User Reviews for Dilaudid to treat Pain

Dilaudid Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 1456 medications used in the treatment of Pain.

Reviews for Dilaudid

Always In Pain · Taken for less than 1 month June 2, 2020

“I had surgery for gallbladder removal. In hospital, given 2mg IM of Dilaudid every 8 hours for pain. Dose was too high, but, too far apart. I would have about 4 hours of pain relief, but, be REALLY out of it (uncomfortably so), and, 4+ hours of no pain relief. When I was switched to oral, 1 mg/4H was ineffective, as was 2mg/4h. Orally I needed 6 mg initial dose , and, 2 every hour to maintain pain relief (minimum effective dose, did not fully remove pain). As IM dose I would probably rate an 8 As an Oral: 1. Oral update is not very good.”

Btrans May 3, 2020

“I have had kidney stones since I was 16. I’m 43. Toridol only works when a stronger drug is presented with it. I have had over 350 kidney stones, over 53 lithotripsy’s & 6 kidney stents. Toridol & morphine work, but not that great, I break out from the morphine, however toridol & Dilaudid literally Knick the pain out, 1 dosage of 4mg thru the IV, and then that’s it, lasts for hours! The pill form, actually takes longer obviously but lasts long. I don’t and typically refuse Dilaudid bc it’s an addictive drug, but when I have major pain, I’ll take it, one of the strongest drugs for pain. Unfortunately I have a a genetic form of stones so I will always have it! Just make sure when you take it you are lying down. I give 10 ⭐️”

Dck · Taken for less than 1 month February 23, 2020

“Had oosteomyelitis, was administered dilaudid in the ER worked amazingly, was the only dose I ever got but boy that stuff worked...”

Endometriosisgal88 February 22, 2020

“I've had morphine, toradol and dilaudid through IV for pain relief And a very high tolerance for pain. Toradol does absolutely nothing for my pain. If I thought that an 800mg ibuprofen could stop or help the pain I wouldn't be in the emergency dept spending $200.00 copay seeking pain relief. They then switch me to morphine and zofran which immediately makes my stomach gurgle and gives me a head rush and then within ten minutes I'm back in pain. However when using dilaudid. I've noticed that I am out of intolerable pain and I'm ok not nauseous and I can function better. And the analgesic effect lasts three times as long for me so I don't keep bothering them telling them I'm still in pain. I wish drs would actually listen to their patients instead of just being dismissive... I'm aware that I'm there a lot it's a chronic condition that theres no cure for.”

Mar Man January 13, 2020

“I went into ER with really high blood pressure. My head was exploding. They gave this drug in my IV. I fell asleep for 6 hrs. Woke up and could not talk or walk. I also developed uncontrollable bowels for several months. It has been horrendous. It has subsided but I still suffer from this daily. I don't take trips too far from home. This is a dangerous drug.”

Davy Jones · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

“I have bad pain from Spinal stenosis-severe. I had been up to 50 mcg Fentanyl Patches and you never know how much is really in your system. I live way down south and the hot weather made Dilaudid an obvious choice.”

Kracker55 December 21, 2019

“Have been on 7.5 Percocet for years for my AS and herniated disc’s. Got a kidney stone this week and ER asked if I wanted pain meds IV or injection I took injection. I had zero idea what they gave me but I was amazed when it worked way better than my Percocet. I have struggled for years trying to get through a month on my script of 5 a day. No Extended extended release meds seem to help. When I got home I saw they gave me Dilaudid 1mg. I got excited because I thought this medication is a level below Percocet but found out 1mg of Dilaudid is equal to 3.33 Percocet. It really burns me up that pain management feels one size fits all. I never digested oral medication well example is I take testosterone injections because my body absorbed 0 of the patch and gel. It’s obvious I do best on injections. I will lobby my PM Dr but am sure that will be considered a no no”

Rhino · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2019

“I was administered Dilaudid following spiral fractures of my tibia and fibula. It literally took my breath away with how strong and sudden the effects were, and looking back I can see why this has the potential for abuse and why pain seekers go to the ER and try to score this. Additionally, I definitely recommend Zofran paired with it, because one of the times I was administered it they left off the Zofran and I became extremely nauseous.”

Ash · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2019

“I’m a cancer patient with severe back pain. At some point the pills stopped helping me ( maybe after 2-3 days especially after my second chemo and lack of calcium in my bones). However IV is still working l. I did several attempts in the last 3 days to move to pills but unsuccessful. I need to find a way to control the back pain before I discharge otherwise I will be in ER again.”

dj · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2019

“The IV reduced my back pain the oral medication did not work at all.”

aucte pain w/migraine · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2018

“I have disc problems and plates in my neck. I also suffer from severe migraines with loss of the myelin sheath that surrounds the nerve fibers. I have been on morphine and oxicodone but nothing works like dilaudid does. I think it is better than the other two.”

