User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Depression

5.5

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 7.4 677 reviews

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My son was diagnosed with ADHD, he is 8 yrs old. This medication changed his world. Unfortunately no pharmacies in five surrounding counties have the patch and we had to switch to a pill medication which doesn't work for us that well. I hope the patch will come back"

Camp (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2018

For ADHD: "It works for me but it gives side effects. I can finally focus with 52mg! Still I am impulsive but I don’t get distracted and finally I can get stuff done!!! But it took me weeks to get used to the doses until reaching 52mg, and I still have side effects sometimes (specially if I haven’t sleep good, for some reason). However I am going through a lot of stress and with the meds sometimes I get nausea, palpitations, loss of appetite and I am losing a lot of weight (I’m already very thin). I’ve been two weeks with this dose and side effects are slowly disappearing, but I’m not sure if they will go for good. At least I focus finally, and that’s what I need to finish my masters in neuroscience.."

InternationalLondonStudent (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "(While I did have ADHD as a child, I don't anymore as an adult. However, my Major Depressive Disorder and complex form of PTSD both cause issues with focus; so I continue to be prescribed stimulants into adulthood.) I have been taking Cotempla for a couple days now. I had to switch from Daytrana because of stock/back order issues. I can say that I find it effective. I'm prescribed two 17.3 mg tablets a day. I take one in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I find that they last a decent amount of time (even though some medicine tends to just 'go right through me'). They taste fine and I think that they absorb better for me due to lack of a pill casing. If you're having issues with XR medicine like Focalin, Vyvanse, or other capsule pills, Cotempla may be a good option. Please note that I did not pay for my first 30 days of the medicine, I got it as a free trial, but will likely continue it after the month is over."

Seph (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for : "I took a 36 mg concerta, for the first time ever taking it, yesterday and everything was super enhanced like the speed that I could work things out and perform basic tasks yet it really messed with my senses (mostly taste sight and sound) , heart beat (doubled at resting) and temperature (cold hands and feet) but the weirdest thing of the trip was I was playing jelly bean boozeled and all of the terrible flavours like dog food and barf tasted alright."

Drugmandan (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Concerta works very well in the first years. Gradually I started showing many signs they have here, headache, flu like symptoms, I cannot sleep, out burst of excitement, changes in personality, nausea, and skin rash and skin splitting. I am going to change to another product that does not have all these symptoms."

Topaz (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 28, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was diagnosed with inattentive ADHD/ADD at the age of 21 while at university, as well as mildly chronic fatigue, and was prescribed concerta; first 18mg (which wore off too fast) and now 36mg. When I first started taking it it felt like a miracle drug - for the first time in my life I felt awake, driven, and organized. Over time, it has become less effective - its definitely tolerance building - but it's still way better than going without. I get chest pains and headaches sometimes, I have started getting mild anxiety (which I never had before), and I feel the cold a lot more than I used to. All of this would be completely fine were it not for the main side effect of concerta: weight loss. After around 18 months of taking it daily, my weight has gone from 130lbs to 104lbs - regardless of how much I eat."

Sanamun June 24, 2018

For Depression: "Multiple depression meds either never worked or stopped working so we FINALLY started stimulants. It has been a Godsend! After YEARS of trying so many worthless meds, Ritalin started working by the 3rd day. I was awake in mind and body. Haven't had bad side effects except for talking A LOT and fast. I take two 10 mg in AM and 1 around 5-6 PM. Hoping to up the PM dose to 2 also as it is VERY obvious when the Ritalin is wearing off; it's like the Energizer bunny when it's battery is dying."

Peppy June 19, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "It's something that is useful. It helps me focus and gives me energy to help get my day started. The only thing that bugs me is a suppressed appetite and at times makes my depression worse until it wears off also makes my have to urinate more frequently"

Nicknameman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

For Depression: "Well being bipolar type 1, PTSD, from childhood trauma, social anxiety, and I've tried every antidepressant, but was put on latuda 80mg once daily. I Was put on vyvanse, concerta, strattera, and finally back on Ritalin IR 20mg a day. It helped but didn't get me thru the day, started taking 20mg 2x a day, noticed my depressive episodes went away faster, wouldn't sleep 20+ hours when I was down, I could actually get up and go to work. Kept me out of my own head and dark thoughts, it just helps get me out of my funk. No longer fall asleep on the long ride home from work, can be more social, no longer think people are out to cause me harm. Yeah I still get in my funks but the hopelessness doesn't last as long. Truly is a Godsend for me and I thank my wife (soon to be ex) for reintroducing this to me. I also thankful that I had the time I did with her! (Even though she's divorcing me) "Tis' better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all""

