User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 238 reviews 789 medications

5.3
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 238 reviews 5.3

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "I've taken 1 capsule 200mg, no cough for hours, slept all night"

Juw March 18, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I had the flu and was prescribed to take these pills for a bad cough. It seemed like every time I took one my cough got worse. I stopped taking them and went to over the counter cough syrup. Worked much better!"

Molly5989234 March 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Did not work - tried it on two occasions. Weak medical practice trying to divert sick patients from getting the narcotic cough medicine which works! Very disappointing!"

Interested in What Works March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I called the on-call doctor to request the prescription cough syrup since I was going on my third night with no sleep. I was told she could only prescribe Benzonatate because the prescription cough syrup has a narcotic in it and due to "new laws", I could not get my much needed cough syrup..I am not a junkie and if I am paying for insurance, then I should get the medication I need!! The capsules did not work at all!!!! I know my doctor is most likely getting an incentive for prescribing the capsules. I drank hot tea with lemon and honey which helped my nagging dry cough and used steam from the hot shower. I am going to see my doctor today to get some REAL medication. The doctors need to start caring about your patients!!!!!!"

StartCaringAboutYourPatients (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I've had a cough for almost a year. Been to many Drs to no avail. Recently one prescribed this medication. It is amazing! Considering I cough almost all day and night it was a godsend. I have only been using it at night and it has pretty much wiped my cough out so I can sleep. I took it during the day today (did not make me drowsy) for the first time because I was having a coughing fit. About 20 min later I had relief. It's so wonderful to finally have something that works."

Michellechelle5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I have had a terrible cough for over 3 weeks and finally got put on Benzonatate and it didn't work a bit. :( lonzengers worked better!"

Careeee March 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Made cough way worse. Thank god I took my first ones in the daytime so the effect will hopefully be gone by bedtime."

Georginalia March 8, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Have been prescribed tessalon perles several times for bronchitis and they've never once worked for me. I might as well eat a sugar cube. Sadly cough drops do a better job of suppressing my cough than tessalon perles and that's nothing to brag about. The previous poster who wants the syrup is right, that stuff is the only thing that really works."

Listentomedoc March 1, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Husband and I prescribed Tessalon Perles. He has bronchitis, I have a lung infection. Prescribed different antibiotics. Neither one of us feel the Perles work one bit. I notice increased saliva, dizziness, and he has a headache and chills since taking. Going back to doctor to complain, need relief. Nyquil works better if you ask me."

HBHollyB February 28, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "About 14 years ago I had the flu/bronchitis and was prescribed tesslon pearles along with the Z-Pak it worked great. I had coughed so bad it felt like I was going into pulmonary distress it immediately helped but now in the last 2 years I have this nagging cough it seems to come with a real bad sinus infection both years I have been prescribed tesslon and it doesn't even help the coughs keep returning. Last week I have taken 3 pearles a day at 100mg each I am still coughing I have asked for THE SYRUP and was told NO or the docs would look at me like I was JUNKIE trying to get over I don't understand the docs if this stuff isn't working why are they writing the scripts I WANT SOME OF THAT SYRUP LOL that is the only thing that helps"

lia3131 February 27, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I think it has helped, but I'm not sure how much to attribute to these pills vs the new inhaler I got at the same time. One or both have cut down my coughing and helped keep all that yucky, clear mucous out of my nose and mouth. Just started both meds so should know more soon."

Kitty Cat123 February 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Works really well for me. I have COPD with frequent bronchitis. This medicine seems to thin the mucus and makes it much easier to get up. Stopped my dry hacking cough"

Smelcherrose February 25, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Doesn't work at all like ever."

Chrisnicole88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "This medicine does not work. Obviously, the physicians are provided incentives to prescribe this non-effective medicine."

Diamondboi69 February 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Does not work at ALL. Don't bother with it!"

anonn ymous February 24, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Save your money and treat your cough.This does not work!!"

Deva3395 February 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Doesn't help cough at all...threw em away"

Debblu February 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I have been taking this for a couple days now and I have been major sweaty and I was running fever. I'm not so much as running fever now but, I'm extremely sweaty all the time. I'm taking this for bronchitis. This is my second time getting bronchitis in one month the medicine I was using the first time didn't work so, I have to try a completely new set plus an inhaler. I can't sleep I took about a 3 hour nap during the day and, it's 3:00am and I can not seem to sleep. My cough hasn't gotten better it's still the same it's mainly the reason I am awake. I'll be fine if I'm siting up but when I lay down I start hacking. Anyways, I'm very sweaty and very awake. "

Rose0425 February 18, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "My doctor said the pearls did not work for her but other people said they work great. I tried them and in 20 min my cough was gone!! I see they don't work for everyone but they worked for me!"

Ck2468 February 17, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I was prescribed benzonatate today for the third time in the last few years. I have a wicked sinus infection and hacking cough. Every time I have been prescribed benzonatate, I have had a good attitude, "Maybe this time it will work." Every time I have used it, I have felt like I was given a placebo by mistake. No side effects at all, but it has never worked for me. Not working today either. Still hacking."

Melmopink February 14, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Doesn't work and causes foul smelling gas and stools."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "benzonatate medicine is useless for suppressing cough while you sleep. It makes your cough worse. I don't understand why most doctors like to prescribe Benzonatate to their patients. It is a killer and wasted . I agree most people's comment."

Bazoo February 10, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "I was prescribed this medication for a post nasal drip I've had for several weeks. I hate it. It only lasts 2-3 hrs the first couple times you take it, then it only lasts maybe an hour, now I'm up coughing worse than before, googling if I can take more than prescribed. Do not do that. I have 200 mg 3 x as needed. I have a terrible headache and my ribs are killing me. On top of that I pee a little every time I cough which is just wonderful seeing I have to work tomorrow. I'm discontinuing and calling my doc first thing in the morning."

Meoryck (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Dr prescribed this to stop the coughing so I could get some sleep. Doesn't work. Coughing actually seems worse, if that's even possible."

Mel 21 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Cough: "Tried taking one dose (200 mg) before bed last night. Not only did my symptoms (rasping cough while laying down to sleep) not improve, but I felt myself getting dizzy and disoriented and had a hard time sleeping. On top of all that, I called my baby's pediatrician and she says it is not safe for nursing moms to give to their babies, as it is a level 3 drug. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend this for nursing moms at all and frankly its effectiveness does not outweigh its downsides."

Nursing mom IL January 31, 2017