User Reviews for Ocular lubricant ophthalmic to treat Dry Eye Disease

Also known as: Systane, Artificial Tears, Systane Ultra, GenTeal, Refresh Tears, Refresh, Lubricant Eye Drops, TheraTears, Stye Sterile Lubricant, Refresh Optive, Dry Eye Relief, Celluvisc, Refresh Relieva, Soothe XP, Systane Balance, Systane Complete, GenTeal Tears Severe, Refresh Liquigel, Systane Nighttime, Bion Tears, Refresh Plus, Oasis Tears, Soothe, FreshKote, Refresh Classic, Lacri-Lube S.O.P., Isopto Tears, Systane Hydration PF, Akwa Tears, Liquitears, 20/20 Tears, Visine Tears, Lubrifresh PM, optive, Refresh Relieva PF, Lacrisert, Systane Ultra Preservative Free, Tears Again, Refresh Celluvisc, Refresh Optive Mega-3, Hypotears, Tears Naturale, Tears Naturale II, Puralube, Systane Overnight Therapy, Opti-Free Rewetting Drops, Oasis Tears Plus, Opti-Free Pure Moist Rewetting Drops, Puralube Tears, Clear Eyes Outdoor Dry, Clear Eyes Natural Tears Lubricating, Clear Eyes Contact Lens Multi-Action Relief, Natural Balance Tears, GenTeal Twin Pack, Refresh Lacri-Lube, Viva-Drops, Visine Tired Eye Relief, Visine Tears Long Lasting, Refresh Optive Advanced, GenTeal Tears Moderate, Duratears Naturale, Adsorbotear, Aquasite, Artificial Tears Plus, Comfort Tears, Natures Tears, Hypotears P/F, Aquasite Artificial Tears, Moisture Drops, Refresh PM, Duolube, Hypotonic Tears, Twenty Twenty, Blairex Just Tears, Tears Naturale PM, Hypotears Select, Tears Naturale Forte TheraTears Contact Lens TheraTears Liquid Gel GenTeal Mild Visine for Contacts Ultra Fresh For Sty Relief Ultra Fresh PM Altalube Moisture Eyes PM Refresh Contacts GenTeal PM GenTeal PF Refresh Endura Moisture Eyes Visine Pure Tears Lubricant Eye Ointment Refresh Digital Refresh Digital PF optive Sensitive …show all brand names

Ocular lubricant ophthalmic has an average rating of 2.9 out of 10 from a total of 133 ratings for the treatment of Dry Eye Disease. 18% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 77% reported a negative effect.

Ocular lubricant ophthalmic Rating Summary

2.9/10 average rating

Compare all 66 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

Reviews for Ocular lubricant ophthalmic

Old Sore Eyes February 7, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “Systane Side Effects possibly the preservative Could not see to drive at night. • Blurred vision • eye redness or discomfort or other irritation not present before use of this medicine • increased sensitivity of eyes to light • matting or stickiness of eyelashes • swelling of eyelids • watering of eyes”

Mina August 27, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I had a PRK vision correction surgery 6 months ago. My doctor recommended Systane and gave the individual package samples. I was fine with and couple of months ago I bought the Systane lubricant long lasting. Recently I starting seeing streaks if lights like lighting on my left eye floaters. I am also having sensitivity to light. I went back to my doctor and he couldn’t see anything wrong bit sent to Retina specialist who told me he sees bubble liquid but nothing else wrong with my eye. I came to read the reviews tonight and I shocked to see someone has experienced same symptoms. I am going to stop using it immediately and I hope the floaters and lighting will clear not to I have been dizzy. I will write back in a week.”

DallasPA · Taken for less than 1 month August 23, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I have recently started using this to help with eye lubrication from mild dry eye. I have use refresh in the past & recommended this too many patients over the years. This product (Systane) has made my eyes burn TERRIBLY! This has led to blurry vision & headache. I will not be using this & cannot in good conscience (based on my own & many others’ experiences) recommend this to anyone else either.”

Stupid · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 8, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I started using using these Systane drops a few months ago. I have since stopped because they have damaged my eyes with stinging, floaters and terrible dulled vision. I hope this will warn people not to use them and I hope the FDA will do a complete study on them.”

