User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Depression 25 reviews 79 medications

6.6
Obesity 1 reviews 61 medications

Summary of Methylphenidate reviews 518 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Methylphenidate

For Depression: "Been taking this for exactly 7 months. Helps a lot!! First month had side effects. Best antidepressant I've tried. I take 10mg 2x per day. Occasionally I take a day off."

Hi(: (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 23, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "just got diagnosed with add and im 19yrs old the doc prescribe me 36mg concerta and this my second day taking the pill and i still feel the same"

scoob123 August 23, 2016

For Fatigue: "Prescribed to give me more energy. Haven't been on it but for a few days, but all I want to do is sleep! I had more pep before I started taking it!"

Anonymous August 20, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Been taking Concerta XL for a while with a steady titration from 18mg up to 81mg. I take it around 9am each morning and the first few hours are very restless. However by early noon say 1-2pm I go into a slow sometimes dragging comedown which makes me sleepy and therefore having a knap during the day. This leads to an almost sleepless night which can upset my brain in many ways. Positives: Alert, talkative, sociable and above all CONCENTRATE. Negatives: Jaw Clenching (gurning), sweaty, sleepless night (because of the midday knap) All in all I have tried alteting dosage times in the morning and I can quite easily eat without feeling nausea. Weight loss is noticable but at a good stable rate. Many people have to give Concerta a chance."

Mr ADHD (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Son was recently diagnosis for ADHD in June 2016 and just had his first dose on 8/16/16 Dr recommended that we start at least a couple days before school just to see how it works. Well as a mother whom was against Meds at first was impressed with it on first day with the exception that i notice around the 4th hr that he had started to move his mouth alot, lick lips and move tongue around inside of his mouth uncontrollably and it was concerning to me. Eventually it did stop around 11th hr after he was given dose. Im not sure what this could be i do see one of the symptom is dry mouth, can anyone tell me if their child experience this or what this maybe."

Hope for my Son (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I got this for my 5 year old daughter, who has high functioning autism. This medication was a godsend in terms of making her focus and follow directions, but sadly, we had to stop giving it to her because it made her terrified of everything. She became very paranoid and things she used to love suddenly scared her (example, blowing bubbles became scary!) She became jumpy and had nightmares. We tried to work with this medication for over a year, no luck. She's is 7 years old now, and we finally took her off of it. After being off of it for a little over a week, she is no longer scared and paranoid about everything. She is back to being unfocused and not following directions, but I would rather have her unfocused than terrified of everything"

cowgirl_boots August 16, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Quillivant has changed our lives. My 12-year old son has ADHD with slight autism. When he isn't on medication he is depressed, cries a lot and can be inappropriate. He won't swallow a pill. We tried a few medications and the patch, but they all had instant side effects. We love that Quillivant is a liquid and at 5ml he is very happy. The only slight side effect is decrease in appetite. It wears off 8 hours later when we give him a Ritalin pill that he chews. Yuck. We couldn't be happier with this product, but it is hard to find at pharmacies. Get a discount card for only a $20 co-pay."

Mom who wants happiness for ki (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 13, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "My 9yr old daughter was on the Daytrana 10mg patch the last half of the school year. The daytrana patch did eliminate the spacing out, and she did excell in her classes the last quarter of the school year. She brought her D's and U's up to C's and B's. I took her off the medication over the summer and now she's been back on the same 10mg Daytrana patch for 4 days. She has barely been able to eat anything. She cries because of the constant stomach pain. She's been complaining that her vision is getting blurry (which is listed as a known side effect) she has also been throwing up about once a day. I'm currently trying to work with the specialist to see if this will even out or if I should pull her off the patch ASAP."

Nervous Nellie35 August 11, 2016

Ritalin (methylphenidate) for Narcolepsy: "Taken Ritalin over 15 yrs for NARCOLEPSY. Provigal to $$. Over the years I have increased to 40mg two times daily. Have not (and won't) increased dosage in over 5 yrs. Retired now so it's easier to adjust mg. If I feel it's not working, I will stop taking it for a week or two (if possible) and then go back 10 mg at a time. May be time consuming but never had addiction. Considering the SR."

