User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 28 reviews 79 medications

6.6
Obesity 1 reviews 62 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 597 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My daughter has been taking Aptensio for 3 months now. She takes 50mg once a day. She has taken just about every drug on the market. The longest lasting about 8 months. She takes the Aptensio at 7am and by 3:00 when she comes home she is a total train wreck! The come down for her is fast and has her acting worse than before medicated. She says she isn't really finding her focus to be much better when at school. However, in the past 3 months she has put on 5 lbs. She is always hungry which is a total change from any other stimulant med she has tried. I take the same med and have put on 13lbs. in three months. We know of two other children that have gained as well and love the med. So if your child is under weight from stimulants try this one"

female 11 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking Aptensio now for 3 months. I have been diagnosed with ADHD now for about 2 1/2 years. I have taken just about every non stimulant and stimulant on the market. I am currently taking 50mg of the Aptensio once a day. I am finding myself still scattered brained and my memory is horrible. I think the pill is lasting about 6 hrs and then I have a hard come down making me a total witch! The one thing that I have noticed is that I have put 12 lbs. on in 3 months. I am constantly eating! I had my thyroid checked and it came back normal. I have spoke with other people that say they are gaining weight on the pill as well."

Female 45 years old May 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which I didn't think I had until I started college. Things then became more clear! I started off on Adderall, which I hated because it made me irritible, jittery, and I found it totally unhelpful. Weary the of stimulants, I switched to Wellbutrin, which helped, but only a little. I decided to give Concerta a shot, as my psychiatrist told me it's like a more specialized version of Ritalin, and I've been amazed by the results! It lasts me most of the day, and I can finally focus on work and conversations! My quality of life is so much better now that I'm on Concerta. I take the 27mg XL dose."

Jeff777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was late being diagnosed with ADHD, (late 40s) I was diagnosed Bipolar in 1992, but never felt this was the correct diagnosis as my meds never helped me with all the different thoughts going on in my head. As soon as I started concerta, I felt more relaxed, my concentration improved greatly and I could sleep peacefully without any benzodiazepines. I am currently (for over 4 years) on a dose of 72mg, it still is as effective as when I started and luckily I haven't any of the listed side effects. I think if anybody feels they have ADHD they should seek Psychiatric help to do the relevant tests."

Peter55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Had ADHD symptoms growing up, due to cultural reasons and beliefs, family always dismissed it. In 2nd year law school at the moment, had to work 5x harder than others. Started living away from family and finally got ADHD diagnosis done. Was prescribed concerta. I was 154cm height and 47kg before concerta. Titration period - 18mg 1 week, 27mg 1w, 36mg 3w and 54mg 8w. 18-27mg at first was amazing. No side effects, brimming with motivation but, wore in 4h. 36mg, was ok but wasn't as great as the initial effect, wore off after 4h. 54mg, developed an uncontrollable cough, mood swings, dry mouth, anxiety. Lost 5kg weight. Now on Vyvanse. Cough took 2 + weeks since quitting concerta to stop. Advice - if side effects are bad & lasts 1w+ change meds!"

Ricola May 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fatigue: "After 3 years of success with Wellbutrin, it finally pooped out on me. Unfortunately, as a result of this, my energy levels dropped immediately to the point where I could barely get out of bed. I had blood work done, but nothing was found that would explain the fatigue, like vitamin deficiency or thyroid issues. No problems with sleep either. So my dr prescribed 18 mg of concerta and it's been pretty close to a miracle. I can actually get up in the morning again. I feel like I did when I first started Wellbutrin. One issue is that after ~2 months on 18mg, I can feel myself not responding to the drug as well as I did initially. Part of this might just be my imagination, but I know that this is common with stimulants."

SallyWally May 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Fantastic controlled for the first time in my life"

Bloomers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My daughter was put on this for her ADHD and it has worked reasonably thus far. We weren't looking for a miracle cure as everything has its pros and cons. We have Tricare Prime and I pay $25 a month for her bottle."

Sherbr (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Tips for taking off the patch: use oil (we use skin so soft, but any oil will work) to rub into the skin around the edges of the patch and let it sit for a little bit... maybe about 20 - 30 seconds... pull it gently while continuing to rub oil into the edges a little at a time, repeat. The oil dissolves the "glue" and also helps remove the sticky residue that shows up a day later, easier to just wipe off after being sprayed with a mist of oil than scrubbed off with soap and water. Breakfast is all ready to eat when she wakes up- sometimes I make a high calorie, high nutrient smoothie and give it to her while she's still in bed, put the patch on at the same time, let her snooze for 20 more minutes; PM gets high cal/high nutrient snack"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "1. Prescribed Ritalin 7 years ago. 2. Therefore speaking from experience. 3. Please be careful (specially mothers of little children) 4. This substance can be abused. 5. It promotes false sense of euphoria. 6. Might be very tempting for curious or emotionally unstable people. 7. I do understand, if used properly, it does help to calm children's with ADD down but trust me its schedule 2 drug for a reason. 8. It's a very strong substance. 9. It affects consciousness and if abused can make you greedy, lusty and delusional. 10. To me during the times of my abuse, a few pills of Ritalin daily made me feel like I was on cocaine. 11. Even if your child doesn't abuse it, long term damage is done, quitting cold turkey might be a tragedy."

D.ysbrand (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "First, any doctor that would prescribe 30 milligram patch for a 4 year old should have his/her license removed. My son who is 7 has never done better in school or socially until we started the patch in 1/17. It may not be for every child but it has changed our lives and I don't say that lightly. If your insurance doesn't cover Daytrana, you can use Good RX for better pricing as well as the manufacturer's coupon."

