User Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Benzonatate Rating Summary

4.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 535 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate

"The first time I took benzonatate for my cough I woke with a severe headache, cold sweats and vomiting. I didn’t realize it was from the medication so I took it again 5 days later and had chest pain, epigastric pain, nausea, dizziness, and insomnia. I will never take this med again!!!"

Anonymous April 9, 2019

"Benzonatate does not work for my cough. Doctor upped the dosage to 200 mg and still didn't do anything."

Dtj April 3, 2019

"Made my cough WORSE."

Spike (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

"As many others have mentioned, this medication seems to do more harm than good. After taking it, within 20 minutes or so, I am coughing constantly to the point of gagging and throwing up. My son-in-law was also prescribed this and had a terrible rash all over his body and it also made him cough more. Since it is prescribed so frequently, there needs to be more emphasis from practitioners about swallowing with a glass of water and not letting it dissolve in your mouth at all. Otherwise, it can numb your tongue and swallowing mechanism. Hope it works for some people, but not for anyone I've known so far."

ks (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I grew into lung issues. Walking pneumonia, asthma, bronchitis, continual coughing. Someone suggested I ask the doctor for the coughing pearls. I had zero negative side effects. Instead by cough nearly stopped. When I did start to cough again it was because it was time to take another dose. This single gel tab allowed my lungs to rest so I could get restful sleep. Colds go away much faster when I have this to use. Have also suggested them to others who have had the very same positive experience. I am so very grateful for these and have been on them numerous times over many years. Always work very well for me!"

Janet (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2019

"Took the first 4 doses just waiting for a miracle and then sent my husband for some Mucinex. The Benzonatate did nothing for me - I wish I hadn’t wasted the last 48 hours with the same deep, painful cough I started with."

Hacker (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I was given this prescription due to a 3 week long virus, excessive coughing-day and night. It does stop the cough but I was allergic to it. I thought my lip blew up from the spicy chicken wings the night before. I kept taking it. It poisoned my system. I had no idea why my virus was now nauseating my stomach and twice would vomit because of it. The side effects are obviously different on everyone! PLEASE read the labels and Medical staff-PLEASE tell your patients that things can happen and they need to react to EVERY reaction that is NOT normal or feels good. My lip blew up. It looked like botox. I drank all kinds of cold beverages to get the swelling down. I had NO idea the path it would take was to make me sicker."

La (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Bronchitis. I'm also a smoker for almost 30 years. Was hacking due to a mucus in my esphogus/bronchi that I could *not* clear out. My stomach, back, sides, throat and chest were in agony from useless coughing. Urgent care gave me these...along with the steroid and Levaquin I asked for. I had never had nor heard of this medicine. I didn't expect much. Says take three times a day. Well, you know I took one perle and within half an hour later-blessed relief? No coughing. Three hours or so later I started coughing. Had to dose again. Again....after half an hour of hacking--*poof* cough is gone. In my honest opinion this pill is fabulous!! It should be available OTC because everyone should be able to get this relief when needed. I have experienced no side effects from it this far. I have never experienced any cough relief like this. I used to lament the discontinuation of the old Vicks44, because that was the best cough relief I"d ever had. This stuff right here? Superb."

Sore Sides March 25, 2019

"I got this prescribe at urgent care the other day. I took one this morning and the side effects are too much, Been nauseous on and off today. Also didn't help my cough at all! Only took one dose and never taken this stuff ever again!"

detour12 (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

"Benzonatate worked right away for my cough -happy!!"

Mo (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

"Being treated for viral bronchitis. Took a 100 mg perles last night and coughed all night. Tried again tonight and again had several terrible coughing spells. Also a strong false odor sensation. I suspect a hypersensitive reaction!"

Gary (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2019

"My 14 year old has been taking these for 2 days and it seems to be making the cough worse!!!"

Bert (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

"Have tried several times for a cough usually due to bronchitis and has absolutely no effect whatsoever. Also tried every recommended cough product and none of them helped. But doctors refuse to prescribe cough syrup, around here at least, due to the risk of someone abusing it. Ugh, so frustrating. Nobody in my house can sleep "

Mama Bear (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2019

"Coughing from flu virus for over 4 weeks. Coughed so hard I vomited. The first week I got Cheracol * with codeine from my Doc. I was able to sleep and control coughing episodes for the week I used the Cheracol *. 4 weeks later and still coughing until vomiting. Taking Benzonatate, Delsym, sudafed, Tylenol and numbing throat spray. My family wants me to move out due to keeping them up all night COUGHING."

kevinkoski (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I am one of the ones tessalon perles did not help. Zero reaction. Robotussin did. Go figure."

