User Reviews for Keppra

Epilepsy
5.7

Summary of Keppra reviews 6.3 192 reviews

Reviews for Keppra

For Seizures "over 2 years in now and Keppra is keeping my seizures away but the 2500mg a day has made me a different person for sure . -don’t feel excited to socialize as much. -feel fatigued a lot , can easily dose off if not doing anything that requires my attention. -old memories can bring on strong emotions that normally wouldn’t before and memory is not nearly as strong as it was , constantly setting myself reminders for things i should easily remember."

RJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2019

For Epilepsy "It wasn’t what you would call a fun experience. It was the first of 14 medications I was placed on and I was only on it for two days. They took me off because of how excessively severe the keppra side effects were"

PearKing (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2019

For Epilepsy "Keppra made me extremely dizzy to the extent I had to hold onto furniture to keep from falling down. My doctor put me on lamotrigine. During the switch, I had a grand mal."

Joe (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2019

For Seizures "I’ve been on keppra for about 2 years for my seizures and the side effects are on and off. My main problems are I’m extremely short tempered, often very depressed, and most importantly this medication causes so much plaque build up in my mouth. Whenever they raise the dosage on me I have to go to the dentist once a month with issues with my gums bleeding or a tooth being on the verge of being a cavity, and I brush twice a day and floss every night before bed. My dentist was very confused why I had to keep coming in with mouth problems until I told him I was epileptic and on Keppra, my dentist told me of the oral side effects, dry mouth etc."

Bole (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2019

For Seizures "This drug does work but it also makes me very depressed."

Bella (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2019

For Seizures "I have been using Keppra now for over a year. I have had no side affects from it whatsoever, maybe occassionally my short term memory is not 100% but apart from that I am amazed at it. Compared to the drugs I was taking as a child Keppra has kept me seizure free for over a year now."

Guscrawl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2019

For Seizures "This is the most horrible medication I have ever taken. My usual personality is calm, reasonable, optimistic, positive etc. Well not with this medication. My husband and I have been married for 43 years, we have had our ups and downs but never thought of divorce. With this medication my husband stood by me. What we went through was uncontrollable everything, crying, screaming, unreasonable, and just plane hysteria. He was a saint, I on the other hand I was totally out of control and could not stop myself no matter how hard I tried."

Divorce drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 23, 2019

For Seizures "Experienced mood swings, including increased emotionality (crying, anger, etc.); had difficulty falling asleep/restlessness (tired & wired feeling); muscle cramping and joint aches became more frequent, as well as general body fatigue & lethargy; appetite was lowered and indigestion was common; dry mouth occurred regularly; and forgetfulness, attention problems, etc. were apparent. Seizures did not continue while on the 250 mg twice a day dose, but side effects outweighed the benefits. Especially considering I could not take the full 500 mg twice a day prescribed dosage."

Timilicious (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2019

For Seizures "I’ve had 2 seizures, both morning after heavy drinking. Neurologist says I have predisposition to seizures triggered by alcohol withdrawal. I was given Keppra in the ER, and then twice daily 500mg prescription to take home. Effects were generally fine, a little spacey first few days but then pretty much back to normal. Neurologist suggested I move to a 1000mg dose once a day of extended release pills. On their recommendation, I took my typical 500mg standard release in the morning, and then 1000mg (2 500mg pills) extended release dose tonight. Dear god the side effects. My whole body became jittery, I was having panic attacks, and my eyes were fluttering so much I thought I’d have another seizure at any moment. I didn’t, and after 6 terrifying hours I’m mostly back to normal. I will no longer take both pills at once as directed, and will instead spread the doses as I had been with the standard release. I’m going to continue to push my neurologist to ween me off these drugs."

John December 1, 2018

For Seizures "I have been on this medication almost since it was introduced, being on other medications that stopped the seizures but had to have blood test every 6 months for liver function, those ones that didn't stop my seizures. Keppra has stopped all my seizure activity with little or no side effects after being on it for the first year. Occasionally I feel the emotional effects of depression, and mood swings but am able to mentally talk myself out of the negative mental state, change the emphasis of what is causing the irritability, and changing my environment ( getting out and socializing, viewing nature, what ever it takes). Overall Keppra holds my seizures from occurring, with minimal effects."

Kent (taken for 10 years or more) October 17, 2018

For Epilepsy "I've been struggling with seizures for seven years. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy and put on keppra. I currently take the almost the max dosage 1,750 mg twice a day. I struggled with grand mal seizures so much before starting keppra. Ever since I started keppra I've only had one grand mal occur a year ago. Although keppra helped my grand mal seizures it didn't prevent my partial seizures or otherwise petit mal seizures. Keppra doesn't react badly with other meds or the body. Overall satisfied with keppra!"

Beccaw (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 1, 2018

For Epilepsy "I started having seizures as a teenager. I have simple and complex partial. I have found that taking Keppra along with Tegretol XR has kept me stable. Another part is making sure you know your triggers (stress, flashing lights, hormonal changes, illness, alcohol, roller coasters, lack of sleep or food, dehydration, etc and avoiding, or at least try to minimize them. The combination of the right medication and knowing yourself and your illness goes a long way."

Sweetsunshine425 (taken for 10 years or more) September 2, 2018

For Epilepsy "Keppra was terrible for me. The worst was the mood swings that were uncontrollable for me. I'm a nice guy, but I literally hated everyone. Fired from jobs for misconduct and anger issues. I had surgery in 2012 and it improved my situation, but I still take Vimpat, Lamotrogine, and have my medical marijuana license as well. Looking and feeling like the best meds combination for me."

