User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Cough 1 reviews 788 medications

9.5
Pain 205 reviews 1105 medications

8.6
Chronic Pain 47 reviews 112 medications

8.6
Summary of Dilaudid reviews 253 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Dilaudid

For Chronic Pain "In my opinion its a weakist. Pain Management drug out there. I would have to take 10 4mg to get the slightest relief and that's on top of wearing a 100mcg patch fentanyl."

Say NO to Dilaudid (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "This medicine didn't work for me. Orally."

Suezer January 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I had dilaudid every two hours on IV after my bowel resection. I needed this every two hours or else my body would start going into shock from trauma and pain. The IV was wonderful but doesn't last long at all. They tried giving me the pills two days before leaving but never worked like the IV. They sent me home with 1mg oral dilaudid and taking one or two did not do a thing. I had to take 3 to even slightly feel relief. It seems their pill form isn't quite effective as the IV but does last longer but just isn't as great. I agree as well as it being severely addictive. I weened myself off 4 or 5 days ago after every day use for almost 2 weeks (mostly hospital IV) and I'm still having headaches and slight nausea."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I have been given Dilaudid several times throughout the years. It works wonders with severe pain. I have had it via IV and in pill form. The effects from the pills are no wheres as intense as the IV liquid version but work's well. My only complaint with the IV liquid form is if you are on it for a long period while hospitalized you will hallucinate at points. Other than that it is an amazing instant relief for pain. The first time I had ever been given Dilaudid my appendix had burst and I was septic. I was given an iIV and they injected Dilaudid almost instantly I felt no pain and felt great. I was ready to go home lol. from the point of me going to the er till I received the Dilaudid, I was screaming and crying from the pain."

hippypickles (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "Throughout a ten year battle with Ulcerative Colitis I have been on many I.V. pain meds. I.V.Dilaudid is my pain med of choice. I hate the oral version of this med. It literally does nothing for my pain. I.V. or nothing."

H3RM1T (taken for 10 years or more) January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "Had below knee amputation of my right leg due to infection of broken ankle. Having pain in my left leg, a ghost pain, but no problems in amputated leg. Doctor put me on 2mg Dilaudid to give me relief. I take it once a day before bedtime which lets me sleep. No side effects but sometimes I need a pill during the day too, and I can only get a certain number of pills per month and the pharmacy won't refill it any more frequently than once a month. Am going on a cruise in March, and am not a big drinker but wondering if one drink a day will be a problem with the 2mg Dilaudid at night only once a day. I read about bad interactions with alcohol and Dilaudid and don't want a bad interaction with only one mixed drink. I'll ask the doctor too."

Dr. Allreeds (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "I got chronic pancreatitis and this serious GI disease and dilaudid has worked wonderful treating me of these problems."

Jazsy December 24, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "Don't if you can help it. Yes a shot of this IV will STOP your pain, and possibly the rest of you, pretty much immediately. If you have a low BP or sensitivity, or have never taken a strong (Norco doesn't count) narcotic before, try something else first. SEVERELY addictive. One shot and you will want another one, no joke. ONE SHOT. The pill version by comparison is slow acting and hits for a long time, most people will find better relief with percocet. Unless you have just had surgery, been shot, or have a broken bone, try Fentanyl first, at least that won't kill you in one dose."

Rachielmb December 23, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I had a splenectomy and given dilaudid in my IV afterwards for pain. It made me feel nauseous and felt like I was gonna pass out. I told my nurse and she told me it was normal. Well I stopped breathing, thankfully I was revived. When I woke up my room was full of people and even a chaplain. Scariest day of my life. After that I managed my pain with only Tylenol."

DilaudidNeverAgainPlease November 29, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "I broke my back in 02, i was sent home 4 hrs after being told i broke my back in 2 places. It was a Saturday morning and i was handed 2 demerol pills and told to get a hold of my family doctor for full time pain management. I was put on 8mg hydromorphone every 4 to 6 hours. After being told the fractures were mended, i had a whole bunch of uninary problems, and paralysis to parts of my body for a week to 5 months. After being told everything had mended i tried to go back to work, i just couldnt wasnt enought pain control so dr added 150mcg/h of fentanyl. Now i only take the Hydromorphone for break through pain"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "i just had a total abdominal hysterectomy done 3 days ago 11/15/16. Dilaudid was awful for me. I was given it via IV along with anti neasea meds. Every time I could feel a wave of warmth and then within mins was vomiting terribly. I told them 11 hours after surgery that I didn't want any more and to giver only Tylenol. The vomiting stopped. I wouldn't recommend this at all"

Tina1017 November 19, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I've suffered from reoccurring kidney stones for about five years and i'm only 18. After trying numerous medications to control my pain, i was given Dilauded in my IV and it SAVED ME. Nothing works better for me, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have kidney stones, please talk to your doctor about dilauded. It'll save you a lot of time!!"

codes November 11, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I was shot in my chest in April 2016 and was in the hospital for a month. Diluadid was the pain reliever they chose for me, and it worked GREAT. For the first two weeks the pain was unbearable, but I had the IV drip of dilaudid every 10 minutes, which worked great. I was not aware of how powerful it is for pain, but it only lasts so long. I guess my pain was so bad that for the longest time I had it every 10 minutes. Anyway, it did great and I don't think I could have handled the pain without it."

