What is Miderizone used for?
Miderizone (tolperisone) is a centrally acting muscle relaxant. It’s widely available in Europe and Asia and is marketed under different brand names, including:
Miderizone is used to treat muscle spasticity due to muscular, vascular or neurological disorders. It comes as a 50 mg or 150 mg tablet that’s taken by mouth. Miderizone is usually taken with food.
The typical dosages are:
- Adults: 50 mg to 150 mg, 3 times daily
- 5 years old and younger: 5 mg/kg daily in three divided doses
- 6 to 14 years of age: 2 to 4 mg/kg daily in three divided doses
Side effects of Miderizone are usually mild and may include:
- Decreased urination
- Mood changes and confusion
- Increased thirst
- Decreased appetite
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or stomach cramps
- Shortness of breath
- Weight gain
- Skin rash
- Rectal bleeding
- Low potassium level
Tolperisone is not currently available in the United States. However, in 2017, Neurana Pharmaceuticals was granted approval to begin Phase 2 clinical studies of tolperisone in the United States.
Comparable centrally acting muscle relaxants currently available in the U.S. include:
- Drugs.com. Miderizone 150 mg. 2022. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/international/miderizone-150-mg.html. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Quasthoff S, Möckel C, Zieglgänsberger W, Schreibmayer W. Tolperisone. A typical representative of a class of centrally acting muscle relaxants with less sedative side effects. CNS Neurosci Ther. 2008;14(2):107-119. doi:10.1111/j.1527-3458.2008.00044.x. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1527-3458.2008.00044.x. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Pill in trip. Medicine Search. Available at: https://pillintrip.com/advanced_search?components=3471. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Ndrugs.com. Miderizone 150 mg uses. Available at: https://www.ndrugs.com/?s=miderizone%20150%20mg#generic. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Practo.com. Tolperisone. 2017. Available at: https://www.practo.com/medicine-info/tolperisone-274-api. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- MIMS. Tolperisone. Available at: https://www.mims.com/hongkong/drug/info/tolperisone?mtype=generic. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Cision PR Newswire. Neurana Pharmaceuticals Receives Notice of Allowance of Patents For Tolperisone, a Novel Skeletal Muscle Relaxant. May 25, 2017. Available at: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/neurana-pharmaceuticals-receives-notice-of-allowance-of-patents-for-tolperisone-a-novel-skeletal-muscle-relaxant-300464196.html. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Drugs.com. Skeletal muscle relaxants. March 20, 2018. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/drug-class/skeletal-muscle-relaxants.html. [Accessed March 24, 2022].
- Drugs.com. Baclofen. September 1, 2021. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/baclofen.html. [Accessed March 28, 2022].
- Drugs.com. Methocarbamol. April 14, 2020. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/methocarbamol.html. [Accessed March 28, 2022].
- Drugs.com. Tizanidine. January 10, 2022. Available at: https://www.drugs.com/tizanidine.html. [Accessed March 28, 2022].
Related medical questions
- Can antidepressants be used for arthritis pain?
- What is Ardosons called in the U.S?
- What is the maximum dose of methocarbamol?