User Reviews for Methylphenidate

Also known as: Aptensio XR, Concerta, Cotempla XR-ODT, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Metadate ER, Methylin, Methylin ER, QuilliChew ER, Quillivant XR, Ritalin, Ritalin LA, Ritalin-SR

Methylphenidate Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Methylphenidate to treat ADHD

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "It's something that is useful. It helps me focus and gives me energy to help get my day started. The only thing that bugs me is a suppressed appetite and at times makes my depression worse until it wears off also makes my have to urinate more frequently"

Nicknameman (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2018

Methylin (methylphenidate): "F, 77 in 2018, quasi-retired nerd, ADD without hyperactivity. Last year, fed up with being so distractible, I got my GP to write me a script for generic methylphenidate. Walgreens was dispensing the round, very-pale-orange ones marked DAN 20 5884 (I'd name the manufacturer, but with all the takeovers, name changes, and selloffs I haven't a clue who that is. The pill bottle said Actavis). It's IR not ER, and at a 20mg@06.00, 10@noon, 10@18.00 regimen worked *wonderfully* for me on a number of levels including focus, T2 obesity reduction, available energy level, and even a good night's sleep. This year, I haven't been able to find a pharmacy that carries the 5884 pill, so I settled for Malinckrodt's Methylin. My perception is that it's not even close to being therapeutically equivalent. I perceive it as having an efficacy about 2/3 that of the 5884 one, which is a great disappointment. The difference is so great that I'll likely file a complaint with the FDA."

Nerd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "This drug has been nothing but a miracle for me. After years of suffering with concentration/attention problems and a string of failures this drug has allowed me to achieve what I want and excel in my academics and life. I take 20 - 30 mg/day 3 - 5 days a week with regular drug holidays. If you have ADHD and are suffering because of it with a history of failures in your life you won't regret getting treatment."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2018

"I’ve battled terrible anxiety and depression most of my life. I’ve also battled with severe ADD. I had tried adderall before Ritalin and adderall made me terribly sick and panicked. For months I was afraid to try another stimulant medication. My psychiatrist suggested I try Ritalin at a low dose to see if it helped. I finally agreed because I wondered if my ADD was causing most of my psychological issues. At first Ritalin was only a little helpful. I still had to get used to using a stimulant, but after a couple months when my body became accustomed to it, I found I needed my dose to be increased, and the higher it was increased the less I needed other antidepressants or anxiety medication like Xanax. I took Xanax for years and it never solved my psychological problems only bandaided them. Ritalin actually gave me control over my thoughts and emotions and took away all my fears. I need a fairly high dose of it (80mg per day) for it to work at its best but I no longer need Xanax."

Chris May 17, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "I think it's a very good medication and it can helps a lot! I have been taking this drug when I was 14-15 years old and at the beginning it works well but then because I took a high dosage of Ritalin (around 60-80 mg daily) I experienced a few side effects (just like increased heart rate, weight loss and insomnia! So I stoped taking this drug and after that I have been taking Strattera (atomoxetin) for a year but that was terrible. I had insomnia so bad I couldn't sleep for 36-60 hours maybe twice a week and besides that I usually slept 3-4 hours), I also had increase hearth rate (maybe 100-130 in the morning, increase blood pressure(100/190), headache and stomach problem. So I stoped taking this medication too. Now I am 18 years old and I started to take Ritalin but not every day only when I have to learn a lot and just 10mg twice a day and I think it works very well and it has no any side effects. So I thing its a very good and useful medications just the "normal" dosage is very important!"

Miklos25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate): "My 8 yr old son has been taking this medication for a week now and it’s only lasting six hours. He takes 2 pills of 17.3 mg every morning and it lasts until about 3 o’clock. My biggest complaint is that when you comes off of it he is incredibly hyperactive and impulsive. Much more so than if he didn’t take any medication at all. The effect of the medication when it is exiting his system is not smooth. He comes off the medication after six hours with a sudden burst of energy. Was hoping for a smooth transition when the medication wears off. Concerta gave him a much smoother transition exiting his body but didn’t last as long as the Cotempla."

