User Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER to treat High Blood Pressure

Metoprolol Succinate ER Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 287 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Metoprolol Succinate ER

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 2, 2020

“I’ve been on metoprolol for almost a year now. I am only 24 and high blood pressure runs in my family, my mother had a stroke from high blood pressure and my grandfather passed from it. I had high blood pressure with my daughter but it went away after I had her and then I had my son and it never went away. I was on bystolic and it worked great for me but was to expensive so I was put on metoprolol 25 mg and it didn’t really help my bp so I was prescribed a higher dosage to 50 mg. I am constantly tired, I’ve gained weight, and I am having night sweats. If I don’t take it my heart starts hurting and I hate it. The only good thing about it for me is that it does help with my bp and my chest pain.”

Goober 5 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2020

“My primary put me on 25 mg per day due to palpations that started after going off of HRT patch after 25 years. Cardiologist put me on Chlorothiladone since BP was running in mid 130’s /90. The first few days was fine then my eyes were always red and itchy, upset stomach, out of breath so much that I couldn’t even walk across the room, and terrible insomnia and horrible nightmares! Asked if I could reduce it to half. Three weeks later and nothing changed so weaning off by taking every other day for three weeks. This is horrible so now I know why my cardiologist wanted me on thiazide for a month to see if palpitations stopped after lowering BP. By the way, my BP is still the same. I don’t have insurance”

BlueIce November 18, 2019

“This is the worst blood pressure medicine I have ever taken. It cause me erectile dysfunction, memory loss, tiredness. it also gives you blurry vision. Stay away from this bad medicine. When I stopped taking this metoprolol Succinate my erection got better, I felt much better and energetic. This medicine will definitely harm your body....”

Lulubell · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2019

“Took atenolol 25 for 34 years. For high blood pressure and rapid heart rate. The doc change me to metoprolol ER (extended release) so far good supposed to take 50mg started 25mg to wean into it . Nothing bad, feel good only 2nd day, so let see what this can do.”

Taybay · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2019

“Prescribed for my extremely high blood pressure and constant PVC's. Has lowered my blood pressure but has done nothing for my PVC's.”

Chin · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 13, 2019

“My blood pressure (BP) since 2017 ablation and hybird maze has been 130/90 heart rate 50 before 2 x Tikosyn , 1x 50mg Metoprolol. I take the drugs 1 hour apart, as soon as take the metoprolol BP goes to 165-180/ 130-120 heart rate 60-70. Feel dead, fatigue, to the point of fall asleep, sedentary, short of breath...in other words all the symptom's described by all. My EP dr said increase to metoprolol to 1x 100mg, I told him my cardologist suggested take two 50mg when my rate increased as needed. He said make an appointment to see cardologist that has known my condition for 2 monthss. Cardiologist said BP is not that high recommended no changes. I'm besides myself and lost faith in my Cardiology Clinic”

Nellie · Taken for less than 1 month August 1, 2019

“I have been on Propranolol for over 6 years and a new cardiologist switched me to this drug. I wasn't very happy and now I feel swollen inside, even my lips feel swollen. I don't really notice a huge difference from propranolol. I am checking all reviews from both drugs but I am going to switch back just as soon as I know it's safe to do so.”

Weenie · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 23, 2019

“I have not only super high blood pressure but also very high pulse & physical anxiety symptoms. It's idiopathic; I'm young, slim & female, with good diet & no aggravating lifestyle factors. I've been this way since age 18. Tried several solutions including OTC & prescription medications, diet changes & hippie-dippie placebo stuff like breathing exercises/meditation. Currently I'm on 3 meds for my BP. The only one I really miss when I skip it is metoprolol. If I skip my ACE inhibitor or my diuretic, there's barely any difference. Skip my metoprolol? I'd better call in sick. You shouldn't give a hoot about my experience; my body chemistry has nothing to do with yours. Your body may not give a damn about beta blockers but care everything about a calcium channel blocker for all we know. All bodies are different, with a different reaction to different meds. I can't believe we're still reviewing medication like it's a one-size-fits-all deal that we can take each other's advice on.”

Mag · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2019

“I hate this drug. I had been taking 25mg for years along with another Blood pressure pill, amlodipine. Worked okay although the metoprolol took me a long time to adjust to. It makes me feel really lousy. The side effects are terrible. Last year I had to have open heart surgery to have my aortic valve replaced. Afterwards, they put me on 100 mg of the metoprolol extended release. Oh My!! I’ve been on it for 7 months. I might as well be dead. This dosage makes me dizzy, light headed, depressed, extremely fatigued, I sleep all day, weight gain, headaches! I took half a pill each day for a few days and actually felt better. I hate this drug. I’m going to tell my cardiologist to lower my dosage way back or I’m just going to stop taking it. I feel worse then I have ever felt in my life. But hey, my BP and pulse is great!”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

“Worked well to control my blood pressure but couldn’t tolerate the side effects. Caused constant headache as well as a pressure feeling in my head and made me feel somewhat swollen all over (even though I wasn’t)”

b · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 13, 2018

“My experience with this drug was that I was always tired and had no energy, I was told that I had to take the drug once a day and I took it when I got home after work. My Blood Pressure skyrocketed instead of going down. It left me sleeping longer, I was cranky and crabby as well. I ran out of the product. I went back to my doctor 3-4 X and she prescribed another medicine to help lower my Blood Pressure. I took that prescription and went to Walmart, got a print out of the medication and decided not to take it. In February I changed doctors, took the empty prescription bottle with me and asked him if I needed to take it further. I ran out of the product and was taking an alternative that had Hawthorne extract, Potassium, and other nutritional supplements to lower my BP.”

