User Reviews for Keppra to treat Seizures

Keppra Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Keppra

Mommy2009 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

“My 10 year old daughter began on keppra 1000mg per day to control her Rolandic epilepsy. The first four weeks were awful, she was aggressive and scary. I needed extra help to stop her attacking her siblings. HOWEVER this calmed down after 4-6 weeks and she I now back to normal. Seizure free (so far) 4 months later. Her mood is back to normal. I would encourage parents to persevere through the first few weeks as it was AWFUL but has improved immensely.”

Gene February 16, 2020

“Been on Keppra for 10?days after second seizure. Have had thoughts of suicide.”

Doobydoo · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2020

“Hey everyone at the age 48 my brother was diagnosed with epilepsy seizures at that time he almost died because nothing would stop them. After multiple seizures back to back like 20+ the only thing that would even help control them was name brand medication (Keppra)they started him out at six 500 mg daily. Many different symptoms with this I've noticed over the years so I will list a few: mood swings, anxiety, depression, memory loss of dates & time, agitated, lies. Talk to the doctor about the amount of seizures he experienced since last visit and at times gets violent. This medication still dosn't control them like it should but by taking it he at least has a chance.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 22, 2020

“Keppra makes me sleepy, so I take it before bed. Only other side effect is nightmares, with talking, flailing and swearing in my sleep. Lamictal and Topomax had worse side effects for me.”

Nessii_619 · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 29, 2019

“I was taking Xanax 10mg for severe anxiety and Ambien 10mg from suffering from insomnia after having my daughter (10yrs ago) I've never had issues with sleep, but unfortunately, anxiety runs in my family. Both stopped working for a while so I decided to take 1 ½ bars a day and 1½ of Ambien a night. One day I decided to stop taking my Xanax and had ran out of my Ambien for about a week. That's where the nightmare began! Horrible withdrawals, feeling useless, hallucinating, kept myself locked up for days then suddenly I began to have seizures and ended up admitted in the hospital about 7 different times. After trying several different anti-seizure meds, Keppra finally worked for me and haven't had a seizure since. Thank god!”

Nelly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 1, 2019

“Absolutely horrible experience. I was prescribed this after having a breakthrough seizure as part of trying new meds. On Keppra my personality changed 100%. I was despondent, hated life, had no motivation and cried at the drop of a hat. Finally, I knew it was time to go to the doctor to transition off when I hit such a low low. Also started hearing voices. Never once did such dark thoughts occur to me until this-I imagine this is what it’s like to be possessed.”

Deb · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2019

“My mom began post stroke seizures and a 1000 mg Nokia was administered in the ER. I explained she was very sensitive to meds. She as admitted and given two more doses of 500 and 750. She was so lethargic and dizzy and nauseous I asked if we could switch. They dropped the keppra cold turkey and she seized 96 straight times every eight minutes. We are back on it to properly wean her but with each dose she seizes like clockwork and has been in cardiac arrest 4x. We are between a rock and a hard place with this med but I would advise anyone to choose this med knowing side effects can be severe. She is on comfort care now.”

RJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 23, 2019

“over 2 years in now and Keppra is keeping my seizures away but the 2500mg a day has made me a different person for sure . -don’t feel excited to socialize as much. -feel fatigued a lot , can easily dose off if not doing anything that requires my attention. -old memories can bring on strong emotions that normally wouldn’t before and memory is not nearly as strong as it was , constantly setting myself reminders for things i should easily remember.”

Bole · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 14, 2019

“I’ve been on keppra for about 2 years for my seizures and the side effects are on and off. My main problems are I’m extremely short tempered, often very depressed, and most importantly this medication causes so much plaque build up in my mouth. Whenever they raise the dosage on me I have to go to the dentist once a month with issues with my gums bleeding or a tooth being on the verge of being a cavity, and I brush twice a day and floss every night before bed. My dentist was very confused why I had to keep coming in with mouth problems until I told him I was epileptic and on Keppra, my dentist told me of the oral side effects, dry mouth etc.”

Bella · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 26, 2019

“This drug does work but it also makes me very depressed.”

Guscrawl · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 24, 2019

“I have been using Keppra now for over a year. I have had no side affects from it whatsoever, maybe occassionally my short term memory is not 100% but apart from that I am amazed at it. Compared to the drugs I was taking as a child Keppra has kept me seizure free for over a year now.”

Divorce drug · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2019

“This is the most horrible medication I have ever taken. My usual personality is calm, reasonable, optimistic, positive etc. Well not with this medication. My husband and I have been married for 43 years, we have had our ups and downs but never thought of divorce. With this medication my husband stood by me. What we went through was uncontrollable everything, crying, screaming, unreasonable, and just plane hysteria. He was a saint, I on the other hand I was totally out of control and could not stop myself no matter how hard I tried.”

Timilicious · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2019

“Experienced mood swings, including increased emotionality (crying, anger, etc.); had difficulty falling asleep/restlessness (tired & wired feeling); muscle cramping and joint aches became more frequent, as well as general body fatigue & lethargy; appetite was lowered and indigestion was common; dry mouth occurred regularly; and forgetfulness, attention problems, etc. were apparent. Seizures did not continue while on the 250 mg twice a day dose, but side effects outweighed the benefits. Especially considering I could not take the full 500 mg twice a day prescribed dosage.”

