User Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Metoprolol Succinate ER has an average rating of 5.9 out of 10 from a total of 62 ratings on Drugs.com. 44% of those users who reviewed Metoprolol Succinate ER reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

High Blood Pressure
Left Ventricular Dysfunction
Summary of Metoprolol Succinate ER reviews 5.9 62 reviews

Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Sam · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2021

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and tried to switch from atenolol to metoprolol 12.5 mg x 2 day. Zero effect so far. Raised diastolic BP and completely bedridden due to HR that seems getting higher by hour.”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “Since I started metoprolol XL I have a burning flushing feeling from my face, my neck, to my arms to my legs. Has anyone else experienced this ? My doctor does not believe me. I need help !!”

Mommabear77 February 10, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I am 29 f. I developed Graves’ disease/hyperthyroidism after baby. When my Endo put me on propranolol for the fast heart rate hyperthyroidism gives I was relieved! But once my thyroid was in normal range I asked to be taken off due to it making my already lower BP, very low. So, I got off and I noticed I still had fast HR and ignored it since this is something I was used to since I was a teen.. I finally got tired and pushed for answers since my Endo was concerned it would eventually cause heart damage working too hard.. so I of course freaked out.. I was diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia and put on metoprolol and 5 months in on half of 25 mgs I’m very short of breath since Christmas (NOT COVID), dizzy, beyond a normal tired, extremely cold, lack of drive”

Weenie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 23, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I have not only super high blood pressure but also very high pulse & physical anxiety symptoms. It's idiopathic; I'm young, slim & female, with good diet & no aggravating lifestyle factors. I've been this way since age 18. Tried several solutions including OTC & prescription medications, diet changes & hippie-dippie placebo stuff like breathing exercises/meditation. Currently I'm on 3 meds for my BP. The only one I really miss when I skip it is metoprolol. If I skip my ACE inhibitor or my diuretic, there's barely any difference. Skip my metoprolol? I'd better call in sick. You shouldn't give a hoot about my experience; my body chemistry has nothing to do with yours. Your body may not give a damn about beta blockers but care everything about a calcium channel blocker for all we know. All bodies are different, with a different reaction to different meds. I can't believe we're still reviewing medication like it's a one-size-fits-all deal that we can take each other's advice on.”

BlueIce November 18, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “This is the worst blood pressure medicine I have ever taken. It cause me erectile dysfunction, memory loss, tiredness. it also gives you blurry vision. Stay away from this bad medicine. When I stopped taking this metoprolol Succinate my erection got better, I felt much better and energetic. This medicine will definitely harm your body....”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I’ve been on metoprolol for almost a year now. I am only 24 and high blood pressure runs in my family, my mother had a stroke from high blood pressure and my grandfather passed from it. I had high blood pressure with my daughter but it went away after I had her and then I had my son and it never went away. I was on bystolic and it worked great for me but was to expensive so I was put on metoprolol 25 mg and it didn’t really help my bp so I was prescribed a higher dosage to 50 mg. I am constantly tired, I’ve gained weight, and I am having night sweats. If I don’t take it my heart starts hurting and I hate it. The only good thing about it for me is that it does help with my bp and my chest pain.”

Mag · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “I hate this drug. I had been taking 25mg for years along with another Blood pressure pill, amlodipine. Worked okay although the metoprolol took me a long time to adjust to. It makes me feel really lousy. The side effects are terrible. Last year I had to have open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced. Afterwards, they put me on 100 mg of the metoprolol extended release. Oh My!! I’ve been on it for 7 months. I might as well be dead. This dosage makes me dizzy, light headed, depressed, extremely fatigued, I sleep all day, weight gain, headaches! I took half a pill each day for a few days and actually felt better. I hate this drug. I’m going to tell my cardiologist to lower my dosage way back or I’m just going to stop taking it. I feel worse then I have ever felt in my life. But hey, my BP and pulse is great!”

J4493 November 13, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I'm a 22 year old Female. (115/5'1) Long story short, I found out I had Tachycardia and experienced palpitations as well. I had extreme anxiety because of it which made it worse. I got prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate twice a day at first and it was a nightmare. It actually had like a reverse reaction on me and gave me constant flutters for a whole day. The doctor told me to take Magnesium twice a day with it and it would help and it definitely did. I eventually switched to the extended release, once a day, along with Magnesium and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more relaxed and normal. Had few palps still with Tartrate but not with Succinate (yet). I wanted to wait to write a review because I know I relied on reviews. Hope this helps!”

