User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Anxiety 6.1
Summary of Oxcarbazepine reviews 7.8 265 reviews

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

I am a survivor July 24, 2020

For Seizures: “Ive been using this drug oxcarbazepine for maintenance of seizures now for 6 years , it has been a blessing I am able to have my independence and enjoying life!”

Kim · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Was diagnosed with bipolar type 1, OCD and a some ADHD. The first two doses was half a tablet. The second day I took half a dose, I felt normal for the first time in my life. I wanted to cry. Then I took 1 full dose for the next two days and I felt even better. The 5 day was 1.5 tablet and it made me super duper tired and sleepy (thank God I wasn’t working). So I went back down to one tablet. Ever since I stuck with that tablet, my racing thoughts and the impulsiveness improved A LOT! I feel more focused. I actually think before I act. I don’t really care what people think about me as much. People told me I am more calm and honestly. God bless the people who made this drug. I did have an increase hunger but I controlled it and it doesn’t affect me anymore. I can't wait to go to my follow up with my doctor and tell her about my improvements!”

Sinrn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I took trileptal for 8 months for bipolar type 1. I was rapid cycling due to an antidepressant but the trileptal was very effective for stopping the cycle. My mind wasn’t going a million miles an hour anymore. However horrible dangerous side effects starting with dizzy and nausea. At 8 months hives on my skin. Rash on my palms and it was in my mouth. Scratchy throat and respiratory problems also. Stopped cold turkey and now I’m cycling into depression”

Epiwarrior · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 30, 2020

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) for Epilepsy: “I got diagnosed with Epilepsy on 7/3/15 after having 9 absence seizures in a 3 hour period. I was put on Keppra 250mg 2x/day and over the years it’s increased to 1000mg 2x/day. The seizures weren’t going away or becoming less frequent. In August 2019 I was put on Trileptal 300mg 2x/day after finding out I was also having complex partials and this pill was my miracle. I haven’t had a seizure since!”

Hmmm · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “I've been on this for half a month & I took Lamictal prior to this. So far is been positive mentally & I'm much more balanced. Physically I'm on the lowest dose but instead of my usual reflux I'm getting more nausea. Also strangely my knees are more limber but my back is so stiff that it makes noise (snap, crackle, pop) when I squat. My thirst has increased slightly and I find that I cry more but I feel less depressed. The anxiety level I have is way down but now tends to revolve around thoughts of covid effects on society or the severe side effects that could pop up, I know this isn't likely to be the right dose but I'm nervous about taking the dose higher”

Em May 3, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “87 yr old. I've had TN for about 5 years now, gone through multiple drugs (gabapentin, baclofin, lyrica, and oxcarbazepine) and surgeries. As far as drugs go I feel oxcarbazepine has helped the most. It took some time for my body to get over the nausea but eventually became used to it. Just take nausea medication to help while your body gets used to it. The fatigue, dizziness, and lack of thought process is improving as I've slowly reduce the meds.”

Sweaty · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “This medication Triletal has made my moods extremely stable in a short time. It also is helping with my anxiety, PTSD and acne (dries the skin). So glad that I switched from Lamictal. However I'm extremely frightened by the blood disorders this medication sometimes causes (loss of red blood cells, immune cells and/or platelets). But on balance seems safer with less risk of skin rashes/encephalitis than Lamictal. Won't assign a number value but wanted to offer a bipolar review as none here yet & will update with further feedback later. PS may actually help me hair thicken & shampooing much less often, big relief in Summer”

Theresa · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2020

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: “I’m on 1200mg oxcarbazepine currently. My TN is under control. I am extremely dizzy and sleepy.”

StrongMan · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 4, 2020

For Epilepsy: “Have come across Trileptal in the last year through my 20 year journey with Epilepsy & whilst I'm still having some shifts in my seizure quality Over this whole period of having Epilepsy all this time, the no.1 Anti-Seizure medication I found, was Keppra 1000mg twice daily. Sad part was that it had a strange way of influencing me to go & drink alcohol.... Trileptal isn't so bad”

yoman · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “At 300mg oxcarbazepine daily, my racing thoughts from bipolar have calmed down and I feel normal for the first time in my life. My anxiety is gone or nearly so. I have BP2 and panic attacks. I also take Ativan although it seems that I need less of it with Oxcarbazepine. I feel a little sedated but hope this goes away in the coming weeks. This is the first medicine that has helped at all. I am surprised and thankful.”

JP · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “Put on oxcarbazepine for bipolar and did not notice a change with my mood, put on 10 pounds in a month. The headaches and brain fog were awful. Ate like a horse. No thanks. Stopped and the weight is slowly coming off. I’m so tired of hearing weight neutral, before given a prescription. I have been playing this game for way too long.”

"Ed" · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

For Seizures: “I did not believe I had bipolar disorder and suffered greatly over the course of a few years. Finally the disease took its toll and I had to accept the facts. The Trileptal is has been such a relief! The doc wants me to keep increasing the dose to 1200 mgs a day but it is effective for me at a lower dose. Good Luck.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 28, 2020

For Bipolar Disorder: “This is a serious weight gainer. Doctor said no but 15 pounds. This after 30 pounds from saphris. Very bad. Can’t lose the weight and always hungry. Next will try Vraylar, but it is also a weight gainer. Doctor will not give me Topamax.”

