User Reviews for Topamax

Learn more about Topamax.

Topamax Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Obesity.

Reviews for Topamax to treat Obesity

"I've tried in twice. First time about 7 years ago and lost a modest amount of weight easily. I can't remember how much. It made me thirst, so I drank a lot of water and it took away my craving for junk food. Send time was end of May, 2016. 100mg at night. I lost 10 pounds in about 5-6 weeks easily. No desire to snack or eat emotionally. Only downside was that I was anxious a lot. I've now plateaud but at least I'm not gaining weight. I should try to up the dose. At least the anxiety has largely decreased."

Kittensb (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 11, 2016

"Ok so I am going on my third week of topamax I have seizures uncontrollably migraines and obesity so let me begin with saying this I have noticed a significant change in my body as far as the weight loss goes 6pds since I have been on it and still loosing however I have lost my appetite I have no desire to eat I may eat one time a day that's the only downside I have noticed a change in carbonated drinks they don't taste the same anymore I am currently coming off tegortol which was only treating my seizures and I was gaining so much weight so I'm thankful that topamax is working for me and i only have to take one pill a day to treat all my ailments"

Caseyant June 10, 2016

"First started topamax in 2013 lost 30 lbs on 75mg in 3 mos topamax 25 mg 3 x a day w/30 mg prozac once a da. Weight went from 278 to 248. I am 65 year old female obese all my life. Had experimental Lap band surgery in 1979. Gained all weight back. Tried everything and gained back all weight every time. Can't take diet pills make me too jittery. After three years stopped topamax because of minor memory loss which I thought was embarrassing. Stayed on Prozac 30mg and gained all weight back and more up to 291. Now I am really depressed. Came off Prozac and am back on topamax 25 mg in morning and 25 mg at night only. Have lost 3 lbs in one week. So happy. Would rather walk and feel better physically than remember someones name,"

Reeneebee May 16, 2016

"After getting a blistering skin rash from Lamictal, Topamax was prescribed. It did decrease my appetite- I went from 209 lbs back to my regular 135 which I hadn't been in 7 years. This took place in about 10 months. At abt the same time I started taking it, I was rearended and suffered a MTBI and scored very low on my neuropsych exam. My old psychiatrist retired and the new psychiatrist is against Topamax bc of the "foggy" side effects that are common. Now, a little over a year later, I feel ok abt this med considering the alternatives- wish there were better alternatives!"

Sunnis May 10, 2016

"I suffer from migraines and also am overweight. So the Dr prescribed me topamax for both. I weighed in at 209 on Feb 2 2016 and today Feb 12 2016 I am 203. So far so good with the weight loss. I'm not to pleased with the side affects however. I feel fuzzy all day. Like I'm on a cloud, Dizzy. Tingling and nubness in my fingers and toes. Hasn't helped my migraines at all either. It does though not make me hungry at all. I have to force myself to eat because I know I have too. I don't see myself taking this medication long term. I'd rather try and lose the weight naturally. Not worth all the side affects"

RachelLp February 13, 2016

"I have been obese my whole life. I have struggled with diets and exercise and eating and starving. I have gone as far as having weight loss surgery. EVERYTHING has only been temporary. My new doctor has recommended Topamax. I currently weigh 282.6. I have started out on 25 in the morning and 25 at night. In 1 month I will go in for my follow up. Has anyone else tried everything else and completely fail? My doctor says it could be my genetic makeup. But anyway I plan on keeping a record on here of my journey for myself and others to follow. Thank you for your support."

AmandaRaeKrause January 14, 2016

86 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"When I first started taking Topamax it was prescribed to me for the prevention of migraine headaches. A couple of years later I now take 200mg in the morning and 200mg at bedtime and since February I have lost 51 lbs... 282 down to 232 and still loosing more!!!!"

sfears1120 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 28, 2015

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This was prescribed for binge eating as I have mood disorder and I need to lose weight. The binge eating was causing me to go over my calorie plan. I have taken it for over 6 months. I have worked up to 200 mg a day. Never had any side effects and no help with appetite either."

ChiWee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 28, 2015

"I have been over weight and suffer from depression for over 20 years, I admit food was my best friend!!! After hysterectomy doctor put me on hormone replacement medicine, I was so hungry constantly , All I could think about was eating. Then my doctor put me on Topamax and I LOVE IT! I went from 252 lbs to now 167 lbs. From size 22 now size 10. I have to make myself eat, never hungry, and when I am eating I just try to eat slowly, and I do drink water now because even my favorite diet soda does taste terrible. I would tell everyone to try it!"

Jo Jo 997 September 13, 2015

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started 25 mg on June 2nd at bedtime I had the tingling in my hands and bitter taste in my mouth I also fought to remember what I had done all night and morning I felt like a complete zombie..I took one dose and haven't took anymore since the side effects this pill has isn't worth me risking it I'd rather keep my weight until I find another way to get it off and to this day June 5, 2015 I still have tingling in my hands and feet and numbness in my arms along with swelling in my fingers I will never take another topamax it's awful...."

