User Reviews for Vicodin

Vicodin has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 141 ratings on Drugs.com. 73% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 13% reported a negative experience.

Pain
9.6
Summary of Vicodin reviews 7.8 141 reviews

Reviews for Vicodin

Anonymous · October 27, 2009

For Pain: “I started taking this after my knee surgery, I found it to be be great. My recovery time was fast. I had no pain and lot's of energy. It started with 3 or 4 pills a day then after that it got to be 5 or 6 a day. I then had foot surgery. I had to take more for the pain to go away. This went on for 5 years. By the time I got help I was taking 20 to 25 pills A DAY. I now know that God is watching over me because if he wasn't I wouldn't be here now. I am now off of all pain killers but it took a lot of hard work. I'm letting you know this because it creeps up on you before you even know it. Vicodin may help you at first and you may be able to control it. I thought I could. I'm just asking you please be careful with this medicine.”

Dee · Taken for 5 to 10 years · May 15, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I was born with a gene called hlab27+ . I have arthritis and consecutive tissue disorder. As a child I tried to play but got tired and too painful to stay up for long periods of time. I stayed in bed a lot. I tried to ride bikes with my friends as a teen but struggled. Until a Dr put me on pain meds in my 40s that I felt relief for the first time. Now the medical field is trying to reverse back. They need to hear the other side of the people that have been helped. It is not our fault if people are misusing their medication. I really do not believe this is the cause of the epidemic. Drunk drivers are caused by drinking too much and driving. If you don't over drink and you don't drive while drinking then there's no issue. Same thing here. I truly had no life before this pain medicine”

AWM · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 15, 2021

For Pain: “Was just Rx’d 10/325 Vicodin from tris manufacturing. I recently found out I had several bulging disc and one herniated disc that pinched a nerve causing cervical radiculopathy . Worse pain I’ve ever experienced. I thought maybe I was given the wrong medication because I was still in agony several hours later. I don’t take these meds on a regular basis, in fact it’s been years for me. I thought I was crazy until I looked up these complaints. This terrifies me. If I end up needing surgery and this is what I get for pain relief I’m in big trouble. Something needs to be done.”

Anonymous · February 17, 2011

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “I am 28 and have severe RA and fibromyalgia. I was on Darvocet which worked good. But then that was taken off the market. I've been on Vicodin for a little while now and it works wonders for me. Which is great since I'm up chasing my 5 yr old all day. It's the only other medicine I've tried that actually works.”

Robert Lee C · Taken for 10 years or more · April 7, 2016

For Pain: “I had knee surgery in 2001. The surgeon screwed up a nerve and I have been in chronic pain (24/7) since. Vicodin works better than anything else I've tried, including morphine. Without it, I am in pain and can't sleep at night. I can now understand why people commit suicide because they can't take the pain anymore.”

SueW · Taken for 10 years or more · May 9, 2018

For Back Pain: “I had been on Vicodin off and on for the last twelve years until recently. My doctor will no longer prescribe this for me because of all the addiction news that is going on with the government. I have had 2 spinal fusions in the past 15 years and never abused the drug nor had any addiction problems. It is the only medicine that helped my pain. I have not found anything to replace it. I now take 4 Motrin at a time along with a herbal supplement called Kratom. This lessens the pain somewhat but am still in severe pain at times. I had no noticeable side effects from the Vicodin.”

Anonymous · June 23, 2008

For Cough: “I had been prescribed this for pain but had caught a cold. I read that hydrocodone is used for cough, so I tried it. I had one of those coughs that just doesn't let up and makes you nuts because you can't sleep, eat, talk, etc. Within a half hour of taking a Vicodin 10, I finally stopped coughing uncontrollably. It worked better than the codeine I had taken years ago for cough. I only needed it for 2 days for the cough and it was a lifesaver.”

