User Reviews for Fluconazole

Also known as: Diflucan

Fluconazole has an average rating of 6.4 out of 10 from a total of 462 ratings on Drugs.com. 52% of those users who reviewed Fluconazole reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Onychomycosis, Fingernail  Off-label
4.5
Summary of Fluconazole reviews 6.4 462 reviews

Reviews for Fluconazole

hannahbomkamp · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2021

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I had the worst experience of my life taking this drug! I was prescribed this for a yeast infection and have been in and out of the hospital for past four days with excessive diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, and severe fatigue! I had black diarrhea and terrible body aches. I’m only just now able to eat rice and chicken broth!! It is awful, awful, awful.. ladies.. go to walmart and get the VH suppositories or pills instead.. take / insert once weekly and it’ll be gone! no side effects with those as its all natural!”

NiyaMiller0308 May 16, 2021

For Candida Urinary Tract Infection: “I am a single mother of 4 at the age 36 and I had a yeast infection. My doctor gave me this medication for 7 days. I took only one and stopped because the next morning my urine color was very bright fluorescent yellow/ orange and abdominal pain! It’s day 3 since I’ve taken that prescription and my pain in abdomen and now eyes glassy and I don’t feel right at all! Tomorrow I’m going to Emergency Room if I don’t see a change! Please God Help me! I don’t want to die! I trusted my doctor to get rid of my yeast not my liver too! I’m so scared! Please pray that I survived and got better! For my babies!?”

Ivette April 24, 2021

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I was prescribed the pill a week ago. Stopped the itch, but started having discharged everyday doesn’t smell or anything yellow/light green. Not sure why do I have a discharge when I never had a discharge before taking this pill, only the itch.”

Anastacia · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Fluconazole: Brand name Diflucan worked like magic for me. It sounds like a yeast infection may have been the wrong diagnosis for some of you all judging from the symptoms or the yeast infection may have been more severe which may have called for a double dose on the first day vs. the one dose of 150mg. What helped me was drinking plenty of water to flush the medicine through my system, eating yogurt with probiotics, urinating as much as possible, and flushing my exterior vulva with cool water for relief to rinse the yeast from my skin. (((Do not rub or scratch your vulva because that contributes to swelling, inflammation, and irritation ))). Sit on the toilet or tub and rinse with a large cup of cool water and pat dry. I AVOIDED ALCOHOL FOR AT LEAST ONE WEEK while the antibiotic took its course. I was healed completely in less than 3-4 days.”

Pollypocket · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2020

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “This week has been incredibly long but I think the madness is coming to an end. I was given a large dose of amoxicillin for strep and this was my first yeast infection ever. To anyone in the midst of it right now please stay strong. I’ve never felt such agony and discomfort and PAIN. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel and its diflucan(fluconazole), nystatin (or any topical anti fungal to help the itch) and an ice pack (wrapped in a towel of course)!!. The fluconazole takes times. It’s gets worse before it gets better but I’m here now to say it def gets better so hang in there!! I’m not 100% back to normal but I think I’m on my way.”

Oh So That’s What That Is June 19, 2019

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I’ve had bacterial vaginosis 3 times so when I headed into the gyno with a sore vagina, we both assumed my sensitive inner pH meant BV again. She started me on a hefty antibiotic suppository and my itching became unbearable. 5 days later when I couldn’t sit down due to the burning, she let me know my test results had just came in. Apparently we’d been treating a yeast infection with an antibiotic medication that typically causes yeast infections, making it into Godzilla of Yeast. She prescribed two 150 mg pills to be taken 2 days apart. Never having a yeast infection before, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Within a few hours of the first pill, the itching was almost gone. What I wasn’t prepared for is the next morning finding a shocking amount of the watery cottage cheese discharge everyone describes which I hadn’t had before. I hope/assume that means it’s working and the yeast is being expelled as it dies(?) I had no side effects, am symptom free and thrilled today.”

Chew654321 December 10, 2014

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Be patient it does take a few days for the symptoms to clear but after about 4 days you should see improvement. There is a topical cream your Dr can provide that helps with burning and itching. To ease pain soak in cool water frequently... But it may take up to 7 days to clear.”

Nina October 7, 2020

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “So, I was hesitant to try this because all the bad reviews and plus I be having anxiety and panic attacks. But! I felt better just a few hours after taking this pill. GIRL! Would you rather feel a little off by the side effects orrrrrr deal with the NASTY ITCHING, BURNING AND COMPLETE DISCOMFORT OF YOUR PRECIOUS YONI? Right, take the pill (1 day) and you’ll be okay. I am happy with my results, but hey it differs from woman to woman so just take a full day of making a decision and follow your heart cause trust me, I did so much investigation and took the leap of faith and results are good.”

