User Reviews for Dextroamphetamine

8.2

Fatigue

Summary of Dextroamphetamine reviews 8.7 156 reviews

Reviews for Dextroamphetamine

For ADHD: "Dextroamphetamine IR (or Zenzedi) is hands down the best ADHD medication I have ever been prescribed. I've been on and off stimulants since middle school (25 years old now) and have tried every medication besides Focalin and Desoxyn. Zenzedi is wonderful because not only does it manage my symptoms much better than Adderall, for example, it also does so with absolute minimal side effects. It doesn't destroy my appetite, it's easier to get to sleep at night, it doesn't make me irritable or agitated and I'm much less jittery and sweaty (as a result of more CNS stimulation and less PNS). I can also achieve the same effect with a lesser amount of medication (2 x 10mg IR vs 1 x 30mg XR and 1 x 10mg IR). Zenzedi is also surprisingly affordable if you can find a local pharmacy that keeps it in stock. It only ran me $90 before my insurance would cover it vs $200 for Adderall at Walgreens, which usually won't even have Zenzedi in stock. 100% recommended."

Axisnegative February 14, 2019

For ADHD: "So far 15mg 3 x a day has really improved my focus and impulsivity. I suddenly realize when I'm distracted and actually have a choice to do what I need to over focusing on random things I'm distracted by. I no longer go to the store for one thing and come back with 48 things forgetting the item I went in for, or lose my keys 5x a day. I don't ramble as much or at least am aware of it when I am rambling. On days I don't take it I see a massive difference. I'm so happy I can live a less stressed, more happy existence."

Idontwanttosaymyname (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019

Zenzedi (dextroamphetamine) for Narcolepsy: "I have Narcolepsy without Cataplexy with extreme EDS and ADHD--the double whammy. Modafinil helped but not enough--very unpredictable-- and, of course, did nothing for the ADHD. Vyvanse gave me GI trouble and I still had sleep attacks plus a terrible "crash". Adderall was the worst, as it gave me a paradoxical effect: I was even more lethargic on Adderall, also irritable! I wasn't expecting much better when I tried Zenzedi but it has helped my narcolepsy greatly and also helps my ADHD with no side effects or crash like Vyvanse. Great medication, I just wish it was easier to find. CVS and Walgreen's couldn't even order it for me, said their wholesaler didn't carry it (???)."

ICouldSleepAllDay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 13, 2019

Zenzedi (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I’ve taken stimulant medication for 13 years. I’ve found Zenzedi superior to Adderall, Vyvanse, Straterra, and Ritalin."

Nate (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2019

For ADHD: "It's quite effective on helping you focus. It's smooth sailing. As long as I eat something small while on it or a few small meals, I won't get any changes in my mood which I have gotten many times due to not eating. Sometimes though, I'll hyper focus on one task at hand as opposed to everything I have to do throughout the day. I have to say it's one of the best stimulants though. And have not gotten any side effects when I didn't take it for a few days."

Cili (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 31, 2018

For ADHD: "I have used between 60 and 90 mg. of dexedrine per day to address ADHD for 28 years with no negative side effects. "

Nick (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "This medication is hard to find, which is unfortunate because, quite simply, it works on some ADHD people when other more common medications do not. Dextroamphetamine (generic)/Zenzedi (brand name) acts more on dopamine than norepinephrine. Adderall, which is dextroamp and levoamp, the latter affecting mostly norepinephrine, made me tired and flat--and hungry. Kind of a paradoxical reaction. It helped my emotional overreactivity, but not other ADHD symptoms like initiation of tasks and related anxiety/irritability, procrastination, and negative ruminations (mentally getting "stuck"). Obviously, my brain needs help with dopamine, and too much norepinephrine is dulling and unpleasantly sedating. Those with similar reactions to Adderall (and/or methylphenidates like Ritalin) might want to give Dextroamphetamine a try. It feels like a totally different class of medication than Adderall to my (admittedly atypical) brain, and works great."

