User Reviews for Xiidra

Dry Eye Disease
4.3

Summary of Xiidra reviews 4.8 81 reviews

Reviews for Xiidra

For Dry Eye Disease "Xiidra burns my eyes so badly for about half an hour after I use it. My eyes are super blurry and red for a couple of hours after use. When I get up in the morning I always look like I have pinkeye, with the redness, watering, and crusty eyes. I also have the horrible taste in my mouth, but it goes away pretty quickly after drinking something. In the morning it burns the worst and my eyes stay puffy all the time. I really don't think I'm going to keep using this medication. It's not worth the side effects."

Redeyes (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I had been on restasis for years with no problems. My dr. gave me a pamphlet which I was supposed to get the xiidra free the 1st month, then $10.00 thereafter. Didn't work. It cost me $95.00. I've used for over 3 months and my eyes stay blurred for up to an hour after instilling. Upon I initial application, they burn and the taste is horrible. My vision after stopping this, is now much more blurred and worse than when I started. I'm glad from the reviews since people have good results; however, I would not recommend from my experience. Now I'm stuck with an expensive product I can't use or get a refund!"

Pookie (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I tried Xiidra on and off for a couple of months. I thought it might have been helping my dry eye, but also experienced the terrible taste in the back of my throat. I tried the suggestions when putting in drops - closing eyes, pressure on the inner corner, etc. Two nights ago, I put in drops right before bed. The next morning, shortly after waking, I started noticing the terrible taste. Tried several things to get rid of, but it was still there 18 HOURS later. In addition, my stomach was upset all day, including cramps and diarrhea. I think I'll go back to trying to treat it naturally "

Samantha (taken for less than 1 month) September 27, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "This drug has worked wonders for me. My eyes feel so much less dry and painful. My only side effect has been a mild bad taste in my mouth occasionally. I highly recommend it."

St September 23, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I took xiidra last year for dry eyes. It never really helped. Then I developed horrendous reflux and throat issues. Thought those tiny drops wouldn't do that but stopped anyway. It took 6 months for reflux to get under control. Have not had reflux in months. I restarted xiidra about 2 weeks ago and now I am hoarse again and today have horrible reflux. I can say that xiidra now is definitely the cause."

sjg (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Burned my eyes. Blurred my vision. Led to a full blown sinus infection. Quit using the drops. Not a good experience."

ann (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I had been on Restasis, and hadn't had any trouble with it, just the occasionally severe dry eyes that comes with Sjogren's Syndrome, when my insurance company, Medicaid, decided to switch me to Xiidra. The burning and stinging was so bad it literally staggered me the first time I used these drops, my eyes hurt like crazy for an hour after and were so blurry I couldn't see. The pain was so bad that I didn't use these drops again for several month. I just made do with OTC drops till I got worse, then tried Xiidra again, determined to push through and give it a couple of months to see if the pain eased up any after awhile. It did not, and I tried getting Restasis again but my insurance won't cover it and it's $1800/month otherwise which is completely undoable for me. So I don't know what I'm going to do now."

Cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 11, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "This drug completed saved my life. I had tried EVERYTHING for extremely painful dry eye - Restasis, supplements, warm compress, etc. I honestly didn't have high hopes for Xiidra, but after a week, my eyes didn't bother me anymore. Whereas my eye pain used to run my life, I don't even think about my eyes anymore. Please give it a try- yes, it did sting horribly for the first few days, now I don't feel it when I put them in."

Jan (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I love this eye drop. I suffer from severe eye disease. This really has helped me tremendously I’m confused about other posts about side effects? I didn’t suffer from any of them"

Amg (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 7, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "After two weeks I started feeling tears again. I luckily don’t have the nasty taste like others. My only side effect is blurry vision for about 10 minutes and the corners of my eyes itch a little at first. Other than that I am really impressed- except for the price! Wow!"

Rah (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I took Xiidra for nearly three months. I seemed to have constant low grade irritation/pain near the inside corner of my eyes while taking these drops. Eventually I got what my doctor thinks is a tear duct infection, where my left eye was bloodshot, painful and swollen for about a week. The pain/pressure was so bad that I had to take 800mg Ibuprofen 4-5x a day and would wake up in the middle of the night. I've never once had something like this before taking these drops. I'm sure this isn't a common issue (not trying to scare anyone away), but this along with the lack of improvement of my dry eye caused me to stop taking these."

NickS (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 4, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I started using Xiidra several months ago after suffering with eye problems for a few years. My eye doctor finally suggested Restaisis but it was not covered on my insurance yet the newer drug was. I noticed improvement within a week after starting the drops. And for a few months it was like my eyes were brand new. They'd not been so good in a long time. I was very pleased. However about a month ago I noticed that my eyes were occasionally bothering me again. Nothing as bad as before but enough to make me think the drops were not as effective either. It's been a gradual thing but I have to say that now I'm not sure if they will be helpful in the long run. I was wondering if others have noticed good results at first but then finding the medicine gradually not working as well."

Norm (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I was on Restasis for over 10 years and my new insurance refused to continue to pay for it. Without any eye drop I felt like there is always sand in my eyes and making tears was non existant. They would pay for Xiidra so I tried it. I also take fish oil and flax seed oil as well as using Thera-tears. When any eye drops are stored in the refrigerator the burning is less. I tried Xiidra for 2 weeks and the side effect were too much for me to continue. The burning was too much from Xiidra and I can only say it was like perhaps battery acid. I had 3 hours of blurry vision after using Xiidra and the taste was horrible. I cannot use Xiidra and only wish I could go back to Restasis....My eyesight is everything to me and I will not risk these side effects because I do not know what would happen long term....."

