User Reviews for Keppra

Epilepsy 44 reviews 41 medications

6.2
Summary of Keppra reviews 161 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Keppra

For Epilepsy "Keppra was fine for me at first (500 mg twice a day) for 2 months. I suffer from complex partial seizures and experienced a grand mal recently. Then I experienced extreme tiredness, confusion, headaches, greatly increased my depression, could barely go from my bedroom to the living room (never mind managing leaving my house). I had to go back to my neurologist to get switched off such a horrible drug for me. Aptiom (once a day!) so far is a better choice for me."

Jeweltone (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "My experience on keppra was awful . Partly responsible for me developing a state of encephalopathy. Mood was evil. I was threatening to strangers and family. I'd flip so suddenly from 0 to 100 without warning at the slightest word out of place. I'd say it's dangerous from patient perspective and would not advocate it as a nurse. Thoughts of negative actions... prolific"

Nurse patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "This medication had a negative effect on my daughter. It changed her mood to a negative mood. It made her depressed, and she felt very agitated. It was a very scary experience and would not recommend it to any one."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "Extreme rage. Angry a lot. Quick to snap at minor things. Seizures have stopped for 2 1/2 years with a price to pay. I'd just like to try something else but this is the first medication that works after trying 3 others."

Bogiebear March 26, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "So I had times where I'd black out and have amnesia. Basically it would scare my parents and after the second time it happened they took me to the doctor. We went through all the test and they all came back normal except for my EEG. it came back abnormal. I was immediately put on keppra and hated every second of it. I started off with 500mg 2x a day. After the first dose I was hallucinating and very confused. The four hour mark was the worst. I was super loopy and couldn't focus for nothing. the medicine caused me to have mood swings and go into a deep depression. My advice if you have any sort of mental illness DON'T TAKE IT. I've struggled with Bulimia, Anxiety, Depression, and Bipolar disorder for years. Seizures stopped. Wasn't worth it"

Princess Pebbles March 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, have tried alot of different medications over this period and Keppra has always been a constant during this time, with interaction with others Starting on 250mg bd & after a decade I'm now taking 1000mg bd with 100mg bd of lamotragine. The main concern is that I'm always tired" mentally and physically, having to rest quite alot & lack of appetite although I have a feeling that this is due to the combination. I recently had a Petit Mal seizure and the Neurologist advised that it was due to missing one dose of lamotragine, although Keppra by itself is a generally peaceful medication. I have been recently diagnosed with haematomachrosis, iron overload, although they've advised it's genetic."

Mr Strong (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I have been on Keppra for about 15 yrs. I received my Epilepsy from a bad car accident when I was young. I received my first Epileptic Seizure when I was 27 yrs old. I have tried every single seizure med made for the severity of my Grand Mal seizures. I now take 5- 500mg pills plus 3- 100mg caps of Dilantin. That is 300 mg shy of brain surgery. I am at piece w/ myself. I know what I have tried, what worked and what didn't. My seizures are extreme. I keep my blood level Therapeutic and have fewer seizures so I know it is working. I still get Grand Mal seizures, just not as many. That proves to me it works. That is all I care about, ME!"

J.M.P February 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I have had epilepsy from 18 months old started on epilim. By the time I turned 3 I was seizure free till I was 16. Just before my maths exam I had a seizure wasn't exactly sure what caused. I went to my GP I was put on 100mg of lamotrogine then went up to 250mg of lamotrogine finished on 300 the drug didn't work at all. I was then referred to see a neurologist and we started off taking keppra 500mg alongside with the lamotrogine. We then moved to 750mg or keppra with the lamotrogine BD.After all of that we then moved to 1000mg BD since then to know I'm now on 4grams a day along side 600mg of oxcarbazapine and currently on 6mg of Perampanel. I'm getting the drowsiness tiredness and from the keppra I'm turning aggressive."

Luke valentini (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "First I had partial seizures (after head injury in 2004) and after grand mal 2014 I almost died because of status epilepticus. After that I am on Keppra 1000mg a day (500mg morning, 500mg evening) for 2 years now. First month or two I had headache and double vision, sometimes I was a bit aggressive but after few months it was ok. For me it is good medicine, now i have 10 petit mals a year and I think that bad-heavy weather changes is causing them. I want to tell you, that after first or second month side effects went away. For me it is important, that I take Keppra with good meal in morning and evening. It is good medicine, just do not give up. Love you all."

balulu (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I had my first seizure on 6/12/16 and it was a grand mal seizure. The EEG found scarring on the brain from a fall a few years ago. I was prescribed keppra 250mg twice daily and it was awful. I had loss of memory which the pharmacist says was due to mini seizures. I. Had to lock myself into my room on several days because I was in horrible form. I was so angryAfter 7 days I moved up to 500mg twice daily and I must say I have never felt so good, not in years. I am in fantastic humour all the time. I am full of energy. Even my doctor is shocked. I know it's very early days for me to give a review but I think it's worth sharing a good experience after reading so manybad ones. I'm a 34 year old male if that makes a difference to anyone"

AntocorkIreland (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "Worst drug I have ever taken. Been on it for 4 weeks. Not even sure I had seizure to begin with. All tests, MRI and EEG were negative. Trying to wean myself off. Dizzy, headache, depressed, severe mood swings, angry then lethargic. Sorry I ever went to doctor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I have had epilepsy all my life. I am 48 and been on Dilantin all my life except for the last 5 months. About 5 months ago I had a grand mal seizure and my family dr. wanted me to see a neurologist since I haven't seen one for awhile. Well after seeing my neurologist she changed my medication to Kappa. I really hate this drug. I would maybe have a few to maybe 4 to 5 seizures a yr. that I could feel coming on, now I have had to many to count in the last 5 months than I have had since I was on Dilantin. All the seizures I have had since I have been on Kappra I have not felt coming on, I am very moody, I feel like crap all the time and over all I hate my life. I just want to get back to myself and go back to work but right now I cant."

