User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Epilepsy 5.5
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 6.0 312 reviews

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Not Nice Drug Boy June 9, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I've been on Levetiracetam for about 6 years now and it's controlled my seizures which started when I was 22 years old. The depression, anger, mood swings and general numbness are too much. I've lost friends and nearly lost a partner. I never used to get panic attacks and now I do. I mistake them for Auras sometimes which just heightens the sense of dread. Occasionally I accidentally miss a dose and wonder why I feel so happy that day, then it hits me... I feel like reading these reviews has helped me to come to a decision to change, so thanks everyone. That being said I'm sure this could work for some people, so don't be scared of it as a medication, just be aware that if your mood changes or you start feeling depressed that it's not just you turning in to an awful person and could be the medication. Also I'm in the UK, so NHS will change my meds for free no qualms. ”

CB June 9, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “I have been on leviteracetam (Keppra) for almost 6 years now before that I was on sodium valporate. In the beginning it caused me confusion, slowmo kind of feeling, mood swings and a typical pressure inside my head. But after 2-3 months the effects started to fade away. And about cognitive ability, I didn't find any change, I sailed through tough competitive exam and achieved my goal. I am more confidant right now, and when I get stress or anxiety I do breathing exercise and it helps a lot. So its not bad for everyone I guess. Stay happy.”

JustaGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

For Seizures: “I had a seizure March 27th 2020. Found out I had a brain tumor. Doctors went in on the 29th and April 1st couldn't remove it all. The remaining tumor is slow growing and is benign. I'm prescribed 500mg of levetiracetam twice a day to stop the seizures. Until today, I didn't realize that drinking alcohol can induce seizures. I am a daily drinker. I have had about 6 clonic seizures. Had one April/2020 and they upped me up to 750mg twice a day. Yesterday I had one beer, felt like a seizure was coming on. Have had weird feelings about being outside, a sense of panic, and almost like I'm trying to talk myself into having a seizure. Like I'm barely in control. I would not drink alcohol, or not very much. I believe my was body craving alcohol while sleeping. I never had the anger issues, but recently it feels more like anxiety. Be very careful with the amount of this drug that is prescribed. I can definitely feel the difference since this "slight" increase. My son (at age 12) had to be taken off it. His behavior really changed.”

Jimmy John Jones · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 5, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Been taking keppra the whole time I've had epilepsy which will be six years come next Christmas Eve. It will make you irritable the first few weeks, but that passes. I have one grand mal seizure once every three months. It's an alright drug if your epilepsy isn't a "I have one every hour" type thing. (: Good luck!”

OwenD · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “I have been on Keppra for 12 years and at first it improved my seizures, been epileptic for 29 years. However side effects are brutal. The lack of sleep affects my day to day life the depression and panic attacks are awful and the rage can be horrendous. Generally I’m a calm person, I meditate daily and have to to keep from screaming at everything. It’s like always being at your worst and there are days you question your own sanity or the point of carrying on. I am trying to convince my neurologists to find an alternative to this awful tablet as I’m now at the point where I have panic attacks even leaving my bedroom, my vision is constantly blurred and flickering and it feels like I have a CONSTANT aura as I get pre seizure. I’m lucky enough to have not had the suicidal thoughts but even without them I can sympathise with those who do as it may well seem the only way out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I would give it zero stars if I could. I lost 4 years of my life because of Keppra. Did not help my seizures, I almost killed myself 3 different times, I had personality disorder, extreme anxiety & paranoia, anxiety attacks daily if not more than once a day. Anger, rage, I was a completely different person. The same thing happened to two other people I know that were on this drug as well. And the withdrawal seizures have been HORRIBLE and have almost gone into status epilepticus twice. But I am so thankful I found LAMICTAL. All of the Keppra symptoms are now gone, and it actually helps me be happy and joyful.”

Pb · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2020

For Epilepsy: “Hi! I'm 22 years old. Had brain haemorrage at the age of 19, later had an open head surgery for avm at 20.. been taking levipill 500mg twice a day since then. Thankfully I had no seizures or epilepsy till date but the side effects are worse. I have horrible mood swings, agitation, lack of finding words to speak, zoned out, not able to socialise with anyone even family, prefer being alone, irritability, can't control emotions, crying a lot, suicidal thoughts. What I would easily sweep under the carpet, those things outrage me now. Really wanna share my feelings, I'm not this, but idk why I can't. Wanna get rid of this asap..but the doc says I need to take this lifelong to avoid seizures. Can't get worse!!”

Tes · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

For Seizures: “I was give this drug levetiracetam cos my seizures have changed I'm also on oxecarbazen for my big seizures. On levetracetam within 1 hour I was fighting to breath my face, arms and legs were paralyzed all down my left side. It was the worse day of my life it was more frighening than my big cancer op. The doctors said it bounced of my oxcarbazepine they don't work together”

Lou · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I have been taking 3000mg daily for several months now. I have every side effect possible that I need a Carer as I cannot manage daily living. This is my fourth brand of AED in 6 months as the side effects are so terrible. I have had epilepsy for 42 yrs and only since being on AEDs that I have been this bad. Trial and error til I find what works best as I have other health conditions which limits the choices of meds”

Momof4 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Son was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy at 12 years old after 2 tonic-clonic seizures. He was given 250mg keppra twice a day. He had a 3rd breakthrough seizure after forgetting to take 2 doses. After that he was seizure free for three years, including a trip from USA to Europe. Dr. recommended weaning process after normal EEG, which we followed to a T. He relapsed and had a tonic clonic seizure and is back on keppra, 500mg twice a day. He has a reminder to take it at 8am and PM and that helps moderate side effects. His side effects are mostly sleepiness, emotional swings, but being physically active helps a lot. We are hoping keppra works as well the second time around as it did the first.”

