User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 159 reviews 784 medications

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 159 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "I was prescribed this to suppress my cough for bronchitis. Aside from the fact that he didn't suppress my cough, it made me break out in hives for the first time in my life. This is the worst medication I will never drink it again."

Yesi11 August 25, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Have been prescribed this med twice before. First two times worked like magic. Just swept the urge to cough away. This time, years later, same story. After 8 days of continuous wracking coughs, and 20-hours a day in bed, gave up on OTC-DM tablets and went for better help. After 1 perle, the coughing has subsided. No side effects. Bliss."

Perley August 25, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was prescribed this medication at the ER, after a coughing fit so severe I almost passed out. I took my narcotic cough syrup before bed. I woke up about 6 hours later coughing, so I took the Tessalon Perles. My coughing stopped, but I got every side effect. My head was pounding so bad I couldn't sit or stand for more than a few minutes. I was very disappointed, because I needed something to get me through the day. This medication worked great on my cough, but I felt worse in every other perspective."

NettyRed August 19, 2016

For Cough: "I have occasional asthma and always get stubborn bronchitis every time I get a cold. My lungs get easily irritated and spasm, and I can have intense coughing fits that result in gagging and vomiting. It's a vicious circle since the irritation and spasms cause coughing resulting in more irritation, etc. My physician prescribed Benzonatate for this and it has been wonderfully effective. It works better for me the Codeine cough syrup. The Codeine seems to calm things down, but the benzonatate puts a big stop on the irritated dry cough. My lungs can calm down and heal now. So glad this drug exists!"

AdGal (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

For Cough: "Yesterday was 2nd instance that I have been prescribed the 200mg Benzonatate. I take religiously 3 times per day and yet no change. Last time I was prescribed I have a terrible sinus infection and bronchitis and all my symptoms continued for 8 days after taking this and a nasal spray for 10 days straight. This time I have upper respiratory infection and pharyngitis and after roughly 36 hours of meds there is no change in cough.....I think a cough drop does more. Don't think this works at all."

MellEmma (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2016

For Cough: "Only rx that actually worked for coughing. Finally able to get some sleep without that sinus irritation in throat making me cough and cough."

Squrriel July 15, 2016

For Cough: "Didn't work well, constipation."

Jake182 July 13, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I've had asthma since I was a baby. all colds since I was a baby have ended up turning into bronchitis or pneumonia. I am 29 now and asthma only flares up once or Twice a year from a bad cold. The ONLY thing that has ever helped my cough was codeine cough syrup... It's a miracle drug. (Aside from inhalers but that never stops the cough) However after 2 weeks of horrible bronchitis with coughing fits so bad I am dry heaving, I went back to the doc and told him I needed something that didn't make me drowsy so I could actually function during the day without coughing. He gave tessalon perles. I just took one dose 100mg an hour ago and my coughing has virtually stopped even laying down. THANK GOODNESS FOR A NON-NARCOTIC MED THAT WORKS!"

Simi Truzman (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Upper respiratory infection sent me to an urgent care center, where 100mg of Tessalon Perles was prescribed. This lowest dosage relaxed the lung muscles so I didn't suffer from the coughing spasms and while I still had to sleep sitting up I was more comfortable. Prescription was for 3xday but I only took it twice daily. Follow-up visit to my primary care doctor resulted in a prescription for 200mg twice daily and that dosage was too much for me. I had a scary episode resembling a heart attack and stopped the medication immediately. Heart pounding, chest muscles tightened front and back, profuse sweating, dizziness, one episode of vomiting. I consumed large quantities of water to flush the drug out of my system and will never take it again."

LonestarBabs (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Started taking this after 3 weeks of coughing so intense that I would gag and gasp and have to run to the restroom to pee. Horrible. This was the only thing that lessened the coughing, but my doctor insisted I take it with a decongestant. I still cough, but it has been fewer and less intense."