John December 1, 2018

“I’ve had 2 seizures, both morning after heavy drinking. Neurologist says I have predisposition to seizures triggered by alcohol withdrawal. I was given Keppra in the ER, and then twice daily 500mg prescription to take home. Effects were generally fine, a little spacey first few days but then pretty much back to normal. Neurologist suggested I move to a 1000mg dose once a day of extended release pills. On their recommendation, I took my typical 500mg standard release in the morning, and then 1000mg (2 500mg pills) extended release dose tonight. Dear god the side effects. My whole body became jittery, I was having panic attacks, and my eyes were fluttering so much I thought I’d have another seizure at any moment. I didn’t, and after 6 terrifying hours I’m mostly back to normal. I will no longer take both pills at once as directed, and will instead spread the doses as I had been with the standard release. I’m going to continue to push my neurologist to ween me off these drugs.”

Kent · Taken for 10 years or more October 17, 2018

“I have been on this medication almost since it was introduced, being on other medications that stopped the seizures but had to have blood test every 6 months for liver function, those ones that didn't stop my seizures. Keppra has stopped all my seizure activity with little or no side effects after being on it for the first year. Occasionally I feel the emotional effects of depression, and mood swings but am able to mentally talk myself out of the negative mental state, change the emphasis of what is causing the irritability, and changing my environment ( getting out and socializing, viewing nature, what ever it takes). Overall Keppra holds my seizures from occurring, with minimal effects.”

TayorM · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 7, 2018

“I have been seizure free since 2014. It was two weeks before starting keppra that I had my last seizure so it's been three and a half years seizure free. As far as bad side effects it could possibly have given me attention and memory issues it's hard to say because I don't remember having that great of a memory to begin with but other then that it's been good. I got my license back 3 years ago as I had my second seizure at age 19 and had my license taken away so now at the age of 25 I couldn't be happier. I never look back and think I will have another but I will probably take keppra the rest of my life if it is what is helping me and my epilepsy. I also had allergic reactions to 2 types of anti epileptic medications and then was placed on a drug that wasn't helping my seizures at all so keppra was a God send”

Caretaker for Mom · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2018

“Would not recommend for elderly. Mom was sent home from hospital with this med. She became very moody and talking suicidal (never in her 90+ life). She went downhill - no longer walking, couldn’t hold herself up, and dark urine. Happened over weekend I stop the med and she began coming back up to her normal self and is now better.”

Al12345678910 December 14, 2017

“My boyfriend is 22 years old and he has never experienced seizures before and then one day at work after not eating or sleeping very well he had a seizure (I forget what kind of seizure) he was rushed to the hospital and they did scans and tried to send him home after 10 mins of leaving the hospital he had another seizure. (just to mention his dads sister has seizures and is on Dilantin) then he had a bunch of CAT scans and an EEG and nothing came back, but now he has to take keppra 4000mg a day for 3 months . He hates it he's very moody now, depressed and he was never like this before. They are going to do a stress test after the 3 months of taking keppra and see if not sleeping and eating right caused abnormal brain waves... I just want this to be over”

Hamburgers November 15, 2017

“I haven't had a seizure in over 3 years because of this drug. It has helped me so much in daily life that I can't imagine my life without it. The price is also very reasonable considering what it treats.”

Mtusa7 November 11, 2017

“I dont like using keppra at all. Since the start of using keppra, I keep on having suicidal thoughts everyday which I don't want to have. Keppra is making my life worse than ever. My mood is changing every minute. It has impacted my schoolwork so much. I have trouble remembering things and being happy. Sometimes I cry so hard and say to myself "I can't take this drug anymore". My self esteem is getting very low everyday. This drug is destroying my relationship with my friends and family. I just want to be able to tell them and my school what my feelings are and not pretend to put a mask of happiness over my face.”

madds · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 19, 2017

“Sometimes I feel drowsy, sometimes I feel dizzy, sometimes I don't. I am not sure if it is really part of the medication but I do know I don't seizure on it. Compared to the first type of medication I tried (it sent me loopy) this is a lot better, but it could also be better. -Over the years start to analyse how your head processes, how much do you remember and make sure you're not getting slowly cranky on it.”

ivetriedmanydrugs · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 29, 2017

“I had my first grand mal seizure on a boat and and then a second in the middle of class. The neurologist prescribed me 500 mgs twice a day and then eventually bumped to 750 mgs. I don't think I've had any side effects from this medication and I haven't had a seizure since I've been on it (10 months). I feel extremely terrible for everyone on this review board with these tragic stories. Yet for me I suppose my brain just accepted the chemical.”

heaal August 22, 2017

“Do not take keppa! ”

Keppra addict asswhore August 15, 2017

“When I take my dose it makes me more sleepy than usual. It's not everyday, but some days I can be sleepy after 7-9 hours when I have slept enough (approx. 7-8 hours). That's the only side effect I had up to now. So I am ok with it, I guess. Annoying with two tablets 500 mg each day, but oh well better than seizures. That's even worse. Those who had them can feel with me. :)”

Beci-023 June 28, 2017

“I think the definition of hell was the 4 weeks I was on this medication. Every single day I was constantly in a state of panic. If you've had temporal lobe seizures you may know what I'm referring to; the brief state of panic that occurs when a seizure is coming about. I was in that state of panic ALL day. I was in high school at the time and had to stay home nearly every single day. The neurologist tried adding an antidepressant, a xanax, and nothing would calm it down. When my hair began falling out at an alarming rate that was the final straw for me. I had to DEMAND to be switched to something else. I take lamotrigine now and it has completely turned around. My hair finally stopped falling out about 2 months after I quit the keppra.”