User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 31 reviews 79 medications

Obesity 1 reviews 62 medications

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 620 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am a 20 y/o girl. I was on 54 mg of Concerta once a day. This drug was the worst thing thats ever happened to me. It did help my grades but I felt most of it was placebo and the fact that the side effects were so horrible I wanted to focus on work to distract myself. It made my anxiety unbearable and constant. My heart beat in my head. My whole left arm and pinky would feel numb and prickly. I knew I was hungry but could not eat and was disgusted by food. I fell into a horrible depression and felt just overwhelming darkness. The pros was that it made sitting in long classes and retaining information much easier. I felt excited about learning and getting work done. Overall it helped with school but the side effects are not worth it."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Both my daughters are on aptensio my 12 year old is on 50mg and 9 year old 20 mg. My 12 year old is 4'11 , 80 pounds. She eats and eats and eats all day. She's constantly hungry and still having problems in school! Also notice she has mood swings and gets mad more easily! I feel helps hyper part , but not fully helping focusing, she been on it over a year now! My 9 year old eats I would say normal! Helps her with focus and hyper. So I would say definitely helps her."

Stl_84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's amazing how much more focused my 16 year old son is, since he started his daily 36mg Concerta. His work effort and work quality is improved dramatically. Yes, managing his food consumption has been a bit of work. His appetite is definitely not what it used to be, but we're working on it. Although it's only been 3 weeks, we are all thrilled with his response. Good luck to all!"

EJCALI September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's bad for kids with ADHD because when I was 5 they gave it to me it kept me up for 72 hours and I took it every 4 days."

blakers September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "When my son couldn't swallow, the patch was the perfect alternative for his ADD. He never did have the hyperactivity. We used it for years but he developed a nasty allergic skin reaction to it and we had to stop using it. We miss the ease of it and the simplicity of the 8am-6pm use of it. By bedtime he was ready to sleep. With Concerta he has to take Benadryl to help him sleep. If only they could have fixed that problem"

Mumreese (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Thinking that there has been a misdiagnosis as Ritalin had the opposite to that promised. Violence, aggressive tendencies and amplified mood swings, far worse than before. When not screetching, behaviour was "loopy", super-happy and still unfocused. Ceased 4 weeks into a 6 week trial - by necessity."

Ells Bells (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has severe ADHD and Autism. My son was graduated to 36 mg time release Concerta. His behaviour did improve very slightly, however, he lost nearly 10% of his body weight in a short 3 months. We could hardly get him eat. We started to supplement him on an immediate release 10mg Ritalin tablet before school and it was an absolute miracle. We removed the concerta and then increased his Ritalin to 10mg three times a day and its like a new child. While its the same drug, the delivery system is completely different. I firmly believe that the digestive system needs to be looked at for each individual taking Concerta. For my son, the delivery system of the Concerta did nothing positive"

mikeyinto (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fatigue: "I got prescribed ritalin ir 5 mg for depression caused by fatigue (worsened by chemo). At first, I thought taking a pill whenever I was depressed or fatigued would be awesome, but it sucks. All it turns into is a schedule, and taking a pill 3 times a day on an empty stomach becomes difficult. When it worked, it worked well, but the crash was terrible. Even when it was working, I couldn't even enjoy watching tv. It was horrible. Then, I was prescribed 20 mg of the slow release, which was much better. It lasts pretty much all day, there's no crash, and it gives me a little more energy to do things. It does decrease my appetite, but it's worth it. It does make it a little difficult to go to sleep on time, but it makes waking up early very easy"

michdavidadams (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed the 10mg IR Ritalin, to be taken three times a day a few weeks ago. To say the least, I have developed a tolerance to the drug. It has a bad comedown 2-3 hours after I take the drug. But it has done wonders for my depression and ADHD symptoms. The only downside I found is that it makes me feel like a zombie, too focused, much nervous and has a nasty after-effects. But so far it has been a revolutionary step in my life. I will try switching to the LA version though."

caduhunterbr (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Terrible experience. My son is affected with ASD and ADHD. We gave him Concerta for one day by prescription. All symptoms have worsen dramatically, He became extremely nervous and did not sleep a half of night."

SANAVA August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Methylphenidate (Ritalin), which is always understood to denote IMMEDIATE-RELEASE, is a miracle medication w/practically zero side effects.I mean true Schedule 2 stimulant narcotic methylphenidate ..not Adderall, not Dexedine,not dextroamphetamine, not atomoxetine. My weight, brain, overall health, wellness, & relationships are healthier on rigorous doses of methylphenidate (Immediate-Release plus Ritalin LA or Immediate-Release plus Concerta); however, pharmacies have to understand that the generic must be the true actual commercially available exact product in every aspect as brand. "

Ritalinimmediaterelease August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have only been on ritalin for a couple days now and the results are great. My concentration and focus has improved, I can get more things done and I feel more motivated and self assured. My social life is better and can keep a conversation going. The downsides for me where fast heart rate which made me feel anxious, a bad headache when I first took it and a decreased in appetite. Overall this is working for me so far and I would say to not abuse this drug, combine it with alcohol or anything else and to eat well before taking medicine. hope this helps"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I tried most of anti-depressants.None of them helped my depression over the last 16 years. Concerts 36 mg 3X day treated my depression completely. I am now leading normal life."

