User Reviews for Benzonatate (Page 2)

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Cough
4.9

Summary of Benzonatate reviews 4.9 355 reviews

Reviews for Benzonatate

For Cough: "This seems to help my cough, but not stop the coughing. I need more than 3 per day as it does not last 8 hours for me (more like 5 hours). It did help with the coughing but I still feel congestion and post nasal drip. Have been drinking lots of clear fluids (mostly water) as instructed and it helps."

MontclairCRT (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

For Cough: "I was prescribed this medication (100mg) for a terrible cough I have with flu A and it hasn’t helped at all! Took my first pill as soon as I got the prescription, hoping for some relief and didn’t get any. I actually think it made it worse because I had a coughing fit that was so bad I threw up! Just took my second pill hoping to be able to get some sleep tonight, but the horrible coughing fits are still happening. Literally just makes it worse and it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth."

Whateverrrrrrr February 12, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I first was prescribed this in 1988. I was keeping the whole house awake from coughing due to bronchitis. , My mom an RN, said "that's it ! You're going to the doctor and getting Tesslon Perles". There's no words to describe the relief that it gave me, not to mention the rest of my family. I was 18 at the time. 30 years later it still works as well for me as it did when in 1988. I feel, for me, this pill is "magic". Its very unfortunate that some people don't have any relief with this. I guess it's a hit or miss thing. Well I'm scoring home runs still after all these years."

100% satisfied (taken for 10 years or more) February 10, 2018

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "This product may work for some, but I finding no relief. I’m on a week with coughing. Went to the ER and was told this would give me relief. I still coughing and still no relief. Will return to family care and hope for miracle!"

Darlene Johnson (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

For Cough: "Wish they had a zero rating. Influenza A with strep - when I was at the peak of being ill I was praying for some help but in the state of AZ absolutely NO help in the opioid realm (all I would have needed was codeine cough syrup so I could sleep- not allowed). They instead give you these tiny pearls which are absolutely worthless took one at dinner 5:00pm it's now 9:32pm and I'm still coughing and retching and I'm 8 days into the flu. SO my guess, they never do work. What a joke."

k9whspr (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

For Cough: "Horrible cough now for almost 10 days, with no other symptoms. I have tried several OTC meds with no help. So I call the 24-hour nurse hotline went over my symptoms and said was just severe allergies. So they told me drink hot fluids and let it run its course. So I went to the doctor and he looked me over and said I do have clear drainage and it is allergies, so he prescribed me 3 different medications : Benzonatate 150mg, Promethazine-Codeine 10mg and Albuterol. I can tell you the first 2 did not help at all, as a matter of fact I felt like they made my cough worse much less the codeine had no help on allowing me to sleep. The Albuterol literally stopped my coughing immediately! now with that being said you do have to use this stuff with care as it's only to treat severe cases of breathing problems. So my opinion I would not recommend Benzonatate or promethazine codeine as they failed to help at all. However if anybody else has any suggestions please let me know"

Jcracing1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2018

For Cough: "Have had a fever and chest cough for a week, so I went to Urgent Care. Tested negative for the flu so they gave me Benzonatate for the cough. I wish they had explained what it would do. After I took it, I didn't cough for a couple hours, but when I finally did, I thought I was going to pass out as I couldn't clear anything. Haven't taken a second pill and thankfully am back to productive coughs, even if somewhat frequently."

JK77 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I was diagnosed last night with influenza and acute bronchitis. My coughing fits have been TERRIBLE and make me feel like I can't breathe. Once I start coughing, it's a long time and a severe headache before I can stop. The doctor prescribed Tessalon Perles for me, and I had no idea what it would do. This is the first time I have felt relief in many days! I feel it's effect about 30 minutes after taking it....my cough becomes looser, my sinuses and airway become drier (not so full of mucus), and I lose the urge to cough. AND I can sleep! Win."