CJ Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "So on the 30th of July 2016 I turned 28 my birthday I didn't go crazy and party I spent the day with my kiddies an mum, that night was pored a glass of wine had a sip but wasn't feelin up to it so didn't. The next day on the 31st I woke up with a real sore head felt like I had the worse hangover ever even tho I hadn't actually drunk I felt awful but decided to go in to town anyway with mum, kids an my bestie for a little lunch an shoppin was then shoppin an had 4 grand mal seizures, woke up in hospital with a massive black eye and broken nose with not a clue what was going on, my mum an partner cryin tellin me I had just a scan an they found a tumour So they put me on keppra it's bad I have loads of side effects I feel like I'm going crazy"

Kayleigh's August 31, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "This medication created the worst two years of my life. I started having seizures my sophomore year of college and am now a senior and I have been on Keppra the past two years. The doctors never explained the severe side effects that would go along with this horrible drug. I used to be always a happy kid and since I started taking Keppra I constantly dealt with mood swings, uncontrollable anger, severe depression, constant thoughts of suicide, weight gain, and hair loss! I can't believe it took me such a long time to get off of this stupid drug. The seizures never stopped either and all the doctors would do is increase my dosage every time. I'm currently at 3000mg a day and am slowly weeding myself off of this drug and going all natural."

Anonymous August 23, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "Anger, moodiness, hopelessness, irritability, trouble making cohesive thoughts, very serious suicidal urge. Same day after first pill of 500 mg."

Concerned Citizen 40's August 14, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy " I Ve had nothing but problems with the Keppera : constant shaking in my arms & legs & pins & needles feeling in my arms & legs severe light headedness no appetite & etc."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "Good for Epilepsy but the feelings you get whilst taking them are so bad, I have a feeling in my back of burning and on the inside also as if my tummy is burning also. It is so good for fits if only on them a short while, but not so good to be taken too long. I wish my Docs would understand what they are putting me through with this drug and how I feel, but they do not understand or do not want to !! They just say "so you know better than the Doctors?". I know these drugs are doing me in and seeing Dr about them so wish me luck !! phew"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I havery epilepsy since I was a baby. I take Lamictal and Keppra. Last year I had a grand mal seizure. Went to the hospital and everything. I saw my neurologist and she put me on Lamictal XR and Keppra XR. Ever since then I'm having a lot of side effects. I have atleast 10 of them from both Lamictal and Keppra. Having problems from both. My neurologist does not care about the side effects. I'm scared to go outside a lot. I'm moody every day, sleep during the day, insomnia, diarrhea, constipation, etc, it is annoying. I want to be off of thsee pills and want a better life. I rather take something else."

Sam415 (taken for 10 years or more) July 2, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "All depends on the individual I actually found that Keppra made my seizures WORSE. I started taking Keppra and was fine for 2 years with no side affects, no seizures, nothing, then 1 day I had a massive grand Mal seizure the doctors keep upping my dose. Now I am on the maximum dose but still having seizures. Before I took Keppra I had only a few fits in my life now I have them about once every couple of weeks."

Susannaeleven June 23, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Epilepsy "This medication has been an on and off solution. It used to cause a lot of keppra rage. but am on another medication that are for seizures that also help with my anger bouts."

Dhani (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I was prescribed Keppra 5/3/16 after a Grand Mal at work and an abnormal EEG. I had been having absence seizures for many years, this was my first major. I am having some pretty bad side effects including dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, anger, agitation, and depression. It is tough because I am a single mom and have to work but I go to work and just sit there because I can't concentrate and don't feel like moving. I am still only taking 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening. I was directed to move to 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening after 3 days but I just don't feel like I can handle it. I feel so hopeless and hope that the side effects will subside"

topsoil May 13, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "Within a week suffered suicidal thoughts psychosis hallucinations rages and self harming acts!"

Keppra Sensitive (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "Our daughter was diagnosed 7 yrs ago and is now10 . She has tonic clonic and partial seizures sometimes out to 15 in one day bless her . We've tried epilim which was great for about 4 yrs the they crept back up so we tried tegratol and lamotragine together. They didn't work at all , so now she's on keppra. After just 3 days she had fits and was very happy girl . ( she has severe developmental delay) so it is hard to judge how she is feeling , but now she isn't eating and seems very very aggressive, we don't know what to do for the best?!?!?!?!"

Nessquick (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "I love this stuff, once we got the seizures under control with correct dose for me, I have had NO side effects, and my headaches stopped"

Penny Coleman 37 April 12, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Seizures "My 11 year old son was given Keppra due to a dual concussion that lead to seizures in 4/2010. He hated the way it made him feel. His neurologist put him on extended release Keppra which cause him to loose 30 pounds within a 3 month span. He was rushed to the hospital due to high sugar - 564 dl. In ICU, he was given Keppra at night, during his sleep, his heart rate would slow down to 50 and set off the heart monitors all night. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with his heart after running numerous test. The medication compromised his system, caused Type 1 diabetes and triggered irregular heart beats. I weened him off Keppra against doctors wishes 10/2010. He has had no seizures since, but still has Type I, he is 17 yrs ."

Rebecca Smyser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2016