User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Methylphenidate Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Methylphenidate to treat ADHD

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate): "Both my daughters are on aptensio my 12 year old is on 50mg and 9 year old 20 mg. My 12 year old is 4'11 , 80 pounds. She eats and eats and eats all day. She's constantly hungry and still having problems in school! Also notice she has mood swings and gets mad more easily! I feel helps hyper part , but not fully helping focusing, she been on it over a year now! My 9 year old eats I would say normal! Helps her with focus and hyper. So I would say definitely helps her."

Stl_84 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "It's amazing how much more focused my 16 year old son is, since he started his daily 36mg Concerta. His work effort and work quality is improved dramatically. Yes, managing his food consumption has been a bit of work. His appetite is definitely not what it used to be, but we're working on it. Although it's only been 3 weeks, we are all thrilled with his response. Good luck to all!"

EJCALI September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "It's bad for kids with ADHD because when I was 5 they gave it to me it kept me up for 72 hours and I took it every 4 days."

blakers September 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "When my son couldn't swallow, the patch was the perfect alternative for his ADD. He never did have the hyperactivity. We used it for years but he developed a nasty allergic skin reaction to it and we had to stop using it. We miss the ease of it and the simplicity of the 8am-6pm use of it. By bedtime he was ready to sleep. With Concerta he has to take Benadryl to help him sleep. If only they could have fixed that problem"

Mumreese (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate): "Thinking that there has been a misdiagnosis as Ritalin had the opposite to that promised. Violence, aggressive tendencies and amplified mood swings, far worse than before. When not screetching, behaviour was "loopy", super-happy and still unfocused. Ceased 4 weeks into a 6 week trial - by necessity."

Ells Bells (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "My son has severe ADHD and Autism. My son was graduated to 36 mg time release Concerta. His behaviour did improve very slightly, however, he lost nearly 10% of his body weight in a short 3 months. We could hardly get him eat. We started to supplement him on an immediate release 10mg Ritalin tablet before school and it was an absolute miracle. We removed the concerta and then increased his Ritalin to 10mg three times a day and its like a new child. While its the same drug, the delivery system is completely different. I firmly believe that the digestive system needs to be looked at for each individual taking Concerta. For my son, the delivery system of the Concerta did nothing positive"

mikeyinto (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "I was prescribed the 10mg IR Ritalin, to be taken three times a day a few weeks ago. To say the least, I have developed a tolerance to the drug. It has a bad comedown 2-3 hours after I take the drug. But it has done wonders for my depression and ADHD symptoms. The only downside I found is that it makes me feel like a zombie, too focused, much nervous and has a nasty after-effects. But so far it has been a revolutionary step in my life. I will try switching to the LA version though."

caduhunterbr (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "Terrible experience. My son is affected with ASD and ADHD. We gave him Concerta for one day by prescription. All symptoms have worsen dramatically, He became extremely nervous and did not sleep a half of night."

SANAVA August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Methylphenidate (Ritalin), which is always understood to denote IMMEDIATE-RELEASE, is a miracle medication w/practically zero side effects.I mean true Schedule 2 stimulant narcotic methylphenidate ..not Adderall, not Dexedine,not dextroamphetamine, not atomoxetine. My weight, brain, overall health, wellness, & relationships are healthier on rigorous doses of methylphenidate (Immediate-Release plus Ritalin LA or Immediate-Release plus Concerta); however, pharmacies have to understand that the generic must be the true actual commercially available exact product in every aspect as brand. "

Ritalinimmediaterelease August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "I have only been on ritalin for a couple days now and the results are great. My concentration and focus has improved, I can get more things done and I feel more motivated and self assured. My social life is better and can keep a conversation going. The downsides for me where fast heart rate which made me feel anxious, a bad headache when I first took it and a decreased in appetite. Overall this is working for me so far and I would say to not abuse this drug, combine it with alcohol or anything else and to eat well before taking medicine. hope this helps"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I was prescribed this by my doctor and it was terrible. I stopped taking it after 5 days because my doctor told me to. It made me angry all the time. It did not help my concentration. Also, 3 days after taking it I still have shortness of breathe, my heart is still beating hard, and the left part of my chest has immense pressure on it. I'm never taking this stuff again. Trust me, nobody needs it."

John94 (taken for less than 1 month) July 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My internist gave me methylphenidate (the active ingredient in Ritalin) for an ADHD disorder that I didn't even know I had. My God! My world finally made sense, and I was able to finally concentrate on a single task without having something pull me away for no earthly reason. And on top of that, the peripheral neuropathy in my feet, courtesy of a few early drugs in the HIV era, disappeared... totally. I didn't even need my methadone until I began to develop a tolerance for the methylphenidate. I'm the only person my pharmacist has heard of who experienced this effect, but I am sure not complaining. This is truly a miracle drug for me, but since I went to a larger insurance company, with it's own doctors, it's been refused it to me."

Chuck-e July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "I was trying to fall asleep for 20 minutes then I said ohh crap I forgot to take it off. So now I will be awake for 3 more hours. It is very bad if you are a busy person like me. Uggg so tired but can't sleep."

To tired to make name Bla bla June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After three years of constant downs with behavior, my son was finally diagnosed with ADHD at six. We’ve tried 10 mg ($60), 20mg ($99) and 30mg ($104)- all of which has worked for about a 1- 1.5 months and then stops. Our pros (when it is working): concentration improved (could actually sit down and read a chapter book), hyperactivity calmed down, but not enough to make him sluggish and school attitude improved. Cons: didn’t last long during the day as well as it stopped working after a month of taking every day as well as loss of appetite (lost 5 lbs over the last 5 months). Since we keep plateauing his doctor has switched him to Vyvanse."