ZiggyMac June 14, 2018

Methylin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "F, 77 in 2018, quasi-retired nerd, ADD without hyperactivity. Last year, fed up with being so distractible, I got my GP to write me a script for generic methylphenidate. Walgreens was dispensing the round, very-pale-orange ones marked DAN 20 5884 (I'd name the manufacturer, but with all the takeovers, name changes, and selloffs I haven't a clue who that is. The pill bottle said Actavis). It's IR not ER, and at a 20mg@06.00, 10@noon, 10@18.00 regimen worked *wonderfully* for me on a number of levels including focus, T2 obesity reduction, available energy level, and even a good night's sleep. This year, I haven't been able to find a pharmacy that carries the 5884 pill, so I settled for Malinckrodt's Methylin. My perception is that it's not even close to being therapeutically equivalent. I perceive it as having an efficacy about 2/3 that of the 5884 one, which is a great disappointment. The difference is so great that I'll likely file a complaint with the FDA."

Nerd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This drug has been nothing but a miracle for me. After years of suffering with concentration/attention problems and a string of failures this drug has allowed me to achieve what I want and excel in my academics and life. I take 20 - 30 mg/day 3 - 5 days a week with regular drug holidays. If you have ADHD and are suffering because of it with a history of failures in your life you won't regret getting treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

For ADHD: "I’ve battled terrible anxiety and depression most of my life. I’ve also battled with severe ADD. I had tried adderall before Ritalin and adderall made me terribly sick and panicked. For months I was afraid to try another stimulant medication. My psychiatrist suggested I try Ritalin at a low dose to see if it helped. I finally agreed because I wondered if my ADD was causing most of my psychological issues. At first Ritalin was only a little helpful. I still had to get used to using a stimulant, but after a couple months when my body became accustomed to it, I found I needed my dose to be increased, and the higher it was increased the less I needed other antidepressants or anxiety medication like Xanax. I took Xanax for years and it never solved my psychological problems only bandaided them. Ritalin actually gave me control over my thoughts and emotions and took away all my fears. I need a fairly high dose of it (80mg per day) for it to work at its best but I no longer need Xanax."

Chris May 17, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I think it's a very good medication and it can helps a lot! I have been taking this drug when I was 14-15 years old and at the beginning it works well but then because I took a high dosage of Ritalin (around 60-80 mg daily) I experienced a few side effects (just like increased heart rate, weight loss and insomnia! So I stoped taking this drug and after that I have been taking Strattera (atomoxetin) for a year but that was terrible. I had insomnia so bad I couldn't sleep for 36-60 hours maybe twice a week and besides that I usually slept 3-4 hours), I also had increase hearth rate (maybe 100-130 in the morning, increase blood pressure(100/190), headache and stomach problem. So I stoped taking this medication too. Now I am 18 years old and I started to take Ritalin but not every day only when I have to learn a lot and just 10mg twice a day and I think it works very well and it has no any side effects. So I thing its a very good and useful medications just the "normal" dosage is very important!"

Miklos25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 8 yr old son has been taking this medication for a week now and it’s only lasting six hours. He takes 2 pills of 17.3 mg every morning and it lasts until about 3 o’clock. My biggest complaint is that when you comes off of it he is incredibly hyperactive and impulsive. Much more so than if he didn’t take any medication at all. The effect of the medication when it is exiting his system is not smooth. He comes off the medication after six hours with a sudden burst of energy. Was hoping for a smooth transition when the medication wears off. Concerta gave him a much smoother transition exiting his body but didn’t last as long as the Cotempla."

Lauren M. May 9, 2018

For ADHD: "Adult female (43yo) ADD, inattentive type. Diagnosed recently after struggling all my life with textbook symptoms. Amazing results from methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg 2x/day. I focus better at work, get through (and create) to-do lists, don't get as easily distracted from conversations, meetings, etc. For example, when in conversation in a busy restaurant, I can filter out things in the room that are unimportant & focus on what my partner is saying."

bean (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

For Narcolepsy: "I was “diagnosed” with narcolepsy about 5 years ago. I use quotations because my sleep specialist said he couldn’t give me an official diagnosis because I was on an SNRI and that I needed to be off that to be diagnosed officially. But he said he had no doubt. He surprisingly prescribed nothing. My psychiatrist prescribed me 27mg of Concerta for my chronic fatigue (to put it lightly) and life changed. I didn’t have to spend my entire days laying down or rushing home to take a nap. I’m awake to spend more time with my children and I feel more energized to do the things that my mind wants to do but my body wouldn’t allow. The only gripe I have is that I still feel the need to take a short nap every day but Concerta keeps my mind too active to relax. Then my anxiety about sleep kicks in and keeps me from taking that much needed nap. So I do spend some time very tired but very wired."

