User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: 12 Hour Cough Relief, Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, Creomulsion Children, Delsym, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief for Children & Adults, Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief, DexAlone, Dexi-Tuss, Dextromethorphan HBr Adult Formula, Dristan DM, Dry Cough, Duract Max Strength Cough, ElixSure Cough, Hold, Hold DM, Jack & Jill Thin Strips Cough, Lloydspharmacy Dry Adult Cough, Neocitran Thin Strips Cough, Novahistine DM, Nucosef DM, Pedia Relief, PediaCare Children's Long-Acting Cough, Pertussin CS Childrens, Pertussin DM, Pertussin ES, Robafen Cough Liquidgels, Robafen Pediatric Cough & Cold, Robitussin 12-Hour Cough Relief, Robitussin Children's Cough Long-Acting, Robitussin Cough Long-Acting, Robitussin CoughGels Long-Acting, Scot-Tussin Diabetes, Scot-Tussin DM Cough Chasers, Silphen DM, St. Joseph Cough Suppressant, Strepsils Cough, Strepsils Cough Relief, Sucrets Cough, Theraflu Thin Strips Cough, Triaminic Long Acting Cough, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough, Triaminic Thin Strips Long Acting Cough, Tussin Cough Gels (Long Acting), Tussin Pediatric, Tussinol for Dry Coughs, Vicks Dayquil Cough, Vicks Formula 44, Vicks Formula 44 Custom Care Dry Cough Suppressant, Vicks Nature Fusion Cough …show all brand names

Cough
3.9

Summary of Dextromethorphan reviews 4.0 227 reviews

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "My 9 year old son had a severe cough. The doctor has always recommended this cough medicine. My son was very dizzy and felt horrible after one dose. 24 hours later his pupils are still enlarged. I will never use this medicine again."

Lorain October 10, 2018

For Cough: "Dextromethorphan is absolutely worthless. In combination with it's frequent companion, Guaifenesin, it is LESS than worthless. You would get better results from having a witch doctor wave a magic wand over you. After all these years, how they keep this stuff on the market is the real mystery. The drug peddlers must have found the right palms to grease."

arjaysmithjr (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I have no complaints. I don’t even mind the taste. Works like a charm."

Jess (taken for less than 1 month) September 18, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Delsym does not help a bit and it definitely does not last for 12 hours. False advertising, really DELSYM it's really expensive for a product that doesn't help."

Brandon (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I was taking this medication for about 3 days and I experienced stomach aches every day. Only stopped my coughing for a few hours. When I took the medication yesterday morning, I felt very dizzy and couldn’t stand up straight."

TA (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "After an hour of taking Delsym as directed for my cough I started to get a feeling high sensation as if I had been drinking. Luckily it didn't last long. Didn't get rid of my cough either!!"

Bibi (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2018

Benylin DM (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "So I had a fever mixed with allergies that only lasted about 24 hours, but then I got an intense cough that resembles bronchitis. This cough has been present for almost a week now so I tried benylin cough syrup. I felt it go directly to my stomach and about 15 minutes later I had intense diarrhea. After that I stopped coughing so the medicine worked but my stomach was still off. About an hour later, I literally peed from my rear, it was just brown water and felt like liquid magma... So if you take this: it works for a cough but it turns your stomach upside down."

Piper (taken for less than 1 month) August 18, 2018

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Did not work at all — very expensive for no relieve"

Andmcg (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This did NOT calm my cough down AT ALL! Would like my money back, as it is expensive and ineffective."

Debi (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: " I went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist for a medicine to calm my cough and he recommended Delsym. I have been taking it 3 days and the cough has worsened because now every time I cough I vomit. In these 3 days I have not been able to keep a single meal in my stomach; Just today I stopped taking it and I stopped vomiting, apparently what was causing me the most damage was this medication. I do not recommend it at all."

Loly (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took recommended dose at night. Woke up completely disoriented and dizzy - and had extreme waves of anxiety and feeling like I was going to pass out all day. Finally seemed to wear off around 24 hours later but was THE WORST experience. This was actually my second time - I tried it again just to make sure that it was the medicine causing it and not some strange panic attack. It's definitely the medicine."

me (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2018

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Delsym 12 hour cough medicine should be avoided at all costs. I wish I had never taken it. At first, it seemed to work, but then came the diarrhea, nausea, and dizziness. I had trouble sleeping while taking this product. After 2 doses, it triggered a histamine reaction as well. Before taking this product, my only ailment was a lingering cough from having a cold. After taking Delsym, I'm still dealing with the cough but now I also have diarrhea, and all the symptoms that come with full blown allergies. I can't wait until my body completely purges this horrible product from my system."

LD9 (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2018

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took it for nasal congestion because for some reason that’s what I thought it was for, and it was the orange syrup version. It cleared up my sinuses pretty much 100% so I’m really impressed with it. I must be lucky because I ended up taking half the bottle (over a long period of time) and didn’t experience any nausea where as a lot of people say they were vomiting with only one dose (by the way the amount I drank is safe because it was pure dxm HBr)."

Acronix (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2018

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I get bronchitis at least once or twice a year, and this is the only medicine to help my cough. My coughing keeps me up at night, my ribs hurt, and this medicine gives me some relief. I get 0 gas, nausea, or poops from it!!! Most medicines do cause those above symptoms listed, and with this, I have none."

