User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: 12 Hour Cough Relief, Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, ...show all 63 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Dextromethorphan Rating Summary

4.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 683 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Dextromethorphan to treat Cough

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Waste of money No relief at all"

Karen1968 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "After having a nasty cold/cough for 5 days I had to do something, I was getting tired of sleeping in a recliner so I decided to give Delsym a try. Now it did help with the dry cough, I was still woken up to the gasping painful coughs but it was better than being awake almost all night long. I do have ibs-d and Delsym made me be in the bathroom most of the morning and it gave me the hang over headache. So Yes it did stop most of my coughing but who wants to spend the next day in the bathroom bent over in pain from cough syrup."

MartineL (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Worked great for day and night time relief! Went from a wicked dry cough to hours of cough-free rest. Its awesome and very effective."

Megan's cough March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "The worst waste of money, with no relief at all!"

Hacking (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "A lot of negative reviews here. I find Delsym to be very effective treating my cough. No symptoms of diarrhea at all. Of course I don't take it on an empty stomach. Anyway, pretty good stuff in my opinion."

Franko719 March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Did absolutely nothing to alleviate my cough. And now I am feeling slightly nauseated. I actually think my cough was better before taking it, as at least the hacking was removing phlegm. Now it's a useless dry cough that is just as painful to my poor abused ribs. Thankfully haven't noticed any warning signs of diarrhea. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. Overall this product was and unsatisfying waste of my money and time."

Feckitjenkins March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took this for a dry cough. It did make my cough go away. Which was great....but the next day did experience diarrhea. That is what brought me to this review page."

Andipandi13 March 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "About an hour after taking the recommended dose for a bad cough, I had massive watery diarrhea. Cough seems to be gone though."

Jay8788 March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Took 5 hours ago. Still coughing. Now I am pooping as well. Came to read reviews because I don't think I could have eaten anything else to cause diarrhea. I'm hoping I don't have 8 hours of stomach issues but it's not looking good. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone but user beware!"

Rachel7 March 3, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "My son's cough is WORSE after taking this. Not suppressing at all."

JM1825 March 1, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "First off, it tasted awful. Secondly, I thought I was dying on my bathroom floor an hour after taking it. It gave me chills, extreme nausea, diarrhea and dizziness. Double checked the expiration date to see if that had something to do with it, nope. My cough is calm but it's not worth fighting nausea and dizziness four hours later. I will never take this medicine again."

kyraaaaaa February 25, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "This stuff is useless, in fact I am coughing more and worse after taking it. Thank goodness I only bought a small bottle, since it is kind of expensive for something that does not work at all. Will never take this garbage again."

still coughing February 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Well it stopped my cough...but it also gave me extremely watery diarrhea that had me running to the bathroom every 10-30 minutes for hours and hours. It must have been at least 8 hours before my stomach calmed down. It left me feeling dehydrated and sick, but hey. At least my cough was gone, right?"

Tomjjc February 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Actually went on here to see if sudden onset nausea and diarrhea after 3 hours of taking it was a symptom and lo and behold half the people on here saying the same thing. Be careful I took this, had no change in my cough, felt like I needed to vomit for an hour and then had diarrhea. Looks like some people just cant stomach it."

Andy Masor February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I took for a constant, deep barking cough. I worked quickly and well, calming my cough and allowing me to get sleep. However, it makes me incredibly drowsy - way worse then unisom. There was also bit of dizziness. I did not have any gastrointestinal side effects. I will use it again but only at night since it knocks me out"

ClaireA (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "Took Delsym 12 hour cough and after about 2 hours got terrible stomach pains and diarrhea. It wasn't very good at suppressing my cough either! Be warned, I would never take it again!"

TheKarma (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took Delsym for a cough that was bothering me. It didn't stop the cough, but within a half hour I had terrible diarrhea. At first I didn't make the connection, but the next morning I tried it again and got the same results. It's a waste of money, and there are no redeeming qualities to it."

kashline1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I bought this for a cough for my bronchitis. It is beyond worthless. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. I called my doctor for a prescription for Robitussin with Codeine and it was $5.00 cheaper and very effective. (generic-of course)"

mexrph February 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan): "The label with dosage information is not clear. Under the last bottle I bought, the label was very clear: 10 ml not to exceed 6 doses per day. The new bottle dosage says: 20 ml every 12 hours. So which is it? 10 as needed, or 20 every 12 hours. Plus the direction information is under one of those "peel corner..." tabs. It is very difficult to peel the corner off without destroying the dosage information and directions. I had to call a pharmacist to get an answer as to how much I should take. First pharmacist said 2 Tbls = 10 ml. Then another said 2 tsp = 10 ml. Very confusing label."

S Dunn February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "I went to my pharmacy and I asked the pharmacist what can she recommend for a dry cough she said its Delsym. I tell you you will be drowsy....so I didn't mind at all because its a good thing for me I can sleep. When I took it I was waiting to see if it was effective - to my surprise I keep coughing the whole night as if I didn't take any medications....so if a cough product doesn't work for an adult - you shouldn't recommend it.....waste of money!"

Coughing Lady (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Vicks Formula 44 (dextromethorphan): "I have tried this formula the plain Vicks 44 for the past year and a half. It helps and is better than others on the market but just does not do the job like the formulas 44D and 44M . I would rate the D formula as the best ever made and then the M formula the next best with that making the plain 44 as the bottom product. But now I can't even find the straight 44 formula at the places to shop in my town. So I came on line to find out if I could order it online."

delda (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "My 4 year old had major diarrhea after taking this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "Took this medicine at 7:00pm, recommended by the pharmacist, but still I'm coughing like crazy from a cold and sinus problem. Not sure if I want to hold my breath for another 10.5 hours? Hopefully this will help someone else, and I'm going to return this tomorrow."

Gregoryk February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "It definitely helped my cough but I did have some minor stomach problems with it and I did feel kind of light-headed at times. Not like I was going to be dizzy or pass out but just kind of odd."

Genie50 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan): "About 15 minutes after taking exactly the dose indicated, I fainted and cracked my head on the floor resulting in a brain hemorrhage! Several tests were done in the hospital to rule out any other reason for fainting. The only conclusion is that I had a severe reaction to the ingredient in this cough medicine. Be careful!! Read all the reviews BEFORE taking this medicine!"

Brain Injury!! (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017