User Reviews for Xiidra

Dry Eye Disease 79 reviews 124 medications

5.1
Summary of Xiidra reviews 79 reviews 5.1

Reviews for Xiidra

For Dry Eye Disease "I used xiidra without incident for one month. I let a week lapse and reordered. On the 5th day I experienced horrible burning-much worse than the regular burning that occurs when the drops are inserted. My eye swelled and crusted. I went to Duke cornea center and they couldn't find the cause. The next day I woke up and my right eye's vision had diminished considerably. They worked me into a different Dr. that day and she prescribed liquid steroids for my eyes-again no conclusive cause - but noted the decreased vision. I am slowly getting my vision back in the eye. I knew the minute I put the drop in something was different this time. I will report this to the FDA-I feel strongly this was an allergic reaction to Xiidra."

Meg24 July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have only been using this for a week and my eyes hurt all the time and they have been a scary red. My optometrist brother says to give it at least two weeks! When I wake up at night, I can't hardly even open my eyes because they are so stinking dry....isn't that the purpose of these drops-not to be dry???? I am not sure if I can continue for two weeks....my eyes hurt so bad!! Plus, I just knew this would work...I fought hard to get this approved by my insurance!!! Not really sure what I am going to do...being a teacher with dry eye disease is difficult!!!"

JuneBug50 July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have dry eye because of pterygium on my eyes from the sun. For about 2 years I have been using over the counter drops at least 6 times a day and very little help. Eyes hurt and irritated all the time, and hard to open my eyes in the morning. I started using xiidra 2 months ago and eyes are back to feeling great again. The burning is just about gone and a little bad taste but worth it. Thank you so much."

Buckarol July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been suffering with dry eye for almost 8 years, not explanation why. I don't wear contacts, I am now 51 y/o I have tried restasis for 3 years on and off and did not help, when I got the xiidra sample I was extremely happy, for a first time I was not squinting, I could open my eyes easy after sleep, the bad taste did not bother me, I rather have that bad taste than dry eye, my Dr give me enough samples for 2 months but after a month 1 - 2 I started to have my lower lids burning so bad to the point of pain. I have to quit this drop sadly. I don't know why was so wonderful in the beginning."

DryDi (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I've been using this for about 7-8 months now. Can actually wear my contacts again for the entire day and rarely use any OTC drops like systane. Has really changed my life. I did notice the stinging over time gradually increased but my friend that's eye surgeon suggested to put them in fridge. I leave the box in fridge now and apply cold and it takes all the sting away. Actually feels very soothing."

AshleyNW July 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been using xiidra for about two weeks and am very happy so far. I previously used restasis and am definitely having better results with xiidra. I was advised to put pressure on the inside corner of my eye for about 20 seconds after application to eliminate any aftertaste which works for me. I do experience burning but it subsides within minutes. My eyes are less red and more hydrated. I agree with other reviewers the plastic applicator is stiff but I manage to get the first drop out easily and the second one after giving the applicator a good shake (once pointing tip down) to move the remaining drops to the tip so it can come out easily. My only complaint now is the exorbitant cost! Thankfully my first month was free."

Silvercar July 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have experienced dry eye for over 8 years. Restasis did no good. I went through all the steroids, salves, gel drops with no luck. Even tried 2 years of having my blood drawn and drops made from my blood serum. I was using OTC (Systane) drops every hour all day long. Tried Xiidra and at first it was like a miracle but the longer I used the drops, the burning got worse and the blurring lasted up to two hours afterwards. I also think the vials are too short, not enough medication and the vials too hard to press. My eyelids have gotten so they feel paralyzed and I have difficulty opening my eyes. The liquid "gums up" my eyelashes and it's very difficult to wash the stuff out. I am going to try 1 time a day instead of 2 times."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Having just started this product, my symptoms have lessened. I experience some burning at first, but that goes away soon. My main complaint is the single use vial is nearly impossible for me to use. The plastic is so stiff and small, I cannot use enough pressure to squeeze the drops out of the tube. I have RA and my hands and wrists are compromised, so I am finding it very difficult and frustrating to give each dose. I have used Natural Tears in the past and have no trouble dispensing those single use tubes. The plastic tube is longer and softer, allowing me to apply enough pressure to squeeze out the drops. I may switch to the competitor brand because they do offer a multiple use bottle which would work better for me."

Dustyrds2 July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I've always had slightly dry eyes but it was tolerable until after I had Lasik. After a couple of months, the doctor suggested I try Xiidra. The first couple of weeks seemed ok but I could feel any improvement. The doctor said I should continue with OTC eye drops and ointment. After about 3 weeks though, my eyes began itching, like I have never experienced. It was intolerable. I wanted to rub my eyes out. I wasn't sure if it was the medication or allergies so I stopped the medication. It's been a few days now and my eyes are feeling better. Still dry but not the crazy itching."

ScottD95 June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Have to admit I was afraid to try Xiidra after reading so many negative reviews on the web but decided to give it a go as I have suffered with dry eye disease for many years. My eyes were continuously irritated and inflamed, despite using moisture drops all day long and having punctal plugs. To my surprise, since trying Xiidra, I have very little in the way of side effects and if I do have them, they are tolerable and go away pretty quickly. Even more unexpected was some noticeable relief in the first 2 days. It's been about one month and the relief is substantial. There are moments I feel like I could almost wear contacts again!"

chatesd June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have used Xiidra for 3 weeks. I'm starting to feel the difference. I now use otc drops 2x per day as compared to 5 or 6. I also wear eye shields that keeps the eyes moist They are wonderful. I use the black onyix. The combination of night time eyeshields and Xiidra are making a difference."

