User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Pain 8.1
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 8.1 398 reviews

Reviews for Hydromorphone

Jen · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2020

For Pain: “So my pain is from compound fractures in my back, arthritis in my hips and knees, herniated discs. I've tried every single kind of pain medication pill wise for my pain. Of coarse Dilaudid works in the hospital as the IV way, the feeling was so amazing! But in pill form, it didn't touch a scratch of my pain. I had to go back to oxycodone. It might be because it's generic I don't know”

Always In Pain · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I had surgery for gallbladder removal. In hospital, given 2mg IM of Dilaudid every 8 hours for pain. Dose was too high, but, too far apart. I would have about 4 hours of pain relief, but, be REALLY out of it (uncomfortably so), and, 4+ hours of no pain relief. When I was switched to oral, 1 mg/4H was ineffective, as was 2mg/4h. Orally I needed 6 mg initial dose , and, 2 every hour to maintain pain relief (minimum effective dose, did not fully remove pain). As IM dose I would probably rate an 8 As an Oral: 1. Oral update is not very good.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more June 1, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Used hydromorphone for breakthrough pain. In my case, methadone is the regularly-scheduled pain med. For 12 years, I was taking 16 mg every two hours as needed for breath through pain. For approximately the last year, the dose was reduced to 8 mg every 8 hours as needed for breakthrough pain. The 89.5% reduction made the use of this pain medicine superfluous. About two weeks ago, it was changed to 8 mg every six hours as needed. The reason for the decrease in intervals between doses was because of a fall that I had had.”

Btrans May 3, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I have had kidney stones since I was 16. I’m 43. Toridol only works when a stronger drug is presented with it. I have had over 350 kidney stones, over 53 lithotripsy’s & 6 kidney stents. Toridol & morphine work, but not that great, I break out from the morphine, however toridol & Dilaudid literally Knick the pain out, 1 dosage of 4mg thru the IV, and then that’s it, lasts for hours! The pill form, actually takes longer obviously but lasts long. I don’t and typically refuse Dilaudid bc it’s an addictive drug, but when I have major pain, I’ll take it, one of the strongest drugs for pain. Unfortunately I have a a genetic form of stones so I will always have it! Just make sure when you take it you are lying down. I give 10 ⭐️”

Dck · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “Had oosteomyelitis, was administered dilaudid in the ER worked amazingly, was the only dose I ever got but boy that stuff worked...”

Endometriosisgal88 February 22, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I've had morphine, toradol and dilaudid through IV for pain relief And a very high tolerance for pain. Toradol does absolutely nothing for my pain. If I thought that an 800mg ibuprofen could stop or help the pain I wouldn't be in the emergency dept spending $200.00 copay seeking pain relief. They then switch me to morphine and zofran which immediately makes my stomach gurgle and gives me a head rush and then within ten minutes I'm back in pain. However when using dilaudid. I've noticed that I am out of intolerable pain and I'm ok not nauseous and I can function better. And the analgesic effect lasts three times as long for me so I don't keep bothering them telling them I'm still in pain. I wish drs would actually listen to their patients instead of just being dismissive... I'm aware that I'm there a lot it's a chronic condition that theres no cure for.”

Zoei · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: “I have been given Dilaudid for sciatic nerve pain and took only .05 mg at 6pm and it is now 4:30 am and have not been able to fall asleep, if you. Cannot sleep so I put up with pain and ditched this pill. I felt like I was on a slow high, omg what a horrible feeling”

Mar Man January 13, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I went into ER with really high blood pressure. My head was exploding. They gave this drug in my IV. I fell asleep for 6 hrs. Woke up and could not talk or walk. I also developed uncontrollable bowels for several months. It has been horrendous. It has subsided but I still suffer from this daily. I don't take trips too far from home. This is a dangerous drug.”

Davy Jones · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I have bad pain from Spinal stenosis-severe. I had been up to 50 mcg Fentanyl Patches and you never know how much is really in your system. I live way down south and the hot weather made Dilaudid an obvious choice.”

Sad state no real name · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 5, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “2007 fell 30 feet + 70 pound rucksack, I lost my vision, damaged my skull, neck, entire spine, ribs, hips and knees. Next 4 years my docs gave me "unlimited" T+Cod 400mg x 8 a day. I grew a mass in my liver & unable to perform so they kicked me out. A civilian doctor after doing full work on me found I lacked an enzyme to crack the codeine into the active ingredient and prescribed 2mg of Hydromorphone. It worked immediately!!! It was the first time I was able to breathe with out pain and actually slept 3 hours.”

Oreo · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 26, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I use both hydromorphone contin and short acting and it was not until my doctor added the long lasting that I finally got some relief”

The Bus · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: “Best pain relief around for my severe and disabling peripheral neuropathy. Injections work best because most pills lose almost half of their potency in the GI tract. Relief is rapid, decreases my pain level from my usual 8 to 4 and lasts several hours. Anti-convulsive medications like Gabapentin do absolutely nothing in my case, while Dilaudid absolutely improves my quality of life as a 10-year chronic pain patient.”

