User Reviews for Hydromorphone to treat Pain

Also known as: Dilaudid

Hydromorphone has an average rating of 8.0 out of 10 from a total of 275 ratings for the treatment of Pain. 76% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Hydromorphone Rating Summary

8.0/10 average rating

Compare all 1432 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Hydromorphone

GG · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2021

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Very nauseated. Could not move my head.”

In pain March 2, 2021

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Dilaudid made me very nauseated so was not a good fit for me.”

Clyh February 24, 2021

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I was given this medication after surgery because my pain level was at a 10 . This medication brought my pain level to -5. This medication should not be a first choice. I have been drugged for a solid 24 hours after taking this. A 500-750 Vicodin would have worked fine. We will always have some pain after surgery some mild pain is ok but to drug someone after surgery to the extent I was is not necessary at all . It's been 24 hours and I'm still messed up.”

Virg78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2017

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia which has spread to my brain. This medication helps so much with the agonizing pain. However, even though I am a terminal cancer patient. The Government, Insurance Co. and also pain management promised I would NOT suffer. But I am. Thanks to all, plus the persons involved by ABUSING pain medications. I, a dying cancer patient will suffer without ANY pain meds. I was a former medical student high honors on the Deans list. Due to the Government, I, a future Physician will not live to treat patients with respect, dignity, empathy or sympathy. This medication, I will never have again. Due to the Horrible pain 24/7, I have had 3 heart attacks. My feeble weak body can no longer tolerate pain. It worked well.”

Endometriosisgal88 February 22, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I've had morphine, toradol and dilaudid through IV for pain relief And a very high tolerance for pain. Toradol does absolutely nothing for my pain. If I thought that an 800mg ibuprofen could stop or help the pain I wouldn't be in the emergency dept spending $200.00 copay seeking pain relief. They then switch me to morphine and zofran which immediately makes my stomach gurgle and gives me a head rush and then within ten minutes I'm back in pain. However when using dilaudid. I've noticed that I am out of intolerable pain and I'm ok not nauseous and I can function better. And the analgesic effect lasts three times as long for me so I don't keep bothering them telling them I'm still in pain. I wish drs would actually listen to their patients instead of just being dismissive... I'm aware that I'm there a lot it's a chronic condition that theres no cure for.”

Normally normal February 24, 2014

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Been on it for several years for spinal condition. Never had any uncomfortable side effects from it, and it managed my pain great. Now I have been taken off Dilaudid and put on Methadone. Nausea, periodic profuse sweating along with agonizing pain is what I'm back to. I also got tired of finding doctors that were willing to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that carried it and even if the pharmacy has them, you still have the pharmacists who decide to "play God and were not willing to fill it for you. If you are lucky enough to establish these 3. things, you're still having to deal with ignorant attitudes from people who think they know more than the orthopedic professionals that you have to see on a monthly basis.”

customs572 July 24, 2008

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Great pain narcotic, works in about 20 minutes after oral administration. I am on 4 mg tablets, every six hours, usually one a day does the trick. I also take it in conjuction with 30mg of Oxycontin ER. I can actually get out of bed and do something. Be advised though that withdrwals could be severe. I had withdrawls after last dose twelve hours ago, so you must taper off. Do it with your doctors help though.”

jonestevem · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2014

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have been on this medicine now for almost 10 years now, until recently, I've only had tolerable minor side effects, sweats and itching. Besides it relieving the pain, it is great because there are only a few other meds that it had bad interactions with (and grapefruit, the grapefruit kept the pain meds from working). Unfortunately after being on it so long, my body has gotten too used to it and no longer works for me and it has started to make my feet, ankles and calves swell. I still highly recommend Dilaudid to any one. Besides the pain relief, the withdrawals from Dilaudid are not that bad to go through.”

Jules · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Had this post-op for hip replacement. Wow. Excellent. Took about 20 seconds for pain relief. Did not make me loopy, just blocked the intense post-operative pain (went from a 10 to a 2 in 20 seconds.) Wonder drug.”

