User Reviews for Tizanidine

Cluster Headaches 7.5
Muscle Spasm 6.3

Reviews for Tizanidine

Hick · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2020

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: “I took Zanaflex for not even a week. It worked sooo good, I thought I’d found the answer for my pain!!! But then it stopped working for me ! Any ideas?”

Mikel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 19, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “tizanidine works pretty well for the pain from the muscles spasms around my broke vertebrae, but side effect of the dreams.... the dreams are so vivid. I have to make sure things didn’t happen the next morning as well as some extremely vivid nightmares so bad I wake up thinking it’s still going on. Wish this side effect wasn’t there”

Beachbum · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “After several years tizanadine started to drop my blood pressure. I mean my systolic pressure was 80 or less! I had to be taken off and switched to something else. The new drug doesn't work nearly as well for the muscle spasms. I understand tizanadine is a cousin to a blood pressure medicine. True?”

Darla · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 29, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “I'm using 4mg tizanidine for muscle and severe, chronic back, pain. The pain prevents sleep but using this drug has helped a lot. During the day I only take 1/2 (2mg). I'm sleepy but I can still function and I don't leave the house. At night I take 1 tablet (4mg) and it wipes me out for 4-5 hours. It's wonderful to be able to sleep again. Conclusion: It works for severe back pain, muscle spasms, muscle pain, and aids with sleep. I'm so grateful. Cons: It gives me a dry, scratchy throat. I'm too relaxed to do anything. Leaving the house is not an option. It's got to be better than taking more pain meds.”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “I’ve been on the medication Tizanidine now for 2 years. It works great for my spasms neck and headache. As long as I take it with the other meds I’m prescribed with. Taking it alone is like taking a aspirin. I’ve had no side affects at all thus far.”

Painter · Taken for less than 1 month February 27, 2020

“I tried Tizanidine twice. The first time it hit me as I was driving to a doctor. I started driving off the road and almost driving into other cars. I pulled into a parking lot, called the doctor, and told him I couldn't make it and what was happening. I called my daughter at work but she said she couldn't get me. I fell asleep but I couldn't tell my dreams from reality. I didn't realize at the time that I was having a reaction to the tizanidine. The next time was worse. My legs from knees to ankles turned red from blood leaking under the skin. Went to the doctor, don't remember leaving his office and driving home. At home I fell, broke my hand, and when my daughter came in to see what happened I couldn't talk. Either nothing came out or I spoke nonsense I could think the words but there was no connection between brain and mouth. Was admitted to the up hospital then rehab for a couple of weeks. So scary. Will NEVER take ever again.”

Rin February 26, 2020

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: “I have been on this medication Zanaflex for a few months due to degenerative disc disease in my neck, spine and lower back...I also have arthritis in my neck and back with severe muscle spasms. This medicine has helped me so much. It's not addictive and not a controlled substance which is fantastic. I wont take pain pills....I take 4mg 3 times a day and it helps me sleep.”

LKWinter · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 25, 2020

“I've had migraines (chronic) for 25 years and have tried 30+ medications and multiple treatments. I've also seen multiple specialists. Zanaflex is the only medication that really works for me. I started @ 2mg, at bedtime and slowly increased to 4mg, 3x daily. The effectiveness doesn't last long (roughly 4 hours) but the dulling of pain, if only temporary, is worth it. The only side effect I've experienced, throughout years of use, is (extreme) drowsiness. The first dose of the day is the worst. It sometimes 'knocks me out.' I cannot drive or function well after taking it, -roughly an hour after taking, I become a zombie and NEED a power nap. After that, I'm Ok. I am so thankful for this medication; it's by no means a cure, but it has given me some relief where virtually nothing else has.”

SA · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

“I suffer with muscle tightness in neck/shoulders, migraines. I think the tightness in my neck has gotten maybe a little bit better since taking this tizanidine . However, I’ve all of the sudden since taking it gotten bad acne. Also, about 30 minutes after taking it before bed, I get suddenly extremely sleepy to the point I fall asleep immediately and my body feels super weak/tired... but then I wake up 3-5 hours later and cannot fall back asleep the rest of the night. It doesn’t seem to leave me tired or weak past the initial “high” of feeling extremely sleepy/weak. I don’t know that the benefits of this drug outweigh the side effects for me.”

Ralphie212 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “I’ve suffered from dystonia for about ten years. The only medication that helps is a muscle relaxer. After years on Valium, my movement disorders neurologist wanted me to try something less addictive, so I tried baclofen, then clonopin, neither of which was very effective. Now on tizanidine (zanaflex) at a relatively high dosage, I’ve acclimated to the sedative effects and am now experiencing far less discomfort and pain. I’m very pleased with the effects of this medication.”

Chris February 9, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “Seen a neurologist for neck pain & daily headaches (for over 9 years now). I was told I have arthritis and muscle spasms, so I was prescribed tizanidine 2 × day. I told the doctor they don't work at all on me, so she upped it to 3 × day! Now I'm having so much weakness and intense headaches. This is not the medication for me! Soma is the ONLY muscle relaxer that's ever worked for me but my regular Dr will only allow me to be on them for a month (at the most)... and then I have to take a month off of them, before she'll prescribed them again! Now I'm off to get Botox Injections, in my neck and shoulders ”

HurtzDonut · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “Have had what I believe to be acute tendonitis for over a week, with excruciating pain that radiates from my neck to my lower arm. Finally broke down and went to the sawbones (Dr). Was given this drug Tizanidine/Zanaflex. Was told that it makes one drowsy. I have not slept more than 4 hours at a time this past week, and am literally exhausted, yet this and the Naprosyn have not stopped the pain or made me sleepy enough to actually get some rest. After an hour, I'm still awake, still in pain and ready to be put out of my misery.”

