User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Benzonatate.

Benzonatate Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 577 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

"Was diagnosed with Bronchitis. I have had a horrible dry cough for a week which is what led me to the doctor. Cough is so bad I haven't been able to sleep. I have been prescribed Promethezine with Codeine in the past which worked wonderfully. I was prescribed these pearls this time around and they have not helped in the slightest. I am coughing just as much as before and still cannot sleep."

TJ13 January 16, 2018

"I had Sore throat/flu. ER for 4 hrs! Positive for flu B. Prescribed this horrible drug to help my sore throat & to help me breathe better. Avoid this medication!!!!!! It’s 3:30am, I can’t breath well, this no sleep. My sore throat is worse bc I’m forced to breathe out of my mouth, it also is causing me to dry cough which is way worse. I feel soooo much worse then when I went to dr! Avoid! Cannot wait for this to leave my system."

Tia F (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2018

"On Sunday I coughed so much that I threw up twice. Monday the doctor diagnosis Type A flu. Meds Tamiflu and generic benzonatate. Tuesday cough 90% gone. I've had good results with Delsym also, however the number of problematic interactions with other meds is huge.(Google it.) So I am glad that this alternative works for me."

Flulady (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"I went to urgent care for my coughing fits since I am healing from the flu. I asked about medication to stop the coughing during the day and he prescribed this. Literally, all it does it make it harder for me to breathe I definitely still have the coughing fits every ten minutes. It’s currently 3:15 AM and my boyfriend had to go out to get me cough syrup from CVS. Hopefully, that helps because this medicine surely didn’t."

Bribbreezy January 7, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "The true Tessalon Pearls work very well, I have not had the same luck with the generic. As a matter of fact, I have had no relief from my cough with the generic. Unfortunately it's all but impossible to get the actual Tessalon Pearls any more unless you have them special ordered and are willing to pay a fortune."

Tiredoftryingtofindanickname January 7, 2018

"I'm glad I wasn't the only one. This medication made me cough so much, I took it twice and I was done. My eye sockets hurt and my rib cage was bruised, now I need antibiotics and I've got a fever. I've been to the Dr twice and now I'm embarrassed to go back."

Anonymous January 5, 2018

"Has done absolutely nothing to help with my cough."

Plant lady January 3, 2018

"Have been coughing up large amounts of phlegm due to bronchitis. Went to urgent Care and was prescribed benzonatate and Albuterol. Now I can't sleep and can barely breathe. I now have an unproductive cough and a very tight chest and wheezing. I felt better before going to the doctor."

Rloeschjr (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2018

"When this works, it works like a charm. Sometimes it works for me, and sometimes it does nothing. I take it sparingly, though, because one time I did take it 3 times a day for several days and ended up with a rash."

janewendy January 1, 2018

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I first used Tessalon Perles early in 2017 when I had a "cold" with a cough that would not go away. After 2 rounds of antibiotics (for secondary infections) and 2 bottles of tussinex my doctor prescribed Tessalon Perles. I did not expect them to do much for me. WRONG. I had almost instantaneous relief. I have since had a second URI with the 2 rounds of antibiotics, etc. And now I have a chronic cough. It wakes me up, keeps me from singing in church, etc, etc. Having a new Rx for the Tessalon Perles has made all the difference in my quality of life."

MammaK1947 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Calmed and loosened my cough, and quickly."

Pam32 (taken for less than 1 month) December 28, 2017

"I had a two month long cough that evolved into bronchitis and intercostalitis. It was too painful to breathe and I couldn’t talk. My PCP prescribed The Pearls and sent me home with an elastic wrap to wrap around my rib cage. My cough subsided within a day and was completely over within three. The medicine reduces the reflex in the lungs that causes the urge to cough, not cure. The second time I came down with a bronchial infection, I was prescribed the Benzonatate and the result seemed less dramatic, I lost my faith but I did get over my cough. Now, my third time, a month long cold and a week long flu, I’ve been prescribed this again and the results have been great. My cough is essentially gone although there is still a tickle in my thro"

LivingWithInterest (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Did not seem to help my cough at all."

Newee (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "It seems like tessalon perles either work great for people or not at all. They are amazing for me. I get bronchitis every year and they are the only thing that I can take to stop coughing at night. A++"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I have been prescribed this medication on two separate occasions, and they’ve been absolutely useless both times. Won’t accept these again."

Chimera77 December 22, 2017

"I swear this medicine actually makes me cough more. At best, it does absolutely nothing for me. Very disappointed. I’ll never get this again."

sandi_c December 16, 2017

"These pills only make you sleepy it slows the cough but doesn't help. It only helps if I take my doctor prescribed albuterol pump. My throat feels as if it is closing but still a persistent cough and sore throat. I'm taking some of the people from previous comments advice and pick up some OTC meds. I feel like a guinea pig!!! Uggghhhh!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2017

"This medicine made me unable to BREATHE!!! I went to urgent Care to appease my boyfriend. He hounded me about taking the meds they prescribed even though I felt the intuitive urge not to... As soon as I took one, about 30 minutes later came a cough episode from hell, with my throat closing up. Thought maybe it was cold air. Took another one. Same thing. This time chest tightness and burning. I went to another urgent care where they gave me a breathing treatment and a z pack for suspected bacterial bronchitis. I came home and told my man I think it was a side effect of the meds. He said let me take one, I've been coughing a little let's see if it works for me. 30 minutes later he had a migraine from hell and a fever. DON'T TAKE THIS TRASH!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

"I was prescribed this when I had an UNPRODUCTIVE cough. I thought I had bronchitis because my cough was so unrelentless. I was shocked to be diagnosed with a simple upper respiratory infection "

24Shellz (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 10, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "With my rare lung disorder, the Tessalon Perles work really well to help control my cough when it flares up. They work really well as I need them and take them consistently until the flareup passes!!"

TracyBee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 7, 2017

"This medicine was given to me in ER, the problem I personally had was this is used to relieve coughing, I have upper respiratory infection and after 2 days on this I couldn't cough up anything. So I stopped taking and this am I'm coughing crud up,. Plus this medicine made me so sleepy"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

"I have coughed as though I have not taken anything to help me. I am up all day & all night coughing. I have struggled to find rest, & you don't heal by coughing without rest. This was a waste of my time & money to go to the Dr. My husband went out to buy me something at the drug store."

Megga December 3, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Still coughing after taking Tessalon Perles for 2 days. They've done absolutely nothing to help with my cough. I'm going back to OTC Robitussin. Pharm tech said most insurances do not cover this medication. Mine was no exception. It's a lot of $ for a product that doesn't work."

Coffee504 December 2, 2017

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "They do not work. Days later I am way worse then I was. They do nothing to the cough. This drug is a joke. Do not take!"

Han S November 30, 2017

"worked well for me last year.... I only took twice a day even though prescribed 3 times..."

Rosie oooo (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2017