User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Seizures

Also known as: Trileptal, Oxtellar XR

Oxcarbazepine Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

I am a survivor July 24, 2020

“Ive been using this drug oxcarbazepine for maintenance of seizures now for 6 years , it has been a blessing I am able to have my independence and enjoying life!”

"Ed" · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“I did not believe I had bipolar disorder and suffered greatly over the course of a few years. Finally the disease took its toll and I had to accept the facts. The Trileptal is has been such a relief! The doc wants me to keep increasing the dose to 1200 mgs a day but it is effective for me at a lower dose. Good Luck.”

Epilepsy201 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 29, 2019

“I have to take 1800mg of Trileptal a day for Focal Epilepsy and it works well for that, considering I take 800mg of Vimpat a day for a secondary epilepsy therapy as well. Trileptal though, just like its sister drug Tegretol. I could swear it gives me some kind of Bipolar disorder as a side effect combined with some kind of ADHD. Thank goodness Trileptal is helping people though. Good luck out there.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 14, 2019

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I had my first seizure at the age of 20, I am healthy otherwise. I was diagnosed with a typeof seizure caused by a small Heterotopia and put on 600 mg of Trileptal twice daily. I was seizure free for 15 years until 3 days ago. The only side effect was weight gain. I see my neurologist tomorrow and am anticipating an increase in dose. I would highly recommend this medicine to anyone doing research.”

girlwiththebadbrain November 21, 2017

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I started taking Trileptal when Tegretol stopped working for me. I love this medication. I developed epilepsy following a head injury (diving accident) when I was 8 years old. I've had seizures (daytime absence, daytime partial, nocturnal grand mal) since then. Tegretol worked for me for years, then stopped working. Trileptal has been my only seizure medication for the past 11 years and I couldn't be happier. I have to add salt to my diet, and I get very flush whenever I exert myself, but being completely seizure free is worth these small inconveniences.”

Shawn Hassan June 25, 2017

“The biggest problem for me with this medicine is bad taste and lack of appetite . Everything smells horrible and I am loosing weight like crazy. Anybody else has similar experience?”

alfred marta June 14, 2017

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “My daughter is 5 years old and has been healthy, and has been developing at a normal rate. I heard a loud thud. I found my daughter on the floor. There was vomit on the bed and my daughter was on the floor. It lasted 15 minutes. It was so scary. She was jerking very violently, and her eyes were rolling in the back of his head. It was horrible. No one should have to see their child like that, my doctor is saying she's had seizures. She had an MRI ,an EEG,they did a spinal tap. After returning from the hospital, my daughter experienced vomiting, I could not bear to see my daughter going through this problem at the early age of her life. I read a lot of fake testimonies at blogs, facebook and website of people that was cured from seizure”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 4, 2016

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “Although this medication did decrease my daughters absence seizures, if she took this at any time 30 min before or after eating, she had a severe reaction. Her throat would burn inside and out, her face would flush, she would get dizzy and unable to focus. This would last about 5-10 min. and then she would get so tired, she would instantly fall asleep and sleep for hours. She was at a pretty high dose during this time 1050mg 2x daily. We finally stopped this medication, because of the stress of having to watch so closely when she ate and when she could take this medication.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 16, 2016

“17mo old w/ presumed localization related focal partial complex & secondary generalized tonic clonic seizures replaced Keppra w/ Trileptal. Seizure characteristics changed/worsened, frequency & duration increased from every 4-10wks to weekly & from ~10min to ~15-45min w/ severe respiratory distress leading to numerous ambulance transports & hospitalizations. Though not ill, chronic respiratory distress developed such that O2 supplementation was required at 0.5lpm awake & 1.5-2lpm asleep. After >2mo of regular dosage increases following seizures, she was admitted to prolonged Video EEG following transport. Trileptal was weaned & in 3 days no O2 was needed, nothing was captured in 5 days & she remains Trileptal/seizure/O2 free weeks later.”

Marge S July 17, 2016

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I have temporal lobe seizures. I have taken Trileptal for many years and it has helped controlled the seizures. However; I have been having issues with low sodium. The doctors blame it on the Trileptal. So to fix the problem, they suggest eating high sodium foods, fluid restriction, and no water. Water dilutes the sodium. They also suggested that I add about a teaspoon of salt to my meals. So what I do for thirst is drink Gatorade but only a few sips. But you got to becareful and not to drink more than a liter of fluid in a day as this is what is recommended by the doctor. My neurologist recommended that I drink gatorade. So most of the time I drink Gatorade when I eat my meals.”

doglover68 October 22, 2015

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I have been on Trileptal for about a month now. I'm taking 300 mg twice a day. I had an abnormal EEG and diagnosed with right-sided temporal lobe epilepsy. I started having pain 5 yrs ago -intense, daily pain in my right eye and eventually extended further up on the right side of my head (which is related to the epilepsy). I was also suffering from repeated inappropriate thoughts (of sexual nature) very disturbing and disrupted my life. I have since found out that OCD behavior very frequently accompanies temporal lobe epilepsy. Trileptal has stopped the partial sz and inappropriate thoughts. Indocin 25 mg is controlling the pain. Hope this helps others.”

