User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Opiate Withdrawal 158 reviews 11 medications

8.9
Chronic Pain 88 reviews 111 medications

8.8
Pain 155 reviews 1090 medications

8.5
Summary of Methadone reviews 401 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Methadone

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am on 150 mg of liquid methadone daily. And it has saved my life. Many say it's trading one drug for another but that's BS. If your an addict and are seeking MAT help. Methadone works!!!!"

Nate S (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 14, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "Very helpful at low dose"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) August 10, 2016

For Pain: "Been a methadone nurse for 10+ years and have seen the good and bad. The good is it has helped a number of people with pain. And those who use it for pain tend to use it like their other prescribed meds. The bad comes mostly from those who use it for substance abuse treatment. Methadone is NOT a treatment of substance abuse, but a tool to aid in the treatment of substance abuse. It does not cure withdrawal, it stops withdrawal symptoms when at a therapeutic level. You will experience withdrawal symptoms when methadone is tapered or discontinued. Those using methadone for substance abuse tend to treat methadone in similar ways as a street drug. I have seen people lick the inside and outside of cup when dosing. And camp out in front of clinic"

Meth Nurse July 31, 2016

For Pain: "I was very skeptical when my lifelong dr retired, and my new doctor wanted to switch me from MS Contin to Methadone, for my LA pain med. I had never heard anything either way about methadone as far as pain, it is just associated with opiate detox, and replacement therapy, and I did not like the thought of being prescribed it. To my great surprise, the 10mg four times a day, worked miracles in my life, with very little, to no noticeable side effects. Really helped the pain, didn't make me feel doped up or itchy. He's since sent me to a pain specialist, I'm now on the "high powered" stuff e.g. Opana ER, doesn't really help much. On 40mgs TID. Don't know what the hype is over the Opana, doesn't work that great for me, and for relieving my pain"

Johnny C (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2016

For Pain: "I am now 66 and have used Methadone for 15 years and have been able to go down on the dosage from 30mg. mg. day to 5 or 10mg. Per day. If not abused it to me is a wonderful pain management for severe chronic pain"

Carolina Green eyes July 30, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Withdrawal from methadone will take AT LEAST a month. It is absolutely the WORST withdrawal EVER!!! It served a purpose be enabling me to get away from the daily search for pills and not getting sick/ I got my life back together. However, be advised the coming off the methadone is going to make you so very sick! Taper SLOWLY!! It's like being punished for a solid month. There are other options available and if I were you I would explore them. Do your research!"

sunshine714 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I can't give methadone a horrible review as it does have its place. When your bad off it can get your life back in order. I've been on and off twice. Each time over 2 years on @ around 130mg usually. While on it you can beat drug adiction, so it does save lives, BUT it comes at a cost. Its much more addictive than herion and I did a bundle per shot just not to feel sick (didn't get high) while off methadone in my past. Hard to believe but it's true. Getting off of it is much harder. Regular opiate withdraw lasts maybe 4 to 5 days. Methadone withdrawal can take weeks to feel normal again making most return to the clinic or start to use again to kill the sickness. Even getting off slowly doesn't make it easy."

LongTermExperience (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "This is a great medication for chronic pain, but please give it time to work. The first couple of weeks it gave me insane headaches and mild nausea, forcing my pain mgmt doctor to give me Fioricet for the headaches. However after about a full month on methadone the headaches subsided with using the Fioricet and the pain relief is amazing. I was using OxyContin 30mg twice a day and Oxycodone IR 20mg three times a day as needed for breakthrough pain. When I began seeing my new pain doctor (insurance purposes) she really pushed the methadone on me hard so I gave in. Huge difference!!! She wrote me Methadone10mg every 6 hrs as needed and it lasts longer than the Oxy which only lasted 3-4 hrs at most, but be careful the methadone is WAY stronger"

The_Shade_Room (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 25, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "Methadone worked very well for my chronic pain especially the strange gnawing pain I had ALL OVER. I was on 30 mg of ocycodone for 5 years (DDD L5-S1 fibro, neuropathy, neck fusion) but I couldn't come to terms with the stigma and knew something was seriously wrong with my body. I ended up doing my own research and found out I was suffering from gout throughout my body. My PM Dr worked with me to get me off Methadone by prescribing me didulud ER..even with that I had hellish withdrawal symptoms! Took me a month and a half and was only on it for 2 and half months. Great med for pain though. Just make sure you're in it for long haul. Never felt those withdrawals and I weaned off oxy 30s with less pain."

