User Reviews for Vicodin to treat Pain

Vicodin has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 104 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 72% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Vicodin Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 1438 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Vicodin

Anonymous October 27, 2009

“I started taking this after my knee surgery, I found it to be be great. My recovery time was fast. I had no pain and lot's of energy. It started with 3 or 4 pills a day then after that it got to be 5 or 6 a day. I then had foot surgery. I had to take more for the pain to go away. This went on for 5 years. By the time I got help I was taking 20 to 25 pills A DAY. I now know that God is watching over me because if he wasn't I wouldn't be here now. I am now off of all pain killers but it took a lot of hard work. I'm letting you know this because it creeps up on you before you even know it. Vicodin may help you at first and you may be able to control it. I thought I could. I'm just asking you please be careful with this medicine.”

AWM · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2021

“Was just Rx’d 10/325 Vicodin from tris manufacturing. I recently found out I had several bulging disc and one herniated disc that pinched a nerve causing cervical radiculopathy . Worse pain I’ve ever experienced. I thought maybe I was given the wrong medication because I was still in agony several hours later. I don’t take these meds on a regular basis, in fact it’s been years for me. I thought I was crazy until I looked up these complaints. This terrifies me. If I end up needing surgery and this is what I get for pain relief I’m in big trouble. Something needs to be done.”

Robert Lee C · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2016

“I had knee surgery in 2001. The surgeon screwed up a nerve and I have been in chronic pain (24/7) since. Vicodin works better than anything else I've tried, including morphine. Without it, I am in pain and can't sleep at night. I can now understand why people commit suicide because they can't take the pain anymore.”

praisetheking March 20, 2008

“My wisdom teeth are impacted and I have several cavities and I am waiting to have surgery. My doctor prescribed Vicodin for the pain and it works very well as long as I continue taking it every 6 hours. I can tell when the medication wears off, because my jaw starts to throb.”

Daxton March 30, 2013

“Over the year's (I'm 75 now), I have used Vicodin 5/325mg for a range of things: had stable fracture of spine after a fall, broke one shoulder in 3 places, and the other a couple year's ago. Have chronic back pain and if gets bad get an prescription for it. A few surgeries: prostate, hernia, gall bladder, several dental procedures/surgeries. In each and every one of the mentioned cases, the Vicodin has been the pain management of choice. It frustrates me, that after a doctor prescribed a couple of times, they are reluctant to further prescribe, siting the addiction factor. I've heard that doctor's tend to UNDER PRESCRIBE because of this.”

Anonymous May 19, 2008

“I recently had an accident where a board hit the side of my ankle at a racing speed. About 20mph impact to my ankle, and a broken cuboid, 2 torn ligaments, and a broken ankle cap. I was prescribed (M37) Vicodin. I take it 3 times a day and I live pain-free. But one side affect ive noticed is constipation. Sounds funny but its true, taking vicodin on an empty stomach avoids this.”

Anonymous February 20, 2009

“I have spinal stenosis and take Vicodin 7.5/500 6-8 times a day it has taken the pain away. No side effects. Doctor says it will make me sleepy but I find is it keeps me awake. Been on it for 3 years and it's the only thing that lets me live a pain free day.”

Gr8olbroad May 27, 2008

“I took it (2 a day) for a few weeks for a compression fracture and it helped not only that but the constant arthritis in the lower back. I also took it some years ago, knowing only the generic name and not associating it with 'Vicodin', for shingles. Nothing short of heroin can eliminate shingles pain, but this did a pretty good job without any sign of physical dependence. I will request a continuing prescription just for the arthritis.”

gail ann holzmacher December 10, 2009

“I've taken Vicodin for 12 years for severe migraines and endometriosis and back and neck pain from a car accident. I take 3 per day and it allows me to hold a full time job, without it I don't function due to pain or stand straight even. Prior to that I was fired from jobs due to constant calling in due to pain from all my problems. I am not addicted at only 3 per day but if people are pain-free they will be happier, hold full time jobs, interact with spouse via saving their marriage, also interacting with their children via having better well rounded kids who have a loving outgoing parent or parents, many benefits to this pill. I claim it to be a MIRACLE pill. Doctors have tried me on everything known to man, this is only thing that works.”

satsukosan March 25, 2015

“I'm 80 years old with chronic back pain. I've been taking 5/335 Vicodin for 6 months. It's been great. I really recommend it. It has made my life so much better. I'm not worried about addiction at my age.”

Anonymous April 22, 2008

“I was in a serious car accident and severely injured my leg. It was put back together by metal but I am in chronic pain. I currently take Vicodin ES and live a pain free life. This medication is extremly helpful in allowing me to lead a normal life.”

Truly Amazed December 6, 2015

“This is one of the most amazing medicines; and, when used correctly, can neutralize body pain and help you feel like normal again. Also, it is one of the only medicines on the market that does not make me feel loopy and can function effectively on it. Before taking this I had hip, shoulder, back and foot pain/arthritis and was unable to walk on my foot for several months before getting this medicine. all good now!”

grif · Taken for 10 years or more March 4, 2018

“I was in a head on collision with a cattle truck when I was 30 years old. I'm 66 now. I since have had six joint replacements and multiple other surgeries to repair multiple fractures in both femurs and other bones. I have used vicotin 7.5/325 for 30 years and found that it is extremely helpful. It does not interfere with my productivity, concentration, agility, or other impairment. I'm horrified to have it taken away after responsible long term use.”

3D · Taken for 10 years or more May 19, 2013

“I have been dealing with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis since 2003. A rare form of the disease that only affects 10% of the MS community. Many people know someone with MS, but very few with this form. To this day I have been repeatedly reminded by the medical society there are no known medications to treat this condition. Vicodin 10/660 has helped with the variety of MS pains and has also eased the mental stress and allowed me to think clearer. I have been allowed to try everything in stock but always come back here. I have not drank alcohol this entire time frame and use Miralax daily to avoid constipation. Hope this helps and God bless.”

Was always in pain August 18, 2015

“Over the past two and a half years since I had major shoulder surgery the recovery has been slow. I've recently been diagnosed with arthritis and C6-7 cervical degenerative disc disease with C5-6 and C6-7 narrowing of the neural foramen. I was prescribed naproxen at one point which helped a little. I was taken off of it due to the amount I was taking a day. Up to 3200mg. I was also prescribed ambien because I couldn't sleep because of the pain. I started to sleep walk on four different occasions where my wife found me elsewhere from where I went to sleep. I called my doc and he took me off and I was prescribed hydrocodone and acetaminophen combo. That was the best thing that could have happened for me. I'm no longer in constant pain.”

Arthritis pain in the neck June 22, 2015

“I've been prescribed different meds for the chronic arthritis pain in my neck and only Vicodin helps with pain and it allows me to sleep comfortably at night and get through my days at work. I use only the prescribed amount at it works wonders for me.”

CG3 April 14, 2008

“I am 22 years old and have had 2 micro-disc surgeries on the L5. The first on 1/19/04, the second on 7/19/04. I'm 5'10" 125lbs. For a couple years I relied heavily on Ibuprofen due to lack of insurance, and was taking 8-16 a day depending on weather conditions and working conditions. I now have insurance and have been taking vicodin 500mg up to 3 times a day for almost a year now and live a more painfree life.”

Anonymous March 10, 2009

“For some reason this is the only pain killer I can tolerate. I have been prescribed different types of medicines and they are either to strong or don't work. The only problem I have is when you tell the doctor this they act like you are a addict, which I am not. I am just telling them what works for me so I don't waste my money on a script that doesn't work. Doctor's can't figure out why I have chronic pain.”

Barbara M. September 17, 2009

“I am a 70 year old woman. I have spinal stenosis. Each day I wake up thinking I won't need to take Vicodin today, but I do. I take 2 when the pain starts and it always takes the pain away. If I wait too long to see if the "PAIN WILL GET BETTER BY ITSELF" I'm only fooling myself. It never gets better by itself! My doctor tells me not to worry about addiction, that he knows how often I take it and he keeps track. So I let him do it.”

Anonymous April 27, 2012

“I am 25 years of age, and I am a chronic pain patient. 3 years ago (2009) I began to feel chronic pain all over my body; more and more as time goes on. There isn't a muscle in my body that doesn't hurt. Vicodin has saved my life! I've been on 8 5mg tablets daily. Were it not for Vicodin, my ability to perform everyday tasks would be severely compromised. Normal activities whether is mowing the lawn, or even getting out of bed are difficult. My pain level ranges between 5-9. Vicodin always takes all the pain away. I highly recommend this medicine if you are seeking relief from chronic pain. ”

Kittenface · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 29, 2016

“The vicodin 10/300 is my last resort for migraines when Frova/Immitrex does not work. I take it with Zofran because I am always nauseated with my migraines and very rarely do I have to take another dose to get rid of the migraine. This medication has saved me from going to the ER numerous times.”

Anonymous January 6, 2009

“WOW! I had oral surgery and when the anesthesia wore off, the whole side of my face hurt worse than any pain I'd ever had before. I couldn't even touch a tissue to my runny nose without going through the roof. Within minutes of taking the Vicodin, not only was the pain gone, but I was able to sleep through the night.”

bubbles58 December 4, 2008

“I am 50 years old and have had severe rheumatoid arthritis for more than 6 years. I was taking Advil like candy for years until I was diagnosed with Arthritis. My 1st Rheumatologist put me on 7.5/750's 3 times daily and it worked well. After changing doctors after major Lung Surgery they sent me to a Pain Management doctor who put me on Duragesics then MS Contin. That sure got rid of the pain, but the depressant effects of Morphine based medications made me miserable. Hydrocodone or even Oxycodone work very well as long as you don't abuse them. I'd wish more Pain Management people would get off the Morphine dependency. This kind of treatment makes it hard to treat pain after major surgeries.”

alankay · Taken for less than 1 month July 5, 2014

“Prescribed this after Wisdom tooth removal. Worked fine with no issues at a fairly low dose. Use the Lowest dose for ONLY as long as needed. Then used Tylenol after that for a few days and all went well. Use these as your doc says only.”

frozen in pain November 25, 2011

“I am in my 40's and have got Frozen Shoulder in my left shoulder. My doctor prescribed Vicodin 5-500mg and it takes the edge off the pain. After the the first prescription of 30 pill were gone I requested a refill my doctor said he would only refill that bottle once more and that is it. Stating that I would have to endure the pain. He did not want me to become addicted. Well I appreciate the concern, but what about my pain? My pills have not run out yet but when they do there will a constant pain. It affects my happiness, work, etc.”