Fluconazole - How long does it take to work?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 21, 2020.
I took it on Tuesday & its Wednesday but I've had a yeast infection since last Friday because of a high dose of antibiotics.
Fluconazole is an antifungal medicine and is used to treat infections caused by fungus. Fungal infections can affect any part of the body including the mouth, throat, esophagus, lungs, bladder, genital area, and the blood.
Fluconazole is also used to prevent fungal infection in people who have a weak immune system caused by cancer treatment, bone marrow transplant, or diseases such as AIDS.
For mild, uncomplicated, infections fluconazole is prescribed as a single 150 mg dose and an improvement in symptoms is usually seen within one to three days. If a single dose does not completely relieve symptoms, or the infection is severe, fluconazole can be prescribed as three consecutive doses given three days apart. With this regimen it's expected that symptoms should improve within one to two weeks. If symptoms continue despite appropriate treatment, fluconazole may be prescribed for every day use for ten to fourteen days, and even continued once per week for six months.
For more information visit: https://www.drugs.com/mtm/fluconazole.html
Related Medical Questions
- Fluconazole - can you drink alcohol while using one dose of 150mg one time?
- I took a fluconazole 150 mg tablet Monday afternoon for a yeast infection.
- What is the dose of fluconazole for tinea? Is it is indicated for tinea infections?
- I am having a reaction after taking fluconazole and would like to know if this is normal?
- What's the difference between Bacteria and Viruses?
- Can you drink alcohol with amoxicillin?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- How many times a day should a male adult take amoxicillin 500mg for an ear infection?
- Monistat-1, white discharge and burning 3 days after use. Is this normal?
- What is the best way to reduce swelling in your face?
- Azithromycin to cure chlamydia: How much and how long?
- Cephalexin - can this be used to treat an abscess in the mouth or gum infection?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- UTI vs Bladder vs Yeast Infections - What's the difference?
- How often should I take amoxicillin for a sinus infection?
- What's the normal daily dose of amoxicillin 500mg for chest infections?
- Can you drink wine while taking penicillin VK 500mg tablets?
- Fluconazole Information for Consumers
- Fluconazole Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Fluconazole (detailed)