51 and no fun (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I have been on 60 mil for 15 years. I live alone and have Fibromyalgia as well as spine and joint problems. The government just stepped in last month and went to taking Ultram and hydrocodone. I cant move my back. I cant walk more then to my car and back, 20 feet. I weigh 154 and eat organic and very careful with all medications. I will be seeing a new Dr next month and hope to go right back to where I was. It is truly a very good pain medicine to control pain all day and all night."

madness2 (taken for 10 years or more) July 11, 2016

For Pain: "I have been on methadone for the last 5 years now and actually have a life beyond the usual opiate daze!I have a pretty high dose of 190 ml per day but have had a few times when I had blood clots that I needed something added to it for a few weeks, usually oxycodone, this helps but the beauty of it is I don't get the typical "high" one would get from it because of the methadone, but I do get the benefit of the pain management from it!Methadone saved my marriage and my life! I encourage anyone who has been on opioids and is having difficulty functioning their day to day life to give it a try.I know only certain Dr are aloud to prescribe this medication but there are always methadone clinics they're very knowledgeable about this! Good luck!"

Dezil36 July 3, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Methadone is most likely one of the longest lasting opiates. For this reason it builds in your system and is actually more addicting both physically and mentally than Heroin or any other known opiate. It can take months to get to your desired dose, but it also takes months to get off of, and the biggest challenge is going from 5mg to nothing. It also rots your teeth!"

Foxtrotz (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 24, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "Over half of my life has been spent in chronic pain. I had 2disks fused and a pinched nerve fixed 20yrs ago. I've had a pain pump and been put on everything you can imagine. I can promise you guys something,nothing is good as methadone to help pain,imo. I've been on it for 16yrs now.it is hard to get used to tho.you will get very drowsy in the beginning. I can tell you it's hard to perform a number 2 in the bathroom also. I would recommend stool softeners if you take methadone for that. I got caught in btwn dr.s once and the withdrawal is hellish.no joking on that. Ive seen heroin addicts say it was worse. I thank God and my dr. I get to take my lyrica and methadone for my pain."

T.n.t. (taken for 10 years or more) June 9, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I decided to go into pain management because my pain was to the point that I couldn't even go to the grocery store anymore. Walking was too painful. After about 3 years of oxycontin, my doctor put me on methadone. The initial reason was because of the high cost of oxycontin. Methadone was MUCH cheaper and as I soon found out, MUCH better. I began to feel normal again. No more highs and lows. It is very difficult to get off of. Because of government regulation changes, I had to experience that. I'm now on 240 mg morphine a day plus oxycodone. It doesn't compare to methadone. If the government had to live with the pain alot of is are in, they would gladly approve methadone and encourage doctors to do what they went to medical school for."

va mom 01 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 15, 2016

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I'm a mother of a patient and I'm researching the effects of the use of the drug methadone as my daughter is getting the highest dosage allowed at the clinic on upscale area of Southwest Ohio. I drive a semi truck to support us. This drug seems to be making our relationship worse than I thought would be possible. I'm seeing an overall moody irritable overreacting person who doesn't want to make time for me when I get back from driving over the road for weeks at a time. My job affords us the most expensive place we have ever lived. A nice car and plenty of food for both of us. I pray my daughter can be set free from the cycles of use and abuse of anything, but I don't think this medicine is the answer. Severe constipation throws a lot of toxins into the body."

Mom in Prayer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "Due to a broken back & spinal fusion at age 14, I've developed arthritis, deg. disc disease & spinal stenosis. The intense pain started in my 20's & I was on all sorts of narcotics. I became addicted physically & mentally and eventually the Dr. stopped giving me Meds, which brought me to seeking out street drugs. After many detoxes & going home in terrible, debilitating pain, I got onto Methadone. This med has helped tremendously with my pain so I could actually function & work, as well as refrain from any other narcotics. My back has worsened over the years & I now have Lupus as well. I take 35mg. morning & night, which has been giving me lasting pain relief all these years & I haven't had to increase my dose."

Petunia24 May 13, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "After spending 6 yrs in the army and a misdiagnosis of crohns disease I had reached the point of ready to quit. I thought that I had permanently ruined my body and that something was wrong with me and I had to have pain medication just to live. I was eventually diagnosed with fibro, degenerative joint disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, PTSD and a couple other things. I had enough and went to the local methadone clinic and told this long story about what a junkie I was and how I couldn't go two hrs without doing drugs! They fell for it and started dosing me and I haven't felt this great in years!!! I have my life back! I'm currently off all medications, only taking methadone vitamin D and b12 and my mental health is better as well!"

