User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Benzonatate Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 683 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I have had the Tessalon Perle prescribed for me twice now in the past 6 mos. Neither time has it worked for my cough. I have COPD, and get bronchitis at least twice a year. This by itself will NOT treat bronchitis, you need a antibiotic. In past I've had a Dr at Urgent Care prescribe a cough syrup with codeine in it because my cough (especially at night when laying down) was so bad I wasn't sleeping, and abdominal muscles ached from coughing so much. That was a God send, and is usually the only thing that helps with this type of cough. I have told my Dr to not waste time calling in script for the Perle anymore. It's a waste of money."

JoyfulNotSoJoyful (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon (benzonatate): "The first assist practitioner ordered this med because of my asthmatic bronchitis. I took it and it gave me the worst headache I ever had. It was also too expensive and my insurance would not cover it. Also, it is made with animal products (contains gelatin) and my religion does not allow it. So I may end up in hell."

asthmatic girl May 8, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So disappointed!!! I truly feel this did not work as well as the OTC med I was taking and at least the nighttime version had a sleep aid. Coughed for 3 solid hrs when I went to bed till my body just seemed to give up. Tonight I will just take my nighttime OTC product. Highly disappointed!!"

Sickandmiserablemom May 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had this severe cough for 3-4 weeks now, doctor said I have bronchitis requested that I use these pills they do not work. I coughed so much that my heart was hurting as well as my lower right back, as well as my head. These pills do not work at all Doctor in the emergency says "It's hard to control a cough" I said so what do I Do? His only response: just have to wait it out. I can't work and cough like this as I work in a restaurant."

Poisonivy65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Not effective at all for me - I know it works for some, but not me"

BlusueNP May 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love thus stuff if you have a cough this stuff is like gold. I don't know why others say it doesn't work. It does on my family."

Tiggertale45 May 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I get bronchitis periodically and was prescribed the pearls, but was disappointed that my cough was barely calmed, if at all. I gave it a 2 because, maybe, just maybe they helped a little, but I failed to notice."

D_MA May 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine is garbage. Does not work! Can't stop coughing total waste of money . Robitussin works better!"

L1965 May 1, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This little gel has become my go to for when I have bronchial spasms. I was so pleased that I have asked my general practioner for an ongoing prescription. I have found that I use less albuterol and can halt those embarrassing coughing attacks associated with asthma."

Turbo2010 May 1, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This did nothing, and I mean nothing, for my cough. It was a total waste of money and time."

DKFJG April 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I would give it NEGATIVE 10 if possible. Tired, sleepy, ribs are hurting and I'm still coughing. Garbage."

ineffective garbage (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Three days of this drug--Benzoenatate--I suffered SEVERE hallucinations over the course of several days. I stopped the drug but the hallucinations continued; I stopped all medications and my heart started to race and go into a-fib. I ended up in the hospital where the hallucinations continued. Only after 8 days did they go away; only after 5 days off the drug entirely did I get some relief. It did help my cough but at what cost to me, my family, my mental health and my grasp of reality? Not worth it!!"

Geoguy (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff is rubbish. Just wanted to sleep. Tired of caughing..just tired. It did not help AT ALL. I know there is a problem with people abusing cough syrup. I get it. Now sick and TIRED from not sleeping...which makes being sick worse, and last longer."

BT45 April 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a persistent cough for 5+ days - traveling, allergies, etc. No fever, so antibiotics would have been useless. Doctor prescribed 100mg pearls to take during the day and the syrup with codeine for the night. These worked amazingly. A couple of coughs here and there, but they really eliminated the urge to cough (something my usual mix of Delsym and Mucinex wasn't touching). One 100mg pill did not make me drowsy at all, and I had no other side effects."

historymystery April 13, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did absolutely nothing at all....."

Jen Moura April 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"works great to reduce phlegm. I have COPD."

Harpman1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a real bad cough. Coughing so bad had a raw throat and pain in stomach. The pills the doctor prescribed for me was 100mg. l honesty felt better after taking the 3rd pill. So maybe it don't work for everyone but it sure is working for me. So give it a chance and don't expect it to work well if you are a heavy smoker."

Pizza man April 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been sick for 3 weeks and a doctor at an Emergency Med place prescribed this for my nagging cough. In the past when I've been sick with something like this I was prescribed a narcotic cough medicine which helped me get the sleep I need. I was hesitant to take a pill and came on this site. My own intuition was telling me NOT to take the pills. All of these negative reviews have helped me confirm what I already felt inside!"

PBart April 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "The worst choice of medication to treat a cold. I had a cold return after 6/7 wks just to be given the this same medication again. My cough is worse and the headache from the pressure is a nightmare. Constant coughing at night. This is day 3 of the second go round with this cold and I'm not taking it anymore. It does nothing for the sinus drainage and it just makes the cough worse not better. Will not make another apt for a different antibiotic so over the counter here I come!!! This is a waste for a $200 visit."

NIKj April 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon (benzonatate): "No effect on my cough at all."

Ruby July (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"have been taking benzonatate for about 4 days, with no relief whatsoever from coughing. In fact, I think it has gotten worse since beginning this drug"

Reece12 (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got bronchitis after a bad flu for 10 days, cough was so bad that the doctor at the E.R wanted to make sure it wasn't pneumonia so I did x-ray. Result: Viral bronchitis - but he prescribed me only this benzonatate for the cough (nothing else for the bronchitis) which is not working at all!!! It's been a week since I started the medication and I still can't sleep at night and it already happened twice that I woke up all of a sudden because I couldn't breathe. That was pretty scary!!! Don't know if it's because of the medication but I know for sure that it doesn't work at all for me and I'm not going to take it anymore, also I'm going to see my doctor today."

phom.ab (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Took this and had the worst 4 hours of non stop dry cough, no relief. Finally took robitussin again and stayed with that and Tylenol to get some sleep. Was really hoping for sleep relief when I came back from Dr. But this was not it."

Ha king thru night March 29, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It just made me cough way more. It was abolutly no help"

Mynicknameisinuse March 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine does not work. I used it for a couple days and my cough kept getting worse, I finally just threw the rest of the pills out. It also made me feel like I had trouble breathing. Would definitely try something else before going on this."

kmaustin March 26, 2017