User Reviews for Methylphenidate to treat Depression

Also known as: Ritalin, Concerta, Ritalin LA, Quillivant XR, Jornay PM, Adhansia XR, Daytrana, Metadate CD, Aptensio XR, QuilliChew ER, Methylin, Cotempla XR-ODT Relexxii Methylin ER

Methylphenidate has an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 from a total of 52 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 90% of those users who reviewed Methylphenidate reported a positive effect, while 6% reported a negative effect.

Methylphenidate Rating Summary

8.8/10 average rating

Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Methylphenidate

jstanothareviewah · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2021

“After 13 failed meds, I wrote down on a sheet of paper my remaining choices on how I was going to deal with my depression. 1) Try a stimulant. 2) Try an MAOI. . Within an hour of trying methylphenidate, the lights came on. I do not need an MAOI, nor do I need to die to escape the nightmare I found myself living in anymore. I am putting my life together for the first time in close to a decade. Truly a miracle medication if it works with your chemistry and virtually NO side effects for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 11, 2020

“Please note that the reviews here will mostly be from people that have had good results from this alternative treatment. It doesn't work for most which is why it isn't FDA approved for depression. Buuuut, methylphenidate has made a difference for my depression. I do have suspected ADHD but it hasn't been diagnosed. I've been depressed for ages and I tried this. I have tried tons of antidepressants. I still on prozac and lamictal. Methylphenidate has made as big an impact as those two. It allows me to feel more connected, interested, calm and stable. I take 5mg three times a day but I may increase. It sometimes gives me nausea, headaches and fatigue but the pros outweigh the cons (I do take the cheapest generic) .of you've tried the more conventional treatments, gives this a go. And who knows, if it works for you, maybe you should get tested for adhd.”

Marky106 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 18, 2020

“Energised me to get on with daily life”

DJ · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 25, 2019

“I was diagnosed several years ago with treatment-resistant depression. I have been on all of the antidepre ssant and anti-anxiety medications available today, with not a single one of them helping my depression the least little bit. Finally my doctor agreed to prescribe this medication methylphenidate about a month ago. It has been an absolute godsend. I would go as far as to say it has probably saved my life, as I was suicidal nearly every day before I began taking it.”

Dilorenzo81 July 9, 2019

“I have had major depressive disorder for 30 years! I have tried every antidepressant probably ever manufactured. My psychiatrist tried a different approach and put me on methylphenidate for treatment resistant depression and many types of anxiety disorders. It's like I suddenly came to life! I now have color in my life. Please consider taking methylphenidate. It might just save your life like it has mine.”

Finally Happy March 21, 2008

Methylin ER (methylphenidate): “I've been on antidepressants from the old style to the newer SSRI's, SNRI's and others and nothing worked. My doctor suggested Methylin ER and my depression lifted in two days and I haven't had a relapse. It's been about a year now and I'm still as happy as can be. I don't sleep for 12 hours or more anymore either. I can wake fully rested with 8 hours sleep and do anything my heart desires. Methylin ER is truly amazing and I'll never go back to an antidepressant as long as this keeps working.”

Juju · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2019

“I have had such an AMAZING CHANGE since I restarted my Ritialn 20 mg. Before being back on Ritalin I had actually been battling SEVERE suicidal attempts since my son passed away. And when I'm on my medicine I'm also able to concentrate wonderfully. The most important thing is that my depression is now very minimal, sometimes almost non-existent, and also can speak and think clearly again. Thank God for this medication.”

ScruffDaPup · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 10, 2019

“This medication and the people who fought for me to get it saved my life. I have had treatment-resistant depression for my entire adult life and have had SSRI after SSRI thrown at me but they always made things worse. This, from the very first dose, made me feel like what normal people must feel like. It gives me a steady level of energy, the ability to see humans without running home to cry, and took away that urge to throw myself in front of a train. All with no side effects! I never feel high or jumpy, just "ok"--which is amazing for me. This needs to be approved by the FDA for depression--it could literally save lives. (Please note--the issues with generics are REAL for this drug. The yellow KVK brand in particular is like taking nothing. I have had a month of despair because of them!)”

Mack · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 8, 2019

“I have bipolar disorder and ADHD. I was put on this medication to treat the ADHD, but I’ve noticed a significant difference in my depressive episodes when I take Ritalin. Before, when I experienced my “lows,” I wouldn’t be able to get out of bed, I couldn’t concentrate, my mind was foggy, I’d binge eat, put things off, and was miserable 24/7. Ritalin helps me focus, complete tasks, start my day, eat properly, and minimizes the depressive emotions in general. As of five months on the medication, I’ve watched it successfully treat the ADHD and fight back depression symptoms. I just want to clarify it doesn’t get rid of depression, but it does make it manageable. I am under the care of a psychiatrist, and we are monitoring the effects of Ritalin on both my ADHD and mood swings.”

gossamerwings393 November 26, 2016

“I have suffered from major treatment-resistant depression for 32 years. I've tried so many medications along with polypharmacy for this, and almost nothing helps. The only antidepressants that are of any use are citalopram, buproprion, and Abilify. Even this combination doesn't always work--usually the citalopram stops working after a number of months, and I have to switch it out for sertraline. A few years ago, my psychiatrist tried adding 20 mg of methylphenidate twice a day. What a difference! I am now able to get out of bed, work, focus, smile, and have something that approximates a normal life. The only problem with this, is that I am now completely dependent on the methylphenidate in order to function.”

