User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Muscle Spasm 178 reviews 55 medications

6.8
Cluster Headaches 17 reviews 35 medications

6.8
Summary of Tizanidine reviews 195 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Tizanidine

For Cluster Headaches: "I've been on this medicine for about a week now. It helps me relax at night but doesn't make me sleepy like it makes others. I'm currently on 4mg at bedtime. I wake up with the same headache that turns into a migraine almost on a daily basis. My doctor said that it can take 6-8 weeks before the therapeutic dose starts working. I hope that's the truth and it does eventually start working. I'm desperate for a normal brain with no headaches or migraines."

Ashley Anderson August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I have been having odd neck and shoulder problems for a while. My doctor seems clueless as to what the issue actually is. About a week ago I woke up them a lot worse than usual and it felt as if my shoulders had fallen asleep. Called the doctor saying this can't be normal. Went to see that doctor. Who looked stuff up on some badly done metric. Only took two of the tablets. Feeling strange - and not at all myself. This is a very common effect of this stuff. Who ever approved and suggested turning off a bunch of random switches needs their heads examined. And this stuff needs to be taken off the market as mostly junk. Just junk. For me it feels toxic and weird and not at all myself. That is not ok."

Poe99 (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: "I have been taking Tizanadine for 10 yrs. for severe muscle spasticity in neck and back due to RSD/CRPS, plus spinal stenosis, bulging discs, and previous car accident neck and spine injuries. Dose: 4 mg, 3 daily, usually 4 mg in the morning and 8 mg at night. I have found it very helpful. At first, it was very sedating, but not after a year or so. It does help me sleep. Works best with the help of pain meds and Baclofen cream. I had a serious drug interaction with SSRI antidepressants (particularly Luvox): actually passed out in my soup at a restaurant the first time I took them together. Hope this helps."

PastorCindy (taken for 10 years or more) July 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "Severe insomnia due to muscle spasm. Fibromyalgia since 2001. Began Tizanidine June 2004. Also, 3 bulging discs from negligent car wreck ( driver ran stop sign) since Jan 2015. Somnolence, Dry mouth most common. I've always noticed visual disturbances ( enhanced colors and patterns of whatever I'm viewing before falling asleep after taking tizanidine). Experienced noticing " monkeys and grapevines in ceiling while watching Tarzan like movie when began drug in 2004. I still can see the enhanced color and pattern of tile or carpet as I walk from bathroom to bedroom shortly before falling asleep. I'm an optometrist with history of excellent ocular health. May 2017 retinal photos revealed " Bear-Track" like pigment patterns:both eyes. 12mg hs."

eyedrdi (taken for 10 years or more) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I have taken 2 and still have spasm in hip not sleeping what else can I do"

Lil247 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "These things knocked me out I want help with muscle spasms but not to the point of being unconscious"

Me160 June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: "Strained my rotator cuff, MD acute care practice prescribed 4mg. I asked both doctor and pharmacist if it was okay to take with Allegra D. Both said yes. Luckily I was safe at home. It was scary how sedated I was. I had set an alarm for an appointment 2hours after taking mess. I got out of bed and could hardly make it to the restroom. Needless to say I cancelled the appointment. Next time I took the Medicines separately and broke the 4 mg table into 1mg. I'm no lightweight but this was too strong for me."

GgGi June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "PCP gave me script for 2mg to be taken 1 tab at bedtime for my lower back pain. Since I took it just as I was getting into bed, I noticed nothing about it making me sleepy. I have no problem falling asleep anyhow. There was no noticeable change to my lower back pain. The only noticeable side effect was the "relaxing" of my abdominal muscles so that I now look like I have total abdominal distension...a big belly...my waist has gone from about 32" to 36" and I cannot suck it in. I have been off the drug now for 7 days (I only took it for 7 days) and my abdominal distension is still there. Will it ever go back to normal?"

19jaugar65 June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "Someone mentioned that the zanaflex made her whole body relaxed, not just take away her spasms, but the medication is a muscle relaxer and has more than one usage, like, I use it to sleep because if I use it as a muscle relaxer, even a little bite would knock me out during the daytime."

Linda44777 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "This is a great medicine for muscle spasm and neck/head pain. I tried flexoril but that made my knees feel wobbly but did not make me feel sleepy like the tizanadine, which I need because I have serious sleep disturbances. The tizanadine also is good for overall aches and pain for me. I take 2 mg at dinner then 6 mg at bedtime. If I wake up in the night I take another 4 mg. This is a high dosage but my doctor allows me 12 mg daily. I am thankful for this medication."

