User Reviews for Benzonatate

Also known as: Tessalon, Tessalon Perles, Zonatuss

Learn more about Benzonatate.

Benzonatate Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 697 medications used in the treatment of Cough.

Reviews for Benzonatate to treat Cough

"Only rx that actually worked for coughing. Finally able to get some sleep without that sinus irritation in throat making me cough and cough."

Squrriel July 15, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "I've had asthma since I was a baby. all colds since I was a baby have ended up turning into bronchitis or pneumonia. I am 29 now and asthma only flares up once or Twice a year from a bad cold. The ONLY thing that has ever helped my cough was codeine cough syrup... It's a miracle drug. (Aside from inhalers but that never stops the cough) However after 2 weeks of horrible bronchitis with coughing fits so bad I am dry heaving, I went back to the doc and told him I needed something that didn't make me drowsy so I could actually function during the day without coughing. He gave tessalon perles. I just took one dose 100mg an hour ago and my coughing has virtually stopped even laying down. THANK GOODNESS FOR A NON-NARCOTIC MED THAT WORKS!"

Simi Truzman (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Upper respiratory infection sent me to an urgent care center, where 100mg of Tessalon Perles was prescribed. This lowest dosage relaxed the lung muscles so I didn't suffer from the coughing spasms and while I still had to sleep sitting up I was more comfortable. Prescription was for 3xday but I only took it twice daily. Follow-up visit to my primary care doctor resulted in a prescription for 200mg twice daily and that dosage was too much for me. I had a scary episode resembling a heart attack and stopped the medication immediately. Heart pounding, chest muscles tightened front and back, profuse sweating, dizziness, one episode of vomiting. I consumed large quantities of water to flush the drug out of my system and will never take it again."

LonestarBabs (taken for less than 1 month) June 21, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Started taking this after 3 weeks of coughing so intense that I would gag and gasp and have to run to the restroom to pee. Horrible. This was the only thing that lessened the coughing, but my doctor insisted I take it with a decongestant. I still cough, but it has been fewer and less intense."

Engteacher (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "The first prescription I've ever had for a cough that actually works."

rmherring (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"Cough drops control my cough better...this drug largely ineffective."

Rev The Man (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I gave this a 3 because I did get a lil more sleep but I still have a hacking wet cough I have bronchitis and a URI I've had no side effects on the 100mg I take"

Cattt May 30, 2016

"My mother in law who is 90 started taking benzonatate (tellson perles) on a Thursday.It took about 3 days to fully work.She sounds much better and,was able to sleep last night without hacking.she was dx with bronchitis."

Annie1025 May 22, 2016

"side effects for me were same as few others with negative result... after taking 200mg. I felt like I was hallucinating; going crazy . Sinus areas inflamed quickly with headache. I must be allergic to his drug."

Halucinating (taken for less than 1 month) May 18, 2016

Tessalon (benzonatate): "This cough suppressant really helped with my chronic cough."

proudmomof1 May 10, 2016

Tessalon (benzonatate): "After being unable to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time for three nights in a row even with my head elevated on several pillows, the doctor gave me this. My nonstop dry cough stopped for up to 5 hours, and then it came back, but less severe. It doesn't last 8 hours, but it allowed me to get some much needed sleep. Sucking sugar free cherry Luden's cough drop, and/or swallowing a teaspoon of honey without water help also. Also take Mucinex to thin secretions."

Tired of coughing May 1, 2016

"Prescribed for dry bronchitis cough that did not clear on its own and was keeping me up at night when OTC syrups weren't cutting it. The 100mg capsules worked nearly immediately for me, though didn't last the full 8 hours."

Brian the TV guy (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

Tessalon Perles (benzonatate): "Just started using tessalon perles while having a horrible cough from bronchitis. Very shortly after taking first dose I am hardly coughing at all! That's awesome as last night I was coughing so much I woke up with no voice! Not having any side effects from it as others have reported. Love it!!"

Befought April 4, 2016

"Terrible side effects after taking 200mg. I felt like I was hallucinating; going crazy feeling. Sinus areas inflamed almost immediately with headache. I'll never take this again."

