User Reviews for Ocular lubricant ophthalmic to treat Dry Eye Disease

Also known as: Systane, Artificial Tears, Refresh Tears, Refresh, Lacri-Lube S.O.P., Systane Ultra, Systane Balance, FreshKote, Lubricant Eye Drops, TheraTears, GenTeal, Dry Eye Relief, Tears Naturale II, Natural Tears, Lubrifresh PM, Isopto Tears, Refresh Lacri-Lube, Refresh Optive, Refresh Optive Mega-3, Liquifilm Tears, Bion Tears, Refresh Plus, Liquitears, 20/20 Tears, Oasis Tears, GenTeal Mild, optive, Lacrisert, Systane Ultra Preservative Free, Refresh Celluvisc, GenTeal Twin Pack, Systane Nighttime, Refresh Optive Advanced, Artificial Tears Plus, Celluvisc, Hypotears, Tears Plus, Natures Tears, Hypotears P/F, Aquasite Artificial Tears, Murocel, Duolube, Systane Overnight Therapy, Visine Tears, Refresh Liquigel, Altalube, Sterilube, Opti-Free Pure Moist Rewetting Drops, Puralube Tears, Refresh Classic, Clear Eyes Outdoor Dry, Clear Eyes Natural Tears Lubricating, Clear Eyes Contact Lens Multi-Action Relief, Tears Again, Natural Balance Tears, Viva-Drops, Visine Tired Eye Relief, Visine Tears Long Lasting, Duratears Naturale, Adsorbotear, Akwa Tears, Teargen, Aquasite, Comfort Tears, Liquifilm Forte, Nu-Tears, Nu-Tears II, Tears Naturale, Tears Naturale Free, Major Tears, Ocucoat PF, Puralube, Liquilube Tears, Tears Renewed, Teargen II, Moisture Drops, Refresh PM, Hypotonic Tears, Twenty Twenty, Tears Renew, Blairex Just Tears, Lubrifair, Tears Again Advanced Liposome Spray, Opti-Free Rewetting Drops, Tears Naturale PM, Hypotears Select, Tears Naturale Forte, TheraTears Contact Lens, Oasis Tears Plus, TheraTears Liquid Gel, Tears Again Night & Day, Tears Again Gel Drops, Visine for Contacts, Ultra Fresh, For Sty Relief, Ultra Fresh PM, Moisture Eyes PM, Soothe, Murine Tears, Stye Sterile Lubricant, Refresh Contacts, GenTeal PM, Systane Free, GenTeal PF, Refresh Endura, Moisture Eyes, Visine Pure Tears, Refresh Dry Eye Therapy, Soothe XP, optive Sensitive …show all brand names

Ocular lubricant Rating Summary

2.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 63 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

Reviews for Ocular lubricant

Callie · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Went to purchase Refresh Tears (have been using for 9 yrs) and discovered the store was no longer carrying them. I purchased Systane Ultra and used it that evening. I then continued to use twice a day. On the third day my right eye was irritated, and my large floater was more irritated and painful. I put in the drops several times that day, but to no avail. I consider the product harmful to my eye, and a waste of my money."

Lyra Kind · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "For dry eyes, using the Systane gel drops at bedtime, and comparing to Refresh or Blink gels, I notice a definite burn, possibly the preservative. The worst is that my sight is blurred like Vaseline coat after using- can’t see/focus at all for over an hour to set the clock or read. Other gel drops equalize in 5 minutes or less. Second worst, my lashes are stuck together in the morning so, just to open my eyes, I probably pull out lashes. My eyes feel slightly better the next day after gel on lashes is showered off but still mostly unacceptable for me."

GR · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "I have used Systane ultra and it does a fairly good job but then I bought the two bottle container of Systane Complete thinking it would be even better. Not so. My eyes became irritated, crusty goop on the lids after waking up in the morning. When I stopped using it, my eyes did not have these symptoms."

voodoudo · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

Systane Ultra (ocular lubricant): "I started systane ultra on the advise of my opthomologist for dry eye and blurry vision, after cataract and lasik surgery. Noticed that my eyes were really itchy, but I kept using Systane and thought maybe it was just allergies. I stopped using it and sure enough the itchiness stopped. Not using it anymore."

