User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 24 reviews 78 medications

7.4
Obesity 1 reviews 61 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 502 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 17 and have been taking 18mg Concerta every day for a week and a half. This is the second medication I've tried after being diagnosed with ADHD (I was also diagnosed with major depression). First I tried Adderall, and while it made me feel very alert and productive, I could not handle the severe depressed feelings from the comedown. So far Concerta has made me feel productive and positive for about 3 hours, and then depression slowly creeps in and gets progressively worse for about 8 more hours. It's not as intense as the depression from Adderall (which even led to suicidal thoughts), but it lasts longer. I also become irritable, anxious, and tired. I've also lost weight because trying to eat makes me feel queasy."

ap0819 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Yes it helped a lot and i love the fact that i can concentrate now because before i couldn't concentrate at all. The thing is that after a few hours, i start to feel really depressed and really emotionnal but i love the fact that i can express myself better now."

lady2121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "18mg dose, day 1. Was hungover so took paracetamol, had taken ritalin as a kid and this is the first time I had meds in years, had a migraine, was irritable, tunnel vision, extreme anxiety almost brought to tears, slight suicidal tendancies, hallucinations relating to anxiety and had a hard time articulating myself as my memory was shot and my thoughts were rapid and I felt impulsive and dehydrated very easily, however I feared worse effects from withdrawels so I took it again the next day and I played abit of guitar and that set my mood for the whole day, constantly euphoric. ive just passed day 3 and hardly felt any effect off the drug, overall remained productive and achieved everything I wanted even on worst day. Will see how it goes."

pandarada July 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Do yourself a favor and stay away from this drug. After being on this medication for about a month I began to experience auditory and visual hallucinations, appetite loss, insomnia and heart palpitations. It did nothing to relieve my ADHD either. Doc tried lowering the dosage and changing what time I would take it, but it made little difference. I flushed the rest down the toilet and stopped taking it after 6 months."

Stan G1994 June 22, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Daytrana made me manic, paranoid, and eventually psychotic. I had no difficulty stopping using it--no cravings. After I was off it I had withdrawal symptoms the likes of which I cannot describe; simply sheer misery and dread, almost total insomnia. It last 1.5 years."

SoulDog Newtrix June 22, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: " I have been using Concerta for many years. It has helped so much, but the only downside to it is it makes me lose weight. I went off of my meds for about three months and gained 50 pounds. This was because I had the habit of eating whatever I want whenever I want and not gain any weight. I was an A student and as soon as I went off my meds I was getting Fs in all of my classes. I then went back on my meds and within three weeks of me being back on concerta, I lost all of the weight I had gained(because I had to make the habit of not eating so much within those three months), I raised some of my grades to As and some to Ds. I still passed 7th grade because of my circumstance.I have ADD, ADHD, and Cerebral Paulsey."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am male, 50 years old and recently diagnosed with ADHD. Started taking Concerta almost 4 weeks ago, and much like everyone else, started at 18mg dosage and now at 54mg. I'm not really sure how Concerta has affected me in my daily life yet, accept perhaps helping me getting into deep sleep and dream again. there are number of symptoms that I like to share with you: - I wasn't much of a forgetful person to start with, but now I tend to forget things - definitely low libido and ejaculation issue - lack of appetite - lost interest talking to people specially woman/ mind you, I'm single - no problems sleeping, though I also take 10mg Cipralex"

Ray1332 June 19, 2016

For ADHD: "I am sixteen, I have had Attention problems since I was little and I was put into special education classes because of it. I didn't go to the doctor for a diagnosis until a couple of months ago. When I went to the doctor she said I had all the symptoms so she gave me the option of medication. I said I would try it so she prescribed me 20 mg of Methylphenidate, it lasts me about 6 hours. It really helped on my ACT, I tried to take the ACT without using it and I didn't do well at all. I took the ACT with the medication and I did so much better. I also like it because it makes me a nicer person. I am literally kind to everyone. The only bad thing is that when it wears off I am really tired, probably because I am focused for so long."