Bob March 5, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I can feel the medicine start to work after about a half an hour. I'm going on my 3rd week with a bronchitis cough and it's the worst. It gets so bad that I can't breathe and my head hurts. I've never had coughing fits like this in my life, so I didn't know if these pearls would work. They make me a little dizzy and tired, but I can tell they work. The relief is amazing. They last about 8hrs. I wouldn't say they take the cough away completely, but there's definitely an improvement."

Kristiann5646 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

"This medication is utterly ineffectual."

PJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

"Was prescribed 200 mg for cough. Took one the first night around 9:00 pm, woke up at 12:30 am drenched in sweat and was having a coughing attack. Next day I went to work and started coughing, so I thought well maybe that was a fluke with the night sweat incident ( I NEVER have night sweats!) So I take another pill, within 30 mins to an hour my right ear feels clogged, and within a short time thereafter the same ear has severe pain and ringing! So I did an internet search, and although these side effects are not listed by the manufacturer, many people complain of night sweats and ear ringing and pain. My mother has taken these pills for years for her cough and she likes them, but not me! I won't ever take one again. I've already got a call into the Dr. to prescribe me something else. I feel worse now after taking this garbage than I did before I even went to the Dr!"

Dymd3z (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2019

"I have had severe coughing fits every few seconds which affects sleep which affects everything. I am diagnosed with the flu and sent home with 100mg tessalon pearls. DOES NOT DO ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!! GIVE ME MY COUGH SYRUP WITH CODEINE ANY DAY OVER THIS NON-EFFECTIVE GARBAGE."

Heath (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2019

"This med did nothing at all except make me nauseous. I was diagnosed with pneumonia, have been taking med for 3 days with no relief what so ever from the coughing. I cough so hard I have dislocated a rib! I have excruciating pain from the coughing in my chest, abdomen, and back. It took 3 days before I was able to cough anything up and it all contained blood! Laying down makes it worse, the longest I sleep is 2 hrs at a time. I am so tired and worn out. I realize that docs are concerned about addiction, but when someone is really sick prescribing a Med that actually works is needed. They just have to use good judgement with the quantity prescribed."

Cgiff (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2019

"Caused an Emergency Room visit for me. Be careful with taking this drug if it is for the first time. Every body is different and may react differently. I had a horrible allergic reaction to Benzonatate (Brand Name tessalon Perles). I swallowed the pill with a full glass of liquid (per instructions). After about an hour, my throat became tingly and that feeling went up my face to my eyebrows. Then I was eating and food went down the wrong pipe...when you read the instructions- it says that this medication relaxed the throat area, so I started coughing. I wound up choking and was able to get my food out, but my tongue started to swell. I felt like my throat was closing up and it was hard to breathe. I got to the Emergency Room immediately and they gave me medicine to stop the allergic reaction. I am 50 and have never been allergic to any other medication.. If you do decide to take this, please make sure someone else is around, in case you have this reaction too."

M February 20, 2019

"Takes a bit of time to work but then wears out on me after around 4 hours which is only half the expected time. Internet says you can take 200 x 3 times, I might up my dosage then. Max dose if 600, not sure why if it wears out after 4 hours, I can’t take again."

Paream (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2019

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I can relate to the reviews "I kept the house awake all night ... couldn't finish a sentence." This medicine didn't seem to work for me either...for the first 4-5 days, then a tiny improvement each day. The coughs were completely unproductive until day 10 or 12. (productive = phlegm) Improvement was slight but still noticeable each day. Today is day 21 and I still cough a bit , lots of phlegm. I run out of medicine tomorrow and have notified the doc that I'm still coughing a bit (nothing like the cafeteria-clearing jags that had people fleeing for their health... "He might be contagious!" I wish the doc had warned me that it might not seem to work for a while."

Harpo (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2019

"I've taken this medicine every time I have a cough and it works the trick. My doctor prescribe it to me each time, it works good on me."

June February 10, 2019

"I share the same feedback as most of those who used this medication. I have been on it for 4 days and it has done nothing to relieve my cough."

Mona February 7, 2019