User Reviews for Benzonatate (Page 2)

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 159 reviews 784 medications

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 159 reviews 6.0

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "Have bronchitis after living with a severe cough for 3-4 weeks... went to urgent care because I was unable to get in the same day to my own doctor. I was giving Benzonatate @ 200 mg., 3 times a day. Along with cheratussin ac 10mg at bedtime... It's been over 24 hours and not seeing much improvement. This will be my second night and I am guessing I will have another poor night of sleep. I was hoping for a quicker result. Family members are telling me I sound just awful.. not working for me."

Tripper421 February 20, 2016

For Cough: "I was prescribed this for a lingering cough two years ago, along with antibiotics. It seemed to help a little. I'm taking it again now and it has no effect at all. Tussionex works much better, but I think doctors are hesitant to prescribe it because it has a a narcotic in it."

Nightcougher February 16, 2016

For Cough: "I was diagnosed with bronchitis and was prescribed 100mg dosage. At my pharmacist's suggestion I started off by taking 200mg. This medication had no effect on my cough whatsoever. I think it belongs in the placebo aisle. Robitussin with codeine actually works, but when I asked my doctor for it he substituted this worthless concoction. When I got to the pharmacy they were actually out of this junk and refused to call my physician and offer a substitute. Instead, they called pharmacies around town and sent me to a competitor to get this stuff. It appears the Benzonatate sales force has a lock on both the doctors and pharmacists. I wish I had known how ineffective this stuff is on coughs before I went to the pharmacy."

JimG74 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

For Cough: "Worked well for me. Didn't last the full 8 hours but let me get through work. My cough was so bad I pulled a muscle and was throwing up. Also, it helped me be able to sleep instead of coughing all night. I was prescribed 1-2 capsules every 8 hours. 100mg."

haylery (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

For Cough: "Taking benzonatate 2x 100mg - 3x day on my second day of use and no effect at all, not even confusion or dizziness others have commented on. The doctor didn't even think I was taking it when I went in for a follow up appointment. Also taking levofloxacin 500mg 1x day and magnesium oxide 2 hours after the levofloxacin."

fyrye (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

For Cough: "I had to go to the ER tonight. I had viral respitatory illness. My head was throbbing with pressure from sinus's being stuffed up and my ears and throat burned. I was short of breath and my chest hurt when I would breath and I could stop coughing. They prescribed me this and tussinex. I stopped coughing within 20 mins and I feel So much better. No coughing my my sinus's are drying up and I can breath again ! Miracle drug ! Amazing!"

Anna09847 January 30, 2016

For Cough: "chronic sinusitis, allergies and asthma"

sinucat (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "This is the second bronchitis episide (6 months apart) that I have used Tessalon perles. They are like a miracle that let me stop coughing so severely and also sleep at night! I tried taking just 1 when first prescribed and didn't notice any improvement, so I've found 2 at each dose works miracles for me!"

Barbara RN (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "This stuff caused me not to think clearly and I suffered a lot of side effects but I still coughed. Not what it is supposed to be. Would not wish this stuff on anyone. I am still recovering from just taking it for 3 days."

LadySnow (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2016

For Cough: "Took Robitussin cough syrup - didn't do much. Was sleeping a lot due to pain. Took Tessalon Perles but cough started coming back within 30 mins to an hour. Not helpful at all as far as I can tell. I have very bad cold with non stop cough. Nothing is working. If you need to go to work or if your child needs to go to school, ask about antibiotics because Tessalon didn't do anything for me."

Mary Janes January 6, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "My husband has had the worst cough for over a week, took Tessalon Perles, after 2 doses got his first full nights sleep. No cough."

The sleepless wife (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was prescribed this for cough. My sister is a respiratory therapist of 25 years. She said it's really bad to stop the mucus being coughed up and suppressing the mucus to settle into your lungs. She said a lot of people end up getting pneumonia when they take it for long periods of time."