Daxton · March 30, 2013

For Pain: “Over the year's (I'm 75 now), I have used Vicodin 5/325mg for a range of things: had stable fracture of spine after a fall, broke one shoulder in 3 places, and the other a couple year's ago. Have chronic back pain and if gets bad get an prescription for it. A few surgeries: prostate, hernia, gall bladder, several dental procedures/surgeries. In each and every one of the mentioned cases, the Vicodin has been the pain management of choice. It frustrates me, that after a doctor prescribed a couple of times, they are reluctant to further prescribe, siting the addiction factor. I've heard that doctor's tend to UNDER PRESCRIBE because of this.”

Second herniation L5-S1 · Taken for less than 1 month · August 26, 2020

For Back Pain: “8 years ago I had discectomy surgery on my L5-S1 disc. The surgeon was hopeful that I wouldn’t need additional surgery. 8 years later I ruptured the same disc. I live with excruciating pain every day especially during the evening hours when my back has said that it’s finally had enough for the day. I take the Vicodin only in the evening and it help tremendously. I’m also taking Gabapentin and Baclofen. The combination of these medications makes my life bearable. However, if I miss taking the meds on schedule then I’m in severe pain. The Vicodin works amazingly. The only issue I have with it is that it wakes me up and makes me feel more aware and motivated. At night this can be a difficult thing because I then want to work on projects and get things done. Sometimes I don’t go to bed until the early hours and that’s not good for my health. Otherwise I think Vicodin is a wonderful pain reliever for my back pain and sciatica.”

annie_1962 · March 21, 2013

For Back Pain: “I have been diagnosed with severe chronic pain due to herniated disc which causes sciatica. I have tried everything over the counter... NOTHING WORKS. Yet, one Vicodin and the pain finally went away. Unfortunately only temporary.”

satsukosan · March 25, 2015

For Pain: “I'm 80 years old with chronic back pain. I've been taking 5/335 Vicodin for 6 months. It's been great. I really recommend it. It has made my life so much better. I'm not worried about addiction at my age.”

praisetheking · March 20, 2008

For Pain: “My wisdom teeth are impacted and I have several cavities and I am waiting to have surgery. My doctor prescribed Vicodin for the pain and it works very well as long as I continue taking it every 6 hours. I can tell when the medication wears off, because my jaw starts to throb.”

Anonymous · June 24, 2011

For Back Pain: “Works well to treat moderate pain and increase flexibility. If new to usage you can expect a "head buzz" but with continued usage the euphoria dissipates, but the pharmaceutical effects remain. Does tend to cause constipation, but by comparison to some other pain killers out there, it is far more manageable. Prescribed to me with muscle relaxers, but the muscle relaxers make me too sleepy to function.”

Truly Amazed · December 6, 2015

For Pain: “This is one of the most amazing medicines; and, when used correctly, can neutralize body pain and help you feel like normal again. Also, it is one of the only medicines on the market that does not make me feel loopy and can function effectively on it. Before taking this I had hip, shoulder, back and foot pain/arthritis and was unable to walk on my foot for several months before getting this medicine. all good now!”

Johny · Taken for 1 to 2 years · August 27, 2020

For Back Pain: “After an injury a I got a prescription for 60 tablets of Vicodin. The old class I mean. 500/5. After one tablet I felt almost no relief. After tho Vicodins my pain goes away within 30 minutes. I am pain free for good 5 hours. I feel a little happy, drowsy.. constipated a little.”

Anonymous · March 15, 2012

For Back Pain: “I have an Arnold Chiari. And severe scolosis and ruptured disc at L4 L5. Vicodin is the only thing that gives me relief. I've tried just about every other pain pill out there and its been the best for me. Doctors in my area don't like to perscribe it because of the addiction issue. This really hurts the people who really need it.”

gail ann holzmacher · December 10, 2009

For Pain: “I've taken Vicodin for 12 years for severe migraines and endometriosis and back and neck pain from a car accident. I take 3 per day and it allows me to hold a full time job, without it I don't function due to pain or stand straight even. Prior to that I was fired from jobs due to constant calling in due to pain from all my problems. I am not addicted at only 3 per day but if people are pain-free they will be happier, hold full time jobs, interact with spouse via saving their marriage, also interacting with their children via having better well rounded kids who have a loving outgoing parent or parents, many benefits to this pill. I claim it to be a MIRACLE pill. Doctors have tried me on everything known to man, this is only thing that works.”

