User Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Also known as: Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Roweepra XR, Elepsia XR, Spritam

Levetiracetam Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam

JustaGuy · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2020

“I had a seizure March 27th 2020. Found out I had a brain tumor. Doctors went in on the 29th and April 1st couldn't remove it all. The remaining tumor is slow growing and is benign. I'm prescribed 500mg of levetiracetam twice a day to stop the seizures. Until today, I didn't realize that drinking alcohol can induce seizures. I am a daily drinker. I have had about 6 clonic seizures. Had one April/2020 and they upped me up to 750mg twice a day. Yesterday I had one beer, felt like a seizure was coming on. Have had weird feelings about being outside, a sense of panic, and almost like I'm trying to talk myself into having a seizure. Like I'm barely in control. I would not drink alcohol, or not very much. I believe my was body craving alcohol while sleeping. I never had the anger issues, but recently it feels more like anxiety. Be very careful with the amount of this drug that is prescribed. I can definitely feel the difference since this "slight" increase. My son (at age 12) had to be taken off it. His behavior really changed.”

Tes · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

“I was give this drug levetiracetam cos my seizures have changed I'm also on oxecarbazen for my big seizures. On levetracetam within 1 hour I was fighting to breath my face, arms and legs were paralyzed all down my left side. It was the worse day of my life it was more frighening than my big cancer op. The doctors said it bounced of my oxcarbazepine they don't work together”

Zen · Taken for less than 1 month March 20, 2020

“After a few days, I lost all feeling below my knees using this medication. Once I switched back to by regular generic Watson Laboratories, all feeling came back without issues. I did not have any seizures while taking this medication, but I could not drive or walk more than 20 feet at a time. Brand Keppra XR did not affect me like this either.”

Mommy2009 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “My 10 year old daughter began on keppra 1000mg per day to control her Rolandic epilepsy. The first four weeks were awful, she was aggressive and scary. I needed extra help to stop her attacking her siblings. HOWEVER this calmed down after 4-6 weeks and she I now back to normal. Seizure free (so far) 4 months later. Her mood is back to normal. I would encourage parents to persevere through the first few weeks as it was AWFUL but has improved immensely.”

Phuzzy March 9, 2020

“I am a 41 year old male. 3 weeks ago I had seizure while sitting up in bed next to my wife. It was bad enough that she called an ambulance. They didn't believe me, released me and I had another one in the car. They sent me to another hospital where they believed me and put me on Keppra immediately. I have had no seizures since and very little side effects. I take 500 mg twice a day and my mood has actually improved. I'm more talkative and friendly. I do have some tingling and walking is a bit difficult. But I love this med!”

Pip · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 3, 2020

“I have been taking this drug for 14 years. I had a brain injury in1987 but developed clinic tonic seizures following a high -stress domestic situation (since resolved) My initial reaction to the medication were 1 feeling more settled less sleep disturbances ) Seizures ceased completely feeling more connected (less ' abscences ' Lately I've developed the following symptoms which I believe may be attributable to this medication 1 bladder incontinence 2 alopecia”

Gene February 16, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Been on Keppra for 10?days after second seizure. Have had thoughts of suicide.”

Doobydoo · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Hey everyone at the age 48 my brother was diagnosed with epilepsy seizures at that time he almost died because nothing would stop them. After multiple seizures back to back like 20+ the only thing that would even help control them was name brand medication (Keppra)they started him out at six 500 mg daily. Many different symptoms with this I've noticed over the years so I will list a few: mood swings, anxiety, depression, memory loss of dates & time, agitated, lies. Talk to the doctor about the amount of seizures he experienced since last visit and at times gets violent. This medication still dosn't control them like it should but by taking it he at least has a chance.”

Freddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 12, 2020

“I took levetiracetam for about six months at a relatively high dose, for focal onset seizures. For the first month or so I was absolutely fine, with the only noticeable side effects being the occasional bout of nausea before breakfast. However, at the 2-3 month mark my moods started to worsen, I became withdrawn, lost interest in a lot of my previous hobbies, and just felt pretty rubbishy in general. At the 5 month mark, I had a nervous breakdown and spent a whole night throwing hurting myself. After this, I tapered myself off the medication, and my life improved significantly. Levetericatam is horrible. Wouldn't recommend this drug to anyone, though I'll give it a rating of 2, since it technically got rid of my seizures.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Keppra makes me sleepy, so I take it before bed. Only other side effect is nightmares, with talking, flailing and swearing in my sleep. Lamictal and Topomax had worse side effects for me.”

Nessii_619 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 29, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I was taking Xanax 10mg for severe anxiety and Ambien 10mg from suffering from insomnia after having my daughter (10yrs ago) I've never had issues with sleep, but unfortunately, anxiety runs in my family. Both stopped working for a while so I decided to take 1 ½ bars a day and 1½ of Ambien a night. One day I decided to stop taking my Xanax and had ran out of my Ambien for about a week. That's where the nightmare began! Horrible withdrawals, feeling useless, hallucinating, kept myself locked up for days then suddenly I began to have seizures and ended up admitted in the hospital about 7 different times. After trying several different anti-seizure meds, Keppra finally worked for me and haven't had a seizure since. Thank god!”

Anonymous August 8, 2019

“The original brand of levetiracetam I do very well on. The generic is horrible! Total seizure control for 10 yrs, both brand and generic. Side effects vary by generic manufacturers, as well. Generic almost killed me. Or, should I say, I wanted to die while on it. It was a horrible experience. And now I am having to switch back to it, again. I’m scared to death. Literally.”

Nelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Absolutely horrible experience. I was prescribed this after having a breakthrough seizure as part of trying new meds. On Keppra my personality changed 100%. I was despondent, hated life, had no motivation and cried at the drop of a hat. Finally, I knew it was time to go to the doctor to transition off when I hit such a low low. Also started hearing voices. Never once did such dark thoughts occur to me until this-I imagine this is what it’s like to be possessed.”

Deb · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “My mom began post stroke seizures and a 1000 mg Nokia was administered in the ER. I explained she was very sensitive to meds. She as admitted and given two more doses of 500 and 750. She was so lethargic and dizzy and nauseous I asked if we could switch. They dropped the keppra cold turkey and she seized 96 straight times every eight minutes. We are back on it to properly wean her but with each dose she seizes like clockwork and has been in cardiac arrest 4x. We are between a rock and a hard place with this med but I would advise anyone to choose this med knowing side effects can be severe. She is on comfort care now.”

RJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 23, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “over 2 years in now and Keppra is keeping my seizures away but the 2500mg a day has made me a different person for sure . -don’t feel excited to socialize as much. -feel fatigued a lot , can easily dose off if not doing anything that requires my attention. -old memories can bring on strong emotions that normally wouldn’t before and memory is not nearly as strong as it was , constantly setting myself reminders for things i should easily remember.”

spyro · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2019

“Been on levetiracetam for around 9 years for my seizures and the side effects were, harsh the first year, bad mood swings, severe depression and migraines daily but over a couple years the side effects decreased. Plus the levetiracetam controls my seizures caused by brain surgery very well, I only 2-4 seizures in 9 years. Very happy with this medication”

Bole · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I’ve been on keppra for about 2 years for my seizures and the side effects are on and off. My main problems are I’m extremely short tempered, often very depressed, and most importantly this medication causes so much plaque build up in my mouth. Whenever they raise the dosage on me I have to go to the dentist once a month with issues with my gums bleeding or a tooth being on the verge of being a cavity, and I brush twice a day and floss every night before bed. My dentist was very confused why I had to keep coming in with mouth problems until I told him I was epileptic and on Keppra, my dentist told me of the oral side effects, dry mouth etc.”

Bella · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “This drug does work but it also makes me very depressed.”

HairFallingOut · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2019

“I was put on it by a neurologist who never actually tested me for epilepsy. I saw another neurologist who ultimately diagnosed me with Psychogenic non-epileptic seizures (PNES), non-epileptic seizures caused by panic attacks. I was put on 500mg twice a day which was fine but after having a miscarriage my anxiety sky rocketed and I started having seizures so they increased the dosage to 750mg twice a day. That’s when the issues began. Joint and muscle pain to the point I see a PT and orthopedic doctor. Anxiety was so bad. Depression set in. Now I’m going through the withdrawals which are the worse Headaches, anxiety, muscle aches, nausea... basically the side effects you get from the medicine but in reverse.”

Guscrawl · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I have been using Keppra now for over a year. I have had no side affects from it whatsoever, maybe occassionally my short term memory is not 100% but apart from that I am amazed at it. Compared to the drugs I was taking as a child Keppra has kept me seizure free for over a year now.”

Divorce drug · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “This is the most horrible medication I have ever taken. My usual personality is calm, reasonable, optimistic, positive etc. Well not with this medication. My husband and I have been married for 43 years, we have had our ups and downs but never thought of divorce. With this medication my husband stood by me. What we went through was uncontrollable everything, crying, screaming, unreasonable, and just plane hysteria. He was a saint, I on the other hand I was totally out of control and could not stop myself no matter how hard I tried.”

Timilicious · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Experienced mood swings, including increased emotionality (crying, anger, etc.); had difficulty falling asleep/restlessness (tired & wired feeling); muscle cramping and joint aches became more frequent, as well as general body fatigue & lethargy; appetite was lowered and indigestion was common; dry mouth occurred regularly; and forgetfulness, attention problems, etc. were apparent. Seizures did not continue while on the 250 mg twice a day dose, but side effects outweighed the benefits. Especially considering I could not take the full 500 mg twice a day prescribed dosage.”

John December 1, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I’ve had 2 seizures, both morning after heavy drinking. Neurologist says I have predisposition to seizures triggered by alcohol withdrawal. I was given Keppra in the ER, and then twice daily 500mg prescription to take home. Effects were generally fine, a little spacey first few days but then pretty much back to normal. Neurologist suggested I move to a 1000mg dose once a day of extended release pills. On their recommendation, I took my typical 500mg standard release in the morning, and then 1000mg (2 500mg pills) extended release dose tonight. Dear god the side effects. My whole body became jittery, I was having panic attacks, and my eyes were fluttering so much I thought I’d have another seizure at any moment. I didn’t, and after 6 terrifying hours I’m mostly back to normal. I will no longer take both pills at once as directed, and will instead spread the doses as I had been with the standard release. I’m going to continue to push my neurologist to ween me off these drugs.”

Kent · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2018

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I have been on this medication almost since it was introduced, being on other medications that stopped the seizures but had to have blood test every 6 months for liver function, those ones that didn't stop my seizures. Keppra has stopped all my seizure activity with little or no side effects after being on it for the first year. Occasionally I feel the emotional effects of depression, and mood swings but am able to mentally talk myself out of the negative mental state, change the emphasis of what is causing the irritability, and changing my environment ( getting out and socializing, viewing nature, what ever it takes). Overall Keppra holds my seizures from occurring, with minimal effects.”

Granny · Taken for 10 years or more September 22, 2018

“Keppra has worked well for me. I was on 13 anti-convulsants after I first diagnosed in 1965. Over the years the meds were slowly stopped except for Dilantin. I slowly made the change to 1000 mg of Keppra/levetiracetam twice a day ten years ago and cannot sing the praises of this drug enough.”