Can benzonatate be used for a sore throat?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 7, 2023.
I have a sore throat, but I am not coughing. I was just wondering if it would help my throat?
Benzonatate may help for a sore throat, but it is indicated more for a cough. If however, your sore throat is because of an infection then you should see the doctor and be treated for the infection. Numbing the pain won't make the infection go away.
Benzonatate is a non-narcotic cough medicine. It works by numbing the throat and lungs, making the cough reflex less active. Benzonatate is used to relieve coughing.
Related medical questions
- What's the best sore throat medicine to use?
- What's the difference between tonsillitis and strep throat?
- Can Amox-Clav tablets be crushed?
- Benzonatate Information for Consumers
- Benzonatate Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Benzonatate (detailed)
Related support groups
- Benzonatate (25 questions, 32 members)
- Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis (28 questions, 45 members)