User Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Chronic Pain

Dilaudid has an average rating of 8.4 out of 10 from a total of 65 ratings for the treatment of Chronic Pain. 78% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 9% reported a negative effect.

Dilaudid Rating Summary

8.4/10 average rating

Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Chronic Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid

Schleprock · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 19, 2020

“My back was broken in 3 places my neck in two places my neck 3 separate times. All from bad drivers on the road. I was slammed by a tractor trailer truck when I was a child. Then at 21 I was rear ended while stopped at a red arrow, I was in the passenger seat and was slammed by a Buick doing 65, then 5 years later hit head on by a drunk girl in her brand new Mustang. I have bone spurs pushing into my spinal cord. Because of this I get debilitating spinal headaches. Since the new guidelines on the amount of drugs that can be prescribed, I am never out of pain. I don't understand why politicians are deciding how much relief I am allowed to have. I never even went to a pain clinic until I was in my 40's and the pain got to be too much. Now I am just plain screwed!”

Bobsmate · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2019

“I was 70 years old and I was getting ready for work! I was going to the door and all of a sudden I was going down! Since I had a Total Knee replacement I turned my body around! Stupid thing for me to do! I broke my back! Then I fell on the floor and broke it again! I have had 2 major surgeries on my back! I have been in major pain for over 10 years! I live on Dilauded and morphine (not at the same time) I go to a pain clinic for my medication! I don’t know what I would do with out pain medications!”

The Bus · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 21, 2019

“Best pain relief around for my severe and disabling peripheral neuropathy. Injections work best because most pills lose almost half of their potency in the GI tract. Relief is rapid, decreases my pain level from my usual 8 to 4 and lasts several hours. Anti-convulsive medications like Gabapentin do absolutely nothing in my case, while Dilaudid absolutely improves my quality of life as a 10-year chronic pain patient.”

tbake294 · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 11, 2014

“My experience with Dilaudid is Amazing, I have Severe Chronic Pain due to an Autonomic Dysfunction called Dysautonomia, I have tried MANY MANY other pain meds. even had nerve blocks & injections but nothing worked. I would recommend Dilaudid to Anyone experiencing severe pain because it works 100% (at least for me it did but then again everyone is different)”

Larry Woodcock · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2013

“I just started taking Dilaudid a short time ago. I have lived in misery for the last 12 years with lower and upper back pain. I have been on MS Contin. Vicodin, Lortab pill and liquid. I recently hurt my back at work to the point that, I could not even drive. My doctor put me on Dilaudid and I have to say that it works well. I feel for anyone who lives with chronic pain. At least I can move and work. Maybe not as fast as I once was but, I still get the job done. Please don't give up there are other alternatives that may work for you.”

huntsketchup September 26, 2012

“I have severe chronic abdominal pain and the only medication that controls my pain is Dilaudid. I was first given Dilaudid IV in the hospital after I had a reaction to morphine and it was AMAZING. In less than a minute my pain was essentially gone. The IV Dilaudid is, in my opinion, the greatest medicine ever invented. I now take 4 mg tablets six times a day for my pain and it keeps my pain at about a 4, as opposed to being 9 or 10 without it. I have a really sensitive stomach but I don't get nauseated from it like I do with other pain meds. ”

Lisataylor42 · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 23, 2014

“I was in an auto accident that left me in a Coma for 38 days & was told by all 5 of my orthopedic Dr's I'd NEVER STAND OR WALK AGAIN. 6 mo. Later I took my first steps! I broke both hips both femurs (thigh bones) in 2 places, shattered both tibia & fibula (shin bones) & both knees. I am titanium rods the length of the bones, wires, nails & screws. I was on 4 different pain Narcotics every 2 hrs. The ONLY ONE THAT GAVE ME RELIEF WAS THE DILAUDID! None of the oxy 's or even the 100mg Morphine phased me. Now I'm on Percocet 10-325 & 100mg Morphine. Percs just knock the edge off but gives me the energy to keep moving. I WANT MY DILAUDIDS BACK & KEEP MY PERCS FOR MY BREAKTHROUGH. THEY HELP ME LEAD A PRODUCTIVE LIFE! 2yrs on ”

mat7401 · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 7, 2014

“I've been taking this in tablet form for failed back surgery, and CRPS in both legs up to the thigh. It doesn't relieve all the pain, but it relieves enough to get me through my day of being a full time stay-at-home single dad. I think I got better relief from the oxycodone I was on before, but it would only last 2-3 hours, whereas the Dilaudid lasts a solid 4 hours, so I get a little bit more time with my little guy where my pain is under control. Wish I could take the ER version, but due to gastric bypass, no ER tablets work on me... Can't say it's given me my life back, because I was a wind turbine technician when I became disabled, but I get enough relief to be with my son instead of on the bed in relentless agonising pain.”

