User Reviews for Keppra

Epilepsy
5.8

Summary of Keppra reviews 6.3 179 reviews

Reviews for Keppra

For Epilepsy "Keppra has made me angry beyond words, impatient, and now I cry all of the time. It has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion and not being able to control it. I feel like I’m going to explode all of the time. There has to be anything better than this."

Not myself (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Seizures "I have been seizure free since 2014. It was two weeks before starting keppra that I had my last seizure so it's been three and a half years seizure free. As far as bad side effects it could possibly have given me attention and memory issues it's hard to say because I don't remember having that great of a memory to begin with but other then that it's been good. I got my license back 3 years ago as I had my second seizure at age 19 and had my license taken away so now at the age of 25 I couldn't be happier. I never look back and think I will have another but I will probably take keppra the rest of my life if it is what is helping me and my epilepsy. I also had allergic reactions to 2 types of anti epileptic medications and then was placed on a drug that wasn't helping my seizures at all so keppra was a God send"

TayorM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2018

For Epilepsy "When my Keppra was wearing off, I would start to twitch! I couldn't stop twitching and I was becoming more and more aggressive! My body felt more unbalanced and I fell twice. I encourage you to speak to your doctor to thoroughly investigate what meds are out there that doesn't make you mean and walk like a twitchy drunk!"

Twitched too much! April 3, 2018

For Seizures "Would not recommend for elderly. Mom was sent home from hospital with this med. She became very moody and talking suicidal (never in her 90+ life). She went downhill - no longer walking, couldn’t hold herself up, and dark urine. Happened over weekend I stop the med and she began coming back up to her normal self and is now better."

Caretaker for Mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Seizures "My boyfriend is 22 years old and he has never experienced seizures before and then one day at work after not eating or sleeping very well he had a seizure (I forget what kind of seizure) he was rushed to the hospital and they did scans and tried to send him home after 10 mins of leaving the hospital he had another seizure. (just to mention his dads sister has seizures and is on Dilantin) then he had a bunch of CAT scans and an EEG and nothing came back, but now he has to take keppra 4000mg a day for 3 months . He hates it he's very moody now, depressed and he was never like this before. They are going to do a stress test after the 3 months of taking keppra and see if not sleeping and eating right caused abnormal brain waves... I just want this to be over"

Al12345678910 December 14, 2017

For Epilepsy "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 13 due to my cerebral palsy I had been taking zonegran since then I had weaned myself off of my medication when I got pregnant and had been seizure free for almost 7 years I recently had a relapse and began seeing a different neurologist she put me on keppra THE WORST three months of my life my moods would go from 0-60 in a matter of seconds and for no valid reason I had trouble remembering things even troubling with communication it’s true I also began to have suicidal thoughts and became to much to handle even for myself I would randomly cry then get angry I recently was referred to another neourologist who asked me about these symptoms and then it clicked I DO NOT recommend this medication to anyone"

B’gosh (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

For Epilepsy "I was on Keppra for about 6 months as an addition to oxcarbazepine. From the first week of taking keppra I had developed a horribly annoying eye twitch. At first I thought it was from lack of sleep but after about three months and the twitch being consistent on 3/4 days a week, after a little research online I realized that keppra was the culprit. Besides the physical side effect my family told me I was just about unbearable with how moody I was while on it (I was on the dosage of 250mg x2). My neurologist told me to give it 6 months to see it the side effects decreased over time. Before I reached the 6 month mark I had a break through seizure and that ended my journey with keppra."

medicatedin07 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2017

For Epilepsy "Developed epilepsy due to several strokes while fighting sepsis/septic shock about 4 years ago. I am in the middle of weaning off Keppra and moving to lamictal. While I was seizure free on Keppra, the Kepprage, depression, and suicidal thoughts made me think it might be better to take my chances with seizures..hopefully the lamictal will be effective. I also with there was more science behind cannabis, and I lived in a state that allows medical cannabis. CBD seems like an option to supplement the conventional medications, but I can't say I complain about the occasional "buzz" via full spectrum cannabis."

