User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Roweepra XR, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

New Daily Persistent Headache 4 reviews 0 medications

Bipolar Disorder 5 reviews 29 medications

6.2
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 238 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Levetiracetam

For Seizures: "Keppera is NOT a very effective seizure medicine at all. It has caused me to have more seizures rather than reducing the seizures that I have. It seriously NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF OF THE MARKET!!! It's caused me to have more seizures on a daily basis & it has caused me serious cardiovascular problems & it counter acts with the Phenobarbital & it counter acts the Atenolol for my cardiovascular problems that the Keppera has caused me & it has also has caused me to have serious problems with balance & coordination & the side effects of the Keppera is NOT WORTH IT TO ME AT ALL! "

Debi Robertson August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I had my first grand mal seizure on a boat and and then a second in the middle of class. The neurologist prescribed me 500 mgs twice a day and then eventually bumped to 750 mgs. I don't think I've had any side effects from this medication and I haven't had a seizure since I've been on it (10 months). I feel extremely terrible for everyone on this review board with these tragic stories. Yet for me I suppose my brain just accepted the chemical."

ivetriedmanydrugs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Do not take keppa! "

heaal August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "When I take my dose it makes me more sleepy than usual. It's not everyday, but some days I can be sleepy after 7-9 hours when I have slept enough (approx. 7-8 hours). That's the only side effect I had up to now. So I am ok with it, I guess. Annoying with two tablets 500 mg each day, but oh well better than seizures. That's even worse. Those who had them can feel with me. :)"

Keppra addict asswhore August 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I think the definition of hell was the 4 weeks I was on this medication. Every single day I was constantly in a state of panic. If you've had temporal lobe seizures you may know what I'm referring to; the brief state of panic that occurs when a seizure is coming about. I was in that state of panic ALL day. I was in high school at the time and had to stay home nearly every single day. The neurologist tried adding an antidepressant, a xanax, and nothing would calm it down. When my hair began falling out at an alarming rate that was the final straw for me. I had to DEMAND to be switched to something else. I take lamotrigine now and it has completely turned around. My hair finally stopped falling out about 2 months after I quit the keppra."

Beci-023 June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Neuro recently added Keppra to my seizure med regimen. I have absence seizures & the 600mg (the recommended max) of Lamotrigine I'd been on for 16 yrs was no longer as effective. Being middle-aged & female, my seizures developed a catamenial (hormonal) aspect to them. My absences would skyrocket at certain times of the month, as many as 60/day. Been on Keppra for 2 weeks & have only had 1 absence during that time! As for the side effects: near constant irritibility, sometimes a sense of hopelessness, apathy, & mood swings. More often than not, I feel detached from the world...like I'm just watchin a movie & I'm not a part of whats going on around me. I'm weighing the trade-off: no seizures or constant crazy? Gonna give it a little more time."

DawnC714 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "Dizziness, I can not walk or drive when I take this"

LOUIS COBB (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Neuralgia: "No lessening of pain. Caused diarrhea"

59trooper May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Although this drug has paused my seizure activity, I feel like a different person. The first month my mood swings were unreal and almost indescribable. I'd wake up so happy in the morning and be depressed by around 4-5pm. I was and still am fatigued all the time, and little things like walking up the stairs make me out of breath. I also let little things annoy me and unfortunately take it out on the people around me. I have lost 10 pounds since I've started this medication, I have no desire to eat even though I know my body needs food. I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo and it makes me embarrassed at times. My friends will tell me something and I'll completely forget what they said and ask them about it a few minutes later."

Sarai B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Keppra was fine for me at first (500 mg twice a day) for 2 months. I suffer from complex partial seizures and experienced a grand mal recently. Then I experienced extreme tiredness, confusion, headaches, greatly increased my depression, could barely go from my bedroom to the living room (never mind managing leaving my house). I had to go back to my neurologist to get switched off such a horrible drug for me. Aptiom (once a day!) so far is a better choice for me."

Jeweltone (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "My experience on keppra was awful . Partly responsible for me developing a state of encephalopathy. Mood was evil. I was threatening to strangers and family. I'd flip so suddenly from 0 to 100 without warning at the slightest word out of place. I'd say it's dangerous from patient perspective and would not advocate it as a nurse. Thoughts of negative actions... prolific"

Nurse patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "This medication had a negative effect on my daughter. It changed her mood to a negative mood. It made her depressed, and she felt very agitated. It was a very scary experience and would not recommend it to any one."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Extreme rage. Angry a lot. Quick to snap at minor things. Seizures have stopped for 2 1/2 years with a price to pay. I'd just like to try something else but this is the first medication that works after trying 3 others."

Bogiebear March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "So I had times where I'd black out and have amnesia. Basically it would scare my parents and after the second time it happened they took me to the doctor. We went through all the test and they all came back normal except for my EEG. it came back abnormal. I was immediately put on keppra and hated every second of it. I started off with 500mg 2x a day. After the first dose I was hallucinating and very confused. The four hour mark was the worst. I was super loopy and couldn't focus for nothing. the medicine caused me to have mood swings and go into a deep depression. My advice if you have any sort of mental illness DON'T TAKE IT. I've struggled with Bulimia, Anxiety, Depression, and Bipolar disorder for years. Seizures stopped. Wasn't worth it"

Princess Pebbles March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Seizures: "Levetiracetam is a good drug when I take it with fycompa and vimpat. I am now seizure-free. If you are tired or feel confused try vitamin B12. This works great. If your meds do not work have your MD try Video EEG Monitoring. Please check this out."

