User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Cough 1 reviews 790 medications

9.5
Chronic Pain 49 reviews 113 medications

8.6
Pain 216 reviews 1123 medications

8.5
Summary of Dilaudid reviews 266 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Dilaudid

For Pain "Last week I had an old fashioned way of Gallblabber removal (20+ previous surgeries had left behind to many adhesions for a Laproscopic removal). The .5 mg Dilaudid I was given was much better than the Morphine in past surgeries. Issue: because I am a middle class lady with insurance seeing a pain management specialist for chronic pain - I was labeled a druggie!! I was given .5 to 1 mg for my ride home. I suffered horribly in pain. .5 is 1/8 the normal dose for most coming out of surgery. My previous physician (decades) had retired. He believed NO patient should suffer unnecessarily after surgery! Not these physicians and not this poor excuse for a hospital."

OSUmedCenterTulsa (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Dilaudid is an amazing pain reliever, but I do not recommend it if you have no self control. It is very easy to get addicted to. I have had dilaudid several times after operations. I also suffer horrible migraines and sometimes dilaudid is the only thing that will knock them out. There are also times that dilaudid makes it worse such as rebound migraines. It doesn't always help. The bad thing about dilaudid is that it does cause me to have bad acid reflux and also makes me extremely nauseous. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are in a tremendous amount of pain. It is very strong. Whenever they give it to you in an IV your whole body tingles and heats up. Its a very strange feeling. Like I said stay away from it unless you're in terrible pain"

CDG4 July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Post surgical pain. Have had chronic pain but have just had knee revision. It did not do much for the pain. Dose was 2 mg."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Had 2000 pound cart run over my right foot !!! Hospital gave me a shot of Dilaudid and it really helped with the pain."

Kipper1204 May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia which has spread to my brain. This medication helps so much with the agonizing pain. However, even though I am a terminal cancer patient. The Government, Insurance Co. and also pain management promised I would NOT suffer. But I am. Thanks to all, plus the persons involved by ABUSING pain medications. I, a dying cancer patient will suffer without ANY pain meds. I was a former medical student high honors on the Deans list. Due to the Government, I, a future Physician will not live to treat patients with respect, dignity, empathy or sympathy. This medication, I will never have again. Due to the Horrible pain 24/7, I have had 3 heart attacks. My feeble weak body can no longer tolerate pain. It worked well."

Virg78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have had this twice, both times it made me mildly nauseous and did nothing for the pain. The first time was when I made a trip to the emergency room for a migraine. It was a terrible migraine. After about 15 minutes of me screaming and wailing in the emergency room it started to wane. It was very mild by the time the doctor came in to talk to me. But he still gave me an injection of dilaudid. And even for the mild headache it didn't help at all. Second time was after hysterectomy. I had excruciating pain from trapped gas under my ribs near my liver. Nurses kept telling me to press my pain med dispensing button, and I was already. But it wasn't even taking the edge off."

terriergal May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I was experiencing pain in my hips like never before Because I had no insurance finding any relief meant a trip to ER. Finally I was approved for medicatation. After waiting longer than I should of for care, I saw a doctor that said I have aseptic necrosis. What is this? It is interruption of blood supply. Without blood, the bone tissue dies and the bone collapses. Treatment is total hip replacement. I have had my right done. It was collapsed. Very painful! Now waiting on my left. That is not the end. My shoulders need replacement. I was prescribed 60 mg Hysingla ER (hydrocodone bitartate) . It was not for me. My doctor finally decided on dilaudid 4 mg. Thank god! Thinking he needs to up my dose. Much better now!"

littletoughgal (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I have metastatic breast cancer. I found IV dilauded, self-administered thru my port to be the most effective pain management strategies I have had thus far. My doc and palliative care nurse are encouraging me to shift to using a pain pump for more continuous pain control and decrease side effects from varying levels of dilauded. I can see how dependency could be an issue. I'm not personally concerned because I have a terminal condition, however, especially because it does give me a feeling of well being and pain reduction is immediate that could be a problem for those with chronic pain."

Nece April 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Dilaudid caused my back muscle to cramp up along my ribs and in front of my chest...worst pain! ER gave me ativan and my back loosened. It was given to me for acute pain lower left abdomen."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I had broken my heel in 3 places and fractured my ankle. I was given morphine for the intense pain but morphine didn't last long. I finally received dilaudid through an IV which made all the difference in the world! Dilaudid for me took away the horrible pain and made me sleep a lot. Spent 5 days in the hospital and don't remember much."

Terry95 April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I suffer from chronic intractable migraines and fibromyalgia, and have a recent history of strokes. I'm a long term pain management patient and my normal pain meds are OxyContin 15mg twice a day, with Oxy IR 15mg every four hours. Three weeks ago, I tripped in a parking lot and fractured my shoulder. Because of my normal meds, my orthopedist put me on 4mg Dilaudid (tablets) every 4 hours (in place of the Oxy IR) because of the extreme pain of the fracture. I have to say that I was surprised that it did not work at all. It did, however, make me violently ill with near constant vomiting and diarrhea. I have had dilaudid via IV many times, and never experienced these symptoms, and they resolved as soon as I stopped the oral dilaudid tablet."

