User Reviews for Keppra

Epilepsy 39 reviews 40 medications

6.5
Summary of Keppra reviews 154 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Keppra

For Seizures "I have had epilepsy from 18 months old started on epilim. By the time I turned 3 I was seizure free till I was 16. Just before my maths exam I had a seizure wasn't exactly sure what caused. I went to my GP I was put on 100mg of lamotrogine then went up to 250mg of lamotrogine finished on 300 the drug didn't work at all. I was then referred to see a neurologist and we started off taking keppra 500mg alongside with the lamotrogine. We then moved to 750mg or keppra with the lamotrogine BD.After all of that we then moved to 1000mg BD since then to know I'm now on 4grams a day along side 600mg of oxcarbazapine and currently on 6mg of Perampanel. I'm getting the drowsiness tiredness and from the keppra I'm turning aggressive."

Luke valentini (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2016

For Seizures "First I had partial seizures (after head injury in 2004) and after grand mal 2014 I almost died because of status epilepticus. After that I am on Keppra 1000mg a day (500mg morning, 500mg evening) for 2 years now. First month or two I had headache and double vision, sometimes I was a bit aggressive but after few months it was ok. For me it is good medicine, now i have 10 petit mals a year and I think that bad-heavy weather changes is causing them. I want to tell you, that after first or second month side effects went away. For me it is important, that I take Keppra with good meal in morning and evening. It is good medicine, just do not give up. Love you all."

balulu (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2016

For Seizures "I had my first seizure on 6/12/16 and it was a grand mal seizure. The EEG found scarring on the brain from a fall a few years ago. I was prescribed keppra 250mg twice daily and it was awful. I had loss of memory which the pharmacist says was due to mini seizures. I. Had to lock myself into my room on several days because I was in horrible form. I was so angryAfter 7 days I moved up to 500mg twice daily and I must say I have never felt so good, not in years. I am in fantastic humour all the time. I am full of energy. Even my doctor is shocked. I know it's very early days for me to give a review but I think it's worth sharing a good experience after reading so manybad ones. I'm a 34 year old male if that makes a difference to anyone"

AntocorkIreland (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2016

For Seizures "Worst drug I have ever taken. Been on it for 4 weeks. Not even sure I had seizure to begin with. All tests, MRI and EEG were negative. Trying to wean myself off. Dizzy, headache, depressed, severe mood swings, angry then lethargic. Sorry I ever went to doctor."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 28, 2016

For Seizures "I have had epilepsy all my life. I am 48 and been on Dilantin all my life except for the last 5 months. About 5 months ago I had a grand mal seizure and my family dr. wanted me to see a neurologist since I haven't seen one for awhile. Well after seeing my neurologist she changed my medication to Kappa. I really hate this drug. I would maybe have a few to maybe 4 to 5 seizures a yr. that I could feel coming on, now I have had to many to count in the last 5 months than I have had since I was on Dilantin. All the seizures I have had since I have been on Kappra I have not felt coming on, I am very moody, I feel like crap all the time and over all I hate my life. I just want to get back to myself and go back to work but right now I cant."

CJ Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

For Seizures "So on the 30th of July 2016 I turned 28 my birthday I didn't go crazy and party I spent the day with my kiddies an mum, that night was pored a glass of wine had a sip but wasn't feelin up to it so didn't. The next day on the 31st I woke up with a real sore head felt like I had the worse hangover ever even tho I hadn't actually drunk I felt awful but decided to go in to town anyway with mum, kids an my bestie for a little lunch an shoppin was then shoppin an had 4 grand mal seizures, woke up in hospital with a massive black eye and broken nose with not a clue what was going on, my mum an partner cryin tellin me I had just a scan an they found a tumour So they put me on keppra it's bad I have loads of side effects I feel like I'm going crazy"

Kayleigh's August 31, 2016

For Epilepsy "This medication created the worst two years of my life. I started having seizures my sophomore year of college and am now a senior and I have been on Keppra the past two years. The doctors never explained the severe side effects that would go along with this horrible drug. I used to be always a happy kid and since I started taking Keppra I constantly dealt with mood swings, uncontrollable anger, severe depression, constant thoughts of suicide, weight gain, and hair loss! I can't believe it took me such a long time to get off of this stupid drug. The seizures never stopped either and all the doctors would do is increase my dosage every time. I'm currently at 3000mg a day and am slowly weeding myself off of this drug and going all natural."

Anonymous August 23, 2016

For Epilepsy "Anger, moodiness, hopelessness, irritability, trouble making cohesive thoughts, very serious suicidal urge. Same day after first pill of 500 mg."

Concerned Citizen 40's August 14, 2016

For Epilepsy " I Ve had nothing but problems with the Keppera : constant shaking in my arms & legs & pins & needles feeling in my arms & legs severe light headedness no appetite & etc."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

For Epilepsy "Good for Epilepsy but the feelings you get whilst taking them are so bad, I have a feeling in my back of burning and on the inside also as if my tummy is burning also. It is so good for fits if only on them a short while, but not so good to be taken too long. I wish my Docs would understand what they are putting me through with this drug and how I feel, but they do not understand or do not want to !! They just say "so you know better than the Doctors?". I know these drugs are doing me in and seeing Dr about them so wish me luck !! phew"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2016

For Seizures "I havery epilepsy since I was a baby. I take Lamictal and Keppra. Last year I had a grand mal seizure. Went to the hospital and everything. I saw my neurologist and she put me on Lamictal XR and Keppra XR. Ever since then I'm having a lot of side effects. I have atleast 10 of them from both Lamictal and Keppra. Having problems from both. My neurologist does not care about the side effects. I'm scared to go outside a lot. I'm moody every day, sleep during the day, insomnia, diarrhea, constipation, etc, it is annoying. I want to be off of thsee pills and want a better life. I rather take something else."