Lauren M. May 9, 2018

"Adult female (43yo) ADD, inattentive type. Diagnosed recently after struggling all my life with textbook symptoms. Amazing results from methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg 2x/day. I focus better at work, get through (and create) to-do lists, don't get as easily distracted from conversations, meetings, etc. For example, when in conversation in a busy restaurant, I can filter out things in the room that are unimportant & focus on what my partner is saying."

bean (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 6, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "Side effect for women. I took this for 8 months and bled every day. I was in my mid 20’s and did not realize it was this pill. Even one pill of the lowest amount will cause me to spot. This is a rare condition of .07%. The bleeding was horrible and constant. I spent hundreds of dollars getting tested on my female body to see the cause. Once I realized it was the meds I stopped. Scariest time of my life!!! Be warned ladies. This could happen to you."

Kw (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2018

Quillivant XR (methylphenidate): "I have given this med to my son for ADD, but our experience is he is like a zombie. And yet his teacher says he does not focus. Well how can he if his state of mind is where? So I cut back the dosage to 4mg and then 3mg and then 2mg. But he still seems like he is out in left field somewhere and not focusing. Has anyone else had this problem."

Pat (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I grew up with severe panic attacks. When I was 19 up until the age of 27, I stayed in my room. I couldn't leave my house. I had/have severe anxiety and depression Years went by and I lost hope. I didn't have a job; I was a loser. I took a mindfulness class and after each mindfulness tape, I noticed I was in extreme pain; more so than the other people sitting around me. It was then that I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was prescribed adderall and Vyvanse for my adhd but they made me extremely tired. Currently, I am on cymbalta, concerta, and Remeron. With this combination, I began a full time job. I have been employed for 7 months and I would be lost without Concerta. If you're looking for a drug that is similar to Wellbutrin, Concerta is the answer. Do not give up hope. Never give up hope. Don't take 'no' for an answer and if a doctor is diagnosing you incorrectly, leave and find a different doctor. There is a right combination of medication out there for you. Never give up!"

29 female April 15, 2018

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate): "The day I took ritalin LA I could channel all I needed to do within a day. I felt extremely happy and open minded. Socially my anxiety was cured and my energy focused to what was most important to me. It is good to take it daily and withdrawing dosages for a while to achieve the same dopamine release/ combat tolerance."

Xavier (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 11, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "Ritalin works well for ADHD. It is not a long lasting medication. Most of the the time it’s given in tablet form and does only last about 3-4 hours. So you will need to take it a couple of times throughout the day. I have been on vayvanse and adderall as well. Adderall works best for me. Vayvanse also works well but it lasts for so long, 12 hours or more. I can still eat and have appetite on adderall and Ritalin but with vayvanse I could go all day without eating. Ritalin is a good medication when taken correctly that will help with adhd."

Huron92 April 11, 2018

Metadate CD (methylphenidate): "Hi my son has been taking Metadate since he was 6. He is 8 years old now a complete turnaround in school his grades went from E's to A's and B's straight-A sometimes. He eats very well he gained his weight we haven't lost any weight with this medicine. But I'm make him eat lunch whether it be a pack of peanut butter crackers. He's growing like a weed. The only side effect is he ill when it comes off of it."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate): "I switched to cotempla from Vyvanse due to tolerance issues, and I think the cotempla works much better for my ADD. It kicks in in about 20 minutes, the tablets taste fine, and it stays effective for about 9 hours after I take it. It also had less of the amphetamine side effects like jitters, anxiety, and elevated heart rate. My only complaint is that they only make 25.9mg tablets as the max dosage, so I have to take two a day, but in my opinion it is much more effective for ADD than Vyvanse and adderall."

Akdsj114 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I was recently switched from my Adderall XR 10mg to Concerta 18mg because my insurance didn't want to cover my Adderall until I tried Concerta. The transition has been terrible. I've only been on the medication for 5 days and it has been horrible. I was optimistic going in because I've never tried it before, but it has been a rough 5 days. On Concerta my restlessness is worse, I have no desire to eat because the thought of food disgusts me, I get headaches, I have zero motivation to do anything, and I feel extremely down/apathetic. I've heard this medication works for some people, but it was horrible for me. I'm so glad I can switch back to Adderall."

ADHDer (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I was on Vyvanse but since I was recently diagnosed with ADHD, I wanted to try other meds to see whats the most effective. I tried Concerta and it was awful. It didn't do anything for concentration, made me feel nauseous, stomach aches and some crazy anxiety. Went back on vyvanse! At least now I know I don't react well to Methylphenidate meds."

