User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 31 reviews 79 medications

Obesity 1 reviews 62 medications

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 611 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Terrible experience. My son is affected with ASD and ADHD. We gave him Concerta for one day by prescription. All symptoms have worsen dramatically, He became extremely nervous and did not sleep a half of night."

SANAVA August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Methylphenidate (Ritalin), which is always understood to denote IMMEDIATE-RELEASE, is a miracle medication w/practically zero side effects.I mean true Schedule 2 stimulant narcotic methylphenidate ..not Adderall, not Dexedine,not dextroamphetamine, not atomoxetine. My weight, brain, overall health, wellness, & relationships are healthier on rigorous doses of methylphenidate (Immediate-Release plus Ritalin LA or Immediate-Release plus Concerta); however, pharmacies have to understand that the generic must be the true actual commercially available exact product in every aspect as brand. "

Ritalinimmediaterelease August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have only been on ritalin for a couple days now and the results are great. My concentration and focus has improved, I can get more things done and I feel more motivated and self assured. My social life is better and can keep a conversation going. The downsides for me where fast heart rate which made me feel anxious, a bad headache when I first took it and a decreased in appetite. Overall this is working for me so far and I would say to not abuse this drug, combine it with alcohol or anything else and to eat well before taking medicine. hope this helps"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I tried most of anti-depressants.None of them helped my depression over the last 16 years. Concerts 36 mg 3X day treated my depression completely. I am now leading normal life."

Inadjabry July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed this by my doctor and it was terrible. I stopped taking it after 5 days because my doctor told me to. It made me angry all the time. It did not help my concentration. Also, 3 days after taking it I still have shortness of breathe, my heart is still beating hard, and the left part of my chest has immense pressure on it. I'm never taking this stuff again. Trust me, nobody needs it."

John94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "My internist gave me methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Ritalin) for an ADHD disorder that I didn't even know I had. My God! My world finally made sense, and I was able to finally concentrate on a single task without having something pull me away for no earthly reason. And on top of that, the peripheral neuropathy in my feet, courtesy of a few early drugs in the HIV era, disappeared... totally. I didn't even need my methadone until I began to develop a tolerance for the methylphenidate. I'm the only person my pharmacist has heard of who experienced this effect, but I am sure not complaining. This is truly a miracle drug for me, but since I went to a larger insurance company, with it's own doctors, it's been refused it to me."

Chuck-e July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I have bipolar disorder but mainly suffer with depressive episodes which can last up to 7 months . I had high hopes for this drug as I am drug resistant now and have tried every antidepressant and mood stabiliser. I expected it to be a stimulant! I've only been on it 2 weeks and my shrink says it needs 6 weeks to get into my system but all my research points to a stimulant working within hours . I'm on 10mg 3 x a day and all it does is make me sleep! Not very stimulating! This dose seems to work for most people, maybe I need a bigger dose but overall so far I feel worse because I hardly have the energy to get out of bed and I feel more stimulated by caffeine, side effects for me were intense headaches and nausea, lack of appetite."

Nobby1966 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was trying to fall asleep for 20 minutes then I said ohh crap I forgot to take it off. So now I will be awake for 3 more hours. It is very bad if you are a busy person like me. Uggg so tired but can't sleep."

To tired to make name Bla bla June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "After three years of constant downs with behavior, my son was finally diagnosed with ADHD at six. We’ve tried 10 mg ($60), 20mg ($99) and 30mg ($104)- all of which has worked for about a 1- 1.5 months and then stops. Our pros (when it is working): concentration improved (could actually sit down and read a chapter book), hyperactivity calmed down, but not enough to make him sluggish and school attitude improved. Cons: didn’t last long during the day as well as it stopped working after a month of taking every day as well as loss of appetite (lost 5 lbs over the last 5 months). Since we keep plateauing his doctor has switched him to Vyvanse."

KaylaL June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Severe Mood Dysregulation: "This brand did not help me at all. I have never got this brand before. I will never use this brand again."

June137 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of six. We tried Focalin first and it made him extremely weepy. A month later we tried Vyvanse and had a good experience with it for three years. There was a major rebound effect but we felt lucky to have some relief from symptoms for the hours that we did and dealt with the negatives. We moved from CA to a high altitude state and his meds went haywire. We tried Strattera for two months and he had a stable mood but zero focus. We started Concerta two weeks ago and are extremely happy. We aren't dealing with an afternoon rebound!!!! He is pleasant. He can focus. We are hopeful that the good will continue. I suggest trying this drug or another one if you aren't 100% satisfied."

Carojak (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started taking Ritalin about three months ago for my treatment-resistant depression, and it's been absolutely great, better than any antidepressant I've had so far (SSRIs, tricyclics etc). I take one 10mg pill in the morning, in combination with one 150mg Bupropion. This has been a pretty good combination, and very unusual here in Australia, since neither of these drugs are used to treat depression here, so I have a private script and use them off-label. I'm so glad my psychiatrist put me on to Ritalin, it just makes me come alive. Originally, I was to take it off-and-on on 'busy days' for energy, but now I take it everyday. I don't have any side-effects, and I'd highly recommend it."

