User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Keppra, Keppra XR, Spritam, Roweepra, Roweepra XR, Elepsia XR

Levetiracetam has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 339 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of those users who reviewed Levetiracetam reported a positive effect, while 31% reported a negative effect.

Seizures
New Daily Persistent Headache  Off-label
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 5.9 339 reviews

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Dickey · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 25, 2021

For Seizures: “I've had no seizures, which is good”

Cleo March 18, 2021

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Seven years ago my neurologist put me on Keppra because nothing else had worked to date in controlling my seizures. I gained 100 lbs in a year and had anger blowups. I would not give this drug to an enemy.”

Mom · Taken for 10 years or more March 16, 2021

For Epilepsy: “I’ve been receiving this medication for years, I take 1000mg twice a day. Since 1992 I’ve been taking this medication and for some reason, when the bottle comes directly from the manufacturer, there’s never the right amount of medication in the bottle. Every bottle I’ve received from the CVS store is cut short one 2 tablets. When this happens it throws my refill off by at least 2 days. Sadly now I’ll be short once more. I received a letter stating my insurance will not be covering this script. How in the world will I survive without my seizure medication. Currently take two different medication to keep my seizures under control. Can you please explain? CVS says my script will cost over 1000$, there’s no way I can afford to purchase this medication.”

RJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 23, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “over 2 years in now and Keppra is keeping my seizures away but the 2500mg a day has made me a different person for sure . -don’t feel excited to socialize as much. -feel fatigued a lot , can easily dose off if not doing anything that requires my attention. -old memories can bring on strong emotions that normally wouldn’t before and memory is not nearly as strong as it was , constantly setting myself reminders for things i should easily remember.”

Winniw · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2021

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “This drug is horrific and should not exist and any doctors who prescribe it/refuse to take their patients off of it when asked are just awful. My mum was put on this and within 2-3 days of starting it she went from being a happy relaxed person to having multiple panic attacks a day which continued in severity as the longer the drug was in her system, she also started having very negative thoughts eventually resulting in her giving up her will to fight her underlying disease (which she was actually improving a lot). She passed away 3.5 weeks after starting keppra.”

Divorce drug · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “This is the most horrible medication I have ever taken. My usual personality is calm, reasonable, optimistic, positive etc. Well not with this medication. My husband and I have been married for 43 years, we have had our ups and downs but never thought of divorce. With this medication my husband stood by me. What we went through was uncontrollable everything, crying, screaming, unreasonable, and just plane hysteria. He was a saint, I on the other hand I was totally out of control and could not stop myself no matter how hard I tried.”

Nelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Absolutely horrible experience. I was prescribed this after having a breakthrough seizure as part of trying new meds. On Keppra my personality changed 100%. I was despondent, hated life, had no motivation and cried at the drop of a hat. Finally, I knew it was time to go to the doctor to transition off when I hit such a low low. Also started hearing voices. Never once did such dark thoughts occur to me until this-I imagine this is what it’s like to be possessed.”

Guscrawl · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I have been using Keppra now for over a year. I have had no side affects from it whatsoever, maybe occassionally my short term memory is not 100% but apart from that I am amazed at it. Compared to the drugs I was taking as a child Keppra has kept me seizure free for over a year now.”

Guy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2021

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I have had 1 seizure at the end of October 2020. Doctors put me on medication right away. I only took it because they said it was the fastest way to get my license back. My neurologist when I finally talked to him didn't want me on medication first. Had multiple tests done everything normal. Neurologist came back and asked if I was still taking the Medication. I stopped taking it because my wife first noticed I was a lot more irritable, then the longer I took Keppra, iIhad no fuse and would just snap at people. I haven't gone on any other Medication since all my tests results were normal. Now I have the neurologist saying I have to be on medication for at least 6 months, which I don't understand for my first seizure and clear test results. Haven't had any other seizures since and have felt back to normal since going off the medication.”

Mommy2009 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “My 10 year old daughter began on keppra 1000mg per day to control her Rolandic epilepsy. The first four weeks were awful, she was aggressive and scary. I needed extra help to stop her attacking her siblings. HOWEVER this calmed down after 4-6 weeks and she I now back to normal. Seizure free (so far) 4 months later. Her mood is back to normal. I would encourage parents to persevere through the first few weeks as it was AWFUL but has improved immensely.”

Renatajbn November 20, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate.”

