User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, Creomulsion Children, ...show all 62 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Cough 144 reviews 788 medications

4.1
Summary of Dextromethorphan reviews 144 reviews 4.1

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This stuff is useless, in fact I am coughing more and worse after taking it. Thank goodness I only bought a small bottle, since it is kind of expensive for something that does not work at all. Will never take this garbage again."

still coughing February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Well it stopped my cough...but it also gave me extremely watery diarrhea that had me running to the bathroom every 10-30 minutes for hours and hours. It must have been at least 8 hours before my stomach calmed down. It left me feeling dehydrated and sick, but hey. At least my cough was gone, right?"

Tomjjc February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough: "Actually went on here to see if sudden onset nausea and diarrhea after 3 hours of taking it was a symptom and lo and behold half the people on here saying the same thing. Be careful I took this, had no change in my cough, felt like I needed to vomit for an hour and then had diarrhea. Looks like some people just cant stomach it."

Andy Masor February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took for a constant, deep barking cough. I worked quickly and well, calming my cough and allowing me to get sleep. However, it makes me incredibly drowsy - way worse then unisom. There was also bit of dizziness. I did not have any gastrointestinal side effects. I will use it again but only at night since it knocks me out"

ClaireA (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took Delsym 12 hour cough and after about 2 hours got terrible stomach pains and diarrhea. It wasn't very good at suppressing my cough either! Be warned, I would never take it again!"

TheKarma (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough: "I took Delsym for a cough that was bothering me. It didn't stop the cough, but within a half hour I had terrible diarrhea. At first I didn't make the connection, but the next morning I tried it again and got the same results. It's a waste of money, and there are no redeeming qualities to it."

kashline1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I bought this for a cough for my bronchitis. It is beyond worthless. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. I called my doctor for a prescription for Robitussin with Codeine and it was $5.00 cheaper and very effective. (generic-of course)"

mexrph February 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "The label with dosage information is not clear. Under the last bottle I bought, the label was very clear: 10 ml not to exceed 6 doses per day. The new bottle dosage says: 20 ml every 12 hours. So which is it? 10 as needed, or 20 every 12 hours. Plus the direction information is under one of those "peel corner..." tabs. It is very difficult to peel the corner off without destroying the dosage information and directions. I had to call a pharmacist to get an answer as to how much I should take. First pharmacist said 2 Tbls = 10 ml. Then another said 2 tsp = 10 ml. Very confusing label."

S Dunn February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I went to my pharmacy and I asked the pharmacist what can she recommend for a dry cough she said its Delsym. I tell you you will be drowsy....so I didn't mind at all because its a good thing for me I can sleep. When I took it I was waiting to see if it was effective - to my surprise I keep coughing the whole night as if I didn't take any medications....so if a cough product doesn't work for an adult - you shouldn't recommend it.....waste of money!"

Coughing Lady (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Vicks Formula 44 (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I have tried this formula the plain Vicks 44 for the past year and a half. It helps and is better than others on the market but just does not do the job like the formulas 44D and 44M . I would rate the D formula as the best ever made and then the M formula the next best with that making the plain 44 as the bottom product. But now I can't even find the straight 44 formula at the places to shop in my town. So I came on line to find out if I could order it online."

delda (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "My 4 year old had major diarrhea after taking this medication."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took this medicine at 7:00pm, recommended by the pharmacist, but still I'm coughing like crazy from a cold and sinus problem. Not sure if I want to hold my breath for another 10.5 hours? Hopefully this will help someone else, and I'm going to return this tomorrow."

Gregoryk February 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "It definitely helped my cough but I did have some minor stomach problems with it and I did feel kind of light-headed at times. Not like I was going to be dizzy or pass out but just kind of odd."

Genie50 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "About 15 minutes after taking exactly the dose indicated, I fainted and cracked my head on the floor resulting in a brain hemorrhage! Several tests were done in the hospital to rule out any other reason for fainting. The only conclusion is that I had a severe reaction to the ingredient in this cough medicine. Be careful!! Read all the reviews BEFORE taking this medicine!"

Brain Injury!! (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Polystirex is the slow release formulation is it an edible plastic? thats what irritated most of your bowels...I have ibs and have had no similar side effects which amazes me. For cough eh its ok. No better than hot tea like the other reviewer said...I'll stick with immediate release dmx. Not particularly happy about consuming plastic..."

Debbbbbb January 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough: "I took the cough medicine last night. It helped with the cough but within 20 min I was doubled over in stomach pain to the point I almost woke my husband up to take me to the ER! My stomach cramped, burned and gurggled for hours! It has been 6 hour since taking the dose and I still am having cramping and pain! I will never take this medicine again!"

Beckytfpsick1746373 January 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Went to urgent care and the doctor recommended Delsym he warned me it can cause diarrhea so to take Imodium with it to counteract it. It definitely helped suppress the cough, and tasted much better than NyQuil. (That contains Benadryl & Tylenol)"

Laura_Pea January 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This helped suppress my cough from a cold but gave me diarrhea. Diarrhea seems to happen with all similar medicines."

Cookie - age 33 January 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I have a hard time believing that there are so many people that are claiming diarrhea. I had no such experience. It also calmes my cough. I have IBS, which affects the bowels very easily. I have also known other people that have used Delsym and nobody has had this happen to them. It tastes better and really works. I have to say I suspect 1 or 2 people that had a bad experience have written multiple times too warn others. I hope people are going to more than one site to get reviews."

KatrinaCeleste January 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took this late at night expecting it to work and I should have read the reviews first it didn't stop my cough at all and I think made it worse I ended up just sucking on a cough drop which worked better than this. It is now 5:30am and my stomach feels twisted like I'm going to vomit but I don't have anything to vomit because I haven't eaten anything and it has to be the cough syrup because I have had the cough drops before. I'm never going to use this medicine again."

Liv_ January 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough: "Horrible, waste of money!!! It did not work, my Dr says its trash!!!"

msmith217 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I gave this product to my 5 year old who has been battling nighttime coughs after getting over a never-ending cold. Within 2 hours, he was vomiting. This went on for 3 more hours. Shortly after that, he started complaining of stomach pains and the need to poop. He unfortunately still has the cough and I feel like a terrible momma for not checking the side effects first. I'd rather deal with him coughing than to put him through this ever again!"

G!NgeR January 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This medicine shouldn't even get a 1. Hopefully you were smart and read the reviews before taking because I didn't. First night I took it, I woke up in the morning and vomited three times. Continued to take it the following day (thought the vomiting was due to something I ate) and continued to vomit. I will never take again."

Lyons955 January 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough: "This is my second day taking this medicine my stomach hurt a little I have a horrible cough so bad I want to jump out my body. My cough is non stop I used this medicine and it slowed my cough a great amount I was shocked. I still cough some though I give it a 8"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Cough: "My husband got me some Delsym (purple kind) for a horrific, barking cough I had. (It was so bad he tried to talk me into going to the ER) After 30 minutes, I actually slept through the entire night, with only 1-2 instances of a cough. I took it 2 nights in a row & each night I slept the entire night with little to no coughing. I've been reading all the reviews, to see if anyone had the same weird feeling in their chest as I did, but from what I see, most people have had issues with diarrhea. I had NO issues with the Big "D" at all. None. Just a weird feeling in my chest/throat area, like a numbness or pressure. Could have just been from all the coughing I had done & was finally able to get a break."

Sarafina73 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017