User Reviews for Tizanidine

Also known as: Zanaflex

Learn more about Tizanidine.

Tizanidine Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Tizanidine to treat Muscle Spasm

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Strained my rotator cuff, MD acute care practice prescribed 4mg. I asked both doctor and pharmacist if it was okay to take with Allegra D. Both said yes. Luckily I was safe at home. It was scary how sedated I was. I had set an alarm for an appointment 2hours after taking mess. I got out of bed and could hardly make it to the restroom. Needless to say I cancelled the appointment. Next time I took the Medicines separately and broke the 4 mg table into 1mg. I'm no lightweight but this was too strong for me."

GgGi June 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"PCP gave me script for 2mg to be taken 1 tab at bedtime for my lower back pain. Since I took it just as I was getting into bed, I noticed nothing about it making me sleepy. I have no problem falling asleep anyhow. There was no noticeable change to my lower back pain. The only noticeable side effect was the "relaxing" of my abdominal muscles so that I now look like I have total abdominal distension...a big belly...my waist has gone from about 32" to 36" and I cannot suck it in. I have been off the drug now for 7 days (I only took it for 7 days) and my abdominal distension is still there. Will it ever go back to normal?"

19jaugar65 June 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Someone mentioned that the zanaflex made her whole body relaxed, not just take away her spasms, but the medication is a muscle relaxer and has more than one usage, like, I use it to sleep because if I use it as a muscle relaxer, even a little bite would knock me out during the daytime."

Linda44777 (taken for less than 1 month) June 8, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is a great medicine for muscle spasm and neck/head pain. I tried flexoril but that made my knees feel wobbly but did not make me feel sleepy like the tizanadine, which I need because I have serious sleep disturbances. The tizanadine also is good for overall aches and pain for me. I take 2 mg at dinner then 6 mg at bedtime. If I wake up in the night I take another 4 mg. This is a high dosage but my doctor allows me 12 mg daily. I am thankful for this medication."

Dollie G. June 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My blood pressure went up to 200/110 when I took this medicine."

mehdi T (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had chronic pain and muscle soreness and tightness for about 13 years. Recently my pain management doctor left his practice but I had 2 refills on my Tizanidine and could no longer get my Hydro :( so I got Tiz refilled. (Previously I had only taken the Tiz at night once in while.) The first time I took it was Sunday during the day and it was fine, it just made me feel a bit relaxed. I also took one Sunday night before bed and slept like a rock. But it seems that this med really adversely affects me the next day. On Monday at work I suddenly started feeling extremely tired and out of it around Noon. (I didn't even take it on Monday.) Then Monday evening I began to get very nauseous and sweaty. Very strange drug. I also got headaches from it"

LauraMazz (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Cause me to have nightmares really badly!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm an insomniac and this medicine knocked me out cold in the middle of the day. I probably had the deepest REM sleep of my life. However I'm only giving it one star because my muscles were screaming in pain as much at the time as I took it, as when I woke up four hours later."

Summer14476586 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am having a allergic reaction to this drug and nobody will listen to me. I'm losing my hair. My throat burns, I have blisters on my tongue. It burns when I go #2. I feel like I'm dying!!!!!!!! Why won't anybody help me. I received a shot in my back in Dec. 2016 and I'm still in agony. I had one [1] shot in the Drs. office. I am also on gabapentin [800] mil. tablets. Hydrocodone [10-325 tb tablets. cyclocenzaprine [10 mil tablets.and over the counter allergy medicine to try to stop the reaction. and pepto-bismol to stop chronic diarrhea. If you can help me PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP."

lil-mutt April 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I just recently started this medication. It seems to make my body hurt when I've taken it. Almost like it relaxes my whole body instead of just the muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. Kind of strange.."

Grma68 April 25, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"At first when I took Tizanidine at night and then in the morning, I had to leave work and go back to sleep. I was so tired and couldn't do anything. After that I only took it at night which was helpful. I discovered I needed to take it just before I went to bed. It makes me drowsy and unable to walk. I even fell out of the bed and hit my head while I was trying to sit up. The good thing is it did stop the muscle spasms. I would recommend it but would warn about the side effects that could happen."

Toni Tiger (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My pain doctor just gave me this because flexeril 10mg three times a day was not working for me. My muscles were just in knots constantly. I can take ativan 2mg hydrocodone 10mg and that all at once and work just fine. But this just knocked me out. I had a really hard time staying awake. So I'm just gonna take half while at work. But this medicine works amazing for me. No bad side effects thus far other than in making me super drowsy. I highly suggest this medicine if you suffer from fibromyalgia or sever muscle spasm like me."