Sam415 (taken for 10 years or more) July 2, 2016

For Seizures "All depends on the individual I actually found that Keppra made my seizures WORSE. I started taking Keppra and was fine for 2 years with no side affects, no seizures, nothing, then 1 day I had a massive grand Mal seizure the doctors keep upping my dose. Now I am on the maximum dose but still having seizures. Before I took Keppra I had only a few fits in my life now I have them about once every couple of weeks."

Susannaeleven June 23, 2016

For Epilepsy "This medication has been an on and off solution. It used to cause a lot of keppra rage. but am on another medication that are for seizures that also help with my anger bouts."

Dhani (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2016

For Seizures "I was prescribed Keppra 5/3/16 after a Grand Mal at work and an abnormal EEG. I had been having absence seizures for many years, this was my first major. I am having some pretty bad side effects including dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, anger, agitation, and depression. It is tough because I am a single mom and have to work but I go to work and just sit there because I can't concentrate and don't feel like moving. I am still only taking 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening. I was directed to move to 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening after 3 days but I just don't feel like I can handle it. I feel so hopeless and hope that the side effects will subside"

topsoil May 13, 2016

For Seizures "Within a week suffered suicidal thoughts psychosis hallucinations rages and self harming acts!"

Keppra Sensitive (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

For Seizures "Our daughter was diagnosed 7 yrs ago and is now10 . She has tonic clonic and partial seizures sometimes out to 15 in one day bless her . We've tried epilim which was great for about 4 yrs the they crept back up so we tried tegratol and lamotragine together. They didn't work at all , so now she's on keppra. After just 3 days she had fits and was very happy girl . ( she has severe developmental delay) so it is hard to judge how she is feeling , but now she isn't eating and seems very very aggressive, we don't know what to do for the best?!?!?!?!"

Nessquick (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For Seizures "I love this stuff, once we got the seizures under control with correct dose for me, I have had NO side effects, and my headaches stopped"

Penny Coleman 37 April 12, 2016

For Seizures "My 11 year old son was given Keppra due to a dual concussion that lead to seizures in 4/2010. He hated the way it made him feel. His neurologist put him on extended release Keppra which cause him to loose 30 pounds within a 3 month span. He was rushed to the hospital due to high sugar - 564 dl. In ICU, he was given Keppra at night, during his sleep, his heart rate would slow down to 50 and set off the heart monitors all night. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with his heart after running numerous test. The medication compromised his system, caused Type 1 diabetes and triggered irregular heart beats. I weened him off Keppra against doctors wishes 10/2010. He has had no seizures since, but still has Type I, he is 17 yrs ."

Rebecca Smyser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2016

For Seizures "I've been on every seizure medication invented. Keppera or genetic Levatiraacetam is by far the worst one I've been on. The side effects have ruined my life. I gained over 45 pounds the first year on it. I am now almost 70 pounds heavier than I was before I started taking the medication. I can't work anymore because I have severe depression, anxiety & insomnia. I tell people off for the craziest things & am super paranoid all the time. Despite the that I take antidepressants, anxiety & sleeping meds. I used to be a terrific nurse, winning awards & receiving all kinds of gratitude. Now I can no longer do anything. I am terrified to leave the house, take a shower, clean or go anywhere. I have no life, I just exist. Can't wait to get off this!"

Jenna C. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

For Seizures "My brother had a tumor 15 yrs ago removed after having a seizure. Takes 1000mg keppra a day. He has mood swings, diarrea if he does eat b4 so, and delusional. Still effective. I started having anxiety attacks n seizures at 24yrs of age. Neurologist perscribed me keppra 500mg daily and 2mg xanax a day when needed, usually I break xanax into pieces as u can because they have little bars to do so. I don't have any side effects besides feeling sleepy at the end of the day. I don't take xanax til after work at the end of the day as xanax does makes me sleepy. Keppra deserves 10 for me. But my brother rates it 7. Every one is different. I know this is for keppra but XANAX is not for anyone a lot of people can't handle the drug and can't control themselves let doc determine."

RyanB (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

For Seizures "After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

For Epilepsy "I was diagnosed at 13 years old with grand mal seizures due to my period. Was put on Keppra 250 mg twice a day. I'm 21 now and still take it. It does control my seizures ( though I still get Aura's once in a while) and I have experienced all the side effects. My parents and friends will be the first to tell you how drastically I have changed from this medication. It makes you very irritable, tired, depressed, CRAZY mood swings and short tempered. Through the years, I've learned to handle it better. When I was 15 I stopped taking them to see if I grew it out of it, suggested by my neuro, and had 3 seizures in 3 days. Have been taking it every day ever since. Keeps me to live a normal life, like drive a car and go to school!"

Anonymous January 30, 2016

For Seizures "I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

For Seizures "I have jerky events that have not technically been epilepsy, but it runs throughout my mom's side of the family and I have just started keppra at 2000mg a day. I have been on topamax for a couple years now and my doc added keppra in conjunction with 300mg topamax a day, since only 400mg of topamax a day was not working and the side effects of memory loss and painful pins/needles were too awful to deal with. Keppra so far has only made me feel a zonked and not too hungry, but my memory is coming back which I am happy about. I also have not had event. I am sure the zombieness will wear off with some time."

Anonymous January 18, 2016

For Seizures "Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016