User Reviews for Dilaudid

Learn more about Dilaudid.

Dilaudid Rating Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 1875 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Pain

"I have been given Dilaudid several times throughout the years. It works wonders with severe pain. I have had it via IV and in pill form. The effects from the pills are no wheres as intense as the IV liquid version but work's well. My only complaint with the IV liquid form is if you are on it for a long period while hospitalized you will hallucinate at points. Other than that it is an amazing instant relief for pain. The first time I had ever been given Dilaudid my appendix had burst and I was septic. I was given an iIV and they injected Dilaudid almost instantly I felt no pain and felt great. I was ready to go home lol. from the point of me going to the er till I received the Dilaudid, I was screaming and crying from the pain."

hippypickles (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

"Don't if you can help it. Yes a shot of this IV will STOP your pain, and possibly the rest of you, pretty much immediately. If you have a low BP or sensitivity, or have never taken a strong (Norco doesn't count) narcotic before, try something else first. SEVERELY addictive. One shot and you will want another one, no joke. ONE SHOT. The pill version by comparison is slow acting and hits for a long time, most people will find better relief with percocet. Unless you have just had surgery, been shot, or have a broken bone, try Fentanyl first, at least that won't kill you in one dose."

Rachielmb December 23, 2016

"I had a splenectomy and given dilaudid in my IV afterwards for pain. It made me feel nauseous and felt like I was gonna pass out. I told my nurse and she told me it was normal. Well I stopped breathing, thankfully I was revived. When I woke up my room was full of people and even a chaplain. Scariest day of my life. After that I managed my pain with only Tylenol."

DilaudidNeverAgainPlease November 29, 2016

"i just had a total abdominal hysterectomy done 3 days ago 11/15/16. Dilaudid was awful for me. I was given it via IV along with anti neasea meds. Every time I could feel a wave of warmth and then within mins was vomiting terribly. I told them 11 hours after surgery that I didn't want any more and to giver only Tylenol. The vomiting stopped. I wouldn't recommend this at all"

Tina1017 November 19, 2016

"I've suffered from reoccurring kidney stones for about five years and i'm only 18. After trying numerous medications to control my pain, i was given Dilauded in my IV and it SAVED ME. Nothing works better for me, and if you find yourself in a situation where you have kidney stones, please talk to your doctor about dilauded. It'll save you a lot of time!!"

codes November 11, 2016

"I was shot in my chest in April 2016 and was in the hospital for a month. Diluadid was the pain reliever they chose for me, and it worked GREAT. For the first two weeks the pain was unbearable, but I had the IV drip of dilaudid every 10 minutes, which worked great. I was not aware of how powerful it is for pain, but it only lasts so long. I guess my pain was so bad that for the longest time I had it every 10 minutes. Anyway, it did great and I don't think I could have handled the pain without it."

Kaitie Did (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

"I gave this medication a 5 and here's why.When I was in the hospital and Dilaudid was put in my Iv, it managed my pain GREAT. It kept me mostly pain free and comfortable enough to be able to sleep at night. Wonderful for my back pain.Now on the other hand,ORAL DILAUDID does not work at all.I thought it was just me after I was Rx'd them for BT pain but my pharmacist agrees. So I give Dilaudid that's given through an Iv a 10 but the ORAL formulation of this medication I give a 0.Again,this is not just me,my pharmacy told me they've gotten many complaints of ORAL Dilaudid not providing relief."

sopranofan (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2016

"I was given 1 mg Dilaudid IV every 2 hours after gallbladder surgery. It controlled my pain better than the Morphine and I had no side effects."

Becky S. September 21, 2016

"Was given this medicine after bunion surgery and not told what the effects might be. got very tired, nauseated and very dry mouthed immediately was also given nausea medicine with this. Went into respiratory arrest and cardio arrest at the same time. Thank god I was revived. I was clinically dead. This stuff is terrible"

Dead an Back September 15, 2016

"Had absolutely no effect on controlling pain even after Surgeon included Valium and increasing Dilaudid doseage."

Shawn Wayne (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

"Im on around the clock opiate therapy, so when I have something major come up, like a kidney stone, I have a hard time finding a medicine, then being able to take and mix it with my current medications.I had a kidney stone about 6 months ago, and the urologist gave me 60, 4mg hydromorphone tablets; they were useless, I took them back, he didn't want them, so I flushed them down the toilet.He prescribed Demerol 50mg 1 or 2 tabs every 4 hours, and it worked like a charm. I will say, when I went to the ER for the kidney stone, the IV Dilaudid worked wanders, but taking it by mouth was absolutely a waste, not to mention the money I spent, getting the prescription filled, to literally flush it down the toilet. No good orally, for MY pain."

Johnny C (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2016

"I have had chronic kidney stones for 10 yrs. Over 200 stones, over 35 stone related surgeries. Can't take Toradol, Morphine, or Zofran. 2 mg of Dilaudid IV and Phenegran eases the pain in about 30-45 seconds-flat. Just close your eyes and sleep--immediately. It doesn't last a long time, 3-4 hrs. However, the relief is almost instant and complete. No drug I have ever taken compares. Can make you loopy, and NO DRIVING!!! I only take it when the pain is unbearable-it is very addictive, if over used."

cowompa June 19, 2016

"Definitely effective against serious pain. However the side-effect warnings are serious too. This drug suppresses breathing and I was scared the first time I took a single pill. Kept 'forgetting' to breathe. Ever since, I've used a pill splitter to split the pill in half and this has proven a manageable dose. I hardly ever take these, though, because I don't want to become habituated."

