User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, Creomulsion Children, ...show all 62 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Dextromethorphan Rating Summary

4.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 688 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan to treat Cough

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Went to urgent care and the doctor recommended Delsym he warned me it can cause diarrhea so to take Imodium with it to counteract it. It definitely helped suppress the cough, and tasted much better than NyQuil. (That contains Benadryl & Tylenol)"

Laura_Pea January 14, 2017

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "This helped suppress my cough from a cold but gave me diarrhea. Diarrhea seems to happen with all similar medicines."

Cookie - age 33 January 14, 2017

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I have a hard time believing that there are so many people that are claiming diarrhea. I had no such experience. It also calmes my cough. I have IBS, which affects the bowels very easily. I have also known other people that have used Delsym and nobody has had this happen to them. It tastes better and really works. I have to say I suspect 1 or 2 people that had a bad experience have written multiple times too warn others. I hope people are going to more than one site to get reviews."

KatrinaCeleste January 12, 2017

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took this late at night expecting it to work and I should have read the reviews first it didn't stop my cough at all and I think made it worse I ended up just sucking on a cough drop which worked better than this. It is now 5:30am and my stomach feels twisted like I'm going to vomit but I don't have anything to vomit because I haven't eaten anything and it has to be the cough syrup because I have had the cough drops before. I'm never going to use this medicine again."

Liv_ January 12, 2017

"Horrible, waste of money!!! It did not work, my Dr says its trash!!!"

msmith217 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "I gave this product to my 5 year old who has been battling nighttime coughs after getting over a never-ending cold. Within 2 hours, he was vomiting. This went on for 3 more hours. Shortly after that, he started complaining of stomach pains and the need to poop. He unfortunately still has the cough and I feel like a terrible momma for not checking the side effects first. I'd rather deal with him coughing than to put him through this ever again!"

G!NgeR January 9, 2017

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "This medicine shouldn't even get a 1. Hopefully you were smart and read the reviews before taking because I didn't. First night I took it, I woke up in the morning and vomited three times. Continued to take it the following day (thought the vomiting was due to something I ate) and continued to vomit. I will never take again."

Lyons955 January 9, 2017

"This is my second day taking this medicine my stomach hurt a little I have a horrible cough so bad I want to jump out my body. My cough is non stop I used this medicine and it slowed my cough a great amount I was shocked. I still cough some though I give it a 8"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

"My husband got me some Delsym (purple kind) for a horrific, barking cough I had. (It was so bad he tried to talk me into going to the ER) After 30 minutes, I actually slept through the entire night, with only 1-2 instances of a cough. I took it 2 nights in a row & each night I slept the entire night with little to no coughing. I've been reading all the reviews, to see if anyone had the same weird feeling in their chest as I did, but from what I see, most people have had issues with diarrhea. I had NO issues with the Big "D" at all. None. Just a weird feeling in my chest/throat area, like a numbness or pressure. Could have just been from all the coughing I had done & was finally able to get a break."

Sarafina73 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

"I took Delsym grape flavor liquid 12hr, about an hour after I had a final coughing fit. About two hours after I started having very watery diarrhea. Fifth hour in and I am still having diarrhea but no cough. I will never take this again!! Not worth it!"

Never7989 January 3, 2017

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Due to a medical condition I was told this was the safest cough suppressant for me to take. I took it before bed and woke up in the middle of the night extremely nauseous. Although it did suppress my cough I can do without the nausea !"

Teecher (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Do NOT use this product! I have given this to my children when they were younger but have never taken it myself. Had a cough, decided to try it. (Only had a yogurt early in the morning) took Delsym at noonish. Made a sandwich around 1:30 or so. Mid-sandwich.....I literally pooped my pants!!! I had to run to the bathroom where I suffered w raging diarrhea!! I hadn't had a stomach ache or any symptoms prior. For the rest of the day I haven't eaten or really drank. It's now 6:10 and I'm sipping on water and at times feel like I could vomit. Stomach still gurgling. Something made me look up if Delsym could cause this and I see so many other similar reviews. I will never take it again"

Never Again ever December 29, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I read all these reviews and decided to try it thinking it might work but I was wrong. Do. Not. Take it. First of all it barely helped my cough at all, some tea and honey could've done better than this. In fact I think my cough got even worse. That part that was most upsetting was when I woke up feeling nauseous. I ignored it and next day took it again and I got EXTREMELY light headed, just crazy dizzy. And then I got the diarrhea afterwards....I just felt confused and out of it. This medicine is absolute trash and I don't recommend taking it at all. I usually don't even write reviews either so that should tell you something. 18f"

enicidemyttihs (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I had a very bad cold to the point of settling in my chest. I took Delsym 12 hour to help. I couldn't believe it really worked to keep my cough at bay, but I started to have severe side effects from it. I had dizziness like I was going to blackout, heart palpitations, SOB (shortness of breath), diarrhea and vomiting at the same time (sitting on toilet and holding a bucket at the same time wanting to pass out from the dehydration). Never again, I'll stick with Creomulsion."

