User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Opiate Withdrawal 177 reviews 11 medications

8.8
Chronic Pain 96 reviews 112 medications

8.8
Pain 159 reviews 1106 medications

8.5
Summary of Methadone reviews 432 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Methadone

For Chronic Pain: "I have suffered the effects of MS for 9 years that causes constant head pain, back pain, nausea or vomiting, difficulties walking and decreased activity and depression due to my symptoms. My pain doctor put me on methadone 7 years ago and I felt the pain decrease for the first time in years. Now he has me on Burtran patches which has awful side effects and I want my life back. So I'm going back to get the methadone back. Make sure your doctor gives you the smallest dose to start then increase until it helps. If you get 10 mg right away it can be fatal! Hope this helps anyone out there."

MSpainplus March 27, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "Methadone can be very useful for some types of chronic pain. For those who need larger doses of narcotics, methadone does not cause tolerance like morphine or oxycodone so you do not have to keep raising the dose to keep your pain in control. It does take time to kick in so be patient. Oxys or MS can be given to help till Methadone kicks in. Any narcotic can have side effects like constipation. A good doc will help you PREVENT such problems. As for comments that kick backs and conspiring with drug companies, we are under intense monitoring as some people sell the drugs to others or overdose and die. We must see patients often to prevent problems like this. If not, we loose our license or get sued. It's called good medical care."

Dr Rick March 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I took Methadone for 2 years for back pain. I never use it for Herion addiction. After I stopped using it ( which was 3 years ago) I still can not be medicated with any of the other opiates, or any type of tranq, not even cold medicine All my DR could say was, I've got a lot of patients like you. What the heck does the mean, that I'm on my own? Next time I have surgery I guess I drink a fifth of whiskey and bite the bullet? Does anyone a medicine that can help reverse this,"

kdsss3 March 8, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "Extremely effective. But now a major inconvenience and expense as have to have a doctor visit monthly to obtain prescription"

Gamermama (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Pain: "I had a very severe electrical accident and got locked up to 480 for minutes from what I told. I don't remember much about it. about three years ago. I have had skin grafting to several parts of my body, surgery on both hips, it fried my nerves completely and have migraine or headaches everyday. I have tried all the the pain meds...I mean all. Eventually I was sent to a pain management clinic where my Dr wanted to immediately put me on methadone. It shocked me that he automatically went to methadone and I only thought that it was for the heroine withdrawal and I was against it 100%. We tried several meds before having to revisit going on methadone. Come to find out it total saved my life!! If your in chronic pain try it YOU WILL BE SURPRISED"

Browens80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Methadone save my life I keep money in my pocket and have not missed a day of work since on methadone"

Lenny5.0 February 15, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "It's a terrible drug. It has done so much damage to my body, physically, mentally, emotionally, it's disturbing. If anyone reads this, and is deciding whether or not to go onto Methadone, don't do it. You're better off doing heroin, Oxycontin, morphine, seriously! I am at 60mg now but was at 30mg 2 months ago and felt worse than I did going through heroin withdrawal. I'm well addicted to the methadone, but I'm trying so hard to get off it, but having mental health problems makes 1000000x worse. Do not get on methadone, suboxone or any opioid replacement drug they destroy you more than anything else does."

Anon31375 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I suffered chronic pain for years. Every opiate I took caused me to abuse them. Until I found methadone for my pain. I take 20-30 mg daily with meloxicam and eat very well and I am able to work, function and live life like a normal human being. I believe doctors don't like to write this medicine for pain because it is not as costly as the others and also they don't receive kickback from prescribing a 20 dollar a month medication. It costs 20 bucks for 120 pills and for perc 10s it cost 200- 300. Just sad how the government and some doctors will work."

Magdolania (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "It has worked amazingly for me, but if you have to go More than 48 hours without it then be ready to go through the 7th circle of hell cause it's 100 times worse than pill or heroin withdrawal"

RocketG January 31, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Never lost any teeth, been on methadone on and off since I was 20 am now 37. I was a IV drug user and had a problem smoking crack. I believe it is a myth that your teeth fall out. I have been clean now 6 years nothing helped me, but the methadone. The key to being clean is you just have to be sick and tired of running after I been homeless,they took my kids - I just got sick of it . I am currently been on the same dose for years , been clean of all drugs, and have my children back. Methadone also helps me with my pain I experience due to 2 back surgeries. It saved my life and my family!"

