User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: Delsym, Cough Syrup DM, Dry Cough, DexAlone, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief, Vicks Formula 44, Benylin DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Robafen Cough Liquidgels, Bisolvon Dry, Scot-Tussin Diabetes, Robitussin Cough Long-Acting, Babee Cof, Silphen DM, Vicks Formula 44 Custom Care Dry Cough Suppressant, Balminil DM, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief for Children & Adults, Calmylin, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Contac Cough, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Dristan DM, Dexi-Tuss, Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief, Buckleys Mixture, Triaminic Long Acting Cough, Creomulsion Children, Creomulsion, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant Tussin Cough Gels (Long Acting) Vicks Nature Fusion Cough Duract Max Strength Cough Hold Robitussin CoughGels Long-Acting 12 Hour Cough Relief Triaminic Thin Strips Cough Robitussin 12-Hour Cough Relief ElixSure Cough Hold DM Robitussin Children's Cough Long-Acting Dextromethorphan HBr Adult Formula Vicks Dayquil Cough …show all brand names

Cough
3.6

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Charlenevanessa720 · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2021

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Last year my daughter's pediatrician recommended this because she was diagnosed with the flu. Fast forward to this year and week I bought it for my extreme cough and because I couldn't sleep for coughing so much. Well, I took recommended dosage twice and noticed the medicine was making me worse! I have never coughed so much in my life. My body is sore from all the coughing. I obtained a stuffy then runny nose that I didn't have prior to the medicine. My taste and smell left and I have severe diarrhea. I didn't take anymore and my cough is calming down and I can smell and taste again. Not sure what's in this but I highly recommend you steer clear of this cough syrup. I've never had this type of reaction to a cough syrup. Never again will I take this nor give it to my daughter. I would literally cough and sneeze so much at a time I'd get light headed and discombobulated. Buy and try at your own risk!!!!!!”

Kj · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2021

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I just took the recommended 10mg dose for a severe cough that I can’t get rid of. I was actually hopeful that it was doing as intended, my cough went away for all of 7-10 minutes. I don’t know what to think about that, it’s a 12 hour medication. Unfortunately I would not recommend this product.”

swagmonster3000 · Taken for less than 1 month March 2, 2021

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “My mother and I both took 1 dosage of Delsym at night and the next morning we both have been feeling dreadful. We both have been coughing for 2-3 weeks, and felt like we were getting better till we took this medicine. I do NOT recommend this medicine for anyone! 12 hours after taking it I'm feeling very sharp pains in my chest when I breathe and cough. Also along with mild headaches.”

Anonymous July 2, 2012

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I actually came on the site to see if severe diarrhea was a listed side effect. I have taken other products with the same active ingredients and not had this happen. Twice I have taken Delsym, which I buy for my kids, and had severe diarrhea. It must be an sweetener or thickener that they use. That being said, I haven't coughed in hours.”

Delsym runs February 19, 2015

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Delsym is ok at cough suppression, depending on severity, but if you want to have hot liquid diarrhea all night within hours, then this is your medication. It sent me to the toilet faster than the laxatives you take the day before a colonoscopy. And it did not stop until 12 hours later. This is the single most poisonous substance I have ever ingested. ”

AngelaIsMyRealName · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “At the risk of someone thinking I'm the "same person as other posters," I'm Posting my real name. I've had a nagging cough, and chose to try Delsym again, as I've had success in the past with it. I commute 30 miles to work. I got within a mile of my office and coughed.......and pooped all over myself. Yes. Explosive diarrhea in my scrubs! It was awful. I'm sitting in the work parking lot,calling the girls outside since I can't move out of my car! Forward......I'm home but can't get more than twenty minutes away from a toilet. If you take this, trust me, you won't cough, just like it says, for 12 hours. You'll be afraid to. Take something else, please. After all, it has been a terribly shi€€y day for me.”

