User Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Also known as: 12 Hour Cough Relief, Babee Cof, Balminil DM, Benadryl for the Family Dry Forte, Benylin DM, Bisolvon Dry, Bisolvon Dry Junior, Buckley's DM, Buckley's Mixture Cough Suppressant, Buckleys Mixture, Calmylin, Contac Cough, Cough Syrup DM, Covonia Bronchial Balsam, Creomulsion, Creomulsion Children, Delsym, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief, Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief for Children & Adults, Delsym Children's 12-Hour Cough Relief, DexAlone, Dexi-Tuss, Dextromethorphan HBr Adult Formula, Dristan DM, Dry Cough, Duract Max Strength Cough, ElixSure Cough, Hold, Hold DM, Jack & Jill Thin Strips Cough, Lloydspharmacy Dry Adult Cough, Neocitran Thin Strips Cough, Novahistine DM, Nucosef DM, Pedia Relief, PediaCare Children's Long-Acting Cough, Pertussin CS Childrens, Pertussin DM, Pertussin ES, Robafen Cough Liquidgels, Robafen Pediatric Cough & Cold, Robitussin 12-Hour Cough Relief, Robitussin Children's Cough Long-Acting, Robitussin Cough Long-Acting, Robitussin CoughGels Long-Acting, Scot-Tussin Diabetes, Scot-Tussin DM Cough Chasers, Silphen DM, St. Joseph Cough Suppressant, Strepsils Cough, Strepsils Cough Relief, Sucrets Cough, Theraflu Thin Strips Cough, Triaminic Long Acting Cough, Triaminic Thin Strips Cough, Triaminic Thin Strips Long Acting Cough, Tussin Cough Gels (Long Acting), Tussin Pediatric, Tussinol for Dry Coughs, Vicks Dayquil Cough, Vicks Formula 44, Vicks Formula 44 Custom Care Dry Cough Suppressant, Vicks Nature Fusion Cough …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Dextromethorphan.

Cough

Summary of Dextromethorphan reviews 4.0 182 reviews

Reviews for Dextromethorphan

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "The first time I took Delsym (a couple years ago), I landed in the ER because I thought I was dying: severe nausea, chills, sweats, shakes, dizziness, shortness of breath, and the dreaded diarrhea. I didn't make the connection that it was the Delsym until it happened to me again a couple days ago. Almost identical symptoms as the first time, but this time instead of just nausea, I was also vomiting profusely. I'm glad it works for others, but please don't "poo-poo" (pun intended) those whose experience was less-than-pleasant. We're all different, and what works for one won't work for another."

Never-Again-Anne December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I have used the kid version with success for my children. It does work well to stop a dry cough. It lasts 8 hours, rather than 12. Unfortunately, the last time I used it for my child, she ended up dry heaving for hours and had a bout of explosive diarrhea. It stopped once the medicine wore off (about 8 hours after her dose)."

ILoveSandwiches December 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Boy, do I wish I had read the reviews on this medicine BEFORE I took it! I have been sick for a week with a nasty virus and finally broke down late last night and took a dose of Delsym. I admit it stopped my cough in its tracks but I woke up six hours later with such bad diarrhea it was like my keister had sprouted a fountain. My husband took it and within a short time developed terrible chills. I think, from this point forward, I will just deal with the cough."

Peglet11 (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This cough syrup is no good, and is very expensive! It also gave me diarrhea.. So disappointing"

ALanaJ (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "After taking this cough syrup, I woke up and I experienced the most awful panic attack. Fingers tingling, feeling 'weird' thinking I was at deaths door. The only explanation was the cough syrup, I was pondering whether to call 911 and didn't because I KNEW it was the Delsym and it probably would pass with time. Drank a lot of water to hopefully flush it out faster. I will NEVER take Delsym again. Would like to know what ingredient gave me such a violent reaction."

grotemuis (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I came to appreciate dextromethorphan on the 4th night of a bout with bronchitis. While I did need to "expectorate" all that horrible, infected, green stuff, I needed some uninterrupted SLEEP even more. The dextromethorphan kept my hacking quiet long enough to do so."

Lizibeta September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Sadly no relief from my painful cough that started the other day, no diarrhea yet but now I'm afraid of what will happen when I got to bed after reading the reviews here. Sad that a pharmacist recommended it and I could get better relief for my throats and cough from a warmed up shot of whiskey. Don't bother with this rubbish"

JeyG September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Fortunately I didn't get diarrhea but this DID NOT help my cough IN THE SLIGHTEST"

Akanonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Have a sinus infection which causes a pretty bad cough... got tired of it and reached for Delsym (I bought it a month earlier for my son's bad cough and it worked for him)... took it at 3pm today and by 5pm I had the runs!!! Cough was gone, but it made me go! I don't have IBS or any digestive issues so it seems to be affiliated with this medicine... up to you if it's worth it... for me it was that's how bad my cough was."

Sinusbutdeadly (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Delsym Cough (Orange Flavored) has really worked on my cough. I did have a pretty good headache but I took Ibuprofen for that. I have not experience any stomach problems other than nausea when I woke up this morning and I threw up. I was able to go to work today."