Joanne (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been using xiidra for about a month and a half. I noticed improvement immediately but alas I am right back where I started. The positive results were short lived and the cost is prohibitive especially for someone on a fixed income."

San (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been on Xiidra for about a year now. I tried everything, OTC drops, fish oil, flax oil, zpacs, warm compress, lid scrubs, taping my eyes shut, eye ointments. I have been on lotimax so long that I developed an allergy to it. Then my doctor gave me a prescription for Xiidra. I had triple vision from the scar tissue. The top two lines on the eye chart were barely visible and what I saw looked like Egyptian hieroglyphs. My eyes hurt, constantly. It felt like I had boulders in my eyes. Every morning was unbearable, my eyes felt like bandages being ripped off just from opening my eyes. After about two months, I could open my eyes without pain. Dry eye was disabling and stealing my vision. Xiidra saved my vision and has provided much needed relief. Xiidra tastes like battery acid, feels like it to! I wouldn’t be able to see today if I didn’t have Xiidra. I do highly recommend staying strong and push through the side effects, in the end it worth it."

K C (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 28, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "My eyes continued to get more watery and red, very uncomfortable. Didn't feel well at all. All at once got serious case of reflux, which I had never had before. Seemed like the product caused drainage into sinus, on to throat area. Realized xiidra may have been to blame, quit using, my eyes' extreme redness, watering ceased immediately."

Mick (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been using Xiidra for almost 5 months. I have severe dry eye disease so I put up with all the side effects thinking it would help in the long run. Last night 2 minutes after I put one drop in my right eye it began to bleed. Not a little - a lot. I got it stopped by holding a clean cold wet washcloth on it. That took about 10 minutes. The left eye was fine. I have crusty stuff on my eyelids most of the time. Even soaking with warm water on a cloth does not completely get rid of it. That stuff gets in my eyes and keeps them irritated. I think my dry eye condition is better for all that trouble. I am waiting now for my eye doctor's office to open and also the drug store to ask if I should stop using this drug."

Connie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I had Lasik about 7 years ago for reading. I felt the effect was wearing off and I was beginning to need reading glasses once again which I just dread. I started using Xiidra about 3 months ago and the effect was immediate - I longer need glasses. My eyes do tear for awhile so I just take it at night and lay down for 10 min in the afternoon for 2nd dose. It's expensive but I make 1 vail last for 2 doses, so not so bad, better that glasses! Love being eye glass free!"

Mary (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Been using Xiidra for a month. It does help my dry eyes but the side effects are pretty bad. Immediately after instilling the drops my eyes burn, blurred vision for at least 30 minutes, crusty eyes, excessive tearing that lasts for s couple of hours and last but not least it feels like I have a sinus infection. I was hoping for success as the dry eyes are miserable."

Texasgirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Can’t believe how it helped me after trying so many other drugs. This is the best by far "

Jojo August 20, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "With only 2 first drops yesterday I experienced all the above symptoms the other users mentioned in the above comments: stinging, bad taste in the throat, headache . My husband is a Family Physician , his advice was: stop it immediately. I understand now why they give me 1 month supply of Xiidra for free. Will try Restasis."

B.B. (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have tried every dry eye treatment in the book - artificial tears, nightly warm soaks, coconut oil, Restasis, punctal plug lasering, etc. I agreed to try Xiidra, even after reading the terrible reviews, because I was desperate. I lasted 1 month - the amount of time my eye doctor said it would take to kick in. Every time I inserted the drops, my eyes burned. The morning drops caused white discharge in my eyes, but the night drops did not cause this. I experience blurry vision - to be expected on an eye drop for short periods of time. I also had the metallic taste in my mouth every time I used the drops - also an expected side effect. My dry eye did not improve, and it actually got even worse by the end of 1 month. My eyes are now permanently red and feel swollen and painfully dry. I was stubborn and opted to stay on this drug for the full month, in hopes that eventually it would "kick in" and improve my condition. I just hope my eyes can recover."

Fed Up (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I had mixed results, noticed improvement after 1 mo, more during 2nd mo (no more sand-in-the-eyes pain, no more double/triple vision that kept me from reading/doing close work). HOWEVER. After 3rd renewal, my eyes began to tear endlessly, like a faucet turned on and couldn't turn off. Had to keep tissue at hand to endlessly mop up the mess. I quit xiidra. Took almost 4 months before improvement. It's now 5 months since I quit and my eyes finally no longer tear constantly. But now I am beginning to feel the onset of dryness again. My Dr couldn't answer questions about the drug. I don't know where to get info, and I wonder if anyone and can provide info. My ?s: 1) Does anyone know why the drug causes endless tear production in some cases? 2) Can dosage be mitigated to prevent this? 3) Does one have to take xiidra for the rest of their life, or is there an end point to treatment?"

L August 14, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I was put on xiidra 4 1/2 months ago I feel my eye are blurry all day now and getting more blurrier than I have been - but my eye doctors say it is working but I don't feel it is doing anything at all"

Tanky (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I tried every eye drop on the market to no avail. My eyes were red, itchy and painful. The next step was my eye doctor. Steriod eye drops and a couple of more prescription eye drops did nothing. Next came the plugs. 75% improvement but still itchy. Xiidra has been a life saver. A little burn and blurry vision is worth being able to seeing crystal clear again. No pain or itching and I have moisture in my eyes again."

Little lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018