User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 26 reviews 80 medications

6.2
Obesity 1 reviews 62 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 528 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "I have narcolepsy, and have been taking Ritalin for about 20 years. I was diagnosed with depression about 7 years ago, most recently taking Effexor, and citalopram. About 6 days ago I spiralled down fast and hard. Couldn't eat, sleep, reason anything good, was crying hysterically, horrible feelings, felt like I was slowly going crazy. I had stopped taking my Ritalin thinking it would keep me awake. Today I took my Ritalin, went for a nap and woke up clear. I was calm, it's been 8 hrs of no crying, no churning inside, no hysterics, I am sleeping, I can can think things through....absolutely night and day. No one ever told me that Ritalin could be helping my depression too."

DepressedNarc (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 22, 2016

For Depression: "I have bipolar disorder. 11 months in year major depression and 1 month mania. No any laugh in my life. After 7 years i tested just 10mg of ritalin and my life changed. Ritalin make me happy. 20 mg 2 times in a day is perfect dosage for me. But I am NOT suggesting Ritalin for all bipolar patients, Because of the risk of mania.Nobody likes hospitalization. It is better to inform your family that you intend to use Ritalin."

Parsicode (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 4yr old son has Autism/ADHD/OCD. After coming off of Risperidone my sons' Neurologist wanted to try my son on Quillivant XR. Our Pharmacy had to special order this med due to there was nobody else in this county that takes it. The 1st dose of this med that my son took he went WILD!!! He got violent with us, and just refused to eat ANYTHING, he was also up for 22hr straight! He only had 2 doses of this med (day 1 & 2) then I had to call his Dr and to have him taken off the med. We ended up going back on Risperidone and Guanfacine. Once I stopped giving my son the Quillivant XR med he started acting like his old self again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have Bipolar I disorder along with PTSD and ADHD. I am a rapid cycler which means im all over the place and I need to have a strict medication schedule in order to remain stable. Being on any stimulant medications, like even a steroid for inflammation, can make me manic. After spending years trying to stabilize my condition I faced with a choice: either drop out of college bc I couldnt keep up or risk going manic by trying an ADHD med. It took months for my doctor to agree to give me something, anything, for my ADHD because the risks were too high, but she finally did. In February she prescribed Quillivant XR because it had seemed to work with other Bipolar patients. Since then everything has changed. My mind works. My brain works finally"

Finally a solution September 13, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "So i was diagnosed with inattentive type ADHD about a month or two ago. I'm 19 and in second year university. I struggle to take in information in distracting settings like big lecture halls, have tough time focusing, and my organization skills have always been poor. So my doctor prescribed 18mg concerta. I've taken it for a week so far and I'm loving the results. Im now always listening in lectures, always focusing on what the prof is saying. My room, car, desk is now more organized than it has ever been, and its stayed that way so far! Many people complain about lack of appetite but I haven't noticed that at all! Ive noticed two minor side effects so far. Headaches that start later in the day, as well as some minor irritability."

nr69 September 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been on 18 mg concerta for 3 days. I'm a 39 year old woman with ADHD-PI with anxiety. The 1st day I felt fluey and extremely tired, but very mellow and happy, nevertheless it didn't do a thing for focus/Attention. The 2nd day I felt inconsistent fluctuations with my mental clarity/focus. Also, there were fluctuations in Tiredness, I had to drink caffeine twice in the day on order to kind of function. Also my appetite became enormous. I still felt quite calm and centered though, which was nice for a change. 3rd day was more of the same from the 2nd day, but my appetite was less. I'm wondering if I should keep taking this."

RjoyD September 6, 2016

For Narcolepsy: "I treated narcolepsy first with Nuvigil then Provigil. Having Lyme disease compounds fatigue and pain on top of sleepiness. I maxed out at 200 mg provigil bid and it became ineffective. I take Ritalin 20 mg TID. I am no longer fatigued, in pain or sleepy. I have a high tolerance to drugs and not anxious to up my dose, but really need 4 times a day. My only side effects are compulsively picking the skin around my fingers and compulsively drinking chocolate milk. But I no longer feel a wet, wool blanket of fatigue, pain and sleepiness over me. I also tend to hyper focus. I'm a natural scholar so that's ok by me, but I will study one topic for 8 hours compulsively. Yeah, compulsion is the only issue I have with it."

