User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 786 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 1 reviews 7 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 320 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Hydromorphone

For Pain: "Broke my back and was sent home the same day. This is what my family dr put me on for breakthrough pain and 150mcg/h of fentanyl for full time pain management. I recommend the Hydromorphone just not the fentanyl"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 7, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I had a splenectomy and given dilaudid in my IV afterwards for pain. It made me feel nauseous and felt like I was gonna pass out. I told my nurse and she told me it was normal. Well I stopped breathing, thankfully I was revived. When I woke up my room was full of people and even a chaplain. Scariest day of my life. After that I managed my pain with only Tylenol."

DilaudidNeverAgainPlease November 29, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I broke my back in 02, i was sent home 4 hrs after being told i broke my back in 2 places. It was a Saturday morning and i was handed 2 demerol pills and told to get a hold of my family doctor for full time pain management. I was put on 8mg hydromorphone every 4 to 6 hours. After being told the fractures were mended, i had a whole bunch of uninary problems, and paralysis to parts of my body for a week to 5 months. After being told everything had mended i tried to go back to work, i just couldnt wasnt enought pain control so dr added 150mcg/h of fentanyl. Now i only take the Hydromorphone for break through pain"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "i just had a total abdominal hysterectomy done 3 days ago 11/15/16. Dilaudid was awful for me. I was given it via IV along with anti neasea meds. Every time I could feel a wave of warmth and then within mins was vomiting terribly. I told them 11 hours after surgery that I didn't want any more and to giver only Tylenol. The vomiting stopped. I wouldn't recommend this at all"

Tina1017 November 19, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I've suffered from reoccurring kidney stones for about five years and i'm only 18. After trying numerous medications to control my pain, i was given Dilauded in my IV and it SAVED ME. Nothing works better for me, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have kidney stones, please talk to your doctor about dilauded. It'll save you a lot of time!!"

codes November 11, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was shot in my chest in April 2016 and was in the hospital for a month. Diluadid was the pain reliever they chose for me, and it worked GREAT. For the first two weeks the pain was unbearable, but I had the IV drip of dilaudid every 10 minutes, which worked great. I was not aware of how powerful it is for pain, but it only lasts so long. I guess my pain was so bad that for the longest time I had it every 10 minutes. Anyway, it did great and I don't think I could have handled the pain without it."

Kaitie Did (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "No stomach upset. No increase of dosing, I actually use half of what I was first prescribed, almost 5 years ago. Can still function, allowing some quality of life."

Littledebbie55303 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 25, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I gave this medication a 5 and here's why.When I was in the hospital and Dilaudid was put in my Iv, it managed my pain GREAT. It kept me mostly pain free and comfortable enough to be able to sleep at night. Wonderful for my back pain.Now on the other hand,ORAL DILAUDID does not work at all.I thought it was just me after I was Rx'd them for BT pain but my pharmacist agrees. So I give Dilaudid that's given through an Iv a 10 but the ORAL formulation of this medication I give a 0.Again,this is not just me,my pharmacy told me they've gotten many complaints of ORAL Dilaudid not providing relief."

sopranofan (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given 1 mg Dilaudid IV every 2 hours after gallbladder surgery. It controlled my pain better than the Morphine and I had no side effects."

Becky S. September 21, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Was given this medicine after bunion surgery and not told what the effects might be. got very tired, nauseated and very dry mouthed immediately was also given nausea medicine with this. Went into respiratory arrest and cardio arrest at the same time. Thank god I was revived. I was clinically dead. This stuff is terrible"

Dead an Back September 15, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "In Sept 2006 I was in a bus accident had been in such pain nothing was working, my blood pressure would sky rocket do to the pain, nothing was helping until I got the Dilaudid IV in the hospital, I also have to take zofran for nausea. I had overgone 5 back surgeries in 10 years. I never needed pain medication until the bus accident. They tried tordol, morphine, percocet, but nothing helped. I was on a high dosage of Dilaudid for 3 years until my screws were removed in 11-2013. I have been going off dilaudid for 3 yrs now. I take 3. 4 mg tabs a day it takes almost 1 hour to work, but it only helps the pain for about 3-4 hours. This should only be used when nothing else will. I am so thankful."

BackPain2006 September 14, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and endometriosis. When I am in the hospital they always give me a low dose 0.5mg in IV form and it takes the pain away for 3-4 hours. They tried morphine but that only last for literally 30 minutes. It makes me sleep good and the pain is gone for like I said 3-4 hours. IV push every 4 hours. It's a miracle drug!"

ThatVeganChick74 September 1, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Had absolutely no effect on controlling pain even after Surgeon included Valium and increasing Dilaudid doseage."

Shawn Wayne (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Im on around the clock opiate therapy, so when I have something major come up, like a kidney stone, I have a hard time finding a medicine, then being able to take and mix it with my current medications.I had a kidney stone about 6 months ago, and the urologist gave me 60, 4mg hydromorphone tablets; they were useless, I took them back, he didn't want them, so I flushed them down the toilet.He prescribed Demerol 50mg 1 or 2 tabs every 4 hours, and it worked like a charm. I will say, when I went to the ER for the kidney stone, the IV Dilaudid worked wanders, but taking it by mouth was absolutely a waste, not to mention the money I spent, getting the prescription filled, to literally flush it down the toilet. No good orally, for MY pain."

