User Reviews for Xiidra

5.3

139 reviews
Summary of Xiidra reviews 5.2 156 reviews

Reviews for Xiidra

For Dry Eye Disease "These drops gave me blurred vision, a horrible headache. Made my eyes water and my cheeks hurt. I only took it four times. The headache took two days to go away. The side effects list is long"

Diane (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I’ve been using Xiidra for about two months. I have chronic dry eye that was not relieved using Restasis and over the counter remedies. Xiidra has worked amazingly well for me. Much less overall discomfort and I am not waking up at night to put more drops in for the first time one years. However, about a week ago I developed a pain in the very back of my throat that hurts worse when laying down and bending over. Not sure it’s related but I can taste the xiidra so I know it’s going down the back of my throat. Has anyone had this?"

Jb (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Although two different specialists prescribed Restastis for my eyes, my prescription insurance obviously has a sweetheart deal with Xiidra, which they insisted was more "cost-effective" and needed to be tried first. After a first month on advocating for Restasis, my physicians and I gave up and tried Xiidra in the hopes that it would in fact be effective. It was not. I used it religiously for three months, during which it burned on application every time and never did anything to relieve either pain or dryness. After this wildly failed trial, the prescription company FINALLY approved Restastis, which the opthamologist tells me takes an additional three months to show results. Because my work requires so much reading, I have been on disability and do not know if my employer will continue to hold my job after 4 wasted months on Xiidra."

tough customer (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I've been on Xiidra for a week now (2x daily). The actual fight to get the prescription approved was almost not worth it. It is also still very expensive-go on their website and get the coupon! In terms of effectiveness, my eyes actually do feel good. They don't feel as dry or have a burning sensation anymore. As some other commenters noted, the taste sensation is terrible. It drains down your throat nearly all day. At some points, it's bad enough to make me gag. The very first day I used it, I did have the burning/stinging upon usage and my vision did get blurry for about 5 minutes but I haven't had that sensation since. I can fill this under the coupon at a retail location 3 times before I have to start filling at expressscripts, which will drastically increase the price. I will really need to see a huge benefit in my eyes and a decrease in the taste sensation, because it makes it nearly unbearable, to continue to fill the medication after the retail pharmacy fills."

MH (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Only on day 5, and am already experiencing relief. I’ve struggled with dry eye for years to no avail. I don’t find that it burns or distorts my vision, but there is a bad after taste. The bad after taste is nothing compared to the relief it brings, though, so I’m going to continue."

meems (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I've only been taking Xiidra for a few days. I have had very little side effects such as burning or itching as other people have reported. My right eye still gets a little goopy but that occurred before I used Xiidra. My eyes are not as bloodshot and less irritated. I will continue using Xiidra."

Heckley (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "After Lasik, my eye doctor prescribed Xiidra for dry eyes. I took the drops 3 times, one drop in each eye. I called my doctor after taking the drops for the third time & told her my vision was becoming more blurry by the minute it seemed. She told me to continue taking the drops over the weekend & to call her office on Monday. I did not take the drops again, because I felt the drops were damaging my eyes. I went to the doctor & was advised my vision had changed. I now have to wear glasses all the time. I will be calling a lawyer."

Ali (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I started a year ago on this for severely dry eyes. It stings, causes blurry vision for a few minutes, white discharge. The terrible part is the horrible taste down your throat anywhere from 1-4 hours after applying. It really helped me as I was using artificial tears 3-4 times per hour at work. Now I'm back to the same condition so am going to wean off. Guess it only works for so long. Besides gives you no clue into the long term consequences because they are too new. Trying warm compresses & massaging my inner eyes to see if that will help. Trying home remedies at this point."

DJ (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I started using them last week and my dry , stingy, red eyes have gotten better."

Anna (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been on Xiidra for two months. I have chronic dry eye due to hypothyroidism. I use Xiidra twice daily (morning and night). The initial sensation of the stinging is strong and painful and is accompanied by itching. Then I have a lovely white discharge from each eye. After the morning dose, my vision is severely compromised due to blurriness that extends an hour or longer after administering the morning drop as well as continued dry eye symptoms throughout the day. After having used Xiidra for a few weeks, I noticed horrible puffy eyes. I have not used the Xiidra in a few days and already the puffiness has greatly subsided. I will opt for over the counter drops as opposed to Xiidra which didn't do anything but cause my eyes to swell. Hope this helps others experiencing similar symptoms/side effects."

blondiebluelights (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 28, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "In addition to the side effects noted in these other posts-- the stinging, the gooey AM discharge, the blurriness, the irritation to my throat and larynx, the cough, the inappropriate tearing on one side only, I've also experienced significant changes to my voice (a potential disaster for a singer/voice actor). When I mentioned this to my physician and expressed concern that my symptoms were beginning to mimic those of two friends who had died of esophageal cancer-- and wondered aloud if the T-cell inhibitors might be going systemic-- she suggested I quit and see if I noticed a difference. Five days later I am up at 3 AM with the most distressing itchy, aching, coughing, post-nasel drip I've ever experienced in my life. Unable to sleep, I came to this site to see if this might be a common withdrawal symptom or if the awful sensation in the back of my throat is just a coincidence. (I've not had a cold in decades, and my nasal tissues are not affected.) "

ahansen March 28, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have - at the age of 64 - 20/15 in one eye, 20/25 in the other. For the first time, I have a dry eye problem. The doctor prescribed Xiidra. I used it ONE TIME. Never again. The burning and itching made me feel as though I poured acid in my eyes, the taste in the back of my throat was HORRIBLE - for HOURS, and I had blurry vision for about 10 minutes. Why would I do this twice a day? Why does a medicine that is supposed to make my eyes feel BETTER make them feel so much worse?"

