User Reviews for Topamax to treat Fibromyalgia

Topamax has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 24 ratings for the treatment of Fibromyalgia. 50% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Topamax Rating Summary

5.8/10 average rating

Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Fibromyalgia.

Reviews for Topamax

ponygal1963 April 28, 2010

“This has been a wonder drug for me when combined with Cymbalta. I have suffered for years and had been on narcotic pain killers. The pain had finally gotten so bad that even those weren't working. I work in Pre-K and didn't want to give up my job to become a disabled person living at home on pain killers. I found an awesome Doctor who understood that I didn't want to live on those types of medications. After only two visits she tapered me off of the medicines I was on and started me on Topamax along with Cymbalta. That is all I take. No more pain! Life is wonderful again.”

Rln122801 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 7, 2020

“I have been taking Topamax a long time. I was taking 200mg but I was having memory issues so I asked my doctor if I could try 175 mg and she agreed. It has worked much better. I was taking it all in the morning and I was so tired in the day. I read on here that someone suggested taking half in the am and half in the afternoon. I started that 2 weeks ago and it has made a huge difference my energy level. I use to stay in bed most of the day. Now I bake and do crafts with my kids.”

Burps · Taken for 10 years or more June 24, 2015

“Topamax was a miracle drug for me! It helped with my Fibromyalgia pain & headaches. I would definitely recommend this drug. I have to stop taking it now due to the development of kidney stones. I wish I could stay on it as it improved my life by 90%. I'm a 59 year old female. I have had fibromyalgia for 23 plus years.”

tinkerbell420 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 27, 2013

“I was put on Topamax 2 months ago after a serious car accident that left me in a flare up of my fibromyalgia. I have not reacted well to medications in the past and have had serious reactions which lead to serious consequences to the other meds I was on. Topamax has been the only medication that I have been able to tolerate well. It does take a while for it to start working though and I have had a few side effects but none that I'm not willing to put up with and 2 of them have gone away since I have started the Topamax.”

Turn1964 June 2, 2016

“I love this medicine. My Dr originally gave it to me for weight loss but it got rid of all my joint pains. I had it everywhere. It was a miracle drug for me. I am noticing some memory loss, and difficulty concentrating but I'm 52 so it could be age. I'm going to cut back on the dosage and see if I notice changes.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 26, 2014

“This medication in combination with other medicines gave me my life back. I had unsuccessful or allergic reactions to other meds that I had tried. I thank my doctor and this medicine every day for giving me my life back.”

Áinej · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 20, 2017

“Diagnosed with fibro and CFS after car accident. Began to get vertigo, light and sound sensitivity on top of all the usual symptoms. They would stay for weeks. Found out eventually it was aurora of migraine. Topamax sorted me out. No more brain fog, vertigo, audio or photo sensitivity. The tiredness also lifted, I can stay awake all day but can't over do it. Pain still there though but I feel so normal after so many years of disfunction it's unbelievable. It's like someone unscrambled me!!! I'm on 175mg. 100mg in morning, 75mg in afternoon.”

Lynn Y. January 27, 2017

“Miracle drug! The side effects can be daunting at first, like tingling/numbness in extremities that won't stop for hours, but if you increase your water intake substantially and power through, it's totally worth it. My daily tension headaches are 90% gone, which is huge for me. It didn't do much in terms of overall muscle pain reduction or the daily body aches, but I did lose over 30 pounds in four months. I stopped drinking all carbonated drinks (because it makes them all taste super flat weirdly) and definitely am not as hungry as I used to be, so that's just a bonus.”

Teddy · Taken for 10 years or more May 13, 2018

“Been taking Topamax since 2004, off label, for peripheral neuralgia in my feet with very positive results. Did not realize the additional effects on fibromyalgia until I ran out for about 2 weeks...won't let that happen again!”

Dummy · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 5, 2018

“Do not take this if you are even remotely sensitive to side affects. I was considered extremely smart and an excellent memory with a background in english and communication. I cannot remember what I said or did yesterday.... Much less my life memories.”