Jav · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 1, 2020

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) for Epilepsy: “Taking trileptal for 5 months. Female. 450mg twice a day. No seizures but memory is now horrendous and I'm so dumb and numb. Also the 5-7% chance of having a deformed baby is not worth it but I'm stuck because all the seizures meds are horrid. Also now experiencing constipation.”

KR · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 31, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “After many other meds that didn’t work for bipolar II, oxcarbazepine really changed my life for the better. Also a word of caution after 2 years of never missing a dose, my doc is on vacation and I need a refill. I halved and quartered and now I’m out of them completely and MANIC! Don’t let this happen to you. Peace to you all.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 19, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I absolutely love this medicine oxcarbazepine for bipolar. It was the first medicine we found to really help after some trial and errors. I take 1200 mg a day, with 300mg 4x a day. We tried 2 pills at 600mg a day, one in the morning and one at night. But I found I would get into this weird drowsy high state, i couldnt walk and felt so out of it. We switched to 300mg 4x and it works perfectly, occasionally I'll get the high feeling but a nap takes it right out or just wait 15-20 minutes. This medicine in combination with Invega and Wellbutrin is my daily medication, helps my bipolar and depression.”

Nadine December 10, 2019

For Epilepsy: “the drug is effective in stopping partial seizures but it has many side effects mainly hair loss and thinning, interactions with several other drugs, interaction with female hormones (estrogen and progesterone), a small weight gain. my 14-year-old daughter has been taking it for 4 years, the effects started after a year, and are increasing as and when. What is the solution?”

Caneman56 · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2019

For Anxiety: “Also helps with racing thoughts. I have 300 mg but have to break it in half. Stops insomnia!! I get a deep, deep sleep.”

dalefeve · Taken for 10 years or more November 27, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “I’ve taken this Rx oxcarbazepine for 10 years for Bipolar 1 disorder. It has caused increased sodium levels when I exceed 600-900mg but, it does help me at 600mg per day. I have tried 6-7 other meds for BP but, I always have come back to oxcarbazepine. The others are simply too strong and left me cloudy and confused.”

Stevie · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “This drug has changed my life. I was misdiagnosed for years and told I have depression only . Was on Zoloft and thought that was how I was supposed to feel . Mood swing almost everyday for 10 plus years . A rocky marriage and a sub-standard father. I turned to alcohol because it was the only thing that made me feel good. Once I was officially diagnosed as bi-polar after a complete meltdown and hospital stay, I can honestly say I feel 100 percent better and no longer abuse alcohol . It calms my moods and allows me to have a healthy relationship with my family . Currently taking 300 mg twice a day and also in Lamictal 100 mg twice a day . I feel amazing”

Cedar · Taken for 10 years or more November 18, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Have been on trileptal for 15 years for bipolar. 600mg twice a day. Worked very well for me. Developed critical hyponatremia after an illness and was told I must withdraw from drug. Extreme difficulty dropping even a small amount. Lost motor ability, developed psychotic symptoms. Landed in emergency. Did very slow taper to 480mg twice a day and fairly functional. Be very careful if withdrawing.”

Insomniac Too · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 17, 2019

For Bipolar Disorder: “Trileptal was the first medication my doctor prescribed for my bipolar disorder and I never noticed a difference. The dosage went up, up to 1800mg a day at one point, then down, to the current dose of 300mg. It didn't help with my mood swings, not at 300mg, not at 1800mg. I had no side effects, but I would have preferred a medication that works. I'll be off of it soon enough.”

Bebegurl November 7, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have been on oxycarbazine for about a year now, I have to say it worked GREAT for my anxiety for the first 3 months. It stabilized my mood, as in I didn't flip out on stupid, or small things. I didn't have anxiety at all, I got excited that I could go food shopping!! I know that sounds stupid but I've been battling severe depression and anxiety for over 4 years now. I had an accident almost 5 years ago and it left me crippled. Since then I have slowly gotten worse. I never had anxiety before in my life, never even understood”

Epilepsy201 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2019

For Seizures: “I have to take 1800mg of Trileptal a day for Focal Epilepsy and it works well for that, considering I take 800mg of Vimpat a day for a secondary epilepsy therapy as well. Trileptal though, just like its sister drug Tegretol. I could swear it gives me some kind of Bipolar disorder as a side effect combined with some kind of ADHD. Thank goodness Trileptal is helping people though. Good luck out there.”

Palante54 October 27, 2019

For Anxiety: “I have RRMS. In April I had another brain MRI. The results indicated a new brain lesion on my brain. 2 EEGs were also administered. My neurologist stated I was not experiencing vertigo, but possibly having seizures, convulsions or fainting spells. I was placed on Oxcarbazepine, 300x 2 a day. I am now experiencing extreme anxiety. My neurologist first thought the anxiety stemmed from the steroids and it would go away. It hasn't and it has only gotten worst. He now states it is my MS. I am using cannabis for the anxiety. Sometimes it helps and other times it does not. The neurologist prescribed low dosage (2mgs) of valium. I've taken it, on and off, yet sometimes it is not effective. I am concerned about addiction to Valium. I am forgetting things. I have tingling, numbness and feeling hot inside of my body. I went from being a very independent active person to doing very little. Is anyone else experiencing extreme anxiety due to Oxcarbazepine?”