User Reviews for Xiidra

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Xiidra.

Dry Eye Disease
5.6

Summary of Xiidra reviews 5.6 124 reviews

Reviews for Xiidra

For Dry Eye Disease "Since my first review about 7 months ago, be working good. But a couple weeks now only in the morning my eyes were burning bad. So I started putting just lubricated drops in a half hour and makes it a little better. I also use eye ointmint before bed. Hopefully this burning goes away in the morning."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have had dry eye in right eye only..since using xiidra now I'm having issues in left eye. Now both eyes tear...since using this med I feel as if it has gotten worse...help!!!!!"

Steph mellon January 13, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Update after leaving my 1st review. I left a review after being on Xiidra for 3 weeks. It has now been 5 months. I'm still happy with the drop. I really don't have trouble with the tube. Burning and blurriness are only very minimal for me. I'm still seeing about the same results as before. Some improvement (more than anything else that I have tried and I have tried everything!). I have the Xiidra Insider card which was 1st month free and $10 a month after that. I will continue to take this medicine until I stop seeing results. It may not work for everyone but everyone should try it. I saw results after 2 weeks."

CCD1975 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Been on medication for 2 months now. I have cheated the system by using 1 drop in each eye in morning and putting same vial back in foil pouch and get 1 drop for each eye in evening. The severe burning/itching is almost intolerable at first then it dissipates. I have been doing a lot better on it except for after 2 weeks of single digit temperatures when I started getting keratitis again. Back on steroids. Have plugs in lower lids. Also, sometimes 20-30 min after applying, when I a. On the way to work I notice extreme blurry vision out of nowhere. Liability?"

Raqu (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Been using for 3 weeks. Stared using Lotemax plus Xiidra and my eyes were getting better. Once Lotemax stopped, inflammation returned. Xiidra stings, causes funny taste and I have white discharge from eyes and incredibly red skin on upper and lower eyelids. I too worry this drug is too new on the market and we are guinea pigs hence the $10 coupon bait and switch going on. Plan to stop using."

Jen NYC (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I’ve been in Xidra for three weeks. I get the initial burning, but it doesn’t last. I’ve been experiencing sore throat, insomnia and increase in body temperature. My eyes are still very dry. I’m going to discontinue. This is a new drug and I don’t think there have been enough studies to understand the long-term ramifications of its use."

Heather73123 December 28, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I have Meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD) and was on Restasis for the last few years, I’m 30 and have never really found something that works well to totally treat it. I take fish oil, sauna, hot compresses and gel drops. Started Xiidra a week and a half ago, so far my eyes feel better, but there is a stinging for a while and bluryness. Started getting a headache and pain in my left tear duct, excessive tearing and kind of sticky lid with blurry sight. Will have to continue to access it and following up with my eye doctor if it doesn’t get better."

Blondestac (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Bad taste but improves over time. Severe headache but again..improved with continual use. Then right eye started excessive tearing and running down my face. Stopped med for two days and got better then restarted. Two more weeks then right eye started excessive tearing again... and face broke out in rash.. looks like new onset Rosacea so made appointment with dermatologist and eye doc. Never had any issues before starting this med. Really worried now....should have waited before starting a brand new med before it had been out long enough. I am a pharmacist and know better."

Skyburst (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I love the medicine, but why don't they listen to the customer's concerns and put it in an easier vial, so you won't lose a drop. Because if you do it like they tell you, you have to put it in foil and put the other drops in your eyes later and they stick. I am not happy that they don't listen to all the customer's complaints and I read a lot of them. How the Xiidra sticks to the plastic for $600 dollars a month!!! Thankfully I pay 95 dollars a month. They should put it in a better applicator. It works great on my eyes, I am upset with the applicator. What do they think that they don't have to listen to the customer's ideas on a better mechanism to put the drops in your eyes?"

James Babydoll (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Been taking it for 2-3 weeks and Xiidra is working wonderfully. Unlike what some people say, there is plenty of fluid inside one vial for 2 drops in each eye. The bitter taste is not really bad, and the blurriness just lasts for a couple of minutes or so. I have not had red, itchy eyes for most of the day, when I just take OTC eye drops once or twice. I am very happy about the $10 per month payment because I would not be able to afford it otherwise."

Balbo (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Have tried Xiidra twice. The first time for about 4 months. It did not seem to make a difference, so I stopped. Started again a month ago as soon as the dry air came back. Still no improvement. It stings a bit when I first put in the drops, but the worst part is the blurry vision for 15 - 30 minutes."

monty1212 November 30, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I'm on Xiidra for 4 weeks and have seen significant improvements. I can go outside in dry air of winter and my eyes are always wet. I have my all tear ducts plugged and expect two of them would be deplugged after a few months of use. Satisfying medicine!!"

Wanchi (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been on Restasis since it became available years ago. It made life tolerable and I didn't need any additional drops. Now my lousy insurance company (Anthem) will only allow Xiidra which has not worked and my eye condition is back to where it was 12 years ago. In addition Xiidra causes burning for a long time and gives me headaches. I don't know how long I can tolerate this or how long before it is supposed to start working. I am almost to the point of buying the effective Restasis without insurance coverage."

