User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Also known as: Dilaudid, Dilaudid-HP, Exalgo, Hydromorph Contin, Hydrostat IR, Palladone

Learn more about Hydromorphone.

Cough 1 reviews 784 medications

Anesthetic Adjunct 1 reviews 7 medications

7.5
Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 306 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Hydromorphone

For Chronic Pain: "I have an intraethical Morphine Pump Implant now since 2002. Hydromorphone was recommended as the 'break through pain' treatment. I take, typically, a 2mg pill roughly every two to six hours and that appears adequate. Unfortunately, in times of higher pain, when the pump appears inadequate, I have had to take more of the pills. The more I use, the more I felt I needed to use them. When I 'sucked it up' and endured a little higher than usual pain for a day or two, taking less Hydromorphone, I was then able to restart the pills and they had a better effect. I guess to sum it up, taking a break from the pills once in a while ensured that they were still effective."

tough old guy July 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "Best pain reliever I've ever used. The only negative is how quickly tolerance develops."

MikeSinOhio (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I have severe fibromyalgia and possibly still undiagnosed endometriosis. I'm currently in the hospital (admitted) and they have been giving me 1mg of dilaudid every 4-5 hours for pain. It helps so much but eventually it wears off within the 3rd hour. This is through the IV. I have been sitting up and getting back to my self. The 2 cons: super drowsiness and it is addictive. I worry becoming dependent on it but at the same time it relieves my pain better than Norco."

SUPER EFFECTIVE AND IT HELPS June 22, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have had chronic kidney stones for 10 yrs. Over 200 stones, over 35 stone related surgeries. Can't take Toradol, Morphine, or Zofran. 2 mg of Dilaudid IV and Phenegran eases the pain in about 30-45 seconds-flat. Just close your eyes and sleep--immediately. It doesn't last a long time, 3-4 hrs. However, the relief is almost instant and complete. No drug I have ever taken compares. Can make you loopy, and NO DRIVING!!! I only take it when the pain is unbearable-it is very addictive, if over used."

cowompa June 19, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Loved it. I suffer from chronic pain from MS and back issues and this medication is very good for my pain. I take 4 8mg tabs a day along with opana 40mg and that seems to do the job"

Crazyjaywithms (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2016

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Given instead of Oxycodone was told it is much stronger/potent since I started requiring higher doses because my body became use to the dose. Did not help me made me nauseous and gave me a headache. I get the whole government trying to crack down on opiate abuse but for those of us that live in constant intolerable pain it is an endless battle to get pain relief wether it's from DR ,Insurance Companies , pharmaceutical companies manufacturing bad generics that don't work sometimes I feel it would be easier to well you can image"

Pskeggy (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I started taking Exalgo about 3 weeks ago after 20+ years of trying every other opiate and non-opiate pain med with little to no relief, especially once I became immune to them. I've been on disability since 2010 and been seeing a PM doc since about 2009 and in March he talked to me about trying an IR. I researched my insurance and when I saw him in April we decided on Exalgo 24mg per day with 15mg roxi backer. They seem to be working ok, but doc told me to take both 12mg caps in the am together which I did for about a week until I read here that others were taking them at 12 HR intervals so I tried that and it seems as tho they are causing me to not sleep. I have been waking up about 4/4:30am every day since. Anyone else having issues?"

LORIDCOCHRAN (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

Exalgo (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I was taking 80 mg. day of oxycodone (percocet 10 mg. + 325 acetaminophen per pill ) and finally found a pain doctor who is a psychiatrist and a neurologist as well as a pain mgmt. specialist and an addiction treatment specialist. He asked how long the percocet worked for me. I said 2 to 2 ½ hours. He said based on the number of years I had taken it (4) and the increases of dosages over those years (beginning of 4 mg. 4 x day to 8 mg. 6 x day over 4 years) that I had become tolerant to oxycodone. He put me on exalgo 32 mg. extended release once/day which is hydromorphone which is dilaudid and 4 mg. dilaudid/hydromorphone (the same drug but not timed release) for break through pain 4xday. It was pretty amazing. My pain just stopped."

tonyplake (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 28, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "After having 2 surgeries to my spine because of a fracture that was over looked. I had to be put on a morphine pump or what is known as a pain pump. This pump is placed within a pocket of fat that the doctors must fill ever 45 to 60 days. For several years I was given morphine into the pump. I do not recall any side affects to this. Due to the pain getting worse I made the request for a medication other than the morphine. I was placed then on Dilaudid/Clonidine which has been increased over the years. In February 2016 I started experiencing the side affects of withdrawal. My mouth stays dry, ears ringing, blood pressure increase to dangers levels. At the ER I was checked to see if I was having a stroke, with all test negative. BAD RX"

gcassels April 18, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Definitely effective against serious pain. However the side-effect warnings are serious too. This drug suppresses breathing and I was scared the first time I took a single pill. Kept 'forgetting' to breathe. Ever since, I've used a pill splitter to split the pill in half and this has proven a manageable dose. I hardly ever take these, though, because I don't want to become habituated."

Martinson99 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was placed under general anesthesia for surgery. In recovery the tube placed in my throat for inhalation had not been removed before I woke up. I was in a panic. I was screaming in my head that I can suffocating and yet in reality no one could hear me. I had been given dilaudid along with a few other medications. Later in my hospital room I where I was again given dilaudid. I was not able to get anyone's attention, but felt that if I fell asleep I would never wake up. Either the experience or the medication caused me to have to concentrate on just breathing. For pain it was great, but for breathing it seems like a nightmare."

