User Reviews for Keppra

Learn more about Keppra.

Keppra Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 182 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Keppra to treat Epilepsy

"Neuro recently added Keppra to my seizure med regimen. I have absence seizures & the 600mg (the recommended max) of Lamotrigine I'd been on for 16 yrs was no longer as effective. Being middle-aged & female, my seizures developed a catamenial (hormonal) aspect to them. My absences would skyrocket at certain times of the month, as many as 60/day. Been on Keppra for 2 weeks & have only had 1 absence during that time! As for the side effects: near constant irritibility, sometimes a sense of hopelessness, apathy, & mood swings. More often than not, I feel detached from the world...like I'm just watchin a movie & I'm not a part of whats going on around me. I'm weighing the trade-off: no seizures or constant crazy? Gonna give it a little more time."

DawnC714 (taken for less than 1 month) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Keppra was fine for me at first (500 mg twice a day) for 2 months. I suffer from complex partial seizures and experienced a grand mal recently. Then I experienced extreme tiredness, confusion, headaches, greatly increased my depression, could barely go from my bedroom to the living room (never mind managing leaving my house). I had to go back to my neurologist to get switched off such a horrible drug for me. Aptiom (once a day!) so far is a better choice for me."

Jeweltone (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My experience on keppra was awful . Partly responsible for me developing a state of encephalopathy. Mood was evil. I was threatening to strangers and family. I'd flip so suddenly from 0 to 100 without warning at the slightest word out of place. I'd say it's dangerous from patient perspective and would not advocate it as a nurse. Thoughts of negative actions... prolific"

Nurse patient (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Extreme rage. Angry a lot. Quick to snap at minor things. Seizures have stopped for 2 1/2 years with a price to pay. I'd just like to try something else but this is the first medication that works after trying 3 others."

Bogiebear March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I had times where I'd black out and have amnesia. Basically it would scare my parents and after the second time it happened they took me to the doctor. We went through all the test and they all came back normal except for my EEG. it came back abnormal. I was immediately put on keppra and hated every second of it. I started off with 500mg 2x a day. After the first dose I was hallucinating and very confused. The four hour mark was the worst. I was super loopy and couldn't focus for nothing. the medicine caused me to have mood swings and go into a deep depression. My advice if you have any sort of mental illness DON'T TAKE IT. I've struggled with Bulimia, Anxiety, Depression, and Bipolar disorder for years. Seizures stopped. Wasn't worth it"

Princess Pebbles March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with grandmal epilepsy in 2004, have tried alot of different medications over this period and Keppra has always been a constant during this time, with interaction with others Starting on 250mg bd & after a decade I'm now taking 1000mg bd with 100mg bd of lamotragine. The main concern is that I'm always tired" mentally and physically, having to rest quite alot & lack of appetite although I have a feeling that this is due to the combination. I recently had a Petit Mal seizure and the Neurologist advised that it was due to missing one dose of lamotragine, although Keppra by itself is a generally peaceful medication. I have been recently diagnosed with haematomachrosis, iron overload, although they've advised it's genetic."

Mr Strong (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication created the worst two years of my life. I started having seizures my sophomore year of college and am now a senior and I have been on Keppra the past two years. The doctors never explained the severe side effects that would go along with this horrible drug. I used to be always a happy kid and since I started taking Keppra I constantly dealt with mood swings, uncontrollable anger, severe depression, constant thoughts of suicide, weight gain, and hair loss! I can't believe it took me such a long time to get off of this stupid drug. The seizures never stopped either and all the doctors would do is increase my dosage every time. I'm currently at 3000mg a day and am slowly weeding myself off of this drug and going all natural."

Anonymous August 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Anger, moodiness, hopelessness, irritability, trouble making cohesive thoughts, very serious suicidal urge. Same day after first pill of 500 mg."

Concerned Citizen 40's August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

" I Ve had nothing but problems with the Keppera : constant shaking in my arms & legs & pins & needles feeling in my arms & legs severe light headedness no appetite & etc."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Good for Epilepsy but the feelings you get whilst taking them are so bad, I have a feeling in my back of burning and on the inside also as if my tummy is burning also. It is so good for fits if only on them a short while, but not so good to be taken too long. I wish my Docs would understand what they are putting me through with this drug and how I feel, but they do not understand or do not want to !! They just say "so you know better than the Doctors?". I know these drugs are doing me in and seeing Dr about them so wish me luck !! phew"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication has been an on and off solution. It used to cause a lot of keppra rage. but am on another medication that are for seizures that also help with my anger bouts."