Jeanettesretired (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 16. I was prescribed 36mg Comcentra I took it at 8:30pm (was suppose to take it in morning) it worksd it helped me focus but 3 hours into it I started feeling anxiety and later I had a crash. Couldn't sleep stayed up the whole entire night. I also has many other side effects like lack of appitite and heavy breathing might be to large of a dose but overall without the crazy side effects it helped me get stuff done and concentrate"

Slythers (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2016

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "This is the first and only medication we've given to my 6yo son since being diagnosed with adhd in January 2016. It works very well. We give him his dose at 6:30am during the school year and the teacher notices it wearing off by about 2pm. The only noticeable side affects were a slight decrease in appetite the first few weeks, and slightly more difficulty when settling down for bed at night. We no longer have either issue. It is pricy. We pay $$65/month with our insurance plan. We live in PA and have to pick up the prescription from the doctor's office each month. We've also had an issue occasionally when our pharmacy does not have quillivant in stock. When this happened we had to drive to several pharmacies to find one who had it."

Mvh313 August 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been on Concerta XL for 3 years now I have two large (36mg the highest dose for my age) every morning. I suffer from ADHD well ADD and it really helps me feel motivated and helps me look forward to things. I lost 4 ish stone and went from 16.7 stone to 12 in 4 years as my adhd made me eat when I was bored/sad/happy and It really ruined my life. I don't have an appetite anymore and only eat in the afternoon once it's worn off. I do drink a lot of fluids as on the tablets I get thirsty. I'm more social and i enjoy everyday activities a lot more including chores. Negatives : the come down is awful and I usually slip into a depression but it is worth it ! I'd recommend it to anyone !"

Liv562000 August 6, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I've been taking Concerta XL for around 2 months after finally being diagnosed as and adult. I started on 18mg, and within half an hour, I felt able to concentrate and focus on tasks for the 1st time. A couple of days later, I had crippling headaches but everything settled down after that. My resting heart rate has sped up by 10bpm whilst the medication is in effect. I'm currently on 54mg and the therapeutic effects are great, but I feel dehydrated no matter how much water I drink, and I have developed sinus problems. It's worth it though."

Smiddy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I was prescribed Concerta 54mg for two weeks, and after two weeks my dosage was lowered to 36mg. The positive effects: First of all, it was absolutely effective at keeping me focused, engaged, and gave me the motivation to continue working away at my given tasks. It also accelerated my perception of time. The (manageable) negatives: It made me so focused on tasks that I was antisocial. Fixating on annoying sounds, anxiety, sweaty palms, no appetite, and weight loss (25lbs). I found I was lacking emotion, and during the long comedown I was irritable and rarely I experienced mild to moderate depression. Concerta is an effective ADHD drug, but the emotional effects can be annoying at times. It is worth consulting your doctor about!"

Isoprophlex July 28, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Daytrana really helped with my ADD, as it is a time release patch rather than a pill, and the pills don't usually keep me medicated long enough. I process them too fast. So the patches work great. Minimal skin irritation. However, it may have caused some kind of dependency issue. Because I now rely on the Daytrana to help me focus, I find it difficult to focus without it, to the point of being unmotivated and grumpy if I don't apply the patch. But nothing major."

Chris was already taken July 22, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I'm 17 and have been taking 18mg Concerta every day for a week and a half. This is the second medication I've tried after being diagnosed with ADHD (I was also diagnosed with major depression). First I tried Adderall, and while it made me feel very alert and productive, I could not handle the severe depressed feelings from the comedown. So far Concerta has made me feel productive and positive for about 3 hours, and then depression slowly creeps in and gets progressively worse for about 8 more hours. It's not as intense as the depression from Adderall (which even led to suicidal thoughts), but it lasts longer. I also become irritable, anxious, and tired. I've also lost weight because trying to eat makes me feel queasy."

ap0819 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "For three years we have tried so many meds to control my daughter's ADHD. None worked or it would work for a month and stop. This was our miracle drug. She had no side affects. It's been a long three years and we finally have normalcy in our lives. It's a 12 hours release as well, unlike the others at 8 hours."