Bobby Johnny doe December 1, 2015

“The thing I noticed is 90% of my outbreaks went away, however the other 10% were more severe. If you can group that other 10% of the time with a powerful pain medicine then making it through this is not as hard as it use to be. I had been taking other opioids for other conditions that did nothing to help fibro until topamax.”

Headachpanda · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 11, 2017

“I was put on this medication for fibromyalgia and basilar type migraines by my neurologist in high school. I originally went off of it because I could not handle the side effects. I was then bullied by my mother & doctor into going back on to it because "it was my only option". I became face blind, could not navigate my way around even with a map, memory difficulties. issues doing simple math, became asexual & had no motivation to interact with people. Towards the end of my time on topamax I was so depressed that I would just sit despondently. I switched doctors and she immediately stopped it. The side effects went away after stopping the first time but after the 4yrs on it I still have some side effects that haven't completely gone away.”

cinder · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 6, 2021

“I went on Topamax 9 months ago. At first it seemed to work then 2 months later in the beginning of summer, I realized I stopped sweating. Then the hair loss started. I became extremely constipated, muscles were sore, feet and hands felt like needles. Towards the end my muscles became weak and a lot of nausea. I still had migraines on a regular basis. My body hurt so much. After 9 months I had severe diarrhea and vomiting. After being off the pill about 2 weeks later my body started feeling better. Doctor says it is the only pill I have left to use. I would rather have the migraines than how awful this pill made me feel.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 21, 2015

“Highly negative experience. Was treated for migraines with this medication, however I ended up with severe depression and suicidal behaviours. It became so bad I could not be left in our house alone. I had muscle atrophy and injured myself just from trying to walk. One broken foot and 3 back injuries. Worst medication I have ever taken; it almost killed me.”

MZApzap · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 18, 2017

“I took this for my chronic central pain state and it was a very effective pain killer as long as Tapentodol not taken simultaneously, then skin itch develops at low dose of EXTENDED RELEASE (capsule) 100mg nocte and 50mg morning. The itch was severe by time dose increased to 200mg am and nocte but no,other side effects except possible responsible for my delayed circadian Rythm disorder. Waking constantly before 4am sleeping 4-11am so very inconvenient, but others side effect free and a good pain killer. Remember to check if you have been prescribed the normal tablets or extended release capsules and that pharmacy has given you the correct kind.”

angziety · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2013

“I was on Topamax for almost a month, but I had to stop because of the painfully tingly feet. It didn't do much for my pain overall either. I was also taking it to curb my appetite and for PMDD, but my appetite was the same or worse and it did nothing for the PMDD (might have actually made it worse!). We tried this because Geodon worked well for my PMDD but suddenly stopped working after 4 years (and gave me tardive dyskinesia).”

Dov B · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 26, 2021

“This drug had absolutely no effect on my fibromyalgia symptoms, and on top of that it severely worsened my depression and suicidality. The only benefit I experienced was it inhibited sweating, which was a nice relief albeit not the point. I tried it alone and also with Keppra, to no avail. All of this occurred in my early teens, so I can't remember the exact dosage - I believe I was taking the recommended dosage as suggested by Table 1 in the dosage guide, but only once a day.”

barbiedee · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 13, 2014

“Took away 95% of my pain”

mommarae December 21, 2009

“It's a wonder drug - my daughter takes it and lost so much weight. Her headache's are gone, she feels like a million bucks.”

Holycats7 · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 31, 2013

“Helps with sleep and weight loss”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2012

“WEIGHT LOSS GREAT but hair loss is not worth it”

efloyd105 December 16, 2011

“Had cognitive thought and short term memory loss issues. ”

gallardond August 10, 2011

“I didn't like Topamax. I became very paranoid, anxious and since I have been off of it I still have mild side effects from it. Not a good experience. Glad it works for some.”

Anonymous August 15, 2011

“This medication made me very anxious and caused panic attacks.”

ryan726363 September 30, 2015

“Very sick and dizziness”

Learn more about Fibromyalgia