Can I use other eye drops with Xiidra?
Medically reviewed by Leigh Ann Anderson, PharmD. Last updated on June 17, 2020.
- Only use Xiidra (lifitegrast ophthalmic) and other prescription eye drops together if your doctor has recommended this treatment for your chronic dry eye. Some dry eye disease eye drops may work in a similar way as Xiidra and you would not normally combine them. Before you start using Xiidra, be sure to tell your doctor if you are using other eye drops.
- If Xiidra is combined with other prescription eye drops, you may notice an increase in side effects such as burning, stinging, blurred vision and eye irritation.
- In clinical studies, artificial tears were not allowed to be used with Xiidra; however, you can probably use over-the-counter (OTC) artificial tears with Xiidra if your doctor approves. You can find artificial tears at the pharmacy or grocery.
- Artificial tears are usually made of a combination of glycerin and propylene glycol and are used for the temporary relief of irritation due to dryness of the eye.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before using any other eye drops your doctor has prescribed. Remove your contact lenses before you instill Xiidra, and wait 15 minutes before you put them back in your eyes.
How is Xiidra used?
Chronic dry eye is a common disorder often due to older age or eye inflammation, but treatments can relieve symptoms.
Xiidra is used twice a day, about 12 hours apart. You place one drop in each eye in the morning and the evening.
If you wear contacts, you should remove them before you put Xiidra in your eyes. Do not put the contacts back in your eyes until 15 minutes after you have used Xiidra. If you have dry eye disease, ask your doctor if you should keep wearing contacts, as this may further aggravate your eyes.
Xiidra comes in a carton of 60 single-use containers, which will last you 30 days. Each single-use container has enough medicine for one dose (one drop in each eye). Throw away the container after one use, even if there is still some medicine left in it.
Store the Xiidra eye drop containers in their original foil pouch. Keep at room temperature away from moisture, heat, and light.
What are Xiidra side effects?
The most common side effects of Xiidra include:
- eye irritation
- eye discomfort
- blurred vision
- an unusual taste sensation.
- Ask your doctor if it’s okay to use artificial tears. Only use Xiidra with other eye medicines if your doctor has recommended this treatment. You may not need the added treatment or you may worsen side effects if you combine the two drugs.
- Xiidra can cause side effects such as burning, stinging and eye irritation. Using Xiidra with other eye drops may worsen these side effects.
- If you wear contacts, be sure to take them out before using Xiidra, and wait 15 minutes before you put them back in.
This is not all the information you need to know about Xiidra for safe and effective use. Review the full Xiidra information here, and discuss this information with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Xiidra [package insert]. East Hanover, New Jersey: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation, 2019. https://www.novartis.us/sites/www.novartis.us/files/xiidra.pdf
- Donnenfeld ED, Perry HD, Nattis AS, et al. Lifitegrast for the treatment of dry eye disease in adults. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2017;18(14):1517–1524. doi:10.1080/14656566.2017.1372748
- Xiidra: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects. Drugs.com. Updated March 12, 2019. Accessed June 17, 2020 at https://www.drugs.com/xiidra.html
Related Medical Questions
- Can Restasis and Xiidra be used together?
- Can Xiidra make dry eyes worse?
- Can Xiidra cause hair loss?
- Can you use Xiidra with punctal plugs?
- Can Xiidra cause diarrhea?
- Does Xiidra cause headaches?
- Does Xiidra have preservatives in it?
- How long does it take for Xiidra to work?
- How much is Xiidra without insurance?
- How is Xiidra packaged at the pharmacy?
- How does Xiidra differ from OTC dry eye treatments?