User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Also known as: Oxtellar XR, Trileptal

Learn more about Oxcarbazepine.

Oxcarbazepine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I am having problems urinating! I am experiencing confusion which is embarrassing as a teacher. Sometimes I feel my bottom lip tremble."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Tried a few mood stabilizers this year. Lamictal made me severely agitated and couldn't sleep a wink. Zyprexa turned me into the Cookie Monster and made me put on weight very fast. Put on this and have had great results. I don't get upset like I used to, and the racing thoughts have diminished greatly along with the anxiety."

Anonymous December 20, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This drug has helped me so much, I used to be on a low dose benzo and an antidepressant and I felt terrible all the time, I had many racing thoughts about hurting myself and dying, I couldn't control myself at all when I felt anxious or too happy, which came followed by depression, but when my doctor replaced my benzo with this, the intrusive thoughts stopped. I got ocasional headache and dizziness (these are the only side effects i got) at first, but the side effects have gone away now after a couple months. I can finally function normally without terrible mood swings that ruin everything. I take 600 mg a day, 300 at morning and 300 at night."

Anonymous December 11, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was diagnosed w/ bipolar 1 at age 25. My main problems are rapid cycling and manic episodes. Though I feel I have received good medical treatment these past ten years (though not the first 15), when I had to stop taking lithium due to kidney problems, I began to lose hope that I would ever feel well (even for brief periods of time) again. I am now taking trileptal as a monotherapy, and I feel the best I ever remember feeling. My mind is finally quiet. I am happy when I wake up in the morning. I sleep soundly. You are in this for the long haul whether you like it or not, guys. Find a GOOD doctor and try this. It may take a little time to get the dosage and timing correct, but it is worth the effort. (No weight gain, either.)"

25 years (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was put on this drug when I was diagnosed with bipolar and it has made such a difference. No more racing mind, just calm and normal feeling. We worked to get the correct dosage and now I feel terrific."

Your nickname December 1, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with bipolar 14 years ago. The first medicine they gave me was depakote which made my hair fall out. Then they put me on lithium which I have been on for 14 years and whenever I would try to go off it I would get manic really bad so I have had to stay on it. Well I recently weaned myself off lithium due to weight gain and hair thinning out. My doctor then prescribed trilyptal. I have been on it for two days and I already feel 100 percent better. I feel stabilized and in a very very good mood. It's like a happy pill so far. I am very happy."

Bipolar Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I had been on generic trileptal for years it worked great for mood stabilization . No weight gain or major side effects until I received a different generic version then my iodine levels were terribly low and I lost a ton of weight and felt awful . My dermatologist discovered this because my primary care Dr ran tests and couldn't figure this out. Years later I'm back on trileptal 900mg , my mood is great yet now I'm having hair loss . My hair is thin all ready . I'm done with this medicine. It's unfortunate because it works well for moods . Hair loss will defiantly have me depressed . Not worth it."

Auntybop (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Helped a lot with depression and mood swings"

AshleyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Lithium put me in the hospital for a month. I was on a respiratory tube 10 days and in a coma for 2. It really worked before this stay. I was also in renal for 10 days. Once I was released my doc tried Trileptal with an anti-anxiety med and I have been episode-free for almost 3 years. Lithium is great but have your blood levels checked VERY frequently. If you're having trouble with other medz, please consider giving this a try. I feel like a different person!"

BipoGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been on Trileptal for about 5 years know and I feel a lot better then I did before I was on like 3 or 4 other medications before hand and I kept telling my doctor they werent working so finally I switched to a different Dr who actually listened and he put me on the Trileptal I don't have any episode or any thing since being on this medication I take 600 MG 2 daily and let me tell you I feel so great and wonderful I would recommend this medicine to anone to take"

Wilhelmena May 24, 2016

39 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This medicine is a godsend. I was previously taking Depakote & Seroquel & got so sick & tired of my previous dr not listening to my concern of feeling like a zombie all day & trying to nod off during the day. Once I changed dr's, my current dr heard my concerns & introduced me to Trileptal. By far this is the BEST I've been doing since my correct diagnosis in 2009! I couldn't be happier w/my current progress, both not feeling like a zombie, but now also being able to thoroughly enjoy life with my first child I had in Oct 2015. I feel both the most leveled out I've felt in quite some time, but also without the awful effect of feeling 'drugged up' per say & actually feel regular human emotion, haha. I'd totally recommend this script!"

Batgirl85 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Extreme anxiety, exhausted"

Georgiaray (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been on many different medications for my bipolar for the last 8 years, and have been on Trileptal for 9 months. This is the best mood stabilizer I have ever been on. With this in my treatment regimen, along with some other good meds (celexa, prolixin) I am the most stable I have been in my life. It also has minimal side effects. It has a nice calming effect without being sedating or causing cognitive impairment, and it doesn't increase appetite for me like so many similar meds do. I started on 300 mg twice a day and about two months ago had to be increased to 600 mg twice a day. I did experience about a week or so of dizziness when first starting this medicine and when increasing the dose, however no side effects now."