Shannoniscool (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Today was my first day taking concerta. I am 19 and have pretty severe ADHD and a little anxiety that coincides with the ADHD. I took 36mg at 8:30 am and kicked in at 10. I definitely noticed it, I felt alert and energetic but not focused, and I still found myself pretty forgetful before leaving for work. By the end of work I felt really emotionless and had a head ache, and when I got home at 6 I began crying for no particular reason. After crying I felt much better and focused very well on school work. Now I feel happier but surprised by how much of a roller coaster the whole day was. Overall I'm not sure this is the medication for me, hoping this reaction is normal and it just takes some time to adjust."

ellesloth19 June 15, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "COULD NOT STOP EATING! After taking Ritalin for about 1 month, I noticed a strong desire to snack. Just munch on anything; crackers, peanut butter, carrots. Whatever was around. It was like the constant munchies. Then the snacking turned into constant eating after another month. A constant desire to eat in order to feel good. It was as if I didn't feel well, and only eating would take the edge off. So about 2 months and 10 pounds later, I switched to Adderall. Why this made me eat like mad I'll never know..."

PollyDarton May 29, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was recently prescribed generic form of Ritalin for Aspergers/lack of focus issues. I am in my low 40s and used Meth recreationally for years, although I gave that up thankfully, a while back. This is the third pill I have taken and I assure you, the effects of this drug mimic, in many ways, taking a moderate amount of Meth, although not as strong. However, I realize that it affects different people, different ways based on their chemistry. I am not sure I will take it all the time but it does give me energy and new focus, I was lacking. I can see how this drug could be addictive to some people. But it is extremely expensive."

MercuryMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Life saver"

Kie Kie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2016

For ADHD: "Work ok. Longer time to kick in but not a terrible crash. The yellow 20s work the best for me. I never knew what was wrong with me until I was diagnosed at 25(30 now). Overall they do the job"

906rules (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

For ADHD: "I've been on this medication for over six months now for my severe ADHD. I take it as needed to get my studying done. Usually 10mg two or three times a day does the trick nicely. Before starting Ritalin I failed miserably at college and could never focus or study for more than 1 minute. Now I get near perfect scores across all my subjects. I take it in the evening (after 7pm) as this is when I get my work done. Also I experience no comedown or crash when I take it in the evening. This medication literally saved my life allowing me to continue my studies and pursue my interests. It hasn't lost it's effectiveness in over six months and I have very little side effects. God bless Novartis for inventing this life changing drug."

John1828 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 6, 2016

Ritalin-SR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Updated since my last report. I tried 1-20mg & 1- 10mg; 4 hours later 1-20mg; 4 hours later 1-10mg. Been trying this for a couple weeks & so far it is working fine, from the time I wake up till the time I hit the hay."

Beebop56 (taken for 10 years or more) April 19, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Iv'e been on comcerta 2 weeks now n just gone up to 36mg I've had ADHD all my life and only just been diagnosed, always wondered why I can be anything I want end up going off the rails! Anyways this medication has basically changed me in a good way, I think if u really have ADHD this medication works n only doesn't work when u haven't got it! First week struggled sleeping but fine now, n theres no loss on my appetite I just don't crave the sugar n junk food that I used to so its a win win for me coz I'm a boxer and been in sport all my life! I can focus proper n its basically a miracle, for me, so far like :)"

micky2016 April 14, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am an adult female. I was prescribed 10 mg once a day. My counselor advised my Behavioral Health MD to treat me for possible ADD/ADHD. I'm also taking clonopin and Ambien, which might account for my reaction- Ritalin made me sleepy and kind of depressed! I was really surprised, as I'd never heard of that reaction. Also taking Lamictal and Trileptal for bipolar. Hm.... I sure would like to know if others have this reaction, or if upping the dose would possibly make me not so depressed."

msluckey1 April 10, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I take the generic form of Ritalin. I have actually lost weight and appetite with this medication. I also have Bipolar Depression, PTSD,social anxiety, and Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability(formerly called or known as intellectual disability or mental retardation: I use a much more updated suitable labelling of disability. I am actually too advanced and higher functioning. In some cases GLD is more proper or acceptable for me.) My medication does in fact help. I also take Vistaril. I actually had ADD/ADHD symptoms as child growing up that might have caused G.L.D., linking it to a chemical imbalance of the brain equals intellectual disturbance. So people maybe undersigned for certain conditions."