TXGirl February 8, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “I fell off a 10 foot ladder onto my left knee resulting in a stage five tibia plateau fracture and broken tibia Anyway my muscles do get very tight he prescribed 4 mg every eight hours as needed. I could feel the muscles relaxing especially my calf but I had hallucinations so bad I wound up in the hospital for three days I mean it was bad!! So bad they restrain me after I punched out to a five nurses seriously and I feel bad about that today but it was the medication. I’ve taken Flexeril before soma they help someone so much got me kind a loopy though. I’m sure not everyone experiences hallucinations but it’s true I did for me it was so bad even in the hospital they called in psychiatry before I can even think of getting discharged praise God by then the meds were out of my system. I can say Zanaflex never made me drowsy”

Dewey February 1, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “I took 1 dose of tizanidine 4mg and wham! and not with any warning it hit me ..this drug should be taken off the market!!! I almost fell literally fell asleep standing and just made it to chair ! I had a hallucination I guess they call it, I saw green lines, my heart rate dropped, my mouth became extremely dry I could hardly talk, I blacked out for a few minutes was extremely tired and the pain ! I felt 100 times worse than before. There was a nasty taste in mouth then my heart was having palpitations, I became extremely tired very fast ,hallucinated and no relief just tired! I have an autoimmune disease (adrenal hypofunction) and was afraid to take ANY med until this got out of my system, gave me a whopper migraine or pain in head , anxiety, heart rate dropped.Never ever will I take this.”

Jane · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 22, 2020

For Muscle Spasm: “One dose Made me so wobbly, I fell over- I was not hurt- but never took another dose. Physical therapy for my leg pain and spasm due to back injury was helped a lot by physical therapy, but you have to be patient”

Upinsmoke187 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 20, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I've been taking tizanidine for my neck spasm over a year and it works great better than most narcotic”

Lynn · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 17, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I have sciatica on both sides of my lower back hurt all the time. Doc put me on this medicine and since then I sleep better and I can tolerate the pain for the first time In years.”

Slip disc · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I have terrible back issues from a herniated disc. Pain and muscle spasms constantly and this drug tizanidine works! It had helped me so much that now I can do a heck of a lot more physical activity and most importantly I CAN SLEEP. Without this drug I was lucky to get 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night. It does make me dizzy sometimes which sucks but its well worth it.”

Streetsoul · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 11, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I be a chronic pain patient since 1999 been on many many meds. I have lower back fusion future neck fusion scar tissue problems. Flexaril did nothing but make me feel sick others just didn't work Dr prescribed this and only at 4mg 2 X day and for me I finally get sleep. It wouldn't be anything to go 4 days or more before any rest at all now get a few hours a night. The big issue is be careful when getting up blood pressure will drop quick. My only concern tolerance and when it's time to stop the withdraws. I hope this review helps in some way”

Teezy · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2019

“I know I left a review once before but this medicine is truly the cure-all for me. I either get, or receive and cure horrible brain zaps from this drug. Haven't taken an SSRI in over 3 years. Rarely take 1 Klonopin. Doctors don't understand brain zaps yet, but they are horrible! I take it for insomnia primarily then headaches, and the brain zaps. Also, be careful not to let your blood pressure drop too low when taking tizanidine. That's a legitimate problem that I seem to survive nightly except for some rare mornings when it gets too low. I have somewhat new nasal allergies and rosacea, suddenly new joint pain at 39. My only cure-all is tizanidine, it really makes everything feel better and helps me sleep. I have had lower back pain for about 14 years and it does nothing for that but it's wonderous for falling asleep without waking up groggy and nixing my random ailments. Hope this is helpful for someone.”

Zan · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 26, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I have severe scoliosis which causes me immense pain. I am in pain 24/7 but night is the worst. I am waiting for health insurance to get surgery so In the mean time my doctor prescribed me this. I couldn’t sleep at all before this drug. I would go 3-4 days of no sleep driving me to the point of tears. This pill makes me so light and relaxed that I can fall asleep for at least 4 hours which is a God sent for me!”

Oplorn · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 19, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “I was prescribed tizanidine following replacement of a spinal cord stimulator. The med made me so dizzy & drowsy it is difficult to evaluate its efficacy. I will follow the path of other reviewers & try a smaller dosage & re-evaluate.”

Star · Taken for 10 years or more October 18, 2019

Zanaflex (tizanidine) for Muscle Spasm: “I have been on this medication Zanaflex for 17 years, it has always helped, I've never developed a tolerance to it. It does put me to sleep but with my condition I need to rest. I have yet to find a drug that does what this drug does. I have tried flexerill, robaxin and baclofen none of them do what zanaflex does”

Bamagirl76 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 10, 2019

“My rheumatologist put me on izanidine 4 mg 3x a day for fibromyalgia. The tizanidine works well with other meds to help my fibromyalgia. Due to the medicine making me drowsy I only take it at bedtime. This has helped me tremendously considering I was having major flares with the fibro.”

Nature Artist October 3, 2019

For Muscle Spasm: “Tried Flexeril with no real improvement and switched to Zanaflex. I thought it was great for sleep for about a month until I dropped to the floor for no apparent reason. Took my blood pressure and was surprised that I was still alive, it was so very low. I normally have high BP so that was some drop! I handled the situation by taking a BP reading first. If it was high I could take 3/4 of a tablet or whole, lower BP meant half or quarter. After a year that still works but I’m noticing that it takes more and more to relieve the muscle so I guess soon I will stop.”