Sadwife December 7, 2020

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “My husband started using Delsym when he found out how much DXM is in it. He's severely addicted he walks in the stores weren't readily available and steals it he recently just got kicked out of rehab for having 10 bottles in his room he will drink two or three bottles of time and he can't walk or talk he gets totally out of his mind for weeks on in the stuff should be illegal I hate Delsym I hate cold medicine anything with DXM in it ruining people's life”

grotemuis · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 4, 2017

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “After taking this cough syrup, I woke up and I experienced the most awful panic attack. Fingers tingling, feeling 'weird' thinking I was at deaths door. The only explanation was the cough syrup, I was pondering whether to call 911 and didn't because I KNEW it was the Delsym and it probably would pass with time. Drank a lot of water to hopefully flush it out faster. I will NEVER take Delsym again. Would like to know what ingredient gave me such a violent reaction.”

JoS · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2020

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I bought Delsym as it was recommended by a family member for my bad cough. I took the correct dosage and within 1 hour I was nauseous. It has been 24 hours and still nauseous. I also feel shaky with a rapid heartbeat. Please be aware this medication has major side effects.”

LO December 29, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I started taking Delsym for a viral cough that's going around. The coughing has stopped. But this morning, I woke up with a lot of diarrhea. Watery, my stomach is making these loud bubble noises, (bubble guts), and I've been to the bathroom 5 times now. I woke up at 4am to start work, I'm a 100% remote IT specialist. So the one thing that is saving me is at least I'm not onsite in the office because I would've had to leave work. I read the other reviews, and it seems the diarrhea is the main thing. No dizziness, high, vertigo feelings for me. I'll match this up with some immodium AD to stop the diarrhea. Everybody is different, and sometimes you have to find what works best for you. Happy New Year, and feel better folks.”

Smarter now January 20, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I wish I had read the reviews before taking this product! Forty five minutes after taking Delsym I had lots of belly gurgling then painful cramps and then immediate violent diarrhea! I got so dizzy & lightheaded while sitting on the toilet I almost passed out. I will never take this product again & will advise all friends & family to avoid it as well. As far as suppressing my cough, I was too afraid to cough for some time after the diarrhea started!!”

Celeste · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I’ve taken delsym and delsym max strength, and after a day or two it does start to loosen up the tight congestion in my lungs. The only problem with it, is it causes me extreme stomach distress. It doesn’t matter if I take it on an empty stomach or not, but about 15 minutes after taking a dose I experience extreme nausea. About 30-60 minutes later I will have to run to the bathroom, I’m not going to go into detail, but to say the least; I don’t go in there and puke. I’m not sure if I have a sensitivity to something in it? Or if it’s normal to experience this? I don’t take cough medicine often, but I don’t remember having this severe of side effects from other brands, but I digress. If you chose delsym, especially max strength, be prepared to possibly trade your cough for bathroom troubles.”

Rizzledizzle · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2015

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Stopped the cough, but jump started my bowels. Took it before bed and spent the morning on the toilet. All I had before was a cough, now I can't leave the house. Wish I could charge them for a sick day. On the upside: I'm just one dose of Delsym from my goal weight!”

melodia January 22, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I bought this medicine for my husband and after reading all these reviews I was hesitant to give it to him. His coughing not only kept him up but myself. He did take it after all and believe me he slept through the night and so did I. I can honestly say I am glad I did not listen to these reviews it really worked.”

InformedConsumer89 January 6, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Helped the dry cough for sure! But I am currently on the can as I write this. The reviews are spot on (Wish I read them before I took up to 3 doses). I've traded a horrible cough for uncontrollable bowel movements!”

woman over 40 · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2020

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I took Delsym last evening and began to feel strange. Then I felt anxious, nauseous, had a full-on panic attack with screaming. I rehearsed calling 911 in case. I had visionary hallucinations......I can't believe this med is on the market. I rode it out, and it was a bad trip!!! DO NOT TAKE!”

Still coughing January 10, 2020

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Please save your money on this one, folks. I've had all of 2 doses. Had diarrhea after dose #1. Waited the 12 hrs, took dose #2. I had such terrible wheezing for 1 & 1/2 hours following that 2nd dose. Scared me. As I live alone I wasn't sure I would be able to drive myself to the hospital, so I sat up & prayed, a lot. Very scary trying to catch my breath. Of course, following dose #2 came more diarrhea. This unused portion was immediately delivered to the garbage can. This was even recommended to me by my pharmacist when I picked up my 2 Rx's called in by my PMD. So glad others have written in with their comments/complaints. Wish I would have read them 1st. Now I'm out $10.00 + change but glad it's out of my house! AND, it did NOTHING FOR MY COUGH!”