Squisha (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 3, 2016

For Fatigue: "I was started on Methylphenidate as a teenager due to fatigue and ADD. Not ADHD. For a long time, I found that it helped, I could stay focused, my mood was better...until I was into my 30's...I was put back on it and a year or two later, I was switched to Adderall, then back to Methylphenidate. I began to feel very emotional, crying out of nowhere, everything seemed amplified and my anxiety was through the roof! My behavior was reckless, it was a nightmare! I went from a stable single mom, to an emotional wreck, on a downward spiral. My doctor took me off of it, immediately. Once off of it, all of that stopped. Its definitely a drug to be careful with."

GlitterAnxietyWater (taken for 10 years or more) September 1, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking methylphenidate (Ritalin) for years. I started during my professional career, because according to my psych, I am "too smart to sit still", and that because of that, my brain gets bored easily then my attention span fades. With Ritalin I can focus like a laser on tasks, get much more done, stay organized, and it also helps with that afternoon sleepiness. Added bonus is it revs up your basal metabolic rate, and reduces appetite so you can lose weight easily. Downside, it increases BP. If you have high BP you may want to avoid it. I take a 20 mg pill 3-4 times a day, never after dinner if you want to sleep."

Chicago engineer August 31, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "The dosing was 0.5mg x 2 doses, daily. The first few days (1-4) were great. We noticed more our 5 yr old soon looking at us for longer periods of time when speaking to him. Also, he seemed to turn his work (kindergarten) completed, the teacher was impressed with that. However, his ODD (more defiant) became worse at the end of the first week, he began hiding under his desk saying "don't look at my face," and more emotional all around. At the end of the week, he had 2-3 full on accidents (urination on himself, in the daytime.) This was where I put my foot down and dropped this drug. My son did not have any problems with bladder control before this drug. I am not going to continue this with out reassurance from prescribing doctor."

Pissed off in Houston, TX (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2016

For Depression: "Been taking this for exactly 7 months. Helps a lot!! First month had side effects. Best antidepressant I've tried. I take 10mg 2x per day. Occasionally I take a day off."

Hi(: (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "just got diagnosed with add and im 19yrs old the doc prescribe me 36mg concerta and this my second day taking the pill and i still feel the same"

scoob123 August 23, 2016

For Fatigue: "Prescribed to give me more energy. Haven't been on it but for a few days, but all I want to do is sleep! I had more pep before I started taking it!"

Anonymous August 20, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Been taking Concerta XL for a while with a steady titration from 18mg up to 81mg. I take it around 9am each morning and the first few hours are very restless. However by early noon say 1-2pm I go into a slow sometimes dragging comedown which makes me sleepy and therefore having a knap during the day. This leads to an almost sleepless night which can upset my brain in many ways. Positives: Alert, talkative, sociable and above all CONCENTRATE. Negatives: Jaw Clenching (gurning), sweaty, sleepless night (because of the midday knap) All in all I have tried alteting dosage times in the morning and I can quite easily eat without feeling nausea. Weight loss is noticable but at a good stable rate. Many people have to give Concerta a chance."

Mr ADHD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Son was recently diagnosis for ADHD in June 2016 and just had his first dose on 8/16/16 Dr recommended that we start at least a couple days before school just to see how it works. Well as a mother whom was against Meds at first was impressed with it on first day with the exception that i notice around the 4th hr that he had started to move his mouth alot, lick lips and move tongue around inside of his mouth uncontrollably and it was concerning to me. Eventually it did stop around 11th hr after he was given dose. Im not sure what this could be i do see one of the symptom is dry mouth, can anyone tell me if their child experience this or what this maybe."

Hope for my Son (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I got this for my 5 year old daughter, who has high functioning autism. This medication was a godsend in terms of making her focus and follow directions, but sadly, we had to stop giving it to her because it made her terrified of everything. She became very paranoid and things she used to love suddenly scared her (example, blowing bubbles became scary!) She became jumpy and had nightmares. We tried to work with this medication for over a year, no luck. She's is 7 years old now, and we finally took her off of it. After being off of it for a little over a week, she is no longer scared and paranoid about everything. She is back to being unfocused and not following directions, but I would rather have her unfocused than terrified of everything"

cowgirl_boots August 16, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Quillivant has changed our lives. My 12-year old son has ADHD with slight autism. When he isn't on medication he is depressed, cries a lot and can be inappropriate. He won't swallow a pill. We tried a few medications and the patch, but they all had instant side effects. We love that Quillivant is a liquid and at 5ml he is very happy. The only slight side effect is decrease in appetite. It wears off 8 hours later when we give him a Ritalin pill that he chews. Yuck. We couldn't be happier with this product, but it is hard to find at pharmacies. Get a discount card for only a $20 co-pay."