Isn't for me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

"I was on 25 mg to start and ended up taking 100. I lost weight. But the price I paid in side effects was not worth it. I lost so much hair that when I try to braid it it's like braiding tiny strands of dental floss. It looks so ridiculous long I had to chop it all off just to conceal how grossly thin it is. People call it dopamax for a reason. It made my memory Swiss cheese and when I had to process information it felt like fighting through seaweed. The worst side effect was the depression. This stuff makes me downright suicidal. It helped me lose about 80 pounds by starvation. I never wanted to eat. I became anemic. If you've never had that before you'll find simple physical tasks to feel like they're inciting heart attacks."

Jennoyed May 30, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I started taking 50 mg of Topomax for the first month and went up to 100mg for the next three months. Lost 40 pounds.... For the next year and a half I have kept off the weight but have not lost any more. I still need to lose 30 more pounds, but have seemed to plateaued. And I am at 200 mg now... dont know what to do."

Lindzh90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far."

momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015

180 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am extremely obese. My starting weight when I started taking Topamax was 289.0 lbs. I weighed myself every few days. I started for one week taking 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. Now I take 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening. Im also eating right veggies and fruits and snacks. This medication is making me lose at least 13 lbs since Jan. 5, 15 and today I'm 276.0 and its Jan. 19, 2015. in that short amount of time that's a good amount of weight to drop. So thank you Topamax!"

Steph6981 (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2015

146 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too."

NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2014

"Awful. I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks before I had to quit Topamax due to side effects, which were terrible. They included: memory loss and "senior moments" which increased 10-fold, I think this medicine dropped my IQ at least 15 points, that "I'm not part of this world" feeling of disconnectedness; and overheating to the point that I simply could not work out. Gained the 10 pounds back within 3 weeks of quitting."

Mike_West Coast August 31, 2014

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on Topamax for a little less than a month and already lost 16 pounds! My doctor gave it to me for the weight loss effects and I have had no adverse side effects that I know of so far. It rates a 10 in my book!"

Happy Camper (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2013

445 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Losing 10lbs plus per month."

Tater young hgarytre (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2013

194 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Topamax is amazing. I originally took it 6 years ago to prevent migraines and lost 80 lbs as a bonus. At that time my doctor and I speculated that it would some day be approved for weight loss because I was not his only patient to report changes in the taste of carbonated beverages and chocolate while taking the medication. I also noticed that I did not dream about food while taking the medication, but within 3 months of changing medications food reentered my dream content. I am now back on the medication to address chronic pain issues and have already found the same results in weight loss, taste changes, and dream content."

Anonymous February 24, 2012

306 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been battling my weight since I was pregnant with my first son, who just turned 2. I was 165 when I got pregnant with him, and on the day I went in to have my second son (who is 5 months old today) I weighed 270. I just took my first 25 mg dose of Topamax last night. I am addicted to Diet Dr. Pepper and can't even stand the taste. Not hungry either, so I'm hopeful that this medicine will work. I also take Celexa and Tenuate. I don't know if it's the combination, or just the Topamax, but I am feeling kind of "floaty" today, in a sense. Maybe this will improve with time."

mommy_of_2 September 15, 2011

161 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Definitely takes away my hunger."

Anonymous September 12, 2011

170 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I'm a Male in my early 50's. I was struggling with weight loss. My doc put me on Topamax several years ago to curb my appetite and since then I've been able to loose 65lbs and keep it off."

BOB321 March 6, 2011

206 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Topomax combined with Melatonin have prevented me from waking up and eating in middle of the night. Has allowed me to diet and make progress. However, side effects have been challenging, mental fog, reduced sex drive are just a few."

Anonymous February 15, 2011

134 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I haven't been on Topiramate very long, only a couple of months. Started taking it for RLS (restless leg syndrome). I was really surprised to see that it is sometimes used as a weight loss medicine. I didn't really notice any difference in my appetite. However, my last visit to doctor did show that I've lost 5lbs. I don't like the tingling, crawling skin sensation side effect. That went away after a few days."

Anonymous September 26, 2010

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was on Topamax for almost 3 years, was prescribed it for severe migraines. The weight loss was a side effect, a nice one though! I didn't need to lose much to begin with, maybe 20lbs or so, and I started to notice that I went from the 140's to the 120's. I am now off this medicine as I have been migraine free for almost two years and the only bad thing I can say is that the weight comes right back on if you're not watching very carefully. Also - HUGE side effect was the medicine caused my body to not sweat, which caused severe overheating. It's a less common side effect, but a very super important one to be aware of."

Anonymous July 8, 2010

204 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate