User Reviews for Methylphenidate to treat ADHD

Also known as: Concerta, Ritalin, Quillivant XR, Jornay PM, Ritalin LA, Aptensio XR, QuilliChew ER, Adhansia XR, Cotempla XR-ODT, Metadate CD, Daytrana, Methylin, Relexxii, Methylin ER

Methylphenidate Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Methylphenidate

Bikerboy · Taken for 10 years or more July 2, 2020

“Mallinckrodt methylphenidate hci 20mg. Weak and ineffective. Ndc#00406-1146-01.”

nathan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

“highly addictive but try using the extended release ones they work well.”

Pat1414 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “Having suffered with Depression and ADHD as an adult, honestly this medication is a godsend. I'm only on 18mg (Extended release) and take it with Wellbutrin (for the depression) and I must say it's a life changer! (The X release makes a big difference - blood levels are more stable) No more emotional moods, no more crying, no more feeling like dying, no more negative thoughts. Also, you can concentrate for long periods of time and not get frustrated and be very clear minded. I can study for 6 hours straight! After trying so many medications, this just works. Side effects: Fast heart beat, LOTS of energy and maybe a libido boost. Really good for adult ADHD and Depression. Please note. Everyone is different. You might have a different experience.”

Animal Girl · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 16, 2020

Aptensio XR (methylphenidate): “I started on Concerta and take 60mg because I developed a tolerance to it. That was back in high school. Now I am in college and take Aptensio XR. Aptensio lasts all day for me and it makes a lot easier to focus. I love not having to take two pills a day like I had to in high school.”

Robyn March 23, 2020

“Krill oil with the METHYLPHENIDATE 10 mg every 4 hrs (but only up to 2x day) When I was taking the 36 mg of methylphenidate 8 hour release my appetite increased to an all time high. METHYLPHENIDATE 10 mg I'm on has already decreased my craving for sugar and wanting to binge eat.”

Tessa March 18, 2020

“My pharmacy switched brands of methylphenidate without telling me. The first day after taking it, I knew this brand was useless! I couldn't focus and wanted to eat more than I usually eat. I gained 10 pounds before I made the switch to a different manufacturer.”

Sunny · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 9, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “It took a while to get used to but I weigh about 160 lb. and take 54mg daily now. Overall, it just makes it so much easier to be focussed and organized, with the meds I can actually keep routines. Biggest side effect for me is the appetite loss, I lost 30 lb within the 1st 6 months. Thankfully, that has lessened a lot and I’ve gained some of the weight back but definitely something to consider if you have concerns about being under weight or disordered eating. As well, if you try to have caffeine, nicotine, sativa, or any stimulants you’re going to feel like absolute garbage, so follow the doctors order and avoid them. Only other warning you might not find online is that the brand name Concerta is expensive and not always covered (in BC, Canada). It wasn’t covered by my university health plan but it’s covered by my work plan with blue cross. For 90 tablets of 54mg Concerta (brand name, my doctor told me not to take the generic) it costs 400$.”

Fanta · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

“I tried a lot of anti-depressant medicines. Lastly, my angel psychiatrist prescribed this medicine methylphendiate. I felt as if I was born again at age 41. Since I knew myself, until I got this medicine. I was not a happy and organized person, never wished to see the next day. Now, I am a normal human being. I am also angry that my parents never helped me with my ADHD since I was little.”

Old(ish) Fella March 1, 2020

Ritalin (methylphenidate): “I'm 56 year old male. 87kg. Recently diagnosed ADHD as Im easily distracted & can't concentrate easily. I'm in good health, and successful & don't get depressed. Unfortunately Ritalin has NO effect on me at all. I have no feeling of it coming on or wearing off. All I get is a dry mouth at higher doses. I began fast release 10mg @ 8am & 10mg @ 1pm. The upped to 20mg am & 20 mg pm. Then 30 & 30. Nothing. No affect or change in how I feel. Then tried Slow release SR 40 mg am & 40mg arvo. Still nothing. Then tried 20mg Fast with 40mg SR in morning. But was distracted on phone & mistakenly took same dose 15 min later. So 120mg in one hit. I expected to have heart racing & some sort of 'buzz', but NOTHING Very disappointing Would like to try Adderall or similar”

Cl February 29, 2020

“Getting off of methylphenidate sucks. I had terrible withdrawals and while I was on it I couldn’t eat and developed an eating disorder. Made me very depressed and made me not want to interact or do anything. I overall hated being on it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 23, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I was diagnosed with mixed type ADHD at 25, far later than most. I started at 18mg and have been slowly bumped up to 36mg. Overall, my working/short term memory, energy levels, and mood have improved moderately. Unfortunately, I somehow burn through the medication in less than 6 hours and crash halfway through work almost every day. This drug has helped a lot but it isn't perfect for my brain chemistry.”

John · Taken for less than 1 month February 20, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I am in my early thirties and very recently started drug trials for ADHD. After trying Vyvanse which didn't work out I moved to concerta. On the lowest dose I had concerns, as it seemed to make my ADHD symptoms worse. I became more irritable and more distracted. After a week I moved the dose up the next level and had a terrible day. Extremely irritable, so lethargic I could do almost nothing all day, difficult time sleeping... I had difficulty dealing with my children if they did the slightest thing wrong. Concerta is not for me, I will try something else.”

Joe · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “Does what it’s supposed to do, but makes me miserable while it’s at it.”

Maythe · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I used to take the 36 mg dose, but it didn’t really help my forgetfulness and sleepiness symptoms.”