DaniHM May 5, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Side effect for women. I took this for 8 months and bled every day. I was in my mid 20’s and did not realize it was this pill. Even one pill of the lowest amount will cause me to spot. This is a rare condition of .07%. The bleeding was horrible and constant. I spent hundreds of dollars getting tested on my female body to see the cause. Once I realized it was the meds I stopped. Scariest time of my life!!! Be warned ladies. This could happen to you."

Kw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2018

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I have given this med to my son for ADD, but our experience is he is like a zombie. And yet his teacher says he does not focus. Well how can he if his state of mind is where? So I cut back the dosage to 4mg and then 3mg and then 2mg. But he still seems like he is out in left field somewhere and not focusing. Has anyone else had this problem."

Pat (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I grew up with severe panic attacks. When I was 19 up until the age of 27, I stayed in my room. I couldn't leave my house. I had/have severe anxiety and depression Years went by and I lost hope. I didn't have a job; I was a loser. I took a mindfulness class and after each mindfulness tape, I noticed I was in extreme pain; more so than the other people sitting around me. It was then that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was prescribed adderall and Vyvanse for my adhd but they made me extremely tired. Currently, I am on cymbalta, concerta, and Remeron. With this combination, I began a full time job. I have been employed for 7 months and I would be lost without Concerta. If you're looking for a drug that is similar to Wellbutrin, Concerta is the answer. Do not give up hope. Never give up hope. Don't take 'no' for an answer and if a doctor is diagnosing you incorrectly, leave and find a different doctor. There is a right combination of medication out there for you. Never give up!"

29 female April 15, 2018

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "The day I took ritalin LA I could channel all I needed to do within a day. I felt extremely happy and open minded. Socially my anxiety was cured and my energy focused to what was most important to me. It is good to take it daily and withdrawing dosages for a while to achieve the same dopamine release/ combat tolerance."

Xavier (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Ritalin works well for ADHD. It is not a long lasting medication. Most of the the time it’s given in tablet form and does only last about 3-4 hours. So you will need to take it a couple of times throughout the day. I have been on vayvanse and adderall as well. Adderall works best for me. Vayvanse also works well but it lasts for so long, 12 hours or more. I can still eat and have appetite on adderall and Ritalin but with vayvanse I could go all day without eating. Ritalin is a good medication when taken correctly that will help with adhd."

Huron92 April 11, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "Had Narcolepsy from age 5 due to brain swelling. Ritalin has definitely helped. I can do a lot of things other than sleeping when I am on it.... When I am on it sometimes I Hyperventilate however. I take in everything around me (sounds, sights, smells). And I do worry sometime does it overload my brain and in long term would that end up making more problems down the road? Also because I need to be put on a higher does because my body becomes use to it. Pupils are always big on these meds (so I wear sunglasses to look after my eyes when I am out. Heart rate resting sits around 130bpm and goes up when going to the gym or working out. And cannot do long distances running. My hands shake a lot often need help from husband to drink tea as it can be difficult. All in all I guess it does sound bad my side effects but it gives me my life back. I gives me time were I am not tired so I will do it."

ShortyGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

Metadate CD (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Hi my son has been taking Metadate since he was 6. He is 8 years old now a complete turnaround in school his grades went from E's to A's and B's straight-A sometimes. He eats very well he gained his weight we haven't lost any weight with this medicine. But I'm make him eat lunch whether it be a pack of peanut butter crackers. He's growing like a weed. The only side effect is he ill when it comes off of it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I switched to cotempla from Vyvanse due to tolerance issues, and I think the cotempla works much better for my ADD. It kicks in in about 20 minutes, the tablets taste fine, and it stays effective for about 9 hours after I take it. It also had less of the amphetamine side effects like jitters, anxiety, and elevated heart rate. My only complaint is that they only make 25.9mg tablets as the max dosage, so I have to take two a day, but in my opinion it is much more effective for ADD than Vyvanse and adderall."

Akdsj114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was recently switched from my Adderall XR 10mg to Concerta 18mg because my insurance didn't want to cover my Adderall until I tried Concerta. The transition has been terrible. I've only been on the medication for 5 days and it has been horrible. I was optimistic going in because I've never tried it before, but it has been a rough 5 days. On Concerta my restlessness is worse, I have no desire to eat because the thought of food disgusts me, I get headaches, I have zero motivation to do anything, and I feel extremely down/apathetic. I've heard this medication works for some people, but it was horrible for me. I'm so glad I can switch back to Adderall."

ADHDer (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018