Dr. Indica (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2017

For Epilepsy "As a 42 year old female, I have had seizures my entire life. I have taken 14 anti-convulsants at one point or another in an attempt to control my complex-partial seizures, but Keppra is the WORST medication I have EVER taken. The side effects are horrible. Although it's the only medication that has been able to stop my seizures, the side effects are so terrible that it's not worth taking it. I couldn't string together a coherent thought, had short term memory loss, had awful mood swings, and suddenly hated life. Everything was difficult, I couldn't think straight, and felt emotionally raw all the time. I could barely keep it together while on this medication. Every day of life was AWFUL while on this medication. I will NEVER take it again."

Pacific NW November 18, 2017

For Seizures "I haven't had a seizure in over 3 years because of this drug. It has helped me so much in daily life that I can't imagine my life without it. The price is also very reasonable considering what it treats."

Hamburgers November 15, 2017

For Seizures "I dont like using keppra at all. Since the start of using keppra, I keep on having suicidal thoughts everyday which I don't want to have. Keppra is making my life worse than ever. My mood is changing every minute. It has impacted my schoolwork so much. I have trouble remembering things and being happy. Sometimes I cry so hard and say to myself "I can't take this drug anymore". My self esteem is getting very low everyday. This drug is destroying my relationship with my friends and family. I just want to be able to tell them and my school what my feelings are and not pretend to put a mask of happiness over my face."

Mtusa7 November 11, 2017

For Seizures "Sometimes I feel drowsy, sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I don't. I am not sure if it is really part of the medication but I do know I don't seizure on it. Compared to the first type of medication I tried (it sent me loopy) this is a lot better, but it could also be better. -Over the years start to analyse how your head processes, how much do you remember and make sure you're not getting slowly cranky on it."

madds (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2017

For Seizures "I had my first grand mal seizure on a boat and and then a second in the middle of class. The neurologist prescribed me 500 mgs twice a day and then eventually bumped to 750 mgs. I don't think I've had any side effects from this medication and I haven't had a seizure since I've been on it (10 months). I feel extremely terrible for everyone on this review board with these tragic stories. Yet for me I suppose my brain just accepted the chemical."

ivetriedmanydrugs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 29, 2017

For Seizures "Do not take keppa! "

heaal August 22, 2017

For Seizures "When I take my dose it makes me more sleepy than usual. It's not everyday, but some days I can be sleepy after 7-9 hours when I have slept enough (approx. 7-8 hours). That's the only side effect I had up to now. So I am ok with it, I guess. Annoying with two tablets 500 mg each day, but oh well better than seizures. That's even worse. Those who had them can feel with me. :)"

Keppra addict asswhore August 15, 2017

For Seizures "I think the definition of hell was the 4 weeks I was on this medication. Every single day I was constantly in a state of panic. If you've had temporal lobe seizures you may know what I'm referring to; the brief state of panic that occurs when a seizure is coming about. I was in that state of panic ALL day. I was in high school at the time and had to stay home nearly every single day. The neurologist tried adding an antidepressant, a xanax, and nothing would calm it down. When my hair began falling out at an alarming rate that was the final straw for me. I had to DEMAND to be switched to something else. I take lamotrigine now and it has completely turned around. My hair finally stopped falling out about 2 months after I quit the keppra."

Beci-023 June 28, 2017

For Epilepsy "Neuro recently added Keppra to my seizure med regimen. I have absence seizures & the 600mg (the recommended max) of Lamotrigine I'd been on for 16 yrs was no longer as effective. Being middle-aged & female, my seizures developed a catamenial (hormonal) aspect to them. My absences would skyrocket at certain times of the month, as many as 60/day. Been on Keppra for 2 weeks & have only had 1 absence during that time! As for the side effects: near constant irritibility, sometimes a sense of hopelessness, apathy, & mood swings. More often than not, I feel detached from the world...like I'm just watchin a movie & I'm not a part of whats going on around me. I'm weighing the trade-off: no seizures or constant crazy? Gonna give it a little more time."