Starr August 13, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "I have tried Systane a couple of times before which was doctor recommended. This time I tried Systane Complete and my eye became very irritated and itchy. I, first thought that I may have gotten dust in my eyes until using it one last time and my eyes begun itching badly. I have discontinued using this product. The numbers on the bottle are #308314F Expiration date of 05/2020 and also another number under the label # H15175-0418. I did not see a contact number so I'm leaving this comment."

Shahlee · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Cataract surgeon gave me a bottle Systane to use before cataract surgery. I've been on it two days and started getting bluey vision. Have you read the ingredients? BORIC ACID AND HYDROCHLORIC ACID!!"

SaharaEyes · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 6, 2019

GenTeal PM (ocular lubricant): "Genteal PM has provided more relief for my dry eyes than any other otc med I’ve tried. I even use it during waking hours when lube drops don’t help. It’s greasy though, and I can no longer wear eye makeup because of this. I go they about 1.5 tubes a month."

DeeLee · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Diagnosed with dry eye and Blepharitis. Doctor gave me Systane Complete to use for dry eye. It made my eyes burn and very uncomfortable. I threw this stuff away, as anything that makes you that uncomfortable can't be any good. Not going to use Systane products from now on."

wobbles · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 18, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "I've been on these eye drops since 2014 when Hypo Tears went off the market. My dry eyes were never really helped by Systane and I found out recently that they're a big cause of my frequent migraines. I didn't connect the Systane to my headaches until my mom mentioned she was getting bad headaches after using Systane. I stopped them for a few days and the migraines dropped considerably. I've since switched to a no-name generic eye drop I found at Walmart and haven't had any issues at all with it. Wish I'd made the connection between the Systane and my migraines before now because it's been five long years of pain for me."

RGM · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Optometrist said to try this Systane for dry eye and blurry vision. Did not help blurry vision (I'm diabetic). Stung badly in one eye, and now have a small pimple in the corner of the eye. Also experiencing unusually large and more visual floaties. Also experiencing different kind of floaty, like about 1/4 of my eye has an area of very blurry vision that floats in left eye. Also experiencing random, white streaks flashing in the dark, even when eyes closed, like lightning strike at the edge of left eye. Most of these cleared up 3 days after stopping Systane. Will report to Optometrist."

Czxemie · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Use it to clear my dry eyes and thought it's doing good. But no...I am experiencing blurred vision now. Reading all the reviews I have proven it is from the use of this systane balance eye drop. So sad...instead of helping my eyes it made it worst."

car · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "My optometrist suggested I use Systane Ultra in the evening try ease my mild dry eye issues. She suggested that we do not produce tears while sleeping and these were more long lasting than the usual eye drops used for dry eyes. I immediately noticed my eyes were dryer and itchier than normal. I would not recommend these drops , have discarded them, and have informed my optometrist of my experience."

Eye-Eye Captain · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2019

Lubricant Eye Drops (ocular lubricant): "I'm 50 and I've used other drops all my life with no problems. After a few weeks of using these drops my eyes started burning and I noticed my vision would get blurry at night while trying to watch TV. I never had these symptoms before using these drops and it was getting so bad I finally decided to look at the reviews... sure enough, I saw a lot of other people are experiencing the same exact horrible side effects. I just threw mine in the trash... I just hope it didn't do any permanent damage."

Summer · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "My optometrist prescribed Systane Ultra for mild dry eyes. I started using them occasionally as needed. Then a doctor advised that I should be using the eye drops twice daily and 2 drops in each eye. After the second day my dry eyes became severe and I went to an eye specialist who advised I also had blepharitis. This product made my eyes severely worse with an added chronic condition that has affected my vision and balance. It took only a few uses to cause severe eye problems. In my experience this product should not even be on the market and if used should be used with extreme caution. I`m sorry I ever used it."

