User Reviews for Methadone

Also known as: Dolophine, Methadone Diskets, Methadose, Methadose Sugar-Free

Learn more about Methadone.

Opiate Withdrawal 183 reviews 11 medications

8.9
Chronic Pain 103 reviews 108 medications

8.8
Pain 159 reviews 1118 medications

8.5
Summary of Methadone reviews 445 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Methadone

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Im a 37 year old male I'm legally blind but I can see some I live in Austin Texas, I have 2 kids 14yo and 2.5yo. The 2.5yo has some special needs , I'm married to a royal bitch and I don't normally use that word but trust me in her case its justified. Ok my story I jumped 10 days ago from 90 mg Methadone, Day 1 and 2 were a breeze because I had so much built up in my system. Oh yeah let me tell you why I had to jump. I've been 10 months in clinic 10 sucessfull drug tests, never missed one day I had to only go to clinic 3 days a week the rest were take homes. I was 2 months away from a weekly take homes at a time. Ok so I had a business matter in Peru I could not reschedule. I asked if they could give me 5 take outs I would fly down sign the papers and ...to be continued"

Mrlogivaltx06 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "I have to say...the best thing for me. I've been on most kinds of pain medication, because of back surgery and methadone has saved my life. I take 80 mg a day. The government is making it harder to get, the pharmacy doesn't want to fill large amounts. I don't get high on the drug, but it helps tremendously with chronic pain. I am 68 years old and a liver transplant recipient. Been on it for 6 years. Constipation isn't a problem for me, it may have been at first, but my body has adjusted. Much better, then morphine, diladid or oxycontin. And cheaper by far."

Florida125 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dolophine (methadone) for Chronic Pain: "I've been on 60 mg/day for the last 17 years after I developed multiple neuropathy issues in my extremities after chemotherapy treatment. I've tried EVERYTHING else on the market that I can legally try. Methadone is the ONLY thing that works and doesn't get me high as a kite or knock me out. I will warn anyone that this medication is Very dangerous as far as CNS depression goes for the first two weeks of use. I was nodding off all over the place! The great thing is that this goes away after the first few weeks. After the initial period, I have noticed very few side effects. The ones that I have are the usual constipation that all narcotics produce. This medication will lower testosterone levels after long term use. (Longer than a year.)"

Adam1234567 July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "I have been prescribed Methadone on and off for about 18 years. I have chronic pain from fibromyalgia, degenerate disc disease, TMJ, and presently hammertoe and a bone spur on my foot. This medicine was first prescribed due to inability to afford Oxycotin. This medicine was first prescribed at a 40 mgs dose. I found this medicine to work better than the previous medication. Years later, I went to another pain clinic and they prescribed it at 20 mgs. It has worked great for 3 years. It is time for an increase. The only thing I don't like is the stigma of being a medicine for drug addicts. I have chronic pain, I don't consider myself to be a drug addict."

austin7415 (taken for 10 years or more) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I have been addicted to opiates since August 2013. I began taking oxy 30's a few times a week because I felt it helped me with depression. I recently had split up with my wife at the time. I was 33 years old and never had taken illegal drugs except for marijuana a few times. Within a year I was injecting heroin up to six times a day. Drugs had completely destroyed my life. A friend that I work with attended a methadone clinic daily and suggested for me to try it. I started going to the methadone clinic the last week of January. I have not used since I began treatment. My quality of life has drastically improved. Methadone treatment works Pay no attention to the haters."

Hoss-man June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Was prescribed methadone for withdrawal symptoms in 1979...and never realised how absolutely addicting this drug actually is. It can make one sleepy, and it doesn't make one 'high'..at the beginning however it can give what one person called ''a garrulous sense of well being'' It takes away nervousness but then one of the early symptoms of heroin/methadone withdrawal is a sense of nameless fear ..a stomach rolling anxiety. Over 30 years later, am still on methadone..being ''encouraged'' [is there a choice?] to transfer to Buperenorphine...long term addicts who have made the switch seem to rate the buprenorphine..''clearer headed''. By the way...methadone needs very careful titration in the beginning.. ''Start low go slow'' ."

