User Reviews for Xiidra

Dry Eye Disease
4.1

Summary of Xiidra reviews 4.9 58 reviews

Reviews for Xiidra

For Dry Eye Disease "I was put on xiidra 4 1/2 months ago I feel my eye are blurry all day now and getting more blurrier than I have been - but my eye doctors say it is working but I don't feel it is doing anything at all"

Tanky (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I tried every eye drop on the market to no avail. My eyes were red, itchy and painful. The next step was my eye doctor. Steriod eye drops and a couple of more prescription eye drops did nothing. Next came the plugs. 75% improvement but still itchy. Xiidra has been a life saver. A little burn and blurry vision is worth being able to seeing crystal clear again. No pain or itching and I have moisture in my eyes again."

Little lady (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I started Xiidra this week and after reading a bunch of reviews and asking my DR, I put the package in the fridge to keep them cold and have not experienced too much burning although I do get blurriness for about 15-20 minutes after putting the drops in. I too have noticed that it drips down my throat and has an awful taste. I haven't noticed much of a difference but was told to use this until I get approved to try Restasis. I also understand that to see a difference I would need to use this stuff for a couple of months. I have noticed that my eyes aren't as red as they were but I'm not so sure I like this stuff since finding all these bad reviews."

Mel (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Had the same burning and blurriness as others have stated after using Xiidra. First day seemed to work. But every time I used Xiidra I noticed a nervous jittery feeling come on me 10 min after applying drops. Then a headache in the top of my head. And after 3 days noticed my cheeks were swollen and red. I am stopping Xiidra and going back to OTC Rohto Eye Drops for dry eyes."

Mitch (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I used Xiidra in my right eye only for about one week. Before using Xiidra, my right eye was so dry at night, I had difficulty opening the eye. Artificial tears did not work. Today, less than two weeks after starting the trial drops, my right eye only top lid is swollen at the lid margin, tender to painful to the touch and similar discomfort upon moderate blinking/lightly squeezing eyes shut. My doctor suggested, and I had been doing heat compress, tobradex, steroidal ointment and a zpack. It does not itch, the eye is not red, I never had a problem with the metallic taste, the xiidra did seem to help my nighttime problem more than the artificial tears. I do find the new Systane in the white box is the best artificial tear so far but if using more than 4 times a day it has to be preservative free and I have not looked at that yet."

this is not my real name (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Was so desperate I used for over 2 weeks despite all the burning sensation, blurred vision & redness it caused me. All these symptoms lasted for approximately 1 hour after use. I tried putting A LOT of eye drops to get some relief, symptoms got a little better but not much. Forget about wearing makeup."

Cindy (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I was hesitant to try Xiidra based on the negative reviews, but my doctor convinced me to take it. There was definitely a strange metallic taste that seemed to always be there. My eyes began to improve after a couple of days, therefore I thought it was worth continuing the drops. My throat always felt like it had a tickle sensation and I began to have a raspy catch in it, similar to other reviews. After the first week, I developed a full sinus infection. While I can't prove it, I am convinced there is a link to Xiidra since I had symptoms matching so many others. I rarely get sinus infections, especially in the middle of the summer. I understand the negative reviews of Xiidra now and have stopped using the drops completely."

Greg (taken for less than 1 month) July 31, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I currently use xiidra, although I ran out and I can definitely feel the difference. Xiidra makes my eyes so much less itchy and painful, and it makes it so much easier to wake up in the morning when I put in my eyedrops. Also makes my eyes look less red and makes me feel more refreshed. Yes, sometimes it burns putting it in but I just put in over the counter eyedrops and then it's totally fine. 10/10 recommend."

Jacqueline (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 18, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have had these symptoms using xiidra: blurry vision, bad taste down my throat, crusty eyes , nausea. It did help the dry eyes as they felt well lubricated. I do not want to develop other harmful issues with my throat, stomach and taste buds. I used this product for only about 5 days ....by the way, did anyone else find that you could not even squeeze out a single drop for each eye from one ampule? Compared to restatis, the ampules have more than enough for both eyes and my eye doctor said I could even keep the unused portion of restasis if kept hygenic for the next application. I will switch back to restasis which doesn't work as good but supplement with omega supplements and refresh advanced version eyedrops. It is thick and helps....I'm glad I'm not the only one and that it is not "all in my head"....thanks all"

fish July 10, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "It burns in my eyes for 30 minutes. It has not helped at all with my dry eyes. It makes my blurry vision worse. They need to find what causes dry eyes and the eyes drops that can cause more harm to eyes is not good ."