Martinson99 (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

"I was placed under general anesthesia for surgery. In recovery the tube placed in my throat for inhalation had not been removed before I woke up. I was in a panic. I was screaming in my head that I can suffocating and yet in reality no one could hear me. I had been given dilaudid along with a few other medications. Later in my hospital room I where I was again given dilaudid. I was not able to get anyone's attention, but felt that if I fell asleep I would never wake up. Either the experience or the medication caused me to have to concentrate on just breathing. For pain it was great, but for breathing it seems like a nightmare."

Ok Dokey April 11, 2016

"I had an open hemicolectomy a few months back, and they had me on this stuff for a week. I am resistant to a lot of pain meds, and pain was so bad when it ran out, I really appreciated it despite the disorientation and floaty feeling it gave me, I was sleeping as much as possible anyway. They gave me Tramodol when I got out of the hospital, and it was nowhere near as effective, even in a double dose."

GATexas (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

"I have a history of kidney stones for more than 15 yrs already . and this medication is far the quickest n effective ..highly recommended. ."

channii8 February 27, 2016

"Wonderful drug. Kept pain at bay between 1st and 2nd surgeries for broken leg and ankle, compound fracture. Is also working to mantain quality of life while bones are pinned waiting for 3rd surgery."

Phred125437 February 26, 2016

"I was given 1mg IV prior to surgery. The first 30 seconds were scary, I felt warmth spreading through my body and my vision was blurry. I was instructed to close my eyes. After the initial strangeness passed, I felt no pain at all. This is powerful, but when in pain, it did the trick quickly."

Kidney Stone January 10, 2016

"I had abdominal surgery and after post op I was back in my room on a dilaudid iv pump. The pain management was great but had a bad side effect. It caused mt to have hallucinations. I don't know if it was to high of a dose are not, but I was seeing weird people in my room, under my bed, I saw monsters, snakes and they all were trying to get me. I was screaming and asking for help. I had to have my wife stay with me cause I could not close my eyes to sleep. I literally felt like I was in a Freddie Kruger movie. I now list this as a drug allergy when asked if I'm allergic to any medications. I never want to experience that again"

Neveragaininmylife November 20, 2015

"I received this medication on multiple occasions. Typically the situation involved me being awake for a small surgical procedure. Though this became a typical procedure that I grew used to and at times would receive with only local anesthetics, the times I had dilaudid were far better. It reduced my anxiety for the situation and didn't cause me to feel too out of it after the procedure was done (maybe about 20 minutes?)."

:) (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

"I am used to Percocet due to years of back pain. In the hospital after a kidney procedure I had some moderate pain that morphine IV did not impact. I got one IV of dilaudid and the pain level decreased to a very acceptable level and I went home with virtually no pain"

Anonymous October 23, 2015

"I arrived at work and started to feel pain in my back and side of the abdomen. Since I have experienced this pain before, I recognized it as a kidney stone starting the trek down the urinary tract. After about 3 hours the pain maxed out and was accompanied by nausea. A coworker took me to the ER and after about 30-45 minutes of interrogation, they finally hooked me to an IV and provided a cocktail of drugs including Dilaudid, Flomax (for urine flow) and Zofran (for nausea). Almost immediately I felt a warm feeling all over and relaxed. I was able to doze for an hour or so relatively pain free. For me the Dilaudid worked perfectly, but I didn't note the exact dosage and it was a one-time thing."

MMRedSox October 6, 2015

"I was admitted yesterday 9-29-15 in mission regional hospital.. I was in pain due that I have diverticulitis... I was put in IV .. with this medication called DILAUDID.. it was horrible.. I started seeing everthing moving.. I couldn't stop vomiting.. I would try to have my eyes open but I was so dizzy.. for me this is the worst medication.. I have never felt like this with other pain killers.."

Luciana Ontiveros (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed with urethral stricture a couple years ago that was so bad I couldn't urinate hardly at all. I developed a bad infection that spread to my intestines and blood. I was in so much pain I was screaming. The doc at the hospital put me on 3 mg of dilaudid every 4 hrs. The next day I told him that was not quite lasting 4 hrs. He put me on a pain control pump that gave .5mg every 10 min. Plus I was still getting the 3mg every 4 hrs. This finally work amazingly well but in looking at the amount I wad actually getting it's no wonder. I didn't always hit the button every 10 min. but the nurse said I was still averaging 9-10mg every 4 hrs."

djsloo August 20, 2015

"Have had Dilaudid squirted in my IV at the hospital. Works immediately within seconds and can rid you of all kinds of awful pain. It will allow a peaceful sleep, and you will be staying in a laying down position anyway because it makes you feel so loopy. After about two hours it wears off a lot but you still feel better than you did. Also, it can slow down your bowel movements. As with any pain med, best to get along without it, but if you desperately need it sometimes then this is a huge relief."

Average Citizen (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2015