User Reviews for Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief to treat Cough

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief has an average rating of 3.8 out of 10 from a total of 28 ratings for the treatment of Cough. 25% of those users who reviewed Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief reported a positive effect, while 68% reported a negative effect.

Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief Rating Summary

3.8/10 average rating

Compare all 416 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Delsym 12 Hour Cough Relief

Kj · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2021

“I just took the recommended 10mg dose for a severe cough that I can’t get rid of. I was actually hopeful that it was doing as intended, my cough went away for all of 7-10 minutes. I don’t know what to think about that, it’s a 12 hour medication. Unfortunately I would not recommend this product.”

Lil Pam · Taken for less than 1 month December 20, 2020

“I just took 10ml Delsym for my chest & dry cough adult strength. And 10-15 after taking it my heart started racing and it scared me. I called the pharmacist about the heart pounding & she stated that was a side effect. Here I am feeling like I ran a mile & back laying in my bed. I so am not happy with this even though I'm not coughing. I would caution anyone who takes this med to be careful. I don't know how long it will be before it wears off but I'm ready to feel relaxed again. Ugh December 20, 2020”

Still coughing January 10, 2020

“Please save your money on this one, folks. I've had all of 2 doses. Had diarrhea after dose #1. Waited the 12 hrs, took dose #2. I had such terrible wheezing for 1 & 1/2 hours following that 2nd dose. Scared me. As I live alone I wasn't sure I would be able to drive myself to the hospital, so I sat up & prayed, a lot. Very scary trying to catch my breath. Of course, following dose #2 came more diarrhea. This unused portion was immediately delivered to the garbage can. This was even recommended to me by my pharmacist when I picked up my 2 Rx's called in by my PMD. So glad others have written in with their comments/complaints. Wish I would have read them 1st. Now I'm out $10.00 + change but glad it's out of my house! AND, it did NOTHING FOR MY COUGH!”

delsey December 18, 2019

“Post nasal drip kept me up coughing so I bought Delsym thinking it would help. I took the regular dose about 8 pm. I couldn't fall asleep until 3 am. I was wide awake The main ingredient must work as a stimulant for me. I did not experience any other bad side effects . It did not help my cough. I will not take it again.”

Christys316 · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

“The first dose I took early this afternoon worked ok (I only took 1/2 dose), but I took the full dose about 30 minutes ago and cannot stop coughing. It’s actually worse than it was before I took the second dose. Praying this works so I can get a good night’s sleep!”

Starrnan · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

“I have been referred to this medication by two separate pharmacists at 2 different times, but my experience has not been positive. I caught a cough from my husband. I didn’t take anything for it at first, but couldn’t sleep, so explained my issue to pharmacist who recommended it. I took prescribed dose and within minutes, I was coughing so hard that I had difficulty getting my breathe. It was scary. This violent coughing went on for about 20-25 min. and then stopped. I was able to sleep about 5-6 hours and when I woke up, I had a headache. I could feel the headache through my sinuses and at the back of my head. I put a warm washcloth over my forehead for a while which helped a little, but the headache did not go away over 3 hours from waking; so I’ll have take an Aleve when I finish this review. One thing I noticed is that my cough, which was a dry cough, has now gone to my chest.”

Emma · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2019

“I have taken Delsym ever since I was young (for colds) I have asthma so a cold isn’t just a cold for me but every time I have taken it has resulted in nausea, vomiting, extreme dizziness, fast heart beat, and shakiness for about 2 days. I later learned that the ingredient called Dextromethophran was causing this. Anytime I take anything with this it happens. Idk if I’m sensitive to it or allergic.”

1Pennie · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2019

“I’ve been giving this to my my grandson for a few years now. When he got sick, he always seemed to get diarrhea and terrible gastrointestinal issues and I just equated it to a symptom of what ever bug he had caught. A few days ago we were on vacation and he got sick. The coughing started and Sinus issues. Then I got it yesterday. I’ve found that as an adult, I have to take the highest dose to quit coughing so it doesn’t work for more than a couple of hours. On top of constantly coughing and I can’t take anything else, now we both have gas and constant diarrhea. I am throwing all of it in the garbage in the am and going to take him to the Dr and get something that will actually work. Bottom line is - the Med has big time side affects and you only get about 4 hours of relief. I don’t understand why the pharmaceutical companies keep making and selling this. They positively know that it’s causing more issues than relieving.”

GG · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2018

“I get bronchitis at least once or twice a year, and this is the only medicine to help my cough. My coughing keeps me up at night, my ribs hurt, and this medicine gives me some relief. I get 0 gas, nausea, or poops from it!!! Most medicines do cause those above symptoms listed, and with this, I have none.”

