Can Xiidra make dry eyes worse?
Xiidra (lifitegrast ophthalmic) should not make dry eyes worse. If you notice a worsening of dry eyes during treatment with Xiidra, it is important to talk to your doctor about why this may be occurring and whether to try a different treatment.
While Xiidra is unlikely to worsen dry eyes, it can cause related side effects. The most common side effects of Xiidra occur directly after the solution is administered and include:
- Redness in the eyes
These reactions generally resolve quickly.
Less commonly, Xiidra may cause:
- Vision changes
- Blurred vision
- An altered sense of taste
- Excessive tearing of the eyes
Clinical studies have shown improvement in dry eye symptoms after using Xiidra drops for 12 weeks. However, Xiidra may not work for everyone, and it will not cure dry eye disease.
Different people may experience more or less significant reductions in dry eye symptoms while using Xiidra.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Deputy Division Director Review: Xiidra (lifitegrast ophthalmic solution) 5%. October 5, 2015. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/nda/2016/208073Orig1s000SumR.pdf. [Accessed August 23, 2021].
- Patel J, Franko J. Lifitegrast Ophthalmic Solution 5% (Xiidra) for Dry Eye Disease. Am Fam Physician. 2018;98(2):119-120. https://www.aafp.org/afp/2018/0715/p119.html.
Related medical questions
- Can Restasis and Xiidra be used together?
- Can Xiidra cause hair loss?
- Can Xiidra eye drops cause diarrhea?
- Does Xiidra cause headaches?
- Can you use Xiidra with punctal plugs?
- Does Xiidra have preservatives in it?
- How long does it take for Xiidra to work?
- Can I use other eye drops with Xiidra?
- How much is Xiidra without insurance?
- How does Xiidra differ from OTC dry eye treatments?
- How is Xiidra packaged at the pharmacy?
- Xiidra Information for Consumers
- Xiidra Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Xiidra (detailed)
Related support groups
- Xiidra (12 questions, 19 members)