User Reviews for Xiidra to treat Dry Eye Disease

Xiidra has an average rating of 3.9 out of 10 from a total of 186 ratings for the treatment of Dry Eye Disease. 22% of those users who reviewed Xiidra reported a positive effect, while 59% reported a negative effect.

Xiidra Rating Summary

3.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Dry Eye Disease.

10% 19
9% 17
44% 81

Reviews for Xiidra

Nanny · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2021

“I was prescribed this due to dry eyes. Tried the first time for a few days and had severe headaches and sinus pressure. I was not sure if it was the medication so I stopped it and tried again after a few weeks. The same problems recurred but more side effects. Along with migraines and sinus pressure I also developed blisters on my tongue, metallic taste, dry, itchy eyes. My eyes also look swollen in the inner corners. After reading all the other reports I am going to d/c this medication and go back to drops.”

GF · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

“Would definitely NOT recommend this product. Immediately following my first dose of one drop in both eyes I experienced pain in my eyes, headache and blurred vision. It’s been 24 hours and no change. A waste of $45.00 and hoping the side effects clear up soon. I will be reporting my experience to the FDA and my pharmacy.”

Rosie · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2021

“WARNING! Be very careful. First time use one tiny drop in one eye to see how it affects you. I had used it for 20 days and it helped my dry eye but after a week I developed terrible side effects: sinus and ear infection, severe dizziness. I didn't make the connection until too late and ended up in the hospital after a severe dizzy spell. All tests were negative. Two months later my dry eye came back so I thought I could use it for just a couple of days. I tried one drop. I was up all night with burning, blurry eyes using eye wash and artificial tears. Nothing helped.This morning my eyes are so red and irritated. Praying they recover soon. Will never use again.”

ctbuendia · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2021

“I tried Xiidra for one week (twice a day) but I have to stop. I have constant headaches and I am very dizzy (it feels exactly like vertigo, which I have experienced in the past) I don't even know if it helped with the dry eyes because I have been using Freshkote every three hours anyway, and I didn't stay on it very long, but the dizziness and headaches make it impossible to function. Fortunately, I never spent money because I got a sample from my doctor, so I will not be filling that very expensive prescription.”

Randito · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2021

“I was initially wary when prescribing info said "don't take with other eye drops" since I've been using Rocklatan for glaucoma pressure, but relented when doc assured we "do it all the time". 4 weeks after starting Xiidra, I went in for I.O.P. check and it was up 50% and dangerous. I have taken zero NEW drugs or other factors that could have caused this dangerous spike in my pressures. Xiidra has to be culprit. Also, the packaging and method of dispensing is the most inhuman and wasteful design imaginable. 5 vials in an un-openable foil / plastic pouch that requires scissors...when you need 2 vials per day? The genius that thought this system was effective should be fired. Drug is dispensed partially on your fingers! Other users' comments are also typical: the metallic taste, under-filled vials, burning sensation. Besides, any drug you get in a box ½ the size of a shoe box is just plain ineffective”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 16, 2021

“After having Lasik surgery of which the surgeon should’ve never done it(“oh, your eyes are just a little dry but that shouldn’t be a problem” , I was diagnosed with severe dry eye which after the Lasik surgeon basically dumped me and referred me to an eye specialist and they recommended Xiidra. I’ve found out it really doesn’t do what it says it supposed to do and dries out my eyes even more. I think that ophthalmologists recommend it because because they get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical industry. If I could give the rating a zero I would.”

ellzeena · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

“DO NOT USE THIS DRUG. I just contacted a personal injury law firm who is investigating it for a class action lawsuit. IN SEVEN DAYS I went from a minor dry eye problem to FULL vitreous detachment FROM THIS DRUG. I saw two different ophthalmologists JUST prior to this happening to me and had NO SIGN of vitreous detachment. It was DEFINITELY the drug. DO NOT PUT THIS GARBAGE INTO YOUR EYES.”