Tarboy June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I've been on this product for a little over 2 weeks and so far I'm pleased with what it's doing for me. In the first 3 days, I did have some excessive watering but that has since subsided. The amount of dryness/discomfort I normally feel has improved considerably and I no longer have general eye pain due to the dryness. I still get a tiny bit of discomfort after staring at the computer screen for hours on end but even that's improved somewhat. As for side effects, I did have mild headaches for the first few days of using Xiidra but they have since subsided. Also, there is a bitter aftertaste that was quite strong when I first began using the drops. Even that has improved significantly to where it's noticeable but hardly intolerable."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Packaging is god awful. The drops don't come out at all or you spend 5 minutes trying to get them out. Haven't had any improvement yet."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Finally, a relief to dry eye. I was able to wear contacts again! I downloaded the Xiidra card and had the first month free. I was so happy that it worked! I went to refill it and it's $506!! I have a high deductible insurance plan ($4,000). Sadly, I had to leave it behind. No way on earth I could afford that monthly. Back to glasses.....shame on the pharmaceutical company to charge to much for an eye drop!"

works, but can't afford it (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been on Xiidra for about a month and have had good results. My dry eye was not being well controlled using conventional OTC eye drops and at night I used ointment. My vision had deteriorated to the point where I could not see street signs while driving and eventually it became almost impossible to read a book or newspaper. I am paying a fortune for the medication but it appears to be working, my vision has improved and I am only using other OTC drops twice a day on average. I only have some blurring for a few minutes after the drops but no other side effects yet. Not sure how much longer I can afford to pay for it but I am enjoying the results while I can. I will update my experience in a month."

Mr. Moonlight (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I find it nearly impossible to get the drops out of the hard plastic packaging! After multiple attempts, a drop finally does come out but sometimes then my hand has moved a little and it doesn't go into my eye. Incredibly frustrating. I use Systane all the time without any problems. This medication is expensive, but why is the packaging terrible?"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I have inflammation and severe dry eye and I have been using xiidra for just under two weeks. I have been instructed to only wear my glasses for the first two weeks so I haven't noticed much improvement. I go back to the eye doctor in two days to see if xiidra is working for me. I have to use the drops once in the morning and once at night and I have noticed the drops don't burn at all first thing in the morning. But the evening use of them burns like crazy!! I'm on day 12 and this burning in the evenings is not letting up! I really hope it gets better and less painful to use the drops. I definitely experience the blurred vision after the drops and a little bit of a taste in my mouth. No nausea or headaches"

Megan8211 June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "eyes made more blurry, scratchy, gummy. Lasted for over an hour. Used samples only, never picked up prescription because I was dissatisfied with eye drops."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Worst packaging - horrible. Mild improvement of dry eye after 2 months"

Vantis (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Tried this medication for 14 days and began to feel ill. Stopped the medication immediately but the next day came down with a mild sinus infection. Five days later and I am now on 3 medications having been diagnosed with bronchitis and sinusitis as well as a severe case of laryngitis. I believe the illness is a direct result of the medication as I have not been exposed to anyone with a cold. I have had bronchitis and sinusitis before but never together and never had it manifest so quick."

Made me sick (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "Sjogrens disease causes extremely dry eyes. Restasis didn't help. Xiidra made my eyeballs hurt, and my headaches and sinusitis got much worse. The initial burning is very bad. After 6 days, the metallic taste and nausea became worse. My eyesight and dryness were showing no signs of improving, so I stopped using Xiidra after 8 days. Would never recommend it."

Abbrax May 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I am 53 and have dry eye disease due to an upper and lower lid surgery 3 months ago. Went through a few rounds of steroids along with artificial tears non stop all day. Nothing seemed to be working to relieve the constant tightness, redness, irritation. Started xiidra 3 weeks ago and another round of steroids. It does sting initially, plus a bad taste others mention which both disappeared within 5 minutes. Eyes are more clear and not as irritated. Not 100% yet, but it works for me. Other items I can suggest are a humidifier at night, Muro 128 drops/ointment by Bausch and lomb for night, retaine dry eye relief."

Astrolicious May 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome 8 years ago and my worst symptom is eye dryness. My doctor told me about xiidra about 8 months ago and I have been using it ever since. My dryness has improved significantly! I had a terrible taste in my mouth when I started using it and while that hasn't totally gone away, it is definitely not as noticeable. The results have been amazing and I really don't think I could live without it now. Almost every time I blink, tears form. That has never been the case for most of my life."

Kait0517 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I almost go for natural product when it comes to cosmetics or just about anything, maybe over the counter drops aren't that effective, but at least they don't sting my eyes like xiidra! I seriously don't know what kind of chemicals they put on those drops but man they burn like hell and my eyes are bloodshot for about 15 minutes along side blurry vision" I stopped using immediately after one use so I can't speak about effectiveness when it comes to treating dry eyes but I will continue exploring other dry eye reliefs"

Ihatedeyeyes (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Dry Eye Disease "I've been on this medication for 1 month. My eyes have the burning sensation that last for about 30 minutes after application. I find the plastic container very difficult to use. It is very small and the plastic is extremely stiff. I have RA and pinching to get the drop out is almost impossible for me. The worst part is the tearing that I have NEVER had before. It last for a few hours, and my eyes are crusted every morning when I wake up. I'm not very pleased with this new RX."

Jill of the Hill (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2017