User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression

Severe Mood Dysregulation

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 6.6 629 reviews

Reviews for Methylphenidate

For Not Listed / Other: "Dosage keeps getting increased and no meds added but patient is now having tremors. Physician is lowering the dose this time and adding an afternoon dose to see if it helps."

Beckers7976 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son, 11, had been on Concerta for two years. We took him off of this med because he was getting very aggressive, with me and his siblings, and also kept saying he was going to kill himself."

Paintlady (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I’m a 19 year old athletic kid, and when I was prescribed this 3 years ago it did wonders. It was my junior year of high school and I was prescribed 10mg twice a day, once in the morning and once at lunch, with an optional one in the afternoon if I had a lot of homework or studying. My grades were much better and it didn’t have any side effects. Now, 3 years later I have a bad tolerance and I had to up my dosage to 20mg three times a day. I now take it to even make it to class and if I don’t take it I can barely stay awake. Like many people said it makes you feel extremely sluggish like a zombie, and it’s an absolutely awful feeling. I lose emotions, have mood swings and even my sex drive with my girlfriend is completely destroyed."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "І am a 28 year old female with ADD and mild form of narcolepsy. Before Concerta, І was tired and sleepy ALL the time and distracted. It’s gotten to the point where іt was affecting my work. І thought enough was enough and went to my doctor. Concerta was the first medication he prescribed and it’s the best. But we experimented with Adderral (good pill but knocked me out at 7:00pm after іt wore off, so іt didn’t address narcolepsy) and Ritalin (heart rate was just insane) and Vyvanse (gave me anxiety that I never had). With Concerta І have 0 side effects, І am never sleepy anymore (but sleep well at night) and distraction levels have decreased significantly. Giving іt a 9 because І am not at 100% with focus. І wish it were slightly stronger."

Akurian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "For a while it was good, I was doing okay in school and focusing more, but the more I increased my dose the worse the quality of life became, my social anxiety went through the roof. The worst part about it for me was that when my dose was 72 mg the cutoff or withdrawal was horrible, as soon as it wore off my face would get a big red rash and would pulsate, and my pores would get huge, this would happen everyday, and it was irritating and made me self conscious, so I took myself off the medication and noticed it stopped. I haven’t been on it since and I would like to start a new medication with less side effects."

Sophmobile November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This medication worked fantastically for me! When I started taking it I was at the bottom of my class, struggling at school, and within 2 years I'd moved to the top. It totally transformed how I was able to concentrate. I always felt like this allowed me to 'be the real me' because it gave me the focus and patience to do the things I wanted to do. It helped me socially because I was able think and communicate better (more tactfully!) In terms of side effects I can't take it too late in the day or else I wouldn't sleep at night, but nothing else. I know some people have described many more side effects but I didn't get anything like that. The only downside is that after 19 years on the drug, I don't find it as effective anymore."

Woolly Jumper (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I was first diagnosed with a chronic depression, other causes were also examined, among others, manic depression, Asperger and ADHD. It turns out it is ADHD and Ritalin helps with ADHD. So if ADHD is the cause of your depression, Ritalin is the med for you. I other words, I would suggest that all those with a depression who are helped by Methylphenidate like for instance Ritalin see a licensed psychiatrist and check for ADHD. The sooner you get diagnosed the better your life will be."

David1965 November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "With multiple spinal surgeries accompanied by anxiety and depression I have been on multiple antidepressants and anxiolytics for 4 decades. Tricyclics, SSRI’s with seroquel added in for sleep made me a fat unmotivated anhedonic waste of space. A psych ARNP put me on up to 40 mg methylphenidate twice a day, clonazepam 0.5 mg up to 3 times a day, and 150 mg of trazadone at bedtime. Lost weight, hit the gym returned to work and actually engaged in life again. Once more I have the range of affect that the other meds stole. It may be Atypical but it sure is working for me !!!"

Rangerette (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Concerta makes you focused and and concentrated. If you wanna get stuff done you can get it done in a breeze. You won’t notice that your enjoying what your doing, what I mean by that is like u know how homework is boring and especially if you have ADHD you have impulse problems, when you take concerta it’s like when your doing it, time passes by a lot and you won’t notice. Like you look at the time and for example it’s 2:30 while your doing your homework like I said the time will be 4:00 when you look back at your phone"

Mustafa2827 October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "I'm 49 years old and recently diagnosed with ADHD. My doctor put me on this medication 18mg about a month ago, I feel somewhat better not quite totally better still have trouble staying focused my anxiety is all but gone so thats great. I've stopped biting my nails and clenching my teeth, but I always heard that you lose weight on this medicine, but I feel like I'm gaining weight - actually I am, and I don't stop eating not big meals but I'm constantly eating something! even after a meal. Is that normal? I can't find anywhere where it says that you can gain weight..."

Cachito (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am a 20 y/o girl. I was on 54 mg of Concerta once a day. This drug was the worst thing thats ever happened to me. It did help my grades but I felt most of it was placebo and the fact that the side effects were so horrible I wanted to focus on work to distract myself. It made my anxiety unbearable and constant. My heart beat in my head. My whole left arm and pinky would feel numb and prickly. I knew I was hungry but could not eat and was disgusted by food. I fell into a horrible depression and felt just overwhelming darkness. The pros was that it made sitting in long classes and retaining information much easier. I felt excited about learning and getting work done. Overall it helped with school but the side effects are not worth it."