Disgusted February 9, 2021

“Horrible! Initially, I had the awful chemical taste in my mouth and burning/itching in my eyes. Food wasn't tasting the same and I actually worried that I might have contracted Covid-19 (I didn't). Within 3 weeks of starting on the Xiidra sample box, I woke up to find that my eyes were running profusely. Within 24 hours, I developed an intense migraine behind my right eye. I had mucus in my eyes. The following morning, I woke to find a blocked salivary gland (swollen and painful) and sores in my mouth. I was put on a 7-day course of antibiotics even though blood work at Urgent Care showed no sign of infection. After more than 10 days, the gland is still blocked and I'm seriously wondering if it's due to excessive mucus. Through my research, I've discovered that this KY company tested these drops on dogs. My heart breaks thinking of these innocent animals suffering like I did and I am absolutely appalled.”

Concerning · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2021

“I started using Xiidra 3 months ago 1 drop both eyes twice daily. It burns on application and I have noticed that my vision acuity has changed for the worse. My eyes frequently itch and I have developed an enlarged lymph node in my neck that is hard and tender to touch. I have also developed a scalp irritation (dermatitis) that extends ear to ear from the back of my neck hair line up to the middle of my scalp. It itches horribly and wakes me up in the middle of the night. Is Xiidra causing these issues ? I don't know. I do know that I did not have these symptoms prior to starting Xiidra. My dry eye issues have improved somewhat but not enough to continue using Xiidra.”

Eyes January 30, 2021

“These eye drops are extremely dangerous. Caused me to have a horrible sore throat, swollen lymph nodes on the sides of my neck, pain in my ears, and blurred vision. This will be one of those medications that they recall because of the damaging side effects. Not on the market long enough. This should have never been approved by the FDA. In spite of the money I paid for this over priced drug, I threw it all away. Bad stuff.”

CB · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

“Took 1 dose of Xiidra and had almost immediate sinus issues. 4 days later and still have symptoms; intense pressure. Using Saline nasal spray, Tylenol and alternating warm/cold compresses that only give some relief. May try Flonase. Will not take Xiidra again and just use Optase artificial tears. It did seem to help the eye inflammation that day but not worth the side effects.”

Dry Eyes · Taken for less than 1 month January 1, 2021

“Horrible side effects! I used Xiidra for 1 1/2 weeks. About 3 to 5 days later I started getting this horrible pain in my eye socket, especially around the inner part of my eyes. The pain is so intense that I have had to take ibuprofen to help with the pain. I have had headaches, and what seems to be sinusitis. I dealt with the horrible bitter taste hoping I would get relief from the dryness, but now pain that will not subside. Making appointment to see my doctor. Called the company after I paid almost $55.00 and they will not reimburse even after advising I would send product and receipt back. CVS will also not take it back. BEWARE! If you want to try, ask your ophthalmologist for a sample. Pain, constant tearing of eyes, headache, blurry vision... Reported to FDA. Ended up going to the ER. My eyes were swollen shut. The pain was so intense around my eyes, that my prescribed Percocet did nothing to relieve the pain. Will live with dry eye any day over this experience.”

AB December 31, 2020

“I have tried Restasis, over the counter Refresh tears and gel drops and plugs. None of these have really helped. Then I went to another eye doctor who recommended I try Xiidra. I am SO glad I did! This eye drop helps with eye inflammation too (look it up!) and I have long felt this was part of my issue. I have Lupus with secondary Sjögren’s syndrome. I must look at a computer for work all day. These drops have made all the difference. In the beginning they made my eyes burn upon instillation, some dizziness, and the metallic taste...even some sinus symptoms but all of that subsided after a few weeks. I am so glad I stuck with it and gave these eye drops a chance!!”

Unhappy · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

“I used Xiidra at first a year ago. I didn't use it regularly because of the initial stinging and nasty taste that goes down your sinuses to the back of your throat. I would use it off and on for my dry eye symptoms. Eventually I used it up and didn't use it again until just recently with a new prescription. I've been using it as prescribed twice a day, 12 hours apart for the last week and a half and now I have eye floaters in my right eye, which is a huge nuisance. Also my eyes are often puffy around the lids and sticky with tears, because they are stinging. I won't use it again, especially after reading similar experiences. I can't wait for it to get out of my system. I'll go back to using over the counter drops and holistic measures at night, and when I am resting. That's all that comforts me. The back of my throat has also been scratchy.”

