User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Jornay PM, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Relexxii, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR …show all brand names

Depression

5.5

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 7.4 692 reviews

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 32 years old and have adult ADD. I also have addiction issues and have been sober for 5 years. I haven’t taken any meds since being sober but have been struggling. Last time I tried to take vyvanse and I ended up relapsing. The daytrana patch has been amazing for me. I rated it a 8 just because no ADD meds are perfect and there are side effects. But in my experience I've had a much better time with daytrana then most other meds and seems to be less likely for someone to abuse. Mainly because it lasts all day and there is no “crash” feeling like I've had with others which always trigger me to abuse them. I just wanted to share my experience because it’s really hard to have ADD and not be able to take meds and addiction problems make this tricky. However, you should give it time once you start it because side effects will lessen once your body adjusts. I experienced extreme lack of appetite and anxiety, both went away after a month."

Jess October 9, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I’ve been on cotempla 25.9mg for ADD for a year and a half and overall it works quite well, however I have had continual issues with it not working quickly or very well when taking it with or after a meal. However after talking to my doc, I found out that taking it about half an hour before eating breakfast (drinking coffee/other drinks is fine) solves most of the efficacy issues because of the IR portion of the tablet (25%) can be easily “lost” into the food and not absorbed quickly. Although this is somewhat inconvenient, it helps me get the most out of the Cotempla. Overall it is very effective, but the IR/XR formulation could be improved. "

Gleam76 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 7, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My brother was prescribed Concerta two years ago, and I feel the need to share his story so everyone knows how helpful this drug is for people suffering from ADHD. He is taking it and Strattera both for his condition, and the Strattera worked well for a long time, but when he was prescribed Concerta in addition to this to further help with his symptoms, it was just amazing. His breakdowns and tantrums decreased in number, he started doing his chores and homework again, and he started doing random little things to help other people out. This medication is a controlled substance, so it's harder for him to get than his other medicine-- he has to have an appointment with a specialist every two months to stay on it, though I don't think it's that way for everyone. He was born addicted to the painkillers my mother was on, as he was seven weeks early, and therefore has a higher chance to become addicted to substances in the future, but this does not seem to be a problem so far with Concerta."

Anonymous October 4, 2018

For ADHD: "I completely agree with the other review here. The manufacturer for the generic Ritalin matters a great deal. The Malinckrodt manufacturers version of Ritalin made me feel like I took theraflu, meaning nothing, zilch, nada, in fact I think I need a long nap after taking it. I have the inattentive type of ADD, non hyperactivity. The round peach one the other manufacturer works wonderfully. I am able to focus, have motivation and can get my work done in with the round preach one, and take melatonin at night to sleep. I’m on the west coast and I went to cvs."

Inattentive (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 1, 2018

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I hated this medication. It was so hard for me to sleep in the evening on the day I had taken it. Also I would hear random things and see random things and I would over think. My eating went from eating just fine to maybe a banana and some chips a day . When you take this protein shakes will help . Also drink a lot of water. The good thing about it is it kept me focus. I got stuff done unlike some other add medicines that made me just sit there. Also a little depression and over thinking did occur. The only real complaint I got is ZERO sleep and you may become paranoid."

Whatever (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am have been taking concerta for 3 months now and I don't see any improvement in my concentration when it comes to learning. 18 to 37 dosage. I think I going to have to stop concerta."

Fernando September 7, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I think a lot more clearer. I feel normal on it. I love Ritalin"

Red (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 5, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 41 years old and just started Ritalin extended release 3 weeks ago. I have Sleep Apnea and have a lifelong history of daytime fatigue that wasn't being helped by the CPAP. After talking to my doctor about that and other symptoms I began treatment for ADHD. The first week I had some insomnia but noticed immediately that I was more awake during the day and getting a lot more done. I still felt tired at times but nothing like before where I was literally ready to collapse by mid afternoon. It also suppressed my appetite a bit which I need. I'm only taking 18mg in the morning. Week 3 I don't feel it's working quite as well and insomnia has subsided. Pretty sure we need to tweak the dosage."

Petunia (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD and was first given Vyvanse. It caused me to have awful anxiety and chest pains. This turned me off to stimulants for a while. Finally, I started seeing a new Dr and he prescribed me Concerta XL for my long days at work and it has definitely changed my life. At first it was for my ADHD but it also helps with my depression. It makes me feel awake but not jittery and anxious. I feel more social and talkative (I'm very shy and people always make comments on how I don't talk that much). I don't have as many bad days like I was having before. I still get them but they seem to be more mild and less often. There is a slight come down period when it is wearing off and you can get a little bummed during this time. Its not as bad with the long acting Concerta like it is with regular methylphenidate. I highly recommend trying these medicines."

krispkripi August 21, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "I was recently diagnosed with narcolepsy after a sleep study. I was nearly passing out while driving so often that it was hindering my life. I couldn't play with my 3 year old, and I couldn't clean or take care of myself. After a bad experience with Nuvigil, I was prescribed ritalin, and I take 15mg 2x a day. I am happier, I can drive and spend time with my daughter without having to lay down every hour. I'm able to do my college course work without putting it off until the last moment. Ritalin has changed my life."

Yooji (taken for less than 1 month) August 21, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "On this Medication I have experienced decrease in appetite, increase in libido, difficulty falling asleep, irritability, increased anxiety and times where I seem to lack positive emotion"

Jtc763 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "I have narcolepsy w/cataplexy and was prescribed Ritalin. Doc started me on a low dose to be taken twice day. The first 2 days I felt awake & alert, didn’t nap till 4:30 pm. After that, I just got sleepy. Never had that get-up-and-go like those first few days. Now after being on it for over a month, about 15 min after dosing I’m falling asleep. Literally head bobbing. I nap off and on all day long like before I was on Ritalin or I feel sick. I also notice that my chronic pain is heightened. Everything seems magnified on live wire. My eyes hurt, I’m more sensitive to light & have daily headaches on top of my chronic migraines. I finally see my neurologist tomorrow & hopefully he’ll have an alternative plan for me."

“Sleepy-all-the-time” (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I’ve been on Ritalin for almost a year now, and it hasn’t been great, but at the same time it hasn’t been bad. It helps me study and focus, but once it wears off it leaves you feeling like you were a zombie the whole day. All in all, it’s okay, but it does have some side effects you should be aware of."

o4marie (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "Let me start by stating that I am a 24 year old female with history of Idiopathic Hypersomnia, coarctation of the aorta and patent ductus arteriosus (PDA). I was recently in a car accident and received my second concussion. Upon visiting my neurologist for headaches/migraine complaints I brought to his attention my debilitating fatigue I've experienced since the last concussion. I've been to multiple doctors and they pushed aside this symptom. I was almost in tears when my neurologist prescribed Ritalin. Day 3: improved concentration AND more energy!. So far so good. I was worried I would have problems because of my heart conditions but it is anatomic and not rhythmic so I'm okay! He also assured this will help with weight loss which is great! Hope to continue to see great results with this medication."

ncos3 July 21, 2018

For ADHD: "For YEARS I was taking generic Ritalin, (methylphenidate) from the manufact.-Actavis/Teva. They were round, peach colored tabs that say “dan” on 1 side & “5884,” on the other. The other month, I opened the bottle (as I always buy from Walgreens) & they were yellow! Not only that, but they are completely useless! They DO NOT WORK & I’m VERY CLOSE to filing several complaints & as MANY it takes 2 get the Others. (Walgreens States they no longer carry that brand! So I get this garbage & pay $150 + a month! I can GUARANTEE that if a molecular breakdown of this medicine was done, they also will find it as useless! After MANY calls, Walgreens says I can pre order it, but now giving me the run around again! I’ve tried other versions( Sandoz- Mylan)& those are just as bad, if not worse! Ugh! I’m in Grand Rapids, MI!This is unjust & it ALL relates to the almighty Dollar! Money is the root to ALL evil with these pharmaceutical tyrants!!!"

AmyLuvKnight July 17, 2018

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was diagnosed with ADHD, he is 8 yrs old. This medication changed his world. Unfortunately no pharmacies in five surrounding counties have the patch and we had to switch to a pill medication which doesn't work for us that well. I hope the patch will come back"

Camp (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2018

For ADHD: "It works for me but it gives side effects. I can finally focus with 52mg! Still I am impulsive but I don’t get distracted and finally I can get stuff done!!! But it took me weeks to get used to the doses until reaching 52mg, and I still have side effects sometimes (specially if I haven’t sleep good, for some reason). However I am going through a lot of stress and with the meds sometimes I get nausea, palpitations, loss of appetite and I am losing a lot of weight (I’m already very thin). I’ve been two weeks with this dose and side effects are slowly disappearing, but I’m not sure if they will go for good. At least I focus finally, and that’s what I need to finish my masters in neuroscience.."

InternationalLondonStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "(While I did have ADHD as a child, I don't anymore as an adult. However, my Major Depressive Disorder and complex form of PTSD both cause issues with focus; so I continue to be prescribed stimulants into adulthood.) I have been taking Cotempla for a couple days now. I had to switch from Daytrana because of stock/back order issues. I can say that I find it effective. I'm prescribed two 17.3 mg tablets a day. I take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I find that they last a decent amount of time (even though some medicine tends to just 'go right through me'). They taste fine and I think that they absorb better for me due to lack of a pill casing. If you're having issues with XR medicine like Focalin, Vyvanse, or other capsule pills, Cotempla may be a good option. Please note that I did not pay for my first 30 days of the medicine, I got it as a free trial, but will likely continue it after the month is over."

Seph (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for : "I took a 36 mg concerta, for the first time ever taking it, yesterday and everything was super enhanced like the speed that I could work things out and perform basic tasks yet it really messed with my senses (mostly taste sight and sound) , heart beat (doubled at resting) and temperature (cold hands and feet) but the weirdest thing of the trip was I was playing jelly bean boozeled and all of the terrible flavours like dog food and barf tasted alright."

Drugmandan (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Concerta works very well in the first years. Gradually I started showing many signs they have here, headache, flu like symptoms, I cannot sleep, out burst of excitement, changes in personality, nausea, and skin rash and skin splitting. I am going to change to another product that does not have all these symptoms."

Topaz (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD/ADD at the age of 21 while at university, as well as mildly chronic fatigue, and was prescribed concerta; first 18mg (which wore off too fast) and now 36mg. When I first started taking it it felt like a miracle drug - for the first time in my life I felt awake, driven, and organized. Over time, it has become less effective - its definitely tolerance building - but it's still way better than going without. I get chest pains and headaches sometimes, I have started getting mild anxiety (which I never had before), and I feel the cold a lot more than I used to. All of this would be completely fine were it not for the main side effect of concerta: weight loss. After around 18 months of taking it daily, my weight has gone from 130lbs to 104lbs - regardless of how much I eat."

Sanamun June 24, 2018

For Depression: "Multiple depression meds either never worked or stopped working so we FINALLY started stimulants. It has been a Godsend! After YEARS of trying so many worthless meds, Ritalin started working by the 3rd day. I was awake in mind and body. Haven't had bad side effects except for talking A LOT and fast. I take two 10 mg in AM and 1 around 5-6 PM. Hoping to up the PM dose to 2 also as it is VERY obvious when the Ritalin is wearing off; it's like the Energizer bunny when it's battery is dying."

Peppy June 19, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's something that is useful. It helps me focus and gives me energy to help get my day started. The only thing that bugs me is a suppressed appetite and at times makes my depression worse until it wears off also makes my have to urinate more frequently"

Nicknameman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For Depression: "Well being bipolar type 1, PTSD, from childhood trauma, social anxiety, and I've tried every antidepressant, but was put on latuda 80mg once daily. I Was put on vyvanse, concerta, strattera, and finally back on Ritalin IR 20mg a day. It helped but didn't get me thru the day, started taking 20mg 2x a day, noticed my depressive episodes went away faster, wouldn't sleep 20+ hours when I was down, I could actually get up and go to work. Kept me out of my own head and dark thoughts, it just helps get me out of my funk. No longer fall asleep on the long ride home from work, can be more social, no longer think people are out to cause me harm. Yeah I still get in my funks but the hopelessness doesn't last as long. Truly is a Godsend for me and I thank my wife (soon to be ex) for reintroducing this to me. I also thankful that I had the time I did with her! (Even though she's divorcing me) "Tis' better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all""

ZiggyMac June 14, 2018

Methylin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "F, 77 in 2018, quasi-retired nerd, ADD without hyperactivity. Last year, fed up with being so distractible, I got my GP to write me a script for generic methylphenidate. Walgreens was dispensing the round, very-pale-orange ones marked DAN 20 5884 (I'd name the manufacturer, but with all the takeovers, name changes, and selloffs I haven't a clue who that is. The pill bottle said Actavis). It's IR not ER, and at a 20mg@06.00, 10@noon, 10@18.00 regimen worked *wonderfully* for me on a number of levels including focus, T2 obesity reduction, available energy level, and even a good night's sleep. This year, I haven't been able to find a pharmacy that carries the 5884 pill, so I settled for Malinckrodt's Methylin. My perception is that it's not even close to being therapeutically equivalent. I perceive it as having an efficacy about 2/3 that of the 5884 one, which is a great disappointment. The difference is so great that I'll likely file a complaint with the FDA."

Nerd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ...