User Reviews for Levetiracetam (Page 2)

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Roweepra XR, Spritam

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Levetiracetam Rating Summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 96 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Seizures

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I love this stuff, once we got the seizures under control with correct dose for me, I have had NO side effects, and my headaches stopped"

Penny Coleman 37 April 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My 11 year old son was given Keppra due to a dual concussion that lead to seizures in 4/2010. He hated the way it made him feel. His neurologist put him on extended release Keppra which cause him to loose 30 pounds within a 3 month span. He was rushed to the hospital due to high sugar - 564 dl. In ICU, he was given Keppra at night, during his sleep, his heart rate would slow down to 50 and set off the heart monitors all night. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with his heart after running numerous test. The medication compromised his system, caused Type 1 diabetes and triggered irregular heart beats. I weened him off Keppra against doctors wishes 10/2010. He has had no seizures since, but still has Type I, he is 17 yrs ."

Rebecca Smyser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on every seizure medication invented. Keppera or genetic Levatiraacetam is by far the worst one I've been on. The side effects have ruined my life. I gained over 45 pounds the first year on it. I am now almost 70 pounds heavier than I was before I started taking the medication. I can't work anymore because I have severe depression, anxiety & insomnia. I tell people off for the craziest things & am super paranoid all the time. Despite the that I take antidepressants, anxiety & sleeping meds. I used to be a terrific nurse, winning awards & receiving all kinds of gratitude. Now I can no longer do anything. I am terrified to leave the house, take a shower, clean or go anywhere. I have no life, I just exist. Can't wait to get off this!"

Jenna C. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My brother had a tumor 15 yrs ago removed after having a seizure. Takes 1000mg keppra a day. He has mood swings, diarrea if he does eat b4 so, and delusional. Still effective. I started having anxiety attacks n seizures at 24yrs of age. Neurologist perscribed me keppra 500mg daily and 2mg xanax a day when needed, usually I break xanax into pieces as u can because they have little bars to do so. I don't have any side effects besides feeling sleepy at the end of the day. I don't take xanax til after work at the end of the day as xanax does makes me sleepy. Keppra deserves 10 for me. But my brother rates it 7. Every one is different. I know this is for keppra but XANAX is not for anyone a lot of people can't handle the drug and can't control themselves let doc determine."

RyanB (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have jerky events that have not technically been epilepsy, but it runs throughout my mom's side of the family and I have just started keppra at 2000mg a day. I have been on topamax for a couple years now and my doc added keppra in conjunction with 300mg topamax a day, since only 400mg of topamax a day was not working and the side effects of memory loss and painful pins/needles were too awful to deal with. Keppra so far has only made me feel a zonked and not too hungry, but my memory is coming back which I am happy about. I also have not had event. I am sure the zombieness will wear off with some time."

Anonymous January 18, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My last seizure was less than a month before starting keppra. I was having very bad seizures on and off for 3 years and the only thing coming up in scans done on my brain was a bit of slowing on the left side. I had tried other anti epileptic medications that weren't working and my neurologist recommended I start using keppra which was newer to the market at the time. I've been seizure free for over a year and I couldn't be happier. I got my license back a few months ago and have returned to living normally"

taymon (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Stopped seizures, caused strange behavior and severe depression."

Eli Manning January 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had my first seizure in 04/04/14 whilst driving and they found that I had epilepsy. The neurologist put me on keppra. It is by far the best drug I've had to take. Initially it was a pain as I was always angry, depressed because I lost my Driving Licence and tired all the time. All I wanted to do was sleep. However, once it took this medication after 6 months, the side effects wore off and I was getting back to my old self again. Happy and all that. I once forgot to take my tablets for 2 days. I had a seizure. Biggest mistake I've made. I always remember to take my tablets now. I'm fit free now. Please take your tablets. They do help."

Ronakm1987 December 16, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had my first seizure February 2014 and was prescribed Keppra. I took it for a while and experienced all the symptoms as everyone else: depression, fatigue, mood swings, hallucinations, etc. You name it I had it. I had no energy and all I could do was sleep. I got tired of living like that and one day decided to stop taking them, bad move. It was fine for 4 days, I was energized and happy but on that day I had another seizure. I told my doctor and he changed my prescription to Trileptal. I have been on it since that day and the only side effect I think I have would be hair thinning."

Dia Mond (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am 16, I have had Juvenille Myoclonic Epilepsy for almost 2 years now and have been on keppra ever since. I experienced some weight loss, extreme depression, hallucinations, and memory loss. I've only had one other grand mal seizure while on this and I do not jerk anymore. Though it works I wish I felt alive and awake during normal daily tasks. If you can seek other medications for physiological and behavioral reasons, I suggest it."