Carol · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2020

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I’ve had yeast infections in the past and this medication has made it go away with no problem at all. However, I’ve been having a yeast infection for 4 months now, yes 4 WHOLE MONTHS and it doesn’t go away with taking this medication that my obgyn only seems to be prescribing me. It’s nothing else but a yeast infection and Diflucan doesn’t work for me anymore. I’m going to have to try boric acid suppositories...”

MissNickie February 14, 2020

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Fluconazole is The BEST and ONLY drug that cures vaginal (and anal) yeast infections! I recently had to be prescribed antibiotics for a sinus infection, so I already knew I would get a yeast infection because I always do whenever I have to take antibiotics. Fluconazole gives me a lot of relief. What many people may not know is that antibiotics can cause other medical issues to develop while taking them, such as diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramps, excessive gas, yeast infections, etc. Taking antibiotics this time resulted in me having a vaginal and anal yeast infection. I hate itching worse than being in pain! Thankfully, Fluconazole, hydrocortisone cream, and Benadryl always give me the needed relief when I deal with yeast infections. This was the first time that I developed anal yeast with very intense itching. Fluconazole is a life saver and I highly recommend this drug instead of OTC treatments to get rid of yeast!”

Alynn December 19, 2019

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I took a course of antibiotics for BV and ended up getting a yeast infection. I went back to the clinic where they have me a 3 day course of Terconazole, it helped but didn't clear the infection completely. Such a pain! So back to the clinic I went where they gave me 2 doses of Fluconazole, one to take right away and another to take 3 days later. I didn't notice an immediate improvement like many of these other reviews. About 24 hours after taking the first dose I noticed a lot of prickling down there, kind of like sandpaper. The prickling lasted for about a week before it finally started to fade. I went back to the clinic 10 days later to make sure the infection was gone, and they finally couldn't find any yeast! I still feel a bit sore and scratchy, but at least I know it is from the infection healing and not more yeast. Didn't have any major side effects, just felt really tired after a few days. Overall Im happy with Fluconazole, but the curing and healing process is very gradual.”

Anonymous September 17, 2015

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Ok so I had a yeast infection for a whole month it was some type of intense burning sensation in my vagina it was sooo bad it went and came every other day it had gotten so bad I had to see a doctor. I was scared because it was so bad and I cried and thought I would never have a sex life ever again. I went to an obgyn in he told me I had a mild yeast infection I was shocked because it felt so severe and painful. I thought it was something worse the doctor prescribed me diflucan/flicanzole 150mg. It was one pill I took it when I got home. It didn't work instantly but the yeast was fixed in two days. I took it on Tuesday & felt nothing Thursday morning - I was so happy ”

Jen0620 June 27, 2013

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “It is unbelievable how wonderful this medicine is for yeast infections! I went to doc for a urinary tract infection and also had symptoms of redness, burning, itching and swelling. It was the worst ever! Took 1 pill and already noticed results in just a few hours! It is a miracle.”

girlproblems · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 26, 2018

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “So I’ve taken this medicine in the past (prone to yeast but now cutting back on sugar consumption, finally caught on). I want to say as of 2017 some ingredient HAD to change with this medication . Took it in the fall of 2017 the following day my lip itches and turns red. Took it in January 2018 the following day my lip itched , turned red and actually scabbed up as well as part of my cheek. Got tested everything came out clear. Started thinking it could’ve been the medicine at that time but wasn’t sure. Now it July I took the one time pill again, woke up the next morning and guess who’s lip and cheek was red ...it lasts a few days & literally happens in the same spot each time.. has anyone else noticed a change taking this?”

Hopefully helpful December 17, 2015

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Ladies, I read some comments on here I wanted to respond to. If you've been taking the diflucan pill more than once and you're still experiencing pain and discomfort you might actually have bacterial vaginosis The symptoms are very similar and sometimes yeast infection medicine can cause this. You will need a different prescription to clear this up. Just a thought to consider if your symptoms are not clearing up. Think about making a visit to the doctor to find out.”

