Generic Name: Levetiracetam Oral Solution (LEE ve tye RA se tam)
Brand Name: Keppra
Uses of Levetiracetam Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat seizures.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to levetiracetam or any other part of levetiracetam oral solution.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have kidney problems or are on dialysis. Some brands of levetiracetam oral solution are not to be used in people who have kidney problems.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with levetiracetam oral solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take levetiracetam oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take levetiracetam oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how levetiracetam oral solution affects you.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not stop taking levetiracetam oral solution all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of seizures. If you need to stop this drug, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- This medicine may cause behavior changes and mental or mood problems. Talk with the doctor.
- A very bad reaction called angioedema has happened with levetiracetam oral solution. Sometimes, this may be life-threatening. Signs may include swelling of the hands, face, lips, eyes, tongue, or throat; trouble breathing; trouble swallowing; or unusual hoarseness. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use levetiracetam oral solution with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Children younger than 4 years old will need to have their blood pressure checked often. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using levetiracetam oral solution while you are pregnant.
- This medicine may not work as well during pregnancy. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Levetiracetam Oral Solution) best taken?
Use levetiracetam oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking levetiracetam oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Take levetiracetam oral solution at the same time of day.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with levetiracetam oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure levetiracetam oral solution.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- If seizures are worse or not the same after starting levetiracetam oral solution.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in balance.
- Trouble walking.
- Feeling very sleepy.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Very bad headache.
- Patients who take levetiracetam oral solution may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Feeling sleepy.
- Stuffy nose.
- Nose and throat irritation.
- Belly pain.
- Not able to sleep.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Not hungry.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Levetiracetam Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time levetiracetam oral solution is refilled. If you have any questions about levetiracetam oral solution, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take levetiracetam oral solution or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about levetiracetam oral solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to levetiracetam oral solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using levetiracetam oral solution.
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about levetiracetam
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 257 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: pyrrolidine anticonvulsants
- Levetiracetam Extended-Release Tablets (Keppra XR)
- Levetiracetam Oral-Disintegrating Tablets/Tablets for Oral Suspension
- Levetiracetam Tablets
- Levetiracetam Injection
- ... +2 more