User Reviews for Keppra to treat Epilepsy

Keppra has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 82 ratings for the treatment of Epilepsy. 45% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 39% reported a negative effect.

Keppra Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Keppra

Scott · Taken for 10 years or more September 26, 2020

“When first put on keppra, things seemed to be fine. But over time, when I had my annual neuro appointment and I’d tell them of any seizures I’d had that year, they’d up the keppra dosage. And the more keppra I took, the more seizures I had. I didn’t realize that till later. At one point I was on 4000mg (?too much?) of the XR version daily. That’s when I figured that the keppra was the culprit to more frequent seizures. And the after effects of a seizure while on that dosage lasted for days. They were major depression, headache and minor after shocks like another seizure was going to happen. In the past three years I’m working my way slowly off this drug. Now no longer on the XR version, just regular immediate release pills. On 500mg a day. I have less seizures. And if I do, I recover from them within an hour or so. One more thing. On the Keppa XR, keppra rage was no joke. I’d be fine. The out of the blue, just all hateful and mad for no reason. Any little thing would set me off.”

Rev · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2020

“Being on Keppra gave me side effects like living a real life nightmare. I heard voices in my head. I saw demons. People's faces shifted and everyone was out to get me. This drug twisted reality and turned my world upside down in only 11 days. Now my seizures are out of control and my life will never be the same.”

B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2020

“Worst drug ever in my opinion!!! Here were my side effects- irritability, paranoia, anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite, numbness and tingling in my arms and legs, it would make my aura seizures come more often than they normally would without medication, felt dizzy and light headed, which would worsen during an aura seizure. Made me get aura seizures when I was still asleep and it would wake me up! Made me feel suicidal also. I took the medication for about six months and have had more than enough of it. Was tired each day I could barely get up to do normal things, even to cook. I decided to wean off myself, I decreased dose to half a tablet in morning, hoping it would stop at the very least my aura seizures in my sleep, but it didn’t help. I then thought after a few months- enough is enough. After taking half a tablet in morning for few months I stopped taking it completely. Never felt better. Wouldn’t go back on it if my life depended on it.”

CB June 9, 2020

“I have been on leviteracetam (Keppra) for almost 6 years now before that I was on sodium valporate. In the beginning it caused me confusion, slowmo kind of feeling, mood swings and a typical pressure inside my head. But after 2-3 months the effects started to fade away. And about cognitive ability, I didn't find any change, I sailed through tough competitive exam and achieved my goal. I am more confidant right now, and when I get stress or anxiety I do breathing exercise and it helps a lot. So its not bad for everyone I guess. Stay happy.”

BelleDonna · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

“Keppra not only increased my seizures from 3 a year to 5-7 grand mals a week but also kept me conscious during them so that I was able to feel every excruciating moment. Normally the human brain blacks out during a seizure. Thanks to this drug, I was able to feel and remember my muscles tightening and fighting against each other, my head trying to hit again the floor and my legs and arms trying to kick and beat the air. As soon as I was able I switched doctors and medication. This needs to be pulled from the shelves!!!!!!”

Sweetsunshine425 · Taken for 10 years or more September 2, 2018

“I started having seizures as a teenager. I have simple and complex partial. I have found that taking Keppra along with Tegretol XR has kept me stable. Another part is making sure you know your triggers (stress, flashing lights, hormonal changes, illness, alcohol, roller coasters, lack of sleep or food, dehydration, etc and avoiding, or at least try to minimize them. The combination of the right medication and knowing yourself and your illness goes a long way.”

Des13 September 16, 2009

“I started having seizures when I was 16 (I'm now 23), with no past family history. The cause of them are still unknown, and without medication I have one every 4-5 months while sleeping. My first anti-epileptic medication was Lamictal from which I suffered a severe rash. I started Keppra (500mg 2x daily) and haven't had a seizure since taking it (knock on wood). After two years of treatment, I came off from Keppra and had a seizure after 5 months without the medication. I'm back on it, and have been seizure-free for almost two years now. I do have side effects from Keppra though. I'm tired a lot, have mood swings, experience bouts of insomnia, headaches, and dizziness. Overall the medicine works well, but obviously would like to be off it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 17, 2020

“I have been on Keppra for 5 years along with lamictal at first didn't realize any side effects of Keppra but once I got taken off lamictal the side affects appeared, didn't feel like myself. Became very depressed irritable and anxiety through the roof. Would get intrusive thoughts and found out from my new neurologist that it's all from the medication KEPPRA.”