AKElias December 4, 2015

“I had a very dry cough & onset of dry, wheezing chest congestion. I took a capful and the cough stopped within minutes, the congestion loosened in the nose & lungs over the next 2-3 hrs. I was able to sleep and am no longer constipated. 9/10 Stars”

Feckitjenkins March 7, 2017

“Did absolutely nothing to alleviate my cough. And now I am feeling slightly nauseated. I actually think my cough was better before taking it, as at least the hacking was removing phlegm. Now it's a useless dry cough that is just as painful to my poor abused ribs. Thankfully haven't noticed any warning signs of diarrhea. Hopefully, it'll stay that way. Overall this product was and unsatisfying waste of my money and time.”

Nana · Taken for less than 1 month February 3, 2019

“I started taking this medicine a week ago for a sinus infection related cough. I noticed more anxiety and doing a lot of running to the bathroom. I thought it was from just being sick and taking an antibiotic. Tonight I took a dose and within 30 minutes I experienced extreme nausea. I found this site and it all makes sense now! No more Delsym for me!”

JenBu April 25, 2017

“I was sleeping in the recliner and coughing no matter what I tried. This worked very well. I think it might be the best 12 hours of relief I have had from coughing. Slight diarrhea but so worth the cough relief. I would take this again when that sick with a cough.”

Situ · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2016

“Best cough medicine in the market I was having cough from a week but after l took I dose I dint had any cough next day I read lot of reviews about the medicine some guys got diahhrea don't take any medicines lf you have so weak digestive system next time take lemon tea your cough will go . This is a good medicine don't tell them to reduce the real power of medicine”

LD9 · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2018

“Delsym 12 hour cough medicine should be avoided at all costs. I wish I had never taken it. At first, it seemed to work, but then came the diarrhea, nausea, and dizziness. I had trouble sleeping while taking this product. After 2 doses, it triggered a histamine reaction as well. Before taking this product, my only ailment was a lingering cough from having a cold. After taking Delsym, I'm still dealing with the cough but now I also have diarrhea, and all the symptoms that come with full blown allergies. I can't wait until my body completely purges this horrible product from my system.”

Dolcissima7 · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2018

“Avoid taking - I took the required dosage and after one hour I had terrible gas pains and diarrhea. Very embarrassing since I am at my office. My cough did stop but it is not worth it. Also, made me very dizzy and confused and a little panicky. Don't take it with any kind of green tea or caffeine.”

Get me the GasX September 14, 2015

“I have a chronic cough for 2 months from allergies that turned to a bronchitis/asthma thing. On other inhalers and allergy medicines and took Delsym, because the cough wouldn't stop. Soothed the cough a little so I could get some phlegm out. Thinking next dose would do the trick, but 8 hours after the first dose I had bad gassy poops! Don't think I will take the second dose”

Acronix · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2018

“I took it for nasal congestion because for some reason that’s what I thought it was for, and it was the orange syrup version. It cleared up my sinuses pretty much 100% so I’m really impressed with it. I must be lucky because I ended up taking half the bottle (over a long period of time) and didn’t experience any nausea where as a lot of people say they were vomiting with only one dose (by the way the amount I drank is safe because it was pure dxm HBr).”

FeelingCheated · Taken for less than 1 month November 29, 2018

“Supposedly this stuff takes away your cough so you can "enjoy" life....NOT my experience!!! First two times I took it, constantly coughed at least three out of the eight hours I tried to sleep. Third time I took it, I took just a little more than the recommended dose and propped myself up in bed to try to get some sleep with only minimal success. Seriously, DON'T waste your money on this junk!!”

S Dunn February 3, 2017

“The label with dosage information is not clear. Under the last bottle I bought, the label was very clear: 10 ml not to exceed 6 doses per day. The new bottle dosage says: 20 ml every 12 hours. So which is it? 10 as needed, or 20 every 12 hours. Plus the direction information is under one of those "peel corner..." tabs. It is very difficult to peel the corner off without destroying the dosage information and directions. I had to call a pharmacist to get an answer as to how much I should take. First pharmacist said 2 Tbls = 10 ml. Then another said 2 tsp = 10 ml. Very confusing label.”

K · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

“This stuff is pricey and does not work!! I did not have any side effects but would not recommend this to anyone!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2019

“Works for about five hours not 12 hours”

randy932 January 8, 2015

“Seemed to be a little slower acting, but it has calmed down my cough and I have not had any sign of diarrhea”

Angie · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2019

“Only worked for about 4 hours, that leaves me with 8 hours before I can take again or something else. Now it's time to sleep and I just keep coughing.”

Pink ranger · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2019

“This medicine did it work for my cough. It made me feel loopy and drunk. It also gave me and my husband diarrhea. Like real real diarrhea. We will never ever take this medicine again.”

Cookie - age 33 January 14, 2017

“This helped suppress my cough from a cold but gave me diarrhea. Diarrhea seems to happen with all similar medicines.”

Melhasacough May 4, 2017

“I have a dry cough. I took the medicine before bed. I continued to cough and I did feel restless and had more difficulty falling asleep after coughing fits.”

Jim J. April 1, 2016

“Paid $10.00 for 3 oz bottle. Took as directed and did not stop coughing. Only upset my stomach. Called the company and they would not stand behind their product. No return policy for unused portion.”

Learn more about Cough