Ida · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2021

Systane (ocular lubricant): “My doctor suggested using Systane 4 times a day for dry eyes. After the second dose I felt terrible, my eye was tearing non stop and had burning and stinging sensations as if there is a sand rubbing against the eye. The eye became very red and very sensitive to light and the vision was very blurred and feels like a white fog covering the eye sight! I stopped it right away and it feels much better. I read the leaflet that came with and it stated that these symptoms and lots more as side effects of this drug.”

Callie · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “Went to purchase Refresh Tears (have been using for 9 yrs) and discovered the store was no longer carrying them. I purchased Systane Ultra and used it that evening. I then continued to use twice a day. On the third day my right eye was irritated, and my large floater was more irritated and painful. I put in the drops several times that day, but to no avail. I consider the product harmful to my eye, and a waste of my money.”

PerryB · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I’ve developed Scleritis as a symptom of Lupus, which is an inflammation of the whites of the eye. My doctor said I should try Systane. Today I just figured I’d try the Systane, although I’m not suffering from the symptom at the moment. My eyes started burning and I couldn’t keep my eyes open and had to flush them with water! Terrible product. Definitely informing my doctor. Big waste of money.”

Starr August 13, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I have tried Systane a couple of times before which was doctor recommended. This time I tried Systane Complete and my eye became very irritated and itchy. I, first thought that I may have gotten dust in my eyes until using it one last time and my eyes begun itching badly. I have discontinued using this product. The numbers on the bottle are #308314F Expiration date of 05/2020 and also another number under the label # H15175-0418. I did not see a contact number so I'm leaving this comment.”

Luckyndonna · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 30, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I have used Systane for years but got the new Systane Complete for dry eyes and it is like putting fire to my eyes burns terribly. Idk what is in these that causes this but it also does my husband's eyes the same way. Will not recommend this one to anyone”

wobbles · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 18, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I've been on these eye drops since 2014 when Hypo Tears went off the market. My dry eyes were never really helped by Systane and I found out recently that they're a big cause of my frequent migraines. I didn't connect the Systane to my headaches until my mom mentioned she was getting bad headaches after using Systane. I stopped them for a few days and the migraines dropped considerably. I've since switched to a no-name generic eye drop I found at Walmart and haven't had any issues at all with it. Wish I'd made the connection between the Systane and my migraines before now because it's been five long years of pain for me.”

Lyra Kind · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “For dry eyes, using the Systane gel drops at bedtime, and comparing to Refresh or Blink gels, I notice a definite burn, possibly the preservative. The worst is that my sight is blurred like Vaseline coat after using- can’t see/focus at all for over an hour to set the clock or read. Other gel drops equalize in 5 minutes or less. Second worst, my lashes are stuck together in the morning so, just to open my eyes, I probably pull out lashes. My eyes feel slightly better the next day after gel on lashes is showered off but still mostly unacceptable for me.”

Nada January 20, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “My Eye doctor suggested to try Systane Complete. I was happy to try new Systane. However it cause severe itchiness of my eyes. It doesn't help me at all. Just wasted my money. I recommend first to try sample. Not to be in situation in which I am. I am very disapointed.”

Summer · Taken for less than 1 month July 8, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “My optometrist prescribed Systane Ultra for mild dry eyes. I started using them occasionally as needed. Then a doctor advised that I should be using the eye drops twice daily and 2 drops in each eye. After the second day my dry eyes became severe and I went to an eye specialist who advised I also had blepharitis. This product made my eyes severely worse with an added chronic condition that has affected my vision and balance. It took only a few uses to cause severe eye problems. In my experience this product should not even be on the market and if used should be used with extreme caution. I`m sorry I ever used it.”

DeeLee · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “Diagnosed with dry eye and Blepharitis. Doctor gave me Systane Complete to use for dry eye. It made my eyes burn and very uncomfortable. I threw this stuff away, as anything that makes you that uncomfortable can't be any good. Not going to use Systane products from now on.”