JanP (taken for less than 1 month) March 26, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Helps with redness but the blurring persists long enough to make it hard to find 25 minutes in the morning when I can use it before seeing properly. Bedtimes are not a challenge usually."

Lozi March 25, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Great for my left eye but my right eye has excessive tearing. It waters all day. Going on week 4. I’m not sure what to do."

Shelia (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "After a routine eye exam Oct 2016 , I was told I had 20/20 perfect long distance vision and only needed glasses to read small print. My Dr prescribed Xiidra for my dry eye. After taking it for only 4 days I had permanent blurriness. Immediately went back to my Dr who tested me and confirmed my long distance vision had been compromised in those 4 days. After endless tests revealing damage to my cones and macula and a year and half later my vision has not improved and I need glasses at all times. Long term consequences are unknown. I am seeing a lawyer about this."

Lalibnew (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I'm being fitted for scleral lenses. My vision is great in the morning but slowly gets worse during the day. My doctor prescribed Xiidra to help keep the lenses moisturized. I tried it for 4 days. The stinging and blurry vision kept getting worse. I had to stop. I may just get new glasses. Seems to be too much hassle with scleral lenses. I don't want to be on any more medicine than necessary. Xiidra did not work for me. My eyes felt terrible."

CB (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Neutral rating at this time as it hasn't been the 4-6 week yet. However the metallic taste lasts 1-2hrs and causes post nasal drip not sure if I like that and may cause me to discontinue."

Travis (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2018

For "I started using Xiidra 3 weeks ago and I'm very pleased. I noticed an improvement with my dry eyes immediately. Previously I had used Restasis, but it stopped working for me and my eyes starting to sting more frequently. I finally told my eye doctor that I needed to try something else. My husband had started using Xiidra and he had good results, so I decided to try it too. With Xiidra, I can open my eyes in the morning without reaching for the eye drops. My eyes sting for just a few seconds when I put Xiidra in. It does slightly blur my vision for a few minutes, but then I'm fine. I don't notice the blurring unless I'm on my computer or cell phone. I would recommend it."

Minnie2018 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2018

For "I too started using the product and liked it. Had been about 1 month. But I was waking up with swollen eyes and getting a white discharge from my eyes even after washing lids before hand. I could taste the product going down my throat which makes me wonder if the product is stopping T cell “ fighter immunity cells” from working in the eye and it gets ingested by going down the throat, what is it doing systemically? Is it stopping the T cells from working in your body. Coincidentally I caught a very bad cold and my body was unable to fight it. The company could not explain to me if this was a possibility and I brought up the fact that if someone had HIV or immune system deficiency could it harm them? They said it would be up to the doctor.. buzzz WRONG ANSWER.... I am not going to be a test subject...."

New Orleans Lady March 6, 2018

For "This product made my eye feel like it was on fire in addition to having a rock in my eye. I actually thought that I had damaged my eye. For this to be considered a first line choice is ludicrous."

Erica (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

For "Used for only 3 Days. Not long enough to tell if effective. Metallic aftertaste, post nasal drip, short period of blurred vision, strange urinary odor. Going back to OTC meds."

DD (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2018

For "Burn my eyes had to use cold water to wash eye out and it was still burning"

Toni (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

For "Prescribed this 2X daily with Lotemax for the first month 4X/day. Had a bad reaction to Restasis so my optometrist suggested Xiidra. Xiidra's fine print actually is a bait and switch - it claims $10/mo thereafter at the top but ONLY if insurance covers the rest. BCBS is $250/mo- cannot afford. No difference 8 weeks later, night time dryness is WORSE - and this is with more lid scrubs and fish oil, plus a humidifier in the bedroom! The packaging is wasteful and user unfriendly - I can usually get 2 days' worth but why bother as I can't afford to get more nor is it improving dry eye. PS my optometrist never bothered telling me that perimenopause or taking hormones (ivf, hrt, etc) can cause dry eye in women. Not only am I getting off this I'm also changing eye docs to someone who actually knows these things."

A (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 24, 2018

For "I used Xiidra for 4 mos (Sept 2017-Jan 2018). At first the only side effect was the after taste which dissipated but not completely. In January my eyes started extreme watering and looked like I was constantly crying. Since December I had developed a post-nasal drip and cough as well as started feeling dull pain in my liver and started losing hair. I decided to stop one month ago and eyes feel good by just using Refresh optiva daily. All the side effects stopped almost immediately after discontinuing Xiidra. I would not recommend this product as it suppresses the immune system and is too new so long-term effects are not known."

dryeyeAnnie (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2018

For "I just start taking it two days ago and so far it burns my eyes and I have blurred vision and it takes 30 minutes or longer for it to go away. So far there has been no relief with my dry eyes. I will post another review after I have been on it longer."

S.E.C February 17, 2018