Engteacher (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The first prescription I've ever had for a cough that actually works."

rmherring (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

For Cough: "Cough drops control my cough better...this drug largely ineffective."

Rev The Man (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

For Cough: "I gave this a 3 because I did get a lil more sleep but I still have a hacking wet cough I have bronchitis and a URI I've had no side effects on the 100mg I take"

Cattt May 30, 2016

For Cough: "My mother in law who is 90 started taking benzonatate (tellson perles) on a Thursday.It took about 3 days to fully work.She sounds much better and,was able to sleep last night without hacking.she was dx with bronchitis."

Annie1025 May 22, 2016

For Cough: "side effects for me were same as few others with negative result... after taking 200mg. I felt like I was hallucinating; going crazy . Sinus areas inflamed quickly with headache. I must be allergic to his drug."

Halucinating (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "This cough suppressant really helped with my chronic cough."

proudmomof1 May 10, 2016

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "After being unable to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time for three nights in a row even with my head elevated on several pillows, the doctor gave me this. My nonstop dry cough stopped for up to 5 hours, and then it came back, but less severe. It doesn't last 8 hours, but it allowed me to get some much needed sleep. Sucking sugar free cherry Luden's cough drop, and/or swallowing a teaspoon of honey without water help also. Also take Mucinex to thin secretions."

Tired of coughing May 1, 2016

For Cough: "Prescribed for dry bronchitis cough that did not clear on its own and was keeping me up at night when OTC syrups weren't cutting it. The 100mg capsules worked nearly immediately for me, though didn't last the full 8 hours."

Brian the TV guy (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Just started using tessalon perles while having a horrible cough from bronchitis. Very shortly after taking first dose I am hardly coughing at all! That's awesome as last night I was coughing so much I woke up with no voice! Not having any side effects from it as others have reported. Love it!!"

Befought April 4, 2016

For Cough: "Terrible side effects after taking 200mg. I felt like I was hallucinating; going crazy feeling. Sinus areas inflamed almost immediately with headache. I'll never take this again."

Fbr March 31, 2016

For Cough: "I've had coughs that would last almost whole winter n taken very expensive cough meds funny how now I have the flu and this benzsonate pills are the only thing that has worked"

Mikey c g (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

For Cough: "This medicine doesn't work at all. It should be discontinued. Clinic prescribed it to me because they aren't allow to prescribe medicine that actually works, like codeine cough syrup. Now I'm heading into my 2nd night hacking and coughing with no relief in sight."

Chickachicka March 21, 2016

For Cough: "Have had this stupid cough for 2 weeks now, taking this medicine for 3 days now & has not done anything, no change whatsoever...I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do! :("

LindaYB (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

For Cough: "Well, I guess it took away my cough but it was just a cough. It did way more than than just a cough. I stopped taking the medication 2 days ago now I'm really mentally confused and having so much hallucinations. I know it might say that side effect online but it didn't on the bottle. She didn't even tell us what she was gonna give us. She just put the medications and walked out for 30 minutes and left us in there then came back and left. After the first day of taking them I started to get depressed. To the point that I won't even eat. I lost a lot of weight and I started to have horrible hallucinations. It kept me up all night crying scared because I didn't know what the hell was going on. Hate that she gave this at a kids Doctor."

Kaileyav February 27, 2016

For Cough: "I developed dry cough for 6 days after having a sore throat. Not being able to sleep at all for almost a week, I finally went to see a doctor. He prescribed 10mg Clarintin and claimed I have post nasal drip, I was skeptical since I didn't have nose issue but took it since I don't want to doubt his professionalism, true enough I was still coughing the following 2 days which made me even more cranky due to the lacked of sleep. Thanks to everyone on this site, I found hope and call the doctor back to ask him for Benzonatate 200mg. After taking for 2 days and three times a day, I was finally sleeping! Remember that this drug works best for dry cough like one of the reviewer said and wet cough might not see result as quickly or as effectively!"

Hipster Cat February 21, 2016