User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: Delsym, Cough Syrup DM, Dry Cough, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief, Vicks Formula 44 Custom Care Dry Cough Suppressant, Benylin DM, Sucrets Cough, Scot-Tussin Diabetes, Lloydspharmacy Dry Adult Cough, DexAlone, Vicks Formula 44, PediaCare Children's Long-Acting Cough, Babee Cof, Silphen DM, Pertussin DM, Balminil DM, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief for Children & Adults, Calmylin, Novahistine DM, Strepsils Cough, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Robitussin Cough Long-Acting, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Neocitran Thin Strips Cough, Contac Cough, Robafen Cough Liquidgels, Jack & Jill Thin Strips Cough, Bisolvon Dry, Tussinol for Dry Coughs, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Dristan DM, Dexi-Tuss, Nucosef DM, Strepsils Cough Relief, Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief, Buckleys Mixture, Pedia Relief, Triaminic Long Acting Cough, Creomulsion Children, Creomulsion, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Tussin Cough Gels (Long Acting), Vicks Nature Fusion Cough, Duract Max Strength Cough, Hold, Robitussin CoughGels Long-Acting, 12 Hour Cough Relief, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough, Robitussin 12-Hour Cough Relief, ElixSure Cough, Scot-Tussin DM Cough Chasers, Hold DM, Pertussin CS Childrens, Robitussin Children's Cough Long-Acting, St. Joseph Cough Suppressant, Pertussin ES, Dextromethorphan HBr Adult Formula, Tussin Pediatric, Robafen Pediatric Cough & Cold, Vicks Dayquil Cough …show all brand names

Cough
3.9

Summary of Dextromethorphan reviews 3.9 274 reviews

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Jessica September 14, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took Delsym for the 1 time on 02/19. I felt high, family said I was child like. No memory. Wasn't sure what caused it. The 2 time took it 09/19. After taking it my family said I was acting really weird. No memory of it but acted drunk and my daughter took video to show me. I was crying because my vision was blurred & also not being able to get orange juice out of cup.I was saying I want my mom & making things out of toilet paper. They said it was pitiful. Talking like a kid, my balance off, kept feeling like liquid was coming out my ear. Horrible head & muscle aches.I didn't get diarrhea like others but got dehydrated. Had sleep where you wake up thinking it had been hours but also had vivid dreams. Slept 12 hours. Didn't take cough away. My head felt like someone squeezing it & trying to pop my eyes out. Felt like I had been drinking last night and I don't drink at all. I know it was the delsym and looking up the side effects, I fall under overdose category. I didn't take the full dose."

Sher · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2019

For Cough: "I have a cough that I tried 2 prescription nasal sprays for but neither are helping. I can’t take steroids because of the side effects. I bought an off brand of Robitussin CF yesterday and took a dose at 9am and again at 1:30pm. Never again! It’s 6:30am the next morning and I’m still very jittery and nauseous with absolutely no appetite whatsoever! They need to take this off the shelves! I called the hospital last night and was told it would be ok to take my prescription Diazepam, so I did. Went to sleep & woke at 5 feeling horrible so I took another Diazepam (I have GAD). "

YourAverageJoan · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took Delsym and still found myself coughing. No change what so ever."

Cougher · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I usually use Delsym as the other products hurt my stomach. Purchased the grape flavor and took first dose at work, also was told by pharmacist that I can combine with mucinex-D tablets. Unfortunately this combo got me high as anything at work- must have been the pseuodoephridrine in the mucinex D. Essentially my head was spinning and I was slightly confused and excited. Another side effect included lots of watery diarrhea and loud stomach gas. I have ongoing bubble guts some 12 hours later. My coughing fits were greatly reduced though. I definitely won’t be combining those two medications again."

ChaosCatt · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took this tonight as I've been sick for 3 days with a cold/cough. I expected it to make me drowsy but it made me restless and completely unable to sleep. I came here looking to see if anyone else had that reaction. I don't think it helped me cough at all either. Now I will probably feel worse tomorrow seeing as how I didn't really get any sleep tonight."

Anonymous August 12, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "PLEASE DO NOT TAKE DELSYM...The pharmacist suggested Delsym to me and I ended up in the hospital with a panic attack."

Jazzy · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took this Delsym for my cough and it did work, but I ended falling asleep and it made me have like lucid dreams or something IDK but it was weird, I did sleep like a baby though honestly."

Cole · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2019

For Cough: "Took 2 doses of this today, per the instructions. The first time I was a bit nauseous but figured it was because I hadn't eaten much. Now I took it about 3 hours ago and have such intense nausea, cramping and explosive diarrhea. Plus, my mouth feels like I ate cotton balls for dinner and I can't stop shaking. Never use no matter how bad your cough is. Absolute worst product ever and doesn't even contain a list of potential side effects like every other drug out there. If any of these side effects had been listed anywhere on the box or label I never would have taken it, even if I were paid to do so. I used the maximum strength Robitussin CF. Not even my prescription ondansetron for nausea (which is used to treat nausea in chemo patients) will touch this."