Anonymous August 20, 2008

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I take dilaudid for a severe kidney stone condition. I take the pills at home (4mg), although I start by cutting them in half and only take 2mg to start. If 2mg don't help, I take the other half of the pill for a total of 4mg. I take the dilaudid in combination with MS Contin. Like many others have said, I have tried many other pain medications and dilaudid is the ONLY thing that helps me with my pain. Morphine does not help (it makes me very sick - although the long acting MS Contin is ok). When the pills are not able to control my pain, or after surgery I take IV dilaudid, and this is the best pain medication. There have been times I've been curled in a ball in tears the pain has been so bad and this works instantly.”

ebpotter1 February 18, 2009

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I am a 62-yr old woman with a number of health-related issues that cause chronic and sometimes acute pain; including three herniated disks (C3-C6), lower back pain and bad knees. Percocet, Darvocet and Vicodin upset my stomach, so I've only been on Lodine 2x day for the past two years. My doctor suggested a trial on Dilaudid - 2mg to 4mg every 4-6 hours until I can have a knee replacement. 2mg did not make me pain-free, but definitely was an improvement. However, 4mg allowed me to walk without pain for the first time in months. It makes me sleepy, but aside from that there have been no unpleasant side effects. Dilaudid is a wonder drug for anyone who experiences chronic pain.”

OSUmedCenterTulsa · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2017

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Last week I had an old fashioned way of Gallblabber removal (20+ previous surgeries had left behind to many adhesions for a Laproscopic removal). The .5 mg Dilaudid I was given was much better than the Morphine in past surgeries. Issue: because I am a middle class lady with insurance seeing a pain management specialist for chronic pain - I was labeled a druggie!! I was given .5 to 1 mg for my ride home. I suffered horribly in pain. .5 is 1/8 the normal dose for most coming out of surgery. My previous physician (decades) had retired. He believed NO patient should suffer unnecessarily after surgery! Not these physicians and not this poor excuse for a hospital.”

Lil' Miss Priss May 12, 2014

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “A couple of summers ago, I got a spider bite that unfortunately developed into a full blown MRSA outbreak, which spread to multiple parts of my body! I ended up being hospitalized for 3 weeks while trying to clear up the horribly painful infection, where they gave Me extreme doses of antibiotics & Dilaudid (4mg) IV every 2 hours. Within moments of each dose, ALL the pain would fade away & I'd get incomparable relief!!! However on the opposite extreme, the tablet form of this medicine (hydromorphone) that the doctor sent Me home on, didn't even compare. I couldn't even tell after taking it, I would rate the pill form a 1!”

aucte pain w/migraine · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have disc problems and plates in my neck. I also suffer from severe migraines with loss of the myelin sheath that surrounds the nerve fibers. I have been on morphine and oxicodone but nothing works like dilaudid does. I think it is better than the other two.”

Anonymous September 15, 2008

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I was given Dilaudid after being in the hospital for bowel obstruction. Worst pain of my LIFE! In IV form its amazing, total pain relief in 60 seconds. It was hard to get perscribed in pill form but finally found a pain doctor that agreed it was a better drug for me. I now take 4mg pills every 6-8 hours and can lead a normal life. There are no side effects, but it is hard to get a script for. Take only as doctor says, DO NOT take more.”

MSPRAKER July 18, 2008

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have suffered with chronic uncontrolled migraines for 19 years now. Recently during an episode I had to be taken to the ER and was given Dilaudid as I.V. It has been the only thing that has given me relief, the best medicine I've ever used, and believe me, I've used most all of them.”

Anonymous February 5, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I was in the hospital for appendicitis and I was given this to help with the pain and before the entire shot was inside of me my head hit the pillow and I had instant release of pain... Greatest pain killer I've ever had”

Twilightdream71 · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 16, 2012

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Dilaudid is used for break through pain and it does an excellent job. I can honestly say that this medicine works very well between doses of my primary medicine. I would recommend that everyone follow your doctors directions to the letter, never take more than you are prescribed of ANY medicine. If I hadn't been put on the proper medicines, I would likely have ended up in an institution due to the pain being so bad. People don't realize how hard it is to live with chronic pain 24/7 unless they have been there at some point themselves.”

OldnBroken · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 8, 2013

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have had 15 surgeries for injuries sustained through sports and accidents. I also have severe migraines that started when I was 18. My Xtreme sporting life is over. I am in pain 24/7. Dr too concerned about DEA so I have no solution other than load up on Advil. It worries me now because I'm getting older and the Xtreme pain really ups my BP. If severe pain and nausea lasts 3 days, I spend the $1k for the ER trip. Although each ER Doc wants to try very weak pain meds that have not worked, if I can get a shot of Dilaudid w phenergan, it seems to break the pain cycle. Morphine may work, but I can actually feel it in my body and that scares me. Just wish I didn't have to wait until I feel I'm dying and spend $1k to get relief from this drug.”

