User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Neuralgia 5 reviews 29 medications

Bipolar Disorder 5 reviews 33 medications

6.2
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 219 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Levetiracetam

For Epilepsy: "This drug has changed my life . I take it along with Tegretol CR. I was having continued absence seizures regularly until I started taking this. Since then i have been completely free of those invasive seizures."

LouR (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 23, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I had my first episode when I was 12 months. The side effects I get are decrease in appetite, forget minor things, & headaches. They couldn't tell what was wrong with me at that time. At the age of 12 years old I had my 2nd episode in my sleep. I found myself crawling to my parents room because I couldn't walk or talk correctly. When I went to the hospital they diagnosed me with epilepsy. What causes my seizures is an enlarge blood vessel on the right side of my brain. I started off with 750mg of Levetiracetam. I only had episodes when I missed 1-3 days of my medicine. Now I will be 19 years old in April & I am now taking 500mg of Levetiracetam. They're lowering the doses as I get older."

Anonymous December 20, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have had epilepsy from 18 months old started on epilim. By the time I turned 3 I was seizure free till I was 16. Just before my maths exam I had a seizure wasn't exactly sure what caused. I went to my GP I was put on 100mg of lamotrogine then went up to 250mg of lamotrogine finished on 300 the drug didn't work at all. I was then referred to see a neurologist and we started off taking keppra 500mg alongside with the lamotrogine. We then moved to 750mg or keppra with the lamotrogine BD.After all of that we then moved to 1000mg BD since then to know I'm now on 4grams a day along side 600mg of oxcarbazapine and currently on 6mg of Perampanel. I'm getting the drowsiness tiredness and from the keppra I'm turning aggressive."

Luke valentini (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

For Epilepsy: "Have reduced my seizures from about 15 a year to only 3-4 a year, however the side effects greatly outweigh the benefits. Currently suffering and have been for about 6 years now... extreme fatigue, mood swings, high up and down rapid changing moods, anger with extreme anger outbursts where Never in my life was I an angry person, shaky hands, extreme memory loss like 2-4 month gaps, unable to concentrate, irritability, can't even remember simple names of things like cup or brush which is very frustrating because I use to be a grant writer and loved to write poetry can't anymore. Stuffy nose, exaggerated fears, swollen glands, depressed, Social anxiety, I rarely leave my Home anymore, I don't answere the phone, Dr. doesn't care"

labrat ofroguevalley (taken for 10 years or more) December 7, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "First I had partial seizures (after head injury in 2004) and after grand mal 2014 I almost died because of status epilepticus. After that I am on Keppra 1000mg a day (500mg morning, 500mg evening) for 2 years now. First month or two I had headache and double vision, sometimes I was a bit aggressive but after few months it was ok. For me it is good medicine, now i have 10 petit mals a year and I think that bad-heavy weather changes is causing them. I want to tell you, that after first or second month side effects went away. For me it is important, that I take Keppra with good meal in morning and evening. It is good medicine, just do not give up. Love you all."

balulu (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 12 years old (I am now 27). I have been on lamotrigine and topirimate (separately) in the past, and they both worked to control my seizures. This year My neurologist has changed and she wanted me to try keppra but I was happy on the topirimate so I said no until I had a grand mal seizure. However, the seizures have got worse since taking the keppra plus the side effects are awful. At the start I was so tired I spent all day asleep. After the dosage has increased to 3000mg per day I have started to get mood swings, anger, depression, irritability, plus suicidal thoughts and have become a completely different person - I never used to cry but now I don't stop."

Laura1605 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 4, 2016

For Epilepsy: "its is hard to type but after a bad traumatic brain injury I now have seizures and at 39 going on 40 and with this pill I still experience more than 5 seizures per day."

mgru (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I had my first seizure on 6/12/16 and it was a grand mal seizure. The EEG found scarring on the brain from a fall a few years ago. I was prescribed keppra 250mg twice daily and it was awful. I had loss of memory which the pharmacist says was due to mini seizures. I. Had to lock myself into my room on several days because I was in horrible form. I was so angryAfter 7 days I moved up to 500mg twice daily and I must say I have never felt so good, not in years. I am in fantastic humour all the time. I am full of energy. Even my doctor is shocked. I know it's very early days for me to give a review but I think it's worth sharing a good experience after reading so manybad ones. I'm a 34 year old male if that makes a difference to anyone"

AntocorkIreland (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

For Epilepsy: "At present I am taking Lamotrigine 25mg four times a day. Due to some speech problems during the past six months it was decided that I should change to another drug called Levetiracetam. I have looked up the side effects for this tablet and find that the tablet has more side effects than Lamotrigine. What makes Levetiracetam any better to use when the side effects are horrific. Thank you, Lucia Palma"

Lucia Palma October 22, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Worst drug I have ever taken. Been on it for 4 weeks. Not even sure I had seizure to begin with. All tests, MRI and EEG were negative. Trying to wean myself off. Dizzy, headache, depressed, severe mood swings, angry then lethargic. Sorry I ever went to doctor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have had epilepsy all my life. I am 48 and been on Dilantin all my life except for the last 5 months. About 5 months ago I had a grand mal seizure and my family dr. wanted me to see a neurologist since I haven't seen one for awhile. Well after seeing my neurologist she changed my medication to Kappa. I really hate this drug. I would maybe have a few to maybe 4 to 5 seizures a yr. that I could feel coming on, now I have had to many to count in the last 5 months than I have had since I was on Dilantin. All the seizures I have had since I have been on Kappra I have not felt coming on, I am very moody, I feel like crap all the time and over all I hate my life. I just want to get back to myself and go back to work but right now I cant."