Anonymous · February 20, 2009

For Pain: “I have spinal stenosis and take Vicodin 7.5/500 6-8 times a day it has taken the pain away. No side effects. Doctor says it will make me sleepy but I find is it keeps me awake. Been on it for 3 years and it's the only thing that lets me live a pain free day.”

3D · Taken for 10 years or more · May 19, 2013

For Pain: “I have been dealing with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis since 2003. A rare form of the disease that only affects 10% of the MS community. Many people know someone with MS, but very few with this form. To this day I have been repeatedly reminded by the medical society there are no known medications to treat this condition. Vicodin 10/660 has helped with the variety of MS pains and has also eased the mental stress and allowed me to think clearer. I have been allowed to try everything in stock but always come back here. I have not drank alcohol this entire time frame and use Miralax daily to avoid constipation. Hope this helps and God bless.”

grif · Taken for 10 years or more · March 4, 2018

For Pain: “I was in a head on collision with a cattle truck when I was 30 years old. I'm 66 now. I since have had six joint replacements and multiple other surgeries to repair multiple fractures in both femurs and other bones. I have used vicotin 7.5/325 for 30 years and found that it is extremely helpful. It does not interfere with my productivity, concentration, agility, or other impairment. I'm horrified to have it taken away after responsible long term use.”

Was always in pain · August 18, 2015

For Pain: “Over the past two and a half years since I had major shoulder surgery the recovery has been slow. I've recently been diagnosed with arthritis and C6-7 cervical degenerative disc disease with C5-6 and C6-7 narrowing of the neural foramen. I was prescribed naproxen at one point which helped a little. I was taken off of it due to the amount I was taking a day. Up to 3200mg. I was also prescribed ambien because I couldn't sleep because of the pain. I started to sleep walk on four different occasions where my wife found me elsewhere from where I went to sleep. I called my doc and he took me off and I was prescribed hydrocodone and acetaminophen combo. That was the best thing that could have happened for me. I'm no longer in constant pain.”

Anonymous · May 19, 2008

For Pain: “I recently had an accident where a board hit the side of my ankle at a racing speed. About 20mph impact to my ankle, and a broken cuboid, 2 torn ligaments, and a broken ankle cap. I was prescribed (M37) Vicodin. I take it 3 times a day and I live pain-free. But one side affect ive noticed is constipation. Sounds funny but its true, taking vicodin on an empty stomach avoids this.”

CG3 · April 14, 2008

For Pain: “I am 22 years old and have had 2 micro-disc surgeries on the L5. The first on 1/19/04, the second on 7/19/04. I'm 5'10" 125lbs. For a couple years I relied heavily on Ibuprofen due to lack of insurance, and was taking 8-16 a day depending on weather conditions and working conditions. I now have insurance and have been taking vicodin 500mg up to 3 times a day for almost a year now and live a more painfree life.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · October 18, 2021

For Pain: “Vicodin : it is useless as all get out for pain; I find it absolutely insane and hilarious how this is the most commonly abused opioid in the United States of America. I mean I cannot wrap my mind around how this is as worth it compared to placebos. I am like, how in the dang world is Vicodin abused.”

Arthritis pain in the neck · June 22, 2015

For Pain: “I've been prescribed different meds for the chronic arthritis pain in my neck and only Vicodin helps with pain and it allows me to sleep comfortably at night and get through my days at work. I use only the prescribed amount at it works wonders for me.”