User Reviews for Dextroamphetamine to treat Narcolepsy

Also known as: Dexedrine, Zenzedi, ProCentra

Dextroamphetamine Rating Summary

9.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 29 medications used in the treatment of Narcolepsy.

Reviews for Dextroamphetamine

sergio June 2, 2019

"I have narcolepsy and have tried Adderall, Nuvigil, Provigil, Desoxyn, but they do not work or give me horrible side effects. Although I fall sleep back!. After taking Xyrem and Dexedrine and all has change is good treatment ask your dr for this combo.."

ICouldSleepAllDay · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2019

Zenzedi (dextroamphetamine): "I have Narcolepsy without Cataplexy with extreme EDS and ADHD--the double whammy. Modafinil helped but not enough--very unpredictable-- and, of course, did nothing for the ADHD. Vyvanse gave me GI trouble and I still had sleep attacks plus a terrible "crash". Adderall was the worst, as it gave me a paradoxical effect: I was even more lethargic on Adderall, also irritable! I wasn't expecting much better when I tried Zenzedi but it has helped my narcolepsy greatly and also helps my ADHD with no side effects or crash like Vyvanse. Great medication, I just wish it was easier to find. CVS and Walgreen's couldn't even order it for me, said their wholesaler didn't carry it (???)."

KSound · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2018

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I have had deal with narcolepsy add and sleep apnea since 16years old till 66 years old. Dexadrine has been much more tolerated for me than ritalin or adderall. Ritalin has less tension confusion actions and decisions ER Dexadrine is far best but not as good as nuvigil"

jack in houston December 31, 2017

"I have been taking it for over 34 years and am on 10 mg tabs 3 times a day. It works well for me with almost no side affects. Started on Ritalin and it did not work well for me. Also tried Modafanil it was too weak. Don't give up trying to treat your symptoms as doctors don't want to give amphetamines to you."

Jon Won April 16, 2017

"I have been taking Dextroamphetamines and/or Dexadrine since 1993 when I was first diagnosed with narcolepsy. The main side effect for me Is dry mouth and talking to much. If I take the medicine within 8 hours of bedtime, I may have slight problems going to sleep because I'm still thinking too much. Other than that, I'm as far away from insomnia as I can be. I have done 2 sleep studies while taking this medicine and I still go to stage 4 sleep in less than a minute, at will. Before this medicine, I was never able to drive more than 30 minutes, I couldn't go out to peoples homes, or watch TV, or go to the movies. Even when I played in a rock band I was falling asleep during practice. This is a miracle drug for me."

Punky Gipe September 18, 2015

"I was diagnosed with narcolepsy in my late 20's. Today I am 74 years young. When first diagnosed I was giving Ritalin. After a couple years that switched me to Dexedrine tablets. In my early 40's I was switched to Dextroamphetamine time released capsules of 15 milligram 3 a day. This medicine has made my life very manageable. Best treatment for narcolepsy. The cost is my only problem.."

Finally hopeful September 7, 2015

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I am 63 years old. Feel as if I have lost out on many years of living. Always had mental health issues. I managed to work for twenty-five years, off and on. Never was able to articulate my physical and emotional well being very well to a doctor. I was just handed an antidepressant and a sleeping pill. I gave up trying to find an answer to my severe fatigue, insomnia and deep depressions. I would beat myself up, since there has never been any reason, I could pin point as to why I suffered so much. I feel I have slept my life away. Now I am finally HOPEFUL. On low dose dex for one week. I slept a full 8 hours and have a positive feeling of a wonderful 25 years to come! Thanks for all the comments, which have given me a renewed strength!"

elegalone · Taken for 10 years or more August 14, 2015

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I've been taking dexedrine spansules 15 mg 2 pills at a time, 2-3 times a day for about 30 years for narcolepsy. I'm currently 57 years old. If it weren't for this Rx i would probably never leave my house. Through the years i have tried various alternative meds only to find they don't work as well. Among the alternatives tried are Adderall (made me actuallyy violent); Provigil (absolutely ineffective); and Nuvigil was worse than ineffective...because it gave me the sensation of being high. So i thought it was working and i got behind the wheel of a car...bad idea. Changed back asap. Been on the same dosage for 20 yrs. Side effects: for 10 min every day get bad dry mouth and anxious. Cost is prohibitive."

Happy and Awake · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 7, 2015

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "Dexedrine was very helpful in treating my narcolepsy. It is dependable without making me nervous. I am able to have a better attention span too! I can sit confidentiality at my desk or be in social situations and have confidence that I will not be falling asleep while someone is talking to me again! Dexedrine is a great medicine for narcolepsy."

Seigfred December 30, 2014

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at 18 years old, I have been taking Dexedrine for a little over a year now. I recommend using Dexedrine because it does a great job of keeping you awake without the nasty side effects that other medicines bring, like Adderall. Dexedrine has really changed my life, I am able to confidently drive and good at work without having to worry about falling asleep. I really wish I had this in High School. For all the younger people out there with narcolepsy ask your doctor to put you on Dexedrine, it's less expensive than Adderall and Vyvanse (Vyvanse didn't work for me I fell asleep several times on it). The side effects I find with it is sometimes it gives me mood swings, most of the time its a feeling of optimism."