Books · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2019

For Cough: "I had a bad cough for about 3 weeks due to bronchitis. Delsym eased my cough a little and also made me so tired I fell asleep in spite of the throat irritation. My main complaint is that even though I took one recommended dose only at bedtime, I was half asleep all the next day. "

Amazed · Taken for 10 years or more June 21, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for : "My son had chronic ear Infections when he was little and continues to have them every time he gets a cold. He is now 30 years old and continues to use Delsym 12 Hour Cough Syrup to avoid an ear Infection. He takes a dose at night and a dose in the morning at onset of a cold. As the cold begins to subside he stops the dose in the morning and just takes it at night until the cold is completely gone. I've told a lot of people about it and only one person has told me that it didn't work. I have taken Delsym myself and neither of us have experienced feeling drugged or have had the explosive diarrhea that others on these reviews have spoken of. Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate. It thins the mucous so it can drain properly and not cause the infection. I'm no doctor but just figured it out on my own years ago when I was told that it thins the mucous. I had him try it and he has been avoiding ear infections every since. Beats antibiotics and surgeries."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Works for about five hours not 12 hours"

Emma · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I have taken Delsym ever since I was young (for colds) I have asthma so a cold isn’t just a cold for me but every time I have taken it has resulted in nausea, vomiting, extreme dizziness, fast heart beat, and shakiness for about 2 days. I later learned that the ingredient called Dextromethophran was causing this. Anytime I take anything with this it happens. Idk if I’m sensitive to it or allergic."

Pink ranger · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This medicine did it work for my cough. It made me feel loopy and drunk. It also gave me and my husband diarrhea. Like real real diarrhea. We will never ever take this medicine again."

JR · Taken for 10 years or more May 11, 2019

Vicks Dayquil Cough (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This medicine has help me for years and happy to say it has done well."

Heywajda2 · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

For Cough: "I’ve had a partial dry/mucus-y cough for about a month. My mom suggested Delsym, which I remember taking as a kid, but I don’t remember having issues with it. Twice now, I’ve had hot flashes/panic attacks (the first time I thought it had a negative reaction with a natural supplement), diarrhea and jittery feelings. I’ll just deal with the cough."

Suzy · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Took 1 cap of Delsym 12 hour cough syrup for my cough and 3 hours later had diarrhea like never before. Explosive!! First and last time I will ever take it!"

Chickadee · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took Delsym once and didn't help cough, decided to try a second dose more than 12 hours later still no help, but now have explosive diarrhea. (Not ideal when you have a bad cough!) Would not recommend."

Dhaval April 2, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I took this syrup after my dinner and woke up with heavy head and dizziness and it only got worse by the afternoon. To an extent that if I close my eyes everything will start spinning. Its more than 24 hours now and I am still facing this issue. Will never recommend this to anyone."

Cherry Bomb Numb er · Taken for less than 1 month March 26, 2019

Sucrets Cough (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This cough drop is a lot better than regular cough drops, it numbs your throat and tongue....kind of feels like the dentist numb thing you get when you get a filling, so don't really like the feeling, but for helping to soothe the sharp pain in your throat, it will do the trick. The initial taste was really good too almost like a Ludent Cherry candy."

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more March 18, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Bought it for cough, took it at 10pm tonight & my nose is running/burning, eyes watery & burning. I can't take anything till 10am comes. Not happy & still have cough too."

AmyMinn · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2019

For Cough: "I thought I was going crazy till I read the reviews here. Dextromethorphan did work pretty well on my cough, but caused nausea, diarrhea, and a near panic attack. I have an anxiety disorder, and I wish I’d known about the possible effects on mood before taking it."

Mom of three · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This medicine is a joke! Doesn't work at all!!"

Pregnant Alien · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

Tussin Pediatric (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "HORRIFYING. I am 18wks pregnant, took the recommended dose of child’s Tussin at 10pm for the beginnings of a cough. Woke up at midnight with severe stomach cramps and the most insane and painful explosive diarrhea I have ever heard of!!! I thought I was miscarrying, but nope! Just reacting to the cough syrup... PS, used this one month ago and it worked fine, no reaction at all. :("

els March 10, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Delsym was awful. It did cause explosive diarrhea, which I did not need on top of already being sick with a chest cold. I've never had such bad diarrhea."

Tina · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2019

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "First time trying this cough medicine. Had a persistent cough for more than 2 weeks so I decided to try it as I hadn’t been sleeping well due to my persistent coughing. The medicine works great on getting rid of the cough however it comes with the side affect of feeling drunk yet high at the same time. I am very lethergic initially an hour after taking it. However, then I have this mental clarity phase where I become very focus and productive about 5 to 6 hours after taking the medicine. I will continue to use it for my cough as it works and because I don’t mind the side affects."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)