User Reviews for Levetiracetam (Page 2)

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Made me more aggressive lost nearly 50% of my friends on facebook while on this. Caused me to lose contact with several family members after they saw my anger from being on this. Product should be off the market!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My fiance (22 yrs old, 130 lbs) has been on Keppra combined with Vimpat for over a year and he has had very bad mood swings, weight loss, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, depression, and irritability/quick temper. We are trying to find out if there is another medication he can take in combination with these to help combat the side effects, or if someone has found another med that works as well with less severe side effects, seeing this is the only med that has helped his seizures so far (diagnosed at 17) Anyone else with a similar problem, or know what might help?"

Nkap (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have all side effects and I have to talk to my doctor about taking it . I take 1000mg twice a day. It's crazy. I hate having to take this."

Nikkie4420gmail.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was on decadron and vimpat (Lacosamide, another anticonvulsant), and I'm pretty sure the vimpat was compounding the side effects of the decadron (mood swings, weight gain, blood sugar issues ('m also diabetic).Plus, I was still having seizures, especially whed I tried to work out (mostly running, but sometimes on an elliptical machine. I asked to be put back on the keppra I had taken for 6 months prior to being moved to the vimpat. I've been able to run again, and am having fewer seizures (although had one this morning after doing the ADA diabetes step out 23 mile walk and sprinting the last half mile to get to a restroom. I definitely feel like the keppra is more effective against seizures, still, and doesn't compound the side-effects "

TonyB1969 October 3, 2015

"I had every side effect even pain in my temples which was so painful that I thought they were going to bust and was ready to go to the ER, when I decided to look my meds up online and found that Keppra was causing these side effects, and people were going to the ER for this. Also, I was having so many memory problems I couldn't remember anything from 2 mins prior. I had Agitation, Anixiety, Angry Outbursts, I had to Go..I mean go.. I couldn't stay still sometimes I felt like I had to leave it was crazy.. I was loosing my mind.. I had no control I was very Angry lots of outbursts and I couldn't control it! When I looked up all of the side effects I couldn't believe how I felt was right there, it was me right there."

Saynep September 29, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My 2 year old grandson was drop falling constantly every 2/3 min. He already was taking toprimate and onfi. We started koppra and the falling decrease with one dosage. three days now and no falls, no shakes or jerks."

319s September 12, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 17 and was prescribed Dilantin. I was having grand mal seizures and it was working ok. When I was 22 I moved to Florida and saw a new neurologist and he said Dilantin was an old drug and put me on keppra. I'm taking 1500mg twice a day and I'm having more grand mal seizures and partial complex zone outs. Keppra has not helped at all and I'm going to a new doctor for a different opinion on what to take."

Kevin Heidegger September 5, 2015

"If it was possible to give this a 0, I would. I've had the hiccups for almost a year. My neurologist thinks they're "a strange presentation of clonic seizures in the brain stem". Weird, but okay. I've been on 500 mg for four days. In that time, I've lost consciousness twice, had three nosebleeds, been dizzy and lightheaded, had constant trouble breathing, had ridiculous mood swings from angry to crying in the blink of an eye, and been unable to walk a straight line. I feel drunk. It's horrible."

Rachel8293 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am 37 years old and have had Petit Mal Seizures since I was 2 Years old. My seizures were always controlled on Epival. However, this drug isn't safe during pregnancy so my Dr prescribed me Keppra (500mg) before we staring to try for a baby. Keppra works well for me to control the Petit Mal Seizures. However, it has really bad side effects. It made me extremely tired and quite moody. The worse part about this medication it caused me to have 2 Grand Mal Seizures (10w and 18 w). Before these 2 seizures I have never had a Grand Mal before. I am now off of Keppra and on Lamotrigine and feel great. I have energy and feel like myself again. Best of all no Grand Mal seizures!"

CKLADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had my first seizure when I was 13 years old. It scared my parents and I to death. After that I started experiancing seizures every month. Almost all of my seizures (except 3) have happened while I am asleep. I am 29 now and all the EEGs and EKGs come back normal. I have been taking Keppra now for 6 months and I have not had any Grand Mal seizures. I take 1000 mg everynight after dinner and I make it a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. The good definitely out ways the bad.... Many blessings"

Chris956 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on keppra for about a year now. I am not the same person I use to be. I have lost motivation to do anything. I can't retain information. I introduce myself to people I already know because I can't remember anything even things I learned years ago. The worst part is I still have seizures. They just keep increasing the dose. I'm up to 1500mg twice a day."

Jontabor June 18, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter just started this medicine and she is still having seizures. Before the seizures were not happening during the as often, now it is happening more frequently. I still yet to see any real good results..."

