User Reviews for Xiidra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Xiidra.

Dry Eye Disease
5.5

Summary of Xiidra reviews 5.5 111 reviews

Reviews for Xiidra

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been on Restasis since it became available years ago. It made life tolerable and I didn't need any additional drops. Now my lousy insurance company (Anthem) will only allow Xiidra which has not worked and my eye condition is back to where it was 12 years ago. In addition Xiidra causes burning for a long time and gives me headaches. I don't know how long I can tolerate this or how long before it is supposed to start working. I am almost to the point of buying the effective Restasis without insurance coverage."

PartialRecall (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I agree with the other reviews published here. 1) single use applicators are unnecessarily old fashioned and wasteful. Those of us with lifetime eye conditions experience a wide array of applicators dispensing a wide array of meds. 2) Xiidra (Shire) vendor wants our "business" but fails when it comes to learning the needs, wants, and desires of (users). An authentic interest in their patients in the form of personalized queries just might unveil how the product can be improved and more user-friendly."

Stephen Q (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "The liquid generally sticks at the end of the vial, so you have to "flick" at it to push it towards the tip before twisting off the cap. Xiidra leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for a good 30 mins. It causes watery eyes for about the same time too. 2 times every 12 hours can be a pain. Some days I forget and end up doing it once every 24 hours. It's been 4 months now and it's help a little bit. Won't know for sure if my dry eyes are "cured" after 12 months of use. We'll see when I get off it."

SH2017 November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Started using xiidra for my dry eye condition. I do have burning in eyes and a short term taste in my mouth after the drops. I can handle this and need to be on this for awhile to see the results. My problem is the packaging. Delivery is bad. Sometimes only enough for one eye. Product not consistent. I look forward to good results with xiidra but for the cost need to have enough product to supply both eyes and a better way to dispense."

Anonymous November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have had dry sticky eye's for 4 months no relief from anything over the counter. Doctor prescribed xiidra 4 days ago my eyes feel so much better."

Lori Schulz (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Tried Restatsis, but it did not work. This seems like a much stronger medication, but it definitely works much better. In combination with lid washing, hot compresses, and switch to thinner daily wear contact lenses, my dry eye problem is manageable."

Desert Eyes (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Took for 3 weeks, halfway through I started getting headaches, lightheaded and terrible burning in both eyes. I stopped yesterday, burning still and lightheaded. No more Xiidra for me."

McDuckster (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have used Xiidra now for 4 months. My experience is "wow!". I finally don't need to use any other eye drops. I even survived the smoke and very dry air in Southern California (2% humidity) with just Xiidra alone. I highly recommend it!! You may end up getting more tears than you wanted and yes, it does sting when you drop it in for a few minutes! All that is worth it!"

AngelaAStanton October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I had been on Restasis for a couple of years with no noticeable improvement. I was also trying different types of punctal plugs. Allrex steroid drops, too. No help. My insurance changed this year so I had to find a new ophthalmologist. He suggested Xiidra. I've taken it about a week and it may be helping. He suggested I put a drop of Refresh Optive gel drops in before the Xiidra to help with burning. That helped a lot. Hardly any burning. The first time I took it without the OTC drops it was so painful. Eyes hurt and I got a bad headache around my brows. I wouldn't have been able to continue. I will keep trying the xiidra. I've also ordered PRN fish oil capsules that was recommended. They can be bought on the web."

Arizona Linda (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Helps dry eye - but generates Terrible long-lasting bitter taste in the mouth, that stays for 4-6 hours or even more) and makes Every food or drink taste bad. I called Shire and they know that this is an effect of the drug - but they have no Idea what causes it or how to counter it. So - we cannot even know for sure that this is not a long-lasting damage to the taste bud or to any other important function. The longest clinical trials were for 12 months. Thus any long-lasting damage is not known. The thought is troublesome and so is that bitter taste."

SLMH September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have had dry eyes for about 4 yrs and had been on Restasis for about 3 years. I also have Myasthenia gravis (MGS). Redraw is did not work well for me and my eyes were always red and dry. It was to the point where I could not wear my contacts or tolerate any direct air like a fan. I live in Arizona where it's really dry too. When I heard about Xiidra, I asked my Optometrist for an Rx to see if it would work for me. The difference was immediate. There is a taste with it but it has gone away and there is some burning. My doc also suggested I continue with the Restasis since the two drugs work differently. My eyes are doing much better, the redness is gone and I can see better."

La Pinta (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I used Xiidra for three weeks. In the third week my eyes were extremely red and sore. I stopped using the drops in the third week. I have more floaters now too. If you have floaters I wouldn't use Xiidra."

Yellow fish (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been on Xiidra for 5 months now and very happy with the results. I was waking up in the morning could not hardly open. And they hurt like heck. Used two kinds of OTC stuff nothing. Put me on Xiidra and ointment and night. Feel like normal again. Thank you still have a little burning every now and then and blurry vision for about 10 mins, well worth it for my eyes to feel this good again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "My thoughts so far. I've been using Xiidra for 3 weeks now. I have Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD). I have tried antibiotics, lid scrubs, expression, miboflow, warm packs, tea tree oil, fish oil, punctal plugs, Restasis, etc. So far I'm very happy with Xiidra. Starting seeing a slight improvement at day 9. Cash price at my Walmart pharmacy was $576 per month. My insurance does cover this medicine. I'm using the insider card and my 1st month was free. Tubes are smaller and harder than Restasis, but I am not having trouble with them. If I turn the tube over and squeeze and nothing comes out, I just invert the tube a couple of times and it works. Only slight burning and bad taste but not a big deal. No other problems. Happy so far! I would recommend."