Cory Leigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "When I was first diagnosed with narcolepsy at 13, I started with Ritalin and was taking about 40mg per day and definitely helped with my narcolepsy but wasn't strong enough to keep me fully awake and repress my cataplexy. I now take 81mg of concerta and 10mg of ritalin in the mornings and if needed another 10-20mg ritalin in the afternoons or when feeling tired. It's definitely been a life saver especially during class or when I'm out. Didn't have or had any significant side effects and am so glad to have been introduced to it"

jezzml (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "I have had narcolepsy my whole life and for the longest time I thought it was because I was lazy. As a straight-A student, I didn't understand why it was so difficult for me to get up, stay awake, and make my body match up with my motivation. Literally the first day I started taking this medication, I could stay awake in all of my classes and I felt the passion and love for learning I always had as a kid. For the past years, watching Netflix was the go-to rather than homework just because I couldn't muster the physical nor mental energy to follow through. While I have been successful in my academics, after concerta, I could study for longer, I could do more things, and I could finish my work faster. A 27 mg dose works all day (100 lbs)."

katiemariea March 31, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My daughter has tried almost every ADHD drug there is. She is a junior in high school and has a very busy schedule. Daytrana is the only way she is able to get her homework done. She takes the patch off an hour before she is done and off to sleep she goes. This is the only medication that does not have harsh side effect for her. I hate that I have to drive all over town to find a pharmacy that has it in stock. I sure hope this shortage ends soon!"

Catherine Marie March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Been on and off Ritalin for yrs. The reg. version works well for me, but its effect was gone in under 3 hrs. The extended release was useless - I metabolize it too quickly and was ODing on it after about an hr. When I was working, it was great not wasting time getting distracted by crap: no retracing my steps to remember what I was looking for; no wondering why I had the telephone in my hand - was I calling or answering, etc? But I didn't like driving under Ritalin - I was used to having my attention all over the place and being able to see EVERYTHING that was going on around me: traffic slowing 5 blocks up; a wingnut weaving thru lanes 2 blocks behind. I only took it while working or when I needed to focus. Same thing now."

LaFleik (taken for 10 years or more) March 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For ADHD: "Allows me to focus, relieves undue anxiety and able to organize my daily tasks more easily and also allows me to more effectively manage my emotions and reactions to unanticipated incidents."

mrMagik (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 21 and I've been taking 72mg (two 36mg barrels) a day since I was about 17. Concerta changed my life. I was failing school and no matter how hard I tried, it didn't change anything. I became depressed, slept for 14+ hours a day, I gave up. Then I was prescribed and it changed my life. It keeps me focused, motivated, and energized. Though, the side effects are very real. I don't sleep much, which is why I usually don't take it on weekends to catch up on sleep. It kills my appetite, so I eat a big breakfast before I take it in the mornings. It does elevate my anxiety, and not saying it's something I suggest.. but I smoke cigarettes to help that. Oh, and I don't know if this is common or not.. But it keeps my digestive track regular!"

Linds3120 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am 37 years old and was finally diagnosed with Adult ADHD almost 2 years ago so I was put on 20 mg Adderal XR and it worked great. But I did start to notice that I would get pretty irritable on it mostly when it was wearing off. So I wanted to try a different medication to see if there was one I wasn't so grumpy on. So I started Metadate CD and I was not irritable on that one at all :) But it seemed to wear off within 4 hours and made me soo tired. So now I am on Aptensio and it has been pretty good so far I have only been on it for about a week and it really does last a long time and I am able to stay focused. I don't feel a crash like Adderal. I would just recommend taking it early in the morning so it can wear off before you go to bed."

Kittiebunnie (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have been taking Strattera 60MG for 6 months and am a Male that weighs 185LBS and is 6 ft 2 in. The ATX(Strattera) was not enough to help my severe unmotivation. I recently added on Concerta (alza 18mg generic) to my medications and it has helped dramatically. Like a pair of eyeglasses, I can now "see" my life in a better light. It will not get your work done for you nor will it solve all of your issues that you may have, but it will make life a LOT easier to live. Instead of always worrying and being behind, I can get what is real important done and get to what is important another day. My mood has not been bad, my driving is less road rageish. I'm a LOT less stressed out and anxious. I'm blessed to get help at age 22. I am doing well"

Lostinmythoughts8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school. I have taken 3 different kinds of ADD medication and Daytrana has worked the best BY FAR! Strattera made me feel weird as a child. Adderall was terrible for me! I was mean and agitated easily, got headaches a lot, just an all around bad experience for me. I had taken Daytrana in high school and liked it, so when I went home for Christmas break from my first semester at college and told my mom I wanted back on medication I quit taking adderal, but NEEDED something bad! I went back on Daytrana have been on it for a year and half now and I made the Athletic Presidential Honour Roll for my conference! Daytrana= miracle and a yes, for all ADD people!"

dcsmith123 February 24, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son is currently on 20mgs once a day. Diagnosed and medicated September 2016. We noticed he does this blank stare where his eyes roll up and makes a tasting motion with his mouth. I notified Dr and he had a EEG done. Turns out they were seizures. He is doing super well in school, complete 180 but I don't think it worth it. He's now on liquid keppra. I feel like has just going down hill. Super irritable, mood swings which they said was a side effect of being on both. Very disheartening. Waiting for MD to call back to change his med to a non stimulant."

Gricelda February 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Hello my son is 4 years old and today was his first time with the daytrana patch. The Dr gave him the 30mg he was going crazy shaking his hands moving his mouth side to side sticking out his tongue couldn't stay still...I think it was to way too high of dosing for him and he doesn't really want to eat. "

Anonymous February 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This made my son so extremely tired. Also changed his personality"

Maggie747422 February 8, 2017