Loke · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2017

“I've only been on this med for three weeks; my b/p seems to be adjusting how ever it's normal or low at bedtime for example (110/46) (118/60) in the morning when I take it it's (178/90) 188/84) as the goes on it drops to (142/68) strange things happen to our bodies as we age .I'm going to continue taking it to see if my pressure become adjusted after three months I'll check the progress.”

ABarbato October 3, 2017

“I'm supposed to take this medication for my blood pressure but a year and half later the pressure is still the same even though doctor increase the dose from 50 to 100 mg. Seems like the doctor care more about my heart rate (that is Lower than before so is working), but my blood pressure is ever the same, especially the night time is ever 8 around 85/140 (sometimes 150 or 160). I told this many times but he still thinking about the BPM..so at the end the BPM decrease but not the blood pressure so is working 50/50. PS I gained more than 10lb after using the metoprolol”

Rocky74 · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2017

“Went to have foot injury x-rayed at urgent care, and spiked a blood pressure of 195/110 maybe due to pain.Was given this by IV in the ER, then pills for 3-4 nights at home. It lowered my b.p. by like 20 points/day, and I was fine for 2 days, but then had episodes of exhaustion to the point where I had to lie on the couch for hours to recover from simple housework like washing pots. Was also short of breath like I'd run 5 miles. Swallowing felt weird. Got disoriented while driving. It's a 9 on effectiveness, but can't tolerate the side effects. Am 63/F.”

momom · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 20, 2017

“Have very frequent Premature ventricular contractions (PVCs), heart testing said my heart is fine. Put me on metoprolol succinate ER. Been taking for a year now & PVCs are still as often as they were. I see/feel no improvement. Taking at night & valsartan in a.m experiencing BP drops. My BP is very high in the morning, like 167/110, before I take my daily dosage of valsartan. Within 2 hours of taking it my BP hasn't improved, then at about 5 hours after I take my BP med my BP plummets to like 71/54, sometimes lower. I fall asleep without even realizing it when it happens & sleep for about half hour. BP readings, about 4 times daily, shows PVCs at all times with an infrequent no PVC reading. Not convinced this med is doing anything for me.”

Pauca · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2017

“I had high blood pressure going up to 170/ 95 and after 3 weeks of use with 50 mg. My blood pressure went down to normal levels 120/ 80. No side effects at all. Works well for me especially when I compare it with previous used medicine ( Lisinopril) which gave me a bad cough.”

Azdal February 24, 2017

“After I started to to this I couldn't see, Heart was racing, arms and legs were numb, and I went from over 181/100 to 105/79 and lite Head.”

Hope to feel better soon February 21, 2017

“I was on 50 mg's of Metropolol twice per day and had a few high readings of 200/80 due to anxiety. Doctor raised me to 100 ER twice per day plus Lorsartan. I feel like a zombie. It has lowered my BP but I have several side effects listed such as dizziness, tiredness, confused at times, dry mouth, burping and a few other side effects. I have been on this high dose of ER for 10 days and I don't think I will be able to take this drug in such a high dose much longer. The doctor wants me to go for heart tests to find out why my pressure went so high. High blood pressure runs in my family and I could stand to lose 20 pounds which I am trying to do.”

MJEBS. October 3, 2016

“Metoprolol 75mg/daily. Dizzy & off balance, nausea, weight gain, joint pain, extreme fatigue with breathlessness, hair loss. I accidently cut down on taking it when I had the flu. Lost 10 lbs due to hardly eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Noticed that I was thinking more clearly, had no nausea, joint pain was pretty much gone and I had more energy. Checked bp and it was still in the normal range. Am weaning myself off and am down to 25mg daily as I continue working to diet. Easier to lose weight now, too. I can breathe much more normally now and have better balance.”

Counting12 August 25, 2016

“Taking for blood pressure..white coat hypertension.....usually 180/100 with pulse 104 in doctors office...my anxiety down...bp now usually 114/70 with pulse 70...taking 50mg. Only side effect very tired..hopefully will go away.”

SharynLP July 20, 2016

“I originally started taking Metoprolol 25 mg once a day due to SVTs. they helped calm them down a bit. I also have PVCs and PACs especially when my blood pressure is superhigh. I am now back on this medication and started at 25 mg, within a few months it was up to 50 mg, I recently went up 100mg from my GP, but now my cardiologist up me to 200 mg. I have been only taking 100-150 mg. I break to be 100 mg pill in half and take 50 mg every six hours. My blood pressure went from 197/130 to approx 147/97. I have recently changed my diet dramatically and Inc. swimming and walking as an exercise. 49F, 208lbs. Sedentary life for 5 years. No side effects at all. Take with food though as directed. Causes nausea w/o food for me.”

Alex N · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 11, 2016

“Worked well in lowering my blood pressure, pulse rate, even helped some with my anxiety. I've noticed no side effects, which is great because usually I find some reason to dislike drugs I am prescribed to. However I've had no issues with this.”

Lilac lover January 18, 2016

“After having a constant heart rate of 110/20 even when resting, occasional heart palpitations, anxiety, and high blood pressure, I was put on Metoprolol success ER 25 mgs, that I half to 12.5mgs. It's been wonderful! I am so much more relaxed, my heart rate stays around 75 to 80. Blood Pressure stays in a normal range. Love it! I'm female, 47, 5 2` ( 135lbs )”

Hemi13 October 23, 2015

“Been on this drug for years to slow heart due to atrial fib. Works very well. No complaints.”

captkrash · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 20, 2015

“Worked fine in lowering and stabilizing blood pressure, however I switched off it because of sexual side effects. Fatigue, which is a problem for many, was no problem for me.”