Goober 5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “My primary put me on 25 mg per day due to palpations that started after going off of HRT patch after 25 years. Cardiologist put me on Chlorothiladone since BP was running in mid 130’s /90. The first few days was fine then my eyes were always red and itchy, upset stomach, out of breath so much that I couldn’t even walk across the room, and terrible insomnia and horrible nightmares! Asked if I could reduce it to half. Three weeks later and nothing changed so weaning off by taking every other day for three weeks. This is horrible so now I know why my cardiologist wanted me on thiazide for a month to see if palpitations stopped after lowering BP. By the way, my BP is still the same. I don’t have insurance”

Chin · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “My blood pressure (BP) since 2017 ablation and hybird maze has been 130/90 heart rate 50 before 2 x Tikosyn , 1x 50mg Metoprolol. I take the drugs 1 hour apart, as soon as take the metoprolol BP goes to 165-180/ 130-120 heart rate 60-70. Feel dead, fatigue, to the point of fall asleep, sedentary, short of breath...in other words all the symptom's described by all. My EP dr said increase to metoprolol to 1x 100mg, I told him my cardologist suggested take two 50mg when my rate increased as needed. He said make an appointment to see cardologist that has known my condition for 2 monthss. Cardiologist said BP is not that high recommended no changes. I'm besides myself and lost faith in my Cardiology Clinic”

MW · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 25, 2020

For High Blood Pressure: “I have been on this drug for 2 years. I have ringing ears, blurred vision, bloated feeling all the time and gained 15 pounds. I'm going to get off this drug. I have taken 50mg twice a day. The first year I also had dizziness issues when getting up from a lying position. Not to mention diarrhea. This is a horrible drug.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “This med is horrible. Only took 2 doses and still having severe problems with palpitations and racing heart 2.5 months later. Had episodes of extreme palpitations, chest pain, almost passing out. Can hardly do my everyday chores. Cannot exert myself. Hypersensitivity. Hope my heart returns back to normal. I hope I didn't ruin it forever.”

Ko · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 8, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was diagnosed with SVT’s and put on metoprolol - which has helped a lot with my palpitations. Instead of multiple times per day I now only get palpitations a few times a week. I first started out on 25 mg. in the a.m., but that didn’t do the trick. Then went to 25 mg. twice a day, however, that made me extremely tired. Now I take 12.5 mg. in the a.m., & 25 mg. in the p.m. and this works! My resting heart rate has decreased between 55 - 60 bpm. But... everyone metabolizes meds differently.”

Alex N · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Worked well in lowering my blood pressure, pulse rate, even helped some with my anxiety. I've noticed no side effects, which is great because usually I find some reason to dislike drugs I am prescribed to. However I've had no issues with this.”

TinaDeeBee · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 26, 2020

For Migraine Prevention: “I've been taking Metoprolol ER, 25 mg, daily for migraine prevention. It has helped me tremendously. It has also lowered my BP, which only ran high occasionally, but needed to be addressed. I've had no bad side effects from the medication and I take it first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach. I hope my experience helps someone.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “Worked well to control my blood pressure but couldn’t tolerate the side effects. Caused constant headache as well as a pressure feeling in my head and made me feel somewhat swollen all over (even though I wasn’t)”

Seminole · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 31, 2018

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “Oh man where do I begin. I am female 52 years and I take 75 mg Metoprolol a day, been on them for 5 years. It does a very good job keeping my heartbeat to 50s and 60s when resting but it goes up to high when I get up in the morning take a shower. I was 165 pounds when I started taking the pills and now I am 216 pounds. It has terrible side effects Like, very fatigued Can’t think clearly Short of breath My libido has disappeared completely Chest tightness Constipation Blurry vision I saw my cardiologist three weeks ago and he is talking about doing a maze procedure And I am at a point where I do anything to get off of the Metoprolol.”

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance.”

