User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Benzonatate Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 688 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

"Doesn't help cough at all...threw em away"

Debblu February 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I have been taking this for a couple days now and I have been major sweaty and I was running fever. I'm not so much as running fever now but, I'm extremely sweaty all the time. I'm taking this for bronchitis. This is my second time getting bronchitis in one month the medicine I was using the first time didn't work so, I have to try a completely new set plus an inhaler. I can't sleep I took about a 3 hour nap during the day and, it's 3:00am and I can not seem to sleep. My cough hasn't gotten better it's still the same it's mainly the reason I am awake. I'll be fine if I'm siting up but when I lay down I start hacking. Anyways, I'm very sweaty and very awake. "

Rose0425 February 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "My doctor said the pearls did not work for her but other people said they work great. I tried them and in 20 min my cough was gone!! I see they don't work for everyone but they worked for me!"

Ck2468 February 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was prescribed benzonatate today for the third time in the last few years. I have a wicked sinus infection and hacking cough. Every time I have been prescribed benzonatate, I have had a good attitude, "Maybe this time it will work." Every time I have used it, I have felt like I was given a placebo by mistake. No side effects at all, but it has never worked for me. Not working today either. Still hacking."

Melmopink February 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Doesn't work and causes foul smelling gas and stools."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"benzonatate medicine is useless for suppressing cough while you sleep. It makes your cough worse. I don't understand why most doctors like to prescribe Benzonatate to their patients. It is a killer and wasted . I agree most people's comment."

Bazoo February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was prescribed this medication for a post nasal drip I've had for several weeks. I hate it. It only lasts 2-3 hrs the first couple times you take it, then it only lasts maybe an hour, now I'm up coughing worse than before, googling if I can take more than prescribed. Do not do that. I have 200 mg 3 x as needed. I have a terrible headache and my ribs are killing me. On top of that I pee a little every time I cough which is just wonderful seeing I have to work tomorrow. I'm discontinuing and calling my doc first thing in the morning."

Meoryck (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Dr prescribed this to stop the coughing so I could get some sleep. Doesn't work. Coughing actually seems worse, if that's even possible."

Mel 21 (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Tried taking one dose (200 mg) before bed last night. Not only did my symptoms (rasping cough while laying down to sleep) not improve, but I felt myself getting dizzy and disoriented and had a hard time sleeping. On top of all that, I called my baby's pediatrician and she says it is not safe for nursing moms to give to their babies, as it is a level 3 drug. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend this for nursing moms at all and frankly its effectiveness does not outweigh its downsides."

Nursing mom IL January 31, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Hello Not wanting to just believe everything you read and wanting to trust my medical team. I tried one pearl today. I need something to quite a dry cough that won't end. Otherwise my vitals are good - no fever - no mucus - no strep. Within an hour of taking one pearl - i just feel weird. Head is buzzing. I would not be comfortable in a group setting. It may help my cough but I feel stoned. Why can't we have open discussions with MDs about using lows dose codeine without feeling we are drug addicts. I have some 5mg hydro + 325 Acetaminophen that create none of what I am feeling now. However;I do not have the cough though so it does work. Conclusion: Not a fan. It appears to work. I do not prefer this solution."

bones58gdi (taken for less than 1 month) January 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I feel like I cough even more after taking this. It is not effective at all."

Kpinn (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"This is the second time I've tried these for that awful cough I get with a common cold. These do nothing to help suppress it. Both times I've been prescribed it, I've ended up going back to the doctors for further help. This medication does nothing to help my cough at all. Wish it did..."

NellyKW January 23, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I saw no difference in my cough using these pills. It was still horrible and kept me up at night and lasted several days"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Totally useless drug. Took 100 mg/3 times a day for 5 days Some relief from hacking cough for a few hours but cough returned much worse. Will see my MD tomorrow for another medication. Total waste of time with this medication."

jimG10026 (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Doesn't seem to last as long as the codeine, but the syrup was making me gag. Besides drowsiness, I don't seem to have any side effects."

Coughcough (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I've had bronchitis for two weeks and the tessalon pearles have not worked for me. What has worked, to sleep at night, is taking 2 Benadryl liquigels at bedtime. During the day I drink a lot of water, suck on ricola extra strength cough drops, and I have an albuterol inhaler."

Don't Work (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I got checked by the Urgent clinic today who were very helpful. Upon being diagnosed with Bronchitis I was prescribed the 100mg Tessalon. I SPECIFICALLY asked the doctor if this would make me drowsy, because I am a teacher and have to return to work ASAP. Nope, he assured. Well, not only did I spend the rest of the evening hiding from lights and sounds due to an explosive headache (which ached every time I coughed) but my temp went up and I am now extremely exhausted. What is the deal with this stuff?? I haven't stopped coughing and feel ten times worse."

Coughity cough January 18, 2017

"Don't waste your time."

JerryGard January 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia and maybe Bronchitis. After 3 weeks of feeling really bad, with all flu symptoms. Coughing, sore throat and feeling crummy, I finally went to the Dr. She prescribed Benzonatate 100mg 3x a day as needed. Plus Amoxcillan. Took 3 doses yesterday of the Benzonatate 2 today before deciding that it was making me worse. After reading reviews, I see that I'm not the only one experiencing theses side effects. I feel like I'm coughing up a Lung, (I'm sure my neighbors hate me) fever, night sweats, headache so bad feels like my head will explode. Depressed...decided not to take anymore and still have side effects day 3. Calling Dr. In the morning. Correction in a few hours. It's 5:30 a.m. no sleep. Do not recommend."

Kay1423 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "They work!"

Momma knows what works baby January 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Have had this cough since middle of Dec. My cough is so bad it took a couple doses to see good results, but if I didn't take these at bedtime I wouldn't sleep at all. Have had to sit up to sleep. Can now lay down and sleep all night."

Nancy L. C-M January 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"I was prescribed benzonatate for an upper respiratory infection. I've had a horrible tickle in my throat at night and can't sleep. It has helped my cough but I've noticed it wears off after about 3 hours. Only side effect I've had is mild headache."

hnc January 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Did not experience much relief of cough but found myself running to the bathroom multiple times at night. Will probably discontinue, had I tried before work, this could have been a nightmare!"

Jk01123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "A sudden fit of nonstop coughing landed me at doctor's office. Nothing over the counter helped. I felt like my ribs were cracked and pain was awful. My Dr prescribed Tessalon Perles 100 MG. No more cough and no side effects. I am back to normal. "

Cracked ribs (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No

"Been on it 2 days, does 0 for me. Cough is still horrible! Don't waste your money."

Del822 (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016