User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 28 reviews 80 medications

6.2
Obesity 1 reviews 62 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 566 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Methylphenidate

For Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome: "Two months ago, I was unable to work or to drive myself to my own doctors' appointments. Now, I can exercise upright, go out to a bar with my friends, work every day, and am completing applications to go to law school in the fall. Mehtylphenidate, in combination with midodrine and atenolol, has taken me from complete disability to at least some semblance of normalcy, although I still have to be aware of my body, pace myself, and monitor my physical activity."

Dan76128 January 16, 2017

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This medication does nothing for me. I still can't concentrate or remember much. I am taking 60mg(12ml) daily. I have read a lot of positive reviews for Dexedrine and will be asking for it."

thx1432 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been on this medicine for approx a week with no benefits whatsoever. I am taking 60 mg(12ml) a day. Dexedrine, on the other hand, has very positive reviews and will be asking for Dexedrine next appt."

P.F. (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

For ADHD: "Turned my life around 180*. I am 22 years old and I am shocked at which age kids get that stuff. Makes me wonder if parents actually look into this drug. I just cant understand how this could be good for a kid. Its a mix of speed and cocaine, seriously. Try it yourself before giving this to your kids. I can't stress this enough"

PARENTSareIGNORANT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Hi all, My son who is 12 was diagnosed when he was in 2nd grade. We tried everything before medication. When we tried meds, the first one made him loose weight, fast. The second gave him a nasty tic that thankfully went away as soon as he stopped the med, the third worked for a couple of years and around January of last year we started to have problems so his doctor recommended Daytrana. It has been wonderful for my son! Easy to use, he handles this for himself each day and takes it off when he gets home from school. The patch effects last long enough for him to do his homework. He does have issues with weight gain and sleep but he uses melatonin before bed if he feels like he will not be able to shut down. The shortage is KILLING us!"

Mom of two boys (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Male age 47 adhd sufferer.... Been taking concerta xl 36mg for the past 12 years now.. To start with, I didn't understand how the drug would help me.. But now Looking back it has proved to be a fantastic drug that has tweaked the way I live my life.. But I say this with caution, as its not perfect and it caused me a lot of other problems.. Like someone has said on here before it doesn't turn you into a fully focus person. Sorry. Well it hasn't for me but it has helped me over time to stop beating myself up on that bloody roundabout in my mind, and gain a little bit of confidence..Balance of mind ultimately came when I was prescribed antidepressants.. So I use concerta at 4am and antidepressants at 8pm.."

Balance of mind (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2017

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Personally, I hated it. During my time on ADHD medication I was almost always in trouble at school, failing classes, suffered from mood swings, from the first grade to the end of the ninth grade and also looked anorexic during that time. Once I got off the medication, I could finally feel like a human being and was happy, but I gained a surprising amount of weight that (5'9" and 110lbs to 5'9" and 162lbs) I have spent the next three almost four years trying to replace the fat with muscle. Getting off the medication was the best thing to happen to me as I could actually pass my classes and graduate high school."

INORUS January 11, 2017

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: ""Tried" to fill the Rx my son's Dr. had written (very first of this med) at one of the large retail store pharmacy's and... Even with a Tricare co-pay, the cost was just over $1K!!! Needless to say, I called the Dr.'s office back immediately for another/different Rx. Talk about price-gouging!"

L. White (taken for less than 1 month) January 6, 2017

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Concerta has helped me tremendously in school. My grades skyrocketed after only one semester of use. The first day, when I was on 18mg, I could already feel the effect. Now, I only take concerta (27mg) on school days and other days which I know are going to be exhausting. Even on the days I don't take it, I feel happier than before. Concerta gives me motivation so I can actually live, which makes my motivation stick around. I can now socialise without feeling like my energy has been sucked out of me after one conversation. I can now do my homework and chores. I do things in my free time, instead of crashing in bed after a day of school. Though my appetite changed, and I lost a lot of weight, I have a lot to thank concerta for."

Cader January 5, 2017

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 12 yr old son has been on Concerta ER for 9 months after switching from Metadate. He responds quite well to it and his grades are fantastic. He is much less mouthy on it... and rarely gets into trouble at school. So far.. so good."

Twinmom4321 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 1, 2017

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "After my 10 year tried about every medication he started Daytrana it is absolutely the miracle medication. He is in honors classes and is able tolerate his day to day routine. We put it on him before he gets up in the morning. Without the medication or on oral doses he is very unmanageable and even aggressive at times. We use Ritalin tablets when he does not have school this helps with his weight but his behavior is out of control. He really can not go to school without his patches. We need the Daytrana!!!!!!!"

For Jesse December 16, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am a 20 years old and I did exceedingly well in high school and nursing school without ADHD medication. Once I graduated and moved into the workplace, my ADHD spun completely out of control. I had a very hard time adjusting. This medication has helped me think clearly, focus on tasks and stop me from being so impulsive and rude. My appetite has gone down for sure, but I try to focus on superfoods I can eat in small amounts. I think it's important to have coping strategies and work through your ADHD before jumping straight to medications. I would highly recommend this medication for adults who are struggling, not for children though."

Chaotic nurse (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 15, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I took Concerta from 3rd to 11th grade, then again for about a year right after graduation, I ended up forgetting to take them for a while and just started taking them again. For me it takes about a month to actually feel the full affects of it. One thing to keep in mind though is that it doesn't help you focus on homework or work...it just helps you Focus, whether it's on homework or your emotions."

Anonymous December 7, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was put on this medication that the age of 8. The first day he was focused however he kept licking his lips and would just stare when being spoken too . I took him Off the medication . It's not for us."

