User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Trileptal, Oxtellar XR

Oxcarbazepine has an average rating of 7.5 out of 10 from a total of 6 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 67% of those users who reviewed Oxcarbazepine reported a positive effect, while 17% reported a negative effect.

Oxcarbazepine Rating Summary

7.5/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

M · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2021

“I just started oxcarbazepine about 4 days ago and I've gained 11 pounds in that time. I asked for a drug that doesn't cause weight gain and here I am 11lbs later. I feel much calmer and haven't been having intense rage but I've also been super dizzy and have a really bad headache about an hour after popping the medicine. I was really excited to try it from all the positive reviews but different medicines work differently with everyone. Pls don't let this review scare you off of trying it but just be mindful and do your own research before taking on a new medication.”

Xllxmx · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2021

“Been on oxcarbazepine for almost 2 months and I have noticed a great improvement in irritability and emotional stability! Calms me down and helps me think before I react. The only side effects I experience is tiredness after taking it and occasional dizziness. Overall helps a lot!!”

alex July 14, 2019

“I LOVED Trileptal. It was my ride or die. My irritability, stubbornness/nitpicking, and anger were reduced to almost 0; my interpersonal relationships became healthier and I was overall not a pessimistic, moody, grouchy, insufferable Grinch anymore. No other medication had ever done that; I've always suffered terribly from my own irrational anger and anxiety. The only downside was not being able to enjoy a drink while out with friends, but I only socially drink, and even that's rare. It made me extremely sleepy (I took that as a good sign; that's what made me mellow out) so I suggest anyone else take it at night right before bed, and it'll probably even help you sleep. The only -- and I mean only -- reason I went off was because the form of birth control I wanted to get (Nexplanon implant) interferes with oxcarbazepine and other anticonvulsants. Definitely recommend for others, though.”

Rhondalynn03 December 18, 2015

“I have been on many medications over the past 10 years. I have tried (unsuccessfully) nearly all of them. This medication, in particular, has literally saved my life! It stabilizes my mood like ni other!”

CaseyPT February 10, 2016

“Just started 200mg for borderline personality disorder and anxiety. Sleepy all the time, but fell calm. Only problem is this weird dream-wake derealization state I've been in. Maybe I'm just too tired to get angry or feel rage. Maybe I'm just too tired to worry a lot. For temporary use, I give it a thumbs up if you have a few days to just rest and give your head a break. For everyday use as directed? I don't know. I can't imagine having to work and socialize like this. I also take lexapro, ativan, and Seroquel.”

Kat77127 January 13, 2017

“I took Trileptal for nearly six months. The first thing I noticed with it is that I was always "up". I was really happy and I lost a bit of weight and the psychiatrist upped my dose a bit and then I was really really manic. My mania works to wherer I don't sleep because I'm constantly planning things down to teeny tiny details, and writing. It was fun for a little bit. It felt great. But then I was hit with the overwhelming sense that I wasn't actually happy, the drug was forcing me to be like that. Also, the lack of sleep caught up with me and I started hallucinating. I told my psychiatrist, who prescribed me sedatives. It became a cycle of wake up with this one, and use this one to fall asleep. Overall I liked it, but then I got pregnant.”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder