User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Roweepra XR, Spritam

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levetiracetam.

New Daily Persistent Headache

Epilepsy
6.3

Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 6.8 251 reviews

Reviews for Levetiracetam

For Epilepsy: "I am currently on Keppra 600mg, gabapepentin, 1500mg, clonazepam 1mg, vimpac 1000mg. I have had epilepsy since age 12 and am now 60. I have a head ache and am seizuring, mostly at night. My blood pressure is very low and I am exhausted. "

Anonymous January 2, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My boyfriend is 22 years old and he has never experienced seizures before and then one day at work after not eating or sleeping very well he had a seizure (I forget what kind of seizure) he was rushed to the hospital and they did scans and tried to send him home after 10 mins of leaving the hospital he had another seizure. (just to mention his dads sister has seizures and is on Dilantin) then he had a bunch of CAT scans and an EEG and nothing came back, but now he has to take keppra 4000mg a day for 3 months . He hates it he's very moody now, depressed and he was never like this before. They are going to do a stress test after the 3 months of taking keppra and see if not sleeping and eating right caused abnormal brain waves... I just want this to be over"

Al12345678910 December 14, 2017

For Seizures: "I have been taking levetiracetam for last 5 years and on the average have been having seizures once a year. I'm looking into changing my medication as I want 100% seizure control. I started with taking 500mg daily and now on taking 2500mg daily. I have suffered with some anxiety and halving more seizures does not help. Also, tiredness and some days just not feeling like my self, feeling out of it and spaced out. But there is some days when I feel ok"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 2, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 13 due to my cerebral palsy I had been taking zonegran since then I had weaned myself off of my medication when I got pregnant and had been seizure free for almost 7 years I recently had a relapse and began seeing a different neurologist she put me on keppra THE WORST three months of my life my moods would go from 0-60 in a matter of seconds and for no valid reason I had trouble remembering things even troubling with communication it’s true I also began to have suicidal thoughts and became to much to handle even for myself I would randomly cry then get angry I recently was referred to another neourologist who asked me about these symptoms and then it clicked I DO NOT recommend this medication to anyone"

B’gosh (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was on Keppra for about 6 months as an addition to oxcarbazepine. From the first week of taking keppra I had developed a horribly annoying eye twitch. At first I thought it was from lack of sleep but after about three months and the twitch being consistent on 3/4 days a week, after a little research online I realized that keppra was the culprit. Besides the physical side effect my family told me I was just about unbearable with how moody I was while on it (I was on the dosage of 250mg x2). My neurologist told me to give it 6 months to see it the side effects decreased over time. Before I reached the 6 month mark I had a break through seizure and that ended my journey with keppra."

medicatedin07 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Developed epilepsy due to several strokes while fighting sepsis/septic shock about 4 years ago. I am in the middle of weaning off Keppra and moving to lamictal. While I was seizure free on Keppra, the Kepprage, depression, and suicidal thoughts made me think it might be better to take my chances with seizures..hopefully the lamictal will be effective. I also with there was more science behind cannabis, and I lived in a state that allows medical cannabis. CBD seems like an option to supplement the conventional medications, but I can't say I complain about the occasional "buzz" via full spectrum cannabis."

Dr. Indica (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "As a 42 year old female, I have had seizures my entire life. I have taken 14 anti-convulsants at one point or another in an attempt to control my complex-partial seizures, but Keppra is the WORST medication I have EVER taken. The side effects are horrible. Although it's the only medication that has been able to stop my seizures, the side effects are so terrible that it's not worth taking it. I couldn't string together a coherent thought, had short term memory loss, had awful mood swings, and suddenly hated life. Everything was difficult, I couldn't think straight, and felt emotionally raw all the time. I could barely keep it together while on this medication. Every day of life was AWFUL while on this medication. I will NEVER take it again."

Pacific NW November 18, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I haven't had a seizure in over 3 years because of this drug. It has helped me so much in daily life that I can't imagine my life without it. The price is also very reasonable considering what it treats."

Hamburgers November 15, 2017

For Seizures: "oh no; this site's not working right, as I was on Levetiracetam not keppra; I wish it would take away the 'report the note' thing I did to someone when I just wanted my 'yes' off; darn."

Anna Gates (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I dont like using keppra at all. Since the start of using keppra, I keep on having suicidal thoughts everyday which I don't want to have. Keppra is making my life worse than ever. My mood is changing every minute. It has impacted my schoolwork so much. I have trouble remembering things and being happy. Sometimes I cry so hard and say to myself "I can't take this drug anymore". My self esteem is getting very low everyday. This drug is destroying my relationship with my friends and family. I just want to be able to tell them and my school what my feelings are and not pretend to put a mask of happiness over my face."

Mtusa7 November 11, 2017

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with type 2 Bipolar disorder in March of this year. A few months later I had my first seizure, followed by a couple more in my sleep. I was then diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy and prescribed a regimen of levETIRAcetam 750mg tablets twice a day. Over the past 5months I've had positive results regarding my seizure disorder, although I have experienced an increase in irritability, hostility, depression and suicidal idealation. I'm in the process of seeing my neurologist to determine whether this is the best treatment option."