Vonne1973 January 4, 2016

For Cough: "Prescribed in 200 mg dose, it is the only thing that helps me sleep when I have bronchitis, which is frequently. Can cause dizziness, so take at night or if not driving. And no alcohol."

Scot62 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

For Cough: "Had bad, bad cough for 10 days. Probably spent $50 on Musinex and such (which didn't help). I wasn't sleeping and now getting dizzy. Finally went to doctor and had bronchitis & sinus infection. He gave me this and boy did it help. The first day I took it the cough stopped and it knocked me out. I slept for 12 hours straight. Far as I'm concerned it's a miracle drug."

BagelNosh (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2015

For Cough: "I think it caused confusion when I was taking it. it did not work very well."

Mareellen (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Cough: "Went to medical clinic with this annoying cough Dr. did the flu test..No flu Thank God!!!.she said I had a sinus Infection so she prescribe benzonatate 100mg 3x a day and a antibiotic...Took meds and on 3rd day still no relief..I'm going to pharmacy to buy over tha counter cough meds first thing in morning...ughhh waste of time and money.."

Wheres my relief (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2015

For Cough: "Wonderful med! Severe dry cough that got worse. Had a coughing fit that lasted for 6 hours and scared the life out of me. Kaiser prescribed. Took about an hour for coughing to calm down after taking. First night I coughed quite a bit but on the next 100 mg dose cough got better. Do not be discouraged if it does not work right away. Give it a few doses. I also added a humidifier to my bedroom and my coughs were more productive. That coupled with this medicine and I am happy to report after 4 days I am much better. This medicine is my savior. I was up 5 nights straight coughing before I took this."

Mary M83 December 17, 2015

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "They don't work. Why do they still make it? I wound up back in the ER and a nurse tells me that it never worked for her and she's never heard anyone say it had worked for them."

Lynncleg December 17, 2015

For Cough: "Have a cough that got progressively worse, so bad that one of my coughing fits lasted 6 hours. Cough was terrible at night. Soon as I would start to fall asleep the coughing would come on non-stop. Dry cough, so miserable no sleep for 5 days. Mucinex dm made cough worse, cough syrup did not work. Kaiser prescribed me benzonatate. I got my px at 1:30am, my coughing fit slowed down one hour later. I coughed through out the night but this took the edge off and calmed me down. Dont worry if you do not see results with your first dose. My second 100 mg dose the next morning helped tremendously. I feel like a human being again and I am able to sleep. This saved me!!! Thank you!"

Mary80 December 12, 2015

For Cough: "Like the others, acute bronchitis , coughing and no sleep for days. Prescribe this in 100mg form and it does not work! Physicians are so afraid to give compound cough syrups like back in the day. I'm exhausted & what a waste of $$."

Ink wife December 10, 2015

For Cough: "I've been coughing non stop for 2 weeks now and with no sleep. My doc prescribed this medication 100mg 3x a day. IT. DOES. NOT. WORK."

Sore Throat December 2, 2015

For Cough: "I have been talking this medication for 25 days and I still have no relief from coughing."

yankeedodah November 20, 2015

For Cough: "I have been prescribed this drug - 100mg 3x per day for a dry cough. The doctor has indicated that this ONLY works for a dry cough(no phlem) and so far this has worked for me. Typically I get this type of cough after a bad cold, and there is NOTHING that can stop it without chugging water. The solution is to take this drug as indicated, suck on Cepacol and chug water. The combination of the three work for me."

Dry Cough Master (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2015

For Cough: "I have a bad cough for two months after a cold, postnasal drip make me cough continuously, I feel tired and helpless, until I start taking benzonatate 100mg 3/day, this medication is working well on me, however in my case the postnasal drip is due to allergies, therefore I need to take antihistamines and decongestants in combination with the cough suppressant, otherwise my symptoms won't improve."

Hillman1 November 12, 2015

For Cough: "I've noticed a slight decrease in my cough, but I've gotten these twice and they haven't done much either time."

JCos40 November 5, 2015