User Reviews for Oxcarbazepine

Also known as: Oxtellar XR, Trileptal

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Oxcarbazepine.

Oxcarbazepine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Oxcarbazepine to treat Bipolar Disorder

"I've been taking this med 600mg once a day at bedtime for 5weeks. It seemed to help stabilize my mood but I noticed more hair coming out than usual. I found out that it makes birth control pills less effective. Unfortunately, I can't continue this med for those reasons"

Moni89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective and low side effect profile in my experience. I didn't take my second dose by accident and I notice a huge difference. Trileptal really helps specifically for severe mania in combination with a neuroleptic."

djrastab (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine saved my life. I would of never been able to finish college. it took two trips to the psych ward and complete honesty with the doctor to get me the right medicine but ever since I've been put on it- no more pounding heart, no more manic episodes, no more depersonalize. It is truly a blessing to experience life a little better."

al dude (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have bipolar 1, extremely dangerous highs and extreme lows. I also struggled with anxiety. I was always so anxious that it felt like bricks were crushing my chest all the time. I was in and out of Dr's offices trying to get help. It wasn't until age 32, when I was hospitalized in a psych ward, suicide attempt because I was done suffering and done with life. I had a psychiatrist try trileptal. I've tried numerous anti depressants and mood stabilizers and I didn't think this would work. Literally days later, I woke up without the chest crush feeling. I didn't even know normal people felt that way. Then I noticed my moods stabilizing. Been calm and mellow ever since. This saved my life. No noticeable side effects for me."

KikiBub September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trileptal 600mg TID Numerous others Trileptal seems to be the topic at hand. I was on Trileptal years ago and then went off my meds altogether for a few years. Upon restarting my psych meds my prescribers tried me on several meds all the while I kept mentioning that trileptal had helped me immensely in the past. Finally, out of frustration if I had to guess, I was put back on Trileptal. The climb back up the ladder to find my dose has been long and unpleasant, but I have found a place finally where my thoughts have slowed enough to think straight, and my manic highs have been brought down to a more manageable base level."

Jake Maly (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on it for almost a year been on a roller coaster of meds trying to find everything I need for my multi problems lol. So for the first time I'm on this for my bipolar mood swing stabilizer and other meds that fit me quite well. I have found someone that will really listen to how I feel without being afraid I'll be locked up with my mouth and impulse to want to punch anyone that just looked at me. I'm on generic for xanax how ever its spelt, trazadone for sleep 150mg it finaly works after I cut off dark soda's, zolaf 50mg helps depression, OCD tramatic all helps tons with that lil pill, and aderall for my ADHD. I love my doc she is the best at listening and tries her best to truely understand me. ~Still Working on myself<3"

DollieDork (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This was the first and only medication that I have used, and within 2 weeks, I noticed a difference in my manic side, and my depressive side is nil. My manic side is triggered by slow and inconsiderate drivers, which makes it easy for me to judge how well it works, and if I am missing a few doses. The only downside to it is a low libido. I I was taking 300 mg in the am and 600 mg in the pm, and I just tried to up it to 600 in am and pm. That made my libido almost nil, but it did stop the frustration with any drivers on the road. I think I will lower the meds back down to what they were, or try something else."

bi_polar2bear (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take 300 mg a Day 150mg am + 150mg pm together with Halodol Vial once a month and Cogentol tab daily for the side effects of the Vial. I haven't suffered from a breakdown since I started taking the right dose 4 years ago. I only feel dizzy occasionally, and most of the time blurry vision. Other than that it seems working good with my case! Lately my Dr advised me to try Stimulant 400 cap twice a day to help me stay active while I'm at work."

Ho$$m June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried almost every medication on the market. I am on a cocktail. I take 1800 mg of oxycarzapine, 600 mg three times a day, 1200 mg of lithium, 1200 mg of topomax, and 180 mg of geodon and this last increase from 1200 to 1800, seems to have finally stabilized me."

Hlarkin May 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Trileptal has been a life-saver so far in treating my Bipolar. I've been on the drug for a little over 10 weeks and I currently take 600mg/day split between morning and evening. For the first month I experienced extreme fatigue, dizziness and headaches. Currently, I only sometimes have blurry vision and I feel like my memory has gotten worse (but it was poor to begin with). I didn't feel like it was actually working until I got to my current dose about three weeks ago and now every week is better than the last in that I have fewer "bad" days. I've even started to have good days without being manic! I do have a problem with sodium levels that I only notice after exercise, but eating a pickle or two resolves that."

chrissssyyyy April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Trileptal and just started taking it about a week ago and I have been in better moods from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. I was on 75mg of lamictal for over 3yrs and it was working fine and then it stopped working. I have also been diagnosed with bipolar when I was young when they said that I had the beginning stage of it. I was just recently diagnosed with the highest stage of bipolar that you can go and my psychologist put me on this med. I am taking 600mg a day 300mg in the am and 300mg at night I am not drowsy or nothing just a little dizzy every now and then."