Norbryn · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I'm 25 had my first seizure at 24 and have now had my 4th seizure 11/11/14. I went against the doctor with taking medication as I had and EEG done and came up clear so thought it wouldn't be to serious. However now having 4 seizure I've started taking Keppra twice a day. I haven't been tired by the medication and still able to work well. However I'm starting to be early angered and annoyed and moody. What I would normally get swept under the carpet is now agitating me. I'm not enjoying it as I feel like being left alone and in my own space. ”

Kent · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I have been on this medication almost since it was introduced, being on other medications that stopped the seizures but had to have blood test every 6 months for liver function, those ones that didn't stop my seizures. Keppra has stopped all my seizure activity with little or no side effects after being on it for the first year. Occasionally I feel the emotional effects of depression, and mood swings but am able to mentally talk myself out of the negative mental state, change the emphasis of what is causing the irritability, and changing my environment ( getting out and socializing, viewing nature, what ever it takes). Overall Keppra holds my seizures from occurring, with minimal effects.”

Ponyo March 20, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I'm French and am 28 years old. I had my first seizure in 2009. My neurologist gave me Lamotrigine for 2 years, from 100mg daily at the beginning to 400mg at the end. The frequency of seizures has been reduced but I still had some. I arrived in USA in 2011 and my new neurologist prescribed me Keppra because I wanted to have a new medication, more efficient. I take 500mg twice daily. I don't have any seizure since I started this medication, so more than one year now. I'm very satisfied so far, but of course I have side effects and it's sometimes very difficult to deal with. I'm very tired all day long, I need to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I'm like bipolar, sometimes euphoric, sometimes very depressed. I'm a different person now.”

Nessii_619 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 29, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I was taking Xanax 10mg for severe anxiety and Ambien 10mg from suffering from insomnia after having my daughter (10yrs ago) I've never had issues with sleep, but unfortunately, anxiety runs in my family. Both stopped working for a while so I decided to take 1 ½ bars a day and 1½ of Ambien a night. One day I decided to stop taking my Xanax and had ran out of my Ambien for about a week. That's where the nightmare began! Horrible withdrawals, feeling useless, hallucinating, kept myself locked up for days then suddenly I began to have seizures and ended up admitted in the hospital about 7 different times. After trying several different anti-seizure meds, Keppra finally worked for me and haven't had a seizure since. Thank god!”

Sarai B. · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 12, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Although this drug has paused my seizure activity, I feel like a different person. The first month my mood swings were unreal and almost indescribable. I'd wake up so happy in the morning and be depressed by around 4-5pm. I was and still am fatigued all the time, and little things like walking up the stairs make me out of breath. I also let little things annoy me and unfortunately take it out on the people around me. I have lost 10 pounds since I've started this medication, I have no desire to eat even though I know my body needs food. I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo and it makes me embarrassed at times. My friends will tell me something and I'll completely forget what they said and ask them about it a few minutes later.”

Bole · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I’ve been on keppra for about 2 years for my seizures and the side effects are on and off. My main problems are I’m extremely short tempered, often very depressed, and most importantly this medication causes so much plaque build up in my mouth. Whenever they raise the dosage on me I have to go to the dentist once a month with issues with my gums bleeding or a tooth being on the verge of being a cavity, and I brush twice a day and floss every night before bed. My dentist was very confused why I had to keep coming in with mouth problems until I told him I was epileptic and on Keppra, my dentist told me of the oral side effects, dry mouth etc.”

Timilicious · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “Experienced mood swings, including increased emotionality (crying, anger, etc.); had difficulty falling asleep/restlessness (tired & wired feeling); muscle cramping and joint aches became more frequent, as well as general body fatigue & lethargy; appetite was lowered and indigestion was common; dry mouth occurred regularly; and forgetfulness, attention problems, etc. were apparent. Seizures did not continue while on the 250 mg twice a day dose, but side effects outweighed the benefits. Especially considering I could not take the full 500 mg twice a day prescribed dosage.”

Rev · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “Being on Keppra gave me side effects like living a real life nightmare. I heard voices in my head. I saw demons. People's faces shifted and everyone was out to get me. This drug twisted reality and turned my world upside down in only 11 days. Now my seizures are out of control and my life will never be the same.”

Jenna C. · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I've been on every seizure medication invented. Keppera or genetic Levatiraacetam is by far the worst one I've been on. The side effects have ruined my life. I gained over 45 pounds the first year on it. I am now almost 70 pounds heavier than I was before I started taking the medication. I can't work anymore because I have severe depression, anxiety & insomnia. I tell people off for the craziest things & am super paranoid all the time. Despite the that I take antidepressants, anxiety & sleeping meds. I used to be a terrific nurse, winning awards & receiving all kinds of gratitude. Now I can no longer do anything. I am terrified to leave the house, take a shower, clean or go anywhere. I have no life, I just exist. Can't wait to get off this!”