JME girl November 1, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Will keppra help you come out of a seizure?!?"

Jennie23 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "Made me more aggressive lost nearly 50% of my friends on facebook while on this. Caused me to lose contact with several family members after they saw my anger from being on this. Product should be off the market!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My fiance (22 yrs old, 130 lbs) has been on Keppra combined with Vimpat for over a year and he has had very bad mood swings, weight loss, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, depression, and irritability/quick temper. We are trying to find out if there is another medication he can take in combination with these to help combat the side effects, or if someone has found another med that works as well with less severe side effects, seeing this is the only med that has helped his seizures so far (diagnosed at 17) Anyone else with a similar problem, or know what might help?"

Nkap (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I have all side effects and I have to talk to my doctor about taking it . I take 1000mg twice a day. It's crazy. I hate having to take this."

Nikkie4420gmail.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was on decadron and vimpat (Lacosamide, another anticonvulsant), and I'm pretty sure the vimpat was compounding the side effects of the decadron (mood swings, weight gain, blood sugar issues ('m also diabetic).Plus, I was still having seizures, especially whed I tried to work out (mostly running, but sometimes on an elliptical machine. I asked to be put back on the keppra I had taken for 6 months prior to being moved to the vimpat. I've been able to run again, and am having fewer seizures (although had one this morning after doing the ADA diabetes step out 23 mile walk and sprinting the last half mile to get to a restroom. I definitely feel like the keppra is more effective against seizures, still, and doesn't compound the side-effects "

TonyB1969 October 3, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had every side effect even pain in my temples which was so painful that I thought they were going to bust and was ready to go to the ER, when I decided to look my meds up online and found that Keppra was causing these side effects, and people were going to the ER for this. Also, I was having so many memory problems I couldn't remember anything from 2 mins prior. I had Agitation, Anixiety, Angry Outbursts, I had to Go..I mean go.. I couldn't stay still sometimes I felt like I had to leave it was crazy.. I was loosing my mind.. I had no control I was very Angry lots of outbursts and I couldn't control it! When I looked up all of the side effects I couldn't believe how I felt was right there, it was me right there."

Saynep September 29, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "My 2 year old grandson was drop falling constantly every 2/3 min. He already was taking toprimate and onfi. We started koppra and the falling decrease with one dosage. three days now and no falls, no shakes or jerks."

319s September 12, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 17 and was prescribed Dilantin. I was having grand mal seizures and it was working ok. When I was 22 I moved to Florida and saw a new neurologist and he said Dilantin was an old drug and put me on keppra. I'm taking 1500mg twice a day and I'm having more grand mal seizures and partial complex zone outs. Keppra has not helped at all and I'm going to a new doctor for a different opinion on what to take."

Kevin Heidegger September 5, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"If it was possible to give this a 0, I would. I've had the hiccups for almost a year. My neurologist thinks they're "a strange presentation of clonic seizures in the brain stem". Weird, but okay. I've been on 500 mg for four days. In that time, I've lost consciousness twice, had three nosebleeds, been dizzy and lightheaded, had constant trouble breathing, had ridiculous mood swings from angry to crying in the blink of an eye, and been unable to walk a straight line. I feel drunk. It's horrible."

Rachel8293 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I am 37 years old and have had Petit Mal Seizures since I was 2 Years old. My seizures were always controlled on Epival. However, this drug isn't safe during pregnancy so my Dr prescribed me Keppra (500mg) before we staring to try for a baby. Keppra works well for me to control the Petit Mal Seizures. However, it has really bad side effects. It made me extremely tired and quite moody. The worse part about this medication it caused me to have 2 Grand Mal Seizures (10w and 18 w). Before these 2 seizures I have never had a Grand Mal before. I am now off of Keppra and on Lamotrigine and feel great. I have energy and feel like myself again. Best of all no Grand Mal seizures!"

CKLADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I had my first seizure when I was 13 years old. It scared my parents and I to death. After that I started experiancing seizures every month. Almost all of my seizures (except 3) have happened while I am asleep. I am 29 now and all the EEGs and EKGs come back normal. I have been taking Keppra now for 6 months and I have not had any Grand Mal seizures. I take 1000 mg everynight after dinner and I make it a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. The good definitely out ways the bad.... Many blessings"

Chris956 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keppra (levetiracetam): "I've been on keppra for about a year now. I am not the same person I use to be. I have lost motivation to do anything. I can't retain information. I introduce myself to people I already know because I can't remember anything even things I learned years ago. The worst part is I still have seizures. They just keep increasing the dose. I'm up to 1500mg twice a day."

Jontabor June 18, 2015