User Reviews for Levetiracetam to treat Epilepsy

Also known as: Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Roweepra XR, Elepsia XR, Spritam

Levetiracetam Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 194 medications used in the treatment of Epilepsy.

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 17, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I have been on Keppra for 5 years along with lamictal at first didn't realize any side effects of Keppra but once I got taken off lamictal the side affects appeared, didn't feel like myself. Became very depressed irritable and anxiety through the roof. Would get intrusive thoughts and found out from my new neurologist that it's all from the medication KEPPRA.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 29, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “My 16 yr old daughter has been on this medicine for a little over a year now and since starting it, has not had another grand mal seizure. The side effects that she got when first starting have decreased significantly or are gone completely. Prior to starting this medicine, she had 2 grand mal seizures and was subsequently diagnosed via EEG with epilepsy. Since she has been seizure free since starting this medicine I can only say that it does what it is intended to do......cease seizures. So I give it a definite thumbs up!”

Chehebsb · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 16, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I was diagnosed GEFs (a type of epilepsy Genetic epilepsy with febrile seizures) few months after I was born. My seizures occurs very rarely (one in 5 years' time). However, till the age of 10 my seizures were at the times I had fever. However I have never taken any medicine. At the age of 15 I had 2 seizures in one month's period and in both cases I had menstrual cycle. After that the neurologist prescribed me Keppra of 500g twice a day. Apart from tiredness I had no problem till the age of 19. I began to have diarrhea even 7 times a day and I had any sort of medical analysis. The last option was the medicine: my neurologist only after several times understood this and changed medicine. Now I take matecer (750 a day) and no problem till now.”

Not Nice Drug Boy June 9, 2020

“I've been on Levetiracetam for about 6 years now and it's controlled my seizures which started when I was 22 years old. The depression, anger, mood swings and general numbness are too much. I've lost friends and nearly lost a partner. I never used to get panic attacks and now I do. I mistake them for Auras sometimes which just heightens the sense of dread. Occasionally I accidentally miss a dose and wonder why I feel so happy that day, then it hits me... I feel like reading these reviews has helped me to come to a decision to change, so thanks everyone. That being said I'm sure this could work for some people, so don't be scared of it as a medication, just be aware that if your mood changes or you start feeling depressed that it's not just you turning in to an awful person and could be the medication. Also I'm in the UK, so NHS will change my meds for free no qualms. ”

CB June 9, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I have been on leviteracetam (Keppra) for almost 6 years now before that I was on sodium valporate. In the beginning it caused me confusion, slowmo kind of feeling, mood swings and a typical pressure inside my head. But after 2-3 months the effects started to fade away. And about cognitive ability, I didn't find any change, I sailed through tough competitive exam and achieved my goal. I am more confidant right now, and when I get stress or anxiety I do breathing exercise and it helps a lot. So its not bad for everyone I guess. Stay happy.”

Jimmy John Jones · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 5, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Been taking keppra the whole time I've had epilepsy which will be six years come next Christmas Eve. It will make you irritable the first few weeks, but that passes. I have one grand mal seizure once every three months. It's an alright drug if your epilepsy isn't a "I have one every hour" type thing. (: Good luck!”

OwenD · Taken for 10 years or more May 30, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I have been on Keppra for 12 years and at first it improved my seizures, been epileptic for 29 years. However side effects are brutal. The lack of sleep affects my day to day life the depression and panic attacks are awful and the rage can be horrendous. Generally I’m a calm person, I meditate daily and have to to keep from screaming at everything. It’s like always being at your worst and there are days you question your own sanity or the point of carrying on. I am trying to convince my neurologists to find an alternative to this awful tablet as I’m now at the point where I have panic attacks even leaving my bedroom, my vision is constantly blurred and flickering and it feels like I have a CONSTANT aura as I get pre seizure. I’m lucky enough to have not had the suicidal thoughts but even without them I can sympathise with those who do as it may well seem the only way out.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I would give it zero stars if I could. I lost 4 years of my life because of Keppra. Did not help my seizures, I almost killed myself 3 different times, I had personality disorder, extreme anxiety & paranoia, anxiety attacks daily if not more than once a day. Anger, rage, I was a completely different person. The same thing happened to two other people I know that were on this drug as well. And the withdrawal seizures have been HORRIBLE and have almost gone into status epilepticus twice. But I am so thankful I found LAMICTAL. All of the Keppra symptoms are now gone, and it actually helps me be happy and joyful.”

Pb · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 15, 2020

“Hi! I'm 22 years old. Had brain haemorrage at the age of 19, later had an open head surgery for avm at 20.. been taking levipill 500mg twice a day since then. Thankfully I had no seizures or epilepsy till date but the side effects are worse. I have horrible mood swings, agitation, lack of finding words to speak, zoned out, not able to socialise with anyone even family, prefer being alone, irritability, can't control emotions, crying a lot, suicidal thoughts. What I would easily sweep under the carpet, those things outrage me now. Really wanna share my feelings, I'm not this, but idk why I can't. Wanna get rid of this asap..but the doc says I need to take this lifelong to avoid seizures. Can't get worse!!”