CB June 9, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “I have been on leviteracetam (Keppra) for almost 6 years now before that I was on sodium valporate. In the beginning it caused me confusion, slowmo kind of feeling, mood swings and a typical pressure inside my head. But after 2-3 months the effects started to fade away. And about cognitive ability, I didn't find any change, I sailed through tough competitive exam and achieved my goal. I am more confidant right now, and when I get stress or anxiety I do breathing exercise and it helps a lot. So its not bad for everyone I guess. Stay happy.”

Scott · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: “When first put on keppra, things seemed to be fine. But over time, when I had my annual neuro appointment and I’d tell them of any seizures I’d had that year, they’d up the keppra dosage. And the more keppra I took, the more seizures I had. I didn’t realize that till later. At one point I was on 4000mg (?too much?) of the XR version daily. That’s when I figured that the keppra was the culprit to more frequent seizures. And the after effects of a seizure while on that dosage lasted for days. They were major depression, headache and minor after shocks like another seizure was going to happen. In the past three years I’m working my way slowly off this drug. Now no longer on the XR version, just regular immediate release pills. On 500mg a day. I have less seizures. And if I do, I recover from them within an hour or so. One more thing. On the Keppa XR, keppra rage was no joke. I’d be fine. The out of the blue, just all hateful and mad for no reason. Any little thing would set me off.”

Ronakm1987 December 16, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I had my first seizure in 04/04/14 whilst driving and they found that I had epilepsy. The neurologist put me on keppra. It is by far the best drug I've had to take. Initially it was a pain as I was always angry, depressed because I lost my Driving Licence and tired all the time. All I wanted to do was sleep. However, once it took this medication after 6 months, the side effects wore off and I was getting back to my old self again. Happy and all that. I once forgot to take my tablets for 2 days. I had a seizure. Biggest mistake I've made. I always remember to take my tablets now. I'm fit free now. Please take your tablets. They do help.”

falisamarie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 22, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I am so glad I found this forum! My husband was on Dilantin and it was working well but a few years ago his Dr switched him to Keppra because it was newer. He started having severe depression and mood swings to a point where they diagnosed him with Bipolar. The depression has been getting worse and worse to a point where we almost hospitalized him because I was afraid he may hurt himself. Today I spoke with his mental health provider and asked about trying Depakote and decided to come home and research if he could take both. After reading the reviews I am 100% convinced that it is the Keppra causing his depression and I am taking him to the Dr Monday to have him put back on Dilantin!”

J · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 8, 2021

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “23 year old male, 6'1, 155 lbs. Never had any health issues other than ADHD (diagnosed at age 15) and 2 myoclonic seizures which I just only recently experienced. I underwent a battery of tests (CT, ECG, X-rays, bloodwork, etc.). All of my tests came back completely normal, save for slightly elevated blood pressure. I was put on Keppra 1000 mg, twice daily, as a result. I read up on how nasty the side effects allegedly were, but I found my personal experience with them quite underwhelming in comparison. Symptoms are definitely present though, chiefly gastrointestinal discomfort, irritability, restlessness, and feeling "spaced out". My most concerning symptom is that it has made it quite difficult to find things genuinely enjoyable like I used to. The best way that I can describe it is that it makes me feel robotic. Symptoms are obnoxious, yet manageable with some effort and patience. For seizures, I have not had any recurring episodes since being on it, so I can't say it's ineffective.”

NDfan · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 30, 2013

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “46 yr old male. Over 3 month period experienced 3 auras and finally the first seizure in January '13. Prescribed Keppra by neurologist. 500mg x2 daily. Not a hint of seizure activity since being placed on this medicine. However, I do experience some tiredness (mild). Otherwise leading a very normal life style.”

Soccerfamily July 15, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free.”

Kris78 April 9, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: “I hate this medication! Yes it controls my seizures but it makes me a horrible human being. It causes me to be mean, moody, and angry.I would almost rather have the seizures than have these horrible side effects. next neurologist appointment I am begging for a different medication. And not dilantin or gabapentin either. Both those have given me nasty side effects as well.but what works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for another. Good luck to those of you who are taking this medication. I pray that the side effects are not as bad for you as they were for me.”