User Reviews for Dilaudid (Page 6)

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Cough 1 reviews 789 medications

9.5
Chronic Pain 49 reviews 113 medications

8.6
Pain 210 reviews 1119 medications

8.6
Summary of Dilaudid reviews 260 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Dilaudid

For Pain "I have taken many different opiate pain medications over the past five years in the ER for chronic pancreatitis. Morphine has been completely useless, Demerol seemed pretty effective but hospitals are getting away from it due to concern of potential seizures. 2mg of Dilaudid IV push has always been completely effective in the relief of pain. However, I've been prescribed it in tablet form at 4mg and I found it not nearly as effective for pain relief. Oxycontin tablets were much more effective at home."

glendola March 31, 2012

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "This was my first experience with any pain medication beyond the over the counter variety. I had surgery for Crohn's Disease: bowel resection. Due to the complex nature this required fully opening up my abdomen. I was given Dilaudid through my IV every 4 hours. It totally relieved my pain. Everywhere that warm glow touched the pain disappeared. After about 20 minutes I would fall asleep and would wake up an hour later. The pain free feeling would last for about 3 hours. "

PeteN February 27, 2012

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Following a knee replacement surgery, I had breakthrough pain (I had a nerve block in place) the first night that was about a 9 out of 10. I was not due for my oral meds at the time but for some reason, I was eligible to receive an IV dose of Dilaudid. I would say within one minute, the pain was minimal and I was able to get some sleep. It did make me drowsy. I've never had it before or since, but absolutely credit it with some major pain relief the one time it was administered. It's a shame that we have to almost beg for pain meds and often are made to feel like drug seekers when we do. I'm still on the recovery path for the surgery and have been using an oral med. Next will be ibuprofen, then nothing, I hope."

BlingDangie February 21, 2012

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "This is the only medicine that will help me when my pain hits. I have multiple conditions that cause pain, but the most painful issue I have to deal with is kidney stones. I get them at least every 4 months and when they hit, they are incredibly painful. Dilaudid is the only thing that gets me through it. There are times I've had pain attacks where I have seriously considered suicide because I couldn't take it anymore. Dilaudid has saved me. Nothing else comes close. The only bad things are 1) tolerance is a huge issue. I have had to steadily increase my dosage over the years. 2) Withdrawal is soo painful. Be sure to taper off when you are stopping it. Otherwise, be prepared to stay in bed in pain for at least a week."

youcanletgo February 14, 2012

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "By far the best pain relief medication available. I have have two back operations and five brain operations. I have tried almost everything on the market and nothing worked until I was given Dilaudid. I take 8mg every 6 hours and can do a lot more now then with anything else that is out there."

Sioux37 February 12, 2012

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Dilaudid allows me to do my daily things whithout help form others, a broken spine in 3 places and shattered rotator cuffs as well as torn rotator cuffs in both arms."

Ship January 26, 2012

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Excellent for chronic arthritic ankle/knee/hip pain; 3 x 4MG tablets three times in 24 hours for full relief. Breakthrough pain (walking for 30 mins) is reduced by another 2 X 4mg tabs but the resulting sleepiness is annoying so I tend not to be too mobile which is bad. "

dailyllama January 4, 2012

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I had a kidney stone operation and it took all the pain away in 2 seconds."

Anonymous January 4, 2012

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I have recurring kidney stones. The pain is incredible. I'm non-responsive to acetaminophen and hydrocodone. Meperidine causes seizures. Ibuprofen works well for normal pain but can't handle kidney stones. But Dilaudid works wonders."

Anonymous December 28, 2011

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I was hospitalized for a kidney stone. First time for me. Worst pain ever. Found out the stone was 5mm big and wasn't going to pass on its own. I needed surgery. When I was admitted to the ER they gave me morphine which didn't do anything for the pain. Then they gave me Dilaudid, which worked in seconds and lasted hours. I didn't feel any pain while on Dilaudid. Only thing that really works in this situation."

Anonymous December 27, 2011

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I was in the hospital a year and a half ago for heat exhaustion and rhabdomylosis. The pain from my muscle deterioration was the worst of my life. My doctor gave me Dilaudid. It definitely helped with the pain and made the most pleasant side effect of eliminating the addiction pangs from smoking. I had previously tried every other method that I could think of to quit. None worked for me. After 4 days I was released and haven't smoked since. I think 4 days of hospital confinement with regular dosage of Dilaudid could help a lot of people quit smoking."

