User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Epilepsy
5.9

Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 6.4 277 reviews

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "It wasn’t what you would call a fun experience. It was the first of 14 medications I was placed on and I was only on it for two days. They took me off because of how excessively severe the keppra side effects were"

PearKing (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Keppra made me extremely dizzy to the extent I had to hold onto furniture to keep from falling down. My doctor put me on lamotrigine. During the switch, I had a grand mal."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

For Seizures: "Been on levetiracetam for around 9 years for my seizures and the side effects were, harsh the first year, bad mood swings, severe depression and migraines daily but over a couple years the side effects decreased. Plus the levetiracetam controls my seizures caused by brain surgery very well, I only 2-4 seizures in 9 years. Very happy with this medication"

spyro (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 26, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I’ve been on keppra for about 2 years for my seizures and the side effects are on and off. My main problems are I’m extremely short tempered, often very depressed, and most importantly this medication causes so much plaque build up in my mouth. Whenever they raise the dosage on me I have to go to the dentist once a month with issues with my gums bleeding or a tooth being on the verge of being a cavity, and I brush twice a day and floss every night before bed. My dentist was very confused why I had to keep coming in with mouth problems until I told him I was epileptic and on Keppra, my dentist told me of the oral side effects, dry mouth etc."

Bole (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "This drug does work but it also makes me very depressed."

Bella (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2019

For Seizures: "I was put on it by a neurologist who never actually tested me for epilepsy. I saw another neurologist who ultimately diagnosed me with Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES), non-epileptic seizures caused by panic attacks. I was put on 500mg twice a day which was fine but after having a miscarriage my anxiety sky rocketed and I started having seizures so they increased the dosage to 750mg twice a day. That’s when the issues began. Joint and muscle pain to the point I see a PT and orthopedic doctor. Anxiety was so bad. Depression set in. Now I’m going through the withdrawals which are the worse Headaches, anxiety, muscle aches, nausea... basically the side effects you get from the medicine but in reverse."

HairFallingOut (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2019

For Epilepsy: "Kappra should never have made it to the market!!! all doctors are is full of greed to make as much money off of their patients pain and suffering. Patients stop caring about their own lives while on kappra and internal dialogue can easily be referred to as their very own personal HELL."

Whocares (taken for 10 years or more) February 11, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have been using Keppra now for over a year. I have had no side affects from it whatsoever, maybe occassionally my short term memory is not 100% but apart from that I am amazed at it. Compared to the drugs I was taking as a child Keppra has kept me seizure free for over a year now."

Guscrawl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "This is the most horrible medication I have ever taken. My usual personality is calm, reasonable, optimistic, positive etc. Well not with this medication. My husband and I have been married for 43 years, we have had our ups and downs but never thought of divorce. With this medication my husband stood by me. What we went through was uncontrollable everything, crying, screaming, unreasonable, and just plane hysteria. He was a saint, I on the other hand I was totally out of control and could not stop myself no matter how hard I tried."

Divorce drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Experienced mood swings, including increased emotionality (crying, anger, etc.); had difficulty falling asleep/restlessness (tired & wired feeling); muscle cramping and joint aches became more frequent, as well as general body fatigue & lethargy; appetite was lowered and indigestion was common; dry mouth occurred regularly; and forgetfulness, attention problems, etc. were apparent. Seizures did not continue while on the 250 mg twice a day dose, but side effects outweighed the benefits. Especially considering I could not take the full 500 mg twice a day prescribed dosage."

Timilicious (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Epilepsy: "So I have taken keppra for 5 years & it was the first medicine that the doctors started me on. But unfortunately I still have seizures monthly, I mostly have grand mals & I have never woke up in a hospital with memory. So then they upped the keppra to 3000 mgs & also added lamictal & upped it to 600 mg a day, not counting my other meds & its frustrating to never get any answers about any of it .I also don't like the way it makes me feel since they always make me feel tired, mean, lightheaded, and for at least 3 years of dealing with this I have issues with my vision, driving etc.& had to get my glasses tinted so I can handle lights easier. Plus all the things Im not able to do like swimming (might drown), going out, skating, anything to do with bright and, or flashing lights & several other things,& even with all the medicines they have me on I still have at least 1 a month & no meds seem to help my issues. Luckily I have a wonderful seizure alert dog that stays with me everywhere & is amazing at helping"

Del December 3, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I’ve had 2 seizures, both morning after heavy drinking. Neurologist says I have predisposition to seizures triggered by alcohol withdrawal. I was given Keppra in the ER, and then twice daily 500mg prescription to take home. Effects were generally fine, a little spacey first few days but then pretty much back to normal. Neurologist suggested I move to a 1000mg dose once a day of extended release pills. On their recommendation, I took my typical 500mg standard release in the morning, and then 1000mg (2 500mg pills) extended release dose tonight. Dear god the side effects. My whole body became jittery, I was having panic attacks, and my eyes were fluttering so much I thought I’d have another seizure at any moment. I didn’t, and after 6 terrifying hours I’m mostly back to normal. I will no longer take both pills at once as directed, and will instead spread the doses as I had been with the standard release. I’m going to continue to push my neurologist to ween me off these drugs."