Ok Dokey April 11, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I was first given hydromorphone while in the hospital with Pancreatitis and an acute gall bladder. This is a wonder drug! I was in more pain than any person should ever have, the first IV medication I was given was demerol, I didn't know it but I was hallucinating on the demerol Well once they found out I was hallucinating they then put me on hydromorphone..OMG what a wonderful pain medication! I ended up with a PIC line since I was there so long and have terrible veins! So at this point the hydromorphone was given IV push. Literally once they started giving it to me I could count.. 1, 2, relief!! Today, 8 years later I take 12 mg of hydromorphone every 3-4 hours for chronic pancreatitis and it is still the BEST pain medication."

BG2 March 17, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I had an open hemicolectomy a few months back, and they had me on this stuff for a week. I am resistant to a lot of pain meds, and pain was so bad when it ran out, I really appreciated it despite the disorientation and floaty feeling it gave me, I was sleeping as much as possible anyway. They gave me Tramodol when I got out of the hospital, and it was nowhere near as effective, even in a double dose."

GATexas (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have a history of kidney stones for more than 15 yrs already . and this medication is far the quickest n effective ..highly recommended. ."

channii8 February 27, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "Wonderful drug. Kept pain at bay between 1st and 2nd surgeries for broken leg and ankle, compound fracture. Is also working to mantain quality of life while bones are pinned waiting for 3rd surgery."

Phred125437 February 26, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "My husband is in the hospital right now and they put a brand new knee in and he was doing pretty good until they gave him that drug. It was horrible for him. He was like a different person. He did not know where he was or even who we were. He was screaming for someone to call the police. I cannot imagine anyone taking that. Norco 10 is the strongest thing he can take and that is just one pill when needed. He took one dose of that and that is all....horrible experience for him."

Left knee revision (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given 1mg IV prior to surgery. The first 30 seconds were scary, I felt warmth spreading through my body and my vision was blurry. I was instructed to close my eyes. After the initial strangeness passed, I felt no pain at all. This is powerful, but when in pain, it did the trick quickly."

Kidney Stone January 10, 2016

Hydromorph Contin (hydromorphone) for Pain: "It doesn't work for sudden acute pain at all...too slow"

old grey mare December 27, 2015

For Chronic Pain: "After having been diagnosed with a rare type of multiple sclerosis called "Malignant Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis" (also known as Marbug Variant MS) there was not much for the doctors to do for me but to put me on a cocktail of pain medications that would 'hopefully' help to keep me comfortable while in the throws of relentless chronic pain. Eventually I was given Dilaudid 8mg oral tablet to help with the pain. It eventually stopped working as good so the dosage was increased to 16mg per 4 hours. And that is what I am currently taking. Because my rare form of MS has no treatments, no medications..it's just a progressive downward spiral. I'm now fully bedridden and a spectator of life. But I'm so grateful for dilaudid! Recommend"

Grammy2014 December 5, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "This is an incredible drug - I'm 25 and living with MS. Subsequently I have terrible spasms in back that are non-stop. I've been on this drug for over three years and have absolutely no complaints. I've tried 12 other pain meds before this - all of them making me very high, nauseated or sleepy. Then comes along Dilaudid - my doctor decided to try me on it because I was having such a hard time with all of the other drugs. From the moment I took the first dose I have been pain free - without any side effects what-so-ever. Because I have been on it for so long I have become tolerant to it so I have to begin the search for a new drug. Anyone looking for a pain med - this is the route to go."

tubaguy9008 November 28, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I had abdominal surgery and after post op I was back in my room on a dilaudid iv pump. The pain management was great but had a bad side effect. It caused mt to have hallucinations. I don't know if it was to high of a dose are not, but I was seeing weird people in my room, under my bed, I saw monsters, snakes and they all were trying to get me. I was screaming and asking for help. I had to have my wife stay with me cause I could not close my eyes to sleep. I literally felt like I was in a Freddie Kruger movie. I now list this as a drug allergy when asked if I'm allergic to any medications. I never want to experience that again"

Neveragaininmylife November 20, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I received this medication on multiple occasions. Typically the situation involved me being awake for a small surgical procedure. Though this became a typical procedure that I grew used to and at times would receive with only local anesthetics, the times I had dilaudid were far better. It reduced my anxiety for the situation and didn't cause me to feel too out of it after the procedure was done (maybe about 20 minutes?)."

:) (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I am used to Percocet due to years of back pain. In the hospital after a kidney procedure I had some moderate pain that morphine IV did not impact. I got one IV of dilaudid and the pain level decreased to a very acceptable level and I went home with virtually no pain"

Anonymous October 23, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I arrived at work and started to feel pain in my back and side of the abdomen. Since I have experienced this pain before, I recognized it as a kidney stone starting the trek down the urinary tract. After about 3 hours the pain maxed out and was accompanied by nausea. A coworker took me to the ER and after about 30-45 minutes of interrogation, they finally hooked me to an IV and provided a cocktail of drugs including Dilaudid, Flomax (for urine flow) and Zofran (for nausea). Almost immediately I felt a warm feeling all over and relaxed. I was able to doze for an hour or so relatively pain free. For me the Dilaudid worked perfectly, but I didn't note the exact dosage and it was a one-time thing."

MMRedSox October 6, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was admitted yesterday 9-29-15 in mission regional hospital.. I was in pain due that I have diverticulitis... I was put in IV .. with this medication called DILAUDID.. it was horrible.. I started seeing everthing moving.. I couldn't stop vomiting.. I would try to have my eyes open but I was so dizzy.. for me this is the worst medication.. I have never felt like this with other pain killers.."

Luciana Ontiveros (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015