Lou · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 23, 2020

“I have been taking 3000mg daily for several months now. I have every side effect possible that I need a Carer as I cannot manage daily living. This is my fourth brand of AED in 6 months as the side effects are so terrible. I have had epilepsy for 42 yrs and only since being on AEDs that I have been this bad. Trial and error til I find what works best as I have other health conditions which limits the choices of meds”

Momof4 · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 17, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Son was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy at 12 years old after 2 tonic-clonic seizures. He was given 250mg keppra twice a day. He had a 3rd breakthrough seizure after forgetting to take 2 doses. After that he was seizure free for three years, including a trip from USA to Europe. Dr. recommended weaning process after normal EEG, which we followed to a T. He relapsed and had a tonic clonic seizure and is back on keppra, 500mg twice a day. He has a reminder to take it at 8am and PM and that helps moderate side effects. His side effects are mostly sleepiness, emotional swings, but being physically active helps a lot. We are hoping keppra works as well the second time around as it did the first.”

Frank · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 11, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Have been taking Keppra for more than 2 years now and I have never noticed a problem when using. It has completely stopped all of my seizures and gives me no side effects, on top of that, it is a water-soluble drug meaning that I just urinate it out leaving no way for it to do any damage to me. Currently I am on 1500 mg a day or XR medication. On the first time it was prescribed, I never took it for the sole reason that there were so many side effects listed. I had seizures because of my actions. After taking it, I never had a seizure since and feel better than ever. I recommend use of this medication if prescribed!!”

BelleDonna · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Keppra not only increased my seizures from 3 a year to 5-7 grand mals a week but also kept me conscious during them so that I was able to feel every excruciating moment. Normally the human brain blacks out during a seizure. Thanks to this drug, I was able to feel and remember my muscles tightening and fighting against each other, my head trying to hit again the floor and my legs and arms trying to kick and beat the air. As soon as I was able I switched doctors and medication. This needs to be pulled from the shelves!!!!!!”

Forgetful · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2020

“I suffered from delirium from this medication levetiracetam. I didn't even remember my own name. I was in the hospital for a week and they said if I didn't come out of it within 5 days I would never come out of it. I came out on the 5th day.”

Becky · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Been on this med for a month it’s absolutely a life saver I had been on trileptal and had increasing seizures even in my sleep this med had stopped them completely as well as provided me with the sleep I haven’t had in years not one side effects whatsoever!!! I’m sticking to them 500mgx 2 tab twice a day”

B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 3, 2020

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Worst drug ever in my opinion!!! Here were my side effects- irritability, paranoia, anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite, numbness and tingling in my arms and legs, it would make my aura seizures come more often than they normally would without medication, felt dizzy and light headed, which would worsen during an aura seizure. Made me get aura seizures when I was still asleep and it would wake me up! Made me feel suicidal also. I took the medication for about six months and have had more than enough of it. Was tired each day I could barely get up to do normal things, even to cook. I decided to wean off myself, I decreased dose to half a tablet in morning, hoping it would stop at the very least my aura seizures in my sleep, but it didn’t help. I then thought after a few months- enough is enough. After taking half a tablet in morning for few months I stopped taking it completely. Never felt better. Wouldn’t go back on it if my life depended on it.”

precious moments · Taken for 10 years or more December 15, 2019

“Have been on levetiracetam for around 20 years...currently have been completely seizure free for 15+ years...nothing before was able to give me complete control of my epilepsy like this.”

Snoopy · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 8, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Nothing out of ordinary. 3 years now on Keppra for epilipsy at a dose less than I'm supposed to be taking since we can't afford it at dosage. 750mg once a day seems to work. 1 aura that didn't go to seizure. No side effects...I'm always angry.”

Lystelle · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 5, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Been taking keppra 500mg 2x daily and have had a few issues with depression etc. But overall a great med.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 26, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “This medication has caused me to lose 3 months of my memory which was never regained. Why is it also on a recall list and being prescribed?”

carolinus · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I was tried on Keppra for a short period as a possible substitute for Dilantin, with the results that; it did control my seizures, but after just two weeks, to borrow from the prescribing information it produced "hostile and aggressive behavior" over even the slightest thing. That was the first time. The second time that I was tried on Keppra, I spent a year on probation for assault. You can guess my opinion It works well for some people, but I fear it's not as safe as the UCB and the FDA claim.”

Anonymous September 17, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “I have been taking 200 mg of keppra twice a day after my second seizure which was 4 months ago. For the first month roughly I had constant mood swings and almost no appetite. It wasn't uncommon for me to randomly start feeling depressed and those phases could last up to multiple days on end. I would also have random anger that seemingly came from no where to the point where I would start fights with my family over the dumbest things. Even after that first month which is supposed to be when your body gets used to the drug I continually had mood swings and random depression. Although it has stopped me from seizing I highly do not recommend”

Cal · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “Stopped my tonic-clonic seizures.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 30, 2019

“Horrible experience on this drug, yes it works to stop seizures but I don’t think that outweighs the cons of having mood swings, anger, depression, anxiety, and really dark thoughts that could put me in prison. And it also makes you lose your friends and family due to these side effects.”

PearKing · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2019

Keppra (levetiracetam): “It wasn’t what you would call a fun experience. It was the first of 14 medications I was placed on and I was only on it for two days. They took me off because of how excessively severe the keppra side effects were”

Learn more about Epilepsy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)