John December 1, 2018

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I've been on Keppra XR 500mg ( taking 4 a day, 2 at night 2 in morning) it was great at first but then I started to get really irritable, then along came anxiety and depression, in 2016 I had a son ( had 1 seizure during pregnancy) and 2017 had a daughter ( same scenario) I also had post-partum depression from when I had my son, its worsened over those two years. this will be my 5th year on it and im not satisfied with it at all, I've tried changing my medicine but they won't because it stopped my seizures (grand mal) and I've tried telling them about the depression and anxiety but all they asked "why didn't you tell us this before" but most people deny the fact they have anxiety and depression (like me) to avoid being put on other meds, I've tried anxiety and depression medicine but nothing worked. All I want is off this medicine to not feel like a zombie anymore."

crazy101 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have been on this medication almost since it was introduced, being on other medications that stopped the seizures but had to have blood test every 6 months for liver function, those ones that didn't stop my seizures. Keppra has stopped all my seizure activity with little or no side effects after being on it for the first year. Occasionally I feel the emotional effects of depression, and mood swings but am able to mentally talk myself out of the negative mental state, change the emphasis of what is causing the irritability, and changing my environment ( getting out and socializing, viewing nature, what ever it takes). Overall Keppra holds my seizures from occurring, with minimal effects."

Kent (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I've been struggling with seizures for seven years. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy and put on keppra. I currently take the almost the max dosage 1,750 mg twice a day. I struggled with grand mal seizures so much before starting keppra. Ever since I started keppra I've only had one grand mal occur a year ago. Although keppra helped my grand mal seizures it didn't prevent my partial seizures or otherwise petit mal seizures. Keppra doesn't react badly with other meds or the body. Overall satisfied with keppra!"

Beccaw (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2018

For Seizures: "Keppra has worked well for me. I was on 13 anti-convulsants after I first diagnosed in 1965. Over the years the meds were slowly stopped except for Dilantin. I slowly made the change to 1000 mg of Keppra/levetiracetam twice a day ten years ago and cannot sing the praises of this drug enough."

Granny (taken for 10 years or more) September 22, 2018

For Epilepsy: "Haven't been diagnosed yet but pretty sure I have - Juvenile myoclonic epilepsy (JME), this medicine did work very well for controlling the siezures. I haven't had a seizure while on it however the side effects are just about as terrible. I was given 500mg twice daily and about two months in I would get pressure and tension feelings in my head while at school or in a social environment, I assumed this was an aura of a seizure about to happen, although with my particular case I never had an aura even before a seizure; 10 months later and I have finally come to realize it was anxiety which made me feel as if i was going to have another seizure which only worsened the anxiety. Due to this intense "seizure" feeling I would take more doses of the keppra. This led me to increasing the amount. Due to these symptoms I have pulled away from leaving my house. Two weeks ago I switched to 500mg keppra XR once a day. Started to suffer from actual panic attacks. If you suffer with anxiety or quick temper I wouldn't recommend"

Anonymous September 15, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I started having seizures as a teenager. I have simple and complex partial. I have found that taking Keppra along with Tegretol XR has kept me stable. Another part is making sure you know your triggers (stress, flashing lights, hormonal changes, illness, alcohol, roller coasters, lack of sleep or food, dehydration, etc and avoiding, or at least try to minimize them. The combination of the right medication and knowing yourself and your illness goes a long way."

Sweetsunshine425 (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2018

For Seizures: "I started having myoclonic seizure - the jerky kind - when I was an early teenager. They worsened as I got into college with little sleep and probably too much drinking. After learning to control my sleep and adding Keppra, I never have seizures anymore. It really controls the jerks with little or no side effects. I never feel anxious or moody or any of the things that some of the other people are talking about. I only take 250 mg in the morning and at night I have complete control. Last year I thought I could get off and would be better but is soon as I got off the Keppra the myoclonic jerk seizures started again. I learned my lesson and will be on my Keppra for life"

Annie (taken for 10 years or more) July 22, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Keppra was terrible for me. The worst was the mood swings that were uncontrollable for me. I'm a nice guy, but I literally hated everyone. Fired from jobs for misconduct and anger issues. I had surgery in 2012 and it improved my situation, but I still take Vimpat, Lamotrogine, and have my medical marijuana license as well. Looking and feeling like the best meds combination for me."

CTINFL (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

For Seizures: "This really made my temper worst"

Anonymous May 31, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Keppra has made me angry beyond words, impatient, and now I cry all of the time. It has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion and not being able to control it. I feel like I’m going to explode all of the time. There has to be anything better than this."

Not myself (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Epilepsy: "Is there any other medication to replace ki Keppra ? I also take onfi1 pill at night 10 mg 1000 mg morning and night I am getting bad side effects on this medication like gaining weight, lose any reason to eat .been o. This medication for 20year to long is there anything else? "

Wischeese1 (taken for 10 years or more) April 8, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have been seizure free since 2014. It was two weeks before starting keppra that I had my last seizure so it's been three and a half years seizure free. As far as bad side effects it could possibly have given me attention and memory issues it's hard to say because I don't remember having that great of a memory to begin with but other then that it's been good. I got my license back 3 years ago as I had my second seizure at age 19 and had my license taken away so now at the age of 25 I couldn't be happier. I never look back and think I will have another but I will probably take keppra the rest of my life if it is what is helping me and my epilepsy. I also had allergic reactions to 2 types of anti epileptic medications and then was placed on a drug that wasn't helping my seizures at all so keppra was a God send"

TayorM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "When my Keppra was wearing off, I would start to twitch! I couldn't stop twitching and I was becoming more and more aggressive! My body felt more unbalanced and I fell twice. I encourage you to speak to your doctor to thoroughly investigate what meds are out there that doesn't make you mean and walk like a twitchy drunk!"

Twitched too much! April 3, 2018