Asa's mommie (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "In 93, I found a wonderful doctor who prescribed me Methadone for my chronic pain. It really saved my life, I was a good Mom, worked full time and enjoyed activities. After 10yrs my doc retired from his family practice but continued his other practice- Methadone Clinic for addicts. Doc explained that because of our wonderful government, it was much more profitable to continue his Methadone Clinic. I am now back on narcotics rollercoaster and it's killing me, Health: gastric bypass, fibromyalgia, PTSS, Spondelylothis, DDD, spinal stenosis, IBS, MDD, herniated discs etc. Doc explained that because it builds up in system it then gives a steady pain relief. Methadone is cheap, our government makes a lot of money off of oxy and all the others"

DawnMurphyJak May 8, 2016

Dolophine (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "From 1989-1984 was A very heavy herion addict. I got into a methadone program. This is important I was started on 80mg went up 150mg. For a few months then ended up in mental health hospital was hallucinating not sleeping for two weeks. The private clinic I was going had a dispensing nurse stealing my dose. The police came to take me home I was so parinoid I was checked for coke and meth and methadone. NOTHING in my system. Not even methadone. My current Doctor saved my life. Came to mental Heath started me on 80mgs. Was out after a week. 20 years it has saved my life. I'm 60 in May 2016 have a 20 year old daughter she NO withdrawal at birth. Normal for over 20 years."

Linmari (taken for 10 years or more) April 25, 2016

For Pain: "I've been on and off methadone for years for what started as pain from 4 ruptured vertebrae..and my addiction to opioids after that..I'm only going to share briefly about getting off methadone or reducing your dosage.I saw a comment by someone here on 100 mls and looking to cut it in half so they can take other medication that isn't blocked by the methadone. Go slowly if you don't want to go into severe withdrawal. Taper from 100 by 10 mls every week.don't go faster than that.feel free to stay longer than weekly here and there if you start feeling bad.or takes about a week to fully start feeling bad from the time you reduced.once you hit around 30 mls you've reached the typical therapeutic dose and MUST GO SLOWER BEYOND THERE."

Laravonrinpoche April 9, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 20, I stopped school and went through many years of chemotherapy. For bone and nerve pain I found methadone to be the best drug for daily use. It does help particularly with nerve pain. However since its long half life and milder symptoms compared to other opiates it was easy for me to develop the drug into a daily routine. 8 years later I am still taking methadone 3x a day everyday... Not so much for pain but because of the horrible withdrawals (which can last for months) i experience if I miss a dose. I am now trapped in an addiction I never wanted, before considering methadone for long term use please research methadone addiction. Its considered by many to be one of the hardest drugs to kick."

Anonymous April 4, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "10 years ago I went into septic shock after a minor procedure on my knee. The infection was so bad and traveled up and down my leg that a very extensive debridement was done. My leg was saved, however, I was left with horrible neurological pain, bone pain and muscle pain. After 2 years of percocet (3 -10 mg/day) which did nothing except to leave me on my bed watching the clock till I could take the next one. Finally my Dr. Convinced me to give long lasting methadone a chance. It saved my life. I was on 60-70 mg a day. Over the past 8 years I have titrated back to 10 mg per day which has been way too much. I need 20-30 mg a day to be at a comfortable level of pain. For me methadone is the best pain relief without out feeling drugged at all."

Aylascott April 2, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "After getting shot in my lower back, my back got torn apart. It took 7 surgeries, and the pain is unexplainable. It's not 10/10 pain, It's more like 20/10 pain. My PM doctor put me on Methadone 10mg 4x daily, and Oxycodone 30mg 6x daily. Those are 2 of the strongest Pain meds out there. Now my pain level is about a 5/10. Big improvement. The Methadone helps A LOT. I was first put on Fentanyl 50mcg patch along with the Oxy, my pain then was 8/10.. still too much pain. After getting switched to Methadone with the Oxy.. huge difference. Methadone is the best Painkiller I've ever tried. TY Methadone."

Mdone10sOxy30s (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2016

For Chronic Pain: "I have not been on Methadone for a great amount of time but i have been on it long enough to find that the pain free result IS NOT worth the life ruining effects its having on me. I have NO life because of this drug. It makes me so tired, lethargic and just useless!! I can't work anymore, I can't maintain most social relationships anymore, and I am so isolated and lonely now which is having serious deteriorating effects on my mental health condition!!! I have never hated another drug more than this one. I know that for some ppl... it has changed their lives for the better and I'm really happy for these ppl!! I just think that people need to know that there is a real nasty side to methadone too for some of us. Cheers."

cjhawkes03 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2016

For Pain: "I have chronic pancreatitis, gastroparesis, fibromyalgia, degenerative disc disease since 2007 I have been on everything u can imagine. I have had a pain pump via morphine and buvipicane my quality of life was horrible wanted to die everyday. My family Dr recently switched me to methadone and lyrica plus my pain pump I finally have my life back!! To anyone out there in a living hell, it's sure worth a try!!!"

kim 1976 March 24, 2016