User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Tizanidine Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 48 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Tizanidine to treat Muscle Spasm

"It doesn't do a thing for me. Valium on a prn basis works MUCH better."

Suegarrid114 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2016

"This medication worked ok I guess but the side effects kept me from driving and sometimes even walking as it seemed my equilibrium was off when I took it. I also felt woozy and just weird. I need a muscle relaxer twice a day (one soon as I wake up bc I'm as stiff as a board and another when I'm going to bed as I'm sore from working all day. I can't take this one during the day."

sopranofan (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2016

"4 mg knocked me out. It was prescribed for shoulder pain which it may help, but the nice side effect is that you SLEEP. I wasn't prepared for the complete incapacitation, so I only take 1/4 of the pill during the day."

KnitWitch (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2016

"Used at bedtime as Last pain Med of the day to relax a very sore and stiff back with pain also shooting down leg(s)..on really bad days it could be used during the day if I'm a 10/10 pain. Helps me sleep also."

Tracy3011 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 20, 2016

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I have been on xanaflex 4mg 3x a day that I take at night ti help me sleep. It helps the muscle spasms in my legs and allows me to sleep. The only problem I have is that it only lasts 4 hours and then I wake up. Works best if you take thr xanaflex, wait 30 minutes and then eat something and the xanaflex will work that much better."

Samson80 September 17, 2016

"I have Multiple Sclerosis & It didn't help with anything for me...my muscle spasms or my headaches...in fact, it made my head hurt worse! I was prescribed 4mg twice a day...never again!"

MS sucks August 19, 2016

"I've been on this medicine for about 3 months now and it has been a life saver for me when it comes to getting some sleep. I normally take 2 four mg tabs and I am able to sleep for 3 to 4 hours each new night. Prior to being prescribed this medicine I would get at most 1 to 1 1-2 hours of sleep a night with the help of past n medication. I have several problems were the my back, neck and legs plus fibromyalgia. I can't tell you how happy I am that my rheumatologist prescribed this med for help sleeping at night. I've tried Flexeril and I as so doped up the next day that all I wanted to do was sleep. Count me as one that has had great results and might ask my Dr. If it's possible to take a small dose during the day."

Tranrich (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2016

"Dr. ordered 6mg of this for back spasms because flexeril was not doing the job. Had the most bizarre reaction to any medication I ever took. I've had allergic reactions before but this was disturbing. Within 45 minutes of taking the 6mg capsule I could not open my eyes even though I tried. Then I started sweating profusely from every pore in my body. Then I became paralyzed! I tried to lift my arms and couldn't! My breathing became shallow and I started hallucinating! I was finally able to get out of my chair and get into bed after 2 1/2 hours. This was a "one and done" medication for me!"

Marconi August 7, 2016

"I have nerve damage and muscle spasms from a spinal cord compression. This helped with the muscle spasms but I could only take it at night as it made me so incredibly drowsy. Then, I developed severe night sweats. I spoke to my doc who said it wasn't a reported side effect of this drug and must be something else, so I kept taking it another month, but eventually it became unbearable. I was able to determine it really was the drug by taking nothing else and not taking it a few nights, then giving it another try. Sure enough, the drenching night sweats returned. After definitely demonstrating it was in fact the tizanidine causing the problem, the doc switched me."

DaXChAmJoOr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 9, 2016

"Helps me sleep a bit, but seemed to make my spasms worst. It doesn't help with headaches at all. all though I wasn't given this mediation for this problem."

stormy699 (taken for less than 1 month) July 1, 2016

"Had a son 10 yrs ago & they botched my epidural, also developed Fibromyalgia about 6 weeks later & getting the Depo shot. I had never had ANY CHRONIC pain conditions before becoming pregnant. I have been on every pain Med you can think of, but all I want is to be fixed & live a normal life again. I had the same primary for 10 years, he would definitely over prescribe pain meds. I was steadily on SOMA & Valium (he was constantly changing pain meds) I decided 2 find a new Dr, & 4 the last year he's has me on subutex, Valium but will NOT prescribe me SOMA which I told him worked better for me then the pain pills, Flexeril did notta! He just put me on THIS drug with NO WARNING! I'm feeling a big relaxed/tired but it's my 1st time taking it."

MaMaria82 June 25, 2016

"2 or 4 mg doesn't seem to do much of anything for me. Maybe I need a higher dosage!"