Sakura · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 25, 2020

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “So this is probably very TMI but here goes. I’ve been taking diflucan for about 3 years now. I have recurrent yeast infections due to being immunocompromised. Last year I had 9 infections. I am allergic to all over the counter yeast medicines. My labia minora is always inside my body, the over the counter medication causes my labia to come outside of my body and swell to the size of bigger than a golf ball. This medication saves me so much. When I take it, it’s like magic. I notice improvement within an hour. Usually only takes a day and it’s gone completely. Before I knew of it’s existence I would use Apple cider vinegar. Don’t do that. It burns bad. It killed the yeast but started giving me BV. So thankful for this medication.”

Rebecca1988 December 18, 2016

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Ladies, I had recurring yeast infections a few years aback. What I did to stop it was I threw away my underwear and bought new ones. If you cannot afford you need to lysol your underwear crotch and wash in hot water to kill the yeast. I eat different brands of yogurt twice weekly(look for live active cultures). I don't use soap to wash off....I use an unscented ph balanced feminine wash. Make sure your sexual partner gets a dose of fluconazole as they can transfer the infection back to you. Wear cotton undies and try sleeping naked a couple times a week. Fluconazole works but it takes time. Yeast can reoccur. I suggest the following above tips. I also use natures way probiotic every other month.”

Juju61406 · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2016

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I was diagnosed with a Yeast Infection for the first time yesterday morning after 2 days of discomfort. My vulva was swollen, sore & itchy & my vagina was extremely sore & it burned slightly. After I saw cottage cheese-like discharge in my underwear on yesterday morning I decided it was time to take action & I went to my doctor. I was given one pill (150 Mmg dose of Diflucan) by my doctor. I took the pill at around 10:30am & later on last night I began to feel relief! This morning around 7am I woke up feeling almost 100% relieved!! Not even a full 24 hours & this medicine gave me relief! I can still feel slight itching a little bit throughout my day, but I'm sure in a couple of days I'll be back to normal & yeast infection free by Tuesday!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2013

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “This pill works well. I have a recurrent yeast infection (some call it "chronic") and the over the counter meds doesn't work for me. I see a lot of others commented on here saying that this medication made them very sick, however, my guess is that they were experiencing the Herxheimer reaction, which is where the Candida bacteria are dying off rapidly causing flu-like symptoms (the liver can't expel the toxins fast enough and it over loads the body). One reviewer described this reaction to a "T". It isn't a reaction to the pill necessarily, but her body's natural response to getting rid of the infection. Anyway, this medication does take some time to work and may require a few doses.”

Thaddius She Is · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “This worked great for me. Before taking the pill I was itching and burning and had discharge. I was so embarrassed because I never had one before. I also started to develop ulcers in my mouth so the infection actually reached my mouth since it went untreated for 3 weeks. I was prescribed Diflucan. I took it on Friday by Sunday I started to feel better. On Sunday I took the second pill. It is now Tuesday and my tongue ulcers are healing, my tonsils have gone down, The itching and burning stopped but the irritation is still there whenever I wash my vagina with soap or wear certain panties.”

haaa, wht an itcch! February 26, 2020

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “So, was prescribed this for a vaginal yeast infection from antibiotics. Had to take 150mg 1st day then another 3 days later. After 30 mins of taking it, dizziness, nausea, headache hit me. An hour later, whole body started to itch, eyes, nose, ears, tongue, throat, extreme itching and burning, itching & prickling in the anus, can't sit or lie down. Dunno if it is an allergic reaction. Next day, bad stomach & tummy cramps, bloat, gas, sweating, a bit of diarrhoea, fatigue, mood swings, dp feelings, loss of appetite, cough, chest pain, flu symptoms, throat is tingling and can't eat a damn thing without choking. literally dunno what to do. My vag is now in co-ma. DIscharge went away, the itching and irritation is still there, & I 'm in a lot of pain, the yeast infection is still there. Will not take the 2nd pill. Had I known the side-effects, I would have flushed this pill in the toilet . I could have just cured the yeast infection naturally with a diet, probiotics or old-fashioned monistat.”