Don't Use Xiidra · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2020

“Used Xiidra for three days and experienced all the awful side effects and made one eye feel gritty. Now hoping the pain in my cheeks will go away after discontinuing these acid-like drops. Good thing I got a free sample before shelling out the ridiculous amount of money they want for this.”

Shanti · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2020

“I started taking Xiidra and I loved it but then I started noticing dizziness and a lot of pain in my cheeks and lots and lots of nasal discharge very soon I realized that I had gotten a really bad sinus infection and still suffering with it. Xiidra definitely worked for dry eyes but there is no way I could take it as it caused a severe sinus infection I have been having for a several weeks”

Catherine December 15, 2020

“I have been using Xiidra for about two weeks for dry eyes and ocular rosacea. I noticed improvement of how my eyes felt as early as day three. They feel so moist at last!!! I was surprised at first by the stinging upon application, but it’s gotten better. I have no mental taste, no mucous etc and no blurry vision. I split the dosage and use one drop in the morning on each eye, wrap up the dropper and then apply one more drop before bed from same vial. Because of that, I can extend the monthly amount to two months and it seems to be more sensitive on my eyes. So far I am loving it.”

stormydaze1953 · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2020

“I haven't taken these Xiidra eye drops long enough (4 days x twice a day) to see any results for my blepharitis but it didn't take me long to realize that these are almost impossible to dispense even 1 drop. I don't know why a medicine that is so expensive is so difficult to use. I give it 1 star on that reason alone.”

Jacob December 11, 2020

“It is a worthless product and appears to be a scam. There is not enough solution to get two good drops and the vials are nearly empty. It was a mistake to buy and pay a load of money for the useless product. Please don't buy it most likely will not help you”

nice guy December 9, 2020

“Xiidra is totally worthless it costs a fortune and most of the ampules are empty! Novartis Customer Service is likewise worthless...and yet they are advertising like no tomorrow with the "dry eye monster." Sad to see yet another scam during this Pandemic.”

Tennessee Gal · Taken for less than 1 month November 24, 2020

“After giving Xiidra 3 separate tries, I am throwing in the towel. Seems at about day 8 or 9, my throat is absolutely raw..my ears were full like I had a bad sinus infection. Last night was the icing on the cake. So much mucous and swollen throat, it scared me so that I called my family doc and got an antibiotic. Back to the preservative free otc drops..ugh”

Joy · Taken for less than 1 month November 10, 2020

“Application of product difficult ie leaning head down and pinching top of nose between the eyes for a long period of time... burning and pain continued for at least 20 minutes and blurriness remained for hours after application, and bad taste in back of mouth and throat for long period of time. I continued using as prescribed thinking side effects would disappear but nothing changed or improved after 20 days of use . I discontinued use and contacted my eye doctor.”

Creatress · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 30, 2020

“I've been using the Xiidra drop for a few months. I feel like my eyes are worse. In addition my eyelids itch and feel sore and I have continuing blepharitis. I am going to talk with my doctor about stopping.”

Jeff · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

“I tried Xiidra for dry eyes. My eyesight has gotten very noticeably worse in the month since I've started. I just read the reduction in eyesight acuity is a potential side effect. The metal taste in mouth is tolerable. The slight stinginess upon application on fine. But making my eyesight worse! I'm done with this junk.”

empress · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“New to Xiidra. My eyes are very dry and I get blurred vision, so my eye doctor told me to try Xiidra. After first use my head was throbbing in pain. I still used a few more days and then went off to see if headache went away. They did. I also get sinus pressure and thick throat feeling. I don’t think I can handle the side effects. Also, very expensive. It’s sad that people who have this going on have to pay so much money. ”

Learn more about Dry Eye Disease