JennyFafa · Taken for less than 1 month January 16, 2013

Exalgo (hydromorphone): “I just began taking this medication about a week ago. Last month I was switched from Percocet 10/325mg to Dilaudid 2mg as the Percocet seemed to not be working for me anymore. Either that or my pain had progressed and gotten worse. (I have a few herniated discs in the my lower back) I felt like the Dilaudid helped but was very short-lived. So, I asked my doctor about switching to something extended release. I never heard of this medication, but honestly in just a week and I am on the lowest dose of 8mg- I feel like a different person. I can function again more than I have been able to in almost 7 months of living with this chronic pain. I feel like I am alive again! Very happy with this! (except yes it is expensive!)”

officer handy November 13, 2009

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have had a chronic headache for ten years, as in I have not gone one single day without a headache in ten years. I get terrible terrible migraines, but also have advanced arthritis from C4-C7 with 3 bulging discs. (I'm 23 years old). I've been on everything under the sun that is non-addictive for migraine treatment in addition to Demerol, codeine Lortab, Percocet, Stadol, Nubain & Pentacozine. I was on 40mg hydrocodone each day which was effective but also took Excedrin, Midrin and Cephadyn on occasions so the acetaminophen effects worried me. My doctor switched me to Dilaudid 4mg four times daily and it works wonderfully without being so harsh on my liver. VERY effective at pain relief. Doesn't seem as habit-forming as the Lortabs-for me”

MariaG2000 January 23, 2018

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have a low tolerance for pain and after a outpatient surgical procedure I was prescribed percoset for pain. They didn't help, so the doctor prescribed oxycontin. It work but it made me nauseated. He then prescribed dilaudid. It really helped to ease the pain, I experienced none of the side effects, except constipation. I took it every 4 hours, then as I healed I decreased the does to every 6 hours then I took one only at night. After the pain was gone, I stopped taking the medication and experienced no withdrawal issues.”

pole vaulting man · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I was prescribed this medication for breakthrough pain. It works better than the oxycodone and I rate it a 10. They would highly recommend this medication to people with severe pain to help with the breakthrough pain. This is Dilaudid which is a very effective medication post surgery.”

markj99 · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 25, 2015

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have been taking oxycodone for almost a year now for severe back pain. Not only did they not work, but the side effects were terrible! Really bad constipation and dry mouth so I had to get two other prescriptions for those. Back in June, I was admitted to the ER locally, and at first they gave me morphine after they figure it out that it was acute pancreatitis. Right before the ambulance came to take me down to the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh, they gave me dilaudid in the IV and within 10 minutes the pain was pretty much gone. So they continued me on it while I was in the hospital and afterwards for my back pain. It's been the only thing that has helped with both. oxycodone and morphine have no real effect on my pain.”

Vtwinner95 · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 23, 2013

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I have had severe headaches for more than 20 years. Tried just about everything Doctors could come up with both for prevention and immediate pain reduction. Nothing worked well untill I was prescribed Dilaudid. Got my life back. No more 3 month long headaches. No drowsiness or other noticeable side effects.”

Mar Man January 13, 2020

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I went into ER with really high blood pressure. My head was exploding. They gave this drug in my IV. I fell asleep for 6 hrs. Woke up and could not talk or walk. I also developed uncontrollable bowels for several months. It has been horrendous. It has subsided but I still suffer from this daily. I don't take trips too far from home. This is a dangerous drug.”

Kracker55 December 21, 2019

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “Have been on 7.5 Percocet for years for my AS and herniated disc’s. Got a kidney stone this week and ER asked if I wanted pain meds IV or injection I took injection. I had zero idea what they gave me but I was amazed when it worked way better than my Percocet. I have struggled for years trying to get through a month on my script of 5 a day. No Extended extended release meds seem to help. When I got home I saw they gave me Dilaudid 1mg. I got excited because I thought this medication is a level below Percocet but found out 1mg of Dilaudid is equal to 3.33 Percocet. It really burns me up that pain management feels one size fits all. I never digested oral medication well example is I take testosterone injections because my body absorbed 0 of the patch and gel. It’s obvious I do best on injections. I will lobby my PM Dr but am sure that will be considered a no no”

Pufftitty June 30, 2010

Dilaudid (hydromorphone): “I'm a 19 year old male. For majority of my life, I've always suffered pain in my spine usually my upper-neck and lower back, later to find out that I have 1-2 herniated discs and 3-4 bulged discs in my C-spine neck alone. This caused constant pain but I was never given anything but low dose oxycodone at best and because of my age NOBODY would prescribe it..if they did it was a blessing but never more than once! I recently have just broken my back - my lower back that has always been in pain as mentioned above - and broke a vertebrate disc, fractured 3 others, and chipped another, all in my L-spine (lower back). The chipped disc actually I believe was in my neck where my spine pain. DILAUDID WORKS FOR PAIN ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE OPIATE TOLERANCE.”