Storm · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I was diagnosed a year ago after numerous diagnoses, with ADHD. I was put on Concerta 54 and I'm a different person. I'm happy, calm, still bit anxious but I'm better everyday. Fantastic medication”

Seabass February 11, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “My 9 year old son has been on 18 mg of it for a month now and it truly is a miracle! We literally noticed a difference in him the very first day. His appetite has actually increased! His sleep has not been affected..He actually goes to bed now the first time we tell him to. He will still express that he doesn't feel tired and that he doesn't want to go to bed but when we tell him that he needs to he just goes to his bed without the fighting or trying to do anything else to stop from going to bed. He is more loving and affectionate now whereas before he was always so defiant. He does cry a bit easier now but it's better than the anger he felt before. He's helpful and considerate and empathetic. We reluctantly gave him this drug and it has saved my marriage and our overall quality of life has improved drastically. He did a presentation in school and received an A! Just try it.... You will know right away if this works for you..hopefully you are one of the lucky ones.”

M. Y. February 6, 2020

Ritalin (methylphenidate): “I'm 24 y.o male that self diagnosed ADHD about 6 months ago. From as far back as I remember I was restless, inattentive, depressed and forgetful but I didn't know that what was wrong with me. I thought that everybody has a unique behaviour and mind and so this "unusual type" is mine and I should control it by myself! From childhood I was the kid who study hard but gained little, who is forgetful, who is weak in math! Who is lazy. Anyway, now I'm medical student and I found that I have ADD after a long story. I told this to my attending physician and he confirmed that I have ADD, then prescribed ritalin 10mg per day and increased that to the dose 10mg ×3 a day. The best word I can tell you about Ritalin for ADD patients is "Miracle". Now for the first time in my life I understand the meaning of being calm, being happy, being focused, being organized and many other good 'Being's'. It was a huge change in my life and I'm happy for that. The side effects for me was very mild and gone with the time and I want to continue it.”

C11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I've struggled with ADHD and depression for about half my life, I started this medication around 3 months ago. I take the 54 mg dose. I've tried probably every antidepressant there is, and quite a few for anxiety. But this I think personally Concerta has helped quite a bit in regards to both. Because of it I've been able to wean off my antidepressant and no longer have to take it. The appetite suppressant does help me out since I'm working on weight loss, but it can also be a struggle to eat at times or find a food that is appetizing in general because of it. And the medication can cause constipation and dry mouth, which is inconvenient. Overall, I think it's helped me a lot in focusing on course work and it's intended purpose.”

Roddy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 2, 2020

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate): “My 8yr old son was given this med Quillivant, the longer he took it the worse he became. He became very aggressive, paranoid, hallucinations, very hard to control. Had to be admitted to a Psychiatric Unit for 2 weeks, they were unable to get that med & he was put on another med. He became himself again. He's one that does not tolerate stimulate medicines at all, I insisted he be put on non stimulate & our problems began to change. Two years later he's doing much better !”

TomTucker · Taken for 10 years or more January 24, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I've been on this medication for about 14 YEARS now. And I love it but hate it. It's considered an abusable drug now so getting and filling this prescription is absolutely insane. I have to take a pee test to get the script 4 times a year, then a pre-approval from the doctor, THEN I can buy it for $30 instead of $300. I wish I was joking. As far as the drug itself it's great! High focus, low appetite, it's great. The only problem is it makes my hand spasm and sometimes it can mess with your head. But all meds have cons.”

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month January 23, 2020

Ritalin (methylphenidate): “I'm a 20-year-old woman, 179 cm and 61 kg, who just got diagnosed with ADD for the first time in my life, after living with it untreated for so many years. So, my doctor wanted to prescribe me with Ritalin, though in a small doses, so I didn't just go all in from the start. I started with 10mg, which didn't have an affect. Then I took 20mg, I felt a little more energized but nothing else. Then I tried 30mg today. I felt extremely fresh in my mind, instead of the weird slump I'm usually in. Very happy, which suggests that what I lacked before was dopamine. Still no difference with anything else, like my poor concentration and focus, but on the other side there is no side effects as of late. Other than the things, that I've already struggle with, like depression and anxiety. Not a bad experience thus far, but I'm still a little bit nervous, about how 40mg and 50mg will affect me.”

Kiki · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 23, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “Works well”

Ducky · Taken for less than 1 month January 12, 2020

“I've had ADHD my whole life but didn't get diagnosed until recently. I tried adderal first but struggled with irritability when it wore off and also with trying to maintain effectiveness without having to increase the dose. I would try to have days on and off, etc. I tried ritalin as an alternative to adderall. The ritalin gave me headaches, especially at the end of the day. The last day I took it, my headache was so bad I felt nauseous and was very light sensitive. Also, I as m pretty sure in increased my depression. I cried during the day and felt hopeless. I do see how an extended release formula could be a good thing. For me though, the side effects I experienced were more than I could handle.”

Biff · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

Concerta (methylphenidate): “I have been taking this for 4 months now. I rather be on Ritalin LA than this stuff. But money. Right now I can only afford this because I am getting financial aid through johnson and johnson. The plus side with this medication is that it works when I have plenty of sleep, and have some sort of workout schedule. But right now being in school, it barely gets me to do my homework. But once I am studying, I can focus. So it does help. But I have zero side affects. The reason I liked Ritalin LA is because I never felt hunger, and the focus was awesome. Concerta is very clean, I react perfectly with it, but we work with what we can.”

Hyperdad January 4, 2020

“This is not a miracle cure but it does help. Believe me, it helps! As a Christian I was reluctant to use this type of drug preferring natural treatments and old fashion ways but I trusted my doctors advice. My daughter does much better now that she is on medicine and is now able to pay attention and reach a higher potential. I am hoping she will grow out of the need for this. She does not like this medicine at all but it makes her a bit nicer and not as zombie like in school. She is also more motivated to do things other than watch tv.”