MaryT.1212 January 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Is there anyone out there that methadone has caused you to lose your teeth after taking it for a long time? "

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am a 39 year old female who has been taking 120 mg of methadone daily to help with opiate addiction. I was addicted to opiates for 8 years after having several different surgeries over a 5 year span. My addiction took over my life I was doing things I'd never otherwise have done to support my habit eventually losing custody of my son which was my breaking point. I found a local methadone clinic and it saved my life and I got custody of my son back within the first two months of starting methadone treatment. The downside is the 80 lbs I've gained and the loss of several teeth but honestly that's a small price to pay to be off the horrible rollercoaster ride that drug addiction becomes. I thank God every day for this second Chance at life."

LumbeeLissa (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I Am 59. @ 19 years ago; I began to experience abdominal pain almost daily. I managed to live and work through it. I am a house painter so I was cut out of a "tougher"mold. Those of you who've worked w/your hands; know. But the pain got worse. 3 years of constant;sometimes suicidal pain I was found to have a rare blood disease.Chronic intractable pain. After swimming in prescribed opiates for a few years;my tolerance was through the roof & the pain remained. I needed the meds just to function & I always ran out too soon. I had to get off that crap! It was a war; but I survived & so did the pain.Square1.... Even worse b/c now I can't get anyone to write mess 4 me! But I needed them; so I became a 50yr old criminal; homeless, jails.."

BB10/4 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 16, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Dolophine (methadone) for Pain: "This Medication gave me my life back , after being on most every type of other opioid medication and I mean everyONE. I have many minor/Major health problems related to chronic pain, neuropathy and arthritis, barely able to walk, within three months of intense Physical Therapy and 30mg Q12hrs (once morning , once before bed) , I have been able to work, walk with a limp but w/o a cane, no ups and downs like the Fentanyl Patches I had Rx'd for a year, Roxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone IR and ER, and many more opioids, that seemed to give the euphoria that of course most people would become either physicaly dependent or develop an addiction disorder which I suffered from both . After I spoke with my Dr. I was able to get on Methadone."

Life Saver, for Pain Condition (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "It's helped me from my dependence and it really works well to stave off withdrawal. The negatives outweigh the positives for me. This drug has caused me to gain a lot of weight mostly from fluid retention. It's very hard to come off you have to taper very slowly like a mg a week or you'll feel like crap. If you don't have insurance you have to pay $400 a month where I live this is going to a methadone clinic. This drug also cuts off your sex drive I used to be a very sexual person now I have little to no desire for sex anymore. If you're on a high dose on most days you'll feel out of it and very sleepy so it's important that you tell your doctor/nurse the truth about your dose you don't want to be on too high nor too low of a dose."

Christmith (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 5, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been on methadone wafers 230mgs for ten years it helps me keep a normal life of not doctor hopping and taking 30 plus 10mg hydrocodone a day yet the thought of coming off the high dose scares me to death and I am a strong person cancer survivor and brittal diabetic and with this economy the thought of job loss or having to come off the large dose stays with me daily god willing I can stay on it"

LJST December 2, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I was recently switched from 50 mcg of the Fentanyl patch ( changed every 72 hours) to Methadone 10mg. tablets 3times daily for chronic pain. I was allowed to keep my Percocet, 10/325 up to 5 a day, for breakthrough. I did not want to switch off the Fentanyl patches, but I was told that even if it worked and provided no side effects the CDC said that I don't have cancer. So I could take 50 migrans of Fentanyl with no break through meds or I could switch to Methadone. I have tried over 100 medications of all kinds and Fentanyl was the first to allow a life worth living. So far the Methadone has been amazing! The downsides are; extreme constipation, some wheezing, and some Thanksgiving weight. I follow up in 2 days. Keep your fingers crossed"

