User Reviews for Keppra

Learn more about Keppra.

Keppra Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 98 medications used in the treatment of Seizures.

Reviews for Keppra to treat Seizures

"I have had epilepsy all my life. I am 48 and been on Dilantin all my life except for the last 5 months. About 5 months ago I had a grand mal seizure and my family dr. wanted me to see a neurologist since I haven't seen one for awhile. Well after seeing my neurologist she changed my medication to Kappa. I really hate this drug. I would maybe have a few to maybe 4 to 5 seizures a yr. that I could feel coming on, now I have had to many to count in the last 5 months than I have had since I was on Dilantin. All the seizures I have had since I have been on Kappra I have not felt coming on, I am very moody, I feel like crap all the time and over all I hate my life. I just want to get back to myself and go back to work but right now I cant."

CJ Taylor (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2016

"So on the 30th of July 2016 I turned 28 my birthday I didn't go crazy and party I spent the day with my kiddies an mum, that night was pored a glass of wine had a sip but wasn't feelin up to it so didn't. The next day on the 31st I woke up with a real sore head felt like I had the worse hangover ever even tho I hadn't actually drunk I felt awful but decided to go in to town anyway with mum, kids an my bestie for a little lunch an shoppin was then shoppin an had 4 grand mal seizures, woke up in hospital with a massive black eye and broken nose with not a clue what was going on, my mum an partner cryin tellin me I had just a scan an they found a tumour So they put me on keppra it's bad I have loads of side effects I feel like I'm going crazy"

Kayleigh's August 31, 2016

"I havery epilepsy since I was a baby. I take Lamictal and Keppra. Last year I had a grand mal seizure. Went to the hospital and everything. I saw my neurologist and she put me on Lamictal XR and Keppra XR. Ever since then I'm having a lot of side effects. I have atleast 10 of them from both Lamictal and Keppra. Having problems from both. My neurologist does not care about the side effects. I'm scared to go outside a lot. I'm moody every day, sleep during the day, insomnia, diarrhea, constipation, etc, it is annoying. I want to be off of thsee pills and want a better life. I rather take something else."

Sam415 (taken for 10 years or more) July 2, 2016

"All depends on the individual I actually found that Keppra made my seizures WORSE. I started taking Keppra and was fine for 2 years with no side affects, no seizures, nothing, then 1 day I had a massive grand Mal seizure the doctors keep upping my dose. Now I am on the maximum dose but still having seizures. Before I took Keppra I had only a few fits in my life now I have them about once every couple of weeks."

Susannaeleven June 23, 2016

"I was prescribed Keppra 5/3/16 after a Grand Mal at work and an abnormal EEG. I had been having absence seizures for many years, this was my first major. I am having some pretty bad side effects including dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, anger, agitation, and depression. It is tough because I am a single mom and have to work but I go to work and just sit there because I can't concentrate and don't feel like moving. I am still only taking 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening. I was directed to move to 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening after 3 days but I just don't feel like I can handle it. I feel so hopeless and hope that the side effects will subside"

topsoil May 13, 2016

"Within a week suffered suicidal thoughts psychosis hallucinations rages and self harming acts!"

Keppra Sensitive (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"Our daughter was diagnosed 7 yrs ago and is now10 . She has tonic clonic and partial seizures sometimes out to 15 in one day bless her . We've tried epilim which was great for about 4 yrs the they crept back up so we tried tegratol and lamotragine together. They didn't work at all , so now she's on keppra. After just 3 days she had fits and was very happy girl . ( she has severe developmental delay) so it is hard to judge how she is feeling , but now she isn't eating and seems very very aggressive, we don't know what to do for the best?!?!?!?!"

Nessquick (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

"I love this stuff, once we got the seizures under control with correct dose for me, I have had NO side effects, and my headaches stopped"

Penny Coleman 37 April 12, 2016

"My 11 year old son was given Keppra due to a dual concussion that lead to seizures in 4/2010. He hated the way it made him feel. His neurologist put him on extended release Keppra which cause him to loose 30 pounds within a 3 month span. He was rushed to the hospital due to high sugar - 564 dl. In ICU, he was given Keppra at night, during his sleep, his heart rate would slow down to 50 and set off the heart monitors all night. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with his heart after running numerous test. The medication compromised his system, caused Type 1 diabetes and triggered irregular heart beats. I weened him off Keppra against doctors wishes 10/2010. He has had no seizures since, but still has Type I, he is 17 yrs ."

Rebecca Smyser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2016

"I've been on every seizure medication invented. Keppera or genetic Levatiraacetam is by far the worst one I've been on. The side effects have ruined my life. I gained over 45 pounds the first year on it. I am now almost 70 pounds heavier than I was before I started taking the medication. I can't work anymore because I have severe depression, anxiety & insomnia. I tell people off for the craziest things & am super paranoid all the time. Despite the that I take antidepressants, anxiety & sleeping meds. I used to be a terrific nurse, winning awards & receiving all kinds of gratitude. Now I can no longer do anything. I am terrified to leave the house, take a shower, clean or go anywhere. I have no life, I just exist. Can't wait to get off this!"

