User Reviews for Dilaudid (Page 6)

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Dilaudid.

Cough

Pain
8.5

Summary of Dilaudid reviews 8.9 273 reviews

Reviews for Dilaudid

For Chronic Pain "INTENSE<CHRONIC PAIN. No Comparison or Substitute. HEAVILY Prescribed Tons of Methadone and OXYCODONE for 4 Years. When forced at E.R. Dilaudid is only thing that works. I think it should be used more often. Morphine at ER Would take 4 shots and nausea and bad for MY ailments. 10/10 EVERY TIME! Thanks"

Kelrod81 November 23, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "The medication took the pain away."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain "I have severe chronic abdominal pain and the only medication that controls my pain is Dilaudid. I was first given Dilaudid IV in the hospital after I had a reaction to morphine and it was AMAZING. In less than a minute my pain was essentially gone. The IV Dilaudid is, in my opinion, the greatest medicine ever invented. I now take 4 mg tablets six times a day for my pain and it keeps my pain at about a 4, as opposed to being 9 or 10 without it. I have a really sensitive stomach but I don't get nauseated from it like I do with other pain meds. "

huntsketchup September 26, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was given Dilaudid while being treated in the hospital for gastritis/esophogeal pain. The pain was very severe and my blood pressure rose to over 200/100. Within 30 seconds of the Dilaudid being inserted into my I.V., the pain in my sternum was gone and I was relaxed and sleepy. (After the first "Whoooosh" head rush). Although I could have it every 2 hours, after the first 2 doses, the pain relief lasted 4-6 hours. Most effective, and I reacted to it better than I had done in previous hospitalizations when receiving morphine. "

DianeA2Z (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I had an IV drip of Dilaudid for herniated discs in my neck. Then I took 2 x 4mg pills. It helped a little with the pain. I have Lyme and Fibromyalgia so my whole body is in pain usually an 8-10 or higher 24/7, 365 a year. I take Dilaudid often but it barely takes the edge off. It should be very helpful for a person not on pain killer long term and they need relief very fast for severe pain. Morphine drip and Dilaudid drip both felt about the same to me even though Dilaudid is supposed to be stronger."

49erBry (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "The only times I have had the medicine is when I have had arterial surgeries and Dilaudid was administered by IV. As previous posts have stated, it goes into effect 30 - 60 seconds after administration, but with a slight heating effect in the injected vein. Soon after the blissful pain relief has occurred. I was able to intently listen to a book or watch TV: sleep was also easy if I wanted. This was only a 1mg dose, but surprisingly effective. It killed the pain while allowing one to be mentally alert (if desired), unlike morphine. I highly recommend this medicine for hospital pain relief, but for longer term pain relief, up to 6 hours, it was supplemented with 5 mg of Vicodin."

stint jack (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have degenerative disc disease. Medication works well. I have been on it for a year now with my oxycodone. It works miracles, I can go to work everyday and support my family ans when I come home I can actually enjoy the daily activities with my children, I once could not have thought of doing. I am so glad my life is back and am so grateful for a great doctor who after years found a way to put me back on my feet."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was in a MVA 2004 after which I had to have 6 spine surgeries and 3 total hip replacements and due for a forth. I'm in severe pain most of the time, its hard for me to walk around. When I take my pain medicine I'm able to move a lot better. It doesn't stop all the pain but it makes it bearable."

Dr.rpoole (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 3, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have severe back problems and ended up in the emergency room I was not able to walk or hold up my torso! I was given intravenous Dilaudid and was given immediate relief! Unfortunately after 4 doses of 2mg oral tablets I had to discontinue use I developed hives over 90 percent of my body."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Dilaudid is used for break through pain and it does an excellent job. I can honestly say that this medicine works very well between doses of my primary medicine. I would recommend that everyone follow your doctors directions to the letter, never take more than you are prescribed of ANY medicine. If I hadn't been put on the proper medicines, I would likely have ended up in an institution due to the pain being so bad. People don't realize how hard it is to live with chronic pain 24/7 unless they have been there at some point themselves."

Twilightdream71 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Best pain medication I have ever had."

anthjaco (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was recently in the hospital for a cyst that ended up being MRSA. It was one of the most painful things I've been through and it took 3 days in the Hospital with Antibiotics and IV Pain Meds (Dilaudid) to get me stable enough to go home. I was on 4mg of Dilaudid IV every 2 hours. For me, about 1 1/2 hours after getting the Dilaudid push I was starting to get in pain again. When I got it though, my pain instantly disappeared and I could get some rest. I can't take Morphine because it makes me vomit. This medicine was my lifesaver! The only thing is it made me itch so the doctor gave me Benadryl with every dose. Had no problem after that."

gatorgirlyyy April 20, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I seem to have a different experience with it than most people. I've only been given the injectable form in an IV while in the hospital before 2-3 times, in a fair degree of pain on each occasion. While it did work well for a short time, maybe 45min, I not only burned through it far faster than I did other pain medicines, but I got a nasty side effect of a truly horrific headache each time."

