User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1857 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Pain

"I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia which has spread to my brain. This medication helps so much with the agonizing pain. However, even though I am a terminal cancer patient. The Government, Insurance Co. and also pain management promised I would NOT suffer. But I am. Thanks to all, plus the persons involved by ABUSING pain medications. I, a dying cancer patient will suffer without ANY pain meds. I was a former medical student high honors on the Deans list. Due to the Government, I, a future Physician will not live to treat patients with respect, dignity, empathy or sympathy. This medication, I will never have again. Due to the Horrible pain 24/7, I have had 3 heart attacks. My feeble weak body can no longer tolerate pain. It worked well."

Virg78 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had this twice, both times it made me mildly nauseous and did nothing for the pain. The first time was when I made a trip to the emergency room for a migraine. It was a terrible migraine. After about 15 minutes of me screaming and wailing in the emergency room it started to wane. It was very mild by the time the doctor came in to talk to me. But he still gave me an injection of dilaudid. And even for the mild headache it didn't help at all. Second time was after hysterectomy. I had excruciating pain from trapped gas under my ribs near my liver. Nurses kept telling me to press my pain med dispensing button, and I was already. But it wasn't even taking the edge off."

terriergal May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dilaudid caused my back muscle to cramp up along my ribs and in front of my chest...worst pain! ER gave me ativan and my back loosened. It was given to me for acute pain lower left abdomen."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had broken my heel in 3 places and fractured my ankle. I was given morphine for the intense pain but morphine didn't last long. I finally received dilaudid through an IV which made all the difference in the world! Dilaudid for me took away the horrible pain and made me sleep a lot. Spent 5 days in the hospital and don't remember much."

Terry95 April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffer from chronic intractable migraines and fibromyalgia, and have a recent history of strokes. I'm a long term pain management patient and my normal pain meds are OxyContin 15mg twice a day, with Oxy IR 15mg every four hours. Three weeks ago, I tripped in a parking lot and fractured my shoulder. Because of my normal meds, my orthopedist put me on 4mg Dilaudid (tablets) every 4 hours (in place of the Oxy IR) because of the extreme pain of the fracture. I have to say that I was surprised that it did not work at all. It did, however, make me violently ill with near constant vomiting and diarrhea. I have had dilaudid via IV many times, and never experienced these symptoms, and they resolved as soon as I stopped the oral dilaudid tablet."

Karen R (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been given Dilaudid through an IV on several occasions and on all those occasions I'd rather just dealt with the pain. Today the hospital gave me Dilaudid, and some nausea medication... On ever occasion that I have been given Dilaudid through IV instantly my head gets too heavy, I begin to get dizzy and lighthead. I always get VERY NAUSEOUS and confused, so I usually sleep it off because I hate the feeling it gives me. This time was different I fell asleep about 40 minutes after getting the medication and every couple minutes I kept waking up. All of a sudden I became very hot and clamy while feeling very cold. "

Grump (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed 2 mg tablets to be taken 1 or 2 pills every 3 or 4 hours after my complicated rotator cuff surgery which involved reattaching three completely torn through tendons. The pills were completely ineffective. They did nothing for my pain. I quit taking them after the first day. I could not tell that I had taken anything. The circulating ice water machine they send you home from surgery with and regular Advil provided much better relief."

Thrasher (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had dilaudid every two hours on IV after my bowel resection. I needed this every two hours or else my body would start going into shock from trauma and pain. The IV was wonderful but doesn't last long at all. They tried giving me the pills two days before leaving but never worked like the IV. They sent me home with 1mg oral dilaudid and taking one or two did not do a thing. I had to take 3 to even slightly feel relief. It seems their pill form isn't quite effective as the IV but does last longer but just isn't as great. I agree as well as it being severely addictive. I weened myself off 4 or 5 days ago after every day use for almost 2 weeks (mostly hospital IV) and I'm still having headaches and slight nausea."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been given Dilaudid several times throughout the years. It works wonders with severe pain. I have had it via IV and in pill form. The effects from the pills are no wheres as intense as the IV liquid version but work's well. My only complaint with the IV liquid form is if you are on it for a long period while hospitalized you will hallucinate at points. Other than that it is an amazing instant relief for pain. The first time I had ever been given Dilaudid my appendix had burst and I was septic. I was given an iIV and they injected Dilaudid almost instantly I felt no pain and felt great. I was ready to go home lol. from the point of me going to the er till I received the Dilaudid, I was screaming and crying from the pain."

hippypickles (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Don't if you can help it. Yes a shot of this IV will STOP your pain, and possibly the rest of you, pretty much immediately. If you have a low BP or sensitivity, or have never taken a strong (Norco doesn't count) narcotic before, try something else first. SEVERELY addictive. One shot and you will want another one, no joke. ONE SHOT. The pill version by comparison is slow acting and hits for a long time, most people will find better relief with percocet. Unless you have just had surgery, been shot, or have a broken bone, try Fentanyl first, at least that won't kill you in one dose."

Rachielmb December 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a splenectomy and given dilaudid in my IV afterwards for pain. It made me feel nauseous and felt like I was gonna pass out. I told my nurse and she told me it was normal. Well I stopped breathing, thankfully I was revived. When I woke up my room was full of people and even a chaplain. Scariest day of my life. After that I managed my pain with only Tylenol."

