User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Anxiety
5.7

Summary of Oxcarbazepine reviews 7.9 205 reviews

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

For Neuropathic Pain: "I’ve tried many prescriptions for foot neuropathy with hardly any relief. Neither Lyrica nor a very high dose gabepentin worked. Oxcarbazepine does work for neuropathic pain!! I’ve been on 150mgX3 daily for over a year and it given me relief like I haven’t had in years!"

Hollywood (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 17, 2018

For Anxiety: "I don't like this medicine at all. I was taken off depakote as it affected my liver. And, was put on oxcarbazepine because of anger and aggression. I feel more anxious on this med, but I am numb. I don't feel anything. And, have been made stupid by it. I cannot remember things and don't really care much."

Mag (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been dealing with severe major depressive disorder, PTSD and ADHD for years. I attempted suicide recently and I had accepted I would never feel “normal” again. Depressive ruminating suicidal ideation has become my norm and I was non functioning. I have been on a dozen SSRI’s and have been on anti-psychotics in low doses along with 30 XR adderal plus 225mg of Effexor which had taken the edge off but was still experiencing break thru depression. A new doc encouraged me to go on Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal) and although skeptical I had nothing to lose. I started out on 150mg and slowly titrated over 2 weeks to 450mg (150mg, 3 x’s a day) and it has changed my life! I feel completely normal for the 1st time ever! I have zero fleeting or ruminating thoughts of suicide and feel joy every day. I am able to fully function and sleep well other than some weird dreams. I can deal with that. So grateful."

Depressed and suicidal April 27, 2018

For Neuropathic Pain: "I have suffered for years from migraines and neuropathy pain. This medication has relieved my pain and I am grateful. I take 300 mg twice a day and have gained a few pounds but it’s worth it. I am able to function without constant pain now."

Jill (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 9, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "In September 2017 the TN came back full force with pain lasting 1-2 minutes then lingering afterwards. Pain is along all my upper teeth on the right and sometimes it'll tingle to my chin, nose and temple. I went about 3 months without medication. Oxcarbazepine is the only medicine I've been on and it works well but I'm not pain free. It took about 2-3 weeks to get good results on the medicine. I'm up to 1 pill (150mg) 6x a day or every 4 hours. I have none of the listed side effects but I cannot miss or be late on the medication. If I am, then it will take about 1 week for the medication to become effective again. I have had to increase my water intake, my appetite has changed some and I've gained weight (but I'm also on Birth control). I think eating more and drinking more water helps (old school). My neurologist said I may need to add salt to my diet to combat the sodium decrease I could experience. An MRI and blood test was conducted before the medication was prescribed."

Autumn B April 7, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Been on this medication 2 weeks now. Was excited about pain relief until headaches started and I broke out in a rash on face and upper body."

Ally April 3, 2018

For Neuropathic Pain: "I tried several different drugs for the neuropathy pain in my feet. The pain was so bad I couldn’t sleep, walk or even just sit on the couch with my feet up without major pain meds. Oxcarbazepine is the only drug that made it get better and took away the excruciating pain. I’m so thankful for it. Truly amazing!"

Hollywood (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am BP2 and have been on so many drug combinations for the Disorder. I gained about 30 lbs on Depakote/Zoloft combo. The absolute worst is when I was put on Topamax. Anyway, I was recently moved to Trileptal. I thought to myself here we go again. The first week sucked because I had a never ending headache and nausea. The second week I debating going off the drug, because I was seriously sick and tired of feeling sick. But, I decided that I would try something different by eating small meals every couple of hours and that ended the nausea right away. The headache went away about midway through that week. This has been the absolute best I have felt in years!!!! I am so happy not to he hungry all the time like I was on the Depakote. I am hoping that my hair starts growing back, because on the Depaoke half of it fell out. My quality of life has really improved. My moods are stable, and I feel great and want to go to work everyday!"

Anonymous March 12, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "This medication made my trigeminal neuralgia liveable, controlling all the spontaneously triggered attacks I frequently had, with only symptoms remaining when I triggered them myself...furthermore this seems to be improving after one month of treatment!"

Fester March 9, 2018

For Anxiety: "I was having bad anxiety at night that would prevent any sleep. Some nights if lucky I'd only sleep 3 hours at most. So then my Dr told me to take this and instantly noticed a difference I'm actually able to sleep now!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2018

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia in 2011 after 2 root canals and 2 crowns. A new dentist sent me to an oral surgeon who knew what it was right away. Saw a neurologist and he confirmed the diagnosis and prescribed oxcarbazepine. It took a number of weeks to ramp up the meds to the correct level due to nausea. Currently taking 900mg at night. Really makes me feel loopy and drowsy. I have been pain free for most of the past 6 years. I also play trumpet daily, which amazes my neurologist. However, I feel I am not as sharp as I used to be (just turned 60) and have memory problems to the point of literally not recalling details of recent things. (Long term memory is fine.) There are also times during the day that I feel very sleepy."

Annoymous1976 February 14, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) a week ago. I started noticing relief of my manic symptoms almost immediately. This medication helped calm my mind down from racing thoughts and manic outbursts. I've tried so many medications in the past that didn't work for me. This medication is a Godsend. Right now I'm on 600mg per day."

