User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 277 reviews 795 medications

5.2
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 277 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Benzonatate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I take care of a 94 year old and she came down with a horrible cold with cough. Her doctor prescribed tesslon pearls and within a matter of days she started hallucinating and started going into crazy dreams. She got confused so bad she had no clue who anyone was or that her house was even hers. At the same time she was also prescribed a steroid to help her lungs. Her family would not let me take her off the tesslon pearls. They kept saying it was the steroid. It clearly states in the list of side effects that hallucinating is something that can happen. Read the side effects of this medication before taking it people. Especially when your giving it to elderly!"

Pattytakescareofyou September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Its going on day 2 and still having these coughing fits...gonna give it another day if not working I'm requesting my phenergren. I don't do liquid medicine so my dr knows I'm not playing around"

Diemond32 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Literally does nothing when you take them. Told my cousin about being prescribed a pill for cough that does not help and she said "are they the pearls" LOL why yes they are."

Coughing Crystal (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I had a persistent cough for 8 weeks (muscle strain in side and back the worse pain ever when I coughed) diagnosed with walking pneumonia and was prescribed the usual Tussin with codeine (and an antibiotic) which is never helpful to my cough, after going to urgent care a 2nd time I was prescribed Tessalon (and another antibiotic) I took it 3 x day for 3 days and my cough started to cease by the 5th day no cough...2 weeks later cough started up again due to cold air, drafts at work so I read up on Tessalon that it starts to work up to 20 min after taking...maybe not 20 min for me but by end of day no more coughing."

Zestybb (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I thought I had pharyngitis - sore throat and dry coughing fits - but it turned into bronchitis. I had been coughing for 6 days straight. A dry cough that wouldn't stop. Took one 200mg gel cap and it stopped the coughing fits. Amazing!!"

coughedenough July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "The first time I've been prescribed the Benzonatate 100 MG and I've been taking it 3 times a day and my cough gets worst. It is only making me drowsy and I continue to cough day and night and a lot more at night. No sleep at all. I'm calling the doctor today and asking for them to prescribe the cough syrup that I have always gotten. Do not allow your doctor to give you this medicine, if you can avoid it."

Doc_Smith July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This medicine does nothing for me. Went to the doctor after feeling sick for two weeks. I honestly feel like I cough more after taking this pill than I do when I skip it. I skipped my dosage last night and I slept just fine with no coughing episodes. Took it this morning and now I am coughing non stop."

RM12221 July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have COPD stage 3 and bronchitis this med. Works good for me. stopped coughing no side effects no euphoria some people may need more"

Anonymous July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I had laryngitis and accute bronchitis then if that wasn't enough I got whooping cough!! These didn't work right away but by the 3rd day I was barely coughing this stuff saved me. I had a pain in the chest my side and my abdomen from this cough. Give this drug a chance it does work!!"

Artsgolfwidow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Worked very quickly and helped very much. Strained a muscle in my rib coughing. This stuff is a life saver."

Chershow (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I understand how some people say it doesn't work, because for me it took a few days. I, at times, throughout my life get sick with a cough that makes me nearly insane! Stick with it! By the second day I was experiencing very little coughing. It just seemed to just kick in and It's saved my sanity."

JudyMP June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This has helped my cough from bronchitis a lot. I've only been taking it for two days with no side effects so far. My coughing went from hours day and night to very rarely. My dosage per pill is 200mg and I can take every eight hours if necessary. I cough somewhat more when I'm laying down but not enough to keep me up all night like it was. I think it's worth a try but everyone is different and, as expected, results vary from person to person."

Susan6211 May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "My cough was worse after taking these, dry continuous cough after taking them.OTC was much better. Waste of time and money."

Laramie (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I was thrilled when I prescribed this pill as I have an uncontrollable cough that is keeping me up all night and is distressing to my body. However, it does not work."

Sick with Bronchitis (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have had the Tessalon Perle prescribed for me twice now in the past 6 mos. Neither time has it worked for my cough. I have COPD, and get bronchitis at least twice a year. This by itself will NOT treat bronchitis, you need a antibiotic. In past I've had a Dr at Urgent Care prescribe a cough syrup with codeine in it because my cough (especially at night when laying down) was so bad I wasn't sleeping, and abdominal muscles ached from coughing so much. That was a God send, and is usually the only thing that helps with this type of cough. I have told my Dr to not waste time calling in script for the Perle anymore. It's a waste of money."

JoyfulNotSoJoyful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "The first assist practitioner ordered this med because of my asthmatic bronchitis. I took it and it gave me the worst headache I ever had. It was also too expensive and my insurance would not cover it. Also, it is made with animal products (contains gelatin) and my religion does not allow it. So I may end up in hell."

asthmatic girl May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "So disappointed!!! I truly feel this did not work as well as the OTC med I was taking and at least the nighttime version had a sleep aid. Coughed for 3 solid hrs when I went to bed till my body just seemed to give up. Tonight I will just take my nighttime OTC product. Highly disappointed!!"

Sickandmiserablemom May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I have had this severe cough for 3-4 weeks now, doctor said I have bronchitis requested that I use these pills they do not work. I coughed so much that my heart was hurting as well as my lower right back, as well as my head. These pills do not work at all Doctor in the emergency says "It's hard to control a cough" I said so what do I Do? His only response: just have to wait it out. I can't work and cough like this as I work in a restaurant."

Poisonivy65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Not effective at all for me - I know it works for some, but not me"

BlusueNP May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I love thus stuff if you have a cough this stuff is like gold. I don't know why others say it doesn't work. It does on my family."

Tiggertale45 May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I get bronchitis periodically and was prescribed the pearls, but was disappointed that my cough was barely calmed, if at all. I gave it a 2 because, maybe, just maybe they helped a little, but I failed to notice."

D_MA May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This medicine is garbage. Does not work! Can't stop coughing total waste of money . Robitussin works better!"

L1965 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This little gel has become my go to for when I have bronchial spasms. I was so pleased that I have asked my general practioner for an ongoing prescription. I have found that I use less albuterol and can halt those embarrassing coughing attacks associated with asthma."

Turbo2010 May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This did nothing, and I mean nothing, for my cough. It was a total waste of money and time."

DKFJG April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I would give it NEGATIVE 10 if possible. Tired, sleepy, ribs are hurting and I'm still coughing. Garbage."

ineffective garbage (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017