KaylaL June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I have a nine year old son who was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of six. We tried Focalin first and it made him extremely weepy. A month later we tried Vyvanse and had a good experience with it for three years. There was a major rebound effect but we felt lucky to have some relief from symptoms for the hours that we did and dealt with the negatives. We moved from CA to a high altitude state and his meds went haywire. We tried Strattera for two months and he had a stable mood but zero focus. We started Concerta two weeks ago and are extremely happy. We aren't dealing with an afternoon rebound!!!! He is pleasant. He can focus. We are hopeful that the good will continue. I suggest trying this drug or another one if you aren't 100% satisfied."

Carojak (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "There are some things I love about this medicine, like my ability to focus and get things done. But I really hate the side effect of having no appetite because I'm skinny to begin with. It also increases my heart rate which can make my feel anxious. It also gives me diarrhea which my doctor said does happen to some people. It's super effective, but I wish I could get rid of those side effects. may be better for people who do not need to focus 12 hours a day like I do because I require 3 doses a day."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate): "At 55 years of age I am diagnosed with ADHD. It was something I always knew about myself (have Bsc Psych). However, historic issues of sexual abuse at school caused issues / depression / PTSD. I was first given Citalopram and diazepam. I cannot say with certainty it helped a lot. However, once diagnosed with adult ADHD I was prescribed Ritalin LA. It has been nothing short of a miracle for me. Up early, happier, and getting on with life as best I can. Some minor side effects went away as I continued. Also changed to a decent DE-CAFF coffee. Caffinated make me anxious and cancels the positives. Was easy to do. I see Ritalin LA as a positive for my depression."

trouble61 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "In early elementary school I was diagnosed with ADHD. It's not common for females to have it. I started on ritalin. It helped, but I stopped taking it in high school because I was worried about the stigma. In University I took it off and on. After graduating, I took it only during major changes because it helped me cope, but I never wanted to rely on it. Now I'm trying to get my career going in the field I want to be in and I'm stressed out of my mind. I have anxiety and my family doc is concerned I'm going through depression. I'm back on Concerta and have been for a few days. It is the 18mg dosage, but while I feel a bit more focused, sadly I feel more focused on my emotions. Hopefully when I move up to 27mg I will be less forgetful and anxious."

28F (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "This drug has cause way to many side effects on my 12 year old grandchild. Has cause her body to over develop very fast."

Reis grand (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate): "My daughter has been taking Aptensio for 3 months now. She takes 50mg once a day. She has taken just about every drug on the market. The longest lasting about 8 months. She takes the Aptensio at 7am and by 3:00 when she comes home she is a total train wreck! The come down for her is fast and has her acting worse than before medicated. She says she isn't really finding her focus to be much better when at school. However, in the past 3 months she has put on 5 lbs. She is always hungry which is a total change from any other stimulant med she has tried. I take the same med and have put on 13lbs. in three months. We know of two other children that have gained as well and love the med. So if your child is under weight from stimulants try this one"

female 11 years old (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate): "I have been taking Aptensio now for 3 months. I have been diagnosed with ADHD now for about 2 1/2 years. I have taken just about every non stimulant and stimulant on the market. I am currently taking 50mg of the Aptensio once a day. I am finding myself still scattered brained and my memory is horrible. I think the pill is lasting about 6 hrs and then I have a hard come down making me a total witch! The one thing that I have noticed is that I have put 12 lbs. on in 3 months. I am constantly eating! I had my thyroid checked and it came back normal. I have spoke with other people that say they are gaining weight on the pill as well."

Female 45 years old May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, which I didn't think I had until I started college. Things then became more clear! I started off on Adderall, which I hated because it made me irritible, jittery, and I found it totally unhelpful. Weary the of stimulants, I switched to Wellbutrin, which helped, but only a little. I decided to give Concerta a shot, as my psychiatrist told me it's like a more specialized version of Ritalin, and I've been amazed by the results! It lasts me most of the day, and I can finally focus on work and conversations! My quality of life is so much better now that I'm on Concerta. I take the 27mg XL dose."

Jeff777 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I was late being diagnosed with ADHD, (late 40s) I was diagnosed Bipolar in 1992, but never felt this was the correct diagnosis as my meds never helped me with all the different thoughts going on in my head. As soon as I started concerta, I felt more relaxed, my concentration improved greatly and I could sleep peacefully without any benzodiazepines. I am currently (for over 4 years) on a dose of 72mg, it still is as effective as when I started and luckily I haven't any of the listed side effects. I think if anybody feels they have ADHD they should seek Psychiatric help to do the relevant tests."

Peter55 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Concerta (methylphenidate): "Had ADHD symptoms growing up, due to cultural reasons and beliefs, family always dismissed it. In 2nd year law school at the moment, had to work 5x harder than others. Started living away from family and finally got ADHD diagnosis done. Was prescribed concerta. I was 154cm height and 47kg before concerta. Titration period - 18mg 1 week, 27mg 1w, 36mg 3w and 54mg 8w. 18-27mg at first was amazing. No side effects, brimming with motivation but, wore in 4h. 36mg, was ok but wasn't as great as the initial effect, wore off after 4h. 54mg, developed an uncontrollable cough, mood swings, dry mouth, anxiety. Lost 5kg weight. Now on Vyvanse. Cough took 2 + weeks since quitting concerta to stop. Advice - if side effects are bad & lasts 1w+ change meds!"

Ricola May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "Fantastic controlled for the first time in my life"

Bloomers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017