Dx March 28, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate): "I've been on concerta for ADHD for almost 2 months and feel better than in 25 years. I also suffered with depression and anxiety. My depression and anxiety are better, I feel alive and myself for first time in decades. I can get things done. I forgot to take citalapram 20mg/celexa last week and now haven't taken citalapram for 6 days and feel great. I am concerned as when I tried to stop citalapram in the past I felt crazy and could not do it and that was using step downs method - this is cold turkey. It seems somehow the concerta is offsetting weaning off symptoms so I hope this all lasts. It is a life saver. I was so tired of being depressed, overwhelmed, pretty lethargic, overweight. It is great to feel excited and not have food cravings."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "I was diagnosed with severe ADHD - inattentive type and Ritalin literally is the difference in me getting through my To Do list or just wondering what in the world I have been doing all day. Over the years I have run across multiple medical professionals who will not prescribe this mediation. Like an idiot I listened to them and tried other medications. ALL of these medications had worse side effects and did NOTHING to correct my ADHD. They tried all of the non stimulant medications and Bupropn HCL - none worked and several had VERY bad side effects. Medical professionals who refuse to listen to their patients should lose their license to practice. You are messing with people's lives here, people! The worse side effects I had with Ritalin was appetite suppression and mild anxiety specifically if I drank too much of coffee with the medication. This is over a period of 15 years on the medication."

Anna Mouse March 22, 2018

Ritalin LA (methylphenidate): "I like to take this medication because it gives me the energy to do what I have to. I am unable to walk without a walker. Doctors haven't found the cause. I have tried opiates and they only work for a short time. Now I found that for unknown reasons this medication makes me feel so much better. For whatever reasons it just works for me. I tried the dissolving pills and now I was able to get the Ritalin LA."

Nelly (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "30 year old male. Recently diagnosed with ADHD. Been taking 10mg x3 times a day. 8am (with breaky) 12pm (with lunch) 4pm (with snack) I realised after a week that I can NOT mix it with coffee, if I do, it makes me feel very anxious and "Jittery" however I don't find the side effects that bad at all without coffee. I do want to keep playing with the doses to tweak it but off to a good start. Glad I realised it was the coffee making me feel like rubbish before I gave up on the drug."

RP (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2018

Ritalin (methylphenidate): "Diagnosed at 33 when I was finally able to find the right psychiatrist, I was prescribed generic Ritalin and it quite Iiterally changed my life. It was a bit of a journey to find the right formulation and dose. I take this form of short acting Ritalin after the Ritalin LA wears off (usually 6-7 hours). Pros: Works quickly, cheap, well known and researched, relatively easy to obtain (not as much of a shortage as other more "fancy" formulations), and works for a large population of people with ADHD. Cons: Wears off quickly (sometimes 2 Hrs for me), feels like a bumpy ride of ups and downs, hard to remember to take on time. Drink lots of water, make sure you graze on high protein snacks to avoid getting hangry, take a shower and get up and do something. I get sucked into "the zone" if I take my meds and then come online... for example :) Good luck to you in finding your best self!"

Stewarln1 March 11, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate): "This med is the worst thing. I feel completely numb to everything. Only sometimes does it make my depression worse because I'm not able to express myself because of the numbness the medicine causes me. I hate I wish I could change meds but my mom and doctor seem to think this is good for me"

lacey (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2018

Cotempla XR-ODT (methylphenidate): "Used this medicine in replacement for quillivant XR when it was on back order. The pills don't dissolve as fast as I expected them to. They still dissolve pretty fast and taste good. Works good with concentration and doesn't suppress your appetite as much."

lauren (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

Concerta (methylphenidate): "It did help me to calm my brain, but it gave me a very fast heart rate, anxiety, and caused me to loose weight. My normal weight is about 140 and at my lowest on concerta I weighed 123. It did help with the ADD, but didn't work completely, so I stopped taking it because the side effects outweighed the help."

Viv (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

Metadate CD (methylphenidate): "Yes its the only thing that works for me, and now my insurance will not cover it. I've tried everything else for ADHD. I wish there was a way that the maker would help in lowering the price of this drug . I'm disabled from stage 4 cancer. I've been in remission for 12 yrs and 2 months 2 days. It helps me to complete all the everyday tasks. I'd really appreciate if their was some kind of help"

P. Greene (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2018