Kaitie Did (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I gave this medication a 5 and here's why.When I was in the hospital and Dilaudid was put in my Iv, it managed my pain GREAT. It kept me mostly pain free and comfortable enough to be able to sleep at night. Wonderful for my back pain.Now on the other hand,ORAL DILAUDID does not work at all.I thought it was just me after I was Rx'd them for BT pain but my pharmacist agrees. So I give Dilaudid that's given through an Iv a 10 but the ORAL formulation of this medication I give a 0.Again,this is not just me,my pharmacy told me they've gotten many complaints of ORAL Dilaudid not providing relief."

sopranofan (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I was given 1 mg Dilaudid IV every 2 hours after gallbladder surgery. It controlled my pain better than the Morphine and I had no side effects."

Becky S. September 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "Was given this medicine after bunion surgery and not told what the effects might be. got very tired, nauseated and very dry mouthed immediately was also given nausea medicine with this. Went into respiratory arrest and cardio arrest at the same time. Thank god I was revived. I was clinically dead. This stuff is terrible"

Dead an Back September 15, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "In Sept 2006 I was in a bus accident had been in such pain nothing was working, my blood pressure would sky rocket do to the pain, nothing was helping until I got the Dilaudid IV in the hospital, I also have to take zofran for nausea. I had overgone 5 back surgeries in 10 years. I never needed pain medication until the bus accident. They tried tordol, morphine, percocet, but nothing helped. I was on a high dosage of Dilaudid for 3 years until my screws were removed in 11-2013. I have been going off dilaudid for 3 yrs now. I take 3. 4 mg tabs a day it takes almost 1 hour to work, but it only helps the pain for about 3-4 hours. This should only be used when nothing else will. I am so thankful."

BackPain2006 September 14, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and endometriosis. When I am in the hospital they always give me a low dose 0.5mg in IV form and it takes the pain away for 3-4 hours. They tried morphine but that only last for literally 30 minutes. It makes me sleep good and the pain is gone for like I said 3-4 hours. IV push every 4 hours. It's a miracle drug!"

ThatVeganChick74 September 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "Had absolutely no effect on controlling pain even after Surgeon included Valium and increasing Dilaudid doseage."

Shawn Wayne (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "Im on around the clock opiate therapy, so when I have something major come up, like a kidney stone, I have a hard time finding a medicine, then being able to take and mix it with my current medications.I had a kidney stone about 6 months ago, and the urologist gave me 60, 4mg hydromorphone tablets; they were useless, I took them back, he didn't want them, so I flushed them down the toilet.He prescribed Demerol 50mg 1 or 2 tabs every 4 hours, and it worked like a charm. I will say, when I went to the ER for the kidney stone, the IV Dilaudid worked wanders, but taking it by mouth was absolutely a waste, not to mention the money I spent, getting the prescription filled, to literally flush it down the toilet. No good orally, for MY pain."

Johnny C (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "I have severe fibromyalgia and possibly still undiagnosed endometriosis. I'm currently in the hospital (admitted) and they have been giving me 1mg of dilaudid every 4-5 hours for pain. It helps so much but eventually it wears off within the 3rd hour. This is through the IV. I have been sitting up and getting back to my self. The 2 cons: super drowsiness and it is addictive. I worry becoming dependent on it but at the same time it relieves my pain better than Norco."

SUPER EFFECTIVE AND IT HELPS June 22, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "I have had chronic kidney stones for 10 yrs. Over 200 stones, over 35 stone related surgeries. Can't take Toradol, Morphine, or Zofran. 2 mg of Dilaudid IV and Phenegran eases the pain in about 30-45 seconds-flat. Just close your eyes and sleep--immediately. It doesn't last a long time, 3-4 hrs. However, the relief is almost instant and complete. No drug I have ever taken compares. Can make you loopy, and NO DRIVING!!! I only take it when the pain is unbearable-it is very addictive, if over used."

cowompa June 19, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "Loved it. I suffer from chronic pain from MS and back issues and this medication is very good for my pain. I take 4 8mg tabs a day along with opana 40mg and that seems to do the job"

Crazyjaywithms (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Chronic Pain "After having 2 surgeries to my spine because of a fracture that was over looked. I had to be put on a morphine pump or what is known as a pain pump. This pump is placed within a pocket of fat that the doctors must fill ever 45 to 60 days. For several years I was given morphine into the pump. I do not recall any side affects to this. Due to the pain getting worse I made the request for a medication other than the morphine. I was placed then on Dilaudid/Clonidine which has been increased over the years. In February 2016 I started experiencing the side affects of withdrawal. My mouth stays dry, ears ringing, blood pressure increase to dangers levels. At the ER I was checked to see if I was having a stroke, with all test negative. BAD RX"

gcassels April 18, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Pain "Definitely effective against serious pain. However the side-effect warnings are serious too. This drug suppresses breathing and I was scared the first time I took a single pill. Kept 'forgetting' to breathe. Ever since, I've used a pill splitter to split the pill in half and this has proven a manageable dose. I hardly ever take these, though, because I don't want to become habituated."

Martinson99 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016