Sonia · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 17, 2020

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Hi I was suffering with vaginal thrush from last 1 year I tried all on the counter medicine, home remedies, strict diet nothing with for me , my GP sent me to gynaecologist, she put me on boric acid pessary every month for 15 days and fluconzole 150 every week. I took fluconzole more then year but nothing work for me, it is so bad itch all the time , no one understands me, I was in pain then I went to new GP I explain her everything she put me on fluconzole 50 mg daily for 8 weeks. It was the best decision on my life slowly, slowly day by day my symptoms gone finally I am now thrush free! I can’t believe it’s really good treatment...fluconzole 150 mg only works if you have thrush once but in my case severe we need regular dosage ..thanks”

begone itch · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2019

Diflucan (fluconazole) for Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I asked my doctor for a prescription of diflucan after monistat 7 burned my insides worse than the infection itself! Diflucan has been great for me so far!! I was prescribed two 150mg tablets— one to take ASAP, and the other to take three days later. I’m on day 2 of the pill being in my system, and let me tell you, although it takes a while for the pill to kick in, it really does work!!! Now, this didn’t work a mere couple hours later for me, I didn’t start to feel relief until this morning, but a little over 24 hours after ingesting the pill, and the burning has completely gone away :) the itchiness is still prevalent, although it has subsided GREATLY. I’m still a bit sore, but that’s to be expected with a really bad yeast infection. The only side effects that I’ve really noticed with this pill are that it did leave a small patch of dry skin near my mouth (but as an eczema sufferer, this is nothing crazy for me to handle lol), and it really will give you the poops.”

joy23 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2019

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I had 2 recurrent yeast infection in a month. I had used clotrimazole cream and suppositories during this time. The itchiness went away with this treatment so I knew it was yeast infection and the discharge was not smelly. The third time I asked my doc to give me fluconazole. With 100 mg first day I saw improvement. Please don't suffer with yeast infections, take this pill. I did get a discharge after first day so hopefully all the yeast is coming off. Second dose cleared it out completely. I will recommend this product but if you are allergic to it then try some other yeast infection medication.”

No longer itchy :) October 23, 2013

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I LOVE FLUCONIZOLE!! It ALWAYS works fast & eases my "issues" VERY QUICKLY! - Generally, I take a 150mg tablet, every 3 days. (Sometimes 2 doses, sometimes 3, depending upon severity.) - Other helpful suggestions include: Drinking plenty of water, eating yogurt, (or my favorite) a probiotic drink like Strawberry Kefir. - AVOID: any alcoholic drinks, especially beer for a yeast infection, I've heard beer can possibly be a good thing with bladder infections, but I'm not certain. - Tips to AVOID yeast infections to begin with: beware that consistently wearing pantyhose, tights, or spandex, is a BAD idea, your "bits" need time to "breathe", NEVER USE VASELINE, or OIL on your bits, ever!! Avoid any flavored ANYTHING internally in your "parts.":)”

Vic · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2019

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “This medication is not a joke, I kid you not. I was able to take only 2 of 3 prescribed pills of 150mg of this chemical for a very bad vaginal yeast infection brought on by antibiotic use, and I regret that I took this. One single pill caused pounding headaches, extreme nausea, tachycardia, chills, cold and hot flushes, profuse sweating, depression, explosive D, no appetite, fatigue, pale skin, dizziness, chest tightness, panic attacks, mental confusion and nightmares. I felt like I was in a living nightmare or in a horror movie. That said, it did not even touch my burning, itchy and violently discharging vagina. Even more, my vagina felt numb on this pill & no sexual pleasure, even my poor bf started to think that I was gonna have normal vagina and enjoy sex. I will never take this chemical again in my system. Now taking Candex with a probiotic & a yeast free diet, seems to be working. Hoping to bring my vagina into this world again.”

NickieLee June 21, 2017

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “Diflucan works wonders and for me! It is the best choice for a yeast infection. I've had frequent UTI's since giving birth and I always get a yeast infection after taking antibiotics. Diflucan works very well and the relief starts within a day or two . The downside to this medication is the itching gets more intense as the medicine works, usually this happens between day 1 and 2. I wish that this product was available over the counter, but it is indeed a great product for yeast infections, whether the infection is mild or severe. I even took this while I was pregnant. But if I can remember correctly, if you are pregnant, you are not supposed to take Diflucan more than once.”

twinklenoz · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2014

For Vaginal Yeast Infection: “I am extremely prone to yeast infections particular with any antibiotic use. The medication took 3 days to clear up the infection used in conjunction with Monistat 3; however, the redness, irritation, and extreme itching remained, to the point where I could not sit still. I read on another forum that using a generous amount of zinc oxide cream would help. I was desperate to try anything and it truly did the trick! It provided instant relief and I just had to share this with others who may be experiencing the same symptoms. Forget using those anti-itch creams that come with Monistat! Use the zinc oxide instead and you will save yourself the agony. Be sure that you clean and dry the area first before applying the zinc cream. Works wonders!”