Anonymous December 9, 2011

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I was prescribed Dilaudid 2mg every 3-4 hrs for pain management, in conjunction with 15mg of morphine every 12 hours. I tolerate it well. I had bilateral full knee replacements on 11-7-11. This pain management combination, using the Dilaudid 1 hour prior to 2x daily physical therapy took the edge off and allowed greater range of flexibility and the ability to push that extra extension and additional bend to these tight new knee caps. Now, almost 3 weeks out, though still on the 30mg total morphine per 24 hrs and Dilaudid 2mg tabs 2x a day (pre-PT), I am walking with a cane, able to go short periods cane-less. I think Dilaudid was a coup for me. I can't do any oxycodone. Exercise in prep for this procedure, it matters. You'll thank me."

shesgottwonewknees November 25, 2011

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I've been on Dilaudid for 15 years for back injury and illness called Wegner's granulomatosus. Started out at 2mg and over the years I'm now at 4mg's 4 times a day. It is a great pain reliever. I am able to function normally as anyone else without any side affects. "

Rob'o November 25, 2011

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I was recently diagnosed with silent migraines. 10 minutes after a light stimulant EEG... I was walking into walls and felt drunk but without the fun part. I was told not to go to the ER. I called my PCP and finally he said to go after the "silence" of the migraine turned very ugly and painful. After being administered Valium, Zofran, and Vicodin... nothing. Finally, Dilaudid was administered along with Phenergan. I was out of my make-shift mask, turned the lights back on, and tolerated noise within an hour. I was out of bed and ready to leave. I went in thinking I was having an aneurysm and left a completely different person! Highly recommend for severe migraines."

TXicesk8erchick76 November 20, 2011

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "This medicine works well alone, but very effective taken with Roxy 30's. I take 8mg twice a day and it allows me to lead a fairly normal life with severe degenerative and ruptured discs. Without these medicines I would be a cripple. The Mobic helps with the swelling from my arthritis and scoliosis. It is hard to find a doctor that understands but once you do it makes things easier. "

Anonymous November 10, 2011

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I had surgery for a colon resection. I can't take Hydrocodone because it upsets my stomach, gives me headaches, nausea and constipation. The morphine (patient administered pump) didn't work for me at all, but Dilaudid worked wonderfully, 2 mg every 6 hours. I had no unpleasant side effects, which is very unusual for me with any medicine. I had no withdrawal problems when I left the hospital. If I ever have surgery again, I'm going to request Dilaudid. It gave me great relief and let me rest and heal!"

JuliaYL November 2, 2011

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "After a major car accident two years ago, subsequent shoulder reconstruction surgeries and months of physical therapy, I am left with painful nerve damage in my shoulder. I tried many medicines intended for other uses but found to alleviate pain from nerve damage. But, they all made me ill. I also took hydrocodone until it started making me ill. A month ago, my doctor switched me to hydromorphone 2 mg, and it helped a little. When he upped my dosage to 4 mg every 4-6 hours, the relief was much greater and I've had no major side effects. It's not a medicine that I want to take for the rest of my life, but it is certainly helping now. I would say it relieves about 75% of the pain. I would recommend trying it if other medicines have failed you."

BKB November 1, 2011

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "After surgery, I was given Dilaudid IV. I had never taken this pain medication before and it was the worst experience in the recovery room. It did not stop my pain and I had several severe side effects from it. I was in recovery for 7 hours until we demanded a different pain medication to manage my pain. I'm glad for everyone this medication does help, but for those out there like me, whom it does not work on, take my advise; If you start to have side effects and the pain is not going away, you need to switch to another pain alternative that works with your system. What should have been a 2 hour recovery lasted way too long. "

Anonymous October 27, 2011

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Love it. I had 2mg for pancreatitis in the hospital. I hear the pills are good for severe pain, I have never had the pill though. It can make you sick on your stomach though."

Anonymous October 15, 2011

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I have been suffering with abominable head/back pain (pain lasting around the clock for up to 4-5 days straight) as well as abdominal pains with constant vomiting and no ability to lead a normal life including having to take a leave of absence from my job. In '11 alone I was hospitalized 4 times 4 months in a row. One stay I was vomiting blood and passing it in my stool. In the ER Dilaudid IV gave me relief. Was given it every 2 hours. Zofran and Dilaudid helped at home too. My doctor put me on Vicodin inlieu of Dilaudid saying the latter was habit forming. Since then no relief of pains. Dilaudid 4mg helped great. Miracle medicine."

Fox Chapel Guy, PA October 13, 2011

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I read a lot of comments on hydromorphone and thought it would help me greatly with my chronic back pain. So I was shocked when I got the 2mg script and got no relief in pain whatsoever even after taking 6mg. "

Anonymous October 3, 2011

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I was giving Dilaudid in IV form after having an emergency laparoscopic cholecystectomy. It was amazing! As soon as it was injected into the IV site I was no longer in pain and was able to sleep. I would have been nice if they had discharged me from the hospital with a prescription of Dilaudid rather than Vicodin."

Anonymous September 13, 2011

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "I received a really nasty sulphuric acid burn from a car battery at work. They gave me a shot of morphine and proceeded to scrape the burn skin off my arm. They had to stop when I started screaming. Then I got the i.v. Dilaudid and instantly couldn't feel it anymore. They prescribed me the 4 ml and was able to clean it ... without me crying."

Anonymous September 2, 2011

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "This medication really helps with my pain. I have been through a lot and nothing works. I took Dilaudid and it really helped."

get rid of it August 31, 2011

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain "Worked very well for me after abdominal surgery. It was given to me through a pain pump, it was great because I could sleep and rest."

Anonymous August 3, 2011