DawnC714 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

For Seizures "Although this drug has paused my seizure activity, I feel like a different person. The first month my mood swings were unreal and almost indescribable. I'd wake up so happy in the morning and be depressed by around 4-5pm. I was and still am fatigued all the time, and little things like walking up the stairs make me out of breath. I also let little things annoy me and unfortunately take it out on the people around me. I have lost 10 pounds since I've started this medication, I have no desire to eat even though I know my body needs food. I feel like Dory from Finding Nemo and it makes me embarrassed at times. My friends will tell me something and I'll completely forget what they said and ask them about it a few minutes later."

Sarai B. (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

For Epilepsy "Keppra was fine for me at first (500 mg twice a day) for 2 months. I suffer from complex partial seizures and experienced a grand mal recently. Then I experienced extreme tiredness, confusion, headaches, greatly increased my depression, could barely go from my bedroom to the living room (never mind managing leaving my house). I had to go back to my neurologist to get switched off such a horrible drug for me. Aptiom (once a day!) so far is a better choice for me."

Jeweltone (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

For Epilepsy "My experience on keppra was awful . Partly responsible for me developing a state of encephalopathy. Mood was evil. I was threatening to strangers and family. I'd flip so suddenly from 0 to 100 without warning at the slightest word out of place. I'd say it's dangerous from patient perspective and would not advocate it as a nurse. Thoughts of negative actions... prolific"

Nurse patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2017

For Seizures "This medication had a negative effect on my daughter. It changed her mood to a negative mood. It made her depressed, and she felt very agitated. It was a very scary experience and would not recommend it to any one."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017

For Epilepsy "Extreme rage. Angry a lot. Quick to snap at minor things. Seizures have stopped for 2 1/2 years with a price to pay. I'd just like to try something else but this is the first medication that works after trying 3 others."

Bogiebear March 26, 2017

For Epilepsy "So I had times where I'd black out and have amnesia. Basically it would scare my parents and after the second time it happened they took me to the doctor. We went through all the test and they all came back normal except for my EEG. it came back abnormal. I was immediately put on keppra and hated every second of it. I started off with 500mg 2x a day. After the first dose I was hallucinating and very confused. The four hour mark was the worst. I was super loopy and couldn't focus for nothing. the medicine caused me to have mood swings and go into a deep depression. My advice if you have any sort of mental illness DON'T TAKE IT. I've struggled with Bulimia, Anxiety, Depression, and Bipolar disorder for years. Seizures stopped. Wasn't worth it"

Princess Pebbles March 23, 2017

For Epilepsy "I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, have tried alot of different medications over this period and Keppra has always been a constant during this time, with interaction with others Starting on 250mg bd & after a decade I'm now taking 1000mg bd with 100mg bd of lamotragine. The main concern is that I'm always tired" mentally and physically, having to rest quite alot & lack of appetite although I have a feeling that this is due to the combination. I recently had a Petit Mal seizure and the Neurologist advised that it was due to missing one dose of lamotragine, although Keppra by itself is a generally peaceful medication. I have been recently diagnosed with haematomachrosis, iron overload, although they've advised it's genetic."

Mr Strong (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2017

For Seizures "I have been on Keppra for about 15 yrs. I received my Epilepsy from a bad car accident when I was young. I received my first Epileptic Seizure when I was 27 yrs old. I have tried every single seizure med made for the severity of my Grand Mal seizures. I now take 5- 500mg pills plus 3- 100mg caps of Dilantin. That is 300 mg shy of brain surgery. I am at piece w/ myself. I know what I have tried, what worked and what didn't. My seizures are extreme. I keep my blood level Therapeutic and have fewer seizures so I know it is working. I still get Grand Mal seizures, just not as many. That proves to me it works. That is all I care about, ME!"

J.M.P February 13, 2017