Tizanidine Patient Tips
How it works
Tizanidine relaxes muscles by dampening down nerve impulses that are sent from spasming muscles to the brain.
- Effective at relaxing muscles (reduces muscles spasms).
If you are between the ages of 18 and 60, take no other medication or have no other medical conditions, side effects you are more likely to experience include:
- Low blood pressure, drowsiness, dizziness, energy loss, hallucinations, and a dry mouth.
- May affect a person's ability to drive or operate machinery. Avoid alcohol.
- May cause withdrawal symptoms if stopped abruptly after regular extended dosing (decrease dose slowly under a doctor's advice).
Notes: In general, seniors or children, people with certain medical conditions (such as liver or kidney problems, heart disease, diabetes, seizures) or people who take other medications are more at risk of developing a wider range of side effects. For a complete list of all side effects, click here.
- Capsules may be opened and the contents sprinkled on food.
- Taking with food increases absorption by 20% but slows time for effect. Can be taken with or without food, but should be dosed consistently (either with or without food).
- Effects are dose-related (the bigger the dose, the stronger the effect, but the more noticeable any side effects are).
Response and Effectiveness
Effect peaks within 1-2 hours and diminishes within 3 to 6 hours. may be dosed on an "as needed" basis (during times when muscle spasms are most severe).
Tizanidine [package insert]. Revised 10/2015 Apotex Corp. https://www.drugs.com/pro/tizanidine.html Accessed 03/2016
More about tizanidine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 203 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: skeletal muscle relaxants
Other brands: Zanaflex
Related treatment guides
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use tizanidine only for the indication prescribed.
- Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that this information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. This drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. It is an informational resource designed as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of this information. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2017 Drugs.com. Revision Date: 2016-03-01 00:00:00