CTINFL (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2018

For Epilepsy "Keppra has made me angry beyond words, impatient, and now I cry all of the time. It has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion and not being able to control it. I feel like I’m going to explode all of the time. There has to be anything better than this."

Not myself (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Seizures "I have been seizure free since 2014. It was two weeks before starting keppra that I had my last seizure so it's been three and a half years seizure free. As far as bad side effects it could possibly have given me attention and memory issues it's hard to say because I don't remember having that great of a memory to begin with but other then that it's been good. I got my license back 3 years ago as I had my second seizure at age 19 and had my license taken away so now at the age of 25 I couldn't be happier. I never look back and think I will have another but I will probably take keppra the rest of my life if it is what is helping me and my epilepsy. I also had allergic reactions to 2 types of anti epileptic medications and then was placed on a drug that wasn't helping my seizures at all so keppra was a God send"

TayorM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 7, 2018

For Epilepsy "When my Keppra was wearing off, I would start to twitch! I couldn't stop twitching and I was becoming more and more aggressive! My body felt more unbalanced and I fell twice. I encourage you to speak to your doctor to thoroughly investigate what meds are out there that doesn't make you mean and walk like a twitchy drunk!"

Twitched too much! April 3, 2018

For Seizures "Would not recommend for elderly. Mom was sent home from hospital with this med. She became very moody and talking suicidal (never in her 90+ life). She went downhill - no longer walking, couldn’t hold herself up, and dark urine. Happened over weekend I stop the med and she began coming back up to her normal self and is now better."

Caretaker for Mom (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Seizures "My boyfriend is 22 years old and he has never experienced seizures before and then one day at work after not eating or sleeping very well he had a seizure (I forget what kind of seizure) he was rushed to the hospital and they did scans and tried to send him home after 10 mins of leaving the hospital he had another seizure. (just to mention his dads sister has seizures and is on Dilantin) then he had a bunch of CAT scans and an EEG and nothing came back, but now he has to take keppra 4000mg a day for 3 months . He hates it he's very moody now, depressed and he was never like this before. They are going to do a stress test after the 3 months of taking keppra and see if not sleeping and eating right caused abnormal brain waves... I just want this to be over"

Al12345678910 December 14, 2017

For Epilepsy "I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 13 due to my cerebral palsy I had been taking zonegran since then I had weaned myself off of my medication when I got pregnant and had been seizure free for almost 7 years I recently had a relapse and began seeing a different neurologist she put me on keppra THE WORST three months of my life my moods would go from 0-60 in a matter of seconds and for no valid reason I had trouble remembering things even troubling with communication it’s true I also began to have suicidal thoughts and became to much to handle even for myself I would randomly cry then get angry I recently was referred to another neourologist who asked me about these symptoms and then it clicked I DO NOT recommend this medication to anyone"

B’gosh (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 2, 2017

For Epilepsy "I was on Keppra for about 6 months as an addition to oxcarbazepine. From the first week of taking keppra I had developed a horribly annoying eye twitch. At first I thought it was from lack of sleep but after about three months and the twitch being consistent on 3/4 days a week, after a little research online I realized that keppra was the culprit. Besides the physical side effect my family told me I was just about unbearable with how moody I was while on it (I was on the dosage of 250mg x2). My neurologist told me to give it 6 months to see it the side effects decreased over time. Before I reached the 6 month mark I had a break through seizure and that ended my journey with keppra."

medicatedin07 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 20, 2017

For Epilepsy "Developed epilepsy due to several strokes while fighting sepsis/septic shock about 4 years ago. I am in the middle of weaning off Keppra and moving to lamictal. While I was seizure free on Keppra, the Kepprage, depression, and suicidal thoughts made me think it might be better to take my chances with seizures..hopefully the lamictal will be effective. I also with there was more science behind cannabis, and I lived in a state that allows medical cannabis. CBD seems like an option to supplement the conventional medications, but I can't say I complain about the occasional "buzz" via full spectrum cannabis."

Dr. Indica (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 20, 2017

For Epilepsy "As a 42 year old female, I have had seizures my entire life. I have taken 14 anti-convulsants at one point or another in an attempt to control my complex-partial seizures, but Keppra is the WORST medication I have EVER taken. The side effects are horrible. Although it's the only medication that has been able to stop my seizures, the side effects are so terrible that it's not worth taking it. I couldn't string together a coherent thought, had short term memory loss, had awful mood swings, and suddenly hated life. Everything was difficult, I couldn't think straight, and felt emotionally raw all the time. I could barely keep it together while on this medication. Every day of life was AWFUL while on this medication. I will NEVER take it again."

Pacific NW November 18, 2017

For Seizures "I haven't had a seizure in over 3 years because of this drug. It has helped me so much in daily life that I can't imagine my life without it. The price is also very reasonable considering what it treats."

Hamburgers November 15, 2017

For Seizures "I dont like using keppra at all. Since the start of using keppra, I keep on having suicidal thoughts everyday which I don't want to have. Keppra is making my life worse than ever. My mood is changing every minute. It has impacted my schoolwork so much. I have trouble remembering things and being happy. Sometimes I cry so hard and say to myself "I can't take this drug anymore". My self esteem is getting very low everyday. This drug is destroying my relationship with my friends and family. I just want to be able to tell them and my school what my feelings are and not pretend to put a mask of happiness over my face."

Mtusa7 November 11, 2017

For Seizures "Sometimes I feel drowsy, sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I don't. I am not sure if it is really part of the medication but I do know I don't seizure on it. Compared to the first type of medication I tried (it sent me loopy) this is a lot better, but it could also be better. -Over the years start to analyse how your head processes, how much do you remember and make sure you're not getting slowly cranky on it."

madds (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2017