Ashley Nave April 7, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Diagnosed in 1992 ADHD & prescribed Ritalin. Before I took Ritalin, I was forgetful, daydreamed, moody, couldn't focus for long, did soft drugs, drank alcohol, smoked cigs., and was negative minded. Now, I do none of the above. It makes me feel motivated to go to work, everyday, and I read novels from page 1 to the last page. Before, I never had the patience to read past page 1. My Doc. prescribes me 60 mg. per day. To start my day, I take 1- SR20mg. with 1-10mg; then 4hrs. later, I take 1-10mg.; then 4hrs. later I take 1-SR20mg. The problem is, after the first 8hrs., I know I need a 10mg. for the next 4hrs. But my Doc. won't prescribe me over 60mg. per day cause he thinks that is the max. per day allowed. Any suggestions?"

Beebop56 April 6, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been on this medication since I was 9 I'm 21 now. I've always had trouble in school and it has helped me a lot to concentrate but without it I can't focus at all. I became too dependent on it so now that I am in college I cannot study or find any kind of motivation to stay focused if I'm not on it. It wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't make me depressed. Recently in this past year I've been taking it almost every day again and have been feeling sad for no reason, always thinking negative and very irritable until I put two and two together. Now trying to get off once I am done with school next month for good."

Jenna D. April 1, 2016

For Depression: "Doing fine after taking Ritalin since 1992. I no longer do soft drugs, nor drink alcohol, and quit smoking, all since 2003. Helps me focus better and helps me have a positive frame of mind. Before taking Ritalin, I couldn't focus long enough to get past the first page of a novel. Now, I read novels consistently. When I started taking it in 92, I lost my appetite and couldn't sleep much, but I eventually adjusted to it. I have tried Dexedrine, Concerta, fish oil, herbs, magnesium, etc., but nothing comes close to it. I invented a board game as well."

Beebop56 (taken for 10 years or more) March 26, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "This med is not good. It doesn't work it only last 7 hours I'm taking ritalin also 10mg, and 54mg of concerta. I will not recomemnd it ialso take ritalin for 3 years and it does not last long no good ."

Omtc (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have suffered from ADHD since childhood. After trying several medications, Ritalin is the only one that continues to work for me."

Howechick (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2016

For ADHD: "I started taking methylphenidate six years ago, when I was eleven. I started at 20MG a day in the morning, with food. When I started taking it, I was informed about the side effects and I knew one of them was weight loss. When I was 11 I was about 5'6" and 125 pounds. I ended up losing about 20 pounds in the first 3 months of taking methylphenidate. The doctors tested my blood for celiac disease which came back negative. (Turned positive three years later in my stomach.) The doctors came to their conclusion that my weight loss was a side effect of taking methylphenidate. That was the only bad experience taking methylphenidate, I'm still on it, now at 40MG in the morning, with food."

Aryana H. (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 23, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was first given Ritalin at 6 years old. Ritalin made it hard for me to sleep. Being on Ritalin made me feel nauseous. Ritalin caused tremors in my arms. Being forced to take Ritalin made me self-conscious. Ritalin increased my anxiety. My anxiety turned into panic attacks so I was prescribed with antidepressants like Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Effexor. I was also prescribed with Lamictal, an anti-convulsant. For me, Ritalin was the "gateway drug.""

Sarare (taken for 10 years or more) March 17, 2016