User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Chronic Pain

"In my opinion its a weakist. Pain Management drug out there. I would have to take 10 4mg to get the slightest relief and that's on top of wearing a 100mcg patch fentanyl."

Say NO to Dilaudid (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine didn't work for me. Orally."

Suezer January 23, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Throughout a ten year battle with Ulcerative Colitis I have been on many I.V. pain meds. I.V.Dilaudid is my pain med of choice. I hate the oral version of this med. It literally does nothing for my pain. I.V. or nothing."

H3RM1T (taken for 10 years or more) January 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had below knee amputation of my right leg due to infection of broken ankle. Having pain in my left leg, a ghost pain, but no problems in amputated leg. Doctor put me on 2mg Dilaudid to give me relief. I take it once a day before bedtime which lets me sleep. No side effects but sometimes I need a pill during the day too, and I can only get a certain number of pills per month and the pharmacy won't refill it any more frequently than once a month. Am going on a cruise in March, and am not a big drinker but wondering if one drink a day will be a problem with the 2mg Dilaudid at night only once a day. I read about bad interactions with alcohol and Dilaudid and don't want a bad interaction with only one mixed drink. I'll ask the doctor too."

Dr. Allreeds (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got chronic pancreatitis and this serious GI disease and dilaudid has worked wonderful treating me of these problems."

Jazsy December 24, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I broke my back in 02, i was sent home 4 hrs after being told i broke my back in 2 places. It was a Saturday morning and i was handed 2 demerol pills and told to get a hold of my family doctor for full time pain management. I was put on 8mg hydromorphone every 4 to 6 hours. After being told the fractures were mended, i had a whole bunch of uninary problems, and paralysis to parts of my body for a week to 5 months. After being told everything had mended i tried to go back to work, i just couldnt wasnt enought pain control so dr added 150mcg/h of fentanyl. Now i only take the Hydromorphone for break through pain"

Cherrie0777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In Sept 2006 I was in a bus accident had been in such pain nothing was working, my blood pressure would sky rocket do to the pain, nothing was helping until I got the Dilaudid IV in the hospital, I also have to take zofran for nausea. I had overgone 5 back surgeries in 10 years. I never needed pain medication until the bus accident. They tried tordol, morphine, percocet, but nothing helped. I was on a high dosage of Dilaudid for 3 years until my screws were removed in 11-2013. I have been going off dilaudid for 3 yrs now. I take 3. 4 mg tabs a day it takes almost 1 hour to work, but it only helps the pain for about 3-4 hours. This should only be used when nothing else will. I am so thankful."

BackPain2006 September 14, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and endometriosis. When I am in the hospital they always give me a low dose 0.5mg in IV form and it takes the pain away for 3-4 hours. They tried morphine but that only last for literally 30 minutes. It makes me sleep good and the pain is gone for like I said 3-4 hours. IV push every 4 hours. It's a miracle drug!"

ThatVeganChick74 September 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe fibromyalgia and possibly still undiagnosed endometriosis. I'm currently in the hospital (admitted) and they have been giving me 1mg of dilaudid every 4-5 hours for pain. It helps so much but eventually it wears off within the 3rd hour. This is through the IV. I have been sitting up and getting back to my self. The 2 cons: super drowsiness and it is addictive. I worry becoming dependent on it but at the same time it relieves my pain better than Norco."

SUPER EFFECTIVE AND IT HELPS June 22, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Loved it. I suffer from chronic pain from MS and back issues and this medication is very good for my pain. I take 4 8mg tabs a day along with opana 40mg and that seems to do the job"

Crazyjaywithms (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 7, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After having 2 surgeries to my spine because of a fracture that was over looked. I had to be put on a morphine pump or what is known as a pain pump. This pump is placed within a pocket of fat that the doctors must fill ever 45 to 60 days. For several years I was given morphine into the pump. I do not recall any side affects to this. Due to the pain getting worse I made the request for a medication other than the morphine. I was placed then on Dilaudid/Clonidine which has been increased over the years. In February 2016 I started experiencing the side affects of withdrawal. My mouth stays dry, ears ringing, blood pressure increase to dangers levels. At the ER I was checked to see if I was having a stroke, with all test negative. BAD RX"

gcassels April 18, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband is in the hospital right now and they put a brand new knee in and he was doing pretty good until they gave him that drug. It was horrible for him. He was like a different person. He did not know where he was or even who we were. He was screaming for someone to call the police. I cannot imagine anyone taking that. Norco 10 is the strongest thing he can take and that is just one pill when needed. He took one dose of that and that is all....horrible experience for him."

Left knee revision (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is an incredible drug - I'm 25 and living with MS. Subsequently I have terrible spasms in back that are non-stop. I've been on this drug for over three years and have absolutely no complaints. I've tried 12 other pain meds before this - all of them making me very high, nauseated or sleepy. Then comes along Dilaudid - my doctor decided to try me on it because I was having such a hard time with all of the other drugs. From the moment I took the first dose I have been pain free - without any side effects what-so-ever. Because I have been on it for so long I have become tolerant to it so I have to begin the search for a new drug. Anyone looking for a pain med - this is the route to go."

tubaguy9008 November 28, 2015

44 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Treats both the diarrhea and chronic pain that I have from Crohn's disease. Works great."

MikeyHasCrohns September 16, 2015

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My luck I moved to a small town, small medicine to retire.I have Bilateral failed carpal tunnel with failed double revision and now with neuropathy in my hands.Herniated bulged disc in my lower back and another herniated bulged disc in my upper neck pushing against spinal cord.I have a torn right tendon in my knee,and that if I am really lucky I get 2 hours of sleep.I have beg my Dr. for Hyaluronic Acid Injection shot, (which for some reason he won't) And now their saying I might have parkinson's. He had me on Dilaudid a few years back but it made me jumpy but I'll be asking for it again. Can you believe that he was trying to give me hydro's 10's for this? And this guy went to a top 10 School. Don't move to Wa. state."

Vader1212 September 8, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I think it should be a law for all pharmaceuticals that has anything to do with the production of hydromorphone or any other narcotic should be required to make a medication to wean you off of these medications"

wades3pets (taken for 10 years or more) August 24, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache."

Rheacy (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2015

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back."

Canadienne (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 24, 2015

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works"

LungCancerStg4 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Finally0 found a medication with little side effects"

paulieharris (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2015

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from a very rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraines which are neurological migraines that cause stroke like symptoms. Unlike most people, I am unable to take most medications designed for migraines since in the small print of these meds it says do not administer to those with hemiplegic migraines. I have found that Dilaudid has been a God send when I have these migraines. Just 1 shot (ratio) of 2mg of Dilaudid combined with 2mg of promethazine and it puts me into a deep enough sleep where my brain can retrigger without any rebound migraine effects. It has proven to be very successful and useful!"

Jenn Claus (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2015

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 29, 2015

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Nothing else worked except this 2mg dose without side effects. It wore off after 6 hours. Given post surgery use, but could have helped longer since everything else caused migraines."

Rotatorfix January 27, 2015

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It really makes most of the pain go away it takes a little bit for them to work but I'm on a low dose"

lisawooten (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2014

51 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When my migraine gets out of control this is the only medicine that kills it. The down side is that I have to go to the ER to get it and sometimes they give you a hard time as they think you are an addict."

Natisly December 15, 2014