Sleepingstar · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 5, 2014

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "Along with narcolepsy, I've also been diagnosed with ADHD. I have been taking dexedrine for the last 4 years. At first it was 5mg tablets which worked for a couple months. As soon as my dose was increased to 10mg spansules a day, my life has been so much easier since then. I can actually concentrate on one thing without wanting to quit in the middle and take a nap. Many side effects including dry mouth almost every day, heart pounding, loss of appetite leading to weight loss, muscles twitching, and severe tiredness if I suddenly stop taking it."

Watchilla July 19, 2014

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "Hopefully my experience will give some with Narcolepsy a little bit of relief taking this medicine. I started taking Dexedrine when I was 31 years old and 100 tablets of Dexedrine cost $5. I am now 71 years old and have been taking this for 40 years and I am still alive without any bad side effects that I am aware of. After taking Dexedrine, I finished nursing school and became an RN. Since that time I have retired. As a teenager in high school, I thought that studying was going to my bed with a book and falling asleep. If it wasn't for a clerical course, I would have never graduated as I couldn't fall asleep typing or taking shorthand. I was amazed how Dexedrine helped me. My does is 2 10 mg tablets 3 times a day."

Daniellemet February 2, 2014

"I had a motor vehicle accident when I was 21, I am now 39 and have been on Dexedrine 9 months. This has been a saviour for my life in many aspects. I have never been able to read a book. Either, I would lose interest on the first line or lose attentiveness because of my sleeping disorder. I lived with this problem for almost 20 years. I never knew anything different, simply because I've never been one to hang around large crowds to compare other female lifestyles my age, plus became a young mother at 21. My parents never said anything to me. They just let me have my 2 hr nap daily to rejuvenate myself. The other positive that Dexedrine has given me is the confidence to really pursue a career of becoming a Dentist. "

TROUThunter July 15, 2013

"After several back surgeries on a good deal of pain meds. Fight everyday to get out of bed. If I have a specific goal I can get up, otherwise in bed for 15 hours. After two weeks of 15 mg dextroamphetamine in the morning. I have begun to get a life back. More focused and life has become more enjoyable. Had issues with falling asleep at stop lights (3x) and nodding off mid sentence while reading. NO MORE!"

Sojrn · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 9, 2012

"I fall between fatigue and narcolepsy. Things like falling aslleep at traffic lights, work and at home. The doctor thought it might be the side effect of sleep apnea, so I took the test and ended up very low (6x per hour). I was put on Provigil which I soon fell asleep on, then on to Nuvigil, which wasn't strong enough. Ritalin was next but it gave a big crash when it ebbed. Now I am on dextroamphetamine and it is helping immensley. No more falling asleep in the car or at work and at home (which was putting a strain on my marrage.)"

VintageBeachgirl April 23, 2012

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I have been taking one 10 mg spansule and one 5 mg tablet in the morning and same dose at lunchtime for over ten years (since I was diagnosed with Narcolepsy). It has been a life saver for me. Keeps me alert while driving. I was told by several Doctors over the years to STOP taking it because I would need more and more of it as time went on. My dose has always been the same and I sometimes don't take all of that. My neurologist has recently started me on Nuvigil and since that may work by itself I have decided to taper myself off the Dexedrine to see if the Nuvigil may be all I need. So far no problems. I agree with comment that Dexedrine has an un-deserved bad rep. "

Anonymous February 9, 2012

Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine): "This gave me the ability to match what I take with my activities at 20 mg X 3 times a day. Days when I don't work or drive I often don't take any. Otherwise, if I know I don't have a meeting or have to grade papers in the evening, I just take in the morning and at noon. (60 mg) This was much better for me than the time release variety which always kept me awake throughout the night."

riL0 March 4, 2011

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "Dexedrine is great, aside from the increased anxiety. I currently take 90mg daily - both the 5mg tabs and the 15mg spansules. I require two 20mins naps/day, but will still have sleep attacks if I'm inactive. It may not sound overly great but without Dexedrine I'd never leave my bed/couch, as I fall asleep every 10 mins. So essentially, it does a world of difference."

Anonymous December 19, 2009

"I have been taking 10 mg 4 x daily for the last two years, and I have not fallen asleep while driving, standing still, taking finals (I am a 3rd year law student), or during class for all that time. This drug is good for me. The dose would be high for some, but I am around 200 lbs and 6' 3", so I need a moderately high dose based on body weight alone. I take the tablets, because they work quickly if I need them and I can skip doses that I do not need. Overall this drug has improved my quality of life vastly."

roc b. June 10, 2009

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I was diagnosed with narcolepsy about 5 years ago and have had very good results by taking Dexedrine."

Sleepin' Beauty May 1, 2009

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "I am at the maximum amount per day 60mg. It has helped to a certain extent. I do not need a nap to make it through a normal work day. I still have random sleep attacks when sitting/quite/inactive. It only lasts about 10 hours for me. (That is at the maximum allowable daily dosage)."

jackinoakland May 25, 2008

Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine): "Helps a great deal with daytime sleepiness, which I had all my adult life until Dexedrine. No side effects at 5 to 7.5 mg a day. At 10 mg sometimes anxiety or tension, but not always. No rebound effect or depression if I stop taking it. Not the dangerous drug some people would have you think."

Learn more about Narcolepsy

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)