Harkaway (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "Switched to Metadol {methadone hcl} from a rotation of morphine contin & hydromorph contin. The transition was without any complications or side effects. From 100mg of morphine twice daily {or 3x18mg hydromorph daily} ...to 4x10mg daily of Metadol {methadone hcl}. Almost a year has past & no worries! With 1 to 2 gms of medicinal cannabis & 40mg of Metadol daily, all of my pain and other side problems are now in the past. No side effects except lethargy {a lot of time in bed but not having quality sleep; I suspect a lack of REM sleep}. I'm attending a chronic pain clinic. I'm 65 years old with lots of youth experimentation with most rec. drugs. With acceptance from the authorities, the Metadol cost is covered."

Medewin June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "Ive been using methadone to help manage my severe chronic pain. I take 80mg over the course of 12 hrs. I have seen posts about methadone and it appears that this medication some-what blocks out effects of other opiods. This is confusing to me, reason being that I am also given 15mg oxycodone IR for breakthrough pain. So my question would be, why would my pain doc prescribe that to work in conjunction with the methadone?."

Benjamin P1225 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I was addicted to opiate's for years and eventually prescribed methadone to relieve chronic pain that was combined with opiate addiction. This medicine saved my life. It allows me to keep a steady job and be a good mother to my girls and a good partner to my boyfriend. I no longer wake up every morning with that nagging thought of ok how am I going to make it through another day. There's a lot of people who will tell you all negative information about this drug. Don't listen to them. I recommend talking to a doctor or clinic about this and staying in Narcotics Anonymous."

Cjy1988 June 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I had a bad injury years ago resulting in a rather large prescription for hydrocodine. So I was like awesome a legal script. Little did I know just how quickly I could become dependent. Soon it was oxy, roxy, morphine, luckily no needles. Then it was all my free time, money, payday advances, check cashing, pure misery to just feel normal and not ill, I'm sure many have been through it. I had heard about a clinic close by and it took away all the daily stress, and saved me probably 1000s of dollars. Hours of time, and supervised help. It was my choice. I'm at 160 mg so it will be a while before I'm completely free, but the progress I've made already is unbelievable I've even told my parents. Best choice ever."

Kc33 (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Chronic Pain: "I've had chronic pain due to a Whipple Procedure/Surgery. I had basically half of my digestive system removed. 60% of stomach & Pancreas. Removed Gall bladder. 5 other surgeries done since 1996. Removed around 11-12 feet small intestine all together. 2 feet large intestine. Serious chronic pain. I've been in the very best pain clinics in Boston, Ma. Lucky that I was there or I wouldn't have survived. This medication is in my opinion the very best if taken correctly. Take at the same time. It works well long term. I would love for someone to read this and take the plunge. Instead of me having to suffer around 12 years. My quality of life is an experience that I was convinced I would never have. You must have the correct Doctor. You WILL B Happy"

Quick Cement. June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "For 10+ years I've been on many different pain medications and still had severe pain to where I could not function on a daily basis, it was horrible. Finally after a year of different new meds and my prescription costs of $400 for a 30 day supply for one tablet a day! Insurance wouldn't pay and I certainly couldn't afford it, and my insurance still refuses to pay for any chronic pain medication. My pain doc talked to insurance and said they would pay for Methadone but nothing else! I was leary at first about going on methadone but let me tell you I'm so very happy I did, I take 10 mg 3 times a day and I finally have a life I can manage unlike before! I say it's my miracle medicine because I am able to to things instead of being bed ridden!"

Tjanlancesgramma (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I first got on methadone maintenance (MMT) in 1995 for an addiction to opioid pain meds. Once on, I never touched any other drug. I got my life back. I took 100mg daily thru my clinic. After 9 yrs I caved to pressure from my family and 12 step group who felt that I was "still using". I weaned myself from MMT in two yrs. Within a year, I started using methamphetamine, IV Heroin was next. I got back on MMT after 3 years. Been on it 8 years again. I can't stress enough how well I do on MMT. Same job, home, and freedom from the highs and lows of addiction. Only go to clinic monthly and I never have withdrawal. This should be the LAST RESORT opioid treatment, however."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "I have suffered the effects of MS for 9 years that causes constant head pain, back pain, nausea or vomiting, difficulties walking and decreased activity and depression due to my symptoms. My pain doctor put me on methadone 7 years ago and I felt the pain decrease for the first time in years. Now he has me on Burtran patches which has awful side effects and I want my life back. So I'm going back to get the methadone back. Make sure your doctor gives you the smallest dose to start then increase until it helps. If you get 10 mg right away it can be fatal! Hope this helps anyone out there."