Dollie G. June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "My blood pressure went up to 200/110 when I took this medicine."

mehdi T (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I have had chronic pain and muscle soreness and tightness for about 13 years. Recently my pain management doctor left his practice but I had 2 refills on my Tizanidine and could no longer get my Hydro :( so I got Tiz refilled. (Previously I had only taken the Tiz at night once in while.) The first time I took it was Sunday during the day and it was fine, it just made me feel a bit relaxed. I also took one Sunday night before bed and slept like a rock. But it seems that this med really adversely affects me the next day. On Monday at work I suddenly started feeling extremely tired and out of it around Noon. (I didn't even take it on Monday.) Then Monday evening I began to get very nauseous and sweaty. Very strange drug. I also got headaches from it"

LauraMazz (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "Cause me to have nightmares really badly!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I'm an insomniac and this medicine knocked me out cold in the middle of the day. I probably had the deepest REM sleep of my life. However I'm only giving it one star because my muscles were screaming in pain as much at the time as I took it, as when I woke up four hours later."

Summer14476586 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I am having a allergic reaction to this drug and nobody will listen to me. I'm losing my hair. My throat burns, I have blisters on my tongue. It burns when I go #2. I feel like I'm dying!!!!!!!! Why won't anybody help me. I received a shot in my back in Dec. 2016 and I'm still in agony. I had one [1] shot in the Drs. office. I am also on gabapentin [800] mil. tablets. Hydrocodone [10-325 tb tablets. cyclocenzaprine [10 mil tablets.and over the counter allergy medicine to try to stop the reaction. and pepto-bismol to stop chronic diarrhea. If you can help me PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP."

lil-mutt April 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I just recently started this medication. It seems to make my body hurt when I've taken it. Almost like it relaxes my whole body instead of just the muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. Kind of strange.."

Grma68 April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: "I have suffered from daily migraines for over 20 years. Have tried many medicines through the years and this has really decreased the number I have. Went from daily to once every couple of weeks or so. I take 4 mg at bedtime every night and immitrex when I feel one coming on."

Anonymous4863 April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "At first when I took Tizanidine at night and then in the morning, I had to leave work and go back to sleep. I was so tired and couldn't do anything. After that I only took it at night which was helpful. I discovered I needed to take it just before I went to bed. It makes me drowsy and unable to walk. I even fell out of the bed and hit my head while I was trying to sit up. The good thing is it did stop the muscle spasms. I would recommend it but would warn about the side effects that could happen."

Toni Tiger (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "My pain doctor just gave me this because flexeril 10mg three times a day was not working for me. My muscles were just in knots constantly. I can take ativan 2mg hydrocodone 10mg and that all at once and work just fine. But this just knocked me out. I had a really hard time staying awake. So I'm just gonna take half while at work. But this medicine works amazing for me. No bad side effects thus far other than in making me super drowsy. I highly suggest this medicine if you suffer from fibromyalgia or sever muscle spasm like me."

Taking for fibromyalgia (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "Has major side effects. Gives me restless leg syndrome"

Negative experience (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I had a stroke recently, began suffering from muscle spasms, was put on Baclofen, that brought out a whole new batch of spasms!!!, Doctor switched from that to Tizanidine HCL. This made my spasms worse than the first. These meds are not compatible to the type of spasms I have. I'm not taking any more of this poison. Seems to me, with any medicine, for whatever the reason may be, one should at least see some kind of improvement or feel somewhat better in two weeks and that's stretching it. For those patients with MS or another illness, I'm happy that Tizanidine HCL worked for you. Nothing at all seems to work for me. As I write this, I'm sitting here crying because my spasms are locked in place. This is how I live now. It's the worse feeling"

Ms Harris (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I experience a severe frontal headache everytime I take a full pill. Very bad and painful wakes me up, I have to go take tylenol (1300 mg) but it still hurts. Also, I have very complex crazy dreams."

Norfolk mum March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Cluster Headaches: "Absolutely love this medication. I suffer from chronic migraines and daily headaches. I take 4mg of Zanaflex at breakfast, 2mg at lunch, and 4mg at bedtime. I'll take 6mg during a migraine attack and it helps tremendously with the pain, helps me sleep, and actually helps with the nausea. Zanaflex made me very drowsy at first and still does taken at doses of 4mg. Overall, incredibly helpful drug!"

OodlesOPoodles (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "I have severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I sleep so much but barely got any real deep sleep. Add chronic pain and I no longer had a life. I'm only 31. I do not take strong addictive meds because I don't believe in them. However, I was prescribed this from my doctor. 1x 4 mg tabs at night, 1 x 2mg for naps during the day. I was sleeping 2-4 days straight before! Now I sleep less but it's real sleep. 2 or 3 naps a week to sustain me plus real 8 hrs at night. It's great. However with research , I will be very careful with it and come off it slowly when i no longer need it... I don't believe in cure-all drugs. But this has given me a little piece of my life back! So far so good."

ASH2.0 March 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Muscle Spasm: "This is making me always feeling exhausted when doing anything. Fatigue all day. No motivation at all."

KMJOHNSTON (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2017