FET October 4, 2014

“I have suffered from severe depression most of my life (I am 58) 20 yrs ago I was put on Ritalin. It changed my outlook and life virtually overnight. In these 20 years I also took a variety of antidepressants. None very effective. Psychotherapy and Ritalin were together the cornerstone of my care and made a normal life possible.”

Mike · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 6, 2019

“Methylphenidate works well to help elevate my symptoms of depression. I’m calm and focused while on the medication. It has also helped my anxiety by eliminating racing thoughts and rumination. It allows me to cope with stress a lot better. I am able to focus on an issue, task or problem and deal with it appropriately. Whereas off the med I would get overwhelmed and start becoming stressed. I highly recommend it for someone with ADHD, anxiety and/or mild depression. I also take Benadryl at night to help me sleep. This combination has really helped me out. Please talk to your doctor before taking this medication if you have Major Depressive Disorder.”

Dog lady · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 11, 2013

“I have ADD and depression. After several changes in medications the Psychiatrist decided to try the Methylphenidate and I have not felt this good in years! I am organized, can concentrate and follow through on one thing at a time, have had no problem with my Blood Pressure at all. It is the same as it was before I started this medication, all mt Blood Work has been normal every time! I no longer have to take anything to help me sleep! I no longer have a billion things racing in my head, like you need to do this and that and never following through on anything! I used to do crafts, such as sew, crochet, work in the yard, etc. I can finally do that again! Before I was sleeping a lot in the afternoon so then I'd have hard time sleeping at night, but no more!”

meyotch · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2013

Methylin ER (methylphenidate): “I've been diagnosed with ADD at the age of 42 and have struggled with major depression since adolescence. I currently take 10mg Methylin ER and 150mg bupropion XL in the morning. In the evenings I take 50mg of trazadone for sleep. 3 weeks now and I have never felt better. The adjustment period was pretty mild. Just a bit 'jazzed' in the morning and very mild nausea in the evening. This gradually faded over a week. My appetite is returning, my diet improving and I am reconnecting socially. My sleep is good and I awaken fully alert with the sunrise. I can't believe how dramatic this change is. I am optimistic that I will be able to dig myself out of the hole I've been in and re-build a life.”

Beebop56 · Taken for 10 years or more March 26, 2016

“Doing fine after taking Ritalin since 1992. I no longer do soft drugs, nor drink alcohol, and quit smoking, all since 2003. Helps me focus better and helps me have a positive frame of mind. Before taking Ritalin, I couldn't focus long enough to get past the first page of a novel. Now, I read novels consistently. When I started taking it in 92, I lost my appetite and couldn't sleep much, but I eventually adjusted to it. I have tried Dexedrine, Concerta, fish oil, herbs, magnesium, etc., but nothing comes close to it. I invented a board game as well.”

Sadnowglad July 12, 2015

“DX was Major Depression at age 20 (now 40) I spent 20 years trying every med available. All of these drugs had side effects (lethargy, apathy, no sex drive, no pleasure, weight gain, sleep problems) none made a big improvement. Fast forward 20 years%u2026told a new doctor about main symptoms: oversleeping, hopelessness, social isolation, no interest in activities, emotional blunting, etc. He prescribed Ritalin I tried 10mg then went up to 20 mg and immediately noticed I was able to get out of bed early!!!! No lying around doing nothing, ruminating/wasting time all day. I became extremely motivated, Ritalin makes me feel just calm, motivated,positive and I sleep better in the evenings. I take 20mg Ritalin and 20mg Prozac.”

Myvidaloca · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2019

“Resistant to MANY depression meds, even tried TMS- nothing. I was alive but not living UNTIL Dr FINALLY gave me stimulants. Ritalin is the ONLY med that gives me the UP I need without being "antsy." I just have to make myself eat. Harder than you'd think. The crash is REAL, so be aware. If you think you have NO hope, give it a try. Works in a few days.”