Johnny C (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I have an intraethical Morphine Pump Implant now since 2002. Hydromorphone was recommended as the 'break through pain' treatment. I take, typically, a 2mg pill roughly every two to six hours and that appears adequate. Unfortunately, in times of higher pain, when the pump appears inadequate, I have had to take more of the pills. The more I use, the more I felt I needed to use them. When I 'sucked it up' and endured a little higher than usual pain for a day or two, taking less Hydromorphone, I was then able to restart the pills and they had a better effect. I guess to sum it up, taking a break from the pills once in a while ensured that they were still effective."

tough old guy July 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "Best pain reliever I've ever used. The only negative is how quickly tolerance develops."

MikeSinOhio (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I have severe fibromyalgia and possibly still undiagnosed endometriosis. I'm currently in the hospital (admitted) and they have been giving me 1mg of dilaudid every 4-5 hours for pain. It helps so much but eventually it wears off within the 3rd hour. This is through the IV. I have been sitting up and getting back to my self. The 2 cons: super drowsiness and it is addictive. I worry becoming dependent on it but at the same time it relieves my pain better than Norco."

SUPER EFFECTIVE AND IT HELPS June 22, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have had chronic kidney stones for 10 yrs. Over 200 stones, over 35 stone related surgeries. Can't take Toradol, Morphine, or Zofran. 2 mg of Dilaudid IV and Phenegran eases the pain in about 30-45 seconds-flat. Just close your eyes and sleep--immediately. It doesn't last a long time, 3-4 hrs. However, the relief is almost instant and complete. No drug I have ever taken compares. Can make you loopy, and NO DRIVING!!! I only take it when the pain is unbearable-it is very addictive, if over used."

cowompa June 19, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Loved it. I suffer from chronic pain from MS and back issues and this medication is very good for my pain. I take 4 8mg tabs a day along with opana 40mg and that seems to do the job"

Crazyjaywithms (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2016

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Given instead of Oxycodone was told it is much stronger/potent since I started requiring higher doses because my body became use to the dose. Did not help me made me nauseous and gave me a headache. I get the whole government trying to crack down on opiate abuse but for those of us that live in constant intolerable pain it is an endless battle to get pain relief wether it's from DR ,Insurance Companies , pharmaceutical companies manufacturing bad generics that don't work sometimes I feel it would be easier to well you can image"

Pskeggy (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I started taking Exalgo about 3 weeks ago after 20+ years of trying every other opiate and non-opiate pain med with little to no relief, especially once I became immune to them. I've been on disability since 2010 and been seeing a PM doc since about 2009 and in March he talked to me about trying an IR. I researched my insurance and when I saw him in April we decided on Exalgo 24mg per day with 15mg roxi backer. They seem to be working ok, but doc told me to take both 12mg caps in the am together which I did for about a week until I read here that others were taking them at 12 HR intervals so I tried that and it seems as tho they are causing me to not sleep. I have been waking up about 4/4:30am every day since. Anyone else having issues?"

LORIDCOCHRAN (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I was taking 80 mg. day of oxycodone (percocet 10 mg. + 325 acetaminophen per pill ) and finally found a pain doctor who is a psychiatrist and a neurologist as well as a pain mgmt. specialist and an addiction treatment specialist. He asked how long the percocet worked for me. I said 2 to 2 ½ hours. He said based on the number of years I had taken it (4) and the increases of dosages over those years (beginning of 4 mg. 4 x day to 8 mg. 6 x day over 4 years) that I had become tolerant to oxycodone. He put me on exalgo 32 mg. extended release once/day which is hydromorphone which is dilaudid and 4 mg. dilaudid/hydromorphone (the same drug but not timed release) for break through pain 4xday. It was pretty amazing. My pain just stopped."

tonyplake (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "After having 2 surgeries to my spine because of a fracture that was over looked. I had to be put on a morphine pump or what is known as a pain pump. This pump is placed within a pocket of fat that the doctors must fill ever 45 to 60 days. For several years I was given morphine into the pump. I do not recall any side affects to this. Due to the pain getting worse I made the request for a medication other than the morphine. I was placed then on Dilaudid/Clonidine which has been increased over the years. In February 2016 I started experiencing the side affects of withdrawal. My mouth stays dry, ears ringing, blood pressure increase to dangers levels. At the ER I was checked to see if I was having a stroke, with all test negative. BAD RX"

gcassels April 18, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Definitely effective against serious pain. However the side-effect warnings are serious too. This drug suppresses breathing and I was scared the first time I took a single pill. Kept 'forgetting' to breathe. Ever since, I've used a pill splitter to split the pill in half and this has proven a manageable dose. I hardly ever take these, though, because I don't want to become habituated."

Martinson99 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was placed under general anesthesia for surgery. In recovery the tube placed in my throat for inhalation had not been removed before I woke up. I was in a panic. I was screaming in my head that I can suffocating and yet in reality no one could hear me. I had been given dilaudid along with a few other medications. Later in my hospital room I where I was again given dilaudid. I was not able to get anyone's attention, but felt that if I fell asleep I would never wake up. Either the experience or the medication caused me to have to concentrate on just breathing. For pain it was great, but for breathing it seems like a nightmare."

Ok Dokey April 11, 2016