User Reviews for Hydromorphone

Chronic Pain
8.1

Summary of Hydromorphone reviews 8.3 380 reviews

Reviews for Hydromorphone

For Chronic Pain: "I was put on Hydromorphone 2mg four times a day and one extra for break through pain, my problem is L5 is bulging and compressing the nerve root, not much worse than nerve pain, however this drug did not touch the pain, just gave me brain fog :(("

GhostDancer (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2019

For Pain: "Use: Oral, 2mg every 4 hours following rectal surgery. This is the most ineffective pain reliever I have ever taken. Sitz baths and Ibuprofen were way more effective for me. Most alarmingly this medication CAN ABSOLUTELY can affect your mood, behavior, anger, aggression, and anxiety in a pretty horrific fashion. I'm really glad people have found relief with this medication. I am not one of them. I didn't finish the prescription, and am totally disgusted with the medical community's response at my attempts to discuss switching to something considered 'less potent', because no one wants to touch anything related to pain medication these days."

Claire (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2019

Hydromorph Contin (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I have real pain but have been treated as drug addict. MY addiction is being pain free so I can work, and socialize with my friends & family. I had a back operation in 2000 not long afterwards the leg(sciatica) pain came back. I was prescribed quick release pain medication. OXY. My new doc weaned me off the oxy and put me on slow release Hydromorph Contin. and now I can function. The doc explained, on quick release tablets my pain is spiking up and down all day long, you have pain and then you take a pill. Time released capsules slowly administer pain relief through the day and it works well for me. This medication has saved my life. Thank you Dr. For first saving my life, and now giving me a life."

Tiger (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I was 70 years old and I was getting ready for work! I was going to the door and all of a sudden I was going down! Since I had a Total Knee replacement I turned my body around! Stupid thing for me to do! I broke my back! Then I fell on the floor and broke it again! I have had 2 major surgeries on my back! I have been in major pain for over 10 years! I live on Dilauded and morphine (not at the same time) I go to a pain clinic for my medication! I don’t know what I would do with out pain medications!"

Bobsmate (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Cough: "I take Dilaudid for severe chronic migraines, for which it is a godsend. I have now developed acute bronchitis (I assume), related to a recent chest cold. The Dilaudid has really calmed my incessant hacking, and also helps any accompanying headache. I'm also taking ibuprofen, acetaminophen, and antihistamines regularly, which seems to help. I guess time is the only real cure — ugh!"

imchipper February 5, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "The IV reduced my back pain the oral medication did not work at all."

dj (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2019

For Chronic Pain: "I've taken almost all pain meds in my entire life. I have Sickle Cell Anemia (SS-Hb). So I need something strong for my pain crisis episodes. I've been on this med in the start of my adult years (I'm 44). Started on 2 mg in my 20's & started doing nothing. Then doctor put me on 8 mg (which is the highest) & I started getting dependent & I didn't like that. So she dropped me to 4 mg, which I feel safe on. (FYI: The 8 mg doesn't come in IV form, it's too strong). It works for me when I take my 4 mg every 4 hrs. But their is a difference with the effectiveness of the brand Dilaudid vs. generic Hydromorphone. Truthfully, I like the brand better b/c it's more effective on my pain. Also given through IV in the hospital totally hit my pain on the spot! But because of my insurance plan, I get the generic. It works but wears off over time."

smilingtiff (taken for 10 years or more) January 20, 2019

Hydromorph Contin (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "As of December 2018 Hydromorph Contin now comes in name brand and generic. My rating of 10/10 is for the original name brand, it has been the only medication that has helped me with my pain besides fentynal, I've tried everything and nothing else works. As for the generics (2/10) made by apotex they are not good for pain relief and they end up giving me a migraine and make me extremely tired. I do not know what the chemical differences are between the name brand and the generics are but there is something that is drastically reducing the effectiveness of the hydromorph. Unfortunately the generics are the only option to be covered by any government insurance. I will be paying the difference to get the name brand from this point on. I suggest that if you're prescribed hydromorph contin to try both the name brand and the generics as I have found that there is a huge difference between the two and one might work better for you."

JT Aries December 11, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Dilaudid is just delicious! I suffer from severe Spinal Stenosis and often times the pain is unbearable. When necessary, I enter the E.R. and explain my condition. An understanding doctor will prescribe this drug, I.M. and I will soon then begin to feel immediate pain relief."

Veganman (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 18, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "Very effective time release for chronic pain. It is NOT as effective as Opana was but it works much better than Oxycontin ER did. I have not had any problems with it being addictive. I take it once a day. One pill lasts 24 hours. I have not had any side effects from it. It does not make me feel "doped up" or high."