Anonymous April 4, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have taken many different opiate pain medications over the past five years in the ER for chronic pancreatitis. Morphine has been completely useless, Demerol seemed pretty effective but hospitals are getting away from it due to concern of potential seizures. 2mg of Dilaudid IV push has always been completely effective in the relief of pain. However, I've been prescribed it in tablet form at 4mg and I found it not nearly as effective for pain relief. Oxycontin tablets were much more effective at home."

glendola March 31, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "This was my first experience with any pain medication beyond the over the counter variety. I had surgery for Crohn's Disease: bowel resection. Due to the complex nature this required fully opening up my abdomen. I was given Dilaudid through my IV every 4 hours. It totally relieved my pain. Everywhere that warm glow touched the pain disappeared. After about 20 minutes I would fall asleep and would wake up an hour later. The pain free feeling would last for about 3 hours. "

PeteN February 27, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Following a knee replacement surgery, I had breakthrough pain (I had a nerve block in place) the first night that was about a 9 out of 10. I was not due for my oral meds at the time but for some reason, I was eligible to receive an IV dose of Dilaudid. I would say within one minute, the pain was minimal and I was able to get some sleep. It did make me drowsy. I've never had it before or since, but absolutely credit it with some major pain relief the one time it was administered. It's a shame that we have to almost beg for pain meds and often are made to feel like drug seekers when we do. I'm still on the recovery path for the surgery and have been using an oral med. Next will be ibuprofen, then nothing, I hope."

BlingDangie February 21, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "This is the only medicine that will help me when my pain hits. I have multiple conditions that cause pain, but the most painful issue I have to deal with is kidney stones. I get them at least every 4 months and when they hit, they are incredibly painful. Dilaudid is the only thing that gets me through it. There are times I've had pain attacks where I have seriously considered suicide because I couldn't take it anymore. Dilaudid has saved me. Nothing else comes close. The only bad things are 1) tolerance is a huge issue. I have had to steadily increase my dosage over the years. 2) Withdrawal is soo painful. Be sure to taper off when you are stopping it. Otherwise, be prepared to stay in bed in pain for at least a week."

youcanletgo February 14, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "By far the best pain relief medication available. I have have two back operations and five brain operations. I have tried almost everything on the market and nothing worked until I was given Dilaudid. I take 8mg every 6 hours and can do a lot more now then with anything else that is out there."

Sioux37 February 12, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Dilaudid allows me to do my daily things whithout help form others, a broken spine in 3 places and shattered rotator cuffs as well as torn rotator cuffs in both arms."

Ship January 26, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "Excellent for chronic arthritic ankle/knee/hip pain; 3 x 4MG tablets three times in 24 hours for full relief. Breakthrough pain (walking for 30 mins) is reduced by another 2 X 4mg tabs but the resulting sleepiness is annoying so I tend not to be too mobile which is bad. "

dailyllama January 4, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I had a kidney stone operation and it took all the pain away in 2 seconds."

Anonymous January 4, 2012

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I have recurring kidney stones. The pain is incredible. I'm non-responsive to acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Meperidine causes seizures. Ibuprofen works well for normal pain but can't handle kidney stones. But Dilaudid works wonders."

Anonymous December 28, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was hospitalized for a kidney stone. First time for me. Worst pain ever. Found out the stone was 5mm big and wasn't going to pass on its own. I needed surgery. When I was admitted to the ER they gave me morphine which didn't do anything for the pain. Then they gave me Dilaudid, which worked in seconds and lasted hours. I didn't feel any pain while on Dilaudid. Only thing that really works in this situation."

Anonymous December 27, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was in the hospital a year and a half ago for heat exhaustion and rhabdomylosis. The pain from my muscle deterioration was the worst of my life. My doctor gave me Dilaudid. It definitely helped with the pain and made the most pleasant side effect of eliminating the addiction pangs from smoking. I had previously tried every other method that I could think of to quit. None worked for me. After 4 days I was released and haven't smoked since. I think 4 days of hospital confinement with regular dosage of Dilaudid could help a lot of people quit smoking."

Anonymous December 9, 2011

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain "I was prescribed Dilaudid 2mg every 3-4 hrs for pain management, in conjunction with 15mg of morphine every 12 hours. I tolerate it well. I had bilateral full knee replacements on 11-7-11. This pain management combination, using the Dilaudid 1 hour prior to 2x daily physical therapy took the edge off and allowed greater range of flexibility and the ability to push that extra extension and additional bend to these tight new knee caps. Now, almost 3 weeks out, though still on the 30mg total morphine per 24 hrs and Dilaudid 2mg tabs 2x a day (pre-PT), I am walking with a cane, able to go short periods cane-less. I think Dilaudid was a coup for me. I can't do any oxycodone. Exercise in prep for this procedure, it matters. You'll thank me."

shesgottwonewknees November 25, 2011