Lilac lover January 18, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: “After having a constant heart rate of 110/20 even when resting, occasional heart palpitations, anxiety, and high blood pressure, I was put on Metoprolol success ER 25 mgs, that I half to 12.5mgs. It's been wonderful! I am so much more relaxed, my heart rate stays around 75 to 80. Blood Pressure stays in a normal range. Love it! I'm female, 47, 5 2` ( 135lbs )”

Melski January 22, 2020

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I'm a 58 year old female, active, healthy. 5-2, 108 lbs. saw my family doctor, reported symptoms. Prescribed Metoprolol Succinate ER 25 mg. Break tablet in half, take for the first 6 days, then full tablet. The only symptoms I noticed is coughing / insomnia. Everyone reacts differently with medicines, As with all drugs, double sword, read online taking Metoprolol 3 years, damage brain-kidney-heart, plan on taking in under 3 years seek other alternatives or options.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I was having heart palpitations everyday to the point where it was really scary for me. Sometimes flutters, other times skipped beats and still others I can't explain. Had holter monitor and stress test all came back fine, cardiologist told me nothing to worry about. Gave me this med 25 mg a day 1/2 tab am and 1/2 pm. First week, tightness in my chest felt hard it was hard to breath and it made me extremely sleepy and spacy. Almost stopped taking med but I continued into my 2nd week after my Dr told me to continue side effects would subside. I am so glad I took his advice, it's been 2 months and my palitations have subsided I get a few here and there but not as intense. This was a miracle drug for me.”

b · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2018

For High Blood Pressure: “My experience with this drug was that I was always tired and had no energy, I was told that I had to take the drug once a day and I took it when I got home after work. My Blood Pressure skyrocketed instead of going down. It left me sleeping longer, I was cranky and crabby as well. I ran out of the product. I went back to my doctor 3-4 X and she prescribed another medicine to help lower my Blood Pressure. I took that prescription and went to Walmart, got a print out of the medication and decided not to take it. In February I changed doctors, took the empty prescription bottle with me and asked him if I needed to take it further. I ran out of the product and was taking an alternative that had Hawthorne extract, Potassium, and other nutritional supplements to lower my BP.”

Catkop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2021

For High Blood Pressure: “I recently switched from 50mg to two 25mg tablets of generic Metoprolol Succinate ER. Within days I was having constant panic attacks and it felt more difficult to breathe despite decent pulse odometer readings. The company has had issues with poor quality since 2007. Beware and ask for non generic is my recommendation.”

Anonymous April 26, 2012

For Atrial Fibrillation: “I've been on Flecainide 12 years for A-fib but have recently been have more and more episodes. So my cardiologist also prescribed metoprolol (the smallest dose possible - 1/4 of a 25mg tablet twice daily - due to my being very sensitive to other beta blockers). My blood pressure dropped (wasn't high in the first place) and my heart rate dropped to the mid/low 40's. I was also very light-headed, had low energy, some shortness of breath and sometimes nausea. Discontinued (by doctor) after one week.”

Lulubell · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

For High Blood Pressure: “Took atenolol 25 for 34 years. For high blood pressure and rapid heart rate. The doc change me to metoprolol ER (extended release) so far good supposed to take 50mg started 25mg to wean into it . Nothing bad, feel good only 2nd day, so let see what this can do.”

jjones · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 18, 2019

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: “I have only been on Metroprolol Succinate ER for SVT for a few months. I started on 25mg 2x/day which was upped to 50mg 2x/day. The medication keeps my blood pressure in great range (was borderline high before). So far, I haven't had re-occurrence of SVT. I did have increased depression, but my thyroid levels were low as well. With regular exercise, the depression seems to have subsided. I gave up all caffeine which has helped with sleep and anxiety.”

Stevied March 12, 2011

For High Blood Pressure: “Been on this medicine for over 12 years started on 50 mg now at 200 mg ER. Been on 200mg for over 7 years now works real good I am 36 and it must be hereditary because both my younger sisters were on blood pressure medicines at a early age. My parents take 2 different blood pressure medicines as well. Works good for me when I check it every day.”

Anonymous February 2, 2011

For Atrial Fibrillation: “My doctor started me on Metoprolol after cardiac ablation for Atrial Fibrillation. It actually made my heart rate worse. I was waking up at 2am-5am every single morning in tachycardia of 115-148 bpm. I stopped taking Metoprolol, and have been in normal sinus rhythm ever since. I am glad it works for most, it just did not work for me. Atrial Fibrillation and/or tachycardia is horrible, and they have got to come up with something new for us sufferers soon.”