Alfmann June 16, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My husband is 35 yrs old and had his first seizure in 03/15 right before a medical procedure for a shot in his back due to pain. He has an extreme phobia of needles and seized before they did the procedure for his back. The doctors believe it was due to extreme stress but then a month and a half later while at work he had another seizure. The neurologist started him on Keppra and he has been on it for a little over a month. He hasn't experienced another seizure but the medication is making him extremely depressed, he seems drunk/high from it, can't walk straight, speech is slurred, eyes glossy, memory loss. I don't even feel like he is even my husband anymore because it has made him so spacey."

WorriedinCO June 5, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 63 now using Keppra (levetiracetam) 500 mg has been a good choice by my neurologist for approximately 5 yrs. I take 750 mg at bed time and it has worked well. My insurance covers Keppra but levetiracetam is more affordable and has worked for me."

With Prayer May 18, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I began using generic Keppra in 10/14 after four seizures, 500 mg in the am and pm. There were abnormalities in my EEG. No seizures but very sleepy and sluggish during the day and weight gain. Neurologist changed medication one Keppra extended release three weeks ago and now I'm losing my hair. I'm calling the neurologist to see what we can do."

Mariel's April 12, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I hate this medication! Yes it controls my seizures but it makes me a horrible human being. It causes me to be mean, moody, and angry.I would almost rather have the seizures than have these horrible side effects. next neurologist appointment I am begging for a different medication. And not dilantin or gabapentin either. Both those have given me nasty side effects as well.but what works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for another. Good luck to those of you who are taking this medication. I pray that the side effects are not as bad for you as they were for me."

Kris78 April 9, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm over 65 male, in my youth I suffered several head injuries some of these were diagnosed as concussion. I was involved in a motor accident in 2000 with a severe head injury. Soon thereafter I started to have auras followed by migraines. In 2010 I started having mycolonic jerks that would awaken me at 3/4 times at night. In 2013 the jerks became so severe I visited a neurosurgeon, after scans etc I was diagnosed with Partial Epilepsy. In march 2014 I had a seizure in my sleep. Taken to hospital and put on Keppra by the neurosurgeon.I take 750mg at night and 500 in the morning. Auras and migraines have decreased,but my mood swings have been getting worse,changed personality, overreaction,I feel like I'm bipolar its affecting my marriage."

New Peronality February 21, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 55/ male and recently experienced a seizure during a visit at an MD clinic upon falling from the cart I was on and striking my head, I then had a subsequent episode two weeks later. I was started on Keppra 500mg twice daily, It has now been almost a week and since starting my appetite has tanked, I have had profound anxiety attacks,and insomnia along with occasional emotional lability, Also ataxia when walking. Don't know if I wanted to continue this, but will speak with my neurologist next week."

Greg1110 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My daughter was put on Keppra when she was 14 months old & she walked like she was drunk after she started on it. The doctor said not to ever give her Keppra again!!"

Triplett77 November 21, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I'm 25 had my first seizure at 24 and have now had my 4th seizure 11/11/14. I went against the doctor with taking medication as I had and EEG done and came up clear so thought it wouldn't be to serious. However now having 4 seizure I've started taking Keppra twice a day. I haven't been tired by the medication and still able to work well. However I'm starting to be early angered and annoyed and moody. What I would normally get swept under the carpet is now agitating me. I'm not enjoying it as I feel like being left alone and in my own space. "

Norbryn (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Started about 1 week ago. Was fine then all of sudden I started feeling really tired, restless. Nothing unusual. Now I have no appetite. Spaced out majority of the day. My mood swings are through the roof. And tonight I had a nightmare. Calling my doctor to see what to do."

DarthDerwin (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free."

Soccerfamily July 15, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am from Bahrain. My daughter is 4 years old, she got grand mal seizures and doctors prescribed her Keppra syrup (oral). Since 18 days no seizure but we feel side effects like mood changes and one time she had minor rashes appeared on her face but it went after 3 days. So far we are happy with Keppra and I hope and pray that it will treat her epilepsy."

Father of Ayesha (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on Keppra for two years now, 500mg morning & 500mg evening. No side effects at all and no seizures since I started on it. Initially I had some tingling in my lips but that ended after a week or so, nothing since. Like the "animal alerts" I keep on my vehicles you can't tell if it works except for the absence of anything bad happening which in my case nothing has with either Keppra or the animal alerts so they both must work since before them I had one seizure and also hit a deer a moose and some rodents who darted out in front of me but no longer do. I checked for interactions of all medications and would advise anyone with a bad reaction to any med to do so as well."

unphazed May 24, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best."

Joncb January 31, 2014