Jenna C. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

"My brother had a tumor 15 yrs ago removed after having a seizure. Takes 1000mg keppra a day. He has mood swings, diarrea if he does eat b4 so, and delusional. Still effective. I started having anxiety attacks n seizures at 24yrs of age. Neurologist perscribed me keppra 500mg daily and 2mg xanax a day when needed, usually I break xanax into pieces as u can because they have little bars to do so. I don't have any side effects besides feeling sleepy at the end of the day. I don't take xanax til after work at the end of the day as xanax does makes me sleepy. Keppra deserves 10 for me. But my brother rates it 7. Every one is different. I know this is for keppra but XANAX is not for anyone a lot of people can't handle the drug and can't control themselves let doc determine."

RyanB (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

"After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

"I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

"I have jerky events that have not technically been epilepsy, but it runs throughout my mom's side of the family and I have just started keppra at 2000mg a day. I have been on topamax for a couple years now and my doc added keppra in conjunction with 300mg topamax a day, since only 400mg of topamax a day was not working and the side effects of memory loss and painful pins/needles were too awful to deal with. Keppra so far has only made me feel a zonked and not too hungry, but my memory is coming back which I am happy about. I also have not had event. I am sure the zombieness will wear off with some time."

Anonymous January 18, 2016

"Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

"My last seizure was less than a month before starting keppra. I was having very bad seizures on and off for 3 years and the only thing coming up in scans done on my brain was a bit of slowing on the left side. I had tried other anti epileptic medications that weren't working and my neurologist recommended I start using keppra which was newer to the market at the time. I've been seizure free for over a year and I couldn't be happier. I got my license back a few months ago and have returned to living normally"

taymon (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2016

"Stopped seizures, caused strange behavior and severe depression."

Eli Manning January 9, 2016

"I had my first seizure in 04/04/14 whilst driving and they found that I had epilepsy. The neurologist put me on keppra. It is by far the best drug I've had to take. Initially it was a pain as I was always angry, depressed because I lost my Driving Licence and tired all the time. All I wanted to do was sleep. However, once it took this medication after 6 months, the side effects wore off and I was getting back to my old self again. Happy and all that. I once forgot to take my tablets for 2 days. I had a seizure. Biggest mistake I've made. I always remember to take my tablets now. I'm fit free now. Please take your tablets. They do help."

Ronakm1987 December 16, 2015

"I had my first seizure February 2014 and was prescribed Keppra. I took it for a while and experienced all the symptoms as everyone else: depression, fatigue, mood swings, hallucinations, etc. You name it I had it. I had no energy and all I could do was sleep. I got tired of living like that and one day decided to stop taking them, bad move. It was fine for 4 days, I was energized and happy but on that day I had another seizure. I told my doctor and he changed my prescription to Trileptal. I have been on it since that day and the only side effect I think I have would be hair thinning."

Dia Mond (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

"I am 16, I have had Juvenille Myoclonic Epilepsy for almost 2 years now and have been on keppra ever since. I experienced some weight loss, extreme depression, hallucinations, and memory loss. I've only had one other grand mal seizure while on this and I do not jerk anymore. Though it works I wish I felt alive and awake during normal daily tasks. If you can seek other medications for physiological and behavioral reasons, I suggest it."

JME girl November 1, 2015

"Will keppra help you come out of a seizure?!?"

Jennie23 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

"Made me more aggressive lost nearly 50% of my friends on facebook while on this. Caused me to lose contact with several family members after they saw my anger from being on this. Product should be off the market!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2015

"My fiance (22 yrs old, 130 lbs) has been on Keppra combined with Vimpat for over a year and he has had very bad mood swings, weight loss, anxiety, feelings of hopelessness, depression, and irritability/quick temper. We are trying to find out if there is another medication he can take in combination with these to help combat the side effects, or if someone has found another med that works as well with less severe side effects, seeing this is the only med that has helped his seizures so far (diagnosed at 17) Anyone else with a similar problem, or know what might help?"

Nkap (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2015

"I have all side effects and I have to talk to my doctor about taking it . I take 1000mg twice a day. It's crazy. I hate having to take this."

Nikkie4420gmail.com (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 6, 2015

"I was on decadron and vimpat (Lacosamide, another anticonvulsant), and I'm pretty sure the vimpat was compounding the side effects of the decadron (mood swings, weight gain, blood sugar issues ('m also diabetic).Plus, I was still having seizures, especially whed I tried to work out (mostly running, but sometimes on an elliptical machine. I asked to be put back on the keppra I had taken for 6 months prior to being moved to the vimpat. I've been able to run again, and am having fewer seizures (although had one this morning after doing the ADA diabetes step out 23 mile walk and sprinting the last half mile to get to a restroom. I definitely feel like the keppra is more effective against seizures, still, and doesn't compound the side-effects "

TonyB1969 October 3, 2015