User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Ritalin, Concerta, Adhansia XR, Quillivant XR, Ritalin LA, Jornay PM, Daytrana, QuilliChew ER, Metadate CD, Aptensio XR, Cotempla XR-ODT, Methylin, Methylin ER Relexxii

Methylphenidate has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 859 ratings on Drugs.com. 62% of those users who reviewed Methylphenidate reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Depression   8.8
Severe Mood Dysregulation  Off-label 4.0
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 7.2 859 reviews

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Sleepy · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “I switched from Modafinil to Ritalin this year. Every time I take this medicine in the morning, I stay awake. But with a lot of side effects. Fast heartbeat, morning sickness/nausea, dizziness, exhausted, trouble sleeping during the night, anxiety, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, often migraines or headaches. I try to avoid the medicine, if I can. I like modasomil more.”

Lullypup February 21, 2021

Concerta (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: “I took this medication along with another narcolepsy medication for about 3 months. At first, I was taking Armodafinil 250mg and Concerta 36mg ER every morning. I became extremely anxious and paranoid about irrational things. I also became very OCD as well, which is not normal for me. After explaining that to my doctor, I ended up reducing Armodafinil to 150mg and continued the Concerta 36mg ER. I did this for about a month but I didn’t feel like the medication was benefiting me enough to continue taking it. I also had dry mouth when on the medication and I was physically unable to yell. My mouth and throat felt like sandpaper. Personally I didn’t think the meds were helping me enough with attention span and alertness. I quit Concerta 36mg ER and went back to just taking Armodafinil 250mg. I have been focusing a lot on my diet and exercise which I felt has made a huge difference. Also prioritizing my mental health. But everyone with narcolepsy is different!”

Todd February 16, 2021

Ritalin (methylphenidate): “I have adhd but my main problem is having cirrhosis of the liver . I'm 59 yrs old and have other problems, like hypothyroid and without Ritalin I can't concentrate or hardly clean my home, keep appointments ect . I hate being labeled as a Ritalin patient and try stopping the med. If used right, it's helpful and needed .”

Marts · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2021

For ADHD: “I found this med didn’t really work for me at all.. it made me tired and it increased my blood pressure to 150/90 and that’s when I quit taking it.”

laysbbqarebestlays February 5, 2021

For ADHD: “Works well for ADHD, but causes some side effects than I find to be troubling. The main one is heightened anxiety, more specifically the physical symptoms of anxiety, such as trembling, fast heart rate, sweating, etc.”

Jennie · Taken for less than 1 month February 4, 2021

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “I've been on Concerta for a few weeks now, I was just recently diagnosed with ADHD and it's my first medication. I am a 15 year old female. I started with 18 mg but didn't feel any difference. It only decreased my appetite (I lost about 5 lbs a week) to the point where I became underweight. My doctor recently upped my dose to 36mg and I feel worse than before. I've been having a hard time falling asleep and have slept very restlessly. I am still losing weight. I've also noticed that I feel more moody and impulsive. And I have been hyper fixating more and lashing out on my family. I have a doctor's appointment next week where I hope to switch medications.”

Chaz · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2021

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “Concerta did absolutely nothing for me. Started on 18mg, no effect but this was expected because its a low dose. Went up to 36mg, no effect. Tried 54mg as a last resort, no change at all. This medication is supposed to be a stimulant but honestly I could take 54mg before bed and sleep for 10 hours. Even my blood pressure and appetite stayed the same no matter how high the dose was. I think I'm a non-responder. Looking to switch to Vyvanse after this months supply finishes.”