Amymm September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Have a little bit of a lingering cough from a cold. Not giving me much trouble except keeps me up at night. I heard this was good so I took so I could get some sleep. Helped tremendously with the cough but then I was having bad stomach cramps and diarrhea. I hadn't eaten anything that should have upset my stomach and it didn't really feel like a "bug" so I looked up side effects for Delsym. Now I wish I had done that first because I probably wouldn't have taken it. So, while it worked for my cough I still didn't get any sleep due to the stomach issues."

ashleyfus08 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Took this med for a spasm-y cough that just wouldn't stop. Definitely helped the cough. A couple of hours after the first dose, I experienced abdominal cramps and diarrhea. I checked the bottle for side effects, didn't see gastrointestinal issues listed, and assumed I'd eaten something that didn't agree with me. I took the second dose about 1-1/2 hours before bed. An hour later, another round of bathroom jaunts began. It did what it should for the cough, but the gastrointestinal side effects aren't worth it."

Reba Y August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Buckleys Mixture (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "It tastes like licking tree sap straight of the bark of a tree, but by far it's the best over the counter medicine I've found to provide long lasting results."

Anonymous August 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I took this for a really tickly cough that would not shift and was keeping myself and my other half up. I woke up this morning after only having about 4 doses over the last 2 days and basically soiled myself! I've been up and down to the toilet all day! I feel awful and I hope it passes soon as I fly to Canada tomorrow! Will Imodium help?"

Ejw (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I've used this product before with no problems. However, I took a dose at 6AM this morning because of a nagging cough and have been extremely sick ever since. Horrible diarrhea, dizziness and nausea. Sitting in bed with a trash can next to me wishing that I would just throw up so I'd feel better. I hope this doesn't last 12 hours. I'm getting to old to waste a day in bed."

KaPa July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "Delsym worked well for my nighttime coughing spells. Maybe not for 4 hours, probably 3 hours. Taste is not horrible. Hives in the morning will prevent me from using again though."

pmr6712 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Stopped the cough because too scared to cough for fear of pooping my pants. Terrible...but stupidly thought maybe it was just me as I some had srfgery that affects how I digest things. Gave my daughter (15yo) some tonight....same thing, the toilet became her new friend :( way to make someone already sick feel much worse."

Nocough (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "DO NOT TRY IT. I know some of you have had good experiences and some have had bad ones. There as been more bad ones then there are good I know that much. I took this medicine for my dry cough that I was having, I felt fine for a little while, went to sleep. And then about an hour after going to sleep I woke up in a full blown panic attack. I felt like I was going to black out, I kept having hot flashes, and severe stomach pain. The feeling of throwing up was pretty bad too, but it never happened. I was shaking and almost went to the hospital."

skye101 July 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "IBS? DO NOT TAKE should be the warning on this label. 6 hours after you take it. Cramps...diarrhea...nausea. Not worth it!"

Godsgirl614ever (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I have a dry cough. I took the medicine before bed. I continued to cough and I did feel restless and had more difficulty falling asleep after coughing fits."

Melhasacough May 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I was sleeping in the recliner and coughing no matter what I tried. This worked very well. I think it might be the best 12 hours of relief I have had from coughing. Slight diarrhea but so worth the cough relief. I would take this again when that sick with a cough."

JenBu April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "I found this page and everything clicked just two days too late. While my cough went away, the first night I woken up with severe cramping and the worst diarrhea of my life and was unable to hold food down for 12 hours. Then I took the medicine the next night and woke up to constant severe cramping to the point of skipping all my meals and popping pepto until the 12 hour mark when I was able to hold down a bagel. Thank god I searched this tonight because I was about to take it again!! It is not expired but rather a painful fast track to a cleanse. Never touching again."

Manda_A April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Googled "dextromethorphan & diarrhea" and it lead me here. Is it helping my cough? I doubt it. It's hard to imagine things being worse in the constant coughing department but I guess the only way to know is to stop taking it (which I plan to do). The bigger problem is the loose stool. As someone who lives with constipation on a daily basis, this side effect was quite surprising. I feel bad for any "regular" people out there as you must be truly suffering rather nasty outcomes from unintentionally taking a laxative."

Beverly H. April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Delsym (dextromethorphan) for Cough: "This cough syrup should be advertised as a colon cleanse. Fast acting! Holy moly. Within 10 minutes the diarrhea hit me like a freight train. I didn't know I had all that in me. The diarrhea was a great distraction from my sore throat. I didn't think the diarrhea was from the Delsum at first. I put two and two together when every 12 hours I took a dose it was followed by the violent emptying of my being. I did feel immediately better after the trips to the bathroom."

Annap88 April 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This medicine has definitely helped with my cough. I thought I had gotten a stomach virus at the same time as a cold... nope.This product gave me violent diarrhea. Stopped taking it for a day and my stool returned to normal. Took a dose this morning because I couldn't handle my cough and what do ya know- in the bathroom for the last five hours? Save yourself and buy something else. Throwing it away"

DanielleSherid April 15, 2017