Mom who wants happiness for ki (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 9yr old daughter was on the Daytrana 10mg patch the last half of the school year. The daytrana patch did eliminate the spacing out, and she did excell in her classes the last quarter of the school year. She brought her D's and U's up to C's and B's. I took her off the medication over the summer and now she's been back on the same 10mg Daytrana patch for 4 days. She has barely been able to eat anything. She cries because of the constant stomach pain. She's been complaining that her vision is getting blurry (which is listed as a known side effect) she has also been throwing up about once a day. I'm currently trying to work with the specialist to see if this will even out or if I should pull her off the patch ASAP."

Nervous Nellie35 August 11, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "Taken Ritalin over 15 yrs for NARCOLEPSY. Provigal to $$. Over the years I have increased to 40mg two times daily. Have not (and won't) increased dosage in over 5 yrs. Retired now so it's easier to adjust mg. If I feel it's not working, I will stop taking it for a week or two (if possible) and then go back 10 mg at a time. May be time consuming but never had addiction. Considering the SR."

Jeanettesretired (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 16. I was prescribed 36mg Comcentra I took it at 8:30pm (was suppose to take it in morning) it worksd it helped me focus but 3 hours into it I started feeling anxiety and later I had a crash. Couldn't sleep stayed up the whole entire night. I also has many other side effects like lack of appitite and heavy breathing might be to large of a dose but overall without the crazy side effects it helped me get stuff done and concentrate"

Slythers (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This is the first and only medication we've given to my 6yo son since being diagnosed with adhd in January 2016. It works very well. We give him his dose at 6:30am during the school year and the teacher notices it wearing off by about 2pm. The only noticeable side affects were a slight decrease in appetite the first few weeks, and slightly more difficulty when settling down for bed at night. We no longer have either issue. It is pricy. We pay $$65/month with our insurance plan. We live in PA and have to pick up the prescription from the doctor's office each month. We've also had an issue occasionally when our pharmacy does not have quillivant in stock. When this happened we had to drive to several pharmacies to find one who had it."

Mvh313 August 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been on Concerta XL for 3 years now I have two large (36mg the highest dose for my age) every morning. I suffer from ADHD well ADD and it really helps me feel motivated and helps me look forward to things. I lost 4 ish stone and went from 16.7 stone to 12 in 4 years as my adhd made me eat when I was bored/sad/happy and It really ruined my life. I don't have an appetite anymore and only eat in the afternoon once it's worn off. I do drink a lot of fluids as on the tablets I get thirsty. I'm more social and i enjoy everyday activities a lot more including chores. Negatives : the come down is awful and I usually slip into a depression but it is worth it ! I'd recommend it to anyone !"

Liv562000 August 6, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking Concerta XL for around 2 months after finally being diagnosed as and adult. I started on 18mg, and within half an hour, I felt able to concentrate and focus on tasks for the 1st time. A couple of days later, I had crippling headaches but everything settled down after that. My resting heart rate has sped up by 10bpm whilst the medication is in effect. I'm currently on 54mg and the therapeutic effects are great, but I feel dehydrated no matter how much water I drink, and I have developed sinus problems. It's worth it though."

Smiddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed Concerta 54mg for two weeks, and after two weeks my dosage was lowered to 36mg. The positive effects: First of all, it was absolutely effective at keeping me focused, engaged, and gave me the motivation to continue working away at my given tasks. It also accelerated my perception of time. The (manageable) negatives: It made me so focused on tasks that I was antisocial. Fixating on annoying sounds, anxiety, sweaty palms, no appetite, and weight loss (25lbs). I found I was lacking emotion, and during the long comedown I was irritable and rarely I experienced mild to moderate depression. Concerta is an effective ADHD drug, but the emotional effects can be annoying at times. It is worth consulting your doctor about!"

Isoprophlex July 28, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Daytrana really helped with my ADD, as it is a time release patch rather than a pill, and the pills don't usually keep me medicated long enough. I process them too fast. So the patches work great. Minimal skin irritation. However, it may have caused some kind of dependency issue. Because I now rely on the Daytrana to help me focus, I find it difficult to focus without it, to the point of being unmotivated and grumpy if I don't apply the patch. But nothing major."

Chris was already taken July 22, 2016