User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Neuralgia 4 reviews 29 medications

Bipolar Disorder 5 reviews 33 medications

6.2
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 206 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "This medication created the worst two years of my life. I started having seizures my sophomore year of college and am now a senior and I have been on Keppra the past two years. The doctors never explained the severe side effects that would go along with this horrible drug. I used to be always a happy kid and since I started taking Keppra I constantly dealt with mood swings, uncontrollable anger, severe depression, constant thoughts of suicide, weight gain, and hair loss! I can't believe it took me such a long time to get off of this stupid drug. The seizures never stopped either and all the doctors would do is increase my dosage every time. I'm currently at 3000mg a day and am slowly weeding myself off of this drug and going all natural."

Anonymous August 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Anger, moodiness, hopelessness, irritability, trouble making cohesive thoughts, very serious suicidal urge. Same day after first pill of 500 mg."

Concerned Citizen 40's August 14, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: " I Ve had nothing but problems with the Keppera : constant shaking in my arms & legs & pins & needles feeling in my arms & legs severe light headedness no appetite & etc."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Good for Epilepsy but the feelings you get whilst taking them are so bad, I have a feeling in my back of burning and on the inside also as if my tummy is burning also. It is so good for fits if only on them a short while, but not so good to be taken too long. I wish my Docs would understand what they are putting me through with this drug and how I feel, but they do not understand or do not want to !! They just say "so you know better than the Doctors?". I know these drugs are doing me in and seeing Dr about them so wish me luck !! phew"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2016

For Neuralgia: "I haveCranial Hypotension and daily persistent headache so Dr decided to substitute Keppra for Trileptil, it is more effective controlling head pains"

papazaide (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I now suffer from excessive tiredness and lack of energy and I am consulting my GP about an alternative treatment."

Ted Q July 21, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I havery epilepsy since I was a baby. I take Lamictal and Keppra. Last year I had a grand mal seizure. Went to the hospital and everything. I saw my neurologist and she put me on Lamictal XR and Keppra XR. Ever since then I'm having a lot of side effects. I have atleast 10 of them from both Lamictal and Keppra. Having problems from both. My neurologist does not care about the side effects. I'm scared to go outside a lot. I'm moody every day, sleep during the day, insomnia, diarrhea, constipation, etc, it is annoying. I want to be off of thsee pills and want a better life. I rather take something else."

Sam415 (taken for 10 years or more) July 2, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "All depends on the individual I actually found that Keppra made my seizures WORSE. I started taking Keppra and was fine for 2 years with no side affects, no seizures, nothing, then 1 day I had a massive grand Mal seizure the doctors keep upping my dose. Now I am on the maximum dose but still having seizures. Before I took Keppra I had only a few fits in my life now I have them about once every couple of weeks."

Susannaeleven June 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "This medication has been an on and off solution. It used to cause a lot of keppra rage. but am on another medication that are for seizures that also help with my anger bouts."

Dhani (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I was prescribed Keppra 5/3/16 after a Grand Mal at work and an abnormal EEG. I had been having absence seizures for many years, this was my first major. I am having some pretty bad side effects including dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, anger, agitation, and depression. It is tough because I am a single mom and have to work but I go to work and just sit there because I can't concentrate and don't feel like moving. I am still only taking 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening. I was directed to move to 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening after 3 days but I just don't feel like I can handle it. I feel so hopeless and hope that the side effects will subside"

topsoil May 13, 2016

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I starting having seizures after a car accident when I was 18 (now 28). I was told by neurologists that may be the reason for the "trigger" of my epilepsy. I had 3 t-c seizures before being put on the max dosage of 1500mg 2x daily of the keppra. The side effects listed with the drugs usually happen to me but it wasn't hard to handle. Keppra worked for 2 years for the most part. Then it stopped. I began to have night time seizures, then partials, auras, memory loss, anxiety, double vision. You name it it was happening and it still is. I am now with a seizure specialist taking 3 different seizure medications and an anti anxiety as needed. 15 pills. Still having t-c, complex-partials, and partials with all the side effects. Can't work now."

MCHammy May 6, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Within a week suffered suicidal thoughts psychosis hallucinations rages and self harming acts!"

Keppra Sensitive (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Our daughter was diagnosed 7 yrs ago and is now10 . She has tonic clonic and partial seizures sometimes out to 15 in one day bless her . We've tried epilim which was great for about 4 yrs the they crept back up so we tried tegratol and lamotragine together. They didn't work at all , so now she's on keppra. After just 3 days she had fits and was very happy girl . ( she has severe developmental delay) so it is hard to judge how she is feeling , but now she isn't eating and seems very very aggressive, we don't know what to do for the best?!?!?!?!"