JJ40 June 29, 2015

“I was on 1500mg of Keppra (generic) for partial seizures that progressed into a grand mal seizure. Immediately upon starting the meds, I noticed that things were different. I felt disconnected from myself, trouble with attention, word finding, coordination, mood, working and longterm memory. However, I was seizure free and I needed to drive so I pushed through, not enjoying my life as much and making terrible social decisions. Finally after 4 years, my neurologist is helping me wean off so that I can start a family without worry. I am down to 250mg a day and WHOA my whole life is changing. I feel centered, even, connected. I am so sad about how I was living my life on Keppra. Don't ruin your life ”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 29, 2020

“My 16 yr old daughter has been on this medicine for a little over a year now and since starting it, has not had another grand mal seizure. The side effects that she got when first starting have decreased significantly or are gone completely. Prior to starting this medicine, she had 2 grand mal seizures and was subsequently diagnosed via EEG with epilepsy. Since she has been seizure free since starting this medicine I can only say that it does what it is intended to do......cease seizures. So I give it a definite thumbs up!”

Blazeem October 15, 2015

“When I first started jeopardy I noticed instability with my emotions, especially anger. After a complete rage out I decided to do some research and discovered that taking a vitamin b6 supplement helps to reduce or eliminate this effect. The results were instantanious with me. If you take keppra I strongly recommend getting the b6 supplement. I take 1 in the morning with breakfast.”

Marriage Doc · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 28, 2013

“After EEG showed seizure activity, Neurologist started me on 500mg/day Keppra. At the 4 hr mark, I felt very spaced out. Couldn't think, hazy, slurring speech, lethargic, etc. Neuro suggested I start taking at night, so that I could "sleep through" the odd feeling. Now, I WAKE up at the 4 hr mark... on the dot, every single night. I still feel spaced out, and find it hard to get comfortable and fall back asleep. Takes me about an hour to fall back asleep. Sleep disturbances cause me to feel tired during day.”

OwenD · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2020

“I have been on Keppra for 12 years and at first it improved my seizures, been epileptic for 29 years. However side effects are brutal. The lack of sleep affects my day to day life the depression and panic attacks are awful and the rage can be horrendous. Generally I’m a calm person, I meditate daily and have to to keep from screaming at everything. It’s like always being at your worst and there are days you question your own sanity or the point of carrying on. I am trying to convince my neurologists to find an alternative to this awful tablet as I’m now at the point where I have panic attacks even leaving my bedroom, my vision is constantly blurred and flickering and it feels like I have a CONSTANT aura as I get pre seizure. I’m lucky enough to have not had the suicidal thoughts but even without them I can sympathise with those who do as it may well seem the only way out.”

Brandonnnnnnn · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 5, 2014

“I had my first seizure over 3 years ago at the age of 23. Upon receiving a MRI scan I learned that I had a brain tumor called pleomorfic xantro Astro sytoma. After having it removed I was put on Keppra XR 1500mg twice a day and have been seizure free ever since. However recently I have been having new side effects appear. At first the only side effect I had was exhaustion and occasional insomnia however over the past two weeks I have had tingling sensations on my scalp and bouts of vertigo and I am very scared about what this could mean I hope everyone else is doing well.”

EKR15 · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2013

“I started taking Keppra 500MG twice a day 2 weeks ago after being hospitalized for a tonic-clonic seizure lasting about a half hour. Since I started taking the 500MG, I used to fall asleep for more than 8 hours at a time. I've gotten a few headaches, but nothing as serious as the ones I used to get before. My reaction/talking/thinking time was definitely slowed down, but its improved a lot. The first week I used to sleep the whole night through, now its reversed where I can't stay asleep all night. I noticed my mood has changed and mostly for the worse (angry all the time). Really frustrating to adjust to but hoping for the best. Seizure-free so far!”

carolinus · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

“I was tried on Keppra for a short period as a possible substitute for Dilantin, with the results that; it did control my seizures, but after just two weeks, to borrow from the prescribing information it produced "hostile and aggressive behavior" over even the slightest thing. That was the first time. The second time that I was tried on Keppra, I spent a year on probation for assault. You can guess my opinion It works well for some people, but I fear it's not as safe as the UCB and the FDA claim.”

