User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Also known as: Oxtellar XR, Trileptal

Learn more about Oxcarbazepine.

Oxcarbazepine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I was put on this drug when I was diagnosed with bipolar and it has made such a difference. No more racing mind, just calm and normal feeling. We worked to get the correct dosage and now I feel terrific."

Your nickname December 1, 2016

"I was diagnosed with bipolar 14 years ago. The first medicine they gave me was depakote which made my hair fall out. Then they put me on lithium which I have been on for 14 years and whenever I would try to go off it I would get manic really bad so I have had to stay on it. Well I recently weaned myself off lithium due to weight gain and hair thinning out. My doctor then prescribed trilyptal. I have been on it for two days and I already feel 100 percent better. I feel stabilized and in a very very good mood. It's like a happy pill so far. I am very happy."

Bipolar Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

"I had been on generic trileptal for years it worked great for mood stabilization . No weight gain or major side effects until I received a different generic version then my iodine levels were terribly low and I lost a ton of weight and felt awful . My dermatologist discovered this because my primary care Dr ran tests and couldn't figure this out. Years later I'm back on trileptal 900mg , my mood is great yet now I'm having hair loss . My hair is thin all ready . I'm done with this medicine. It's unfortunate because it works well for moods . Hair loss will defiantly have me depressed . Not worth it."

Auntybop (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

"Helped a lot with depression and mood swings"

AshleyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

"Lithium put me in the hospital for a month. I was on a respiratory tube 10 days and in a coma for 2. It really worked before this stay. I was also in renal for 10 days. Once I was released my doc tried Trileptal with an anti-anxiety med and I have been episode-free for almost 3 years. Lithium is great but have your blood levels checked VERY frequently. If you're having trouble with other medz, please consider giving this a try. I feel like a different person!"

BipoGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2016

"I have been on Trileptal for about 5 years know and I feel a lot better then I did before I was on like 3 or 4 other medications before hand and I kept telling my doctor they werent working so finally I switched to a different Dr who actually listened and he put me on the Trileptal I don't have any episode or any thing since being on this medication I take 600 MG 2 daily and let me tell you I feel so great and wonderful I would recommend this medicine to anone to take"

Wilhelmena May 24, 2016

"This medicine is a godsend. I was previously taking Depakote & Seroquel & got so sick & tired of my previous dr not listening to my concern of feeling like a zombie all day & trying to nod off during the day. Once I changed dr's, my current dr heard my concerns & introduced me to Trileptal. By far this is the BEST I've been doing since my correct diagnosis in 2009! I couldn't be happier w/my current progress, both not feeling like a zombie, but now also being able to thoroughly enjoy life with my first child I had in Oct 2015. I feel both the most leveled out I've felt in quite some time, but also without the awful effect of feeling 'drugged up' per say & actually feel regular human emotion, haha. I'd totally recommend this script!"

Batgirl85 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2016

"Extreme anxiety, exhausted"

Georgiaray (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I have been on many different medications for my bipolar for the last 8 years, and have been on Trileptal for 9 months. This is the best mood stabilizer I have ever been on. With this in my treatment regimen, along with some other good meds (celexa, prolixin) I am the most stable I have been in my life. It also has minimal side effects. It has a nice calming effect without being sedating or causing cognitive impairment, and it doesn't increase appetite for me like so many similar meds do. I started on 300 mg twice a day and about two months ago had to be increased to 600 mg twice a day. I did experience about a week or so of dizziness when first starting this medicine and when increasing the dose, however no side effects now."

Penguin88 April 27, 2016

Oxtellar XR (oxcarbazepine): "This is a cleaner way of taking trileptal, it really does make both medication management and the side effects easier to manage. On generic trilepetal I needed to medicate twice daily & the morning dose really put me in a fog, not to mention how intense the headaches could get about 30 minutes after my 3x evening dose. Now the headaches still come but are far less intense & the onset is hours later. Also, the lethargy factor is greatly reduced, I take 900 mg. @ 6 PM & I'm ready for bed at 10:30, not focused on getting to my pillow all night like I was previously. This medication does interfere with my ability to urinate within 2 hours of taking it. As for the positives, I'm a rapid-cycler & days are most certainly more stable. Give it time"

crazydude81 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

"I finally am able to live without so much fear and anger. I've been struggling a long time with finding the right meds. And I'm not fond of waiting 4-6 weeks for a therapeutic level. Not with this med. It works fast and it really calms me down..ALOT. Never thought I could be so passive. The only thing is my doctor started me with 300 mg a day...was not working for me..so I did my own research..and that was a little low for an adult..so I started taking 600 mg a day..perfect..perfect. I had my doctor change my mg. My goodness..a miracle drug..I am a different person on this med..no manic episodes.I even talk different..not loud and all over the place..my mind doesn't race. Thanks Trileptal!"