Karen R (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have been given Dilaudid through an IV on several occasions and on all those occasions I'd rather just dealt with the pain. Today the hospital gave me Dilaudid, and some nausea medication... On ever occasion that I have been given Dilaudid through IV instantly my head gets too heavy, I begin to get dizzy and lighthead. I always get VERY NAUSEOUS and confused, so I usually sleep it off because I hate the feeling it gives me. This time was different I fell asleep about 40 minutes after getting the medication and every couple minutes I kept waking up. All of a sudden I became very hot and clamy while feeling very cold. "

Grump (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Was prescribed 2 mg tablets to be taken 1 or 2 pills every 3 or 4 hours after my complicated rotator cuff surgery which involved reattaching three completely torn through tendons. The pills were completely ineffective. They did nothing for my pain. I quit taking them after the first day. I could not tell that I had taken anything. The circulating ice water machine they send you home from surgery with and regular Advil provided much better relief."

Thrasher (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "In my opinion its a weakist. Pain Management drug out there. I would have to take 10 4mg to get the slightest relief and that's on top of wearing a 100mcg patch fentanyl."

Say NO to Dilaudid (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "This medicine didn't work for me. Orally."

Suezer January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I had dilaudid every two hours on IV after my bowel resection. I needed this every two hours or else my body would start going into shock from trauma and pain. The IV was wonderful but doesn't last long at all. They tried giving me the pills two days before leaving but never worked like the IV. They sent me home with 1mg oral dilaudid and taking one or two did not do a thing. I had to take 3 to even slightly feel relief. It seems their pill form isn't quite effective as the IV but does last longer but just isn't as great. I agree as well as it being severely addictive. I weened myself off 4 or 5 days ago after every day use for almost 2 weeks (mostly hospital IV) and I'm still having headaches and slight nausea."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have been given Dilaudid several times throughout the years. It works wonders with severe pain. I have had it via IV and in pill form. The effects from the pills are no wheres as intense as the IV liquid version but work's well. My only complaint with the IV liquid form is if you are on it for a long period while hospitalized you will hallucinate at points. Other than that it is an amazing instant relief for pain. The first time I had ever been given Dilaudid my appendix had burst and I was septic. I was given an iIV and they injected Dilaudid almost instantly I felt no pain and felt great. I was ready to go home lol. from the point of me going to the er till I received the Dilaudid, I was screaming and crying from the pain."

hippypickles (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "Throughout a ten year battle with Ulcerative Colitis I have been on many I.V. pain meds. I.V.Dilaudid is my pain med of choice. I hate the oral version of this med. It literally does nothing for my pain. I.V. or nothing."

H3RM1T (taken for 10 years or more) January 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "Had below knee amputation of my right leg due to infection of broken ankle. Having pain in my left leg, a ghost pain, but no problems in amputated leg. Doctor put me on 2mg Dilaudid to give me relief. I take it once a day before bedtime which lets me sleep. No side effects but sometimes I need a pill during the day too, and I can only get a certain number of pills per month and the pharmacy won't refill it any more frequently than once a month. Am going on a cruise in March, and am not a big drinker but wondering if one drink a day will be a problem with the 2mg Dilaudid at night only once a day. I read about bad interactions with alcohol and Dilaudid and don't want a bad interaction with only one mixed drink. I'll ask the doctor too."

Dr. Allreeds (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I got chronic pancreatitis and this serious GI disease and dilaudid has worked wonderful treating me of these problems."

Jazsy December 24, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Don't if you can help it. Yes a shot of this IV will STOP your pain, and possibly the rest of you, pretty much immediately. If you have a low BP or sensitivity, or have never taken a strong (Norco doesn't count) narcotic before, try something else first. SEVERELY addictive. One shot and you will want another one, no joke. ONE SHOT. The pill version by comparison is slow acting and hits for a long time, most people will find better relief with percocet. Unless you have just had surgery, been shot, or have a broken bone, try Fentanyl first, at least that won't kill you in one dose."

Rachielmb December 23, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I had a splenectomy and given dilaudid in my IV afterwards for pain. It made me feel nauseous and felt like I was gonna pass out. I told my nurse and she told me it was normal. Well I stopped breathing, thankfully I was revived. When I woke up my room was full of people and even a chaplain. Scariest day of my life. After that I managed my pain with only Tylenol."

DilaudidNeverAgainPlease November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I broke my back in 02, i was sent home 4 hrs after being told i broke my back in 2 places. It was a Saturday morning and i was handed 2 demerol pills and told to get a hold of my family doctor for full time pain management. I was put on 8mg hydromorphone every 4 to 6 hours. After being told the fractures were mended, i had a whole bunch of uninary problems, and paralysis to parts of my body for a week to 5 months. After being told everything had mended i tried to go back to work, i just couldnt wasnt enought pain control so dr added 150mcg/h of fentanyl. Now i only take the Hydromorphone for break through pain"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "i just had a total abdominal hysterectomy done 3 days ago 11/15/16. Dilaudid was awful for me. I was given it via IV along with anti neasea meds. Every time I could feel a wave of warmth and then within mins was vomiting terribly. I told them 11 hours after surgery that I didn't want any more and to giver only Tylenol. The vomiting stopped. I wouldn't recommend this at all"

Tina1017 November 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I've suffered from reoccurring kidney stones for about five years and i'm only 18. After trying numerous medications to control my pain, i was given Dilauded in my IV and it SAVED ME. Nothing works better for me, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have kidney stones, please talk to your doctor about dilauded. It'll save you a lot of time!!"

codes November 11, 2016