User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: 12 Hour Cough Relief, Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, ...show all 63 brand names

Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Cough 162 reviews 789 medications

4.1
Summary of Dextromethorphan reviews 162 reviews 4.1

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I was sleeping in the recliner and coughing no matter what I tried. This worked very well. I think it might be the best 12 hours of relief I have had from coughing. Slight diarrhea but so worth the cough relief. I would take this again when that sick with a cough."

JenBu April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I found this page and everything clicked just two days too late. While my cough went away, the first night I woken up with severe cramping and the worst diarrhea of my life and was unable to hold food down for 12 hours. Then I took the medicine the next night and woke up to constant severe cramping to the point of skipping all my meals and popping pepto until the 12 hour mark when I was able to hold down a bagel. Thank god I searched this tonight because I was about to take it again!! It is not expired but rather a painful fast track to a cleanse. Never touching again."

Manda_A April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Googled "dextromethorphan & diarrhea" and it lead me here. Is it helping my cough? I doubt it. It's hard to imagine things being worse in the constant coughing department but I guess the only way to know is to stop taking it (which I plan to do). The bigger problem is the loose stool. As someone who lives with constipation on a daily basis, this side effect was quite surprising. I feel bad for any "regular" people out there as you must be truly suffering rather nasty outcomes from unintentionally taking a laxative."

Beverly H. April 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This cough syrup should be advertised as a colon cleanse. Fast acting! Holy moly. Within 10 minutes the diarrhea hit me like a freight train. I didn't know I had all that in me. The diarrhea was a great distraction from my sore throat. I didn't think the diarrhea was from the Delsum at first. I put two and two together when every 12 hours I took a dose it was followed by the violent emptying of my being. I did feel immediately better after the trips to the bathroom."

Annap88 April 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "This medicine has definitely helped with my cough. I thought I had gotten a stomach virus at the same time as a cold... nope.This product gave me violent diarrhea. Stopped taking it for a day and my stool returned to normal. Took a dose this morning because I couldn't handle my cough and what do ya know- in the bathroom for the last five hours? Save yourself and buy something else. Throwing it away"

DanielleSherid April 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This did stop my cough all night after suffering from a terrible cough for 5 days but I have severe watery diarrhea a short time after taking it. My husband had the same cough and it stopped his cough, too, luckily he did not get diarrhea. The grape flavor tasted pretty good. Imodium stopped my diarrhea with 2 doses. I will save the rest of bottle for him but not for me."

City girl March 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took this medicine around midnight last night after being tired of trying to hold back a cough and it worked pretty quickly...I also had hot water with lemon and honey so that probably helped too. However, around 5:00am I woke up with severe cramping and diarrhea. I spent two hours running back and forth to the bathroom. I also experienced nausea and dizziness. But hey it got rid of my cough...not worth it."

Anonymous March 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Waste of money No relief at all"

Karen1968 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "After having a nasty cold/cough for 5 days I had to do something, I was getting tired of sleeping in a recliner so I decided to give Delsym a try. Now it did help with the dry cough, I was still woken up to the gasping painful coughs but it was better than being awake almost all night long. I do have ibs-d and Delsym made me be in the bathroom most of the morning and it gave me the hang over headache. So Yes it did stop most of my coughing but who wants to spend the next day in the bathroom bent over in pain from cough syrup."

MartineL (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Worked great for day and night time relief! Went from a wicked dry cough to hours of cough-free rest. Its awesome and very effective."

Megan's cough March 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "The worst waste of money, with no relief at all!"

Hacking (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "A lot of negative reviews here. I find Delsym to be very effective treating my cough. No symptoms of diarrhea at all. Of course I don't take it on an empty stomach. Anyway, pretty good stuff in my opinion."

Franko719 March 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Did absolutely nothing to alleviate my cough. And now I am feeling slightly nauseated. I actually think my cough was better before taking it, as at least the hacking was removing phlegm. Now it's a useless dry cough that is just as painful to my poor abused ribs. Thankfully haven't noticed any warning signs of diarrhea. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. Overall this product was and unsatisfying waste of my money and time."

Feckitjenkins March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took this for a dry cough. It did make my cough go away. Which was great....but the next day did experience diarrhea. That is what brought me to this review page."

Andipandi13 March 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "About an hour after taking the recommended dose for a bad cough, I had massive watery diarrhea. Cough seems to be gone though."

Jay8788 March 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took 5 hours ago. Still coughing. Now I am pooping as well. Came to read reviews because I don't think I could have eaten anything else to cause diarrhea. I'm hoping I don't have 8 hours of stomach issues but it's not looking good. Maybe it doesn't happen to everyone but user beware!"

Rachel7 March 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "My son's cough is WORSE after taking this. Not suppressing at all."

JM1825 March 1, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "First off, it tasted awful. Secondly, I thought I was dying on my bathroom floor an hour after taking it. It gave me chills, extreme nausea, diarrhea and dizziness. Double checked the expiration date to see if that had something to do with it, nope. My cough is calm but it's not worth fighting nausea and dizziness four hours later. I will never take this medicine again."

kyraaaaaa February 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This stuff is useless, in fact I am coughing more and worse after taking it. Thank goodness I only bought a small bottle, since it is kind of expensive for something that does not work at all. Will never take this garbage again."

still coughing February 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Well it stopped my cough...but it also gave me extremely watery diarrhea that had me running to the bathroom every 10-30 minutes for hours and hours. It must have been at least 8 hours before my stomach calmed down. It left me feeling dehydrated and sick, but hey. At least my cough was gone, right?"

Tomjjc February 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Actually went on here to see if sudden onset nausea and diarrhea after 3 hours of taking it was a symptom and lo and behold half the people on here saying the same thing. Be careful I took this, had no change in my cough, felt like I needed to vomit for an hour and then had diarrhea. Looks like some people just cant stomach it."

Andy Masor February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took for a constant, deep barking cough. I worked quickly and well, calming my cough and allowing me to get sleep. However, it makes me incredibly drowsy - way worse then unisom. There was also bit of dizziness. I did not have any gastrointestinal side effects. I will use it again but only at night since it knocks me out"

ClaireA (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took Delsym 12 hour cough and after about 2 hours got terrible stomach pains and diarrhea. It wasn't very good at suppressing my cough either! Be warned, I would never take it again!"

TheKarma (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I took Delsym for a cough that was bothering me. It didn't stop the cough, but within a half hour I had terrible diarrhea. At first I didn't make the connection, but the next morning I tried it again and got the same results. It's a waste of money, and there are no redeeming qualities to it."

kashline1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I bought this for a cough for my bronchitis. It is beyond worthless. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS. I called my doctor for a prescription for Robitussin with Codeine and it was $5.00 cheaper and very effective. (generic-of course)"

mexrph February 5, 2017