Emah · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 27, 2021

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: “In 2017 after years of struggling with sleep issues I got myself a sleep study. It turned out I had Narcolepsy without cataplexy after a full night time study and MSLT. At first I was taking 10mg of Ritalin 2x a day, that wasn't working so she switched me to 10mg of Ritalin 4x daily. I was finding that I'd get terrible headaches from it so she tried me on Provigil 200mg. That alone wasn't working as your body adjusts to it. I started supplementing with 10mg of Ritalin 1x a day. That also wasn't working. I now take Provigil 200mg at 5am and supplement that with 20mg of Ritalin at noon and move on to another 10mg of Ritalin around 4pm and I'm getting through my 12 hour work days, plus still have energy when I get home! It's absolutely wonderful to feel like a normal functioning human being again. No headaches, no anxiety, concentration is perfect and I feel like me again. Adjust your meds if it's not working, fight to feel better.”

Tired · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2021

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “This is my third time taking Concerta, today I am sitting at my lecture. The other two times I was not at home. I feel numb, I can’t pay attention, it’s almost like there is nothing in my head. I was on Vyvanse before which worked great, I just didn’t like the increased heart rate and blood pressure. I really don’t like this medication, I’m just laying in bed skipping my lectures waiting for it to wear off so I can actually think straight again.”

Rose · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 15, 2021

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “I am a 20 yo women 145 pounds and have been diagnosed with ADD since I was 8. I had tried numerous medications to try and help over the last 12 years but it always seemed the side effects outweighed the good it was doing. I wouldn’t eat and felt depressed/zombie like on other medications. I take Ritalin 10mg twice daily. It usually lasts around 3-4 hours. I have to stop and tell myself to eat something sometimes and my heart rate becomes faster, but other than that those are my only side effects. I feel great at the end of the day and am very productive during those hours. Ritalin is the first one that works for me and the side effects don’t outweigh the good it’s doing for me.”

KK · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 14, 2021

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “My granddaughter has been on medication to treat ADHD for 4 years. The doctor changed her to 20 MG Aptensio XR. It was not a good experience, she was completely unable to focus in class.”

SNM · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 25, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “Since starting Concerta a year and a half ago, everything from being impulsive and lousy concentrating is ten times better, although I still suffer from time to time and every workday is a challenge but it simply make everything easier !”

Ft · Taken for less than 1 month December 24, 2020

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “Slightly improves my working memory, noticed I'm not forgetting things so much, can pay attention when people are explaining things to me too. Initially was making me jittery but that has gone away now. Unfortunately it makes me extremely nauseous so I'd like to change meds.”

Chad12 · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “It should be labeled that this gives you severe depression and suicidal episodes for the price of placebo Nothing but placebo for my ADHD Didn’t helped a single bit, except giving me a suicidal thoughts and really bad depression. Please for the sake of your well being do not take this, I repeat, do not take this”

Donald · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2020

Jornay PM (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “Originally I was on the authorized generic of concerta. Well, when the authorized generic stopped being developed and all other generics became available at pharmacies I was switched to those. All of the generics of Concerta are awful and they do NOT use the OROS mechanism. For that reason we finally were able to switch to Jornay PM. Normally I take a very high dose of products containing Methylphenidate. My psych has started me on the 60mg version of it. So far it is okay, but it's def not as strong as of a release since this brand actually releases a lot less at a time. I think the medication will work perfectly for me once I get on the higher doses. Since being on it I've been very sleepy, but I know for a fact that the highest dose will be good. I do notice that it does somewhat help me wake up better in the morning, but not well enough. Will update you guys with more info once I have my dose upped.”

Mack · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2020

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “I have ADHD and started taking Ritalin two weeks ago. I am also diagnosed with severe anxiety. I take 10mg twice a day and sometimes it makes me very anxious and I always forget to eat. I hope this will wear off soon but right now every day is a struggle. I am much more focused though...”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2020

For Depression: “Please note that the reviews here will mostly be from people that have had good results from this alternative treatment. It doesn't work for most which is why it isn't FDA approved for depression. Buuuut, methylphenidate has made a difference for my depression. I do have suspected ADHD but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've been depressed for ages and I tried this. I have tried tons of antidepressants. I still on prozac and lamictal. Methylphenidate has made as big an impact as those two. It allows me to feel more connected, interested, calm and stable. I take 5mg three times a day but I may increase. It sometimes gives me nausea, headaches and fatigue but the pros outweigh the cons (I do take the cheapest generic) .of you've tried the more conventional treatments, gives this a go. And who knows, if it works for you, maybe you should get tested for adhd.”