ZiggyMac June 14, 2018

“Well being bipolar type 1, PTSD, from childhood trauma, social anxiety, and I've tried every antidepressant, but was put on latuda 80mg once daily. I Was put on vyvanse, concerta, strattera, and finally back on Ritalin IR 20mg a day. It helped but didn't get me thru the day, started taking 20mg 2x a day, noticed my depressive episodes went away faster, wouldn't sleep 20+ hours when I was down, I could actually get up and go to work. Kept me out of my own head and dark thoughts, it just helps get me out of my funk. No longer fall asleep on the long ride home from work, can be more social, no longer think people are out to cause me harm. Yeah I still get in my funks but the hopelessness doesn't last as long. Truly is a Godsend for me and I thank my wife (soon to be ex) for reintroducing this to me. I also thankful that I had the time I did with her! (Even though she's divorcing me) "Tis' better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all"”

rightbrain September 3, 2015

“It was twenty years ago that I read a newspaper article of scientific nature. The article described me - depressed and having to push myself to get up in the morning. My energy level was low and my motivation almost non-existent. I took the article to my G.P. and she agreed to give me Ritalin. When my doctor left her practice without providing a new G.P., I had a lot of difficulty getting a new doctor who would prescribe the Ritalin. The first doctor I tried would not prescribe it. After slipping backward to my old non-productive life I found a doctor willing give it to me on a limited basis. I had to take a test for ADD. Then he gave me 10mg a day. It didn't help me. Finally I found a doctor who gave me what I needed - 20mg twice a day.”

LabLover · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2019

“Bipolar 2 for 30 years with depressive phase being treatment resistant. Have tried many many anti-depressants and mood stabilizers, as well as ECT. My Psychiatrist finally prescribed Adderall 30mg to my current regime Zoloft 300, Latuda 40, Epival 1000, Lithium 900. I felt the effects of Adderall within a couple of hours and had the most productive and pleasant day in over a year. I didn't feel too hyped up, and I was able to sleep. ( I made sure I gave myself enough wind down time and self care.) It is an appetite suppressant for sure, but mostly just makes me take the time to make better food choices. Hope that helps, it is certainly helping me.”

Kay_22 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 13, 2016

“Prescribed for depression and possible cataplexy?/falling. Since taking this I feel better and normal. It's great and normal side effects. First few days I was a little jittery and shaky but that subsided. Helps me with fighting depression a lot. So glad something works since no antidepressant did.”

Maximus409 September 28, 2011

Ritalin (methylphenidate): “I was diagnosed post traumatic stress disorder from Iraq war and also which goes along with adult ADHD and depression. They say it has a lot to do with my mind, has so many thoughts of what happened, what is happening, etc. racing through it that I guess it basically just gets worn out like exercising but once they started Ritalin 20 mg three times a day it helped a lot. More focused, less worried and in time just felt more rested and calm. But did have to force to eat at first. Lost my appetite until I got used to it.”

D3n2n6m0c6v1 December 22, 2014

“This is the first time in over 18 years that I haven't had to change anti-depressants every 3 months, or end up nearly suicidal. Now my downs rare not NEARLY as far down and they only last a day or two now. This should be used for depression more often. I had to convince my dr that I was ADD to get it. But what it does for my depression is worth it. I know others who use it for the same.”

Cyclops · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2019

“methylphenidate didn't cure my depression; I'm still depressed. But it removes the impact of depression on my everyday life. I'm more confident, outgoing, and am able to get engaged in everyday activities. SSRIs have no positive effects for me. I think Ritalin is as good as it's going to get. It may help keep you engaged if you've got lots of responsibilities, allowing time to work through things without becoming unengaged in life.”

Johnnie2 August 3, 2014

“I have been on numerous antidepressants that seem to wear out over time. I last had this experience with paroxetine. My doctor suggested Ritalin as an aid to make the paroxetine work better. What a world of difference! There's not much information out there about this, and I am sure there must be downsides. This works for me like nothing else. I am very careful with it, but I feel there are more upsides than otherwise.”

RobeND June 2, 2015

“Heavy depression (black tar depression) for over two years. I have tried 7 or so anti depressants. Presently I am on a SNRI and a SSRI. I can not formulate goals and I am totally isolated. I took 5 mgs of Ritalin this morning (I am sensitive to these drugs) and I feel like formulating a goal. That is huge. Very encouraging reading about other people's experience with Ritalin and depression. I hope I have the same. Fingers crossed.”

Susi September 25, 2019

“I have treatment resistant depression on and off for past 6 years. I never had a history of depression until these episodes started at age 54. I have had 3 major episodes where I had to take a LOA from work for 4 months while the Psychiatrist tried every medication cocktail. Finally Abilify brought me back to life the first time. The next episode was Methylphenidate was ineffective but I don’t think I have it a chance. The third episode was 2 years ago and Methylphenidate gave me my joy and allowed me to engage in life again. I am worried about the long term effects of being on this drug as it is going on 3 years. It has become less effective with time. I can tell when it’s time to take my next immediate release dose.”

Andrew · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 21, 2019

“I was diagnosed with ADHD in my 30s as well as potential narcolepsy. I was prescribed methylphenidate extended release and it has helped me with more than ADHD. I have had anxiety and depression since my early teens. When I take methylphenidate I feel very calm. I has helped decrease anxiety and stress. I don’t feel overwhelmed and depressed. This is in addition go it helping my ADHD. Absolutely no crash on the extended release. I don’t even know I’m on it.. other than I’m more relaxed. I would definitely recommend some trying this medication for anxiety and depression. It has changed my life.”