How long does it take for Xiidra to work?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on April 23, 2020.
After you start using Xiidra (lifitegrast), it may be a few weeks before you notice an improvement in your dry eyes.
- In studies conducted by the manufacturer, some patients started to feel dry eye relief at 2 weeks. For some patients, it may take from 6 to 12 weeks to feel the full effects.
- By 12 weeks, your doctor can see if the medication is reducing your signs of dry eye with an eye exam.
- Not everyone will have dry eye relief with Xiidra.
How does Xiidra relieve dry eyes?
Xiidra is designed to target inflammation due to dry eyes. It works by blocking a protein on the surface of cells that can cause your eyes to not produce enough tears or produce tears that are not the right consistency. Xiidra is classified as a lymphocyte function-associated antigen-1 (LFA-1) antagonist.
- Xiidra [package insert]. East Hanover, New Jersey: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, 2019. https://www.novartis.us/sites/www.novartis.us/files/xiidra.pdf
- Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD, Nattis AS, et al. Lifitegrast for the treatment of dry eye disease in adults. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017;18(14):1517–1524. doi:10.1080/14656566.2017.1372748
Related Medical Questions
- Can Restasis and Xiidra be used together?
- Does Xiidra cause headaches?
- Can I use other eye drops with Xiidra?
- How much is Xiidra without insurance?
- How does Xiidra differ from OTC dry eye treatments?