User Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER to treat High Blood Pressure

Metoprolol Succinate ER has an average rating of 5.4 out of 10 from a total of 34 ratings for the treatment of High Blood Pressure. 38% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 41% reported a negative effect.

Metoprolol Succinate ER Rating Summary

5.4/10 average rating

Compare all 284 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Weenie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 23, 2019

“I have not only super high blood pressure but also very high pulse & physical anxiety symptoms. It's idiopathic; I'm young, slim & female, with good diet & no aggravating lifestyle factors. I've been this way since age 18. Tried several solutions including OTC & prescription medications, diet changes & hippie-dippie placebo stuff like breathing exercises/meditation. Currently I'm on 3 meds for my BP. The only one I really miss when I skip it is metoprolol. If I skip my ACE inhibitor or my diuretic, there's barely any difference. Skip my metoprolol? I'd better call in sick. You shouldn't give a hoot about my experience; my body chemistry has nothing to do with yours. Your body may not give a damn about beta blockers but care everything about a calcium channel blocker for all we know. All bodies are different, with a different reaction to different meds. I can't believe we're still reviewing medication like it's a one-size-fits-all deal that we can take each other's advice on.”

BlueIce November 18, 2019

“This is the worst blood pressure medicine I have ever taken. It cause me erectile dysfunction, memory loss, tiredness. it also gives you blurry vision. Stay away from this bad medicine. When I stopped taking this metoprolol Succinate my erection got better, I felt much better and energetic. This medicine will definitely harm your body....”

Mark8430 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2021

“I was experiencing palpitations and higher than normal blood pressure. I have a generalized anxiety disorder that I have been experiencing since I was 30 years old. My doctor prescribed me Metoprolol Succinate ER and BAM! My blood pressure is normal and my pulse rate is back in the '70s! I have not experienced any side effects. None, zip. I have tried an alpha-blocker before, but that one gave me dizzy spells when I stand up from a sitting position and I would feel like passing out. This medication works well for me and helps greatly with my anxiety issues as well.”

Mag · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2019

“I hate this drug. I had been taking 25mg for years along with another Blood pressure pill, amlodipine. Worked okay although the metoprolol took me a long time to adjust to. It makes me feel really lousy. The side effects are terrible. Last year I had to have open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced. Afterwards, they put me on 100 mg of the metoprolol extended release. Oh My!! I’ve been on it for 7 months. I might as well be dead. This dosage makes me dizzy, light headed, depressed, extremely fatigued, I sleep all day, weight gain, headaches! I took half a pill each day for a few days and actually felt better. I hate this drug. I’m going to tell my cardiologist to lower my dosage way back or I’m just going to stop taking it. I feel worse then I have ever felt in my life. But hey, my BP and pulse is great!”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2020

“I’ve been on metoprolol for almost a year now. I am only 24 and high blood pressure runs in my family, my mother had a stroke from high blood pressure and my grandfather passed from it. I had high blood pressure with my daughter but it went away after I had her and then I had my son and it never went away. I was on bystolic and it worked great for me but was to expensive so I was put on metoprolol 25 mg and it didn’t really help my bp so I was prescribed a higher dosage to 50 mg. I am constantly tired, I’ve gained weight, and I am having night sweats. If I don’t take it my heart starts hurting and I hate it. The only good thing about it for me is that it does help with my bp and my chest pain.”

MW · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 25, 2020

“I have been on this drug for 2 years. I have ringing ears, blurred vision, bloated feeling all the time and gained 15 pounds. I'm going to get off this drug. I have taken 50mg twice a day. The first year I also had dizziness issues when getting up from a lying position. Not to mention diarrhea. This is a horrible drug.”

Chin · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2019

“My blood pressure (BP) since 2017 ablation and hybird maze has been 130/90 heart rate 50 before 2 x Tikosyn , 1x 50mg Metoprolol. I take the drugs 1 hour apart, as soon as take the metoprolol BP goes to 165-180/ 130-120 heart rate 60-70. Feel dead, fatigue, to the point of fall asleep, sedentary, short of breath...in other words all the symptom's described by all. My EP dr said increase to metoprolol to 1x 100mg, I told him my cardologist suggested take two 50mg when my rate increased as needed. He said make an appointment to see cardologist that has known my condition for 2 monthss. Cardiologist said BP is not that high recommended no changes. I'm besides myself and lost faith in my Cardiology Clinic”

Goober 5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

“My primary put me on 25 mg per day due to palpations that started after going off of HRT patch after 25 years. Cardiologist put me on Chlorothiladone since BP was running in mid 130’s /90. The first few days was fine then my eyes were always red and itchy, upset stomach, out of breath so much that I couldn’t even walk across the room, and terrible insomnia and horrible nightmares! Asked if I could reduce it to half. Three weeks later and nothing changed so weaning off by taking every other day for three weeks. This is horrible so now I know why my cardiologist wanted me on thiazide for a month to see if palpitations stopped after lowering BP. By the way, my BP is still the same. I don’t have insurance”

Alex N · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2016

“Worked well in lowering my blood pressure, pulse rate, even helped some with my anxiety. I've noticed no side effects, which is great because usually I find some reason to dislike drugs I am prescribed to. However I've had no issues with this.”

