User Reviews for Methadone

Chronic Pain 8.6
Summary of Methadone reviews 8.7 532 reviews

Reviews for Methadone

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 1, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I have experienced chronic pain issues for 18 years now. I was orginally started on a sustained release morphine product and stayed on it for approximately 7-8 years. I was then started on methadone. I cannot remember the dose I was converted to but I was eventually taking 40 mg four times a day. After a few years, I was tapered down to eventually methadone 30 mg three times a day, where I remain to this day. I have found it more effective than either morphine or fentanyl patches. It is particularly effective for the radiculopathy that I have down the backs of each leg. Unlike morphine, there seems to be much less nausea and vomiting, constipation, and urinary retention. I would also like add that I have not felt an increase in my pain that usually occurred when my next dose of MS Contin was due.”

Sam May 25, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “My GP put me on HydroMorphone and it changed my life, pain tolerance went up etc. After 1/5yr she sent me to a pain clinic. There docs bridged the HM with the MethaDose (MD) by increasing the MD and decreasing the HM slowly. We went up to 100mg MD and it didn't worked. He lowered it to 10m and still not worked. Somehow, both decided to keep it on 35mg twice (75mg total)a day. Feel a bit better, but after like a month of taking it and so on, I've started having vision problem, tiredness, sleep days/nights, body flashes, sweat all the times, lack of energy, low mood, depressed, loss of appetite, gain wight somehow, NO MORE SEX, loss of memories and hard to focus. So, I asked the pain clinic to change the MD for a better solution and now it's been a month I'm on Suboxone. Uh, you don't know whether it is how useless the Suboxone is or how much withdraw I am having. Plus having a severe headache and I don't have tolerance anymore for my back pain, loose my patient too fast, swearing and a lot more.”

stupid May 9, 2020

Methadose (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: “I was on methadone for 2 years after a 10 year addiction with heroin. I was up to 130mg I went down 2mg every 4 days it took almost a year but I am off of it now. However I do take xanax when I get "anxious" I think most of the desire is mental at this point not physical . But my counsellor tried everything to keep me on it even though I was doing fine. They didn't believe me I was observed every week with my urine test. I was never praised for my success only given that well I hope you know what your doing were here for you when you stuff up . That hurt I was so proud of my success but all I got from my counsellors is well be here when you mess up - that is no confidence at all. So I believe its just a money maker. They told me I would be back on dope well its been 2 years clean so I won”

Anonymous May 1, 2020

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I love methadone. Great medication for pain and for addiction treatment”

Anonymous April 19, 2020

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Chronic Pain: “I was born with marfan syndrome which is very rare and affects bones joints have scoliosis a hospital in Lexington ky advised I get a metal rod put in my back to keep mg spine from worsening as I got older this was at 13 yr old, my spine was almost 40 degrees curvature. Pain never stopped and as I got older not only my back but knees feet ankles constant pain it just got worse I have used every pain medication made but methadone 10 to 1 is the best pain medicine out there it literally has helped me so so much”

EazieRecovery March 1, 2020

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I tried Suboxone (buprenorphine/naloxone) for an addiction/dependency to opiates & fentanyl. It unfortunately only lasted a month because I reached the highest dose of 24mg and it didn’t get rid of my cravings. After telling my clinic doctor that I relapsed despite trying so hard not to while taking the suboxone. I was put on 30mg of methadone and have since increased 50mg = 80mg/day. It got rid of my cravings, anxiety, and helped my depression. This drug has helped me so much in my road to getting off illicit drugs including opiates, benzodiazepines, and prescription amphetamines. (Recovery) There are cons/negatives to this drug that I do have to deal with everyday. I have loads of sweat coming off me with only a 15 minute walk with my dogs, I feel sleepy after several hours after taking my dose (Also annoyed having to show up to the clinic everyday to take it), and my dose sometimes doesn’t last the entire 24hrs like the doctor said it would.”

Felicia · Taken for 10 years or more February 15, 2020

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I was on 140 mg of methodone since 2003 the minute I started it kept me away from heroin, until now 2020 I’m on 2 mg and detoxing as we speak. I feel cold, back hurts and legs hurt and feel weak does anyone know how long it will take to feel normal? I’m doing it alone in my home and I’m determined to succeed nothing is stoping me”

Anthony · Taken for less than 1 month February 13, 2020

For Opiate Withdrawal: “When I wanted to quit opiates I thought suboxone was my only choice. I was on Suboxone for over 4 years after a 3 year rapid addiction to opiates. I thought suboxone was all great cause I didn't have to use to feel ok. But little did I know basically the only time I was some what happy is when I relapsed and used. Suboxone drains your mind, yes it is an opiate blocker but I swear on every thing it BLOCKS A LOT more than just opiates, it blocked my happiness and my emotions. Relapsed numerous times, Caused me to have horrible depression and anxiety. Last month I was on 24 mg of suboxone (highest I ever been) I was done, so I made the switch to methadone. I'm only on 45 mg at the moment but I already feel WAY better, best decision I have ever made. I wish I knew about this 4 years ago. My new life and journey begins!”

Mike January 17, 2020

For Opiate Withdrawal: “Was on heroin on and off for 47 yrs, methadone for a total of , 5 yrs, 9 yrs, 13, yrs it is possible to get off , it depends on your determination, and meetings I go to, I have turned my life completely around. May 17 2018, first time in my life I've been clean off everything, it feels great, I'm 66 yrs old and healthier now than I've ever been, so anyone struggling with addiction, keep trying, it is possible, I'm living proof”

Ted · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 15, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I agree with all of the positive methadone reviews. I suffer from chronic pain due to injuries suffered during surgery. First I took oxycodone, then fentanyl. Then my neighbor told me about methadone. I got my life back. I take 25 mg/day. Sometimes I feel drowsy. Only downside — I went to pain clinic where they tried to take it away. I found I was dependent — had to go back. Much better than withdrawal effects produced by other pain meds.”

Ignored · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 15, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I spent over a year begging doctor after doctor for help with my abdominal pain and was dismissed by all of them. I was told that I was in perfect health 2 weeks before I was rushed to the ER for emergency surgery. After 70% of my stomach was removed, the recovery/nursing home I was sent to, ignored the amount of pain I was in, and kept refusing to give what little medication I was supposed to be on, to me when I asked, even though they were due. I spent the next 6 months begging for help with the constant pain I was still in, until I found the best Pain Management doctor. He wanted to put me on methadone, and although I was very skeptical, because I thought it was just a drug given to drug addicts, I listened and agreed to try it out. I'm very elated that I did because I finally found some relief from the pain.”

Dee · Taken for 10 years or more January 7, 2020

For Chronic Pain: “I was on methadone for 13 years for herniated discs and DDD. I took a low dose of 5mg 2 times daily and it made my life possible. Now it is impossible to get a prescription because Drs. In WA State think the medicine is dangerous. I am in so much pain and cannot get any help The new guidelines and DEA oversight makes it impossible to get any help.”

Not me · Taken for 10 years or more January 1, 2020

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I have been on methadone for 14 years. The reason for me ending up on it was a lot of bouncing back and forth I have chronic pain in the low back I was hit by a forklift that ruptured 3 of my discs and tore a hole in my s1 so I started on Percocet moved to oxycodone ( Percocet without acetaminophen ) I slowly started to misuse them since they didn’t work right after a while then I was put on fentanyl patches. When my employer found out I was on fentanyl they said I wasn’t suitable for safety oriented work so I had to them which made me feel like I was withdrawing and of course like so many others I turned to heroin shooting up 5-10 times a day which got me arrested that’s when I went to treatment. This medication methadone works. I go down 1mg a week I’m now at 26mg and dropping I think there’s a point where if you use it, work the program and always remember your an addict. You need to cut people that are toxic out of your life. PS I haven’t used dope in 6 years. Trust until your clean and using only methadone it won’t work good luck to everyone”

Jessica December 13, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I began being prescribed Percs. I was on 15mg 3xdaily. Then that Doctors office closed and I ended up buying heroin off the street. My husband also got addicted. We were broke and going downhill fast. One day as I was napping my husband came home from work with heroin. When I woke I found him dead on my bedrooms floor. I called for help but it was too late. This made me determined to get clean. I started methadone maintenance for the 3rd time. This time was different. I was on 180mg (high dose). I felt great and life was normal. I stayed on this does for 3 years. After I felt stable I began to tapper down 3 mg weekly. 3 months into this taper I got pregnant. I stopped my wean and stayed at that dose and had a healthy baby after his birth I continued. Some weeks I went down 2mg and others 4mg. It was a long process but it worked. Methadone saved my life. I'm clean, happy and healthy. Take your time, your life is worth it.”

Opioid addict · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 6, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “This medication helps the cravings, and many other symptoms and may as well be America's answer to the opioid problem, however the program is huge a disaster. You can follow all the rules, have negative urines and do everything you're supposed to and they still don't give you bottles, they don't sign off on your daily dose on time. I lost my job, and a lot of other things trying to follow their program rules. It's impossible to function as a normal citizen when you're being told that you can't even take your daily dose of 2 years because the Dr didn't put the order in correctly. Over and over again this type of thing happens. I've seen a lot of people leave the program in tears every week because not only are the requirements ridiculous but when you do follow the requirements and jump thru all their hoops it's never enough for them. It's about money not helping the people to live normally at all.”

Brian Smith · Taken for 10 years or more November 13, 2019

Methadose (methadone) for Pain: “I was referred to the methadone clinic 4 weeks after a brutal surgery because my attending doctor refused to give me a refill of percocet 10 mg. Instead he sent me there while my face, head and jaw was bolted together and wired shut for pain management, what I did not know was that I was walking into a death trap. They started me out on 40 mg. Which put me on a dose of pain medication higher than all pain medication and stronger than heroin and the worst part is you can't take it as needed you have to take it all at once so your body has no choice but to get used that dose and have to go up and now 12 years later and I still can't get off this drug. It is my worst nightmare and all the people at those clinics do is want you to go up and up it's the government supplying people with an addiction that you can't get rid of and they are making billions at other people's miseries and laughing to the bank.”

