User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Learn more about Methylphenidate.

Methylphenidate Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Methylphenidate to treat ADHD

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "Fantastic controlled for the first time in my life"

Bloomers (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate): "My daughter was put on this for her ADHD and it has worked reasonably thus far. We weren't looking for a miracle cure as everything has its pros and cons. We have Tricare Prime and I pay $25 a month for her bottle."

Sherbr (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "Tips for taking off the patch: use oil (we use skin so soft, but any oil will work) to rub into the skin around the edges of the patch and let it sit for a little bit... maybe about 20 - 30 seconds... pull it gently while continuing to rub oil into the edges a little at a time, repeat. The oil dissolves the "glue" and also helps remove the sticky residue that shows up a day later, easier to just wipe off after being sprayed with a mist of oil than scrubbed off with soap and water. Breakfast is all ready to eat when she wakes up- sometimes I make a high calorie, high nutrient smoothie and give it to her while she's still in bed, put the patch on at the same time, let her snooze for 20 more minutes; PM gets high cal/high nutrient snack"

Anonymous April 11, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"1. Prescribed Ritalin 7 years ago. 2. Therefore speaking from experience. 3. Please be careful (specially mothers of little children) 4. This substance can be abused. 5. It promotes false sense of euphoria. 6. Might be very tempting for curious or emotionally unstable people. 7. I do understand, if used properly, it does help to calm children's with ADD down but trust me its schedule 2 drug for a reason. 8. It's a very strong substance. 9. It affects consciousness and if abused can make you greedy, lusty and delusional. 10. To me during the times of my abuse, a few pills of Ritalin daily made me feel like I was on cocaine. 11. Even if your child doesn't abuse it, long term damage is done, quitting cold turkey might be a tragedy."

D.ysbrand (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "First, any doctor that would prescribe 30 milligram patch for a 4 year old should have his/her license removed. My son who is 7 has never done better in school or socially until we started the patch in 1/17. It may not be for every child but it has changed our lives and I don't say that lightly. If your insurance doesn't cover Daytrana, you can use Good RX for better pricing as well as the manufacturer's coupon."

Cory Leigh (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "My daughter has tried almost every ADHD drug there is. She is a junior in high school and has a very busy schedule. Daytrana is the only way she is able to get her homework done. She takes the patch off an hour before she is done and off to sleep she goes. This is the only medication that does not have harsh side effect for her. I hate that I have to drive all over town to find a pharmacy that has it in stock. I sure hope this shortage ends soon!"

Catherine Marie March 28, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "Been on and off Ritalin for yrs. The reg. version works well for me, but its effect was gone in under 3 hrs. The extended release was useless - I metabolize it too quickly and was ODing on it after about an hr. When I was working, it was great not wasting time getting distracted by crap: no retracing my steps to remember what I was looking for; no wondering why I had the telephone in my hand - was I calling or answering, etc? But I didn't like driving under Ritalin - I was used to having my attention all over the place and being able to see EVERYTHING that was going on around me: traffic slowing 5 blocks up; a wingnut weaving thru lanes 2 blocks behind. I only took it while working or when I needed to focus. Same thing now."

LaFleik (taken for 10 years or more) March 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Allows me to focus, relieves undue anxiety and able to organize my daily tasks more easily and also allows me to more effectively manage my emotions and reactions to unanticipated incidents."

mrMagik (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 17, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I'm 21 and I've been taking 72mg (two 36mg barrels) a day since I was about 17. Concerta changed my life. I was failing school and no matter how hard I tried, it didn't change anything. I became depressed, slept for 14+ hours a day, I gave up. Then I was prescribed and it changed my life. It keeps me focused, motivated, and energized. Though, the side effects are very real. I don't sleep much, which is why I usually don't take it on weekends to catch up on sleep. It kills my appetite, so I eat a big breakfast before I take it in the mornings. It does elevate my anxiety, and not saying it's something I suggest.. but I smoke cigarettes to help that. Oh, and I don't know if this is common or not.. But it keeps my digestive track regular!"

Linds3120 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate): "I am 37 years old and was finally diagnosed with Adult ADHD almost 2 years ago so I was put on 20 mg Adderal XR and it worked great. But I did start to notice that I would get pretty irritable on it mostly when it was wearing off. So I wanted to try a different medication to see if there was one I wasn't so grumpy on. So I started Metadate CD and I was not irritable on that one at all :) But it seemed to wear off within 4 hours and made me soo tired. So now I am on Aptensio and it has been pretty good so far I have only been on it for about a week and it really does last a long time and I am able to stay focused. I don't feel a crash like Adderal. I would just recommend taking it early in the morning so it can wear off before you go to bed."

Kittiebunnie (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I have been taking Strattera 60MG for 6 months and am a Male that weighs 185LBS and is 6 ft 2 in. The ATX(Strattera) was not enough to help my severe unmotivation. I recently added on Concerta (alza 18mg generic) to my medications and it has helped dramatically. Like a pair of eyeglasses, I can now "see" my life in a better light. It will not get your work done for you nor will it solve all of your issues that you may have, but it will make life a LOT easier to live. Instead of always worrying and being behind, I can get what is real important done and get to what is important another day. My mood has not been bad, my driving is less road rageish. I'm a LOT less stressed out and anxious. I'm blessed to get help at age 22. I am doing well"

Lostinmythoughts8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 5, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "I was diagnosed with ADD in elementary school. I have taken 3 different kinds of ADD medication and Daytrana has worked the best BY FAR! Strattera made me feel weird as a child. Adderall was terrible for me! I was mean and agitated easily, got headaches a lot, just an all around bad experience for me. I had taken Daytrana in high school and liked it, so when I went home for Christmas break from my first semester at college and told my mom I wanted back on medication I quit taking adderal, but NEEDED something bad! I went back on Daytrana have been on it for a year and half now and I made the Athletic Presidential Honour Roll for my conference! Daytrana= miracle and a yes, for all ADD people!"

dcsmith123 February 24, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metadate CD (methylphenidate): "My son is currently on 20mgs once a day. Diagnosed and medicated September 2016. We noticed he does this blank stare where his eyes roll up and makes a tasting motion with his mouth. I notified Dr and he had a EEG done. Turns out they were seizures. He is doing super well in school, complete 180 but I don't think it worth it. He's now on liquid keppra. I feel like has just going down hill. Super irritable, mood swings which they said was a side effect of being on both. Very disheartening. Waiting for MD to call back to change his med to a non stimulant."