Tanky July 10, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "On day 7 of use in my right eye only, that eye started tearing badly throughout the day. I discontinued use that night. The next day I had a pain in my eye area next to my nose so severe I could barely function. The next morning my eye began producing pus like discharge and was weeping and blurry all day. I still had extreme pain in the eye area near my nose. The following morning I woke up with severe puffiness around that eye and still very tender. Later that day I broke out in a rash on my chest (this is the third day after stopping taking it). I was hopeful for this medicine to help my eye problems, but the side effects/allergic reaction was much worse than the original problem. Very disappointed. I did give it a two, because in the beginning I felt like it might have been helping."

Lili (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I took Xiidra for 1 month. I was very optimistic about the drops because I had been in so much pain with my eyes at night and getting no sleep. I had blurriness after applying but then came the taste & the nasal drip down the back of my throat. It seemed like each time I used it, the drip feeling & the taste got worse & worse. Then after about a week or so, I noticed my eyes were staying red & irritated more throughout the day & sensitive to light. I even went to an after hours clinic thinking I had a sinus infection because of how severe the feeling was every night. I couldn't bear it any longer. I stopped after a month & was so devastated. My Dr didn't like that I didn't give it at least 2 months (he said that's how long it takes to 'kick in') & I practically begged him to let me try restasis. Xiidra was a terrible experience for me."

cb July 6, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I have been using Xiidra for about 3 months. It is the best think I have ever used. My eyes do sting as soon as I put the drops but this goes away after a few minutes. Also, my vision is blurry for a short while. I wear daily contacts and have to wait for the blurriness to go away (about 15 - 20 minutes) before I insert the contacts. But for the first time in decades , I don't feel like I have broken glass in my eyes. I can wear my contacts all day without them hurting and itching and without constantly adding moisture drops. To me, this is an amazing drug. But it did take 2 months of daily use before I saw this great result."

Onyx (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Xiidra causes some stinging, discharge in the morning and had a gross taste, but my eyes have never felt better! I was constantly putting drops in my eyes and sometimes my eyes were so blurry and dry, my glasses didn’t even help me see. This drop has been a real life changer for me!"

Megz (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 29, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I tried using Xiidra but the intense burning (even after refrigerating them first) and blurriness did not result in any change in my dry eyes. I have Rosacea in the eyes and my vision changes frequently, depending on how dry my eyes are at that moment. I have suffered from blepharitis, which I alleviated soaking my eyes with warm water and washing them with baby shampoo. I'm now trying Restasis. It's interesting that Xiidra's main ingredient is cyclosporin, which is used in transplant patients to prevent organ rejection and is an immunosuppressant, which lowers your immune system. My doctor told me about autologous serum, or plasma from your own blood, that is having awesome results on dry eyes. It's not covered by my insurance yet but, hopefully, it will be in the future. It's taken from your own blood so there's no side effects and it's full of vitamins, growth hormones and other awesome, natural things."

Deb June 27, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I took xiidra for a couple months and then stopped because I was losing sense of smell and taste. I have been off medicine for at least 2 months now or more and my sense of smell and taste have NOT came back. I have been to my ENT and he said it's probably due to the Xiidra. I will go see a neurologist just to make sure nothing else is wrong but I am not on any other medicines and xiidra taste bad"

Kelly S (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I've been using Xiidra for about a week. So far, I am very disappointed. My eyes sting and itch most of the day and my vision is blurry for a long time after application. When I wake up in the mornings, my eyes are puffy and kind of sticky. I'll try them for a little longer, but I do not feel very optimistic."