Angelier November 30, 2016

43 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Chronic Pain: "I have been on 50mg Methadone oral liquid for 4 years and it does nothing at all for pain... I was on Morphine sulfate 10mg for 3 years and was taking 30mg a day after 2 years.. My doctor died in a plane and I was taken off Morphine and suffered the worse 8 days of my life. No one can explain just how bad withdrawals can be unless you have been through them. Horrible.. I was placed on Methadone because I was coming off Morphine. This medication does nothing for pain I have lost testosterone I cant work I have to go to a drug store every day to dose. I have put on weight I feel like crap lazy and tired. I have come down to 35mg but the thought of the withdrawals worries you. Its a long sickness to get off this rubbish. Hate it bad"

peterredd (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 21, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been in and out of methadone treatment for the past 4 years but I can say it does work if you taper slowly and try not to go to high in dose. I have successfully taper from 80 mgs down to 2 mgs and was able to stop withdrawal free so tapering does work. The important thing is to not start using again when u get to lower doses because u will get high again and you will relapse at high doses methadone blocks other opiates so you wony get high and there is no point but as you get lower you will be able to get high so just don't use and you will be withdrawal free ."

Jtaylor1234 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Ive been drug sick since last Wednesday. The hospital did nothing for me and scoffed at me. The ER.doctor.was.such a jerk.i turned.down his offer of a.few Lorton. I quit this cold turkey through a fault of my own. I forgot to get an appointment and the pain management clinic doesnt even care. I spent an hour trying to do their piss test and the desk is 1 foot from the door. Nice attendants at the desk and a witch of an office manager. But there is one worse withdrawal cymbalta which I quit cold turkey and the only thing that saved me was dosesof Gaba suppliment."

Brett whatever November 5, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I rate it as a 10 because it saved me from certain death. But methadone is a double edged sword...and a very sharp one to try to balance on. I'd missed the end of my teens and all my 20's and 3/4's of my 30's using and jailing it was find an answer or die. I found methadone and never looked back. I stopped using heroin and I never...and I do mean never used again. I have been on a clinic since 1994. I've always had to foot my own bill, never has the state I live in helped me nor has a single insurance company. (even after parity and obamacare) Got to tell you paying for a clinic and full health coverage just about ruined me, now, rather than assist me with my medicine they'd rather provide me with free medical coverage rather than help.."

Fleet420 (taken for 10 years or more) October 26, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "If you're honest with yourself and don't go past 100mg and dont stay on for more than 5 years it can be a good idea it saved my life"

Never-ending October 19, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Ive been on Methadone for over ten years and currently,I am trying to get off of this drug. Ive been decreasing my does 2 mgs per month for over a year. I am at 3 mgs and really starting to feel the withdraw.I don't plan to get my next 30 doses.because its almost rediculous how little it does for me. I have 3 does doses of 3 mg and Im terrified. Can anyone give me some truthful encouragement?....."

Swtmiller (taken for 10 years or more) October 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "All right people, let's get a few items out of the way to begin. NO, methadone does not "rot your bones" or your teeth. Not taking care of your teeth and being nutrient deficient WILL rot your bones and teeth. Brush your teeth 2x or 3x a day, floss, use mouthwash and take bone health supporting vitamins and nutrients and that will help keep your skeletal system in good nick. YES, methadone has an unusually long withdrawal period. why? because it's half-life is very long when compared to other opiates; up to 60 hours versus some opiates with half-lifes of 6 to 8 hours. of course the withdrawal period is going to be more pronounced and prolonged - it's basic chemistry and biology here, people. methadone, put simply, WORKS."

MethaDoneRightAndItWorks (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am currently about 6 months into my Methadone treatment, before methadone I was using heroin at an extreme amount. Now I am on 165ML of methadone a day from the clinic up the road. It has saved my life, I know that there are side effects just like that come with all medications. But where I am right now in my life I would not be alive if it were not for methadone and the treatment that I received from the people around here at the clinic. I recommend methadone for anyone out there struggling with opiate dependence and wanting to turn their life around for the better. It is true just like they say when I was using dope, the dope was in the drivers seat, now that I am on methadone, I am back in the drivers seat!"

Nate5040 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 9, 2016