CJ Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

For Neuralgia: " Originally I was taking gabapentin which helped a little but ended up making my pre existing tinnitus much much worse. I started doing my own research as my doctor wanted to give me Lyrica or Cymbalta both of which are a big no no for tinnitus patients. I stumbled across Keppra and found a few studies done for nerve pain. I also found that Keppra is the only anti epileptic on the market without tinnitus listed as a side effect. I approached my doctor about this and she agreed to let me give it a try. I started off at 500mg twice a day and now take 750mg twice a day. It has done wonders for my nerve pain! I have managed to have pain free days/weeks and minimal pain over all with no side effect"

GhoulGoneWild September 20, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "So on the 30th of July 2016 I turned 28 my birthday I didn't go crazy and party I spent the day with my kiddies an mum, that night was pored a glass of wine had a sip but wasn't feelin up to it so didn't. The next day on the 31st I woke up with a real sore head felt like I had the worse hangover ever even tho I hadn't actually drunk I felt awful but decided to go in to town anyway with mum, kids an my bestie for a little lunch an shoppin was then shoppin an had 4 grand mal seizures, woke up in hospital with a massive black eye and broken nose with not a clue what was going on, my mum an partner cryin tellin me I had just a scan an they found a tumour So they put me on keppra it's bad I have loads of side effects I feel like I'm going crazy"

Kayleigh's August 31, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "This medication created the worst two years of my life. I started having seizures my sophomore year of college and am now a senior and I have been on Keppra the past two years. The doctors never explained the severe side effects that would go along with this horrible drug. I used to be always a happy kid and since I started taking Keppra I constantly dealt with mood swings, uncontrollable anger, severe depression, constant thoughts of suicide, weight gain, and hair loss! I can't believe it took me such a long time to get off of this stupid drug. The seizures never stopped either and all the doctors would do is increase my dosage every time. I'm currently at 3000mg a day and am slowly weeding myself off of this drug and going all natural."

Anonymous August 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Anger, moodiness, hopelessness, irritability, trouble making cohesive thoughts, very serious suicidal urge. Same day after first pill of 500 mg."

Concerned Citizen 40's August 14, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: " I Ve had nothing but problems with the Keppera : constant shaking in my arms & legs & pins & needles feeling in my arms & legs severe light headedness no appetite & etc."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Good for Epilepsy but the feelings you get whilst taking them are so bad, I have a feeling in my back of burning and on the inside also as if my tummy is burning also. It is so good for fits if only on them a short while, but not so good to be taken too long. I wish my Docs would understand what they are putting me through with this drug and how I feel, but they do not understand or do not want to !! They just say "so you know better than the Doctors?". I know these drugs are doing me in and seeing Dr about them so wish me luck !! phew"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2016

For Neuralgia: "I haveCranial Hypotension and daily persistent headache so Dr decided to substitute Keppra for Trileptil, it is more effective controlling head pains"

papazaide (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I now suffer from excessive tiredness and lack of energy and I am consulting my GP about an alternative treatment."

Ted Q July 21, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I havery epilepsy since I was a baby. I take Lamictal and Keppra. Last year I had a grand mal seizure. Went to the hospital and everything. I saw my neurologist and she put me on Lamictal XR and Keppra XR. Ever since then I'm having a lot of side effects. I have atleast 10 of them from both Lamictal and Keppra. Having problems from both. My neurologist does not care about the side effects. I'm scared to go outside a lot. I'm moody every day, sleep during the day, insomnia, diarrhea, constipation, etc, it is annoying. I want to be off of thsee pills and want a better life. I rather take something else."

Sam415 (taken for 10 years or more) July 2, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "All depends on the individual I actually found that Keppra made my seizures WORSE. I started taking Keppra and was fine for 2 years with no side affects, no seizures, nothing, then 1 day I had a massive grand Mal seizure the doctors keep upping my dose. Now I am on the maximum dose but still having seizures. Before I took Keppra I had only a few fits in my life now I have them about once every couple of weeks."

Susannaeleven June 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "This medication has been an on and off solution. It used to cause a lot of keppra rage. but am on another medication that are for seizures that also help with my anger bouts."

Dhani (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I was prescribed Keppra 5/3/16 after a Grand Mal at work and an abnormal EEG. I had been having absence seizures for many years, this was my first major. I am having some pretty bad side effects including dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, anger, agitation, and depression. It is tough because I am a single mom and have to work but I go to work and just sit there because I can't concentrate and don't feel like moving. I am still only taking 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening. I was directed to move to 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening after 3 days but I just don't feel like I can handle it. I feel so hopeless and hope that the side effects will subside"

topsoil May 13, 2016

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I starting having seizures after a car accident when I was 18 (now 28). I was told by neurologists that may be the reason for the "trigger" of my epilepsy. I had 3 t-c seizures before being put on the max dosage of 1500mg 2x daily of the keppra. The side effects listed with the drugs usually happen to me but it wasn't hard to handle. Keppra worked for 2 years for the most part. Then it stopped. I began to have night time seizures, then partials, auras, memory loss, anxiety, double vision. You name it it was happening and it still is. I am now with a seizure specialist taking 3 different seizure medications and an anti anxiety as needed. 15 pills. Still having t-c, complex-partials, and partials with all the side effects. Can't work now."

MCHammy May 6, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Within a week suffered suicidal thoughts psychosis hallucinations rages and self harming acts!"

Keppra Sensitive (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016