CCD1975 September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Xiidra helps me but not so much with my dry eyes , it 's expensive I just call Costco to reorder and I need to pay $350 with coupon ! , it's not caovered by my insurance :("

Analuc September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I find Xiidra very effective. My vision is briefly blurred for about 15 minutes after use, but I just plan accordingly. The biggest problem I have with Xiidra is that the delivery mechanism is difficult to use. The drops are difficult to get out, and if you shake the vial between drops, a drop comes out and is wasted. I used to use Restasis. While Xiidra is more effective for me, the Restasis vial had a far superior delivery. Perhaps the Xiidra vial opening should be slightly larger."

Dot in Maryland (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "At least 3 out of every group in the silver packaging..... I CANNOT GET THE LIQUID TO COME OUT!!! At first I thought it was a fluke, but that has been consistent through 5-6 months. Very frustrating. ALSO, there is barely enough, when it does come out, for a drop in each eye. How about changing the tube and adding a little bit more!!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I recently suddenly got dry eyes. I could not work at my computer for more than 30 minutes and could barely stay up past 8pm as my eyes were just so exhausted. The doctor recommended Xiidra. I am only on day 4 and it seems to be working well. I am down over the counter drop 3-4 times a day vs. 6-8 times. The bad taste does last 3-4 hours for after applying the medication. My eyes do burn for 1- 2 minutes after application and I have trouble with the applicator. My husband usually puts in the drops for me. In addition to this medicine, I take 2 fish oil pills a day. In the morning and before bed, I use over the counter eye drops and do a hot compress for 5-10 minutes. This helped make my day to day manageable."

igandhi (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I had dry eye and my optometrist modified my monovision Rx to use only a single contact lens, since my reading vision was only minimally impaired. This has worked great for several (2 - 3) years now. I changed doctors, and he wanted me to use Xiidra. I have only been using it for a week so far. I have seen no 'improvement' in symptoms I was not experiencing. I have blurred vision in my contact lens eye for a while after applying the drops, and have a bad aftertaste that lasts for quite a while. This on top of not experiencing any symptoms for a while now; I don't see this as an improvement. and may not continue."

Nancy PLF (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I'm 56 with dry eyes since my 20s. Eyes always red like I've been crying. Been using moisture drops for 30 years. Had a reaction to the preservative in the drops, switched to preservative free Retain, only at Walgreens, $23 for 30 vials. Helpful, not a cure, used them 6 to 8 times/day. When waking, eyes were always painfully dry. Tried EVERYTHING. Last month I started on Xiidra. Helps a little, when I wake I actually make a bit of tears. Eyes are still very red and irritated. Taste no problem, burns/itches a few minutes after applying, but goes away. Still use moisture drops but not as often. Retail $585/mon, but Xiidra coupon for 1st mon free and $10/mon for as long as I use them. Wouldn't use if had to pay full."

RedEyeGal (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "If you have trouble getting drops out, try this. Shake a little before opening. Then slightly tilt the vial and squeeze. Shake a little again if drop still won't come out. I believe tilting the vial instead of holding straight up is the answer. Hope it works for you."

Amgr August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "This is the worse medicine I have ever tried! It didn't take a week for me to have such a violent reaction I didn't dare try it again. My eyes immediately burned and I couldn't stand any light, plus my eyelids felt like they were stuck with glue and didn't want to work right. I immediately went back to my doctor and listed my complaints. I have been on so many antibiotics and other drugs to try and get rid of the effects of this drug and NOTHING has worked. In addition to all the other drugs, I have been sent to other Ophthamologists and Neurologists! They were all determined that I had Dementia, or a blood clot behind my eye- only the right one went crazy! I have had to wear an eye patch and use moisture drops since the very first day !"

Ginniescat3 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "So far XIIDRA has been very effective for my dry eyes. HOWEVER, their is not enough medication for two eyes, only one. Therefore I'm forced to use two capsules. For what we pay for this, they could at least put an antiquated amount in each capsule."

Tdhrly1 August 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been using Xiidra for over a month now and the first couple of weeks I was ready to throw it away! But, I had some pink-eye issues that I was associating with the medicine-which obviously was not the case. I am a teacher and I have been back at work for three weeks now and I can definitely tell a difference!!! Am I 100% cured? No...but I feel so much better than I did at the end of the school year last year! I am so exited about this medicine and feeling pretty normal again!!!"

Cbeal (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have severe dry eye due to MGD. I had tried Restasis, but producing tears wasn't my problem, it was the lipid layer that keeps them from evaporating, so Restatis did nothing for me. Before Xiidra, I couldn't even carry on a conversation without closing my eyes. I couldn't be in a room with a fan on even though I live in Phoenix. I quit reading books, limited my computer time, and generally quit doing many things I love, like sewing or anything involving my eyes, just about everything!! I know it doesn't cure my condition, but at least I can forget about it now. I am so grateful for Xiidra"

GG Gail (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 12, 2017