Melissa Johnson December 4, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "When I was 9 my grades dropped and remained at a c-b average compared to my usual a. It became harder to socialise and eventually I started skipping school 3-4 days out of the week. I had anxiety problems and was on the verge of depression. At the age of 12 my Mom in a last ditch effort put me on Concerta, which did not magically fix anything but within the next 2 years I was attending school regularly and my grades got better.(from an Asian family, grades are everything) I have to say I'm much better but I took a 8 month break and returned to a 36 dosage which makes me sick all day, headaches and problems sleeping. I can barely eat a half a meal without having to force it down."

Whitey white December 3, 2016

For Depression: "I have suffered from major treatment-resistant depression for 32 years. I've tried so many medications along with polypharmacy for this, and almost nothing helps. The only antidepressants that are of any use are citalopram, buproprion, and Abilify. Even this combination doesn't always work--usually the citalopram stops working after a number of months, and I have to switch it out for sertraline. A few years ago, my psychiatrist tried adding 20 mg of methylphenidate twice a day. What a difference! I am now able to get out of bed, work, focus, smile, and have something that approximates a normal life. The only problem with this, is that I am now completely dependent on the methylphenidate in order to function."

gossamerwings393 November 26, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My daughter's pediatrician told me to give her 1 pill before 9:00 a.m. daily. I gave her the pill at 8:30 a.m. and all day she was amazing then suddenly out of no where at 10:30 p.m. she said she just couldn't fall asleep, her hands and feet wouldn't stop moving, her mouth was moving extremely weird, and she said she was jittery. My daughter finally fell asleep at 6:30 a.m. and didn't receive another dose again but had problems for 5 more nights with sleep."

Isa06 (taken for less than 1 month) November 21, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am a 28 year old female. I have been taking 20 mg Ritalin per day for 8 weeks, first short acting, then tried the long acting. By far the short acting helped my concentration in school, work, and my social life. When I switched to the extended release it felt like it wasn't doing jack, even though I was taking the same dose. The only thing I don't like about the short acting was the loss of appetite. So annoying. But I'm about to start back with the short acting and with 40 mg per day. I can't wait to have my concentration back!"

Cluck clack (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 17, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I wanted to update about my medication. I am now 20 mg. of Ritalin twice daily and 50 mg. of Zoloft generic once daily. Having suffered bipolar depression, PTSD, ADD/ADHD throughout different periods throughout my life. I also Borderline/Mild General Learning Disability a labeling in terms that is least offensive to Mild Mental Retardation or Borderline/Mild Intellectual Disability. In my case the GLD is extremely least severe in slightest degree. Ritalin actually works very well for me while Zoloft treats the anxiety, depression, and some mild obsessive compulsive behavioral thoughts but nothing extreme severe or seriousness. In some people depending DNA, generics how medication effects the individual might be very different, etc."

AshleyNave100 November 15, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking Concerta since 2003. For me it's the only ADHD medication that works. It calms me down, I talk at a speed others can understand and my thoughts don't run off. The side effects I get from it are .loss of appetite(growing up I was underweight for this reason) . Trouble sleeping(I ended up needing a medication for this but am currently not on one) .Dry mouth (drink lots of water).... I have also been diagnosed with major depression and bipolar after years of taking Concerta (diagnosed in 2007 and 2013 respectively (both are genetic in my family)). Drugs effect each person differently. If you decide to take Concerta I would suggest keeping track of you side effect and how often they occur and talk to you M.D or N.P."

Vanenyx (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "Recently diagnosed with narcolepsy and was given provigal. That did nothing. Given Ritalin and this is doing nothing either. Started at 10mg twice a day. Increased to 30mg twice a day. This is nothing more then a decent cup of coffee. Lasts no longer then an hour. Need better help for my tireness."

Tobycainryan (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 11, 2016

For Depression: "I've been on celexa and a fentynal patch for a few years during and after battling cancer. but the fatigue from pain meds and anti-depressants left me feeling so tired through out the work day. I was to the point of almost falling asleep at the wheel driving home from work. Weekends consisted of laying around doing nothing, losing all interest in even going for a haircut on Saturday. I asked my oncologist about ritalin and he put me on 20mg 3 times a day. I had no idea how well it cured my depression as well as kept me going through out the day without feeling tired at all! I never thought the Celexa worked for my depression and wonder if i should talk to my doctor now about weaning myself off the celexa and just go with the ritalin."

Stillkicing November 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 10 year old was prescribed Concerta after having an allergic reaction to Adderal. Well this was not much better. He was nauseous and dizzy and his resting heart rate was 160. He only took 1 dose, and he will not be taking any more. Awful stuff"

Hpmom November 4, 2016

For ADHD: "Before I started on methylphenidate I was using strattera 80mg, but I only got the side effect and sweated all the time even when doing nothing, also had dizziness and panick attacks. When I got offered methylphenidate I could concentrate alot better and all the side effects never came, the only side effect I have is maybe sometimes palpitations but not as often. good medicination for ADHD."

Frederick47 October 30, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 30 started taking this due to excessive daydreaming and quite frankly not getting anything done. Could not focus for more than 10 minutes before a thought would come and get distracted by it. Apartment was in a mess. Priorities are all over the place. Wanted to do so many things and all at the same time. So I went to the doctor and left with a prescription for Concerta 18-27-36mg.I don't know if he had the right diagnosis but shit is getting done and everything is great. Less tired, less naps, did not take a nap since I started this. Now I'm at the 36mg step. Truth is the drug is only 10% of the solution. Once you know you can do something, you have to keep that mindset and go with it or else you will take this drug forever and ever."

Daydreamer101 October 29, 2016