User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: 12 Hour Cough Relief, Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, ...show all 63 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Dextromethorphan Rating Summary

4.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 687 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan to treat Cough

"Took this med for a spasm-y cough that just wouldn't stop. Definitely helped the cough. A couple of hours after the first dose, I experienced abdominal cramps and diarrhea. I checked the bottle for side effects, didn't see gastrointestinal issues listed, and assumed I'd eaten something that didn't agree with me. I took the second dose about 1-1/2 hours before bed. An hour later, another round of bathroom jaunts began. It did what it should for the cough, but the gastrointestinal side effects aren't worth it."

Reba Y August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Buckleys Mixture (dextromethorphan): "It tastes like licking tree sap straight of the bark of a tree, but by far it's the best over the counter medicine I've found to provide long lasting results."

Anonymous August 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took this for a really tickly cough that would not shift and was keeping myself and my other half up. I woke up this morning after only having about 4 doses over the last 2 days and basically soiled myself! I've been up and down to the toilet all day! I feel awful and I hope it passes soon as I fly to Canada tomorrow! Will Imodium help?"

Ejw (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I've used this product before with no problems. However, I took a dose at 6AM this morning because of a nagging cough and have been extremely sick ever since. Horrible diarrhea, dizziness and nausea. Sitting in bed with a trash can next to me wishing that I would just throw up so I'd feel better. I hope this doesn't last 12 hours. I'm getting to old to waste a day in bed."

KaPa July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Delsym worked well for my nighttime coughing spells. Maybe not for 4 hours, probably 3 hours. Taste is not horrible. Hives in the morning will prevent me from using again though."

pmr6712 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Stopped the cough because too scared to cough for fear of pooping my pants. Terrible...but stupidly thought maybe it was just me as I some had srfgery that affects how I digest things. Gave my daughter (15yo) some tonight....same thing, the toilet became her new friend :( way to make someone already sick feel much worse."

Nocough (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "DO NOT TRY IT. I know some of you have had good experiences and some have had bad ones. There as been more bad ones then there are good I know that much. I took this medicine for my dry cough that I was having, I felt fine for a little while, went to sleep. And then about an hour after going to sleep I woke up in a full blown panic attack. I felt like I was going to black out, I kept having hot flashes, and severe stomach pain. The feeling of throwing up was pretty bad too, but it never happened. I was shaking and almost went to the hospital."

skye101 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "IBS? DO NOT TAKE should be the warning on this label. 6 hours after you take it. Cramps...diarrhea...nausea. Not worth it!"

Godsgirl614ever (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "I have a dry cough. I took the medicine before bed. I continued to cough and I did feel restless and had more difficulty falling asleep after coughing fits."

Melhasacough May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "I was sleeping in the recliner and coughing no matter what I tried. This worked very well. I think it might be the best 12 hours of relief I have had from coughing. Slight diarrhea but so worth the cough relief. I would take this again when that sick with a cough."

JenBu April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I found this page and everything clicked just two days too late. While my cough went away, the first night I woken up with severe cramping and the worst diarrhea of my life and was unable to hold food down for 12 hours. Then I took the medicine the next night and woke up to constant severe cramping to the point of skipping all my meals and popping pepto until the 12 hour mark when I was able to hold down a bagel. Thank god I searched this tonight because I was about to take it again!! It is not expired but rather a painful fast track to a cleanse. Never touching again."

Manda_A April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Googled "dextromethorphan & diarrhea" and it lead me here. Is it helping my cough? I doubt it. It's hard to imagine things being worse in the constant coughing department but I guess the only way to know is to stop taking it (which I plan to do). The bigger problem is the loose stool. As someone who lives with constipation on a daily basis, this side effect was quite surprising. I feel bad for any "regular" people out there as you must be truly suffering rather nasty outcomes from unintentionally taking a laxative."

Beverly H. April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "This cough syrup should be advertised as a colon cleanse. Fast acting! Holy moly. Within 10 minutes the diarrhea hit me like a freight train. I didn't know I had all that in me. The diarrhea was a great distraction from my sore throat. I didn't think the diarrhea was from the Delsum at first. I put two and two together when every 12 hours I took a dose it was followed by the violent emptying of my being. I did feel immediately better after the trips to the bathroom."

Annap88 April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine has definitely helped with my cough. I thought I had gotten a stomach virus at the same time as a cold... nope.This product gave me violent diarrhea. Stopped taking it for a day and my stool returned to normal. Took a dose this morning because I couldn't handle my cough and what do ya know- in the bathroom for the last five hours? Save yourself and buy something else. Throwing it away"

DanielleSherid April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "This did stop my cough all night after suffering from a terrible cough for 5 days but I have severe watery diarrhea a short time after taking it. My husband had the same cough and it stopped his cough, too, luckily he did not get diarrhea. The grape flavor tasted pretty good. Imodium stopped my diarrhea with 2 doses. I will save the rest of bottle for him but not for me."

City girl March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took this medicine around midnight last night after being tired of trying to hold back a cough and it worked pretty quickly...I also had hot water with lemon and honey so that probably helped too. However, around 5:00am I woke up with severe cramping and diarrhea. I spent two hours running back and forth to the bathroom. I also experienced nausea and dizziness. But hey it got rid of my cough...not worth it."

Anonymous March 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Waste of money No relief at all"

Karen1968 March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "After having a nasty cold/cough for 5 days I had to do something, I was getting tired of sleeping in a recliner so I decided to give Delsym a try. Now it did help with the dry cough, I was still woken up to the gasping painful coughs but it was better than being awake almost all night long. I do have ibs-d and Delsym made me be in the bathroom most of the morning and it gave me the hang over headache. So Yes it did stop most of my coughing but who wants to spend the next day in the bathroom bent over in pain from cough syrup."

MartineL (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Worked great for day and night time relief! Went from a wicked dry cough to hours of cough-free rest. Its awesome and very effective."

Megan's cough March 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "The worst waste of money, with no relief at all!"

Hacking (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "A lot of negative reviews here. I find Delsym to be very effective treating my cough. No symptoms of diarrhea at all. Of course I don't take it on an empty stomach. Anyway, pretty good stuff in my opinion."

Franko719 March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Did absolutely nothing to alleviate my cough. And now I am feeling slightly nauseated. I actually think my cough was better before taking it, as at least the hacking was removing phlegm. Now it's a useless dry cough that is just as painful to my poor abused ribs. Thankfully haven't noticed any warning signs of diarrhea. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. Overall this product was and unsatisfying waste of my money and time."

Feckitjenkins March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took this for a dry cough. It did make my cough go away. Which was great....but the next day did experience diarrhea. That is what brought me to this review page."

Andipandi13 March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "About an hour after taking the recommended dose for a bad cough, I had massive watery diarrhea. Cough seems to be gone though."

Jay8788 March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Took 5 hours ago. Still coughing. Now I am pooping as well. Came to read reviews because I don't think I could have eaten anything else to cause diarrhea. I'm hoping I don't have 8 hours of stomach issues but it's not looking good. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone but user beware!"

Rachel7 March 3, 2017