User Reviews for Dilaudid

Dilaudid has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 307 ratings on Drugs.com. 79% of those users who reviewed Dilaudid reported a positive effect, while 12% reported a negative effect.

Pain
8.2
Chronic Pain
8.6
Cough
Summary of Dilaudid reviews 8.3 307 reviews

Reviews for Dilaudid

In pain March 2, 2021

For Pain: “Dilaudid made me very nauseated so was not a good fit for me.”

Freeborn54 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 2, 2021

For Chronic Pain: “I have been through 4 back surgeries and all of them have failed to make the pain better but my spine is stable. I take 4 mgs 5x day and I am not going to be out of pain but it is better than before. Dilaudid is the best way to get my life back on track. I was on oxcodone which is like taking a Tylenol. Dilaudid is the best but I am careful with it and the doctor wants me to get off of it.”

Clyh February 24, 2021

For Pain: “I was given this medication after surgery because my pain level was at a 10 . This medication brought my pain level to -5. This medication should not be a first choice. I have been drugged for a solid 24 hours after taking this. A 500-750 Vicodin would have worked fine. We will always have some pain after surgery some mild pain is ok but to drug someone after surgery to the extent I was is not necessary at all . It's been 24 hours and I'm still messed up.”

Schleprock · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 19, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “My back was broken in 3 places my neck in two places my neck 3 separate times. All from bad drivers on the road. I was slammed by a tractor trailer truck when I was a child. Then at 21 I was rear ended while stopped at a red arrow, I was in the passenger seat and was slammed by a Buick doing 65, then 5 years later hit head on by a drunk girl in her brand new Mustang. I have bone spurs pushing into my spinal cord. Because of this I get debilitating spinal headaches. Since the new guidelines on the amount of drugs that can be prescribed, I am never out of pain. I don't understand why politicians are deciding how much relief I am allowed to have. I never even went to a pain clinic until I was in my 40's and the pain got to be too much. Now I am just plain screwed!”

Bobsmate · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I was 70 years old and I was getting ready for work! I was going to the door and all of a sudden I was going down! Since I had a Total Knee replacement I turned my body around! Stupid thing for me to do! I broke my back! Then I fell on the floor and broke it again! I have had 2 major surgeries on my back! I have been in major pain for over 10 years! I live on Dilauded and morphine (not at the same time) I go to a pain clinic for my medication! I don’t know what I would do with out pain medications!”

The Bus · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “Best pain relief around for my severe and disabling peripheral neuropathy. Injections work best because most pills lose almost half of their potency in the GI tract. Relief is rapid, decreases my pain level from my usual 8 to 4 and lasts several hours. Anti-convulsive medications like Gabapentin do absolutely nothing in my case, while Dilaudid absolutely improves my quality of life as a 10-year chronic pain patient.”

tbake294 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2014

For Chronic Pain: “My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)”

Larry Woodcock · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2013

For Chronic Pain: “I just started taking Dilaudid a short time ago. I have lived in misery for the last 12 years with lower and upper back pain. I have been on MS Contin. Vicodin, Lortab pill and liquid. I recently hurt my back at work to the point that, I could not even drive. My doctor put me on Dilaudid and I have to say that it works well. I feel for anyone who lives with chronic pain. At least I can move and work. Maybe not as fast as I once was but, I still get the job done. Please don't give up there are other alternatives that may work for you.”

Lisataylor42 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2014

For Chronic Pain: “I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on ”

huntsketchup September 26, 2012

For Chronic Pain: “I have severe chronic abdominal pain and the only medication that controls my pain is Dilaudid. I was first given Dilaudid IV in the hospital after I had a reaction to morphine and it was AMAZING. In less than a minute my pain was essentially gone. The IV Dilaudid is, in my opinion, the greatest medicine ever invented. I now take 4 mg tablets six times a day for my pain and it keeps my pain at about a 4, as opposed to being 9 or 10 without it. I have a really sensitive stomach but I don't get nauseated from it like I do with other pain meds. ”

mat7401 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 7, 2014

For Chronic Pain: “I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain.”

AZ Guy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2014

For Chronic Pain: “After a failed back surgery, my orthopedic surgeons kept telling me I %u201Cshould%u201D be walking again. I could not get out of the wheel chair I had been in for over 12 weeks without assistance. And once out of it, I could not walk without severe pain. The docs eventually found bone fragments had been pushed INTO my spine rather than being removed before bone cement was used to repair my crushed vertebrae. While they could %u201Ctry%u201D to remove them and redo the surgery, the chances of my not being able to walk, ever, were far too high to justify the risk of surgery. A brilliant pain management specialist in LA found the combination of Dilaudid and Morphine worked well for me. After starting pain medications, I was able to stand and eventually to walk again.”

Zumeraga · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “Due to severe back injury was referred to a pain clinic (thankful!) Have been on many meds over the years. Now suffering with spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, ankylyzing spondolitis, basically crippled, yipee! Take 4 to 5 dilaudid, 4 mg, and get some relief. Starting today on a long acting dialysis and praying for relief. Good luck and sincere best wishes to all taking this med.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 1, 2012

For Chronic Pain: “I have had chronic pain for many years due to my occupation. I'm only 37 and I have 50% torn shoulders, arthritis and 3 herniated discs. I take a 4mg every day at around 3 pm and up to 2 more in the evening depending on the severity of pain that day. I have been on it for roughly 3 years now. I take the same doses and haven't had to up anything. It replaced 4 meds I used to have to take. I have no side effects at all. This medicine allows me to run a successful business and my household. I'd be lost without it. Most pain killers make me sick to my stomach and cause severe headaches. Not this one!”