Zackurie November 8, 2017

For Epilepsy: "I've been on an ever-increasing dose for over a year now; this med doesn't want to stay in my system. I'm currently at 2k mg/day, and it still doesn't register in the blood test as a therapeutic dose. Despite this, even when I first started at very low doses, I had immediate reactions. Some very bad; killed my immune system and I got a cough so bad I cracked 2 ribs. Some very good; somehow, my long-distance vision improved. Neurologist suggested I'm in a state of "near-constant aura" from migraines and this med reduced that, along with some facial numbness I didn't know I had until it went away. Seizures are controlled while it's in my system."

Squirrelyone (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Sometimes I feel drowsy, sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I don't. I am not sure if it is really part of the medication but I do know I don't seizure on it. Compared to the first type of medication I tried (it sent me loopy) this is a lot better, but it could also be better. -Over the years start to analyse how your head processes, how much do you remember and make sure you're not getting slowly cranky on it."

madds (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2017

For Seizures: "Keppera is NOT a very effective seizure medicine at all. It has caused me to have more seizures rather than reducing the seizures that I have. It seriously NEEDS TO BE TAKEN OFF OF THE MARKET!!! It's caused me to have more seizures on a daily basis & it has caused me serious cardiovascular problems & it counter acts with the Phenobarbital & it counter acts the Atenolol for my cardiovascular problems that the Keppera has caused me & it has also has caused me to have serious problems with balance & coordination & the side effects of the Keppera is NOT WORTH IT TO ME AT ALL! "

Debi Robertson August 31, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I had my first grand mal seizure on a boat and and then a second in the middle of class. The neurologist prescribed me 500 mgs twice a day and then eventually bumped to 750 mgs. I don't think I've had any side effects from this medication and I haven't had a seizure since I've been on it (10 months). I feel extremely terrible for everyone on this review board with these tragic stories. Yet for me I suppose my brain just accepted the chemical."

ivetriedmanydrugs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Do not take keppa! "

heaal August 22, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "When I take my dose it makes me more sleepy than usual. It's not everyday, but some days I can be sleepy after 7-9 hours when I have slept enough (approx. 7-8 hours). That's the only side effect I had up to now. So I am ok with it, I guess. Annoying with two tablets 500 mg each day, but oh well better than seizures. That's even worse. Those who had them can feel with me. :)"

Keppra addict asswhore August 15, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I think the definition of hell was the 4 weeks I was on this medication. Every single day I was constantly in a state of panic. If you've had temporal lobe seizures you may know what I'm referring to; the brief state of panic that occurs when a seizure is coming about. I was in that state of panic ALL day. I was in high school at the time and had to stay home nearly every single day. The neurologist tried adding an antidepressant, a xanax, and nothing would calm it down. When my hair began falling out at an alarming rate that was the final straw for me. I had to DEMAND to be switched to something else. I take lamotrigine now and it has completely turned around. My hair finally stopped falling out about 2 months after I quit the keppra."

Beci-023 June 28, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Neuro recently added Keppra to my seizure med regimen. I have absence seizures & the 600mg (the recommended max) of Lamotrigine I'd been on for 16 yrs was no longer as effective. Being middle-aged & female, my seizures developed a catamenial (hormonal) aspect to them. My absences would skyrocket at certain times of the month, as many as 60/day. Been on Keppra for 2 weeks & have only had 1 absence during that time! As for the side effects: near constant irritibility, sometimes a sense of hopelessness, apathy, & mood swings. More often than not, I feel detached from the world...like I'm just watchin a movie & I'm not a part of whats going on around me. I'm weighing the trade-off: no seizures or constant crazy? Gonna give it a little more time."

DawnC714 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

For Epilepsy: "Dizziness, I can not walk or drive when I take this"

LOUIS COBB (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2017

For Neuralgia: "No lessening of pain. Caused diarrhea"

59trooper May 12, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Although this drug has paused my seizure activity, I feel like a different person. The first month my mood swings were unreal and almost indescribable. I'd wake up so happy in the morning and be depressed by around 4-5pm. I was and still am fatigued all the time, and little things like walking up the stairs make me out of breath. I also let little things annoy me and unfortunately take it out on the people around me. I have lost 10 pounds since I've started this medication, I have no desire to eat even though I know my body needs food. I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo and it makes me embarrassed at times. My friends will tell me something and I'll completely forget what they said and ask them about it a few minutes later."

Sarai B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "Keppra was fine for me at first (500 mg twice a day) for 2 months. I suffer from complex partial seizures and experienced a grand mal recently. Then I experienced extreme tiredness, confusion, headaches, greatly increased my depression, could barely go from my bedroom to the living room (never mind managing leaving my house). I had to go back to my neurologist to get switched off such a horrible drug for me. Aptiom (once a day!) so far is a better choice for me."

Jeweltone (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "My experience on keppra was awful . Partly responsible for me developing a state of encephalopathy. Mood was evil. I was threatening to strangers and family. I'd flip so suddenly from 0 to 100 without warning at the slightest word out of place. I'd say it's dangerous from patient perspective and would not advocate it as a nurse. Thoughts of negative actions... prolific"

Nurse patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2017

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "This medication had a negative effect on my daughter. It changed her mood to a negative mood. It made her depressed, and she felt very agitated. It was a very scary experience and would not recommend it to any one."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017