NYY March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "Keppra, with Vimpat and Fycompa, has been great for me. We all know that it is hard to find the right combination of drugs. Every Neuro I had diagnosed me with the wrong kind of seizures and therefore gave me the wrong meds. I highly recommend Video EEG Monitoring to anyone who has seizures that cannot be controlled. After thirty years they finally figured out my problem and I am now seizure free. I truly wish all of you the best and hope that your seizures are controlled."

NYY (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy in 2010 and was started on depakote, after gaining 40 lbs and still having seizures on that medication, my doc switched me to Keppra XR, initially I started out on 500mg once a day and was feeling a little drowsy but ok, I was still having muscle jerks so she upped the dose to 1500mg once a day and started having severe fatigue, as a college student this was affecting my studies severely. Now, on the same dosage for 3 years, I have memory loss, severe exhaustion and fatigue, headaches and dizziness every day and my school work is being negatively affected. My doc refuses to change my medication since I haven't had a seizure while on keppra XR."

Hana196476 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, have tried alot of different medications over this period and Keppra has always been a constant during this time, with interaction with others Starting on 250mg bd & after a decade I'm now taking 1000mg bd with 100mg bd of lamotragine. The main concern is that I'm always tired" mentally and physically, having to rest quite alot & lack of appetite although I have a feeling that this is due to the combination. I recently had a Petit Mal seizure and the Neurologist advised that it was due to missing one dose of lamotragine, although Keppra by itself is a generally peaceful medication. I have been recently diagnosed with haematomachrosis, iron overload, although they've advised it's genetic."

Mr Strong (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have been on Keppra for about 15 yrs. I received my Epilepsy from a bad car accident when I was young. I received my first Epileptic Seizure when I was 27 yrs old. I have tried every single seizure med made for the severity of my Grand Mal seizures. I now take 5- 500mg pills plus 3- 100mg caps of Dilantin. That is 300 mg shy of brain surgery. I am at piece w/ myself. I know what I have tried, what worked and what didn't. My seizures are extreme. I keep my blood level Therapeutic and have fewer seizures so I know it is working. I still get Grand Mal seizures, just not as many. That proves to me it works. That is all I care about, ME!"

J.M.P February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "This drug has changed my life . I take it along with Tegretol CR. I was having continued absence seizures regularly until I started taking this. Since then i have been completely free of those invasive seizures."

LouR (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "I had my first episode when I was 12 months. The side effects I get are decrease in appetite, forget minor things, & headaches. They couldn't tell what was wrong with me at that time. At the age of 12 years old I had my 2nd episode in my sleep. I found myself crawling to my parents room because I couldn't walk or talk correctly. When I went to the hospital they diagnosed me with epilepsy. What causes my seizures is an enlarge blood vessel on the right side of my brain. I started off with 750mg of Levetiracetam. I only had episodes when I missed 1-3 days of my medicine. Now I will be 19 years old in April & I am now taking 500mg of Levetiracetam. They're lowering the doses as I get older."

Anonymous December 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have had epilepsy from 18 months old started on epilim. By the time I turned 3 I was seizure free till I was 16. Just before my maths exam I had a seizure wasn't exactly sure what caused. I went to my GP I was put on 100mg of lamotrogine then went up to 250mg of lamotrogine finished on 300 the drug didn't work at all. I was then referred to see a neurologist and we started off taking keppra 500mg alongside with the lamotrogine. We then moved to 750mg or keppra with the lamotrogine BD.After all of that we then moved to 1000mg BD since then to know I'm now on 4grams a day along side 600mg of oxcarbazapine and currently on 6mg of Perampanel. I'm getting the drowsiness tiredness and from the keppra I'm turning aggressive."

Luke valentini (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "Have reduced my seizures from about 15 a year to only 3-4 a year, however the side effects greatly outweigh the benefits. Currently suffering and have been for about 6 years now... extreme fatigue, mood swings, high up and down rapid changing moods, anger with extreme anger outbursts where Never in my life was I an angry person, shaky hands, extreme memory loss like 2-4 month gaps, unable to concentrate, irritability, can't even remember simple names of things like cup or brush which is very frustrating because I use to be a grant writer and loved to write poetry can't anymore. Stuffy nose, exaggerated fears, swollen glands, depressed, Social anxiety, I rarely leave my Home anymore, I don't answere the phone, Dr. doesn't care"

labrat ofroguevalley (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "First I had partial seizures (after head injury in 2004) and after grand mal 2014 I almost died because of status epilepticus. After that I am on Keppra 1000mg a day (500mg morning, 500mg evening) for 2 years now. First month or two I had headache and double vision, sometimes I was a bit aggressive but after few months it was ok. For me it is good medicine, now i have 10 petit mals a year and I think that bad-heavy weather changes is causing them. I want to tell you, that after first or second month side effects went away. For me it is important, that I take Keppra with good meal in morning and evening. It is good medicine, just do not give up. Love you all."

balulu (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 12 years old (I am now 27). I have been on lamotrigine and topirimate (separately) in the past, and they both worked to control my seizures. This year My neurologist has changed and she wanted me to try keppra but I was happy on the topirimate so I said no until I had a grand mal seizure. However, the seizures have got worse since taking the keppra plus the side effects are awful. At the start I was so tired I spent all day asleep. After the dosage has increased to 3000mg per day I have started to get mood swings, anger, depression, irritability, plus suicidal thoughts and have become a completely different person - I never used to cry but now I don't stop."

Laura1605 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 4, 2016