Bekka (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have disc problems and plates in my neck. I also suffer from severe migraines with loss of the myelin sheath that surrounds the nerve fibers. I have been on morphine and oxicodone but nothing works like dilaudid does. I think it is better than the other two."

aucte pain w/migraine (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

Dilaudid-HP (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I had surgery that was out patient but was put under general anesthesia which to me means it is serious. Vicodin does not work 4 me. I am allergic to Percocet. I specifically asked for DEMEROL. My doctor gave me Dilaudid. THE WORST!!! Nausea, Lightheaded, no pain relief or positive effects but he claimed it was stronger therefore should be better. I'm not a Dr. BUT I know what works on MY BODY. He could have just given me a smaller Dosage of Demerol. Instead of 30 that don't work, I would have taken 12 that do."

Truthteller (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "I have found that oxycontin, and oxycodone IR work much better than hydromorphone orally for my pain."

Anonymous June 19, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was given dilaudid for pain while in the ER for diverticulitis. Not good as my breathing was suppressed and had to be monitored for days after. I will never get this pain med again."

Pony Tail April 16, 2018

For Pain: "This drug was / is completely ineffective for my pain. I am taking it for three days now . I started getting lengthy muscle spasms within two hours after starting this medication. I will be withdrawing from it tomorrow after I see my Doctor."

Chicky (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I have tryed everything for my pain I finally was given this medication 4 mg it worked excellent definitely happy being pain free for a change I can resume my normal activities now"

Redcherry1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 31, 2018

For Pain: "Given this for muscle rotator cuff repair had a paradoxical effect 5 mins past ingestion pain level went from a 8 to a level 16"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "I had ankle reconstruction surgery. They gave me 1-2mg every 4 hours and it did absolutely nothing to help with the pain. Sounds like only the IV is the only successful route. I had to ask for stronger meds which did the trick. I wouldn’t bother with such a low dosage. It doesn’t do anything for you."

You need a high dosage (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I have a low tolerance for pain and after a outpatient surgical procedure I was prescribed percoset for pain. They didn't help, so the doctor prescribed oxycontin. It work but it made me nauseated. He then prescribed dilaudid. It really helped to ease the pain, I experienced none of the side effects, except constipation. I took it every 4 hours, then as I healed I decreased the does to every 6 hours then I took one only at night. After the pain was gone, I stopped taking the medication and experienced no withdrawal issues."

MariaG2000 January 23, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I suffered respiratory depression when given this in the ER for pain after a fall. After that my life for 8 months was lived being criticallly ill with Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) like a nightmare. I am a miracle to be alive still."

Dreamer2015 January 18, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Use caution while driving, when using this medication."

Dokken (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2018

For Chronic Pain: "Hydromorphone has been the best out of 3-5 other medications tried over a twenty year span. I do not tolerate extended release meds well. They give me horrid insomnia, worse than it is generally. After about 3 days on extended release I can sleep no longer than 3 hours. With 8mg hydromorphone I have some insomnia but this is far lesser when compared to being on ER meds. Over five years time I have become dose tolerant. I started at 4 mg doses, then to 8 mg doses, and currently taking 16 mg doses...that is two 8mg tabs every 3-4 hours, as long as 5 hours between doses on a good day. I have chronic pain caused by RSD/CRPS. ANY MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL OUGHT TO BE FAMILIAR WITH THIS MOST DREADED OF CONDITIONS."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 1, 2017

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I was at work one night and my gallbladder ruptured on me. That was the worst pain I have ever experienced! The pain was so bad that I was drifting in and out of consciousness. Was airlifted to a trauma center and had emergency surgery. They couldn't do it the laparoscopic way because they had to do the surgery in a rush to hurry and get it out. Was given Dilaudid through IV every 4 hours after surgery. Was very helpful! Didn't feel any pain at all because it pretty much knocked me out."

TyAustin (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2017

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Pain: "I had a spinal interbody fusion and dilaudid barely touched the pain at all. they had to give me muscle relaxer, nerve pill, and 10 mg oxycodone top go with the Dilaudid. and after all that I still hurt."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2017

Dilaudid (hydromorphone) for Chronic Pain: "Had a motorcycle accident in 2013 and broke 3 vertebrae, 6 ribs and my pelvis. I was given morphine in the ER, but it wasn't putting even a dent in my pain. I asked if there was anything else they could give me and dilaudid was the answer. IV administration quickly relieved my pain. I describe the feeling as melting into the bed in a feeling of euphoria. I was told by hospital staff it was 8 x stronger than morphine. Easy to see how people get addicted. I was disappointed when the nurse told me they were going to start weaning me off after 3-4 days."

frankieboytwo (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2017