How long does it take for Xiidra to work?
After you start using Xiidra (lifitegrast), it may be a few weeks before you notice an improvement in your dry eyes.
- In studies conducted by the manufacturer, some patients started to feel dry eye relief at 2 weeks. For some patients, it may take from 6 to 12 weeks to feel the full effects.
- By 12 weeks, your doctor can see if the medication is reducing your signs of dry eye with an eye exam.
- Not everyone will have dry eye relief with Xiidra.
How does Xiidra relieve dry eyes?
Xiidra is designed to target inflammation due to dry eyes. It works by blocking a protein on the surface of cells that can cause your eyes to not produce enough tears or produce tears that are not the right consistency. Xiidra is classified as a lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1) antagonist.
- Xiidra [package insert]. East Hanover, New Jersey: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, 2019. https://www.novartis.us/sites/www.novartis.us/files/xiidra.pdf
- Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD, Nattis AS, et al. Lifitegrast for the treatment of dry eye disease in adults. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017;18(14):1517–1524. doi:10.1080/14656566.2017.1372748
Related medical questions
- Can Restasis and Xiidra be used together?
- Can Xiidra make dry eyes worse?
- Can Xiidra eye drops cause diarrhea?
- Can Xiidra cause hair loss?
- Can you use Xiidra with punctal plugs?
- How is Xiidra packaged at the pharmacy?
- Does Xiidra cause headaches?
- Does Xiidra have preservatives in it?
- How does Xiidra differ from OTC dry eye treatments?
- Can I use other eye drops with Xiidra?
- How much is Xiidra without insurance?