DilaudidNeverAgainPlease November 29, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"i just had a total abdominal hysterectomy done 3 days ago 11/15/16. Dilaudid was awful for me. I was given it via IV along with anti neasea meds. Every time I could feel a wave of warmth and then within mins was vomiting terribly. I told them 11 hours after surgery that I didn't want any more and to giver only Tylenol. The vomiting stopped. I wouldn't recommend this at all"

Tina1017 November 19, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered from reoccurring kidney stones for about five years and i'm only 18. After trying numerous medications to control my pain, i was given Dilauded in my IV and it SAVED ME. Nothing works better for me, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have kidney stones, please talk to your doctor about dilauded. It'll save you a lot of time!!"

codes November 11, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was shot in my chest in April 2016 and was in the hospital for a month. Diluadid was the pain reliever they chose for me, and it worked GREAT. For the first two weeks the pain was unbearable, but I had the IV drip of dilaudid every 10 minutes, which worked great. I was not aware of how powerful it is for pain, but it only lasts so long. I guess my pain was so bad that for the longest time I had it every 10 minutes. Anyway, it did great and I don't think I could have handled the pain without it."

Kaitie Did (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I gave this medication a 5 and here's why.When I was in the hospital and Dilaudid was put in my Iv, it managed my pain GREAT. It kept me mostly pain free and comfortable enough to be able to sleep at night. Wonderful for my back pain.Now on the other hand,ORAL DILAUDID does not work at all.I thought it was just me after I was Rx'd them for BT pain but my pharmacist agrees. So I give Dilaudid that's given through an Iv a 10 but the ORAL formulation of this medication I give a 0.Again,this is not just me,my pharmacy told me they've gotten many complaints of ORAL Dilaudid not providing relief."

sopranofan (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given 1 mg Dilaudid IV every 2 hours after gallbladder surgery. It controlled my pain better than the Morphine and I had no side effects."

Becky S. September 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was given this medicine after bunion surgery and not told what the effects might be. got very tired, nauseated and very dry mouthed immediately was also given nausea medicine with this. Went into respiratory arrest and cardio arrest at the same time. Thank god I was revived. I was clinically dead. This stuff is terrible"

Dead an Back September 15, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had absolutely no effect on controlling pain even after Surgeon included Valium and increasing Dilaudid doseage."

Shawn Wayne (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Im on around the clock opiate therapy, so when I have something major come up, like a kidney stone, I have a hard time finding a medicine, then being able to take and mix it with my current medications.I had a kidney stone about 6 months ago, and the urologist gave me 60, 4mg hydromorphone tablets; they were useless, I took them back, he didn't want them, so I flushed them down the toilet.He prescribed Demerol 50mg 1 or 2 tabs every 4 hours, and it worked like a charm. I will say, when I went to the ER for the kidney stone, the IV Dilaudid worked wanders, but taking it by mouth was absolutely a waste, not to mention the money I spent, getting the prescription filled, to literally flush it down the toilet. No good orally, for MY pain."

Johnny C (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had chronic kidney stones for 10 yrs. Over 200 stones, over 35 stone related surgeries. Can't take Toradol, Morphine, or Zofran. 2 mg of Dilaudid IV and Phenegran eases the pain in about 30-45 seconds-flat. Just close your eyes and sleep--immediately. It doesn't last a long time, 3-4 hrs. However, the relief is almost instant and complete. No drug I have ever taken compares. Can make you loopy, and NO DRIVING!!! I only take it when the pain is unbearable-it is very addictive, if over used."

cowompa June 19, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Definitely effective against serious pain. However the side-effect warnings are serious too. This drug suppresses breathing and I was scared the first time I took a single pill. Kept 'forgetting' to breathe. Ever since, I've used a pill splitter to split the pill in half and this has proven a manageable dose. I hardly ever take these, though, because I don't want to become habituated."

Martinson99 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was placed under general anesthesia for surgery. In recovery the tube placed in my throat for inhalation had not been removed before I woke up. I was in a panic. I was screaming in my head that I can suffocating and yet in reality no one could hear me. I had been given dilaudid along with a few other medications. Later in my hospital room I where I was again given dilaudid. I was not able to get anyone's attention, but felt that if I fell asleep I would never wake up. Either the experience or the medication caused me to have to concentrate on just breathing. For pain it was great, but for breathing it seems like a nightmare."

Ok Dokey April 11, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an open hemicolectomy a few months back, and they had me on this stuff for a week. I am resistant to a lot of pain meds, and pain was so bad when it ran out, I really appreciated it despite the disorientation and floaty feeling it gave me, I was sleeping as much as possible anyway. They gave me Tramodol when I got out of the hospital, and it was nowhere near as effective, even in a double dose."

GATexas (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a history of kidney stones for more than 15 yrs already . and this medication is far the quickest n effective ..highly recommended. ."

channii8 February 27, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wonderful drug. Kept pain at bay between 1st and 2nd surgeries for broken leg and ankle, compound fracture. Is also working to mantain quality of life while bones are pinned waiting for 3rd surgery."

Phred125437 February 26, 2016