User Reviews for Dextromethorphan to treat Cough

Also known as: Delsym, Dry Cough, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief, Cough Syrup DM, Benylin DM, Strepsils Cough Relief, Creomulsion, DexAlone, Dextromethorphan HBr Adult Formula, Vicks Formula 44 Custom Care Dry Cough Suppressant, Calmylin, Strepsils Cough, Robitussin Cough Long-Acting, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief, Buckleys Mixture, Triaminic Long Acting Cough, Tussin Cough Gels (Long Acting), Scot-Tussin Diabetes, Robitussin 12-Hour Cough Relief, Pertussin ES, Babee Cof, Silphen DM, Pertussin DM, Balminil DM, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief for Children & Adults, Novahistine DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Neocitran Thin Strips Cough, Contac Cough, Robafen Cough Liquidgels, Jack & Jill Thin Strips Cough, Bisolvon Dry, Tussinol for Dry Coughs, Dristan DM, Dexi-Tuss, Nucosef DM, Sucrets Cough, Pedia Relief, Creomulsion Children, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Vicks Nature Fusion Cough, Duract Max Strength Cough, Lloydspharmacy Dry Adult Cough, Hold, Robitussin CoughGels Long-Acting, 12 Hour Cough Relief, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough, Vicks Formula 44, ElixSure Cough, Scot-Tussin DM Cough Chasers, Hold DM, Pertussin CS Childrens, Robitussin Children's Cough Long-Acting, St. Joseph Cough Suppressant, PediaCare Children's Long-Acting Cough, Tussin Pediatric, Robafen Pediatric Cough & Cold, Vicks Dayquil Cough …show all brand names

Dextromethorphan Rating Summary

3.9/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 520 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Books · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2019

"I had a bad cough for about 3 weeks due to bronchitis. Delsym eased my cough a little and also made me so tired I fell asleep in spite of the throat irritation. My main complaint is that even though I took one recommended dose only at bedtime, I was half asleep all the next day. "

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Works for about five hours not 12 hours"

Emma · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "I have taken Delsym ever since I was young (for colds) I have asthma so a cold isn’t just a cold for me but every time I have taken it has resulted in nausea, vomiting, extreme dizziness, fast heart beat, and shakiness for about 2 days. I later learned that the ingredient called Dextromethophran was causing this. Anytime I take anything with this it happens. Idk if I’m sensitive to it or allergic."

Pink ranger · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "This medicine did it work for my cough. It made me feel loopy and drunk. It also gave me and my husband diarrhea. Like real real diarrhea. We will never ever take this medicine again."

JR · Taken for 10 years or more May 11, 2019

Vicks Dayquil Cough (dextromethorphan): "This medicine has help me for years and happy to say it has done well."

Heywajda2 · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

"I’ve had a partial dry/mucus-y cough for about a month. My mom suggested Delsym, which I remember taking as a kid, but I don’t remember having issues with it. Twice now, I’ve had hot flashes/panic attacks (the first time I thought it had a negative reaction with a natural supplement), diarrhea and jittery feelings. I’ll just deal with the cough."

Suzy · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Took 1 cap of Delsym 12 hour cough syrup for my cough and 3 hours later had diarrhea like never before. Explosive!! First and last time I will ever take it!"

Chickadee · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took Delsym once and didn't help cough, decided to try a second dose more than 12 hours later still no help, but now have explosive diarrhea. (Not ideal when you have a bad cough!) Would not recommend."

Dhaval April 2, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took this syrup after my dinner and woke up with heavy head and dizziness and it only got worse by the afternoon. To an extent that if I close my eyes everything will start spinning. Its more than 24 hours now and I am still facing this issue. Will never recommend this to anyone."

Cherry Bomb Numb er · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

Sucrets Cough (dextromethorphan): "This cough drop is a lot better than regular cough drops, it numbs your throat and tongue....kind of feels like the dentist numb thing you get when you get a filling, so don't really like the feeling, but for helping to soothe the sharp pain in your throat, it will do the trick. The initial taste was really good too almost like a Ludent Cherry candy."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 18, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Bought it for cough, took it at 10pm tonight & my nose is running/burning, eyes watery & burning. I can't take anything till 10am comes. Not happy & still have cough too."