Spe77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2016

"I've had chronic pain for decades. I have 6mg, taking 2 for sleep, also with pain medication as needed. I do drink a large amount of water. But you should when your forced to take medication. It does work sometimes, but on real bad nights, I'm up walking about, doing chores, anything to get through the pain. I do notice sometimes I'm a tad groggy, but nothing compared to what people are saying here. I did try it at first during the day, as a way to hopefully limit my pain levels.. It did nothing for me. Have to be in bed resting IF it's going to work. I'm pretty much half and half on this. Sometimes it does, or not. I also do not take it nightly, on average 2-3 nights per week if I have had a few sleepless / painful nights."

Painisfun (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2016

"I have been on tizandine 12mg daily for several years for severe cervical, lumbar, & sacral spasms. It is fair at controlling muscle spasms . I am sure my body has adjusted to the meds but my pain doctor will not prescribe dosages higher than what I am taking."

in pain long time (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2016

"I found this to work fairly well, but wake up with a headache next morn. I know its the Tiz. because I never get headaches and it happens every time I take one."

jhapp April 12, 2016

"Just started, no adverse effects as of yet."

Etta R. March 27, 2016

"Who in there right mind would even want to take or prescribe this medication?! It interacts with dang near everything! The reviews say it's a great sleep aid, but can't take it during the day. I just spent 13 days by my sister's hospital bed after she was found clinically dead. By the grace of God, she was in a bathtub, and hypothermia saved her. When they found her, she had a temp of 90"

Pissed sister (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

"USELESS did not seem to help. Muscle cramps in my ribs are still painful."

LYdda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 19, 2016

"I use this for neck spams and fibromyalgia. I was originally prescribed 4 mgs. twice daily, but found out quickly that taking it during the day made me feel like passing out and I couldn't walk without falling; plus, if I took it and couldn't nap, I felt AWFUL. So, now (per my doctor's orders), I take 8 mgs. only at bed and it relaxes me enough that I'm out like a light within 45 minutes. I do find that I wake myself up yelling at someone I was fighting with in a dream! Scares the bejeezus out of my cat! Lol. It really helps me sleep---which has been an issue for years, because of the pain."

Shahkkc (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 18, 2016

"Works excellent for sleep. I have chronic neck pain and I am allowed to take this 4 times a day 4mg....however It knocks me out and makes me very dizzy and just off. So unless I'm really hurting or have time for a nap I only take it at night."

beanhead2010 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2016

"Life saver!!!! This muscle relaxer is beyond amazing!!!! I take 4mg at bed time and within 45 minutes I'm feeling complete relief and fall asleep!!! I don't take a full pull during the day because I literally can't walk straight or fully function after taking a full dose. Works awesome for a sleep aid too!"

anitsirhc1111 February 8, 2016

"I have chronic pelvic pain of unknown origin. This medication reliably relaxes me and knocks me out enough to sleep. It also sedates me enough to have conversations I don't recall and to pass out mid-sentence. Needless to add, perhaps, I do not take it during the daytime. Like many users, it tends to wear off after about 4 hours and I find an additional dose doesn't promote longer sleep. The sleep I do get is so good that I can put up with the short duration. I am taking the 4mg tablet. A time release formulation would be ideal, I think."

Catewms February 5, 2016

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Well, I really am satisfied w/this medicine. I take it combo w/my pain medication. I was in a car accident two years ago and aside from the pain meds helping me w/pain, this is what actually allows the muscles themselves able to relax so I can sleep better. The one I really can't stand is 'flexeril". I don't what the deal is w/that because of anything, it makes ALL of my extremeties "jump"...like restless leg, but restless EVERYWHERE...(the legs too). The big problem is actually I got a new pain dr., but he only believes in one muscle relaxer and that's baclofen, which does ansolutely NOTHING. His intern told me that I could take two at a time, and still nothing. "

booltr2 January 31, 2016

"This does do nothing to me!! nothing!! I still have problems with the insomnia. It's not worth it ! I've taking the medicine for more than a year and nothing (tizanidine 4 mg...)"

monica022 January 23, 2016

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "I have been taking zanaflex for about 2 years. The best thing about this medicine is it helps me sleep and for me there is no grogginess in the morning. I'm totally alert. Not like with other muscle relaxants. However the medicine usually last about 3-4 hours so it's quite common to wake up in the middle of the night. I give it an 8 because it does work really well for me however I wish the effects would last a little longer to get a full nights rest and also because I can't take it in the day because it knocks me out.....cold."

MonkeyTech January 5, 2016