Deej1985 April 15, 2017

"Wasn't effective"

gtw2 March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on a cocktail of mood stabilizers and an antidepressant to treat the depressive phase of bipolar. Lately, I started getting dysphoric manic phases. If I take 150 mg once a day, I feel so much calmer, thoughts don't race, dysphoria disappears. I don't feel groggy or slow. I think I tried a higher dose & it didn't agree with me. I took it, then stopped it, and now on it again. I saved it for acute mania and it helped me come down when I was worried I could not. It worked right away. Calmed my agitation and did not cause a crash. Improved my sleep too. I'm also taking 150 mg of Lamictal, 80 mg of Latuda, and occasionally 1 mg of Xanax as needed."

Mia76 March 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Made me feel jumpy and made me feel worse"

Range Randy March 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works pretty well for stabilizing moods, mostly manic. I take 300mg morning and 600mg at night. Have been taking for about three years. Dr will not let me take more than the 900mgs. Headaches for a week when starting and during increasing dose. It does mess with my memory. I can forget asking someone a question three times and sometimes have some trouble remembering words I'm trying to express."

BBP007 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am having problems urinating! I am experiencing confusion which is embarrassing as a teacher. Sometimes I feel my bottom lip tremble."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Tried a few mood stabilizers this year. Lamictal made me severely agitated and couldn't sleep a wink. Zyprexa turned me into the Cookie Monster and made me put on weight very fast. Put on this and have had great results. I don't get upset like I used to, and the racing thoughts have diminished greatly along with the anxiety."

Anonymous December 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug has helped me so much, I used to be on a low dose benzo and an antidepressant and I felt terrible all the time, I had many racing thoughts about hurting myself and dying, I couldn't control myself at all when I felt anxious or too happy, which came followed by depression, but when my doctor replaced my benzo with this, the intrusive thoughts stopped. I got ocasional headache and dizziness (these are the only side effects i got) at first, but the side effects have gone away now after a couple months. I can finally function normally without terrible mood swings that ruin everything. I take 600 mg a day, 300 at morning and 300 at night."

Anonymous December 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed w/ bipolar 1 at age 25. My main problems are rapid cycling and manic episodes. Though I feel I have received good medical treatment these past ten years (though not the first 15), when I had to stop taking lithium due to kidney problems, I began to lose hope that I would ever feel well (even for brief periods of time) again. I am now taking trileptal as a monotherapy, and I feel the best I ever remember feeling. My mind is finally quiet. I am happy when I wake up in the morning. I sleep soundly. You are in this for the long haul whether you like it or not, guys. Find a GOOD doctor and try this. It may take a little time to get the dosage and timing correct, but it is worth the effort. (No weight gain, either.)"

25 years (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on this drug when I was diagnosed with bipolar and it has made such a difference. No more racing mind, just calm and normal feeling. We worked to get the correct dosage and now I feel terrific."

Your nickname December 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with bipolar 14 years ago. The first medicine they gave me was depakote which made my hair fall out. Then they put me on lithium which I have been on for 14 years and whenever I would try to go off it I would get manic really bad so I have had to stay on it. Well I recently weaned myself off lithium due to weight gain and hair thinning out. My doctor then prescribed trilyptal. I have been on it for two days and I already feel 100 percent better. I feel stabilized and in a very very good mood. It's like a happy pill so far. I am very happy."

Bipolar Nikki (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been on generic trileptal for years it worked great for mood stabilization . No weight gain or major side effects until I received a different generic version then my iodine levels were terribly low and I lost a ton of weight and felt awful . My dermatologist discovered this because my primary care Dr ran tests and couldn't figure this out. Years later I'm back on trileptal 900mg , my mood is great yet now I'm having hair loss . My hair is thin all ready . I'm done with this medicine. It's unfortunate because it works well for moods . Hair loss will defiantly have me depressed . Not worth it."

Auntybop (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Helped a lot with depression and mood swings"

AshleyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Lithium put me in the hospital for a month. I was on a respiratory tube 10 days and in a coma for 2. It really worked before this stay. I was also in renal for 10 days. Once I was released my doc tried Trileptal with an anti-anxiety med and I have been episode-free for almost 3 years. Lithium is great but have your blood levels checked VERY frequently. If you're having trouble with other medz, please consider giving this a try. I feel like a different person!"

BipoGirl (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 11, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Trileptal for about 5 years know and I feel a lot better then I did before I was on like 3 or 4 other medications before hand and I kept telling my doctor they werent working so finally I switched to a different Dr who actually listened and he put me on the Trileptal I don't have any episode or any thing since being on this medication I take 600 MG 2 daily and let me tell you I feel so great and wonderful I would recommend this medicine to anone to take"

Wilhelmena May 24, 2016