Taking for fibromyalgia (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Has major side effects. Gives me restless leg syndrome"

Negative experience (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a stroke recently, began suffering from muscle spasms, was put on Baclofen, that brought out a whole new batch of spasms!!!, Doctor switched from that to Tizanidine HCL. This made my spasms worse than the first. These meds are not compatible to the type of spasms I have. I'm not taking any more of this poison. Seems to me, with any medicine, for whatever the reason may be, one should at least see some kind of improvement or feel somewhat better in two weeks and that's stretching it. For those patients with MS or another illness, I'm happy that Tizanidine HCL worked for you. Nothing at all seems to work for me. As I write this, I'm sitting here crying because my spasms are locked in place. This is how I live now. It's the worse feeling"

Ms Harris (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I experience a severe frontal headache everytime I take a full pill. Very bad and painful wakes me up, I have to go take tylenol (1300 mg) but it still hurts. Also, I have very complex crazy dreams."

Norfolk mum March 27, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have severe Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I sleep so much but barely got any real deep sleep. Add chronic pain and I no longer had a life. I'm only 31. I do not take strong addictive meds because I don't believe in them. However, I was prescribed this from my doctor. 1x 4 mg tabs at night, 1 x 2mg for naps during the day. I was sleeping 2-4 days straight before! Now I sleep less but it's real sleep. 2 or 3 naps a week to sustain me plus real 8 hrs at night. It's great. However with research , I will be very careful with it and come off it slowly when i no longer need it... I don't believe in cure-all drugs. But this has given me a little piece of my life back! So far so good."

ASH2.0 March 9, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is making me always feeling exhausted when doing anything. Fatigue all day. No motivation at all."

KMJOHNSTON (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 7, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Tizanidine is an excellent muscle relaxer compared to ones like Flexerral, Robaxin, Baclofen, etc. Soma does work better but now it's hard to be Rxed because of FDA overregulating. Anyway, it helps me, gives me great sleep, and helps with headaches. The only side effect I get is dry mouth. Overall though, I highly recommend this over all the other ones our there! It's done an awesome job for muscle spasms."

Ky512 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 11, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication works so well for me. It doesn't leave me groggy and unable to wake up or function like others have that I've been on."

Ladylisa1313 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 5, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have MS and the associated chronic pain. My trapeze and entire neck and back are constantly in spasm mode. I do not sleep more of a float above sleep. My nephrologist thought this would help my torso muscle spasms, several types of headaches and facial muscle spasms plus help me sleep. No on all of the above. No sleep. No relief. A new Headache was created by this and it is causing constipation, dizziness, facial flushing, nausea, depression and tummy pain. I took one 4 mg tablet and will not give it another chance. I am miserable enough I do not need to add to my issues with this drug."

Loveblue62 (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My first muscle relaxer was Valium which worked well but after NY got crazy about controlled substances, I went to Flexaril which did nothing. Then to Tizanidine. The first time I took it I thought someone had given me LSD. I was tripping. It was wild and weird. I stopped taking it. One day I was having the worst muscle spasms and took it again. This time I just fell asleep. I had been on sleep meds but nothing worked like Tizanidine. I stopped taking sleep meds and now just use Tizanidine for sleeping. I take one and a half 4 mg tablets (6 mg a night). If I'm having a bad night and have to take it more than once I feel dizzy and nauseous the next day. The problem is that I can't take it during the day."

JanisBoubous January 24, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"If I take 4mg at bedtime it will allow me to sleep, however, I can't wake when I need to get up to pee! If I take 2mg (a 4mg pill broken in half) I can get up without a problem and still sleep most of the night. I also have a pain pump 9.0Mgr of hydromorphone, oral hydromorphone, trazodone. Even with these drugs on board at bedtime pain keeps me from sleep more than a few hours total each night... With the addition of some tizanidine, I am able to get nearly a full nights sleep. This is the only time I take it."

Desert1948 January 23, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking carisoprodol for about 6 years (1 at bedtime) for muscle spasms and a perfect 8 hours of sleep. My doctor will no longer prescribe it due to the FDA interfering in my health. Tizanidine does make me drowsy, but it is only good for about 6 hours, and then I am awake 2 hours before I should be. Severe dry mouth while sleeping is not good. Overall blah feeling due to lack of sleep. Drugs aren't addictive. People are. The Feds need to get out of my healthcare. They can't even balance a budget."

FEDOUT (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

45 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have a bunch of issues in cervical & lumbar spine. I'm delaying neck surgery indefinitely & am still in the injection phase of attempted treatment for lumbar. I take pain meds & had used flexeril, but it didn't work well at all. So dr replaced flexeril with this at 4mg 3x/day. It helped, but not enough. Now on 8mg 3x/day. This dosage helps the spasms, but had to lower AM dose back to 4mg or I can't stay awake. 2nd dose I take either 4 or 8mg, depending on pain & spasms. At bedtime I take 8mg, which pretty much knocks me out. At least this way I get a couple hours deep sleep, which is hard to come by with constant spinal pain. Side effects: sleepiness, very dry mouth, some constipation. Worth it - it helps!"

Lasondra (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 28, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zanaflex (tizanidine): "Did not put me to sleep or help with pain. In fact it caused anxiety and made pain worse. I was on 4mg. at night for three days. Quit after that. Don't really know why I was put on it because did not have neck or back pain. I have intractable headache. I personally don't believe in off label uses for pharmaceuticals."

PharmasBitch (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016