Chris-T July 21, 2015

“I have been taking trileptal off and on for 13 years. I tried keppra for a short time but I developed anxiety at night. Switched back to trileptal I've gone from 3 or 4 seizures a month to seizure free. I don't really experience to many side effects just a bit more sleepy during the day.”

enlarged breasts, ringing in the ears, frequent urination June 2, 2015

“All this came about when I felt ringing in the ears from the other seizure meds I changed over to this present med and now have all the above, but I can't cut down as I end up passing out on the street while walking, or sometimes when I drive a car, so I have to take the full dose and put up with the side effects”

lolay918 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2015

“Been taking trileptal to control seizures for about 8 months. Have seizures as a result of a low grade, inoperable brain tumor in left temporal lobe. Seizures only last about 2 minutes. Tried Keppra ( did not completely control them, higher does left me in a constant fog and suffering suicidal ideation), Lamictal - developed horrible rash during titration and now Trileptal. Seizures have been controlled, so far, on 750mg AM and PM. I do feel somewhat tired until I get used to the dose and then the doc increase it again. He wants to get to 900 mg AM and PM. I am troubled by the weight gain - a lot! I do use more salt in my meals ( never did before, had to buy a salt shaker!) and drink a sports drink - low cal - each day. I miss my wine.”

Joçao Humberto Silva · Taken for 10 years or more September 1, 2014

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “Due to possible heart failure about 15 years ago I started having partial seizures waking up in airplanes or hotels not knowing were I was for some time and than gradually became alert until I started with many severe seizures. I started with Tegretol and then switched with Trileptal that was very effective. Forgot to take it a few times and had seizures until I became very conscious of the need and since then I am quite well. I need to stay far from confrontations and conflicts. I currently take 1,500 MG daily (600 morning, 300 dinner 600 @ sleep). My sodium level suffered a lot but I am good on it now. The way to balance it is with coconut water, sports drink and adding a bit more on home cooking. It is a super medicine. I miss my red wine!”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more August 8, 2014

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I have spacial seizures. I take 1200 mg per day. It has been 100% effective for the last two years. I had about six months of problems after I began taking Lipitor, but none since I was taken off the Lipitor. I'm a 67 year old male who has had seizures for over 30 years. It has been as effective as Tegretol was until it stopped working after 14 years. I had a short bout with low sodium after open heart surgery.”

jme1980 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 9, 2013

“My 13 yr old son was recently diagnosed with Epilepsy. He has rare Gelastic Seizures. He was having 8-10 seizures every night. Doctors put him on 750mg 2x a day, along with 1750mg 2x a day Keppra. He began the meds in May. By August, he was seizure free. He complained of dizziness and tiredness at first. After about 3 weeks, he seemed to snap out of it. Please give the medication time to work. It can work wonders if given a chance. Everyone is different though, good luck!”

Randi-B34 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 28, 2013

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I'm 33 year old female and was diagnosed with seizures at 31. They came out of no where. Had MRI and a eeg no signs of anything they were normal. With not be able to find what type of seizures they are its hard to find help from anywhere. I tried this medication trileptal and it is a nitemare for me. I started with 2 tablets a day along with keppra that I was already on. They may not work well together. But I've been in trileptal for 1 month now and since the seizures has picked up which I didn't like that at all. I called the doctor which is surpose to be a seizure specialist and she said to up the medication And that's when I noticed they were coming more than they normally do and I noticed up set stomach. No success with it at all!”

David1156 March 28, 2013

Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine): “I am now seizure free! I used to have 3-4 a month.”

ASJ January 10, 2013

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “My son of 7 has been on Trileptal for 2 weeks. Immediately the most evident side effect was solemness. A week into therapy he was playing outside and complained of dizziness, weakness and pain all over. Thanks to literature at Novartis site is very comprehensive so I found out about Hyponatremia (sodium level becoming very low). A few drops of concentrated table salt solution in both ears immediately took care of the problem. As for seizures, he hadn't had any. But then, we only found out about his rare nocturnal seizures by coincidence. He did have night terrors twice a month before. We haven't had any of those yet.”

Jimbo59 October 17, 2011

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “I was having seizures off and on for almost 4 yrs. Diagnosing this was difficult because I could never had a witness or could describe the symptoms. I was averaging 1 per month then I got worse. I had 4 in two weeks but all of them had witnesses. I called my doctor and he ran heart tests and an MRI on my head. That's when he said I had Partial Epilepsy and gave me the Trileptal. I've been taking it for 6 weeks and haven't had any problems since then. I like this pill very much and the best part is its only $4 a month.”

Mike Temple October 6, 2011

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “Very effective to me. Considering, greatly suppressed seizure frequency and low interference from side effects.”

Anonymous February 24, 2011

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “My daughter has been on Trileptal for 2yrs. now and she did have a small seizure during the first 4 months but after increasing the dose to 5ml twice a day she has had nothing but a few migraines since. In another month or two we are planning on slowly taking her off. So I will find out soon exactly how well it has been working.”

Anonymous January 13, 2011

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “My son has been taking this medication for about 2 months now. Before he got on the medicine he was really mean and talked back. I found that he was not happy, crying all the time for now reason at all. He would have a seizure and about 10 times a day. It got where it was really hard. I finally got him to see a great doctor. She put him on this medicine and there hasn't been a seizure yet and he is playing laughing and having fun again. I really thank who ever came out with this medicine.”

Sarita Rani November 6, 2010

Trileptal (oxcarbazepine): “Been taking Trileptal for about a year. Mostly because every 5 to 6 years have to change my medicine because I tend to get immune to them. Have taken Sodium Valproate, Tegretol and Carbamazepine over the last 30 years. With Oxcarb seizures are controlled but not totally gone. Also, am putting on extraordinary amount of weight, looking for other options for what is becoming an obesity problem.”