Pony Tail April 16, 2018

“I was given dilaudid for pain while in the ER for diverticulitis. Not good as my breathing was suppressed and had to be monitored for days after. I will never get this pain med again.”

MariaG2000 January 23, 2018

“I have a low tolerance for pain and after a outpatient surgical procedure I was prescribed percoset for pain. They didn't help, so the doctor prescribed oxycontin. It work but it made me nauseated. He then prescribed dilaudid. It really helped to ease the pain, I experienced none of the side effects, except constipation. I took it every 4 hours, then as I healed I decreased the does to every 6 hours then I took one only at night. After the pain was gone, I stopped taking the medication and experienced no withdrawal issues.”

Dreamer2015 January 18, 2018

“I suffered respiratory depression when given this in the ER for pain after a fall. After that my life for 8 months was lived being criticallly ill with Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) like a nightmare. I am a miracle to be alive still.”

TyAustin · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2017

“I was at work one night and my gallbladder ruptured on me. That was the worst pain I have ever experienced! The pain was so bad that I was drifting in and out of consciousness. Was airlifted to a trauma center and had emergency surgery. They couldn't do it the laparoscopic way because they had to do the surgery in a rush to hurry and get it out. Was given Dilaudid through IV every 4 hours after surgery. Was very helpful! Didn't feel any pain at all because it pretty much knocked me out.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 14, 2017

“I had a spinal interbody fusion and dilaudid barely touched the pain at all. they had to give me muscle relaxer, nerve pill, and 10 mg oxycodone top go with the Dilaudid. and after all that I still hurt.”

V555 · Taken for less than 1 month October 22, 2017

“Had my gallbladder removed and they gave me morphine which didn't really help much but then I ended up with a bile leak due to complications and they put me on dilaudid and every ounce of pain vanished seconds after it was put into my iv. It made me really sleepy but not nauseous at all. Very addictive but works amazing to relieve extreme pain.”

Bob22 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2017

“First pill that works for my pain. Cancer patient and before this, just about nothing touched the pain.”

Sarashm August 24, 2017

“Worked very well for me and also removed agitation. I have to believe this drug is very addictive. Had two doses at the hospital.”

Khramos · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2017

“Was given 1 unit every 6 hours in ICU after a fempop bypass. Effect was literally in seconds after injection. Pain was gone. But my heart rate and BP dropped to the point I had to undergo cardiac monitoring. They thought it had triggered s heart attack.”

OSUmedCenterTulsa · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2017

“Last week I had an old fashioned way of Gallblabber removal (20+ previous surgeries had left behind to many adhesions for a Laproscopic removal). The .5 mg Dilaudid I was given was much better than the Morphine in past surgeries. Issue: because I am a middle class lady with insurance seeing a pain management specialist for chronic pain - I was labeled a druggie!! I was given .5 to 1 mg for my ride home. I suffered horribly in pain. .5 is 1/8 the normal dose for most coming out of surgery. My previous physician (decades) had retired. He believed NO patient should suffer unnecessarily after surgery! Not these physicians and not this poor excuse for a hospital.”

CDG4 July 9, 2017

“Dilaudid is an amazing pain reliever, but I do not recommend it if you have no self control. It is very easy to get addicted to. I have had dilaudid several times after operations. I also suffer horrible migraines and sometimes dilaudid is the only thing that will knock them out. There are also times that dilaudid makes it worse such as rebound migraines. It doesn't always help. The bad thing about dilaudid is that it does cause me to have bad acid reflux and also makes me extremely nauseous. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are in a tremendous amount of pain. It is very strong. Whenever they give it to you in an IV your whole body tingles and heats up. Its a very strange feeling. Like I said stay away from it unless you're in terrible pain”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2017

“Post surgical pain. Have had chronic pain but have just had knee revision. It did not do much for the pain. Dose was 2 mg.”

Kipper1204 May 31, 2017

“Had 2000 pound cart run over my right foot !!! Hospital gave me a shot of Dilaudid and it really helped with the pain.”

Virg78 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2017

“I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia which has spread to my brain. This medication helps so much with the agonizing pain. However, even though I am a terminal cancer patient. The Government, Insurance Co. and also pain management promised I would NOT suffer. But I am. Thanks to all, plus the persons involved by ABUSING pain medications. I, a dying cancer patient will suffer without ANY pain meds. I was a former medical student high honors on the Deans list. Due to the Government, I, a future Physician will not live to treat patients with respect, dignity, empathy or sympathy. This medication, I will never have again. Due to the Horrible pain 24/7, I have had 3 heart attacks. My feeble weak body can no longer tolerate pain. It worked well.”