33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 1, 2016

"I was on Trileptal for less than 6 months because I was having trouble affording it at the time. What I can say is it helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. Overall, I think this is a good medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I took Trileptal from Feb 2015 to Dec 2015 - now weaning off it to lithium. I LOVED the way Trileptal handled my bipolar depression. I felt alert, alive, just really great. Unfortunately, a fall in August alerted my doctor to my bones being weakened. Also, I have optic neuritis in my left eye starting in July. Between those two side effects, we've decided to taper off the trileptal and return to lithium. I'm sad to stop it but the soft bones and eye issues are too great a problem to continue it."

cms13 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2015

"I have been on Triliptal for a few years and it helps a lot. Did see that it has a pain relieving effect, big time. It decreases anxiety, helps with sleep, mellows me out and at times I can't feel like my legs which is amusing since I realize this med. has a big effect on decreasing nerve pain, muscle pain ..... any pain? So, now onto the side effects: Low sodium, decreased heart rate (for me anyway) I also can't remember things, and when I read -- well that doesn't work out too well, but I try. I can't remember what I read. I space out a lot. I also don't feel like eating. I used to take Tegretol and that was awful, so I am pleased with this med. I take 1200 mg per day. It is hard with the 600 mg in the morning (I want to sleep)"

Yukongirl December 27, 2015

"Gabapentin was a life saving drug In regards to getting my bipolar under control. Before then, I had taken just about everything there was out there for bipolar, some would work, short lived, others I would not work at all. I was so angry all the time, for no apparent reason, and Lord forbid someone say something to me that upset me, I'd bite their head right off and say mean, hurting words to those that I love. Finally, I was stable, no roller coaster moods, anger or rage. The medication also calmed my severe anxiety and I was able to get off of xanax, which I had to have or I'd be a nervous, shaking, tremor in wreck, all day everyday !!! I might also add, that my severe depression was lifted, finally, I feel alive,well, and stable again."

kimmurdaugh (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2015

"I've been on a lot of mood medicines and this is one of the best medicines yet... although it makes my eyes really blurry! Will be getting a new pair of glasses soon!"

glassesgirl82 November 11, 2015

"I have been on Trileptal generic for 5 years. I highly recommend this drug. I've experienced no side effects. It's really a life savor!"

Love yourself November 1, 2015

"Only take brand-name Trileptal. Use of generic, oxcarbazepine resulted in stomach distress - gastritis"

Anonymous October 24, 2015

"I've been on generic Oxcarbazepine, 600 mg 3X day for years and it wasn't quite enough, alone, to control my Bipolar Disorder, but taken along with Lithium, seems to have finally been the combo I needed to bring me back to reality with stable mood, although it does make me very sleepy. I was crying every day and alternatingly unreasonably angry for years and years, going undiagnosed for decades. Bipolar runs rampant in my family, so I don't know why I didn't realize THAT was my issue, too! Just never put it together after watching my brother and sister's crazy rages, since mine was so different than that! Derp!"

Vastra S. September 20, 2015

"I have used it along with Trileptal and it has really helped as a mood stabilizer especially the manic stage. The bad part of taking it is when my doctor did not increased the Oxtallar XR & took me off the Trileptal all together I had a relapsed and was crying everyday. I am back on the Trileptal and my doctor is going to increase my Oxtellar XR 3 times a day and taper me off of Trileptal slowly because my sodium levels are a bit high. But other than that no complaints."

theslink25 September 12, 2015

"Diagnosed Bipolar I in 1997. I went through many combinations of medications since that time. I've been hospitalized 7 times and had massive amounts of ECT treatments. I was started on Trileptal in 2002 and always had two or more medications in conjunction with the Trileptal. I would definitely recommend it BUT watch your sodium levels and know there is a time limit for being on the drug. Went off Trileptal in 2010 and I'm now on Lithium, which I think is superior. Start with qualified (i.e. board certified psychiatrists specializing in mood disorders) professionals and see a equally skilled psychologist regularly. The meds will follow. Good luck out there! "

Pacific Swimmer September 6, 2015

"Was misdiagnosed for a very long time with major depression that included thoughts of suicide and after medications after medications I finally was reevaluated by a psychiatrist who properly diagnosed me with Bipolar Disorder and since have been taking Trileptal. Since starting the medication I have improved drastically and feel much more active and confident in myself and the environment in which I am in. Before I was always nervous and anxious and assumed people were against me but now I have allowed people in. I'm getting some emotion back including love. I have been married for years and for the first time in a while I am beginning to feel the happiness the illness had deprived me of. I hope to continue this medication. I'm happy"

Melipach July 26, 2015

"My 8 year old son was diagnosed with bipolar affective disorder and is on 300mg twice daily and clondine twice daily and has improved with his rages and outburst . I am impressed because his first meds were not working at all."

Mama's boy (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

"Wasn't effective for mood stabilization and I went in to manic episode. I took 600 mg 2x/d. Also caused some rash on arms and slightly decreased serum sodium level."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

"Been on this med for 3 yrs & generally have had a good experience. I've been on multiple antidepressants over the years, but found they increased my irritability. My Favorite was Zoloft, but gained 40 pounds in 2 yrs. A Dr. put me on lamictal & kept increasing the dose. Total nightmare. Extreme depression, anxiety increased & felt mania for the first time ever. My current Dr. switched me to Trileptal. Complete blessing to sleep again. The toss up? Going from feeling like I was on a pot of coffee to a bottle of wine. Had slurred speech & foggy head. My job requires me to speak in front of groups & taking in the AM was bad. Solution? Small dose of Lamictal (25 mg) in the AM (gets me up) & Trileptal (300 mg) at night for sleep. Been working!"

Just a person June 10, 2015