PartialRecall (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I agree with the other reviews published here. 1) single use applicators are unnecessarily old fashioned and wasteful. Those of us with lifetime eye conditions experience a wide array of applicators dispensing a wide array of meds. 2) Xiidra (Shire) vendor wants our "business" but fails when it comes to learning the needs, wants, and desires of (users). An authentic interest in their patients in the form of personalized queries just might unveil how the product can be improved and more user-friendly."

Stephen Q (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 10, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "The liquid generally sticks at the end of the vial, so you have to "flick" at it to push it towards the tip before twisting off the cap. Xiidra leaves a bitter taste in my mouth for a good 30 mins. It causes watery eyes for about the same time too. 2 times every 12 hours can be a pain. Some days I forget and end up doing it once every 24 hours. It's been 4 months now and it's help a little bit. Won't know for sure if my dry eyes are "cured" after 12 months of use. We'll see when I get off it."

SH2017 November 6, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Started using xiidra for my dry eye condition. I do have burning in eyes and a short term taste in my mouth after the drops. I can handle this and need to be on this for awhile to see the results. My problem is the packaging. Delivery is bad. Sometimes only enough for one eye. Product not consistent. I look forward to good results with xiidra but for the cost need to have enough product to supply both eyes and a better way to dispense."

Anonymous November 5, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I have had dry sticky eye's for 4 months no relief from anything over the counter. Doctor prescribed xiidra 4 days ago my eyes feel so much better."

Lori Schulz (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I have autoimmune arthritis, ocular hypertension and seasonal eye allergies, and all cause dry eyes. I have used every OTC tear drop, gel & ointment, and lid scrubs, and I run a cool mist humidifier while sleeping. Constant burning and stinging, feeling like my eye lids were stuck to my eyeballs, and cloudy, blurred vision. For years I looked like I had been crying all the time, or drunk! I started xiidra about 3 weeks ago, and it is helping a lot! Yes it stings for a moment. I have also gotten a slight headache after use, but that is getting better as I get used to the drops. No problems using xiidra with my pressure drops, just wait 10 mins between. So far I am happy. Glad insurance covers it, I have a $50 copay for $600 prescription."

Shaykae (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Tried Restatsis, but it did not work. This seems like a much stronger medication, but it definitely works much better. In combination with lid washing, hot compresses, and switch to thinner daily wear contact lenses, my dry eye problem is manageable."

Desert Eyes (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 15, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Took for 3 weeks, halfway through I started getting headaches, lightheaded and terrible burning in both eyes. I stopped yesterday, burning still and lightheaded. No more Xiidra for me."

McDuckster (taken for less than 1 month) October 12, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I have used Xiidra now for 4 months. My experience is "wow!". I finally don't need to use any other eye drops. I even survived the smoke and very dry air in Southern California (2% humidity) with just Xiidra alone. I highly recommend it!! You may end up getting more tears than you wanted and yes, it does sting when you drop it in for a few minutes! All that is worth it!"

AngelaAStanton October 11, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I had been on Restasis for a couple of years with no noticeable improvement. I was also trying different types of punctal plugs. Allrex steroid drops, too. No help. My insurance changed this year so I had to find a new ophthalmologist. He suggested Xiidra. I've taken it about a week and it may be helping. He suggested I put a drop of Refresh Optive gel drops in before the Xiidra to help with burning. That helped a lot. Hardly any burning. The first time I took it without the OTC drops it was so painful. Eyes hurt and I got a bad headache around my brows. I wouldn't have been able to continue. I will keep trying the xiidra. I've also ordered PRN fish oil capsules that was recommended. They can be bought on the web."

Arizona Linda (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "Helps dry eye - but generates Terrible long-lasting bitter taste in the mouth, that stays for 4-6 hours or even more) and makes Every food or drink taste bad. I called Shire and they know that this is an effect of the drug - but they have no Idea what causes it or how to counter it. So - we cannot even know for sure that this is not a long-lasting damage to the taste bud or to any other important function. The longest clinical trials were for 12 months. Thus any long-lasting damage is not known. The thought is troublesome and so is that bitter taste."

SLMH September 30, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I have had dry eyes for about 4 yrs and had been on Restasis for about 3 years. I also have Myasthenia gravis (MGS). Redraw is did not work well for me and my eyes were always red and dry. It was to the point where I could not wear my contacts or tolerate any direct air like a fan. I live in Arizona where it's really dry too. When I heard about Xiidra, I asked my Optometrist for an Rx to see if it would work for me. The difference was immediate. There is a taste with it but it has gone away and there is some burning. My doc also suggested I continue with the Restasis since the two drugs work differently. My eyes are doing much better, the redness is gone and I can see better."

La Pinta (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 27, 2017

For Dry Eye Disease "I used Xiidra for three weeks. In the third week my eyes were extremely red and sore. I stopped using the drops in the third week. I have more floaters now too. If you have floaters I wouldn't use Xiidra."

Yellow fish (taken for less than 1 month) September 23, 2017