User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Benzonatate Rating Summary

5.0/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 571 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

"Was prescribed this medicine for a prolonged cough due to recurrent bronchitis. I had never taken this medicine before, but had an allergic reaction to it that woke me up from a dead sleep. My throat constricted and swelled and I was gasping for air and could not breathe. Once I was finally able to breathe, I coughed up a ton of mucus and still had smaller throat spasms the rest of the night. I did not take it again."

Shell (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"This medication did not provide any relief for me."

SkG March 28, 2018

"Horrible experience with this medication. I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection & was prescribed with amoxicillin. Within an hour of taking the medicine, it makes me extremely nauseous & I've thrown up at least 2 times from it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

"Doctor gave to me for my cough and after a week of use, it did nothing for the cough."

RJ (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

"They didn't work well for me. I took only at night and still coughing .I would rather do regular over the counter cough meds ."

CC (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2018

"I have been prescribed the benzonate pearls before and they helped. That was for an upper respiratory infection. But this time I had strep throat and then a week later started with this terrible cough, for me I have to say this time it hasn’t really helped at all. Only makes my throat very dry and makes me cough to the point I feel like I am drowning in my own mucus. I’m also using abuteral inhaler every 6 hrs as needed and it’s needed. Why don’t they prescribe the purple cough medicine anymore. Had this cough for a week been on medicine 4 days I am over it. I’m ready to change doctors"

JenMO (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Have been given these for a horrid cough. They don’t really do much except make me sleepy. The cough is still there. Makes me miss being in Australia where I could get codeine cough syrup over the counter if I needed it."

Ellie (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2018

"Ok so yeah this last Saturday I woke up with a sore throat, Sunday it turns into a bad cough ( almost like bronchitis sounding ) and Monday I woke up with a headache. I went to dialysis on Monday and luckily my doctor was there. He listened to my lungs and said they sounded "chunky" he prescribed these pills to me. Plus the antibiotic Doxycycline monohydrate. The Benzonatate pearl I took one earlier in the evening and then my second dose when I was going to bed. Still have that Damn cough! After I finish this prescription I'm not taking it anymore."

Ummmok (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"Did not work at all for me. It did not make the cough worse, but it, certainly, did not lessen it either."

MBeachmom (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

"This pill has helped me considerably. I just took a pill about an hour ago and controlled my cough for now. Well see what happens."

Jurgy2000 (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

"THIS PILL SUCKS!!!!!!!!! I was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection and prescribed these pills for my cough... 3 pills and almost 12 hrs later COUGH still remains!!! I’ve drank some honey and lemon mixed with hot water (like a tea) and found some relief... I’m not saying it doesn’t work... just didn’t work for me."

Tired of coughing February 26, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Best pill ever. Always takes my cough away"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 18, 2018

"Have had a persistent cough for almost 2 months since I recovered from the flu and now have the flu again. Dr. Prescribed these little pills for cough. Took 4 doses, no real coughing during the day but that 2nd night all I did was cough! Developed tight scratchy feeling at the base of my throat that would force me to cough. Kept me up half the night! I'm not taking anymore. Would much rather suffer through my regular cough than this wet, scratchy one..."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

"This seems to help my cough, but not stop the coughing. I need more than 3 per day as it does not last 8 hours for me (more like 5 hours). It did help with the coughing but I still feel congestion and post nasal drip. Have been drinking lots of clear fluids (mostly water) as instructed and it helps."

MontclairCRT (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2018

"I was prescribed this medication (100mg) for a terrible cough I have with flu A and it hasn’t helped at all! Took my first pill as soon as I got the prescription, hoping for some relief and didn’t get any. I actually think it made it worse because I had a coughing fit that was so bad I threw up! Just took my second pill hoping to be able to get some sleep tonight, but the horrible coughing fits are still happening. Literally just makes it worse and it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth."

Whateverrrrrrr February 12, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I first was prescribed this in 1988. I was keeping the whole house awake from coughing due to bronchitis. , My mom an RN, said "that's it ! You're going to the doctor and getting Tesslon Perles". There's no words to describe the relief that it gave me, not to mention the rest of my family. I was 18 at the time. 30 years later it still works as well for me as it did when in 1988. I feel, for me, this pill is "magic". Its very unfortunate that some people don't have any relief with this. I guess it's a hit or miss thing. Well I'm scoring home runs still after all these years."

100% satisfied (taken for 10 years or more) February 10, 2018

Tessalon (benzonatate): "This product may work for some, but I finding no relief. I’m on a week with coughing. Went to the ER and was told this would give me relief. I still coughing and still no relief. Will return to family care and hope for miracle!"

Darlene Johnson (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2018

"Wish they had a zero rating. Influenza A with strep - when I was at the peak of being ill I was praying for some help but in the state of AZ absolutely NO help in the opioid realm (all I would have needed was codeine cough syrup so I could sleep- not allowed). They instead give you these tiny pearls which are absolutely worthless took one at dinner 5:00pm it's now 9:32pm and I'm still coughing and retching and I'm 8 days into the flu. SO my guess, they never do work. What a joke."

k9whspr (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018

"Horrible cough now for almost 10 days, with no other symptoms. I have tried several OTC meds with no help. So I call the 24-hour nurse hotline went over my symptoms and said was just severe allergies. So they told me drink hot fluids and let it run its course. So I went to the doctor and he looked me over and said I do have clear drainage and it is allergies, so he prescribed me 3 different medications : Benzonatate 150mg, Promethazine-Codeine 10mg and Albuterol. I can tell you the first 2 did not help at all, as a matter of fact I felt like they made my cough worse much less the codeine had no help on allowing me to sleep. The Albuterol literally stopped my coughing immediately! now with that being said you do have to use this stuff with care as it's only to treat severe cases of breathing problems. So my opinion I would not recommend Benzonatate or promethazine codeine as they failed to help at all. However if anybody else has any suggestions please let me know"

Jcracing1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2018

"Have had a fever and chest cough for a week, so I went to Urgent Care. Tested negative for the flu so they gave me Benzonatate for the cough. I wish they had explained what it would do. After I took it, I didn't cough for a couple hours, but when I finally did, I thought I was going to pass out as I couldn't clear anything. Haven't taken a second pill and thankfully am back to productive coughs, even if somewhat frequently."

JK77 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I was diagnosed last night with influenza and acute bronchitis. My coughing fits have been TERRIBLE and make me feel like I can't breathe. Once I start coughing, it's a long time and a severe headache before I can stop. The doctor prescribed Tessalon Perles for me, and I had no idea what it would do. This is the first time I have felt relief in many days! I feel it's effect about 30 minutes after taking it....my cough becomes looser, my sinuses and airway become drier (not so full of mucus), and I lose the urge to cough. AND I can sleep! Win."

Ashley N February 1, 2018

"Coughing from Flu...prescribed by Dr Tamiflu & this cough medicine it only seems to help during the day . I cough terribly in morning and then again at night. Taking this 3 time’s a day.bbI'm disappointed as I was hoping it would stop this terrible hacking cough "

Jeaniegirl (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2018

"I was also provided this drug by my doctor and found same to have the opposite effect as well. I had a mild cough which has now been aggravated by this drug. Switched to Delsym as others suggested."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Wow. I usually make do with OTC stuff, but cough post-chills phase of a bug I caught was very painful and persistent - Robitussin DM wasn't touching it. Took these and felt better within an hour - and got first good night sleep in days. A bit of a weird 'numby' side effect, but not that bad."

xnappo (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2018

"Doesn’t help my cough at all!!! Cough is getting worse, useless med!"

Jeep33 January 25, 2018