Tabitham227 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was recently started on trileptal for bipolar disorder. I have never had such a quick and positive response to any medication with years of medication trials, including other anticonvulsants. I have virtually no side effects. The only thing that feels uncomfortable for me is how quiet my mind has become. I'm accustomed to numerous streams of thoughts and ideas, which was great for my creative work. I also have PTSD, and this medication also works wonders for most of those symptoms as well. I don't have the same emotional reactivity and associated physical reaction. I don't have intrusive thoughts. I like that there are not as many risks with this medication as there are with others. The main one to watch out for is low sodium, but it's not hard on the liver and doesn't cause weight gain. I feel like I've been given my life back. I can't believe, with every medication I've tried over the years, that I'd never been tried on trileptal. It's been amazing."

tma18 January 31, 2018

For Bipolar Disorder: "My daughter was diagnosed 2 years ago with several different mental health problems, she's been dealing with these issues for years, but seems like we couldn't get the right help for her, she had a manic episode 2 weeks ago, I had to have her hospitalized, they put her on the triliptal and by the time she came home she was a totally different person, she's so calm and mellow, I can tell for the first time in a long time, she seems at peace in her mind and actions, best medication I've seen in a long time, thank God and the doctor who finally found her some relief, including myself"

Mother's love January 6, 2018

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) for : "After expensive, unnecessary dental work and a little research, I diagnosed myself with Trigeminal neuralgia (TN). Took a little convincing to make a believer out of my doc, but finally got a consult with a neurologist. He was doubtful until I described my symptoms, which were typical TN symptoms. Trileptal is my 4th major TN drug to try (new neurologist) and at first it was a godsend. I've been on it a little over a year now, and am on neurontin an baclofen as well for other pain issues. It has in the last week just quit working. I still work as an RN in ICU and am scared to take too much more because I need my mind to function at top capacity. I already feel a little slow thinking from all the meds I'm on, but can't function without them."

DogMomRN (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2017

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) for Seizures: "I started taking Trileptal when Tegretol stopped working for me. I love this medication. I developed epilepsy following a head injury (diving accident) when I was 8 years old. I've had seizures (daytime absence, daytime partial, nocturnal grand mal) since then. Tegretol worked for me for years, then stopped working. Trileptal has been my only seizure medication for the past 11 years and I couldn't be happier. I have to add salt to my diet, and I get very flush whenever I exert myself, but being completely seizure free is worth these small inconveniences."

girlwiththebadbrain November 21, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking this med 600mg once a day at bedtime for 5weeks. It seemed to help stabilize my mood but I noticed more hair coming out than usual. I found out that it makes birth control pills less effective. Unfortunately, I can't continue this med for those reasons"

Moni89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Very effective and low side effect profile in my experience. I didn't take my second dose by accident and I notice a huge difference. Trileptal really helps specifically for severe mania in combination with a neuroleptic."

djrastab (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine saved my life. I would of never been able to finish college. it took two trips to the psych ward and complete honesty with the doctor to get me the right medicine but ever since I've been put on it- no more pounding heart, no more manic episodes, no more depersonalize. It is truly a blessing to experience life a little better."

al dude (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've had Trigeminal Neuralgia for 5 years. First Rx prescribed was Lyrica. I had a foggy brain and had major balance issues. Next was Oxcarbazepine. I seemed to build up a tolerance and then it just didn't seem to control the lightning bolts feelings in my face. In pain, couldn't talk, brush my teeth, kiss my spouse, wash my face, etc. , without intense pain. Next was Oxtellar XR. FINALLY found something that works. Had to play around with the dosing. I now take 900mg at 10pm and 600mg at 10am. It doesn't take the pain away completely, but now it's tolerable, just a low level zing, instead of the lightning bolts."

Taser (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Purchased the Trigeminal Neuralgia kit from Biogetica. Big waste of money. Did nothing for me. Side note; I've had this condition (extreme facial pain, left side) going on about three years now. At first mostly lighting bolt types of pain but now it's getting to last for five / ten seconds which will be unbearable pain. Triggering it can be something very minor. Touching any part of my head, light wind, eating etc. Making an appointment now to see a specialist."

Don T (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2017

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Had taken 150 mg twice a day, had a very difficult time swallowing while eating, literally had to cut my food into tiny pieces. This mellowed after 8 days, still always had to have a glass of liquid when eating. Went to 150 mg. twice a day. Taking it with Neurontin, it did relieve my pain for 30 min. in the morning, not every day, but it was better than continuous pain."

marmie2003 September 23, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have bipolar 1, extremely dangerous highs and extreme lows. I also struggled with anxiety. I was always so anxious that it felt like bricks were crushing my chest all the time. I was in and out of Dr's offices trying to get help. It wasn't until age 32, when I was hospitalized in a psych ward, suicide attempt because I was done suffering and done with life. I had a psychiatrist try trileptal. I've tried numerous anti depressants and mood stabilizers and I didn't think this would work. Literally days later, I woke up without the chest crush feeling. I didn't even know normal people felt that way. Then I noticed my moods stabilizing. Been calm and mellow ever since. This saved my life. No noticeable side effects for me."

KikiBub September 7, 2017

For Anxiety: "18 year old Female- I have been taking oxcarbazepine (trileptal) for almost 3 years now ( for my PTSD), and while it does help manage my PTSD I experience some unsettling side effects daily such as nausea, fatigue , and recently I was diagnosed with chronic hyponatremia which my doctor has link to my oxcarbazepine because it lowers your serum sodium levels in your blood. Within the last 4 months I have started having acute migraines if I take my trileptal even so little as ten minutes late. In my opinion the long term effects are not worth the decent level off PTSD management. My doctor is thinking of changing my mediation due to the negative effects on my health."

Vivica (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 30, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "Trileptal 600mg TID Numerous others Trileptal seems to be the topic at hand. I was on Trileptal years ago and then went off my meds altogether for a few years. Upon restarting my psych meds my prescribers tried me on several meds all the while I kept mentioning that trileptal had helped me immensely in the past. Finally, out of frustration if I had to guess, I was put back on Trileptal. The climb back up the ladder to find my dose has been long and unpleasant, but I have found a place finally where my thoughts have slowed enough to think straight, and my manic highs have been brought down to a more manageable base level."

Jake Maly (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2017