AZ Guy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 30, 2014

“After a failed back surgery, my orthopedic surgeons kept telling me I %u201Cshould%u201D be walking again. I could not get out of the wheel chair I had been in for over 12 weeks without assistance. And once out of it, I could not walk without severe pain. The docs eventually found bone fragments had been pushed INTO my spine rather than being removed before bone cement was used to repair my crushed vertebrae. While they could %u201Ctry%u201D to remove them and redo the surgery, the chances of my not being able to walk, ever, were far too high to justify the risk of surgery. A brilliant pain management specialist in LA found the combination of Dilaudid and Morphine worked well for me. After starting pain medications, I was able to stand and eventually to walk again.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 1, 2012

“I have had chronic pain for many years due to my occupation. I'm only 37 and I have 50% torn shoulders, arthritis and 3 herniated discs. I take a 4mg every day at around 3 pm and up to 2 more in the evening depending on the severity of pain that day. I have been on it for roughly 3 years now. I take the same doses and haven't had to up anything. It replaced 4 meds I used to have to take. I have no side effects at all. This medicine allows me to run a successful business and my household. I'd be lost without it. Most pain killers make me sick to my stomach and cause severe headaches. Not this one!”

runes January 24, 2013

“I had back surgery and I also have fibromyalgia. I have tried other pain killers and none of them really worked so for 6 years I lived in pain not having a very good outlook on life I ended up in the hospital. They put me on Dilaudid and my life has improved so much I cannot believe it.”

Stan2 · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 16, 2012

“I have chronic back pain (9 years plus), and had surgery. Been on all pain medicines through all that time. From Vicodin all the way up to Dilaudid and Fentanyl. Even though nothing is going to take away all the pain, I found that Dilaudid 8mg works the best. Most of the time about 80%.”

chronicpain2013 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 28, 2013

“Really helps ease the breakthrough pain. I was afraid when I first started it that it wouldn't help much at all, but in truth it works better than anything else that I have been prescribed. I have had one surgery for three herniated discs of my cervical spine and now have two more that need surgery at waist level. I have been suffering, only existing. Not living for more than ten years. Dilaudid gave me back some of my life and it doesn't make me nauseous like many of the other medications that I have been on. Even though it doesn't take away all of the pain it does make it much more tolerable. Morphine made me sick and I was severely hyper sensitive to it. I am thankful for the relief Dilaudid has given me.”

wades3pets · Taken for 10 years or more August 24, 2015

“I think it should be a law for all pharmaceuticals that has anything to do with the production of hydromorphone or any other narcotic should be required to make a medication to wean you off of these medications”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 29, 2015

“Dilaudid worked great for pain without all the side effects from other pain meds, but doctors are no longer willing to prescribe them. Probably due to all the abuse and how difficult the DEA is now making things for pharmacists who fill them and doctors prescribing them.”

Rheacy · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 10, 2015

“Dilaudid has been beneficial to my daily activities. Without Dilaudid I literally cannot move. The chronic pain from fibromyalgia is indescribable. And every case is different, but it helps me. The only side effect that I must pay close attention to is headaches.... if I already have a headache, I don't take Dilaudid. It will make it worse. Once in a while, Dilaudid will cause a headache.”

Canadienne · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 24, 2015

“Most effective opoid pain medication for me. Long story short, my spine is messed up from stem to stern: scoliosis, osteoarthritis, osteophytes, spinal stenosis etc. It all got much worse after my son was born which was when I was first put on the trial and error opoid rollercoaster. Tylenol 3 codeine quickly became ineffective, probably because I had up to this point been treating my pain with OTC medication (in Canada you can get low-dose Tylenol with codeine without a prescription) and I was put on Oxycodone (Percocet) which was an awful med: didn't last & withdrawal was hellish. Next up, Fentanyl patch, moderately effective but patch delivery was unreliable. Hydrocodone (Dilaudid) at last gave me some of my life and mobility back.”