ML November 4, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I had surgery for a cancerous tumor under my left eye. After it healed from plastic surgery it became extremely dry to the point I could hardly keep my eye open. I used Thera years and did not work. I used SYSTANE BALANCE and I hardly ever feel like something is in my eye. Best drops I have ever used. I put them in 4 times a day.”

mskimrose · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 16, 2019

Refresh (ocular lubricant): “I found out I had dry eyes from my optometrist a few years ago when she recommended Refresh Optive and Refresh PM ointment. Had good success with both. When I finally went to an ophthalmologist, he suggested Restasis, so I have been using both drops for a couple years now and am very pleased with how my eyes feel. I had to stop using the ointment when it clogged a duct and my eye hurt and got red.”

GSC September 21, 2018

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I have dry eye and I used Refresh gel and liquid, that worked for me. However, a friend told me to switch to Systane and I notice that my eyes keep getting dryer by the day. I woke up with my eyes red and feeling like there was sand in my eyes, and very itchy all through the day. I decided to go back to Refresh two days ago and my problems went away. I will never use anything but Refresh again Systane damage your eyes in my opinion.”

GR · Taken for less than 1 month August 20, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I have used Systane ultra and it does a fairly good job but then I bought the two bottle container of Systane Complete thinking it would be even better. Not so. My eyes became irritated, crusty goop on the lids after waking up in the morning. When I stopped using it, my eyes did not have these symptoms.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2018

Systane (ocular lubricant): “My Eye doctor gave me systane drops to use for dry eye. About Two weeks later my vision became very blurry and when I looked at anything digital it was double and triple vision. After a complete eye exam it was determined my retina and optic nerve were fine. The only thing he could come up with was at a microscopic level the cells of the cornea might behaving some inflammation. In the meantime I switched to Refresh tears. About 3 months later my blurriness was getting somewhat better. I went out of town and forgot my eyedrops. My friend had her systane drops with her,, (I still hadn't connected the dots yet) so I used them. The following week my blurry vision was back just as bad as it originally had been! There is no doubt that it is caused by the systane product.”

Anonymous July 15, 2018

Systane (ocular lubricant): “Horrible horrible product. After a week of use my eyes became extremely irritated, itchy, puffy, and just all around uncomfortable. Eyes would feel good for 1-2 hours after use, but then feel horrible, more dry and worse than before. Definitely some sort of rebound effect.”

RGM · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “Optometrist said to try this Systane for dry eye and blurry vision. Did not help blurry vision (I'm diabetic). Stung badly in one eye, and now have a small pimple in the corner of the eye. Also experiencing unusually large and more visual floaties. Also experiencing different kind of floaty, like about 1/4 of my eye has an area of very blurry vision that floats in left eye. Also experiencing random, white streaks flashing in the dark, even when eyes closed, like lightning strike at the edge of left eye. Most of these cleared up 3 days after stopping Systane. Will report to Optometrist.”

Valerie · Taken for less than 1 month March 17, 2018

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I have gotten broken blood vessel in my eyes two or three times. I was wondering if it was from the systane drops. I just started using them recently as my eyes were dry. Has anyone else had this side affect.”

Linkie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 28, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I usually use Thera Tears but picked up the new Systane Balance on sale. I thought I was going crazy but my eyelashes started falling out! I couldn’t figure out why until I switched back to Thera Tears and they’re finally growing back. Never again!”

SBe · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

Systane (ocular lubricant): “I’ve only used these drops a few times for my dry eyes, as doc recommended, but what I find is they seem like they are just “sitting on top” of my eye without actually absorbing for a long time. Does not feel hydrating, more like irritating. I don’t have any problems with itching or burning, but they do seem to make my eyes blurrier after I put them in for quite a while, and my eyes will not focus as well. Last night, when I was driving home at night after using these about an hour prior to that, it was harder to see and the lights had more of a halo effect. I have had much better luck with simple artificial tear drops.”

Czxemie · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

Systane (ocular lubricant): “Use it to clear my dry eyes and thought it's doing good. But no...I am experiencing blurred vision now. Reading all the reviews I have proven it is from the use of this systane balance eye drop. So sad...instead of helping my eyes it made it worst.”

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease