User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, Creomulsion Children, ...show all 62 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Dextromethorphan Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 696 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan to treat Cough

Strepsils Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Yummy and good"

Johny Boy (taken for 10 years or more) August 16, 2016

"I am currently trying to get over a very nasty cold. I couldn't handle the coughing anymore so I bought Delsym. I took it before years ago with no problems. It made the cough worse before it started to help. It made me drowsy. I napped and was cough free during that time. Maybe 3 hours. Then I woke up not feeling "right". I started to feel hot and had some stomach cramping. I got up to go pee and all of a sudden it's like I lost all control of my body. I started sweating uncontrollably and started falling and passing out repeatedly. My muscles tensed up and I couldn't move. I finally came to long enough to stand up and immediately got horrible diarrhea. I still feel totally out of it. Make sure you have someone to monitor you if you take it"

coughypoops June 30, 2016

"One of the most horrible drugs I've taken in my life. Mind you it was very effective at suppressing the cough, but it gave me vertigo like no tomorrow. I had HUUUUGE dilated pupils, severe dizziness, vertigo (cannot walk unassisted), confusion and retrograde amnesia. I had to take one day off work plus the whole weekend to lay in bed trying to fight the dizziness. It is now the 4th day since I took the drug (extended release pill x 3 doses) and I'm still fighting the side effects. It has severely impaired my ability to concentrate at work and I do not recommend this for ANYBODY."

angeeeeeeeeee June 20, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I made the mistake of taking this medicine before going to bed. I woke up in my own excrement. Seriously, this no laughing matter. It was like something out of a Dumb & Dumber movie. I had a raging case of explosive diarrhea. I feel sorry for the poor souls who don't use at least 3-ply toilet paper. Food went right through me like fat people go through twinkles. I would only recommend if you take a lower dosage than the recommended one."

Ray Nicolet (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took the appropriate dose of Delsym, and 30 minutes later began hallucinating. The following day, I lost all vision and motor control. I took Delsym 3 days ago and am still experiencing side effects."

Unhappy customer (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2016

"I'm currently sitting on the toilet because I literally cannot finish washing my hands before I have to come back. Took it last night and was up from 2-4 pooping my brains out, just shook it off as something I ate. Took it again tonight, and the repeated i diarrhea has confirmed it was the robitussin"

The bowel evacuator (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2016

"Worthless: I haven't had the side effects listed, but neither have I come close to stop coughing. Gargling with Listerene and letting the fumes coat my throat is just as effective, and a lot cheaper: and without fear of side effects."

Arthur A (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Terrible medication. I got diarrhea, stomach pain and nausea. Made me feel worse then how I started."

Anonymous May 3, 2016

"This worked great for my husband until he gave me his cold. I used this medicine and was somewhat relieved but had extremely uncomfortable gas and diarrhea. I thought I had a worse strain of virus and took the medicine again the next day. Within 45 min my stomach problems that had quit the night before returned with a vengeance. Dextromethorphan was the only ingredient I haven't used before without this reaction. Unless it's a new red dye allergy, I'm never taking anything with this ingredient again."

Willa79 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

"Works 9 out of 10 times.all the comments below seem very remiss and I see no ages or co morbiditis.this medicine is thoroughly tested and is as close as you'll get to similar meds on the market that worked about 20 years ago for generations now there main active ingredients have been removed or diluted!"

Dave76998 May 1, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took Delsym for a severe cough. It stopped the cough and made me drowsy. I took a nap and when I woke up I could not move! My body was paralyzed. My cognition was impaired. After a undetermined period of time I was able to move and call for help. Very lucky to have been taken to a local VA Hospital where my blood tests indicated my immune system was compromised and my platelet count was 50,000 which they told me if I was in a serious accident I would bleed out. I was told that Delsym was a bad OTC Cough Syrup and would produce serious interactions with other Prescribed Medications. This near death experience can be documented."

fatherjim (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Don't take it! First, it doesn't work. Second, I had stomach pain starting about 15 minutes after I took it. Sick stomach for hours. Then about 5 hours in I started throwing up violently. Delysim is the only thing I had in my stomach."

Rigby68 (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

"After taking the cough syrup, in less then an hour I had such intense cramping in my stomach that I had a hard time walking straight, it was pure torture! Then I had nightmares All Night and didn't sleep good at all, missed work because of it the next day...the worst part, it made my throat tickle even more then before I took it."

Izashift April 7, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took the recommended dosage of Delsym and it went in my mouth and set my throat on fire I have never felt pain like that I couldn't sleep at all I sat up all night crying I've never felt pain like that from a cough medicine or so-called cough medicine"

Amber061684 April 7, 2016

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Paid $10.00 for 3 oz bottle. Took as directed and did not stop coughing. Only upset my stomach. Called the company and they would not stand behind their product. No return policy for unused portion."

Jim J. April 1, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "At the risk of someone thinking I'm the "same person as other posters," I'm Posting my real name. I've had a nagging cough, and chose to try Delsym again, as I've had success in the past with it. I commute 30 miles to work. I got within a mile of my office and coughed.......and pooped all over myself. Yes. Explosive diarrhea in my scrubs! It was awful. I'm sitting in the work parking lot,calling the girls outside since I can't move out of my car! Forward......I'm home but can't get more than twenty minutes away from a toilet. If you take this, trust me, you won't cough, just like it says, for 12 hours. You'll be afraid to. Take something else, please. After all, it has been a terribly shi€€y day for me."

AngelaIsMyRealName (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Didn't do anything for my cough, as a matter a fact I was scared to cough because I didn't want to poop my pants!!! 45 minutes after taking this I had explosive diarrhea, my stomach was bubbling I thought I had to pass gas so I attempted to do so to my surprise it wasn't gas but explosive diarrhea it was all over my bed. Stay away from this product unless you want to loose weight!!"

The squirts (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Cramps, nausea ,diarrhea 24 hours off hell explosive watery discharge do not take."

Puddin boy March 16, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Severe stomach pain & dierria"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "like several other reviewers, I also got the stomach gurgles, then watery diarrhea after taking Delsym "

soops February 18, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Bottle impossible to open without vice grip pliers. Diagram on the bottle lid is completely useless. It indicates " 1.push down and 2. turn anticlockwise" but will not open with these manipulations. Possible that I got a bottle from a defective batch in manufacturing (bar code 3 63824 21366 8), made in England, where the QC is much better than in, say, China. Written instructions on the peel to read label would be useful. Also why not add a trivial amount of sucrose such as 1 gram (1/100th of the carbs in one slice of bread) instead of toxic/carcinogenic/laxative EDTA, benzoate, propylene glycol, propyl gallate, sorbitol, sucralose, and beet color instead of FD&C Red #40? The anhydrous citric acid would suffice as a nontoxic preservative."

axxis (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 16, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "It helps with the cough but gave me uncontrollable diarrhea. I wouldn't recommend this product"

John g ( garza) February 15, 2016

"I just took Delsym an hour ago and now my cough is worse and I have some bowel movements."

classified name (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Only made a slight difference in coughing. A bag of cough drops is more effective."

Pierre108 February 4, 2016

"Took my first dose last night before bed since I have been having a nagging cough from allergies. Helped suppress the cough a little (not completely) but I was up on and off all night with anxiety, nausea, night sweats, and of course, coughing. It is now 2pm the following day and I have been extremely dizzy all day and have been having very gassy diarrhea and stomach cramps. I have been stuck at home all day feeling bad. Will never use this medication again. I prefer coughing over vertigo and diarrhea."

Robitussin DM February 2, 2016