User Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Learn more about Metoprolol Succinate ER.

Metoprolol Succinate ER Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER to treat High Blood Pressure

"I'm supposed to take this medication for my blood pressure but a year and half later the pressure is still the same even though doctor increase the dose from 50 to 100 mg. Seems like the doctor care more about my heart rate (that is Lower than before so is working), but my blood pressure is ever the same, especially the night time is ever 8 around 85/140 (sometimes 150 or 160). I told this many times but he still thinking about the BPM..so at the end the BPM decrease but not the blood pressure so is working 50/50. PS I gained more than 10lb after using the metoprolol"

ABarbato October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Went to have foot injury x-rayed at urgent care, and spiked a blood pressure of 195/110 maybe due to pain.Was given this by IV in the ER, then pills for 3-4 nights at home. It lowered my b.p. by like 20 points/day, and I was fine for 2 days, but then had episodes of exhaustion to the point where I had to lie on the couch for hours to recover from simple housework like washing pots. Was also short of breath like I'd run 5 miles. Swallowing felt weird. Got disoriented while driving. It's a 9 on effectiveness, but can't tolerate the side effects. Am 63/F."

Rocky74 (taken for less than 1 month) September 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me."

momom (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough."

Pauca (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After I started to to this I couldn't see, Heart was racing, arms and legs were numb, and I went from over 181/100 to 105/79 and lite Head."

Azdal February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do."

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance."

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking for blood pressure..white coat hypertension.....usually 180/100 with pulse 104 in doctors office...my anxiety down...bp now usually 114/70 with pulse 70...taking 50mg. Only side effect very tired..hopefully will go away."

Counting12 August 25, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I originally started taking Metoprolol 25 mg once a day due to SVTs. they helped calm them down a bit. I also have PVCs and PACs especially when my blood pressure is superhigh. I am now back on this medication and started at 25 mg, within a few months it was up to 50 mg, I recently went up 100mg from my GP, but now my cardiologist up me to 200 mg. I have been only taking 100-150 mg. I break to be 100 mg pill in half and take 50 mg every six hours. My blood pressure went from 197/130 to approx 147/97. I have recently changed my diet dramatically and Inc. swimming and walking as an exercise. 49F, 208lbs. Sedentary life for 5 years. No side effects at all. Take with food though as directed. Causes nausea w/o food for me."

SharynLP July 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked well in lowering my blood pressure, pulse rate, even helped some with my anxiety. I've noticed no side effects, which is great because usually I find some reason to dislike drugs I am prescribed to. However I've had no issues with this."

Alex N (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After having a constant heart rate of 110/20 even when resting, occasional heart palpitations, anxiety, and high blood pressure, I was put on Metoprolol success ER 25 mgs, that I half to 12.5mgs. It's been wonderful! I am so much more relaxed, my heart rate stays around 75 to 80. Blood Pressure stays in a normal range. Love it! I'm female, 47, 5 2` ( 135lbs )"

Lilac lover January 18, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this drug for years to slow heart due to atrial fib. Works very well. No complaints."

Hemi13 October 23, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Worked fine in lowering and stabilizing blood pressure, however I switched off it because of sexual side effects. Fatigue, which is a problem for many, was no problem for me."

captkrash (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I needed to take this due to another medication I was taking. Never needed to be on anything else. Very happy with results"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Only took for 1 week, made me incredibly tired, could not function."

dauna (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this medicine for over 12 years started on 50 mg now at 200 mg ER. Been on 200mg for over 7 years now works real good I am 36 and it must be hereditary because both my younger sisters were on blood pressure medicines at a early age. My parents take 2 different blood pressure medicines as well. Works good for me when I check it every day."

Stevied March 12, 2011