User Reviews for Benzonatate (Page 2)

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Cough 270 reviews 790 medications

5.2
Summary of Benzonatate reviews 270 reviews 5.2

Reviews for Benzonatate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "The worst choice of medication to treat a cold. I had a cold return after 6/7 wks just to be given the this same medication again. My cough is worse and the headache from the pressure is a nightmare. Constant coughing at night. This is day 3 of the second go round with this cold and I'm not taking it anymore. It does nothing for the sinus drainage and it just makes the cough worse not better. Will not make another apt for a different antibiotic so over the counter here I come!!! This is a waste for a $200 visit."

NIKj April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon (benzonatate) for Cough: "No effect on my cough at all."

Ruby July (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "have been taking benzonatate for about 4 days, with no relief whatsoever from coughing. In fact, I think it has gotten worse since beginning this drug"

Reece12 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I got bronchitis after a bad flu for 10 days, cough was so bad that the doctor at the E.R wanted to make sure it wasn't pneumonia so I did x-ray. Result: Viral bronchitis - but he prescribed me only this benzonatate for the cough (nothing else for the bronchitis) which is not working at all!!! It's been a week since I started the medication and I still can't sleep at night and it already happened twice that I woke up all of a sudden because I couldn't breathe. That was pretty scary!!! Don't know if it's because of the medication but I know for sure that it doesn't work at all for me and I'm not going to take it anymore, also I'm going to see my doctor today."

phom.ab (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Took this and had the worst 4 hours of non stop dry cough, no relief. Finally took robitussin again and stayed with that and Tylenol to get some sleep. Was really hoping for sleep relief when I came back from Dr. But this was not it."

Ha king thru night March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "It just made me cough way more. It was abolutly no help"

Mynicknameisinuse March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This medicine does not work. I used it for a couple days and my cough kept getting worse, I finally just threw the rest of the pills out. It also made me feel like I had trouble breathing. Would definitely try something else before going on this."

kmaustin March 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I've taken 1 capsule 200mg, no cough for hours, slept all night"

Juw March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "I had the flu and was prescribed to take these pills for a bad cough. It seemed like every time I took one my cough got worse. I stopped taking them and went to over the counter cough syrup. Worked much better!"

Molly5989234 March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Did not work - tried it on two occasions. Weak medical practice trying to divert sick patients from getting the narcotic cough medicine which works! Very disappointing!"

Interested in What Works March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I called the on-call doctor to request the prescription cough syrup since I was going on my third night with no sleep. I was told she could only prescribe Benzonatate because the prescription cough syrup has a narcotic in it and due to "new laws", I could not get my much needed cough syrup..I am not a junkie and if I am paying for insurance, then I should get the medication I need!! The capsules did not work at all!!!! I know my doctor is most likely getting an incentive for prescribing the capsules. I drank hot tea with lemon and honey which helped my nagging dry cough and used steam from the hot shower. I am going to see my doctor today to get some REAL medication. The doctors need to start caring about your patients!!!!!!"

StartCaringAboutYourPatients (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I've had a cough for almost a year. Been to many Drs to no avail. Recently one prescribed this medication. It is amazing! Considering I cough almost all day and night it was a godsend. I have only been using it at night and it has pretty much wiped my cough out so I can sleep. I took it during the day today (did not make me drowsy) for the first time because I was having a coughing fit. About 20 min later I had relief. It's so wonderful to finally have something that works."

Michellechelle5 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I have had a terrible cough for over 3 weeks and finally got put on Benzonatate and it didn't work a bit. :( lonzengers worked better!"

Careeee March 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Made cough way worse. Thank god I took my first ones in the daytime so the effect will hopefully be gone by bedtime."

Georginalia March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "Have been prescribed tessalon perles several times for bronchitis and they've never once worked for me. I might as well eat a sugar cube. Sadly cough drops do a better job of suppressing my cough than tessalon perles and that's nothing to brag about. The previous poster who wants the syrup is right, that stuff is the only thing that really works."

Listentomedoc March 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Husband and I prescribed Tessalon Perles. He has bronchitis, I have a lung infection. Prescribed different antibiotics. Neither one of us feel the Perles work one bit. I notice increased saliva, dizziness, and he has a headache and chills since taking. Going back to doctor to complain, need relief. Nyquil works better if you ask me."

HBHollyB February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate) for Cough: "About 14 years ago I had the flu/bronchitis and was prescribed tesslon pearles along with the Z-Pak it worked great. I had coughed so bad it felt like I was going into pulmonary distress it immediately helped but now in the last 2 years I have this nagging cough it seems to come with a real bad sinus infection both years I have been prescribed tesslon and it doesn't even help the coughs keep returning. Last week I have taken 3 pearles a day at 100mg each I am still coughing I have asked for THE SYRUP and was told NO or the docs would look at me like I was JUNKIE trying to get over I don't understand the docs if this stuff isn't working why are they writing the scripts I WANT SOME OF THAT SYRUP LOL that is the only thing that helps"

lia3131 February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I think it has helped, but I'm not sure how much to attribute to these pills vs the new inhaler I got at the same time. One or both have cut down my coughing and helped keep all that yucky, clear mucous out of my nose and mouth. Just started both meds so should know more soon."

Kitty Cat123 February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Works really well for me. I have COPD with frequent bronchitis. This medicine seems to thin the mucus and makes it much easier to get up. Stopped my dry hacking cough"

Smelcherrose February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Doesn't work at all like ever."

Chrisnicole88 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "This medicine does not work. Obviously, the physicians are provided incentives to prescribe this non-effective medicine."

Diamondboi69 February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Does not work at ALL. Don't bother with it!"

anonn ymous February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Save your money and treat your cough.This does not work!!"

Deva3395 February 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "Doesn't help cough at all...threw em away"

Debblu February 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Cough: "I have been taking this for a couple days now and I have been major sweaty and I was running fever. I'm not so much as running fever now but, I'm extremely sweaty all the time. I'm taking this for bronchitis. This is my second time getting bronchitis in one month the medicine I was using the first time didn't work so, I have to try a completely new set plus an inhaler. I can't sleep I took about a 3 hour nap during the day and, it's 3:00am and I can not seem to sleep. My cough hasn't gotten better it's still the same it's mainly the reason I am awake. I'll be fine if I'm siting up but when I lay down I start hacking. Anyways, I'm very sweaty and very awake. "

Rose0425 February 18, 2017