JennBMS July 14, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Yes it helped a lot and i love the fact that i can concentrate now because before i couldn't concentrate at all. The thing is that after a few hours, i start to feel really depressed and really emotionnal but i love the fact that i can express myself better now."

lady2121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 9, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "18mg dose, day 1. Was hungover so took paracetamol, had taken ritalin as a kid and this is the first time I had meds in years, had a migraine, was irritable, tunnel vision, extreme anxiety almost brought to tears, slight suicidal tendancies, hallucinations relating to anxiety and had a hard time articulating myself as my memory was shot and my thoughts were rapid and I felt impulsive and dehydrated very easily, however I feared worse effects from withdrawels so I took it again the next day and I played abit of guitar and that set my mood for the whole day, constantly euphoric. ive just passed day 3 and hardly felt any effect off the drug, overall remained productive and achieved everything I wanted even on worst day. Will see how it goes."

pandarada July 7, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Do yourself a favor and stay away from this drug. After being on this medication for about a month I began to experience auditory and visual hallucinations, appetite loss, insomnia and heart palpitations. It did nothing to relieve my ADHD either. Doc tried lowering the dosage and changing what time I would take it, but it made little difference. I flushed the rest down the toilet and stopped taking it after 6 months."

Stan G1994 June 22, 2016

Daytrana (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Daytrana made me manic, paranoid, and eventually psychotic. I had no difficulty stopping using it--no cravings. After I was off it I had withdrawal symptoms the likes of which I cannot describe; simply sheer misery and dread, almost total insomnia. It last 1.5 years."

SoulDog Newtrix June 22, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: " I have been using Concerta for many years. It has helped so much, but the only downside to it is it makes me lose weight. I went off of my meds for about three months and gained 50 pounds. This was because I had the habit of eating whatever I want whenever I want and not gain any weight. I was an A student and as soon as I went off my meds I was getting Fs in all of my classes. I then went back on my meds and within three weeks of me being back on concerta, I lost all of the weight I had gained(because I had to make the habit of not eating so much within those three months), I raised some of my grades to As and some to Ds. I still passed 7th grade because of my circumstance.I have ADD, ADHD, and Cerebral Paulsey."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 21, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "I am male, 50 years old and recently diagnosed with ADHD. Started taking Concerta almost 4 weeks ago, and much like everyone else, started at 18mg dosage and now at 54mg. I'm not really sure how Concerta has affected me in my daily life yet, accept perhaps helping me getting into deep sleep and dream again. there are number of symptoms that I like to share with you: - I wasn't much of a forgetful person to start with, but now I tend to forget things - definitely low libido and ejaculation issue - lack of appetite - lost interest talking to people specially woman/ mind you, I'm single - no problems sleeping, though I also take 10mg Cipralex"

Ray1332 June 19, 2016

For ADHD: "I am sixteen, I have had Attention problems since I was little and I was put into special education classes because of it. I didn't go to the doctor for a diagnosis until a couple of months ago. When I went to the doctor she said I had all the symptoms so she gave me the option of medication. I said I would try it so she prescribed me 20 mg of Methylphenidate, it lasts me about 6 hours. It really helped on my ACT, I tried to take the ACT without using it and I didn't do well at all. I took the ACT with the medication and I did so much better. I also like it because it makes me a nicer person. I am literally kind to everyone. The only bad thing is that when it wears off I am really tired, probably because I am focused for so long."

Shannoniscool (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

Concerta (methylphenidate) for ADHD: "Today was my first day taking concerta. I am 19 and have pretty severe ADHD and a little anxiety that coincides with the ADHD. I took 36mg at 8:30 am and kicked in at 10. I definitely noticed it, I felt alert and energetic but not focused, and I still found myself pretty forgetful before leaving for work. By the end of work I felt really emotionless and had a head ache, and when I got home at 6 I began crying for no particular reason. After crying I felt much better and focused very well on school work. Now I feel happier but surprised by how much of a roller coaster the whole day was. Overall I'm not sure this is the medication for me, hoping this reaction is normal and it just takes some time to adjust."

ellesloth19 June 15, 2016