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

“Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

“Worked well to control my blood pressure but couldn’t tolerate the side effects. Caused constant headache as well as a pressure feeling in my head and made me feel somewhat swollen all over (even though I wasn’t)”

Lilac lover January 18, 2016

“After having a constant heart rate of 110/20 even when resting, occasional heart palpitations, anxiety, and high blood pressure, I was put on Metoprolol success ER 25 mgs, that I half to 12.5mgs. It's been wonderful! I am so much more relaxed, my heart rate stays around 75 to 80. Blood Pressure stays in a normal range. Love it! I'm female, 47, 5 2` ( 135lbs )”

Mommabear77 February 10, 2021

“I am 29 f. I developed Graves’ disease/hyperthyroidism after baby. When my Endo put me on propranolol for the fast heart rate hyperthyroidism gives I was relieved! But once my thyroid was in normal range I asked to be taken off due to it making my already lower BP, very low. So, I got off and I noticed I still had fast HR and ignored it since this is something I was used to since I was a teen.. I finally got tired and pushed for answers since my Endo was concerned it would eventually cause heart damage working too hard.. so I of course freaked out.. I was diagnosed with inappropriate sinus tachycardia and put on metoprolol and 5 months in on half of 25 mgs I’m very short of breath since Christmas (NOT COVID), dizzy, beyond a normal tired, extremely cold, lack of drive”

b · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2018

“My experience with this drug was that I was always tired and had no energy, I was told that I had to take the drug once a day and I took it when I got home after work. My Blood Pressure skyrocketed instead of going down. It left me sleeping longer, I was cranky and crabby as well. I ran out of the product. I went back to my doctor 3-4 X and she prescribed another medicine to help lower my Blood Pressure. I took that prescription and went to Walmart, got a print out of the medication and decided not to take it. In February I changed doctors, took the empty prescription bottle with me and asked him if I needed to take it further. I ran out of the product and was taking an alternative that had Hawthorne extract, Potassium, and other nutritional supplements to lower my BP.”

Stevied March 12, 2011

“Been on this medicine for over 12 years started on 50 mg now at 200 mg ER. Been on 200mg for over 7 years now works real good I am 36 and it must be hereditary because both my younger sisters were on blood pressure medicines at a early age. My parents take 2 different blood pressure medicines as well. Works good for me when I check it every day.”

Rocky74 · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

“Went to have foot injury x-rayed at urgent care, and spiked a blood pressure of 195/110 maybe due to pain.Was given this by IV in the ER, then pills for 3-4 nights at home. It lowered my b.p. by like 20 points/day, and I was fine for 2 days, but then had episodes of exhaustion to the point where I had to lie on the couch for hours to recover from simple housework like washing pots. Was also short of breath like I'd run 5 miles. Swallowing felt weird. Got disoriented while driving. It's a 9 on effectiveness, but can't tolerate the side effects. Am 63/F.”

Catkop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 13, 2021

“I recently switched from 50mg to two 25mg tablets of generic Metoprolol Succinate ER. Within days I was having constant panic attacks and it felt more difficult to breathe despite decent pulse odometer readings. The company has had issues with poor quality since 2007. Beware and ask for non generic is my recommendation.”

Lulubell · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“Took atenolol 25 for 34 years. For high blood pressure and rapid heart rate. The doc change me to metoprolol ER (extended release) so far good supposed to take 50mg started 25mg to wean into it . Nothing bad, feel good only 2nd day, so let see what this can do.”

JZ · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 15, 2021

“Was on it 25mg for 4 years. For BP and after getting a stent @ 62 yrs. It wasn’t a good match with my system. Restricted breathing, insomnia, exercise intolerance, extreme fatigue, borderline depression. Slowed me down so much I lost interest & energy for doing anything. Felt like I had an ace bandage wrapped around my chest. My BP was only 140/80 before. After was about 128/65. I’ve been exercising for 14years. Side effects outweighed the benefit. I switched to bystolic today ($120/90 day supply). Wish me luck. If this 2nd beta blocker doesn’t work with my system my next move is switch to amlodapine; I’ll be going to a calcium channel blocker.”

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017

“I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do.”

Pauca · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2017

“I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough.”

Counting12 August 25, 2016

“Taking for blood pressure..white coat hypertension.....usually 180/100 with pulse 104 in doctors office...my anxiety down...bp now usually 114/70 with pulse 70...taking 50mg. Only side effect very tired..hopefully will go away.”

Loke · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2017

“I've only been on this med for three weeks; my b/p seems to be adjusting how ever it's normal or low at bedtime for example (110/46) (118/60) in the morning when I take it it's (178/90) 188/84) as the goes on it drops to (142/68) strange things happen to our bodies as we age .I'm going to continue taking it to see if my pressure become adjusted after three months I'll check the progress.”

momom · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2017

“Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me.”

SharynLP July 20, 2016

“I originally started taking Metoprolol 25 mg once a day due to SVTs. they helped calm them down a bit. I also have PVCs and PACs especially when my blood pressure is superhigh. I am now back on this medication and started at 25 mg, within a few months it was up to 50 mg, I recently went up 100mg from my GP, but now my cardiologist up me to 200 mg. I have been only taking 100-150 mg. I break to be 100 mg pill in half and take 50 mg every six hours. My blood pressure went from 197/130 to approx 147/97. I have recently changed my diet dramatically and Inc. swimming and walking as an exercise. 49F, 208lbs. Sedentary life for 5 years. No side effects at all. Take with food though as directed. Causes nausea w/o food for me.”