User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 204 reviews 788 medications

5.7
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 204 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia and maybe Bronchitis. After 3 weeks of feeling really bad, with all flu symptoms. Coughing, sore throat and feeling crummy, I finally went to the Dr. She prescribed Benzonatate 100mg 3x a day as needed. Plus Amoxcillan. Took 3 doses yesterday of the Benzonatate 2 today before deciding that it was making me worse. After reading reviews, I see that I'm not the only one experiencing theses side effects. I feel like I'm coughing up a Lung, (I'm sure my neighbors hate me) fever, night sweats, headache so bad feels like my head will explode. Depressed...decided not to take anymore and still have side effects day 3. Calling Dr. In the morning. Correction in a few hours. It's 5:30 a.m. no sleep. Do not recommend."

Kay1423 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "They work!"

Momma knows what works baby January 13, 2017

For Cough: "Have had this cough since middle of Dec. My cough is so bad it took a couple doses to see good results, but if I didn't take these at bedtime I wouldn't sleep at all. Have had to sit up to sleep. Can now lay down and sleep all night."

Nancy L. C-M January 12, 2017

For Cough: "I was prescribed benzonatate for an upper respiratory infection. I've had a horrible tickle in my throat at night and can't sleep. It has helped my cough but I've noticed it wears off after about 3 hours. Only side effect I've had is mild headache."

hnc January 11, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Did not experience much relief of cough but found myself running to the bathroom multiple times at night. Will probably discontinue, had I tried before work, this could have been a nightmare!"

Jk01123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "A sudden fit of nonstop coughing landed me at doctor's office. Nothing over the counter helped. I felt like my ribs were cracked and pain was awful. My Dr prescribed Tessalon Perles 100 MG. No more cough and no side effects. I am back to normal. "

Cracked ribs (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

For Cough: "Been on it 2 days, does 0 for me. Cough is still horrible! Don't waste your money."

Del822 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

For Cough: "I was prescribed this for bronchitis. I have a persistent cough that keeps me awake. This medicine seems to work really well for about 3 hours max and then it's like a light switch goes off and I wake up coughing like a maniac. I'm supposed to take it 3 times a day as needed but I have no idea what as needed means. I need it at night every 3 hours. I'm allergic to codeine, so I got this prescription instead. I have never heard of this medicine so I'm a little hesitant to take more than prescribed. I miss the days when a doctor prescribed hard core, let's get rid of this cough, medicine. My entire body aches from the cough alone and no one is getting much sleep in my house. :)"

Can't Stop Coughing December 31, 2016

For Cough: "This may help for a couple hours at most but then I'm right back to coughing that gut wrenching cough again. I was hesitant to try this over the codeine cough syrup in the first place but was assured it was highly effective. I was up all night again coughing. I'm so sick and so upset."

Coughing my head off (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

For Cough: "Useless. Coughs are still really bad and frequent. Took more than the directions said to see if that would help and let's just say don't do that."

Anonymous 1990 (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

For Cough: "This product never worked for me. I'm so sick of doctors trying new stuff. Doctors can give me what I know works or I can find another doctor. The older I get the more I start feeling like a guinea pig!"

TED77243 December 29, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I started this a few days ago, after I was told by the Clinic that it would work well for me because it was a "non narcotic" however, I found that it only provides temporary relief. it does nothing to help fight the infection causing the cough. I was told to stop taking other OTC Medicines. But this really didn't do anything"

constantcougher (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "have been taking them for two days now and have seen no change in my cough, especially at night, I coughed all night. tempted to go to the drugstore tomorrow and ask for something they can recommend. I think tonight I am going to take something else."

cougher1227 December 27, 2016

For Cough: "Was prescribed this for violent cough and bronchitis. Works for maybe an hour but I cannot take this during the day because it makes me sooooo drowsy. I want to be able to take it more but I took one pill and almost slept for a straight 24 hours."

Cdawg123 December 24, 2016

For Cough: "Was prescribed this medicine for cough due to severe sinus infection. It did absolutely nothing - ugh. Waste of time and money."

Lolagirl1111 December 22, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I have had my respiratory virus for quite some time which had turned into a infection. I was up all night coughing and with a tickle in my throat. Could not even get a quick nap in I was coughing so much. I decided to bust out the Tessalon Pearls my doc prescribed me a year or so back.. after trying DayQuil and NyQuil severe which didn't seem to be working whatsoever for my cough. I took 100 milligram Pearl and within 20 minutes the urge to cough Reduce by at least 50% I'm amazed at how quickly it works and can't wait to fall asleep for the first time in days. I would suggest trying this before going to the more sedate of a narcotic and of things with the cough syrup definitely worth it and way less symptoms and side effects."

SicklyOneCoughing December 21, 2016

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "Diagnosed with bronchitis and sinusitis, I had been unable to sleep as I was coughing terribly all night long. My doctor prescribed me Tessalon Perles and the coughing stopped immediately! I felt relaxed and wonderful and was able to lay down and sleep. However, 5 hours after taking 2 pills, the effects wore off and I was thrust awake coughing something fierce again. Just wish it the meds would last longer!"

IrishKat December 19, 2016

For Cough: "Sick since Thanksgiving (now Dec. 16) and finally went to immediate care clinic. Put off going to a doctor because never thought there was anything that could be done for a cough as persistent as this: wrong. Be sure to share all your medications, prescribed and natural (like sambuscus). This is helping my unproductive cough be productive, when I do cough. It does lessen its frequency. It also prevents it from turning into something worse if I had nothing and just kept coughing. Plus, coughing spreads the germs, so by lessening it you stop spreading it to others. I had no nightmares and had normal just great sleep. I do not write on these sites ever, but thought this ah-ha might help."

Helena1988 December 18, 2016

For Cough: "It has done NOTHING for my cough from pneumonia."

ZookeeperM1msn.com December 14, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Works like a charm. I take it only when I get an uncontrollable dry heaving gagging sore ribs diaphragm forget about sleeping kind of cough if I have an URI, occurs about once every several years. If you're experiencing side effects try taking lowest dose possible and make sure you're hydrated."

TGC RDN December 13, 2016

For Cough: "This stuff does not work on me... All I feel is tired and dizzy. No cough suppressant at all. Super frustrating."

Hacking a Lung! (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2016

For Cough: "no relief worthless"

847 December 8, 2016

For Cough: "Worked great for my cough, however gave me nightmares. After reading other reviews and research about it causing these nightmares. I found it was because I took it with nicotine patch, albuteral, prednisone and antidepressant (prescribed for quitting smoking) ...I wish I had known that would/could happen. I would never have taken it. Going to be a long day at work tomorrow. Yaaaaawn."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 29, 2016

For Cough: "Absolutely worthless. I went to a clinic on Thanksgiving day and was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. The doctor prescribed this and my cough has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY worse. I'm completely irritated. I can't sleep, and I'm about to go to the drug store and just buy some damned cough syrup. I'm not surprised at all to see all the one-star reviews. Wish I could give it ZERO."

Scott S. November 26, 2016

For Cough: "took this pill several years ago and glad I kept it. Has been my go to cough relief RX. I have used when I had Bronchitic episodes and once it went into my ear.I had to get drops for ear s for that) anyway what ever these pills are I recommend them. sure I could get cough med with Codine but this just works for me with less side effects. I actually have no side effects with this cough pill. For me it was and still is a life saver as I must be able to function during the day. it did give me cough relief and as I said no side effects for me and I tend to be very sensitive."

mature user November 25, 2016