User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough
5.2

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 5.2 285 reviews

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "I started taking this due to my severe Sinusitis, I started noticing more frequent nightmares 4 nights in a row and decided to search this medication's side effects/symptoms as another medication has caused me nightmares. Sure enough there are many reports of nightmares, as well as, the medication having no improvements. I have no relief and will just take OTC cough meds again. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION!!!"

Noona Leo November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "Tessalon is the only thing that helps me when I get a really bad cough. I've tried everything else. With Lupus and chronic infections/bronchitis this medication has helped me very much. No one likes coughing. This medication worked for me when nothing, I mean NOTHING else did. Thank you to the Makers of this drug! Kudos."

StefLu (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I had a cough for 2 weeks and finally went to the doc because my coughing was getting worse and I was starting to get a fever. Was diagnosed with a severe URI and prescribed a Z-pack and the perles. Before taking the meds I would cough a few times an hour, but they were painful. 30 min after taking the perles, I was coughing hard to the point of almost vomiting almost constantly. My chest hurts badly and nothing is relieving this cough. I will not be taking these meds again. Time to go back to the store and get something OTC......"

toosick November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The first time the pearles were prescribed, I thought they were a miracle drug. Suppressed my cough, and no side effects. Every spring and fall, I get a chest cold. So, I got a prescription 3 days ago. My cough is just as bad as it was 4 days ago AND I am in constant gastric distress. I'm disappointed that they didn't work this time, and the upset tummy and dizziness have turned me off. I'm going back to Mucinex and Robitussin."

Pooped (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Was just rx'd these for bronchitis with a dry, hacking cough that just starting to break up. I am barely coughing other than to clear throat now and cough up stuff. The continuous hack is gone! Great for daytime use to avoid cough syrup with codeine."

annie6749 (taken for less than 1 month) October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Ok I am x ems/fire/law enforcement person .I am medically retired from this profession. I drive a commercial vehicle for a living now. I am also a heart patient/diabetic type 2. I get to drive all over the US and Canada. I have read numerous statements that it doesn't work or does work. No it may not work for all. I started Monday taking this. It has slowed my hacking down quite a bit. I have not had any side effects of any yet. I'm about to have triple bypass done. I have tried over counter I found only one bottle of med I could legally use that worked. This seems to work for me at this. I will comment at least twice more . I will use it up to my surgery date and a comment to all to how good it was or bad. Everyone is different meds."

Garfield2 (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Been taking for 3 days and haven't slept more than an hour or 2 total, does not help with my cough at all, very ineffective"

Sebon (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Have been taking since yesterday for cough. No help at all so far. Will go back to my Ricola natural herb lozenges if this continues through today."

Just Stop (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I take care of a 94 year old and she came down with a horrible cold with cough. Her doctor prescribed tesslon pearls and within a matter of days she started hallucinating and started going into crazy dreams. She got confused so bad she had no clue who anyone was or that her house was even hers. At the same time she was also prescribed a steroid to help her lungs. Her family would not let me take her off the tesslon pearls. They kept saying it was the steroid. It clearly states in the list of side effects that hallucinating is something that can happen. Read the side effects of this medication before taking it people. Especially when your giving it to elderly!"

Pattytakescareofyou September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Its going on day 2 and still having these coughing fits...gonna give it another day if not working I'm requesting my phenergren. I don't do liquid medicine so my dr knows I'm not playing around"

Diemond32 September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Literally does nothing when you take them. Told my cousin about being prescribed a pill for cough that does not help and she said "are they the pearls" LOL why yes they are."

Coughing Crystal (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I had a persistent cough for 8 weeks (muscle strain in side and back the worse pain ever when I coughed) diagnosed with walking pneumonia and was prescribed the usual Tussin with codeine (and an antibiotic) which is never helpful to my cough, after going to urgent care a 2nd time I was prescribed Tessalon (and another antibiotic) I took it 3 x day for 3 days and my cough started to cease by the 5th day no cough...2 weeks later cough started up again due to cold air, drafts at work so I read up on Tessalon that it starts to work up to 20 min after taking...maybe not 20 min for me but by end of day no more coughing."

Zestybb (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I thought I had pharyngitis - sore throat and dry coughing fits - but it turned into bronchitis. I had been coughing for 6 days straight. A dry cough that wouldn't stop. Took one 200mg gel cap and it stopped the coughing fits. Amazing!!"

coughedenough July 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "The first time I've been prescribed the Benzonatate 100 MG and I've been taking it 3 times a day and my cough gets worst. It is only making me drowsy and I continue to cough day and night and a lot more at night. No sleep at all. I'm calling the doctor today and asking for them to prescribe the cough syrup that I have always gotten. Do not allow your doctor to give you this medicine, if you can avoid it."

Doc_Smith July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This medicine does nothing for me. Went to the doctor after feeling sick for two weeks. I honestly feel like I cough more after taking this pill than I do when I skip it. I skipped my dosage last night and I slept just fine with no coughing episodes. Took it this morning and now I am coughing non stop."

RM12221 July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have COPD stage 3 and bronchitis this med. Works good for me. stopped coughing no side effects no euphoria some people may need more"

Anonymous July 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I had laryngitis and accute bronchitis then if that wasn't enough I got whooping cough!! These didn't work right away but by the 3rd day I was barely coughing this stuff saved me. I had a pain in the chest my side and my abdomen from this cough. Give this drug a chance it does work!!"

Artsgolfwidow (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Worked very quickly and helped very much. Strained a muscle in my rib coughing. This stuff is a life saver."

Chershow (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I understand how some people say it doesn't work, because for me it took a few days. I, at times, throughout my life get sick with a cough that makes me nearly insane! Stick with it! By the second day I was experiencing very little coughing. It just seemed to just kick in and It's saved my sanity."

JudyMP June 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This has helped my cough from bronchitis a lot. I've only been taking it for two days with no side effects so far. My coughing went from hours day and night to very rarely. My dosage per pill is 200mg and I can take every eight hours if necessary. I cough somewhat more when I'm laying down but not enough to keep me up all night like it was. I think it's worth a try but everyone is different and, as expected, results vary from person to person."

Susan6211 May 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "My cough was worse after taking these, dry continuous cough after taking them.OTC was much better. Waste of time and money."

Laramie (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I was thrilled when I prescribed this pill as I have an uncontrollable cough that is keeping me up all night and is distressing to my body. However, it does not work."

Sick with Bronchitis (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have had the Tessalon Perle prescribed for me twice now in the past 6 mos. Neither time has it worked for my cough. I have COPD, and get bronchitis at least twice a year. This by itself will NOT treat bronchitis, you need a antibiotic. In past I've had a Dr at Urgent Care prescribe a cough syrup with codeine in it because my cough (especially at night when laying down) was so bad I wasn't sleeping, and abdominal muscles ached from coughing so much. That was a God send, and is usually the only thing that helps with this type of cough. I have told my Dr to not waste time calling in script for the Perle anymore. It's a waste of money."

JoyfulNotSoJoyful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "The first assist practitioner ordered this med because of my asthmatic bronchitis. I took it and it gave me the worst headache I ever had. It was also too expensive and my insurance would not cover it. Also, it is made with animal products (contains gelatin) and my religion does not allow it. So I may end up in hell."

asthmatic girl May 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "So disappointed!!! I truly feel this did not work as well as the OTC med I was taking and at least the nighttime version had a sleep aid. Coughed for 3 solid hrs when I went to bed till my body just seemed to give up. Tonight I will just take my nighttime OTC product. Highly disappointed!!"

Sickandmiserablemom May 7, 2017