BBS · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Took dose of Delsym at 10:30 pm. Awoke at 3 am with diarrhea and dizziness. At 7:30 am: headache, dizziness, nausea and pupils were dilated. Now 18 hours later, still dizzy, headache with dilated pupils.”

Sp3636 · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I have never been so scared in my life! I took Delsym 12 hr relief at 10pm for a mild cough, I woke up at 3am in a panic attack. My entire body was tingly, I couldn't feel myself breathing, my heart rate was 115 and I was sure I was gonna die. It took close to 24 hours for this to wear off. I don't recommend to anyone, this stuff is poison and should NOT be sold OTC!”

ChaosQueen October 25, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Woke up in the middle of the night with a horrendous cough. I decided to take the some cough medicine and went back to sleep. It stopped the cough. Then I woke up in my own excrement (seriously), severe diarrhea. Heart palpitations, extreme dizziness, sweating and confusion. I almost went to the emergency room. I will never take this again.”

delsey December 18, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Post nasal drip kept me up coughing so I bought Delsym thinking it would help. I took the regular dose about 8 pm. I couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. I was wide awake The main ingredient must work as a stimulant for me. I did not experience any other bad side effects . It did not help my cough. I will not take it again.”

Texangirl · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “The medicine works really, really well. I took it at 7:30am before work and have not coughed and its almost noon. HOWEVER, the medicine has made me super dizzy and loopy. I almost feel like I am borderline drunk. My fingers are also numb and cold but that's going away as the time goes on. I love this medicine and this is the first time I have ever experienced these symptoms.”

Never Again ever December 29, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Do NOT use this product! I have given this to my children when they were younger but have never taken it myself. Had a cough, decided to try it. (Only had a yogurt early in the morning) took Delsym at noonish. Made a sandwich around 1:30 or so. Mid-sandwich.....I literally pooped my pants!!! I had to run to the bathroom where I suffered w raging diarrhea!! I hadn't had a stomach ache or any symptoms prior. For the rest of the day I haven't eaten or really drank. It's now 6:10 and I'm sipping on water and at times feel like I could vomit. Stomach still gurgling. Something made me look up if Delsym could cause this and I see so many other similar reviews. I will never take it again”

Christys316 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “The first dose I took early this afternoon worked ok (I only took 1/2 dose), but I took the full dose about 30 minutes ago and cannot stop coughing. It’s actually worse than it was before I took the second dose. Praying this works so I can get a good night’s sleep!”

Made me feel weird January 19, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I took Delsym for my allergies. It worked really good the first two days. But on the third day it made me feel like I was drunk or high, not really dizzy. I was disoriented and couldn’t focus and my mind was all over the place. I thought that maybe I had just not eaten enough that day or something, but after seeing the reviews I guess other people experienced this too.”

Ray Nicolet · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2016

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “I made the mistake of taking this medicine before going to bed. I woke up in my own excrement. Seriously, this no laughing matter. It was like something out of a Dumb & Dumber movie. I had a raging case of explosive diarrhea. I feel sorry for the poor souls who don't use at least 3-ply toilet paper. Food went right through me like fat people go through twinkles. I would only recommend if you take a lower dosage than the recommended one.”

zpatient123 · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “Took only 2 doses for a cough and have been feeling nauseous and weak for going on 3 days now. Vomited on second day. Horrible etc drug that from all the other reviews I'm seeing, should not be sold! I have never had any reaction to any cold medicine anywhere close to anything like this before. Avoid!”

Scar Face October 11, 2020

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: “On the wee early hours of Sept. 12, 2020 I ended up in the ER after taking the recommended dose for an adult (10ml) of Delsym. This cough syrup made me violently sick and caused me to pass out. Long story short, I ended up with rught side facial fractures, and right shoulder area pain. I've never in my entire life ever had a drug reaction until this. It caused me nausea for 2 days that followed, weakness, and confusion. I can't believe this product is allowed to be purchased OTC. It is toxic and should have a warning label on it. I hope others don't go through what I did.”