Allie (taken for less than 1 month) June 20, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "After using Xiidra for a couple of weeks, my dry eyes felt great...better than anything before. Of course I was warned about the bad taste of Xiidra but what I didn't expect was the horrible cough and hoarseness to my voice. After determining it was the drops contributing to this cough and voice change and NOT allergies or a cold, I was torn because my eyes felt much better. At the advice of my Dr., I started putting pressure in the corners of my eyes so they didn't drain down as much. This did not help and my cough and voice change got much worse. I've since stopped the Xiidra and seen an ENT. He couldn't say for sure that the drops caused my issues BUT did say if they can change your taste then they are definitely effecting other things in your throat. I, 100% believe they are the cause to my throat issues. I gave it a 3 out of 10 rating because they did help my eyes BUT not worth dealing with my bothersome cough and voice change."

MAGreen June 18, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I had high hopes for Xiidria. The drops did produce tears which made my eyes feel better. However, they also gave me an unbearable headache. I also experienced burning in my nose and throat. The headache, however, was absolutely the worst. I cannot continue to take Xiidria. I am so disappointed and I still have no solution for my painful dry eyes. I will ask my Dr to try to get Restasis approved by my insurance company. Has anyone had good results without side effects with Restasis?"

Freida (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I just got these drops today. They seem to lubricate my eyes but I have an intense headache and burning in my throat. I also feel nauseous. The Dr originally prescribed Restasis but the insurance company did not go for it. I can not tolerate the headache from Xiidria so I will use OTC drops until insurance lets me try Restasis. I had high hopes for this medication but it is not for me."

New Patient (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I've been using Xiidra for about 45 days. I thought I was getting a bit of improvement. My eyes were so dry they're affecting my ability to drive. I'm desperate for improvement and the docs I've seen, including two ophthalmologists, don't seem to have any suggestions. Restasis did nothing for me. Docs have suggested that bio-identical drops are worthless for most. I really want this product to work. That said, I've had side effects that seem only to be getting worse the longer I am on the Xiidra. Terrible taste that occurs after administering the drops and at random times. I awake feeling nauseated, as if I want to vomit. These symptoms are NEW and coincide with the addition of the Xiidra. On Xiidra, my eyes feel heavy, puffy, and I look as if I've been crying or am hung over (I don't drink). Though I hate to give up on the Xiidra, I believe it's time to throw in the towel on the Xiidra."

Acidanthera (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "Restasis became too expensive so I tried Xiidra. After just a few days, less than 1 week, I began to have headaches & felt tired & sick. My eyes dripped sticky tears constantly & I felt like I had a very bad sinus infection. The bridge of my nose, at the corner of each eye, was very tender & slightly swollen & itchy. It has taken 4 days to start to feel better & for symptoms to subside. Going back to Restasis & pay the higher price."

Lara (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I received a free trial from my eye Dr and mentioned to him the bad taste in the back of my throat that others have mentioned. He suggested pinching the very top of my nose where my eyes meet the nose for about 30 seconds immediately after putting the drops in my eyes. Completely solved the bad taste problem as it allows the drops to get absorbed through the eye before they drain down to the back of the throat. Eyes feel great."

JRow (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "After 3 months of no relief on Restasis, I was prescribed Xiidra by my ophthalmologist for chronic dry eye. Almost immediately, my eyes felt great! No more gritty feeling every day. I was advised that there would be some burning after application and metallic taste which has been ongoing. I also get crustiness in both eyes when I wake up every morning but these are mild annoyances compared to the suffering I experienced 24/7 before. The only reason I can't give Xiidra a higher rating is that after 2 weeks on it, I'm waking up with red, puffy eyes and irritation (itching) under my eyes and around my eyelids. It's getting to the point that I'm now considering going off these drops. (Am I allergic to them?) Too bad because it was the only drops that worked for my dry eye, otherwise. Oh, and the cost of these drops is ridiculously expensive, even with the coupons my doctor gave to me. What's up with that????"

JPR (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2018

For Dry Eye Disease "I just started xiidra 5 days ago. For past 3 days thought I had stomach flu. Nausea and stomach cramps feeling like diarrhea is coming on. This morning I awoke at 3 am to go to bathroom. I felt great. I went back to bed and used xiidra drops before laying back down within 5 minutes I felt awful. I was spitting out the drainage and used eyewash and started to feel better. When I woke again 4 hours later I'm fine again. I have been feeling so sick I don't really know if drops are working or not. Not sure if I can continue using or not. I googled this and does seem to be a thing although doesn't tell these symptoms when I only googled xiidra side effects. Anyone else experience these symptoms?"

Cotton May 25, 2018