punkpsychiatry June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "There are some things I love about this medicine, like my ability to focus and get things done. But I really hate the side effect of having no appetite because I'm skinny to begin with. It also increases my heart rate which can make my feel anxious. It also gives me diarrhea which my doctor said does happen to some people. It's super effective, but I wish I could get rid of those side effects. may be better for people who do not need to focus 12 hours a day like I do because I require 3 doses a day."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "At 55 years of age I am diagnosed with ADHD. It was something I always knew about myself (have Bsc Psych). However, historic issues of sexual abuse at school caused issues / depression / PTSD. I was first given Citalopram and diazepam. I cannot say with certainty it helped a lot. However, once diagnosed with adult ADHD I was prescribed Ritalin LA. It has been nothing short of a miracle for me. Up early, happier, and getting on with life as best I can. Some minor side effects went away as I continued. Also changed to a decent DE-CAFF coffee. Caffinated make me anxious and cancels the positives. Was easy to do. I see Ritalin LA as a positive for my depression."

trouble61 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My daughter has been taking Aptensio for 3 months now. She takes 50mg once a day. She has taken just about every drug on the market. The longest lasting about 8 months. She takes the Aptensio at 7am and by 3:00 when she comes home she is a total train wreck! The come down for her is fast and has her acting worse than before medicated. She says she isn't really finding her focus to be much better when at school. However, in the past 3 months she has put on 5 lbs. She is always hungry which is a total change from any other stimulant med she has tried. I take the same med and have put on 13lbs. in three months. We know of two other children that have gained as well and love the med. So if your child is under weight from stimulants try this one"

female 11 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking Aptensio now for 3 months. I have been diagnosed with ADHD now for about 2 1/2 years. I have taken just about every non stimulant and stimulant on the market. I am currently taking 50mg of the Aptensio once a day. I am finding myself still scattered brained and my memory is horrible. I think the pill is lasting about 6 hrs and then I have a hard come down making me a total witch! The one thing that I have noticed is that I have put 12 lbs. on in 3 months. I am constantly eating! I had my thyroid checked and it came back normal. I have spoke with other people that say they are gaining weight on the pill as well."

Female 45 years old May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which I didn't think I had until I started college. Things then became more clear! I started off on Adderall, which I hated because it made me irritible, jittery, and I found it totally unhelpful. Weary the of stimulants, I switched to Wellbutrin, which helped, but only a little. I decided to give Concerta a shot, as my psychiatrist told me it's like a more specialized version of Ritalin, and I've been amazed by the results! It lasts me most of the day, and I can finally focus on work and conversations! My quality of life is so much better now that I'm on Concerta. I take the 27mg XL dose."

Jeff777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was late being diagnosed with ADHD, (late 40s) I was diagnosed Bipolar in 1992, but never felt this was the correct diagnosis as my meds never helped me with all the different thoughts going on in my head. As soon as I started concerta, I felt more relaxed, my concentration improved greatly and I could sleep peacefully without any benzodiazepines. I am currently (for over 4 years) on a dose of 72mg, it still is as effective as when I started and luckily I haven't any of the listed side effects. I think if anybody feels they have ADHD they should seek Psychiatric help to do the relevant tests."

Peter55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Had ADHD symptoms growing up, due to cultural reasons and beliefs, family always dismissed it. In 2nd year law school at the moment, had to work 5x harder than others. Started living away from family and finally got ADHD diagnosis done. Was prescribed concerta. I was 154cm height and 47kg before concerta. Titration period - 18mg 1 week, 27mg 1w, 36mg 3w and 54mg 8w. 18-27mg at first was amazing. No side effects, brimming with motivation but, wore in 4h. 36mg, was ok but wasn't as great as the initial effect, wore off after 4h. 54mg, developed an uncontrollable cough, mood swings, dry mouth, anxiety. Lost 5kg weight. Now on Vyvanse. Cough took 2 + weeks since quitting concerta to stop. Advice - if side effects are bad & lasts 1w+ change meds!"

Ricola May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fatigue: "After 3 years of success with Wellbutrin, it finally pooped out on me. Unfortunately, as a result of this, my energy levels dropped immediately to the point where I could barely get out of bed. I had blood work done, but nothing was found that would explain the fatigue, like vitamin deficiency or thyroid issues. No problems with sleep either. So my dr prescribed 18 mg of concerta and it's been pretty close to a miracle. I can actually get up in the morning again. I feel like I did when I first started Wellbutrin. One issue is that after ~2 months on 18mg, I can feel myself not responding to the drug as well as I did initially. Part of this might just be my imagination, but I know that this is common with stimulants."

SallyWally May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Fantastic controlled for the first time in my life"

Bloomers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My daughter was put on this for her ADHD and it has worked reasonably thus far. We weren't looking for a miracle cure as everything has its pros and cons. We have Tricare Prime and I pay $25 a month for her bottle."

Sherbr (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Tips for taking off the patch: use oil (we use skin so soft, but any oil will work) to rub into the skin around the edges of the patch and let it sit for a little bit... maybe about 20 - 30 seconds... pull it gently while continuing to rub oil into the edges a little at a time, repeat. The oil dissolves the "glue" and also helps remove the sticky residue that shows up a day later, easier to just wipe off after being sprayed with a mist of oil than scrubbed off with soap and water. Breakfast is all ready to eat when she wakes up- sometimes I make a high calorie, high nutrient smoothie and give it to her while she's still in bed, put the patch on at the same time, let her snooze for 20 more minutes; PM gets high cal/high nutrient snack"

Anonymous April 11, 2017