FMG54 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2016

"DIARRHEA. Remember that word, because if you take this stuff, you will be suddenly awaken during the middle of the night and forced to wreak havoc on your toilet bowl. I just blew up my toilet 45 min ago and am getting ready to pay it another visit as I write this. If you are reading this review, take my advice: use something else. My cough was bad, but I would have gladly kept it if I knew my butt was going to turn into Niagara Falls."

J38 (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I'm sick and have a constant barking cough that's mostly unproductive. I read reviews on amazon to find a good OTC cough suppressant. Delsym had rave reviews. I had hubby pick up the orange. I can say that my coughing has stopped. Delsym absolutely stops the coughing. It's quite wonderful. What's not wonderful are the three bouts of explosive diarrhea I have had since taking it three hours ago. There's more to come as my stomach is still gurgling. This is the really bad stuff. Thank goodness it stops the coughing because if I coughed right now, I'd have diarrhea all over the bed. The medicine DOES stop the coughing, but it's not worth this kind of diarrhea."

Furrawn (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

"After taking cough DM I have experienced extreme diarrhea and it is very unpleasant I have not taken cough DM on an empty stomach although I had taken it in the morning and it is giving me the same experience every time"

Davyyy December 3, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "you will poo your pants within 1 hr of taking this product"

loljghj (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Developed a cold that just wouldn't go away and that turned into a cough. Took Vicks, Mucinex, NyQuill, but nothing controlled the cough well. Decided to try Delsym and while it did control the cough much better than the others, I woke up in the early hours of the morning with extreme diarrhea, awful awful cramping, and sweating to death...I literally sat on the toilet for an hour dry heaving because the pain was so bad. It was terrible. For the next 24hrs my stomach just hurt trying to recover. I only thought I had gotten minor food poisoning but this morning when I had just liquid bowel movements again I decided to search reviews since that's the only thing that has changed...am definitely going to stop taking...."

CoughATL (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2016

"Using delsym orange liquid. Suppresses cough. Tastes way better than DayQuil and robotussin syrups. Raging diarrhea, lack of appetite, vertigo, chills. Really not worth it just for a cold, but I have reached the point in my cold that if I cough or sneeze too hard that I pee. Now I get to choose between pee or poo."

Pinkbudds November 22, 2016

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Best cough medicine in the market I was having cough from a week but after l took I dose I dint had any cough next day I read lot of reviews about the medicine some guys got diahhrea don't take any medicines lf you have so weak digestive system next time take lemon tea your cough will go . This is a good medicine don't tell them to reduce the real power of medicine"

Situ (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2016

"helped with my cough. I had it for 3 days and had diarrhea all the way.......horrible"

diarrhea explosion (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

"Very effective for cough but did have the side effect of diarrhea...if I had to be out of the house or had to go to work, I would think twice before taking Delsym!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Took this as a cold medicine because I can't stop coughing. Was all fine and dandy and went out to dinner. Halfway there I had to stop because I felt gurgling in my stomach. Sure enough- diarrhea. I should have listened to the reviews- do NOT take this medicine."

Upset Tummy :/ (taken for less than 1 month) November 7, 2016

Dristan DM (dextromethorphan): "It's been years since I've taken any robitussin. I should have stayed with just the Tussin This was Robitussin DM nighttime , but has the same active ingredient of detromethorpiphan. I did not have much in my stomach so that may have been the problem. But it's been 24 hours and I still have diarrhea, but it was worst while sleeping ando waking up after it was too late....FOUR times. That has never happened to me in my life. The cough syrup was the only new thing. I've been dehydrated all day, drinking Pedia late and rice and bananas. At least I'm making it to the bathroom. Never again! Ugh! Remember, your small intestines are 22 ft long, so it could take 2 days to get out of you system! Not ever taking the chance again"

JaneZEE October 26, 2016