MSpainplus March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "Methadone can be very useful for some types of chronic pain. For those who need larger doses of narcotics, methadone does not cause tolerance like morphine or oxycodone so you do not have to keep raising the dose to keep your pain in control. It does take time to kick in so be patient. Oxys or MS can be given to help till Methadone kicks in. Any narcotic can have side effects like constipation. A good doc will help you PREVENT such problems. As for comments that kick backs and conspiring with drug companies, we are under intense monitoring as some people sell the drugs to others or overdose and die. We must see patients often to prevent problems like this. If not, we loose our license or get sued. It's called good medical care."

Dr Rick March 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Methadone Diskets (methadone) for Opiate Withdrawal: "I took Methadone for 2 years for back pain. I never use it for Herion addiction. After I stopped using it ( which was 3 years ago) I still can not be medicated with any of the other opiates, or any type of tranq, not even cold medicine All my DR could say was, I've got a lot of patients like you. What the heck does the mean, that I'm on my own? Next time I have surgery I guess I drink a fifth of whiskey and bite the bullet? Does anyone a medicine that can help reverse this,"

kdsss3 March 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "Extremely effective. But now a major inconvenience and expense as have to have a doctor visit monthly to obtain prescription"

Gamermama (taken for 10 years or more) March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Pain: "I had a very severe electrical accident and got locked up to 480 for minutes from what I told. I don't remember much about it. about three years ago. I have had skin grafting to several parts of my body, surgery on both hips, it fried my nerves completely and have migraine or headaches everyday. I have tried all the the pain meds...I mean all. Eventually I was sent to a pain management clinic where my Dr wanted to immediately put me on methadone. It shocked me that he automatically went to methadone and I only thought that it was for the heroine withdrawal and I was against it 100%. We tried several meds before having to revisit going on methadone. Come to find out it total saved my life!! If your in chronic pain try it YOU WILL BE SURPRISED"

Browens80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Methadone save my life I keep money in my pocket and have not missed a day of work since on methadone"

Lenny5.0 February 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "It's a terrible drug. It has done so much damage to my body, physically, mentally, emotionally, it's disturbing. If anyone reads this, and is deciding whether or not to go onto Methadone, don't do it. You're better off doing heroin, Oxycontin, morphine, seriously! I am at 60mg now but was at 30mg 2 months ago and felt worse than I did going through heroin withdrawal. I'm well addicted to the methadone, but I'm trying so hard to get off it, but having mental health problems makes 1000000x worse. Do not get on methadone, suboxone or any opioid replacement drug they destroy you more than anything else does."

Anon31375 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chronic Pain: "I suffered chronic pain for years. Every opiate I took caused me to abuse them. Until I found methadone for my pain. I take 20-30 mg daily with meloxicam and eat very well and I am able to work, function and live life like a normal human being. I believe doctors don't like to write this medicine for pain because it is not as costly as the others and also they don't receive kickback from prescribing a 20 dollar a month medication. It costs 20 bucks for 120 pills and for perc 10s it cost 200- 300. Just sad how the government and some doctors will work."

Magdolania (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "It has worked amazingly for me, but if you have to go More than 48 hours without it then be ready to go through the 7th circle of hell cause it's 100 times worse than pill or heroin withdrawal"

RocketG January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Never lost any teeth, been on methadone on and off since I was 20 am now 37. I was a IV drug user and had a problem smoking crack. I believe it is a myth that your teeth fall out. I have been clean now 6 years nothing helped me, but the methadone. The key to being clean is you just have to be sick and tired of running after I been homeless,they took my kids - I just got sick of it . I am currently been on the same dose for years , been clean of all drugs, and have my children back. Methadone also helps me with my pain I experience due to 2 back surgeries. It saved my life and my family!"

MaryT.1212 January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "Is there anyone out there that methadone has caused you to lose your teeth after taking it for a long time? "

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Opiate Withdrawal: "I am a 39 year old female who has been taking 120 mg of methadone daily to help with opiate addiction. I was addicted to opiates for 8 years after having several different surgeries over a 5 year span. My addiction took over my life I was doing things I'd never otherwise have done to support my habit eventually losing custody of my son which was my breaking point. I found a local methadone clinic and it saved my life and I got custody of my son back within the first two months of starting methadone treatment. The downside is the 80 lbs I've gained and the loss of several teeth but honestly that's a small price to pay to be off the horrible rollercoaster ride that drug addiction becomes. I thank God every day for this second Chance at life."

LumbeeLissa (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 4, 2017