GG (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Uhh I took this medicine for a severe cough because of seasonal allergies. I was taking Mucinex but it wasn't as effective immediately. So I asked my mom, who also deals worth allergy issues and she gives me this Delsym. It did, in fact, suppress my urge to cough but with major repercussions. It is now 10 pm, 12 hours after my first dose and I can't stand myself right now. I feel so disoriented that it is hard to focus on this message but it is important that I share my experience so I can save some the trouble of this way. I have an anxiety disorder, this is important for others like me so they know that this medicine has made me feel so incredibly bad that I have seriously, seriously dark thoughts about myself. I just want to stop this unexplainable, very terrible feeling throughout my entire body and brain. I hope this horrible experience will end soon. I'll be sure to update on how long the effects last. So far, 12 hours and counting..."

Donewithbigpharma (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I take delsum when I get sick and have a cough if I don't go to the doctor. It does work great. Stops my cough completely. Can cause nausea if taken on an empty stomach. My only problem with it is I can't go to sleep all the way. I end up in a drowsy state kind of like when you've just started to fall asleep-still kind of aware of surroundings. This cycles pretty much all night with wakefulness about every hour. The night seems to last for days, and my alarm going off is a relief. Not too tired the next day but not an enjoyable feeling for me, although a night of all night coughing is more miserable. So pros and cons for its use. In the daytime it can cause tiredness but does knock out the cough."

Nonsmiley (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 3, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I’ve given this to my daughter twice , children’s dose, and both times she has vomited within 30 minutes . Do not recommend."

KD (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took a dose of Delsym at 9pm and felt my cough calm down before bed. Woke up at 3am filled with anxiety and two hours later, I'm still awake. After reading all the negative reviews and the reaction I have, I don't think I'll take this medicine again. Hoping my stomach stays strong. Picking up some elderberry syrup once the sun comes up."

Can't sleep at all (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I had a dry cough and asked a pharmacist what would be the best to take. He suggested this Delsym ,so I bought it. Less then an hour later a wave of dizziness hit me. I was not sure what was going on . Then, I began to feel like I was going to vomit. I threw up from 7 pm until 8am. I had extreme anxiety, shook, my stomach cramped and gurgled . At one point I thought I was having a toxic reaction . This is hour 16 and I am still shaking, my pupils are still dilated, and Im utterly exhausted. Im not sure how its even legal to sell this OTC."

KK (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took Delsym 12 hr for a cough and it worked pretty good for me. I thought I did not have any side effects from it. A few days later I found that my Fibromyalgia pain had nearly disappeared, so what I worked out was great dextromethorphan for fibromyalgia pain. I was able to go to bed and get out of bed without any pain. I had almost forgot what it was like to be pain free. After much research on the active ingredient in Delsym, it was confirmed that dextromethorphan does block pain receptors in the brain. I continued to take the recommended dosage at 10AM and at 10PM. After about a month I it seemed I was more tired than usual. I cut the dosage back to just once at 10PM and was hopeful that would help with me being tired. Yes, it was better but still too tired every day. I have stopped Delsym completely. My pain is back in full fibromyalgia force but being tired has gotten much better. So, do I want to be tired all the time or do I want to deal with pain all the time. I haven't decided that yet."

Lyette March 13, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Might as well take tap water for your cough. Delsym 12 hour did nothing except drain my pocketbook."

Ripped Off (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "First time I used delsym was last night The first dose didn’t do anything to me. After taking the second dose at 11:30 pm I went to bed praying for the cough to go way About 4 am I woke up with a big pain in my chest. Scared to death I was getting ready to call 911 When I thought to read some reviews of delsym Here you go — delsym was the reason The pain was there for 3 hours - my biggest nightmare ! I'll never ever take this medication again"

Mira March 11, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "After I felt the early symptoms of a sore throat and cough, I picked up some Delsym Cold and Cough Nightime since I had used the Delsym orange cough relief medicine before with some success. This formula was definitely a mistake. I took the first dose yesterday afternoon, and by yesterday evening I had loose stools and vomiting, but my first thought was maybe a virus on top of the cold...took the second dose in the early morning of today after coughing uncontrollably all night. Again I was vomiting and still coughing. After the third dose and the same result this afternoon, I decided to do a little research and found these reviews. So glad I did. Never again!!"

Leighbee (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2018

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "DO NOT take Delsym with alcohol. No where on the box does it say that! I had wine with dinner and later took the prescribed dosage of Delsym because I had a cough that was preventing me from sleeping. The next thing I knew was waking up on the kitchen floor with ambulance personnel in my house! I hit my head on the floor which caused a brain bleed. I had to be air lifted to a regional hospital and put in the ICU. Luckily the bleed stopped and they didn't have to crack my head open to do brain surgery! Recovery was a nightmare with months of headache, dizziness, and zero energy. I still have residual effects a year later. They did a lot of tests in the hospital to figure out what caused me to faint, but all of them showed no problems so it had to have been the Delsym. I don't know for sure of course that the combination of wine with Delsym caused me to pass out. It could have been just the Delsym, but I want to warn people. This stuff is dangerous!!!"

Brain Damage (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Avoid taking - I took the required dosage and after one hour I had terrible gas pains and diarrhea. Very embarrassing since I am at my office. My cough did stop but it is not worth it. Also, made me very dizzy and confused and a little panicky. Don't take it with any kind of green tea or caffeine."

Dolcissima7 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018