Fbr March 31, 2016

"I've had coughs that would last almost whole winter n taken very expensive cough meds funny how now I have the flu and this benzsonate pills are the only thing that has worked"

Mikey c g (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

"This medicine doesn't work at all. It should be discontinued. Clinic prescribed it to me because they aren't allow to prescribe medicine that actually works, like codeine cough syrup. Now I'm heading into my 2nd night hacking and coughing with no relief in sight."

Chickachicka March 21, 2016

"Have had this stupid cough for 2 weeks now, taking this medicine for 3 days now & has not done anything, no change whatsoever...I'm so frustrated, I don't know what to do! :("

LindaYB (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2016

"Well, I guess it took away my cough but it was just a cough. It did way more than than just a cough. I stopped taking the medication 2 days ago now I'm really mentally confused and having so much hallucinations. I know it might say that side effect online but it didn't on the bottle. She didn't even tell us what she was gonna give us. She just put the medications and walked out for 30 minutes and left us in there then came back and left. After the first day of taking them I started to get depressed. To the point that I won't even eat. I lost a lot of weight and I started to have horrible hallucinations. It kept me up all night crying scared because I didn't know what the hell was going on. Hate that she gave this at a kids Doctor."

Kaileyav February 27, 2016

"I developed dry cough for 6 days after having a sore throat. Not being able to sleep at all for almost a week, I finally went to see a doctor. He prescribed 10mg Clarintin and claimed I have post nasal drip, I was skeptical since I didn't have nose issue but took it since I don't want to doubt his professionalism, true enough I was still coughing the following 2 days which made me even more cranky due to the lacked of sleep. Thanks to everyone on this site, I found hope and call the doctor back to ask him for Benzonatate 200mg. After taking for 2 days and three times a day, I was finally sleeping! Remember that this drug works best for dry cough like one of the reviewer said and wet cough might not see result as quickly or as effectively!"

Hipster Cat February 21, 2016

"Have bronchitis after living with a severe cough for 3-4 weeks... went to urgent care because I was unable to get in the same day to my own doctor. I was giving Benzonatate @ 200 mg., 3 times a day. Along with cheratussin ac 10mg at bedtime... It's been over 24 hours and not seeing much improvement. This will be my second night and I am guessing I will have another poor night of sleep. I was hoping for a quicker result. Family members are telling me I sound just awful.. not working for me."

Tripper421 February 20, 2016

"I was prescribed this for a lingering cough two years ago, along with antibiotics. It seemed to help a little. I'm taking it again now and it has no effect at all. Tussionex works much better, but I think doctors are hesitant to prescribe it because it has a a narcotic in it."

Nightcougher February 16, 2016

"I was diagnosed with bronchitis and was prescribed 100mg dosage. At my pharmacist's suggestion I started off by taking 200mg. This medication had no effect on my cough whatsoever. I think it belongs in the placebo aisle. Robitussin with codeine actually works, but when I asked my doctor for it he substituted this worthless concoction. When I got to the pharmacy they were actually out of this junk and refused to call my physician and offer a substitute. Instead, they called pharmacies around town and sent me to a competitor to get this stuff. It appears the Benzonatate sales force has a lock on both the doctors and pharmacists. I wish I had known how ineffective this stuff is on coughs before I went to the pharmacy."

JimG74 (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

"Worked well for me. Didn't last the full 8 hours but let me get through work. My cough was so bad I pulled a muscle and was throwing up. Also, it helped me be able to sleep instead of coughing all night. I was prescribed 1-2 capsules every 8 hours. 100mg."

haylery (taken for less than 1 month) February 14, 2016

"Taking benzonatate 2x 100mg - 3x day on my second day of use and no effect at all, not even confusion or dizziness others have commented on. The doctor didn't even think I was taking it when I went in for a follow up appointment. Also taking levofloxacin 500mg 1x day and magnesium oxide 2 hours after the levofloxacin."

fyrye (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

"I had to go to the ER tonight. I had viral respitatory illness. My head was throbbing with pressure from sinus's being stuffed up and my ears and throat burned. I was short of breath and my chest hurt when I would breath and I could stop coughing. They prescribed me this and tussinex. I stopped coughing within 20 mins and I feel So much better. No coughing my my sinus's are drying up and I can breath again ! Miracle drug ! Amazing!"

Anna09847 January 30, 2016