Ashley N February 1, 2018

For Cough: "Coughing from Flu...prescribed by Dr Tamiflu & this cough medicine it only seems to help during the day . I cough terribly in morning and then again at night. Taking this 3 time’s a day.bbI'm disappointed as I was hoping it would stop this terrible hacking cough "

Jeaniegirl (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

For Cough: "I was also provided this drug by my doctor and found same to have the opposite effect as well. I had a mild cough which has now been aggravated by this drug. Switched to Delsym as others suggested."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Wow. I usually make do with OTC stuff, but cough post-chills phase of a bug I caught was very painful and persistent - Robitussin DM wasn't touching it. Took these and felt better within an hour - and got first good night sleep in days. A bit of a weird 'numby' side effect, but not that bad."

xnappo (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2018

For Cough: "Doesn’t help my cough at all!!! Cough is getting worse, useless med!"

Jeep33 January 25, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The pearls did not help at all. I'm not sure why any Dr would prescribe this medication."

JOSIE And Kate January 23, 2018

For Cough: "This stuff is the best stuff I have ever used. 2nd round with severe bronchitis and haven't been able to sleep in a week. These magic little pills calmed my coughing so I could actually sleep through the night and start to get better. I guess it all depends on the person but I cannot say enough wonderful things about these little miracles!"

DKnGA (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

For Cough: "Does not work. I was diagnosed with the flu type B. Taking this medication made my cough worse."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2018

For Cough: "I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infections two weeks ago and prescribed 100mg Benzonatate. It did nothing. The 2nd week I had to utilize teledoc because my dry cough would not stop, and I could not sleep. He increased the dose to 200 mg. And. Still coughing as bad as without it. Week three, and we are headed back to the doctor tomorrow. Oh. Still. Coughing."

CoughsALot January 21, 2018

For Cough: "IT DID NOT HELP AT ALL!! It made me cough even more . I stopped taking it and make me honey and lemon.. works better then 200 mg of benzonatate."

Lizzylizc January 20, 2018

For Cough: "Did a virtual doctor visit for the first time today after over two weeks of cough/flu/bronchitis symptoms. I cannot stop coughing even with OTC cough syrup. Virtual doc prescribed Benzonatate and it has not stopped the cough at all! I was hoping for a cough syrup with codeine. Looks like I’ll be heading to my regular doc!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

For Cough: "Did not help what so ever. I now feel worse then before. My cough is deeper and now I have lost my voice."

Christian M. January 19, 2018

For Cough: "Was diagnosed with Bronchitis. I have had a horrible dry cough for a week which is what led me to the doctor. Cough is so bad I haven't been able to sleep. I have been prescribed Promethezine with Codeine in the past which worked wonderfully. I was prescribed these pearls this time around and they have not helped in the slightest. I am coughing just as much as before and still cannot sleep."

TJ13 January 16, 2018

For Cough: "I had Sore throat/flu. ER for 4 hrs! Positive for flu B. Prescribed this horrible drug to help my sore throat & to help me breathe better. Avoid this medication!!!!!! It’s 3:30am, I can’t breath well, this no sleep. My sore throat is worse bc I’m forced to breathe out of my mouth, it also is causing me to dry cough which is way worse. I feel soooo much worse then when I went to dr! Avoid! Cannot wait for this to leave my system."

Tia F (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

For Cough: "On Sunday I coughed so much that I threw up twice. Monday the doctor diagnosis Type A flu. Meds Tamiflu and generic benzonatate. Tuesday cough 90% gone. I've had good results with Delsym also, however the number of problematic interactions with other meds is huge.(Google it.) So I am glad that this alternative works for me."

Flulady (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

For Cough: "I went to urgent care for my coughing fits since I am healing from the flu. I asked about medication to stop the coughing during the day and he prescribed this. Literally, all it does it make it harder for me to breathe I definitely still have the coughing fits every ten minutes. It’s currently 3:15 AM and my boyfriend had to go out to get me cough syrup from CVS. Hopefully, that helps because this medicine surely didn’t."

Bribbreezy January 7, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The true Tessalon Pearls work very well, I have not had the same luck with the generic. As a matter of fact, I have had no relief from my cough with the generic. Unfortunately it's all but impossible to get the actual Tessalon Pearls any more unless you have them special ordered and are willing to pay a fortune."

Tiredoftryingtofindanickname January 7, 2018

For Cough: "I'm glad I wasn't the only one. This medication made me cough so much, I took it twice and I was done. My eye sockets hurt and my rib cage was bruised, now I need antibiotics and I've got a fever. I've been to the Dr twice and now I'm embarrassed to go back."

Anonymous January 5, 2018