Generic Name: Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets (lee va tye RA se tam)
Brand Name: Keppra XR, Roweepra XR
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 17, 2019.
Uses of Roweepra XR:
- It is used to treat seizures.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Roweepra XR?
- If you have an allergy to levetiracetam or any other part of Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have kidney disease or are on dialysis.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Roweepra XR?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not stop taking Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of seizures. If you need to stop this drug, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- This medicine may cause behavior changes and mental or mood problems. Talk with the doctor.
- A very bad reaction called angioedema has happened with Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets). Sometimes, this may be life-threatening. Signs may include swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, tongue, or throat; trouble breathing; trouble swallowing; or unusual hoarseness. Get medical help right away if you have any of these signs.
- You may see something that looks like the tablet in your stool. This is normal and not a cause for concern. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Children younger than 4 years old will need to have their blood pressure checked often. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) while you are pregnant.
- This medicine may not work as well during pregnancy. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Roweepra XR) best taken?
Use Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) at the same time of day.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew or crush.
- Do not split or break tablet.
- Check your drug when you get a new prescription to make sure you have the right drug. Call your doctor right away if you think you were given the wrong drug or if you are not sure what your drug should look like.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- If seizures are worse or not the same after starting Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets).
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in balance.
- Trouble walking.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Very bad headache.
- Patients who take Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Low blood cell counts have happened with Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets). If blood cell counts get very low, this can lead to bleeding problems, infections, or anemia. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or if you feel very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Roweepra XR?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Stuffy nose.
- Nose and throat irritation.
- Belly pain.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not hungry.
- Flu-like signs.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Roweepra XR?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets) is refilled. If you have any questions about Roweepra XR (levetiracetam extended-release tablets), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Roweepra XR (levetiracetam)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- Drug class: pyrrolidine anticonvulsants
- FDA Alerts (2)