Beccaw · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2018

“I've been struggling with seizures for seven years. A year and a half ago I was diagnosed with epilepsy and put on keppra. I currently take the almost the max dosage 1,750 mg twice a day. I struggled with grand mal seizures so much before starting keppra. Ever since I started keppra I've only had one grand mal occur a year ago. Although keppra helped my grand mal seizures it didn't prevent my partial seizures or otherwise petit mal seizures. Keppra doesn't react badly with other meds or the body. Overall satisfied with keppra!”

April S · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 13, 2015

“I was having difficulty getting diagnosed because I was not having grand mal seizures. I was, however, having about 80 simple partial seizures a month for 10 years straight. We thought maybe anxiety. Nothing was picked up on scans cause it was impossible for me to know exactly when it would happen, so it was never happening while scans were performed. Finally, 10 years later, they turned into grand mals. I started on Keppra 2 years ago and have not had a single seizure since. 3500mg daily. To go from 80 a month to NONE at all... This stuff had given me my life back. And no side effects for me!”

Lizzeh · Taken for less than 1 month July 28, 2013

“I just had my third seizure and I was switched from Topamax to Keppra. I find that this medicine makes me hyper and then extremely tired. I am 18 years of age and I experience the depression side effect and almost all of the side effects. Really wanting to find a right balance.”

Frank · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2020

“Have been taking Keppra for more than 2 years now and I have never noticed a problem when using. It has completely stopped all of my seizures and gives me no side effects, on top of that, it is a water-soluble drug meaning that I just urinate it out leaving no way for it to do any damage to me. Currently I am on 1500 mg a day or XR medication. On the first time it was prescribed, I never took it for the sole reason that there were so many side effects listed. I had seizures because of my actions. After taking it, I never had a seizure since and feel better than ever. I recommend use of this medication if prescribed!!”

amandajayne1028 September 5, 2009

“I have been epileptic since I was 5 years old. Now I am 24 years old. I started taking Keppra 2 years ago. In the beginning I was so tired and sleepy- nearly lethargic. That wore off after the first 3 months of being on Keppra. Since I have been on Keppra for over two years I only have had 1 seizure and it was because I missed a dose. But sometimes I think there are other side effects due to Keppra such as lack of concentration, frustruation, irritable and anger.”

Anonymous August 23, 2016

“This medication created the worst two years of my life. I started having seizures my sophomore year of college and am now a senior and I have been on Keppra the past two years. The doctors never explained the severe side effects that would go along with this horrible drug. I used to be always a happy kid and since I started taking Keppra I constantly dealt with mood swings, uncontrollable anger, severe depression, constant thoughts of suicide, weight gain, and hair loss! I can't believe it took me such a long time to get off of this stupid drug. The seizures never stopped either and all the doctors would do is increase my dosage every time. I'm currently at 3000mg a day and am slowly weeding myself off of this drug and going all natural.”

Not worth it July 29, 2015

“I have been on Keppra for two years and would not recommend it. Keppra greatly reduced the frequency and severity of my seizures BUT it did so at a cost. Since starting Keppra I've consistently experienced depression, anxiety, and compulsive suicidal thoughts. It has significantly impacted my quality of life in terms of mental health.”

Amyjanecunningham · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2014

“Keppra seemed to stop my seizures for my mild epilepsy however the side effects were so bad that I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. The worst side effect was suicidal depression. Prior to taking Keppra I did not suffer depression. I'm back on Epilim now.”

JHodges · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 26, 2014

“I have been on Keppra for 2 years taking 3000mg per day along with 400mg a day of Vimpat and I am still having at least 2 a week. They put in a VNS in Oct, 2013 and I am still having them. I just am having some side effects like... falling, dizziness and being ill if something is said in the wrong tone. I hope that make sense. I just get aggravated easy and I just can't get rid of my headaches.”

Learn more about Epilepsy