Don June 28, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "I bought a two pkg of your new complete from my eye doctor and I used it a few days each time a bad burning in both eyes can’t use it I would like to make others aware of this product and for you to figure it out I switched to thera tears with no problems"

Rochella June 27, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Has severe dry eyes and my eye doctor recommended the Systane Gel Eye drops - they were uncomfortable at first to use as they seemed to make my vision a bit blurry and eyelashes sticky, but prior to using the my eye doctor has warned me of this and recommended taking it once only before bed instead. It's a medication that isn't really supposed to be used long term and multiple times a day (I've seen other comments where people have apparently been told to use them 4 times a day for 4 week, which sounds very excessive...). All in all, Systane worked well for me as I didn't use it frequently as per my eye doctor's recommendation. It would be blurry and a bit 'sticky' before bed but in the morning my eyes did feel less scratchy and I supplemented these with other single-use eyedrops during the day to keep my eyes nice and wet. So far so good! I've been told to use it for only two weeks and no more than that, so one more week to go and no real ill effects so far."

javajolt · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

Systane Balance (ocular lubricant): "Like others, I have been using Thera Tears and thought to try the gel what a mistake. Makes my eyes feel like they have glue on them. Would not recommend nor will buy again. Wish I could return them."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 12, 2019

Oasis Tears Plus (ocular lubricant): "Tried this brand (Oasis Tears Plus) as an alternate to my current dry eye medication. Shortly after inserting the drops in both eyes, I experienced some eye pressure pain, irritation, redness, and itching in both eyes, which shortly thereafter turned into a fairly prolonged headache. I tried these drops again the next day to see if these reactions persisted, and I had the same type reaction all over again. I didn't have any of these adverse reactions with my other brand dry eye drops, so I quit using these Oasis drops immediately. Primary ingredient is glycerin, but the incipient ingredients are questionable. Do not recommend if you have drug sensitivities or allergies."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2019

GenTeal PM (ocular lubricant): "I too used Genteal and liked it when I first started using it. That is, until I woke up with what appeared to be an allergic reaction with the bottom of my eye swelling and itching. I actually took a picture of the eye in case I needed to show my ophthalmologist. I compared the ingredients (and the amounts of each) to other night ointments I have used with no reaction and believe that is the problem."

Mar · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 19, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "I have used the Systane Complete for two years and the side effects are I lost all my lashes and have a cyst in my left eye all due to the drops...will never use it again!"

SuzieQ April 6, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "Side effects HORRIFIC..bloodshot eyes, pain, unbelievable itching..that almost had my eye surgery cancelled. Opthamologist claims it is because only the individual applicators are the only ones that are PRESERVATIVE FREE..and that is what caused the adverse terrible effects. What was worse...the skin under my eyes were literally burnt to a crisp after using 1 week. Ultra, Gel drops and nighttime gel all caused same terrible results...Read carefully what Alcon writes..Preservative free is ONLY in the individual packets..."

JAV · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2019

Systane Ultra (ocular lubricant): "I have Macular degeneration & dry eye and have used Systane for years. I happened to pick up Systane Ultra the last time. The edge of my eyelids were constantly itchy. Thinking it was something I was allergic to since I had recently moved, I continued to use them. One morning, for whatever reason, I didn’t do my usual eye drop routine. Later that morning I realized I wasn’t rubbing my eyes. My “aha moment”! I didn’t use the Ultra drops again!"

Linkie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): "I usually use Thera Tears but picked up the new Systane Balance on sale. I thought I was going crazy but my eyelashes started falling out! I couldn’t figure out why until I switched back to Thera Tears and they’re finally growing back. Never again!"

mskimrose · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2019

Refresh (ocular lubricant): "I found out I had dry eyes from my optometrist a few years ago when she recommended Refresh Optive and Refresh PM ointment. Had good success with both. When I finally went to an ophthalmologist, he suggested Restasis, so I have been using both drops for a couple years now and am very pleased with how my eyes feel. I had to stop using the ointment when it clogged a duct and my eye hurt and got red."

Hudson · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2019

Systane Balance (ocular lubricant): "Was told to try systane balance after cataract surgery that resulted in dry eye. This drop is white and oily and blurred my vision. I was using it to clear blurred vision due to dry eye...not make it blurrier. Going back to Refresh Plus Preservative Free. I was hoping systane balance would help, but not for me. The Systane Ultra irritates my eyes too."

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease