User Reviews for Benzonatate

Cough
4.6

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 4.6 447 reviews

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "Took 200mg pill before bed. About 30 minutes after taking it, I had a horrible coughing fit....much worse than any cough I had not taking the drug. I could barely catch my breath. Didn’t work for me. Do not recommend."

Marylou freebush (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2019

For Cough: "Took the for a cough I had due to the flu. Took for 5 days. Still nothing. A gulp of honey is more effective. This is no good and I don't recommend it"

Jss (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2019

For Cough: "I was prescribed benzonatate for an upper respiratory infection, had a dry choking cough that persisted. My ribs were hurting and my throat from this cough. This medication was taken, 100 mg. 3x daily for up to 7 days. It helped to take away the hacking cough within the 1st dosage. Thankfully I did not experience any side effects. Hope this was helpful!"

Candy (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2019

For Cough: "This medication is the worst it made my cough more worse then what it was. I'm coughing so much now to the point it has given me a headache. Smh.. they need to take this off the market!!"

Kaykay (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2019

For Cough: "Took Benzonatate 100mg and proceed to cough continually all night and so hard my chest hurt. Absolutely useless. A sugar pill would have been better."

SickPerson (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2019

For Cough: "Physicians are prescribing Benzonatate in the hope (against evidence) that it will work. Because they are getting squeezed by regulators concerning hydrocodone or codeine mix medications. Benzonatate is ineffective against persistent cough. It flat out does not work the way that medicines with opiate additives work. So as long as there are unscrupulous doctors who have literally thrown these narcotic based meds at patients for profit or whatever motivation, honest, well-intended people will suffer with medications that are inferior at doing the job. This is my second week of taking Tessalon Perle and I can honestly say that it is a waste of your money. You might as well have a honey and brandy drink (providing you don't have an issue with alcohol). I can also recommend hot steamy showers, a cool room and lots of inactivity. Get some sugar-free candies that you can leave in your mouth and good luck."

doctor doctor May 29, 2019

For Cough: "I was diagnosed with viral bronchitis. Experienced severe cough. After taking benzonatate my cough stopped so it worked. I feel this is a very good medication. It appears some people have problem with this medication, so far it has worked for me."

HI May 25, 2019

For Cough: "benzonatate - the Tessalon Perles didn't work for my cough at all this past Winter! Hydromet is the only thing that quiets your cough for nighttime. My 81-yr-old mother is hacking out her lungs on benzonatate right now. I will have words with her so-called doctor Monday morning!"

M (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2019

For Cough: "benzonatate is a horrible pill and does absolutely nothing for a cough!"

Me May 18, 2019

For Cough: "Tried this benzonatate for three days and it had no effect at all on my cough. Reading the reviews it seems like this drug either works for you or not, no in between."

dkguru (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2019

For Cough: "Dr. prescribed these pills to me because he couldn’t quite figure out what is wrong with me. Not sure if my cough is from a viral infection or not. My coughing, before these pills, had me up for the past 2 nights. Took 1 of these pills and my coughing got worse -ladies, you know the stop, cross (your legs), and cough. I mean my coughing is so bad, that I am in agony from a headache. So I thought it was a coincidence. I’ve never taken these pills before, then just took another pill, thinking I would nip this cough before it starts full-force again, and to my surprise, I have not been able to stop coughing since the pill kicked in. I wish I could undo what I did by taking this pill. Next time, well, there won’t be a next time. I’m totally done with these pills!!"

Jen (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2019

For Cough: "My doctor prescribed benzonatate 100mg for me with the dose of 3 capsules daily for "up to 7 days" I'm finished them today as day 10th and I'm still coughing like crazy. Some months ago, my mom took this drug for her coughing, too and it didn't work for her either. And the insurance won't cover this drug."

Jane May 4, 2019

For Cough: "I was prescribed benzonatate for cough and upper respiratory infection. Now I have no taste or smell sensations. Yes, I'm 71 but my senses were very good before this. The last time I swallowed the capsule, I gagged to the point my throat was sore. I want to find out what can be done to get my senses back. My appetite has been good due to not being able to taste anything."

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2019

For Cough: "This medication is a waste of time an energy. It absolutely and completely does not work. I should of bought a coffee instead of wasting $2.60."

KRS (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2019

For Cough: "Benzonatate medication does nothing!"

bill April 28, 2019

For Cough: "Was prescribed 100mg due to coughing from post nasal drip from flu virus. I only took it at bedtime hoping it will help. It seemed to take 30 mins to kick in but only stop 50% of the coughs. And two hours later, back to continuous tickle and coughs. At the end, no sleep, so why bother."

Upatnightcoughing (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2019

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "Had to go to urgent care because it felt like my entire esophagus was on fire. Turns out, I have pharyngitis caused by my terrible cough. The cough has kept me up all night for the past week. Dr. prescribed the Tessalon Perles and magic mouthwash. The magic mouthwash works wonderfully, but the Tessalon does not well, it works for about 30 minutes and I am right back to coughing. Called Dr. to see if there was something else he could prescribe. Hopefully I can get a full night of sleep sometime soon."

Mrs.Ayesh (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I take these exclusively for coughing related to sinus drainage - they are anesthetic/numbing pills that are designed to block the cough reflex that results from constant drainage (post-nasal drip). (Imagine being able to get chloraseptic spray to hit that pesky spot in your throat that reacts to the tickle of sinus drainage. They are not an expectorant or a cough suppressant, so they WILL NOT work on chest congestion with/without mucus. They are not designed to help you cough up mucus or block the cough reflex in your lungs. That said, NOTHING works to shut down the cough reflex in my throat like these little godsends."

jmc (taken for 10 years or more) April 22, 2019

For Cough: "After taking these for 4 days, nothing has improved. I am still coughing but I’ve gone from a deep, phlegm cough to a very unproductive dry cough. Really wish I hadn’t wasted my time with these."

Anonymous April 16, 2019

For Cough: "The first time I took benzonatate for my cough I woke with a severe headache, cold sweats and vomiting. I didn’t realize it was from the medication so I took it again 5 days later and had chest pain, epigastric pain, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia. I will never take this med again!!!"

Anonymous April 9, 2019

For Cough: "Benzonatate does not work for my cough. Doctor upped the dosage to 200 mg and still didn't do anything."

Dtj April 3, 2019

For Cough: "Made my cough WORSE."

Spike (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

For Cough: "As many others have mentioned, this medication seems to do more harm than good. After taking it, within 20 minutes or so, I am coughing constantly to the point of gagging and throwing up. My son-in-law was also prescribed this and had a terrible rash all over his body and it also made him cough more. Since it is prescribed so frequently, there needs to be more emphasis from practitioners about swallowing with a glass of water and not letting it dissolve in your mouth at all. Otherwise, it can numb your tongue and swallowing mechanism. Hope it works for some people, but not for anyone I've known so far."

ks (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I grew into lung issues. Walking pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, continual coughing. Someone suggested I ask the doctor for the coughing pearls. I had zero negative side effects. Instead by cough nearly stopped. When I did start to cough again it was because it was time to take another dose. This single gel tab allowed my lungs to rest so I could get restful sleep. Colds go away much faster when I have this to use. Have also suggested them to others who have had the very same positive experience. I am so very grateful for these and have been on them numerous times over many years. Always work very well for me!"

Janet (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

For Cough: "Took the first 4 doses just waiting for a miracle and then sent my husband for some Mucinex. The Benzonatate did nothing for me - I wish I hadn’t wasted the last 48 hours with the same deep, painful cough I started with."

Hacker (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)