Kracker55 December 21, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “Have been on 7.5 Percocet for years for my AS and herniated disc’s. Got a kidney stone this week and ER asked if I wanted pain meds IV or injection I took injection. I had zero idea what they gave me but I was amazed when it worked way better than my Percocet. I have struggled for years trying to get through a month on my script of 5 a day. No Extended extended release meds seem to help. When I got home I saw they gave me Dilaudid 1mg. I got excited because I thought this medication is a level below Percocet but found out 1mg of Dilaudid is equal to 3.33 Percocet. It really burns me up that pain management feels one size fits all. I never digested oral medication well example is I take testosterone injections because my body absorbed 0 of the patch and gel. It’s obvious I do best on injections. I will lobby my PM Dr but am sure that will be considered a no no”

Gmom · Taken for 10 years or more November 12, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: “Dilaudid is short acting for pain and after awhile it didn’t work. I was screaming in pain due to have surgery on my back and stomach at the same time. My morphine pump needs to be changed. I’ve been on morphine for 11 years”

CRPS dude · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 17, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I have Chronic regional pain syndrome (CRPS) in my left arm. I take low dose dilaudid at 1mg (1/2 a 2mg tab) on days where the pain flares just don't stop, it helps me get through a work day. Occasionally I will take a full tab, but that's rare. I can only take it for 3-4 days in a row max before I start feeling the craving for more, so I stop for a week. I was severely addicted to Percocet, Fentanyl Patches and Xanax 10 years ago.. never again. This drug doesn't work when my pain is 8 or higher.. nothing does. It's more like a temporary bandage that helps for a few days and then has to be removed.. This disease really sucks.. 5+ years and counting..”

TMV · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 26, 2019

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: “Was on exalgo for chronic pain. Got zero pain relief from 32 mg daily dose. After taking it for a year, I went off it cold turkey with ZERO withdrawal symptoms and ZERO change in severe chronic pain.”

Rhino · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I was administered Dilaudid following spiral fractures of my tibia and fibula. It literally took my breath away with how strong and sudden the effects were, and looking back I can see why this has the potential for abuse and why pain seekers go to the ER and try to score this. Additionally, I definitely recommend Zofran paired with it, because one of the times I was administered it they left off the Zofran and I became extremely nauseous.”

Ash · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “I’m a cancer patient with severe back pain. At some point the pills stopped helping me ( maybe after 2-3 days especially after my second chemo and lack of calcium in my bones). However IV is still working l. I did several attempts in the last 3 days to move to pills but unsuccessful. I need to find a way to control the back pain before I discharge otherwise I will be in ER again.”

sarge · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 12, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I had total knee replacement surgery July 4 2018. Before surgery I could function normally, but after surgery it got worse. Bbefore surgery had no pain no drugs and could function now I have brace , on drugs and problem walking with pressure .”

GhostDancer · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I was put on Hydromorphone 2mg four times a day and one extra for break through pain, my problem is L5 is bulging and compressing the nerve root, not much worse than nerve pain, however this drug did not touch the pain, just gave me brain fog :((”

Claire · Taken for less than 1 month April 13, 2019

For Pain: “Use: Oral, 2mg every 4 hours following rectal surgery. This is the most ineffective pain reliever I have ever taken. Sitz baths and Ibuprofen were way more effective for me. Most alarmingly this medication CAN ABSOLUTELY can affect your mood, behavior, anger, aggression, and anxiety in a pretty horrific fashion. I'm really glad people have found relief with this medication. I am not one of them. I didn't finish the prescription, and am totally disgusted with the medical community's response at my attempts to discuss switching to something considered 'less potent', because no one wants to touch anything related to pain medication these days.”

Tiger · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 3, 2019

Hydromorph Contin (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: “I have real pain but have been treated as drug addict. MY addiction is being pain free so I can work, and socialize with my friends & family. I had a back operation in 2000 not long afterwards the leg(sciatica) pain came back. I was prescribed quick release pain medication. OXY. My new doc weaned me off the oxy and put me on slow release Hydromorph Contin. and now I can function. The doc explained, on quick release tablets my pain is spiking up and down all day long, you have pain and then you take a pill. Time released capsules slowly administer pain relief through the day and it works well for me. This medication has saved my life. Thank you Dr. For first saving my life, and now giving me a life.”

Bobsmate · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: “I was 70 years old and I was getting ready for work! I was going to the door and all of a sudden I was going down! Since I had a Total Knee replacement I turned my body around! Stupid thing for me to do! I broke my back! Then I fell on the floor and broke it again! I have had 2 major surgeries on my back! I have been in major pain for over 10 years! I live on Dilauded and morphine (not at the same time) I go to a pain clinic for my medication! I don’t know what I would do with out pain medications!”

imchipper February 5, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Cough: “I take Dilaudid for severe chronic migraines, for which it is a godsend. I have now developed acute bronchitis (I assume), related to a recent chest cold. The Dilaudid has really calmed my incessant hacking, and also helps any accompanying headache. I'm also taking ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and antihistamines regularly, which seems to help. I guess time is the only real cure — ugh!”

dj · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: “The IV reduced my back pain the oral medication did not work at all.”