Virg78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2017

For Pain: “I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia which has spread to my brain. This medication helps so much with the agonizing pain. However, even though I am a terminal cancer patient. The Government, Insurance Co. and also pain management promised I would NOT suffer. But I am. Thanks to all, plus the persons involved by ABUSING pain medications. I, a dying cancer patient will suffer without ANY pain meds. I was a former medical student high honors on the Deans list. Due to the Government, I, a future Physician will not live to treat patients with respect, dignity, empathy or sympathy. This medication, I will never have again. Due to the Horrible pain 24/7, I have had 3 heart attacks. My feeble weak body can no longer tolerate pain. It worked well.”

Nan September 24, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis 11 months ago so suffered with bad pain. During my 3 months in the hospital I received Dilaudid in IV the first month 4mg at first then gradually down to 2mg. Next Dilaudid by pill form 4mg every 4 hours down to 2 every 4 hours through the 2nd month. The 3rd month 2 mg every 6 hours which barely cut the intensity of the nerve pain caused by this gawd-awful disease. Once released from the hospital in I was Rx'd hydrocodone 5-325. Now this is in addition to gabapentin, lyrica, Cymbalta, xanax, etc. By May I began to have what's referred to as "saddle burn." The burn was more like blazing! I went to ER and was admitted and given Dilaudid again as before through my IV. I cried I was so relieved. But you can't stay in the hospital on an IV permanently and Dilaudid is not prescribed as outpatient. So suffering is my daily routine whether I exercise, push my walker a good 3/4 mile a day, go to pool PT, cry, get in my truck and scream "FATHER why hast thou forsaken me!?" Dilaudid works.”

runes January 24, 2013

For Chronic Pain: “I had back surgery and I also have fibromyalgia. I have tried other pain killers and none of them really worked so for 6 years I lived in pain not having a very good outlook on life I ended up in the hospital. They put me on Dilaudid and my life has improved so much I cannot believe it.”

Jules · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2020

For Pain: “Had this post-op for hip replacement. Wow. Excellent. Took about 20 seconds for pain relief. Did not make me loopy, just blocked the intense post-operative pain (went from a 10 to a 2 in 20 seconds.) Wonder drug.”

chronicpain2013 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2013

For Chronic Pain: “Really helps ease the breakthrough pain. I was afraid when I first started it that it wouldn't help much at all, but in truth it works better than anything else that I have been prescribed. I have had one surgery for three herniated discs of my cervical spine and now have two more that need surgery at waist level. I have been suffering, only existing. Not living for more than ten years. Dilaudid gave me back some of my life and it doesn't make me nauseous like many of the other medications that I have been on. Even though it doesn't take away all of the pain it does make it much more tolerable. Morphine made me sick and I was severely hyper sensitive to it. I am thankful for the relief Dilaudid has given me.”

Stan2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2012

For Chronic Pain: “I have chronic back pain (9 years plus), and had surgery. Been on all pain medicines through all that time. From Vicodin all the way up to Dilaudid and Fentanyl. Even though nothing is going to take away all the pain, I found that Dilaudid 8mg works the best. Most of the time about 80%.”

Endometriosisgal88 February 22, 2020

For Pain: “I've had morphine, toradol and dilaudid through IV for pain relief And a very high tolerance for pain. Toradol does absolutely nothing for my pain. If I thought that an 800mg ibuprofen could stop or help the pain I wouldn't be in the emergency dept spending $200.00 copay seeking pain relief. They then switch me to morphine and zofran which immediately makes my stomach gurgle and gives me a head rush and then within ten minutes I'm back in pain. However when using dilaudid. I've noticed that I am out of intolerable pain and I'm ok not nauseous and I can function better. And the analgesic effect lasts three times as long for me so I don't keep bothering them telling them I'm still in pain. I wish drs would actually listen to their patients instead of just being dismissive... I'm aware that I'm there a lot it's a chronic condition that theres no cure for.”

wades3pets · Taken for 10 years or more August 24, 2015

For Chronic Pain: “I think it should be a law for all pharmaceuticals that has anything to do with the production of hydromorphone or any other narcotic should be required to make a medication to wean you off of these medications”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 29, 2015

For Chronic Pain: “Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them.”

Rheacy · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 10, 2015

For Chronic Pain: “Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache.”

customs572 July 24, 2008

For Pain: “Great pain narcotic, works in about 20 minutes after oral administration. I am on 4 mg tablets, every six hours, usually one a day does the trick. I also take it in conjuction with 30mg of Oxycontin ER. I can actually get out of bed and do something. Be advised though that withdrwals could be severe. I had withdrawls after last dose twelve hours ago, so you must taper off. Do it with your doctors help though.”

Normally normal February 24, 2014

For Pain: “Been on it for several years for spinal condition. Never had any uncomfortable side effects from it, and it managed my pain great. Now I have been taken off Dilaudid and put on Methadone. Nausea, periodic profuse sweating along with agonizing pain is what I'm back to. I also got tired of finding doctors that were willing to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that carried it and even if the pharmacy has them, you still have the pharmacists who decide to "play God and were not willing to fill it for you. If you are lucky enough to establish these 3. things, you're still having to deal with ignorant attitudes from people who think they know more than the orthopedic professionals that you have to see on a monthly basis.”

Canadienne · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 24, 2015

For Chronic Pain: “Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back.”

jonestevem · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 26, 2014

For Pain: “I have been on this medicine now for almost 10 years now, until recently, I've only had tolerable minor side effects, sweats and itching. Besides it relieving the pain, it is great because there are only a few other meds that it had bad interactions with (and grapefruit, the grapefruit kept the pain meds from working). Unfortunately after being on it so long, my body has gotten too used to it and no longer works for me and it has started to make my feet, ankles and calves swell. I still highly recommend Dilaudid to any one. Besides the pain relief, the withdrawals from Dilaudid are not that bad to go through.”