Lisa · Taken for 10 years or more October 26, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “In 1995 I was a hardcore heroin addict. I decided to get on Methadone. I never used pills or cocaine. Methadone saved my life. I have been clean now for about 17 years. I am still on the Methadone but I have accepted the fact that I may be on for the rest of my life. Methadone has afforded me the opportunity to have 16 years on my job, buying my home and have had a pretty decent life. I get 28 take homes and I can actually live my life. I thank GOD ”

Young Hispanic · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 26, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “The 1st time I got on methadone was because I failed at getting sober in withdraw clinics more than 5 to 6 times so someone told me about methadone I tried it and was successfully sober for a year and then tried to withdraw and was not successful wind down too fast so went back. Now I have been on methadone now for 7 years I have noticed my testosterone level has gone down tremendously but I have to say I have been sober saved lots of money and my life has been better .My counter says The Secret is learn to live sober then learn to withdraw slowly as possible you did not become an addict overnight.”

Treeguy1349 October 19, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “So I quit methadone cold turkey at 100 mgs because I felt I was ready and that my counsellor didn't understand this. Well you all know how this turned out I'm using again and heavier than before. I let the stigma of this medicine and my family not understanding it make my decision for me. Well screw that, it's my life and I need to help myself before I end up dead. So Tuesday I will be starting methadone again I know it will be rough with the initial low doses because of my heavy heroin use but I am determined and ready to use it correctly to keep me away from other opiates. If people look down on me or whatever that's their problem and I don't need them in my life.”

BC · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 10, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “I have been in pain management for 9 years My oral morphine was 60 mg 3 X daily and had become insufficient. I was switched to methadone 30 mg daily . It is a wonderful analgesic and and I don’t seem to need more of it over time. Not becoming tolerant to the analgesic effect seems to be unique to this class of analgesics and that is a Godsend to those of us that need chronic pain control. Also, it is inexpensive - who knew! Grateful!”

Stargazer · Taken for 10 years or more October 7, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I've been on methadone for 29 years. This is very important all narcotics especially methadone will lower a male's testosterone!! It took me about six years to figure this out, since then I've been on testosterone treatment. After being on it for only six years I had a bone density of someone 30 years older than me. God bless! And good luck!”

Magee · Taken for 10 years or more October 1, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I have been on methadone for 24 yrs. Was also on it, in 1980, was sober till 89. Bad accident. Dr gave me the dreaded dilaudid..after 4 yrs. I found a Dr who cared. He saved me, I broke up with my terrible spouse, who would not quit (died an addict in 2013). Got me clean, never took another opiate from 93 on. I am now at 12mls. Went down a few this summer. I will probably be on it for a long time for back pain. Its great. I am 63, sober, and happy. Its great. Keep up the good work”

Twix September 29, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “People can falsely say all the bad things they want about Methadone because when taken as the only medication in your arsenal for drug addiction it's a lifesaver! I can FINALLY after 14 years have a normal life. I can finally have a steady job & go to college. If I kept living the way I was, I'd either be dead or homeless. Methadone saved me literally. I did try to get clean many times and did even succeed and was clean for 3 years but I still had such bad anxiety and fatigue. My brain chemicals never went back to normal. I was screwed and started using opiates again. I couldn't work or live my life for the 3 years I was 100% clean. After I started using opiates again I knew I was screwed for life and I'd be dead or homeless one day. I finally went to a methadone clinic and it was the BEST choice I ever made. I been on it for 7 months now clean from everything else. It doesn't get me high but allows me to live again!! Please don't suffer forever like I almost did.”

Kat · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 25, 2019

For Opiate Withdrawal: “I've been on Methadone for a year now.. I have a fast metabolism so I get dosed twice daily. People think the higher u go the harder it is to get off, well no not for me. I'm on 100mg in the morning and 70mg 8hrs later. It saved my life. Helped my anxiety and chronic pain. I decided to go cold turkey 15 days ago and I havent experienced any withdrawlas or side effects. I have a strong faith in God and if it weren't for him I don't think I could have done it.”

Mutti · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 8, 2019

For Chronic Pain: “My mother was taking opioids for vascular narrowing which left her feeling like she had migraines all the time. She has no other health issues, but they put her on methadone 10mg 3 times a day. We were accusing her of abusing it because of her behavior. She swore she wasn’t. She has gone from 120 to 86 pounds, has chronic stomach pain and is a shell of her former self. Yesterday, we took her to the ER. She was good all day and then they gave her a dose. She was babbling nonsense, had no idea what was going on. For her, this drug is bad news. We are hoping to treat her weight issues, loss of appetite, lose the stomach pain by taking her off this. She will be treated for depression and hopefully, they will find a better way to manage the headaches. Otherwise, we’re watching our mother die a slow death. She has no quality of life right now and at 70 she was running circles around the rest of the world. Five years later and it seems unfathomable she is in this state.”