Gricelda February 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "Hello my son is 4 years old and today was his first time with the daytrana patch. The Dr gave him the 30mg he was going crazy shaking his hands moving his mouth side to side sticking out his tongue couldn't stay still...I think it was to way too high of dosing for him and he doesn't really want to eat. "

Anonymous February 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Metadate CD (methylphenidate): "This made my son so extremely tired. Also changed his personality"

Maggie747422 February 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It does work, depending on your dosage. But when I use it I find that I'm hyperactive, jittery, over excited, slightly aroused, and sometimes in a good mood (but that changes when it crashes). It's similar to coffee in its side effects but it lasts much much longer. After I come home from college I find I'm depressed (on occasion), still jittery, still "wound up", sometimes exited, and very uncomfortable. While it does help me focus it is not pleasant to be on it. I took the 54 MG dosage but I have been on smaller dosages before and has the same issues. Also when driving I feel like it lowers my ability to drive but I'm not 100% sure if it does or if its my imagination."

A person with ADHD February 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate): "My 9 year old has been on 40mg for almost 6 months now. It worked great for the first 4 months, then its effectiveness wore off. He developed a "TIC" about a month and a half ago, and then a month ago he started getting very moody. Its just gotten worse as the time goes on. This is frustrating because we have tried a bunch of medicines and 2 have worked but it seems after 6 months the side effects hit full force."

KatieAMos February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Age 33 Male I have ADHD and High Functioning Autism. Unmedicated I am lazy, forgetful, unorganized, cluttered messy home. Insomnia every other year (up to 72 hours) Medicated I have photographic memory, grab life by the horns, organized, clean. Insomnia is the same as long as I take 10 MG Melatonin daily) My side effects: Dry Mouth and Insomnia Overall: I'm continuing to take medication like Methylphenidate. BTW Think about what your writing as a review before you call something awful and horrible. Chemotherapy wrecks the body but sometimes medication's side effects aren't cared about for what they accomplish. I was told to stay away from concerta and in the end it's one of the better medications for me. Vyvanse for me = no side effects"

Itikuo84 (taken for 10 years or more) January 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I was recently prescribed this and let me tell you even with it being a stimulant it has helped my anxiety, I can explain things a lot better. I can focus more - my brain isn't all over the place. I feel a lot more confident my form on my workouts are better, I'm losing a lot of weight though. At 27 years of age I was recently diagnosed with aspergers because of social situations. I am now 28 as I type this. When I was a kid I was first diagnosed as learning disabled. Throughout my teens and early adult hood I was diagnosed with social anxiety, and depression. But I do not care, because my symptoms improved dramatically. I have a really good doctor and therapist. So that's helping as well."

Linkinparkfan88 January 27, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Ritalin-SR (methylphenidate): "I used to be on SR then was switched to immediate release which made such a difference, now I'm stuck back on SR, they aren't effective at all, it bothers my stomach and now I feel depressed and wondering how I'm going to get thru work"

Tgis sucks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate): "This medication does nothing for me. I still can't concentrate or remember much. I am taking 60mg(12ml) daily. I have read a lot of positive reviews for Dexedrine and will be asking for it."

thx1432 (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate): "I have been on this medicine for approx a week with no benefits whatsoever. I am taking 60 mg(12ml) a day. Dexedrine, on the other hand, has very positive reviews and will be asking for Dexedrine next appt."

P.F. (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Turned my life around 180*. I am 22 years old and I am shocked at which age kids get that stuff. Makes me wonder if parents actually look into this drug. I just cant understand how this could be good for a kid. Its a mix of speed and cocaine, seriously. Try it yourself before giving this to your kids. I can't stress this enough"

PARENTSareIGNORANT (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Daytrana (methylphenidate): "Hi all, My son who is 12 was diagnosed when he was in 2nd grade. We tried everything before medication. When we tried meds, the first one made him loose weight, fast. The second gave him a nasty tic that thankfully went away as soon as he stopped the med, the third worked for a couple of years and around January of last year we started to have problems so his doctor recommended Daytrana. It has been wonderful for my son! Easy to use, he handles this for himself each day and takes it off when he gets home from school. The patch effects last long enough for him to do his homework. He does have issues with weight gain and sleep but he uses melatonin before bed if he feels like he will not be able to shut down. The shortage is KILLING us!"

Mom of two boys (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Concerta (methylphenidate): "Male age 47 adhd sufferer.... Been taking concerta xl 36mg for the past 12 years now.. To start with, I didn't understand how the drug would help me.. But now Looking back it has proved to be a fantastic drug that has tweaked the way I live my life.. But I say this with caution, as its not perfect and it caused me a lot of other problems.. Like someone has said on here before it doesn't turn you into a fully focus person. Sorry. Well it hasn't for me but it has helped me over time to stop beating myself up on that bloody roundabout in my mind, and gain a little bit of confidence..Balance of mind ultimately came when I was prescribed antidepressants.. So I use concerta at 4am and antidepressants at 8pm.."

Balance of mind (taken for 10 years or more) January 11, 2017