Natisly December 15, 2014

“When my migraine gets out of control this is the only medicine that kills it. The down side is that I have to go to the ER to get it and sometimes they give you a hard time as they think you are an addict.”

Zumeraga · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 12, 2020

“Due to severe back injury was referred to a pain clinic (thankful!) Have been on many meds over the years. Now suffering with spinal stenosis, degenerative disk disease, ankylyzing spondolitis, basically crippled, yipee! Take 4 to 5 dilaudid, 4 mg, and get some relief. Starting today on a long acting dialysis and praying for relief. Good luck and sincere best wishes to all taking this med.”

Greta-Jane · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 14, 2013

“Dilaudid keeps me wide awake. I take 4 mg for failed back surgery. It does take the edge off, but doesn't take away 1/2 of the pain. For the life of me, I cannot understand why it keeps me wide awake. I took one pill at 4:30pm yesterday and last I looked at my clock last night, it was 4:33am.”

blue1116 · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2013

“Car accident, 1997 ,diagnosed fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, herniated, bulging, protruding disks, anxiety/panic disorder, migraines, and last Friday I had a heart attack! I was given Dileudid through I.V.! Best medicine I have ever experienced! ”

Jonsonroc · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2013

“I've been diagnosed with rhabdomiolitis. The pain it brought was excruciating - 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. The rheumatologist ordered an initial dose of 4 mg by IV (this is an unusually high dose, the pharmacy double checked with the doctor before releasing the medicine). Subsequent doses were only 2 mg. Dilaudid took away ALL of my pain within 60 seconds. The relief lasted through the night, allowing me a full night of sleep. Hydromorphone, the tablet form, is far less effective than I.V. In fact, I was down right disappointed with the tablets. They seemed to do nothing at all for the pain. It's hard to believe that hydromorphone tablets and Dilaudid I.V. are the same medicine. I will request for my doctor to prescribe the Dilaudid injections.”

Jenn Claus · Taken for 10 years or more January 30, 2015

“I suffer from a very rare migraine condition called hemiplegic migraines which are neurological migraines that cause stroke like symptoms. Unlike most people, I am unable to take most medications designed for migraines since in the small print of these meds it says do not administer to those with hemiplegic migraines. I have found that Dilaudid has been a God send when I have these migraines. Just 1 shot (ratio) of 2mg of Dilaudid combined with 2mg of promethazine and it puts me into a deep enough sleep where my brain can retrigger without any rebound migraine effects. It has proven to be very successful and useful!”

Nan September 24, 2020

“I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis 11 months ago so suffered with bad pain. During my 3 months in the hospital I received Dilaudid in IV the first month 4mg at first then gradually down to 2mg. Next Dilaudid by pill form 4mg every 4 hours down to 2 every 4 hours through the 2nd month. The 3rd month 2 mg every 6 hours which barely cut the intensity of the nerve pain caused by this gawd-awful disease. Once released from the hospital in I was Rx'd hydrocodone 5-325. Now this is in addition to gabapentin, lyrica, Cymbalta, xanax, etc. By May I began to have what's referred to as "saddle burn." The burn was more like blazing! I went to ER and was admitted and given Dilaudid again as before through my IV. I cried I was so relieved. But you can't stay in the hospital on an IV permanently and Dilaudid is not prescribed as outpatient. So suffering is my daily routine whether I exercise, push my walker a good 3/4 mile a day, go to pool PT, cry, get in my truck and scream "FATHER why hast thou forsaken me!?" Dilaudid works.”

tubaguy9008 November 28, 2015

“This is an incredible drug - I'm 25 and living with MS. Subsequently I have terrible spasms in back that are non-stop. I've been on this drug for over three years and have absolutely no complaints. I've tried 12 other pain meds before this - all of them making me very high, nauseated or sleepy. Then comes along Dilaudid - my doctor decided to try me on it because I was having such a hard time with all of the other drugs. From the moment I took the first dose I have been pain free - without any side effects what-so-ever. Because I have been on it for so long I have become tolerant to it so I have to begin the search for a new drug. Anyone looking for a pain med - this is the route to go.”