Penguin88 April 27, 2016

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine): "This is a cleaner way of taking trileptal, it really does make both medication management and the side effects easier to manage. On generic trilepetal I needed to medicate twice daily & the morning dose really put me in a fog, not to mention how intense the headaches could get about 30 minutes after my 3x evening dose. Now the headaches still come but are far less intense & the onset is hours later. Also, the lethargy factor is greatly reduced, I take 900 mg. @ 6 PM & I'm ready for bed at 10:30, not focused on getting to my pillow all night like I was previously. This medication does interfere with my ability to urinate within 2 hours of taking it. As for the positives, I'm a rapid-cycler & days are most certainly more stable. Give it time"

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I finally am able to live without so much fear and anger. I've been struggling a long time with finding the right meds. And I'm not fond of waiting 4-6 weeks for a therapeutic level. Not with this med. It works fast and it really calms me down..ALOT. Never thought I could be so passive. The only thing is my doctor started me with 300 mg a day...was not working for me..so I did my own research..and that was a little low for an adult..so I started taking 600 mg a day..perfect..perfect. I had my doctor change my mg. My goodness..a miracle drug..I am a different person on this med..no manic episodes.I even talk different..not loud and all over the place..my mind doesn't race. Thanks Trileptal!"

33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

53 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was on Trileptal for less than 6 months because I was having trouble affording it at the time. What I can say is it helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. Overall, I think this is a good medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I took Trileptal from Feb 2015 to Dec 2015 - now weaning off it to lithium. I LOVED the way Trileptal handled my bipolar depression. I felt alert, alive, just really great. Unfortunately, a fall in August alerted my doctor to my bones being weakened. Also, I have optic neuritis in my left eye starting in July. Between those two side effects, we've decided to taper off the trileptal and return to lithium. I'm sad to stop it but the soft bones and eye issues are too great a problem to continue it."

cms13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2015

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been on Triliptal for a few years and it helps a lot. Did see that it has a pain relieving effect, big time. It decreases anxiety, helps with sleep, mellows me out and at times I can't feel like my legs which is amusing since I realize this med. has a big effect on decreasing nerve pain, muscle pain ..... any pain? So, now onto the side effects: Low sodium, decreased heart rate (for me anyway) I also can't remember things, and when I read -- well that doesn't work out too well, but I try. I can't remember what I read. I space out a lot. I also don't feel like eating. I used to take Tegretol and that was awful, so I am pleased with this med. I take 1200 mg per day. It is hard with the 600 mg in the morning (I want to sleep)"

Yukongirl December 27, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Gabapentin was a life saving drug In regards to getting my bipolar under control. Before then, I had taken just about everything there was out there for bipolar, some would work, short lived, others I would not work at all. I was so angry all the time, for no apparent reason, and Lord forbid someone say something to me that upset me, I'd bite their head right off and say mean, hurting words to those that I love. Finally, I was stable, no roller coaster moods, anger or rage. The medication also calmed my severe anxiety and I was able to get off of xanax, which I had to have or I'd be a nervous, shaking, tremor in wreck, all day everyday !!! I might also add, that my severe depression was lifted, finally, I feel alive,well, and stable again."

kimmurdaugh (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I've been on a lot of mood medicines and this is one of the best medicines yet... although it makes my eyes really blurry! Will be getting a new pair of glasses soon!"

glassesgirl82 November 11, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been on Trileptal generic for 5 years. I highly recommend this drug. I've experienced no side effects. It's really a life savor!"

Love yourself November 1, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Only take brand-name Trileptal. Use of generic, oxcarbazepine resulted in stomach distress - gastritis"

Anonymous October 24, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I've been on generic Oxcarbazepine, 600 mg 3X day for years and it wasn't quite enough, alone, to control my Bipolar Disorder, but taken along with Lithium, seems to have finally been the combo I needed to bring me back to reality with stable mood, although it does make me very sleepy. I was crying every day and alternatingly unreasonably angry for years and years, going undiagnosed for decades. Bipolar runs rampant in my family, so I don't know why I didn't realize THAT was my issue, too! Just never put it together after watching my brother and sister's crazy rages, since mine was so different than that! Derp!"

Vastra S. September 20, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have used it along with Trileptal and it has really helped as a mood stabilizer especially the manic stage. The bad part of taking it is when my doctor did not increased the Oxtallar XR & took me off the Trileptal all together I had a relapsed and was crying everyday. I am back on the Trileptal and my doctor is going to increase my Oxtellar XR 3 times a day and taper me off of Trileptal slowly because my sodium levels are a bit high. But other than that no complaints."

theslink25 September 12, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Diagnosed Bipolar I in 1997. I went through many combinations of medications since that time. I've been hospitalized 7 times and had massive amounts of ECT treatments. I was started on Trileptal in 2002 and always had two or more medications in conjunction with the Trileptal. I would definitely recommend it BUT watch your sodium levels and know there is a time limit for being on the drug. Went off Trileptal in 2010 and I'm now on Lithium, which I think is superior. Start with qualified (i.e. board certified psychiatrists specializing in mood disorders) professionals and see a equally skilled psychologist regularly. The meds will follow. Good luck out there! "

Pacific Swimmer September 6, 2015