Generic name: Levetiracetam Oral Solution [ lee-va-tye-RA-se-tam ]
Brand name: Keppra
Drug class: Pyrrolidine anticonvulsants
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 9, 2023.
Uses of Levetiracetam Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat seizures.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
- If you are allergic to levetiracetam oral solution; any part of levetiracetam oral solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have kidney disease or are on dialysis.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with levetiracetam oral solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take levetiracetam oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take levetiracetam oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how levetiracetam oral solution affects you.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not stop taking levetiracetam oral solution all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of seizures. If you need to stop this drug, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- A very bad reaction called angioedema has happened with levetiracetam oral solution. Sometimes, this may be life-threatening. Signs may include swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, tongue, or throat; trouble breathing; trouble swallowing; or unusual hoarseness. Get medical help right away if you have any of these signs.
- If you are 65 or older, use levetiracetam oral solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Children younger than 4 years old will need to have their blood pressure checked often. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
- This medicine may not work as well during pregnancy. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Levetiracetam Oral Solution) best taken?
Use levetiracetam oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking levetiracetam oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take levetiracetam oral solution at the same time of day.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with levetiracetam oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure levetiracetam oral solution.
- Do not use a household teaspoon or tablespoon to measure levetiracetam oral solution. Doing so could lead to the dose being too high.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- If seizures are worse or not the same after starting levetiracetam oral solution.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in balance.
- Trouble walking.
- Patients who take levetiracetam oral solution may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Low blood cell counts have happened with levetiracetam oral solution. If blood cell counts get very low, this can lead to bleeding problems, infections, or anemia. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of infection like fever, chills, or sore throat; any unexplained bruising or bleeding; or if you feel very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Feeling dizzy, sleepy, tired, or weak.
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not hungry.
- Flu-like signs.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from heat and light.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time levetiracetam oral solution is refilled. If you have any questions about levetiracetam oral solution, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about levetiracetam
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (416)
- Drug images
- Latest FDA alerts (4)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- Patient tips
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: pyrrolidine anticonvulsants
- En español
- Drug Information
- Levetiracetam (Intravenous) (Advanced Reading)
- Levetiracetam (Oral) (Advanced Reading)
- Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets
- Levetiracetam Tablets
- Levetiracetam Injection
Keppra, Keppra XR, Spritam, Elepsia XR, ... +2 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.