Yahannnne December 11, 2020

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “Please think twice about putting your children on this medication. Children have innately low attention levels, it is 100% normal. The vast majority of people either grow out of this or learn to cope with it without any trouble. I was 12 years old when I was prescribed this drug. I took it for two years before switching to adderall, a very similar medication that is extremely closely related to methamphetamine. I am now 28, and rely on this medication and my tolerance is 3 times the amount I am prescribed, which is the maximum dosage allowed. Please heed this advice parents. My grades improved drastically at first. Then I rapidly developed a serious pill problem and it has caused an unbelieveable amount of harm and damage to my life. As someone who was prescribed this in my preteen developing years, PLEASE- your child does not need this medicine. Do not expect adult level attention spans from your young children... you can end up ruining their lives by putting them on this stuff.”

Monopoly Man · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 8, 2020

QuilliChew ER (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “QuilliChew ER not only gave me RLS, it also put me in a pretty bad place socially. I was hyperaware of myself, and always nervous. Lost all my confidence, and a decent bit of my personality. You might have a different experience, and I really, really hope you don't have to go through this as well. Good luck.”

Kaz · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2020

For ADHD: “I'm currently 18, M, and I've been taking this med for about 3 years. It worked at first, and I don't remember much from the first year and a half on it, so I guess nothing notably bad happened at first. Later on, though, it started to really affect me. It got rid of my appetite, and it made me introverted and paranoid to the point of staying absolutely silent for a full year in high school. I would always be scared that people would hear my thoughts, and that every word I spoke was somehow wrong or negative. It would trigger intense anxiety, and make my social life, as well as home life and academic preformance a living nightmare. Never again.”

Jim · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2020

For ADHD: “AWFUL! Had no effect on concentration, attention, or decision making. It made me horribly depressed and irritable all the time. When it was leaving my system in the evening I was an absolute wreck, couldn’t focus or sit still, random crying for no reason, an all around bad time.”

Daughter taken for 3 years · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 17, 2020

Methylin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: “This medication really helps my daughter in the school setting - she is able to focus and do her assignments. Without it she really struggles and doesn't like school. She is 9 and has been on it since she was 6 years old. She used to have loss of appetite at the very beginning but she got her appetite back once she got used to the medication. The only negative is that at night after taking the medication 2x at school she is moody and irritable at times.”

Ldyto · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 17, 2020

For ADHD: “I took methylphenidate for my ADHD for almost a year. I was pretty much always active and ate healthy as much as I could. I went from weighing 210 pounds to 265 in 6 months. I could tell I was getting fatter but I wasn’t aware how big I actually was. I’m not on anything anymore and I weigh 230 now but thats my experience.”

NTADD November 9, 2020

For ADHD: “Took this for depression and ADD. Started out taking 10mg in the AM, and then 10mg at noon. Worked well enough for about 2mos, but I found it was wearing off around 3:30, and I would get VERY VERY tired. It gave me a little boost of attentiveness and focus between 10AM and 3:30PM, but nothing superhuman (like Adderall), and frankly not quite enough as I still avoided any tasks that felt "too big". And because it wore off so quickly, I I could barely move and did nothing all evening at home. I did lose 20lbs in the first 2.5mos that I took it. By the third month, I was feeling the effects of it less and less, my appetite came back in force, and I went back to binge eating. My doctor wanted me to increase to 30mg a day but I chose not to as, 4 months after I started it, my hair began falling out by the handful. I've stopped taking it because of this. I have no idea why the hair loss began a full 4mos later, but it did, and it's absolutely due to this medication.”

fuzzy · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: “I take this med Concerta for narcolepsy - 36 mg 2 times daily and it works ok - the side effects are troubling. Mood swings, irritability, foggy brain, memory issues. The good and the bad are an even balance at this point.”