AmyMinn · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

"I thought I was going crazy till I read the reviews here. Dextromethorphan did work pretty well on my cough, but caused nausea, diarrhea, and a near panic attack. I have an anxiety disorder, and I wish I’d known about the possible effects on mood before taking it."

Mom of three · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "This medicine is a joke! Doesn't work at all!!"

Pregnant Alien · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

Tussin Pediatric (dextromethorphan): "HORRIFYING. I am 18wks pregnant, took the recommended dose of child’s Tussin at 10pm for the beginnings of a cough. Woke up at midnight with severe stomach cramps and the most insane and painful explosive diarrhea I have ever heard of!!! I thought I was miscarrying, but nope! Just reacting to the cough syrup... PS, used this one month ago and it worked fine, no reaction at all. :("

els March 10, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Delsym was awful. It did cause explosive diarrhea, which I did not need on top of already being sick with a chest cold. I've never had such bad diarrhea."

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "First time trying this cough medicine. Had a persistent cough for more than 2 weeks so I decided to try it as I hadn’t been sleeping well due to my persistent coughing. The medicine works great on getting rid of the cough however it comes with the side affect of feeling drunk yet high at the same time. I am very lethergic initially an hour after taking it. However, then I have this mental clarity phase where I become very focus and productive about 5 to 6 hours after taking the medicine. I will continue to use it for my cough as it works and because I don’t mind the side affects."

Skinni · Taken for less than 1 month February 25, 2019

"I have had a dry cough for over a week. I saw the ad for this cough suppressant so I bought it. I noticed no coughing almost immediately but only lasted about an hour. I went to bed and at midnight woke up to use the bathroom. I thought my guts fell out. The nausea and diarrhea, was so intense, I thought I had food poisoning. I wish I had reviewed this product before buying it. I never would."

Texangirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "The medicine works really, really well. I took it at 7:30am before work and have not coughed and its almost noon. HOWEVER, the medicine has made me super dizzy and loopy. I almost feel like I am borderline drunk. My fingers are also numb and cold but that's going away as the time goes on. I love this medicine and this is the first time I have ever experienced these symptoms."

Ya don't take this · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Learned the hard way that this stuff causes explosive diarrhea. I wouldn't take this if you have any plans for the rest of the day. Honestly not sure if it really even helped with my cough or if I was just getting better with time. Wish I looked into it more earlier on instead of waiting. It feels like they have added the active ingredient for miralax in a drug designed for already sick people?"

Maria · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Helped with the dry cough I was having for over 1 month. Robitussin didn't help at all and as soon as I took Delsym it helped me sleep through the night and no more dry cough. It actually loosened the mucus and I could actually cough phlegm. So thankful for this OTC medicine!"

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "I started taking this medicine a week ago for a sinus infection related cough. I noticed more anxiety and doing a lot of running to the bathroom. I thought it was from just being sick and taking an antibiotic. Tonight I took a dose and within 30 minutes I experienced extreme nausea. I found this site and it all makes sense now! No more Delsym for me!"

Ree January 24, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I have no complaints about delsym medicine. It always work great for my colds. However, it’s the orange cup that is very hard to see the dosage prescribed. I suggest either bolding the dosage in black letters or a different color cup. Hard on the eyes for people like me with eye conditions."

Made me feel weird January 19, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took Delsym for my allergies. It worked really good the first two days. But on the third day it made me feel like I was drunk or high, not really dizzy. I was disoriented and couldn’t focus and my mind was all over the place. I thought that maybe I had just not eaten enough that day or something, but after seeing the reviews I guess other people experienced this too."

Rich · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Recommended by Pharmacist for persistent dry cough. Took about 1 hour to notice any difference. Then it seemed to virtually stop the cough. I stuck to the twice a day measuring cup instructions and was very pleased with the result. It did not completely stop the cough but stopped it being a constant problem. Would recommend for dry coughs. None of the drowsiness that some other cough medicines induce."

Anonymous January 13, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "It's does stop the coughing but the SEVERE CRAMPING, diarrhea, and dizziness are not worth it! I was 2 days in before I realized that those symptoms weren't part of my flu.... It was the Delsym! BEWARE!!!"

Learn more about Cough

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)