Dhani (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed at 13 years old with grand mal seizures due to my period. Was put on Keppra 250 mg twice a day. I'm 21 now and still take it. It does control my seizures ( though I still get Aura's once in a while) and I have experienced all the side effects. My parents and friends will be the first to tell you how drastically I have changed from this medication. It makes you very irritable, tired, depressed, CRAZY mood swings and short tempered. Through the years, I've learned to handle it better. When I was 15 I stopped taking them to see if I grew it out of it, suggested by my neuro, and had 3 seizures in 3 days. Have been taking it every day ever since. Keeps me to live a normal life, like drive a car and go to school!"

Anonymous January 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"When I first started jeopardy I noticed instability with my emotions, especially anger. After a complete rage out I decided to do some research and discovered that taking a vitamin b6 supplement helps to reduce or eliminate this effect. The results were instantanious with me. If you take keppra I strongly recommend getting the b6 supplement. I take 1 in the morning with breakfast."

Blazeem October 15, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Keppra for two years and would not recommend it. Keppra greatly reduced the frequency and severity of my seizures BUT it did so at a cost. Since starting Keppra I've consistently experienced depression, anxiety, and compulsive suicidal thoughts. It has significantly impacted my quality of life in terms of mental health."

Not worth it July 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 1500mg of Keppra (generic) for partial seizures that progressed into a grand mal seizure. Immediately upon starting the meds, I noticed that things were different. I felt disconnected from myself, trouble with attention, word finding, coordination, mood, working and longterm memory. However, I was seizure free and I needed to drive so I pushed through, not enjoying my life as much and making terrible social decisions. Finally after 4 years, my neurologist is helping me wean off so that I can start a family without worry. I am down to 250mg a day and WHOA my whole life is changing. I feel centered, even, connected. I am so sad about how I was living my life on Keppra. Don't ruin your life "

JJ40 June 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was having difficulty getting diagnosed because I was not having grand mal seizures. I was, however, having about 80 simple partial seizures a month for 10 years straight. We thought maybe anxiety. Nothing was picked up on scans cause it was impossible for me to know exactly when it would happen, so it was never happening while scans were performed. Finally, 10 years later, they turned into grand mals. I started on Keppra 2 years ago and have not had a single seizure since. 3500mg daily. To go from 80 a month to NONE at all... This stuff had given me my life back. And no side effects for me!"

April S (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"No noticeable side effects. Except maybe for bowel movement."

Molly76 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken Keppra for the last 8 yrs. I take 6-500mg pills and 3-100mg pills a day. It has worked very well for me. I did have a Grand-Mal Seizure a few months back. It was the worst I ever had. They did a blood level on me and my blood level was Therapeutic, Meaning normal. It is a good medicine to take. But like any other medicine it has it's off days. I do recommend it though."

J.M.P (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having seizures for reg every 8 days or so for 55 years on many different anticonvulsants, I was given Keppra, 3000mg daily and for the last 10 years have been free from seizures with no side effects whatever. This medication has changed my life around."

Maggie w (taken for 10 years or more) August 7, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Keppra seemed to stop my seizures for my mild epilepsy however the side effects were so bad that I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. The worst side effect was suicidal depression. Prior to taking Keppra I did not suffer depression. I'm back on Epilim now."

Amyjanecunningham (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Keppra for 2 years taking 3000mg per day along with 400mg a day of Vimpat and I am still having at least 2 a week. They put in a VNS in Oct, 2013 and I am still having them. I just am having some side effects like... falling, dizziness and being ill if something is said in the wrong tone. I hope that make sense. I just get aggravated easy and I just can't get rid of my headaches."

JHodges (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 26, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had my first seizure over 3 years ago at the age of 23. Upon receiving a MRI scan I learned that I had a brain tumor called pleomorfic xantro Astro sytoma. After having it removed I was put on Keppra XR 1500mg twice a day and have been seizure free ever since. However recently I have been having new side effects appear. At first the only side effect I had was exhaustion and occasional insomnia however over the past two weeks I have had tingling sensations on my scalp and bouts of vertigo and I am very scared about what this could mean I hope everyone else is doing well."

Brandonnnnnnn (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My daughter is 4 and started having seizures 9 months ago. She has been on Keppra since then. Overall it has worked to control but not completely prevent her seizures. It has stopped them from spreading to her whole body but she still has them in her face about once a month even though her dose has been increased several times and she is now taking 7 mls twice a day. The side effects now are not as bad as when she first started this medicine. Since she has been on it however she has not had as good of an appetite and some days she wont eat at all. Her sleeping habits have been irregular as well. Some times she freaks out and starts biting anything she can. She doesn't talk so she can't tell me how she feels."

Anonymous December 21, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just had my third seizure and I was switched from Topamax to Keppra. I find that this medicine makes me hyper and then extremely tired. I am 18 years of age and I experience the depression side effect and almost all of the side effects. Really wanting to find a right balance."

Lizzeh (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Keppra for 10 months. After 45 years on Dilantin my liver was being poisoned. Dilantin worked as far as controlling seizures. Keppra has worked so far but I have insomnia and no appetite."

maceygray (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 16, 2013