Inadjabry July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed this by my doctor and it was terrible. I stopped taking it after 5 days because my doctor told me to. It made me angry all the time. It did not help my concentration. Also, 3 days after taking it I still have shortness of breathe, my heart is still beating hard, and the left part of my chest has immense pressure on it. I'm never taking this stuff again. Trust me, nobody needs it."

John94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "My internist gave me methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Ritalin) for an ADHD disorder that I didn't even know I had. My God! My world finally made sense, and I was able to finally concentrate on a single task without having something pull me away for no earthly reason. And on top of that, the peripheral neuropathy in my feet, courtesy of a few early drugs in the HIV era, disappeared... totally. I didn't even need my methadone until I began to develop a tolerance for the methylphenidate. I'm the only person my pharmacist has heard of who experienced this effect, but I am sure not complaining. This is truly a miracle drug for me, but since I went to a larger insurance company, with it's own doctors, it's been refused it to me."

Chuck-e July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have bipolar disorder but mainly suffer with depressive episodes which can last up to 7 months . I had high hopes for this drug as I am drug resistant now and have tried every antidepressant and mood stabiliser. I expected it to be a stimulant! I've only been on it 2 weeks and my shrink says it needs 6 weeks to get into my system but all my research points to a stimulant working within hours . I'm on 10mg 3 x a day and all it does is make me sleep! Not very stimulating! This dose seems to work for most people, maybe I need a bigger dose but overall so far I feel worse because I hardly have the energy to get out of bed and I feel more stimulated by caffeine, side effects for me were intense headaches and nausea, lack of appetite."

Nobby1966 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was trying to fall asleep for 20 minutes then I said ohh crap I forgot to take it off. So now I will be awake for 3 more hours. It is very bad if you are a busy person like me. Uggg so tired but can't sleep."

To tired to make name Bla bla June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "After three years of constant downs with behavior, my son was finally diagnosed with ADHD at six. We’ve tried 10 mg ($60), 20mg ($99) and 30mg ($104)- all of which has worked for about a 1- 1.5 months and then stops. Our pros (when it is working): concentration improved (could actually sit down and read a chapter book), hyperactivity calmed down, but not enough to make him sluggish and school attitude improved. Cons: didn’t last long during the day as well as it stopped working after a month of taking every day as well as loss of appetite (lost 5 lbs over the last 5 months). Since we keep plateauing his doctor has switched him to Vyvanse."

KaylaL June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Severe Mood Dysregulation: "This brand did not help me at all. I have never got this brand before. I will never use this brand again."

June137 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of six. We tried Focalin first and it made him extremely weepy. A month later we tried Vyvanse and had a good experience with it for three years. There was a major rebound effect but we felt lucky to have some relief from symptoms for the hours that we did and dealt with the negatives. We moved from CA to a high altitude state and his meds went haywire. We tried Strattera for two months and he had a stable mood but zero focus. We started Concerta two weeks ago and are extremely happy. We aren't dealing with an afternoon rebound!!!! He is pleasant. He can focus. We are hopeful that the good will continue. I suggest trying this drug or another one if you aren't 100% satisfied."

Carojak (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started taking Ritalin about three months ago for my treatment-resistant depression, and it's been absolutely great, better than any antidepressant I've had so far (SSRIs, tricyclics etc). I take one 10mg pill in the morning, in combination with one 150mg Bupropion. This has been a pretty good combination, and very unusual here in Australia, since neither of these drugs are used to treat depression here, so I have a private script and use them off-label. I'm so glad my psychiatrist put me on to Ritalin, it just makes me come alive. Originally, I was to take it off-and-on on 'busy days' for energy, but now I take it everyday. I don't have any side-effects, and I'd highly recommend it."

punkpsychiatry June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "There are some things I love about this medicine, like my ability to focus and get things done. But I really hate the side effect of having no appetite because I'm skinny to begin with. It also increases my heart rate which can make my feel anxious. It also gives me diarrhea which my doctor said does happen to some people. It's super effective, but I wish I could get rid of those side effects. may be better for people who do not need to focus 12 hours a day like I do because I require 3 doses a day."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "At 55 years of age I am diagnosed with ADHD. It was something I always knew about myself (have Bsc Psych). However, historic issues of sexual abuse at school caused issues / depression / PTSD. I was first given Citalopram and diazepam. I cannot say with certainty it helped a lot. However, once diagnosed with adult ADHD I was prescribed Ritalin LA. It has been nothing short of a miracle for me. Up early, happier, and getting on with life as best I can. Some minor side effects went away as I continued. Also changed to a decent DE-CAFF coffee. Caffinated make me anxious and cancels the positives. Was easy to do. I see Ritalin LA as a positive for my depression."

trouble61 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017