DivingWhileADHD November 26, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I have had severe agoraphobia since childhood. At 23 I started taking Paroxoteine (Paxil/Aropax) which cured me mostly. I continued until age 36 when it stopped working and I went into a very dark place, unable to leave the house. I went to a psychiatrist and went through 7 different Antidepressants with almost zero effect. My psychiatrist said maybe we should try something different. He started me on a low dose of Dexamphetamine 5mg. Within a week I started to feel better. Several months later I'm on 5mg morning 2.5mg midday and I am cured! The only drawback was insomnia for which he prescribed Mirtazapine which does a great job for sleep. Anyone out there stuck with agoraphobia, panic disorder, anxiety and depression, please consider this. I don’t know if I'd be alive today without it! Tell your psychiatrist to think outside the box. My psychiatrist has another agoraphobic patient in the same regime and that patient is also better."

David (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 17, 2018

Zenzedi (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "This stuff makes you feel like the king of the world! Unfortunately, that euphoria after 5 hours turns to dysphoria and the crying starts. Horrible thoughts that I'm a failure and no way to calm down. There should be an extended version of this drug because that 5 hour comedown is horrible."

Evilmage (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 9, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Great for focus."

MATTHEW September 14, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "Been on it for 21 years being diagnosed at 25. First thing...if your a man and your not getting your significant other pregnant....WATCH OUT!! They can finish the swimmers. Being on same 50 mg can somedays be fine or cause me to clench my teeth. It depends on proper eating and stress reduction. They used to give me huge energy to start but now it's more focusability than anything. Don't get me wrong...these are not a cure for stopping from losing your keys."

Squirrel (taken for 10 years or more) May 3, 2018

Liquadd (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I first tried to use evekeo, which I got from this med horrible effects, but when I used Liquadd the effects got even worst, I got a panic attack on the first week while using this med."

Simom59 (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "This is the one--and I only wish I'd found it 20 years ago. I have been on and off Adderall for years, though I never loved it. I had a hard time being compliant taking it, because I never felt like myself. After that, I tried Ritalin, but woah, I don't want that experience again unless it's 2 AM at a rave! Years later, a psych doc told me that she thought Dexedrine might be the ticket. I finally picked up a prescription a few days ago, and wow. Un-medicated, it's like I have an angry, frustrated, and stressed out little leprechaun inside me, and on the Dexedrine, he's slowly being replaced by a peaceful Buddha--and believe me, I've never experienced "Peaceful Buddha" before in my life---except maybe when I'm in nature on my mountain bike, etc. If you're not loving Adderall for similar reasons, I highly recommend trying the Dex. It's been a revelation. I rated it only 9 stars, because I feel spacey for the first few hours."

Ggahagan March 21, 2018

Zenzedi (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "After years of adderall and the inconsistency in quality offered by generics, Zenzedi is the only medicine that has worked great for two years now. No hard crashes with mood swings. Effective for 4 to 6 hours depending on my food choices for the day. No insomnia problems as long as last dose is between 4 and 5 pm. I'm prescribed 30mg 3 times daily."

Doug March 7, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I began treatment for bipolar 2 years ago. It has been successful. I still had severe brain fog, impatience, and lethargy though. Psych dr diagnosed ADHD on top of bipolar. Tried Vyvanse, Ritalin, and Dexedrine. Dex won for me. 10mg in am and 5 at lunch and dinner. Much more patient and clear-headed."

Sf100 March 3, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "So I started Zoloft in my 20s it worked really great for a couple of years. So When I got any depression flare-ups again, I was put on antidepressants, but noticed they weren’t working anymore, “I still feel those symptoms “sadness, low self-esteem, no energy to do anything, forgetting things, procrastinating a lot, hard to concentrate and finish a task. I wondered if I had ADD. It all pointed to Adult ADD. I told my doc of my beliefs and maybe I was misdiagnosed. I tried more antidepressants which was having no affect. Then my therapist convinced my Dr. prescribing me Dexedrine 10mg just in the morning. The first day I took my pill. My eyes were open, the energy was there couldn’t believe it, it worked. Now the 3rd day w/ just one 10mg pill in morning stopped working . In my opinion I believe a lot of people are misdiagnosed, thinking they have depression instead of ADD or ADHD"