Nessquick (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I love this stuff, once we got the seizures under control with correct dose for me, I have had NO side effects, and my headaches stopped"

Penny Coleman 37 April 12, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 25 and have been taking generic Keppra for 2.5 years. I started the drug to control grand mal seizures. It has been largely effective at controlling the seizures (I've only experienced two since starting the meds). However, the side effects are less than ideal. I originally experienced intense feelings of anger and depression and would break down on a nightly basis. I tried taking the recommended B6 supplement and experienced little to no relief. My short term memory suffered horribly and I'm able to recall very little of the first year in which I started taking the medication. I now take Zoloft to combat some of the side effects but still experience feelings of anger, depression, fatigue, and memory loss."

Becky L (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My 11 year old son was given Keppra due to a dual concussion that lead to seizures in 4/2010. He hated the way it made him feel. His neurologist put him on extended release Keppra which cause him to loose 30 pounds within a 3 month span. He was rushed to the hospital due to high sugar - 564 dl. In ICU, he was given Keppra at night, during his sleep, his heart rate would slow down to 50 and set off the heart monitors all night. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with his heart after running numerous test. The medication compromised his system, caused Type 1 diabetes and triggered irregular heart beats. I weened him off Keppra against doctors wishes 10/2010. He has had no seizures since, but still has Type I, he is 17 yrs ."

Rebecca Smyser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I had a heart attack and had a stent which led to a stroke and the need for brain surgery. Miraculously, I was saved by a young neurological surgeon. Seizures followed but the recovery the first 3 months on a lot of different medication made the outlook positive. Medication was lowered and I started experiencing what we feared were TIAs but was finally diagnosed as a form of epilepsy. The first medications did not work well until I have been on Levetiractam for 6 months and everything has improved a lot during that period including memory and mood. I do have the sleepiness at night but not a problem."

Anonymous March 3, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I've been on every seizure medication invented. Keppera or genetic Levatiraacetam is by far the worst one I've been on. The side effects have ruined my life. I gained over 45 pounds the first year on it. I am now almost 70 pounds heavier than I was before I started taking the medication. I can't work anymore because I have severe depression, anxiety & insomnia. I tell people off for the craziest things & am super paranoid all the time. Despite the that I take antidepressants, anxiety & sleeping meds. I used to be a terrific nurse, winning awards & receiving all kinds of gratitude. Now I can no longer do anything. I am terrified to leave the house, take a shower, clean or go anywhere. I have no life, I just exist. Can't wait to get off this!"

Jenna C. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My brother had a tumor 15 yrs ago removed after having a seizure. Takes 1000mg keppra a day. He has mood swings, diarrea if he does eat b4 so, and delusional. Still effective. I started having anxiety attacks n seizures at 24yrs of age. Neurologist perscribed me keppra 500mg daily and 2mg xanax a day when needed, usually I break xanax into pieces as u can because they have little bars to do so. I don't have any side effects besides feeling sleepy at the end of the day. I don't take xanax til after work at the end of the day as xanax does makes me sleepy. Keppra deserves 10 for me. But my brother rates it 7. Every one is different. I know this is for keppra but XANAX is not for anyone a lot of people can't handle the drug and can't control themselves let doc determine."

RyanB (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed at 13 years old with grand mal seizures due to my period. Was put on Keppra 250 mg twice a day. I'm 21 now and still take it. It does control my seizures ( though I still get Aura's once in a while) and I have experienced all the side effects. My parents and friends will be the first to tell you how drastically I have changed from this medication. It makes you very irritable, tired, depressed, CRAZY mood swings and short tempered. Through the years, I've learned to handle it better. When I was 15 I stopped taking them to see if I grew it out of it, suggested by my neuro, and had 3 seizures in 3 days. Have been taking it every day ever since. Keeps me to live a normal life, like drive a car and go to school!"

Anonymous January 30, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "A doctor first diagnosed me as bipolar in 2007. My mania was out of control from about 2009-2014. Incidentally, I had two seizures in 2014 and started taking Keppra. I have noticed the Keppra has also made a difference in controlling mania. I hope this works for others also. I had to mention it because I would not have taken Keppra had it not been for the seizures. I have not had any bad side effects with Keppra."

So and So (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have jerky events that have not technically been epilepsy, but it runs throughout my mom's side of the family and I have just started keppra at 2000mg a day. I have been on topamax for a couple years now and my doc added keppra in conjunction with 300mg topamax a day, since only 400mg of topamax a day was not working and the side effects of memory loss and painful pins/needles were too awful to deal with. Keppra so far has only made me feel a zonked and not too hungry, but my memory is coming back which I am happy about. I also have not had event. I am sure the zombieness will wear off with some time."

Anonymous January 18, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016