Frank · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Have been taking Keppra for more than 2 years now and I have never noticed a problem when using. It has completely stopped all of my seizures and gives me no side effects, on top of that, it is a water-soluble drug meaning that I just urinate it out leaving no way for it to do any damage to me. Currently I am on 1500 mg a day or XR medication. On the first time it was prescribed, I never took it for the sole reason that there were so many side effects listed. I had seizures because of my actions. After taking it, I never had a seizure since and feel better than ever. I recommend use of this medication if prescribed!!”

Zen · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2020

For Seizures: “After a few days, I lost all feeling below my knees using this medication. Once I switched back to by regular generic Watson Laboratories, all feeling came back without issues. I did not have any seizures while taking this medication, but I could not drive or walk more than 20 feet at a time. Brand Keppra XR did not affect me like this either.”

Mommy2009 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “My 10 year old daughter began on keppra 1000mg per day to control her Rolandic epilepsy. The first four weeks were awful, she was aggressive and scary. I needed extra help to stop her attacking her siblings. HOWEVER this calmed down after 4-6 weeks and she I now back to normal. Seizure free (so far) 4 months later. Her mood is back to normal. I would encourage parents to persevere through the first few weeks as it was AWFUL but has improved immensely.”

Phuzzy March 9, 2020

For Seizures: “I am a 41 year old male. 3 weeks ago I had seizure while sitting up in bed next to my wife. It was bad enough that she called an ambulance. They didn't believe me, released me and I had another one in the car. They sent me to another hospital where they believed me and put me on Keppra immediately. I have had no seizures since and very little side effects. I take 500 mg twice a day and my mood has actually improved. I'm more talkative and friendly. I do have some tingling and walking is a bit difficult. But I love this med!”

Pip · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2020

For Seizures: “I have been taking this drug for 14 years. I had a brain injury in1987 but developed clinic tonic seizures following a high -stress domestic situation (since resolved) My initial reaction to the medication were 1 feeling more settled less sleep disturbances ) Seizures ceased completely feeling more connected (less ' abscences ' Lately I've developed the following symptoms which I believe may be attributable to this medication 1 bladder incontinence 2 alopecia”

BelleDonna · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Keppra not only increased my seizures from 3 a year to 5-7 grand mals a week but also kept me conscious during them so that I was able to feel every excruciating moment. Normally the human brain blacks out during a seizure. Thanks to this drug, I was able to feel and remember my muscles tightening and fighting against each other, my head trying to hit again the floor and my legs and arms trying to kick and beat the air. As soon as I was able I switched doctors and medication. This needs to be pulled from the shelves!!!!!!”

Gene February 16, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Been on Keppra for 10?days after second seizure. Have had thoughts of suicide.”

Doobydoo · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Hey everyone at the age 48 my brother was diagnosed with epilepsy seizures at that time he almost died because nothing would stop them. After multiple seizures back to back like 20+ the only thing that would even help control them was name brand medication (Keppra)they started him out at six 500 mg daily. Many different symptoms with this I've noticed over the years so I will list a few: mood swings, anxiety, depression, memory loss of dates & time, agitated, lies. Talk to the doctor about the amount of seizures he experienced since last visit and at times gets violent. This medication still dosn't control them like it should but by taking it he at least has a chance.”

Freddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

For Seizures: “I took levetiracetam for about six months at a relatively high dose, for focal onset seizures. For the first month or so I was absolutely fine, with the only noticeable side effects being the occasional bout of nausea before breakfast. However, at the 2-3 month mark my moods started to worsen, I became withdrawn, lost interest in a lot of my previous hobbies, and just felt pretty rubbishy in general. At the 5 month mark, I had a nervous breakdown and spent a whole night throwing hurting myself. After this, I tapered myself off the medication, and my life improved significantly. Levetericatam is horrible. Wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone, though I'll give it a rating of 2, since it technically got rid of my seizures.”

Forgetful · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

For Epilepsy: “I suffered from delirium from this medication levetiracetam. I didn't even remember my own name. I was in the hospital for a week and they said if I didn't come out of it within 5 days I would never come out of it. I came out on the 5th day.”

Becky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Been on this med for a month it’s absolutely a life saver I had been on trileptal and had increasing seizures even in my sleep this med had stopped them completely as well as provided me with the sleep I haven’t had in years not one side effects whatsoever!!! I’m sticking to them 500mgx 2 tab twice a day”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Keppra makes me sleepy, so I take it before bed. Only other side effect is nightmares, with talking, flailing and swearing in my sleep. Lamictal and Topomax had worse side effects for me.”

B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Worst drug ever in my opinion!!! Here were my side effects- irritability, paranoia, anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite, numbness and tingling in my arms and legs, it would make my aura seizures come more often than they normally would without medication, felt dizzy and light headed, which would worsen during an aura seizure. Made me get aura seizures when I was still asleep and it would wake me up! Made me feel suicidal also. I took the medication for about six months and have had more than enough of it. Was tired each day I could barely get up to do normal things, even to cook. I decided to wean off myself, I decreased dose to half a tablet in morning, hoping it would stop at the very least my aura seizures in my sleep, but it didn’t help. I then thought after a few months- enough is enough. After taking half a tablet in morning for few months I stopped taking it completely. Never felt better. Wouldn’t go back on it if my life depended on it.”

precious moments · Taken for 10 years or more December 15, 2019

For Epilepsy: “Have been on levetiracetam for around 20 years...currently have been completely seizure free for 15+ years...nothing before was able to give me complete control of my epilepsy like this.”

Snoopy · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Nothing out of ordinary. 3 years now on Keppra for epilipsy at a dose less than I'm supposed to be taking since we can't afford it at dosage. 750mg once a day seems to work. 1 aura that didn't go to seizure. No side effects...I'm always angry.”