JoDominguez (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I have visited this site for years reviewing people’s posts, always in hope that just maybe that medication would work for my severe inattentive ADHD and narcolepsy. I’ve been on vyvanse, adderall IR and XR , focalin IR and XR, any med you can name I’ve probably been prescribed. I am here to tell those that feel uncertain about this med and have suffered for years with the side effects from other meds that dextroamphetamine has changed my life. I went from an anxious, failing college student to graduating, being able to socialize like I always knew I was capable of, and pursuing my dream career (and no side effects). If anyone can relate to this post I hope it helps you. Don’t give up hope!"

underdogoutofthefog (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 22, 2018

For ADHD: "46yo female, suffered from severe ADHD since age 3. Strong family history, many generations of ADHD sufferers. Tried many stimulants & alternative choices. Ritalin and (methylphenidate based meds) turned me into zombie. Brain was mush, struggled to stay awake, uncontrollable sleepiness. My dosage was adjusted many times thru the years, side effects not caused by too high/low of dose. Other stimulants like Adderall & Vyvanse were ineffective, not too mention increased anxiety with Adderall. Its been 2yrs since my psych doctor rx'd Dexedrine spansules 15mg x 2 morning with 10mg IR afternoon. Its been amazing, I feel (normal) for the 1st time. Have no side effects."

living_the_dream February 1, 2018

For ADHD: "Dextroamphetamine was effective for my ADHD (severe restlessness, inability to concentrate) but the side effects were completely unacceptable. This drug was the worst I had ever taken. Six months on this decrepit drug ruined my cognitive abilities and left me burned out. It took me a total of four months to completely recover after ceasing use. I have had fantastic results with Ritalin (60 mg/day) with no issues on the days/weeks I don't take it despite being on it for years."

James1224 January 23, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for Narcolepsy: "I have had deal with narcolepsy add and sleep apnea since 16years old till 66 years old. Dexadrine has been much more tolerated for me than ritalin or adderall. Ritalin has less tension confusion actions and decisions ER Dexadrine is far best but not as good as nuvigil"

KSound (taken for 10 years or more) January 1, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "I have been taking it for over 34 years and am on 10 mg tabs 3 times a day. It works well for me with almost no side affects. Started on Ritalin and it did not work well for me. Also tried Modafanil it was too weak. Don't give up trying to treat your symptoms as doctors don't want to give amphetamines to you."

jack in houston December 31, 2017

For Fatigue: "Works well, should take more but don’t want to get used to it"

Gebby (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2017

ProCentra (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "I am a 24 year old female diagnosed in my 20's with adult ADHD. I spent my entire childhood unable to focus on tasks, finish anything I started, behave and sit still in the classrooms. I scraped by barely with C's and D's in grade school. Eventually focusing became so hard to do with people around that I had my parents homeschool me. Fast forward to now, I am currently in my first semester of college, and I have a 4.0 GPA. This medicine works wonders. I normally cannot function at all. I am disorganized, and always have racing thoughts. On ProCentra I am calm, focused, and organized. I finish tasks, and manage my time better. I take 10mg. a day, oral solution. This medication is also covered on my insurance, with only a $10 co-pay. Love it!"

Emmeali (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2017

For ADHD: "I’ve been on zenzedi for over a year. 20 mg twice a day, brand name. It’s really changed my life. I went on adderall for 1 month to see if I liked it better, and tried Ritalin and both were garbage in comparison. This medication makes me want to get up in the morning and start working on homework. I clean, study efficiently, and just function better. In the past year my GPA has risen to above 3.0, and my critical thinking abilities have skyrocketed. Naturally, long term use of any amphetimine is scary but I see my therapist every couple months and all is okay so far!"

Megsadd (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2017

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) for ADHD: "When I was 12 years old. I woke up at 2 in the morning to blindingly agonizing pain, bad enough that I found myself screaming at the top of my lungs. But when I tried to get out of bed I found my strength fail me and plummeted to the ground hitting my head on my night table. My parents found me and brought me to the hospital. I only found out years later when reading a list of side effects and overdose symptoms just how harmful this drug is. The word limit doesn't allow me to even scratch the surface. I will say that it has left serious physiological scars that decades later have still not healed. I cannot deny that it did help me pay attention in class. But I would still advise any parent that loves their child to STAY CLEAR!"

Coltons12 September 14, 2017