Anonymous October 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Both my daughters are on aptensio my 12 year old is on 50mg and 9 year old 20 mg. My 12 year old is 4'11 , 80 pounds. She eats and eats and eats all day. She's constantly hungry and still having problems in school! Also notice she has mood swings and gets mad more easily! I feel helps hyper part , but not fully helping focusing, she been on it over a year now! My 9 year old eats I would say normal! Helps her with focus and hyper. So I would say definitely helps her."

Stl_84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's amazing how much more focused my 16 year old son is, since he started his daily 36mg Concerta. His work effort and work quality is improved dramatically. Yes, managing his food consumption has been a bit of work. His appetite is definitely not what it used to be, but we're working on it. Although it's only been 3 weeks, we are all thrilled with his response. Good luck to all!"

EJCALI September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's bad for kids with ADHD because when I was 5 they gave it to me it kept me up for 72 hours and I took it every 4 days."

blakers September 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "When my son couldn't swallow, the patch was the perfect alternative for his ADD. He never did have the hyperactivity. We used it for years but he developed a nasty allergic skin reaction to it and we had to stop using it. We miss the ease of it and the simplicity of the 8am-6pm use of it. By bedtime he was ready to sleep. With Concerta he has to take Benadryl to help him sleep. If only they could have fixed that problem"

Mumreese (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Thinking that there has been a misdiagnosis as Ritalin had the opposite to that promised. Violence, aggressive tendencies and amplified mood swings, far worse than before. When not screetching, behaviour was "loopy", super-happy and still unfocused. Ceased 4 weeks into a 6 week trial - by necessity."

Ells Bells (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son has severe ADHD and Autism. My son was graduated to 36 mg time release Concerta. His behaviour did improve very slightly, however, he lost nearly 10% of his body weight in a short 3 months. We could hardly get him eat. We started to supplement him on an immediate release 10mg Ritalin tablet before school and it was an absolute miracle. We removed the concerta and then increased his Ritalin to 10mg three times a day and its like a new child. While its the same drug, the delivery system is completely different. I firmly believe that the digestive system needs to be looked at for each individual taking Concerta. For my son, the delivery system of the Concerta did nothing positive"

mikeyinto (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Fatigue: "I got prescribed ritalin ir 5 mg for depression caused by fatigue (worsened by chemo). At first, I thought taking a pill whenever I was depressed or fatigued would be awesome, but it sucks. All it turns into is a schedule, and taking a pill 3 times a day on an empty stomach becomes difficult. When it worked, it worked well, but the crash was terrible. Even when it was working, I couldn't even enjoy watching tv. It was horrible. Then, I was prescribed 20 mg of the slow release, which was much better. It lasts pretty much all day, there's no crash, and it gives me a little more energy to do things. It does decrease my appetite, but it's worth it. It does make it a little difficult to go to sleep on time, but it makes waking up early very easy"

michdavidadams (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed the 10mg IR Ritalin, to be taken three times a day a few weeks ago. To say the least, I have developed a tolerance to the drug. It has a bad comedown 2-3 hours after I take the drug. But it has done wonders for my depression and ADHD symptoms. The only downside I found is that it makes me feel like a zombie, too focused, much nervous and has a nasty after-effects. But so far it has been a revolutionary step in my life. I will try switching to the LA version though."

caduhunterbr (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Terrible experience. My son is affected with ASD and ADHD. We gave him Concerta for one day by prescription. All symptoms have worsen dramatically, He became extremely nervous and did not sleep a half of night."

SANAVA August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "Methylphenidate (Ritalin), which is always understood to denote IMMEDIATE-RELEASE, is a miracle medication w/practically zero side effects.I mean true Schedule 2 stimulant narcotic methylphenidate ..not Adderall, not Dexedine,not dextroamphetamine, not atomoxetine. My weight, brain, overall health, wellness, & relationships are healthier on rigorous doses of methylphenidate (Immediate-Release plus Ritalin LA or Immediate-Release plus Concerta); however, pharmacies have to understand that the generic must be the true actual commercially available exact product in every aspect as brand. "

Ritalinimmediaterelease August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have only been on ritalin for a couple days now and the results are great. My concentration and focus has improved, I can get more things done and I feel more motivated and self assured. My social life is better and can keep a conversation going. The downsides for me where fast heart rate which made me feel anxious, a bad headache when I first took it and a decreased in appetite. Overall this is working for me so far and I would say to not abuse this drug, combine it with alcohol or anything else and to eat well before taking medicine. hope this helps"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I tried most of anti-depressants.None of them helped my depression over the last 16 years. Concerts 36 mg 3X day treated my depression completely. I am now leading normal life."

Inadjabry July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed this by my doctor and it was terrible. I stopped taking it after 5 days because my doctor told me to. It made me angry all the time. It did not help my concentration. Also, 3 days after taking it I still have shortness of breathe, my heart is still beating hard, and the left part of my chest has immense pressure on it. I'm never taking this stuff again. Trust me, nobody needs it."

John94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For ADHD: "My internist gave me methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Ritalin) for an ADHD disorder that I didn't even know I had. My God! My world finally made sense, and I was able to finally concentrate on a single task without having something pull me away for no earthly reason. And on top of that, the peripheral neuropathy in my feet, courtesy of a few early drugs in the HIV era, disappeared... totally. I didn't even need my methadone until I began to develop a tolerance for the methylphenidate. I'm the only person my pharmacist has heard of who experienced this effect, but I am sure not complaining. This is truly a miracle drug for me, but since I went to a larger insurance company, with it's own doctors, it's been refused it to me."

Chuck-e July 12, 2017